PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bootie Pattern

knitqueen
05-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Here is the pattern for the baby booties I posted a pic of on the recently finished projects thread:

I used size 3 needles and yarn with a gauge of 28st and 36rows = 4". Using larger needles and yarn appropriate for the needles would just produce a larger bootie. Using size 3 and the yarn I used produced a bootie that is definitely in the 0-3 month range - they measure an approximate foot length of 3.5".

Cast on 40 stitches

Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: Knit
Repeat these 3 rows 5 times more for a total of 18 rows.

Row 19: Knit
Row 20: *K1, YO, K2tog* repeat to last stitch, K1 (this produces holes for threading a ribbon through for a tie - if no ribbon desired, just purl this whole row)
Row 21: Knit
Row 22: K25, put rest on stitch holder
Row 23: P10, put rest on stitch holder

Row 24: Knit
Row 25: Purl
Row 26: Knit
Repeat these 3 rows 4 times more

Row 38: RS - K10, pick up 10 stitches along edge, put stitches on holder back onto needle and knit to end of row
Row 39: Purl across, pick up 10 stitches on other edge (I found this a bit tricky, I tried to pick them up purlwise ie. with the yarn still in FRONT of work so that the messy edges stayed on the inside of the bootie) put stitches on holder back on needle and purl to end of row

You will now have a total of 60 stitches on the needle.

Row 40: Knit
Row 41: Purl
Row 42: Knit
Repeat these 3 rows 3 times more

Row 51: Knit
Row 52: Purl
Row 53: Bind off 25 stitches, knit across rest of row
Row 54: Bind of 25 stitches, knit across rest of row - 10 stitches remain

Knit 33 rows, then K2tog on each end of each row until 4 stitches remain. Bind of rest of stitches.

Stitch ankle together first, then stitch sole.

:XX:

newtoknit
05-31-2005, 05:21 PM
OH wow...those look soooo cute! And that pattern looks fairly easy..even for a newbie like myself! :D Now I just have to find someone that is having a baby so I can make them! ;)

knitqueen
05-31-2005, 05:39 PM
newtoknit, it is SOOOOO easy. It is not knit in the round like a lot of booties/socks are, and the trickiest thing you have to be able to do is pick up stitches, which isn't all that tricky especially if you've watched Amy's videos!! ;)

Give it a try - it's a good instant gratification project and a good one for practising quite a few different skills, and if you make a mistake, no biggie - just try again. I made the one bootie in about 2 hours yesterday.

knitqueen
05-31-2005, 05:40 PM
By the way, newtoknit, how is the hoodie project going????

newtoknit
05-31-2005, 07:16 PM
Hey there! Thanks for asking. Well, I'm kind of slow. I've just ALMOST got the back finished. I think I'll do the sleeves next or maybe the pocket...I don't think I could bare to do the front right now. I need something that I can finish a little faster to feel better about it. Does that make sense?

knitqueen
05-31-2005, 07:21 PM
Yep, there's nothing like finishing a piece to the puzzle!! Do the pocket next - that's what I did first and it felt really good to accomplish it!

MrsBear87
06-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Since my sister is expecting her first (at 42!) I see several pairs of these in my future.

I'm hoping to use some stash odds and ends - about how much yarn to make a set?

knitqueen
06-01-2005, 11:24 AM
I couldn't tell you how many yards I used, but it was very little. The total yardage of the ball I used was 200yd and I had already made an adult sized sock using it - then one baby bootie and there's still a bit leftover.

Good luck!!

bhamilton
06-02-2005, 03:57 PM
First off I have been knitting for two weeks and am still trying to picture in my mind a lot of what knitting patterns will look like when complete. That said...I have a girl friend who is having twins. I am attempting booties, but the stitch the ankle first then the sole has me puzzled...Does one do this with knitting needles? Won't there be a funny think seam down the middle of the ankle??? I just can't figure this one out. Will someone please explain this to me.

Julie
06-02-2005, 04:05 PM
bh, think of it like a shoe: the up-and-down seam at the ankle is the first seam you sew, with a tapestry/yarn needle. Then you sew the upper of the bootie to the sole. Does that help?

bhamilton
06-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks Julie!!!
That makes so much sense now that you put it that way.

brendajos
08-17-2005, 01:41 PM
i have a question about this pattern...i am about ready to start it (though i am not sure i have enough yarn for two booties... :thinking:

anyway....the question i is in the first part of the pattern. i just want to make sure i am doing it right. i initially figured it was just 18 rows of stockinette but i think that is wrong. if i read it literally it says basically:

Knit
purl
knit
knit
purl
knit
etc...

is it true that i am doubling up on that knit row?

thanks!!

knitqueen
08-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Yes, it forms little ribs.

brendajos
08-17-2005, 02:13 PM
woo hoo i am glad you were around cuz i was just about to start winging it. i did an entire bootie in another pattern last night before i went to bed and realized that there was NO way anybody could get that on someone's foot. i could only get my finger through the ankle hole...would be a good size for a glove i guess...lol

thank ya ma'am!! now let's cross our fingers that i have enough yarn leftover from my hat! :rofling:

knitqueen
08-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Well, when I made the pair that I have pictured above, I was shocked how little yarn it took. There was enough for both booties leftover from a ball of yarn that I had already made a large adults sock from. Hope you have enough too!!

brendajos
08-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Repeat these 3 rows 4 times more

Row 38: RS - K10, pick up 10 stitches along edge, put stitches on holder back onto needle and knit to end of row
Row 39: Purl across, pick up 10 stitches on other edge (I found this a bit tricky, I tried to pick them up purlwise ie. with the yarn still in FRONT of work so that the messy edges stayed on the inside of the bootie) put stitches on holder back on needle and purl to end of row

You will now have a total of 60 stitches on the needle.

Row 40: Knit
Row 41: Purl
Row 42: Knit
Repeat these 3 rows 3 times more

Row 51: Knit
Row 52: Purl
Row 53: Bind off 25 stitches, knit across rest of row
Row 54: Bind of 25 stitches, knit across rest of row - 10 stitches remain

Knit 33 rows, then K2tog on each end of each row until 4 stitches remain. Bind of rest of stitches.

Stitch ankle together first, then stitch sole.

:XX:

okay i am confused a bit. i am about to knit row 38. i am assuming that the knit 10 comes from the stitches on the needle already. where am i picking up the other 10? off the right edge of the tongue thingy i have been knitting?

knitqueen
08-18-2005, 01:00 AM
Yes, knit the 10 that are currently on your needle, then pick up 10 from along the edge of what you just finished knitting. It doesn't look like a bootie at this point, but pretty soon you'll be like, ahhhhhhhhh, that makes sense!!

brendajos
08-18-2005, 01:42 AM
lol...i am so glad you are around when i am having the :?? moments! i got it done and i must say...not much of a fan of that second set of pick up stitches....sheeesh...i do think i have given up believing that i am going to get one done tonight though...lol

dustinac
08-18-2005, 06:54 AM
:happydance: Go Brendajosos.. LOL don't you love those Pick up stitches!!! :lol:

brendajos
08-19-2005, 11:06 AM
One down....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/Knitted%20Stuff/theLoneBootie.jpg

i wasn't enjoying knitting it much after i had the 60 stitches on my needle cuz of that lump that was sitting there but i am pretty happy with how cute it is....now mebbe i should do the other one too! ;)

knitqueen
08-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Yes, you should do the other one!! It looks really cute and I love the colors. I hope the pattern wasn't too confusing for you. It's neat how it comes together, isn't it?? :XX:

macchu
09-09-2005, 02:31 PM
This is my first visit to this forum.Good one...just what i wanted as a beginner in knitting.
It is a cute bootie....i am going to knit it soon after i finish my newborn cap for my friend's baby...thanks for the pattern..

Mer
10-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Yay, I finished a bootie! I obviously messed up on the top part--misread the pattern. But I think it works that way. Now I just need to do the other one...

http://static.flickr.com/28/49799739_6f67c51a33.jpg

sunnyreflections
11-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Yes, knit the 10 that are currently on your needle, then pick up 10 from along the edge of what you just finished knitting.

Ok, I am right here (knitted the 10), but I have no idea how to pick up 10 stitches from what I just knitted. I didn't bind off or anything. Was I supposed to?? How do you pick up stitches in the middle of work? Can anyone direct me on how to do this??? Is there a video for this??? I am SO very confused. Thanks!

knitqueen
11-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Okay, let me see if I can explain this for you.

For the first however many rows, you are working on all of the 40 stitches that you initially casted on. Then you come to this instruction:
Row 22: K25, put rest on stitch holder
Row 23: P10, put rest on stitch holder

So you knit 25 stitches, put the remaining 15 stitches on a holder. Then turn the work, purl 10 stitches, put the remaining 15 stitches on a holder. So at this point you are working on only the middle 10 stitches. Are we on the same page here so far??

So for the next 15 rows you are only going to work those middle 10 stitches. What you end up with is a rectangle of knitting where you started off (with the 40 stitches), then 15 stitches on hold on either side of that rectangle and a long strip going up the middle using only the 10 center stitches, right?

So from there is where you pick up the stitches. You have your 10 on the needle and you are going to be picking up stitches along the side of that long strip that you have just formed.

Now if I've just rambled on and on and you already knew how to do that part and it was just a matter of not being sure how to actually pick up stitches, there IS a video for that on this page (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php).

Hope I've been helpful.

brendajos
11-09-2005, 01:17 AM
uh oh.....i loved doing this pattern...y'all are going to get me goin' doing another pair!...lol

sunnyreflections
11-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Now if I've just rambled on and on and you already knew how to do that part and it was just a matter of not being sure how to actually pick up stitches, there IS a video for that on this page.

Ok, I know I am going to sound completely stupid, but here goes. :oops: :oops:

I know how to pick up stitches, but only after I have a finshed product and am adding a border (I have picked up stitches only 4 times with a blanket I was doing).

So, do I leave my needle in the 10 stitches I was working on and use another needle to pick up stitches or do I use the same needle to pick up the other 10 stitches?

Sorry I am such a pain! ;)

knitqueen
11-09-2005, 11:47 AM
If it's not too much of a stretch to pick up the stitches with the same needle that you are already working with then do it, otherwise, for the sake of ease, use a different needle to pick those up. None of this bootie pattern is worked 'in the round' so theoretically you don't NEED another needle but if it makes picking them up easier than go for it and adjust the stitches later.

Good luck!

wildforyarn
11-09-2005, 04:42 PM
All of the complete booties are soo cute! What yarns did you all use? I would love to make these for my nephew!

sunnyreflections
11-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Ok, got through the picking up stitches...it was easier than I was making it out to be, however, I am on the last run of stitches (knitting 10 stitches for 33 rows) and am starting to think it looks way too big for some reason. If the edges are suppose to match up and form the ankle, I might need to take it apart. I casted on 40 stitches to begin with, but man it looks WAY too big. What could I have done wrong???

brendajos
11-29-2005, 08:59 AM
bumping for my own personal use! ;) :thumbsup:

wildforyarn
11-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Actually, thanks for bumping... I was wondering what yarn you used for the booties. It was really cool... I looked back and don't think you ever mentioned it. Thanks!

brendajos
11-29-2005, 02:39 PM
i don't remember what the color was called but it was a Plymouth Encore yarn.

wildforyarn
11-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks so much! Just the brand helps. Now I can find the color or similar colors... thanks so much!

knitqueen
01-17-2006, 02:16 AM
The one that I pictured, in the first post of this thread, was made with Bernat Sox in the colour 'hot tamale'.

wildforyarn
01-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks Knitqueen! I love the color of those booties! I will have to search out that yarn! :inlove:

Kid Showbiz
02-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Bumping this for my own personal use. :??

I'm on the knit 10 for 33 rows-- and I am confused. This thing is suddenly huge. What part does this make up? Anyone know?

KristiMetz
02-26-2006, 06:01 PM
What a cool pattern! I've been looking for a baby bootie pattern to use and this is perfect.

Say - I have some Bernat Sox in the camouflage colorway... I'm wondering if newborn booties in this colorway for someone expecting a boy would be tasteful? Or should I stick with more traditional colors? I have an acquaintance who's having a baby, and I'm making her some gifts more for nostalgia's sake than anything, I don't really have any idea how her tastes run, KWIM?

Jenelle
02-26-2006, 09:12 PM
So cute!! :heart:

How long does it take to make one of these?

brendajos
02-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Bumping this for my own personal use. :??

I'm on the knit 10 for 33 rows-- and I am confused. This thing is suddenly huge. What part does this make up? Anyone know?

if you are talking about the last instruction before putting it all together that is the sole of the bootie.

Janelle, it depends on what you mean... :rofling: it doesn't talk long to do the knitting at all. I have two of them at the bottom of my knitting bag that have been waiting to be stitched together for about....4 months? :rollseyes:

Jenelle
02-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Soo, they don't take that long then?

So, your knitting them on straights and then seaming them, right? :??

brendajos
02-28-2006, 02:33 PM
well i don't actually knit anything on straights but yes, they are not knit in the round.

Jenelle
02-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Good to hear!

For the stitch holders, could you use DPN's?? (sorry for all the questions :?)

brendajos
02-28-2006, 02:55 PM
sure or just a piece of waste yarn.

Jenelle
02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Okay thank you! :)

bella21
10-01-2006, 04:13 PM
hi i am new here and in some desperate need of help.....i have been trying to make these baby booties out of this book i have called "chick knits" and anyway this pattern i always get stuck on and i am so fustrated and no one can help me :(

here is the pattern:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/siciliancuttie/1234.jpg

i get reall confused cause i followed every and then when i get up to where it says i should have 44 sts cause i only have 19! please anybody if you can help that would be great!

bella21
10-04-2006, 04:46 PM
nobody.... :pout:

knitqueen
10-04-2006, 04:49 PM
bella21, I am SO sorry that no one saw this sooner. I will try to get back to you shortly, tonight at the latest.

knitqueen
10-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Okay, it looks like you have 2 parts. One that you work first and leave on a holder, then you start the second part by casting on 7 stitches (I figure you're making the middle size?) and working the set # of rows in stockinette stitch. Once you finish the first set of st st, you are going to cut the yarn but leave those 7 stitches on a needle. Now you are going to rejoin the yarn, but at the bottom corner. If you picture it like a square with the 7 live stitches at the top of the square, you will start at the lower right corner and you will pick up 9 stitches up that side. Now, you will knit across the 7 stitches at the top (so now you're at 16 stitches total). Next, you will pick up 9 stitches down the left side to the lower left corner of your 'square'. Now you have a total of 25 stitches. Now you will take the 19 stitches that you had on hold from the first part of the pattern and you will knit those 19 onto the same needle (or needles) that are holding the other 25 stitches, ensuring that the buttonhole is to the left of the needle. So the 25 stitches that are around 3 sides of that 'square' plus the 19 stitches from the first step, together total 44 stitches.