PDA

View Full Version : Worsted Wool?

Kilgore_Trout
05-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Ok so I have a pattern that calls for worsted wool weight yarn, and size 13 needles, and you're supposed to use 2 strands at once. The problem is that I can only find worsted wool thats thin (like normal yarn thin) and the result I get is very "fishnet like". Extremely loose! Are there thicker yarns that I should be using? The pattern does call for felting at the end, which I've never done before. Does felting get rid of this fish net looseness? Help! :??

kimmie
05-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Sorry, I'm not answering your post, but all I could think of was "fishnet" and "trout" and my mind couldn't get back to the real question...
kimmie

Kilgore_Trout
05-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Kimmie, yeah that lands me pretty close to the PETA discussion!

Mer
05-28-2005, 09:54 AM
When you felt it, it will pull together quite a bit and fill in all the holes. You can always knit up a little swatch using the 2 strands of the yarn with the size 13 needles and try felting that to make sure that it looks the way you'd like!

rebecca
05-28-2005, 04:31 PM
as u 'felt' the wool will shrink...have u ever had a favorite sweater or something & put it in the washing machine when the washing directions said hand wash only?....the result...your garment becomes much smaller and looks rather like 'felt' as we know it....this is what u r going to be doing in your project, just on purpose. it's an excellent idea to do just as mer said and knit up a swatch with the 2 strands held together as directions say, on your size 13 needs....bind off and felt away. remember, when u r felting and yhour washing machine reaches the agitation phase, check periodically to see if your item has felted and/or shrunk to your satisfaction....sometimes it will not take the entire agitation phase of the washer....sometimes it takes doing it more than once....any help...or did i just confuse u?!

jodstr2
05-28-2005, 04:37 PM
I third (fourth?) the felting/loose knit reasons... a lot of the felted patterns I've seen call for big needles. one of my LYSs told me that the loose stitch is necessary so the yarn has sufficient room to "rub upon itself" in the wash.
good luck Kilgore_Trout! I :heart: felting!

Kilgore_Trout
05-29-2005, 04:51 AM
Thanks for your help guys! It sounds like I just need to trust the pattern. I actually only have the size 11 circ, not 13, but I think I'm gonna try it anyways...? My yarn source here in Berlin is less than well stocked with assorted needles, anything bigger than 6mm and you can forget it. And this felting thing should work with any 100% worsted wool yarn, huh?

rebecca
05-29-2005, 06:47 AM
any 100% wool should felt

KellyK
05-29-2005, 11:33 AM
What is it that you are making, Kilgore? Because, if its something that has to fit, like slippers, that needle size is gonna be important. Unless you just dont felt it as much, but then your sts are most likely going to show in the finished product, which kinda defeats the purpose of the felting. Check out the pics in my blog thread of the fiber trends clogs I made....you can see how huge and loose the pre-felted things are, and compare them to the FOs.

MaryB
05-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Any 100% wool that is not super washedwill felt. Make sure that the wool is marked "hand wash only".
My other thought is that usually double strands of worsted wool on a size 11 needle should not look really fishnet. It will be slightly loose, but not open weave.

jodstr2
05-29-2005, 01:00 PM
some lighter colored wool doesn't felt well because of the bleaching processing involved.

Kilgore_Trout
05-31-2005, 01:54 AM
MaryB....
thats what I'm saying! Double strand worsted woll seems like it should fit size 11 needles? Is there a standard gauge for the yarn or am I using something WAY too thin? The results are definetely fishnetty. I'm making a tote bag so fitting perfectly is not an issue, I just want it to be more or less the right size so I don't end up with a tiny bag...

MaryB
05-31-2005, 08:02 AM
I agree with those who have suggested a test swatch. For a tote bag it really shouldn't matter whether you use an 11 or a 13 needle. Give the yarn a test------hope it works well.

cheesiesmom
05-31-2005, 09:52 AM
It sounds like I'm having the opposite problem. I knitted up a swatch with 2 strands of Paton Merino wool (I thought it would be perfect to felt). But there is absolutely no fishnet look about it. I'm not a "tight" knitter, I don't think, but the two strands worked up to a very thick, even swatch. There's no guage on the pattern (its a felted hat), should I size up the needles to get a looser knit??

Stacy
05-31-2005, 09:57 AM
I am making a tote with worsted weight wool yarn, two ply on 13 circular needles, and it does not look fish 'netty' at all. It looks like very large stokinette stitch.

Stacy

MaryB
05-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Stacy, I agree with you. I just finished a large tote. I used 2 strands of Cascade 220 and size 13 needles. It is thick and just looks like a large stockinette stitch.

Kilgore_Trout
05-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Well I'm excited about all the input. I think my problem really is my yarn. I'm living in Germany and I *think* I've found the german "worsted" yarn, but it is quite thin. If my double strand with size 11 needles is coming out very fishnetty, I've definetely got a problem. Stacy sounds like shes making what I'm making.
Would someone be so kind as to measure their worsted weight wool in milimeters and tell me how wide/thick it is, roughly? THANKS!

Test swatch is in the works, but I think I might be wasting my time with this yarn...

KellyK
05-31-2005, 12:13 PM
DONT PITCH IT no matter the results...maybe you can see if you get the right gauge with THREE strands?

cheesiesmom
05-31-2005, 07:14 PM
http://www.woolfestival.com/articles/WPI.htm

KT, check this link. It talks abouts wraps per inch. Apparently US worsted wool should equate to 12 WPI. There are other equivalents for sport, fingering, etc. I have a pattern where the yardage of calculated by WPI (it's one o f those knit to fit you things using any needle/yarn)

Maybe if you Google worsted weight yarn in germany, you'd get some sort of equivalent. Perhaps they call it something different in Europe.

The posters here got me started on Google. I Google everything now!

Stacy
06-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Kilgore,

The measurement of the yarn that I used was 3mm wide.

Here is a picuture of the tote before I felt it. (The tote is in the spin cycle as I type this.. :shock: ) I get so nervous. I put the box of tissue in the picture to get an idea of how big the tote is right now.

Stacy

benniesma
06-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Stacy - that's huge! :) Make sure to post pic with the tissue box again so we can see how much it shrank!

I'm working on a tote right now too. My stitches also look like a large stockinette. I'm glad it's just a tote so I don't have to worry much about the fit.

Stacy
06-01-2005, 08:16 PM
The bag came out fuzzy. I think I left it in the washer too long. I will post a picture when it is finished drying. I am leaving for Chicago in the morning, so I will post it when I get back next week.

Stacy

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-01-2005, 09:38 PM
OMG!!!! You're going to be in Chicago!!!! I hope you're staying with KK, she's right by the airport!!!

Kilgore_Trout
06-02-2005, 12:26 PM
eh hem.....figured out my problem. Half translation problem and half me being a dityz he he. So I think Iīm going to try the tote bag with size 11 needles since the difference between 11 and 13 isnīt that big....Has anyone tried something like that before and had it work out?