PDA

View Full Version : A new online sock yarn store

amy
06-03-2005, 01:00 AM
For you sock knitters, check out this brand new store: SimplySockyarn.com (http://www.simplysockyarn.com/StoreFront.bok). Great selection, very reasonable prices from what I saw, and very low shipping ($3.85 flat rate, or free if order is over $50).

They even have worsted weight sock yarn, which is next to impossible to find! For fast sock knitting! In socky stripes and colors! :happydance: ...This would be their Cascade Fixation yarns, all three styles. These are cotton yarns, with elastic in them for that needed stretch. I've not tried these yarns, but they sure look enticing! Their prices on it compare to eBay, very good indeed.

Just had to share. I've got my plate full of projects, but I'm seriously considering some Cascade Fixation socks anyway. Cotton socks: perfect for summer!

mascarasnake
06-03-2005, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the link, Amy! I've used Fixation for socks before and it's really nice. It does take a few rows to get used to working with it, but I'm hot-footed ;) so I like other options besides wool for socks.

rebecca
06-03-2005, 04:16 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: I :heart: :heart: :heart: :XX: socks as everyone knows.. :D ....i think i might have to try some other projects with sock wt yarn...i've been thinking about that...and worshted, too...i need to go have a nice long ponder with the site
cya
:waving:
becka

JLC
06-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Oh....my....Gosh! I am so very much addicted to socks, and wouldn't you know it, my yarn fast is over tomorrow, so I just need to spend some time today picking out what I want! Thanks for the link Amy!!! :cheering:

Nuno930
06-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Can someone tell me why you need special yarn for socks? I (until just this second) though "sock yarn" refered to a weight... but then Amy said worsted weight sock yarn and I am all sorts of confused now :??

JLC
06-03-2005, 09:20 AM
I think because sock yarn usually blends wool or cotton (or whatever) with something stretchy and that wears well, like nylon, so they last longer. I usually see sock yarn with 75% wool and 25% nylon, and the cotton ones usually have elastic or some other synthetic blend. And they have different weights, usually sock yarn is fingering weight (I think) so to find worsted with the blend is kind of rare? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm kind of speculating on part of this.

Holly
06-03-2005, 10:15 AM
I've never tried knitting socks, but I've been considering trying them for a new challenge. Any ideas on a simple sock pattern for a sock-making newbie? :D

Holly

P.S. In Kelly and Hilde's pictures I noticed that Kelly's sock looked like it was being knit on a circular needle...what technique is that? Is it easier than DPN's?

Rennagayle
06-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Fantastic! I love all cotton socks! In our warm climate, wool is rarely needed.

KellyK
06-03-2005, 01:37 PM
I noticed that Kelly's sock looked like it was being knit on a circular needle...what technique is that? Is it easier than DPN's?

I personally thought it was....I attempted a sock on DPNs and the needles kept falling out of the work. It was on TWO circs, btw....check Amy's video for "small diameter knitting" for the how-to's!

Julie
06-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Holly, you should check out Silver's sock tutorial...if I ever knit socks, that's where I'll go first. I don't have the link though....anyone?? ;)

Nuno930
06-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Holly, you should check out Silver's sock tutorial...if I ever knit socks, that's where I'll go first. I don't have the link though....anyone?? ;)

Silver's Sock Class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm)

Holly
06-03-2005, 02:28 PM
:sunny: Thank you! Socks seem like a great summer project --not bulky and hot :D

Holly

VickiIL
06-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Where can I find sock yarns more reasonable priced? I have never knit apair of socks before and their $ run at least $6+ a skein. Now I realize now that I have been knitting for a while that this is a decent price for yarn however needed 2 skeins for a pair of socks brings me to $12+ dollars a pair and I have no idea if they will turn out wearable!

Can you tell socks intimidate me? Anyways knitpicks has some decent prices but they are wool and can't be machine washed. (Socks MUST be machine washed in this house. (we have 5 pairs of feet!...That is a lot of socks!) Are their any machine washable sock yarns at knitpicks prices?

amy
06-03-2005, 04:20 PM
I think because sock yarn usually blends wool or cotton (or whatever) with something stretchy and that wears well, like nylon, so they last longer. I usually see sock yarn with 75% wool and 25% nylon, and the cotton ones usually have elastic or some other synthetic blend. And they have different weights, usually sock yarn is fingering weight (I think) so to find worsted with the blend is kind of rare? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm kind of speculating on part of this.

Exactly. JLC's hit it on the head, on all counts. Wool is typically blended with nylon for better wear. Also "sock yarns" when they are multi-colored, have color patterning that is meant to be knit up into a sock. Some of them create very neat effects, that you won't find in a yarn intended for things other than socks.

Vicki, Knitpicks does have great prices for sock yarns, but as you said, I don't think they're machine washable, and many of them (all of them?) do not have nylon in them, and wools like merino, nice as they feel on the feet, apparently wear through much faster than tougher wools or reinforced wools. I don't know of any low-priced machine washable soft wool blends, but didn't this new store have a machine washable merino sock yarn? Fingering weight, I can't recall the price. What about the cotton worsted weight, seems like you could machine wash that one; right Mascara?

suziehomemaker
06-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Vicki - You could always try Wool Ease at Michael's or Joann's. I believe it's machine washable, decent price and the 40% percent off coupons in every Sunday paper could help too. I made a scarf with this yarn and it turned out ok, it's not the same quality as what you would find in a LYS but they're going in boots anyway!

Rennagayle
06-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Vicki, I put off attempting socks for some time for pretty much the same reason as you. I didn't want to be out several dollars for a pair of socks which might or might not prove to be wearable. However, I really did want to try my hand at socks! What I finally decided to do was to knit a pair in some cheap acrylic yarn I got at Wal-Mart. That way I was able to work through the learning process without feeling badly about money wasted. :D

However, I still haven't finished the pair I started. :blush:

rebecca
06-09-2005, 06:10 AM
Vicki....u can try ebay; I've gotten great yarn from a very nice lady there; her ebay username is jujumar and the yarn that she has on tonite that I just saw is 'confetti' & it knits up quite nicely. I will post a picture of a pair of socks i did with them...but, before i do...bc of the angel of my camera it looks like a HUGE foot and shorter leg of the sock, the leg part of the sock is really & truly longer...lol....these were the socks that i put in my 20 yr old daughter's Easter basket (well, 1 of them)....she's the only other person that gets my socks...lol!
i am just about to buy a hank of this BEAUTIFUL yarn from simplysockyarn.com..it's opal, hand painted #20...and it is too pretty & i'm going to knit these really stunning lacey socks with cables in them called Tipsy Knitter Socks on pg 41 of the book SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS, if anyone has it....that's the book my :heart: sweet, :heart: sweet :heart: lover :inlove: man :o surprised me with...and l :heart: IT...and him...lol
vicki, i'm attaching the socks..very reasonable; these that she has on there now r for 4 balls! and it knits very well...her comes the picture...i hope..lol

VickiIL
06-09-2005, 07:42 AM
ok so after all of your encouragement I am about to try my first pair of socks. The nice lady at my LYS (actually it isn't very local to me but close to where my kids get therapy) helped me pick out an inexpensive yarn to try it with and also gave me a pattern. What a sweet woman! So I am going to try to knit a pair of socks for my son. If I am successful at making a pair that is wearable, I have my eye on a few yarns from Simply Sock Yarn and am going to try so more.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Stacy
06-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Rebecca I really like those socks. I love the cable down the side. I just learned to cable this past weekend and I LOVE it. I never thought about cable in socks. :happydance:

Vicki ~ I am taking a lesson tonight on socks and my LYS. I am very excited. :cheering: Maybe we could bounce questions off of each other.

Stacy

rebecca
06-09-2005, 09:13 AM
http://diynet.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_36323,00.html

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
WTG VICKI....
should u have problems there r tutorials all over this internet (how i learned) and when I watched this show on knitty gritty called 'sock it to me' it was as if :figureditout: ....no kidding. the girl, karen baumer that was on as the guest explains everything sooo easily; fyi...i've emailed karen baumer a couple of times with questions and she very nicely answered them & explained the answer as if she were sitting right next to me...her emai is on the website at the end of one of the segments; some of which are videod...thank God!!
i'm gonna look around for some more tutorials on here that may be helpful. amy has videos that will help, too!!
I'm so excited!!!!
http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html
here's another that may be of some help
http://www.socknitters.com/FAQ/FAQ_how.htm
and yet....another
http://knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/profile/011018_a.asp
that should do for a while...ask away if u have questions....BUT....
most importantly.....HAVE FUN :thumbsup:

rebecca
06-09-2005, 09:34 AM
http://www.colby.edu/personal/l/leosborn/anniversox.htm

thanks very much, stacey!! That's so sweet of you. The pattern is above. They really aren't hard...they were actually my 1st cabling project! I knit in tandem on dpns....so I had 10 dpns for the socks and 1 cable needle (I prefer the short cable needle that looks like very short dpn) and my sister gave me the nick name rebecca knitterhands....u know...like the guy (johnny depp) in edward scissorhands...lol! they were very fun to make...as a matter of fact...i'm off to work on a pair now bc renovations have been going on in the kitchen & r about to end in here...then start in bathroom; so i'm lucky to have gotten on comupter as long as i have....secret...got up very early
HAVE FUN FUN WITH YOUR SOCKS & CABLES, GIRLS....U WILL :heart: :heart: :heart: it!!! and don't let the dpns scare u...if u get intimidated...just switch to a larger size needle & yarn until u have more of 'a feel' of handling all those needles & small yarn.
have fun!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Stonington
06-09-2005, 12:38 PM
Rebecca.... I love those socks.. I would like to pick up the needles and yarn this weekend :XX: while we are in New Hampshire for the Lupine Festival. The directions do not state needle size.. could you tell me what did you use? Thanks so much! anne :sunny:

rebecca
06-09-2005, 02:20 PM
anne, i think that it depends more upon you, the yarn you use & the gauge with the yarn & needle selection
I used confetti yarn and used size 1 dpns, i am a tight knitter & i think that they would have looked better had i used a size 0
and my gauge was 9 sts per inch so i had to adjust the pattern accordingly.
I didn't write the pattern, i was just rereading it; it would be my suggestion that if u don't want to have to redo #s of sts, etc in the pattern that u choose your favorite yarn & then work with your dpns until u get the one that will give you the required 61/2 to 7 sts per inch as stated in the pattern.
I'm sorry that I could be of no more help to you.

Stonington
06-09-2005, 02:54 PM
:cheering: Thank you for your response! I will pick pick up 0 and 1's then see what works for me with the yarn I find. :?? all a huge learning experience for me lol.

rebecca
06-09-2005, 03:21 PM
anne...1st look at the yarn to see what size dpns that the particular yarn that you buy recommends...they could recommend something entirely different & u could be way off with the sizes of 0 and 1; I would also suggest that u show the pattern to the person working at the yarn shop & ask his/her thoughts on the matter...
and....you are surely welcome
do u already have the yarn?.....well, excuse me...i just read that u do not have the yarn.... :doh: duh....perhaps I should sometimes just pat attention...lol

Stonington
06-09-2005, 03:27 PM
:XX: no yarn yet... will take the pattern with me.. that is a good idea :lol: Do you use mostly wool yarn? I want to make these for DH to wear inside his waders when he goes fly fishing. So they need to be "wash and wear" :sunny:

hedgehog
06-09-2005, 03:46 PM
i know this thread is about knitting socks primarily, but as it's also about the yarn i just wanted to jump in and say that i LOVE these sweater patterns (http://www.beeskneesknits.ca/) made with sock yarns....

Now.. i just need to find a kid to make them for!! Why didn't i knit when my nephews were younger?? :doh: hehehe.. :)

rebecca
06-09-2005, 04:02 PM
those r tooooo cute!!

Stacy
06-10-2005, 11:15 AM
I started the socks last night, and BOY was it frustrating at first. I couldn't figure out how to join the round, and then knitting with such little yarn, I actually had to find my glasses :doh:

This morning was much better. I was so frustrated last night that I just walked away from it. I guess I must have been tired, because by the time I did a round this morning it was like a light bulb had gone off :idea:

I only have about a quarter inch completed, but it is better than last night.

Thanks for all of the great sites Rebecca. I know they will come in handy.

Stacy

VickiIL
06-10-2005, 03:27 PM
I started mine yesterday too. I finished turning the heel and now I have to pick up stitches for the gusset. I have looked at Amy's video a couple times and then go to do it and i can't seem to figure it out. I am going to look at it again after the baby goes down for a nap.

Stacy
06-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Wow! Vickie, you really knit fast! I am no where near the heel. I am supposed to knit six inches and then do the heel. I was thinking of only doing two because I don't usally wear socks. I like anklets better. Hmmm...I wonder if it would make a difference?

Stacy

rebecca
06-10-2005, 05:12 PM
if u like anklets....knit anklets...your socks, right?

VickiIL
06-10-2005, 05:36 PM
That was the directions for this sock as well. How ever I only did three. It is my 6 yo's sock. Who has 6 inches on a sock for a 6 yo. Anyways. I have picked up my stitches and now I am stuck on my decrease rows. Time to go watch Amy's video again.

rebecca
06-10-2005, 07:46 PM
you'll get it!!

rebecca
06-10-2005, 10:37 PM
I should be getting my new yarn from this new yarn store that we are talking about on this link.....www.simplysockyarn & it is beeeeeautiful!!! And....then after i finish my current project i'm knitting them from the book my lover man got for me SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS.....they will be gorgeous....then she has this to die for mohair type yarn that i've got to have that i've had an eye on the socks for it for a while.....i'll have to find the post & show ya
later

knitqueen
06-10-2005, 11:27 PM
This is the only sock (yes, singular....poor lonely sock.... :( ) I have ever knit. The 56 stitch 56 row sock (http://www.knittingnow.com/patterns/pattern_56StitchSock.asp) found in the free patterns section of this website. If you understand knitting pattern lingo, this was a perfect beginner sock. I found the pattern concise and easy to follow. The sock itself was very plain - no ribbing except for the top 2 inches or so (another sock I had attempted was ALL ribbing and it was driving me mental :doh: ). I would recommend this pattern to anyone.

rebecca
06-11-2005, 03:29 AM
i don't remember exactly which pattern was my 1st sock, but after u get that basic sock down you're golden; you can make up things on the cuff, etc

Stacy
06-11-2005, 02:52 PM
That is a neat pattern knitqueen. I may have to give that a try!

Rebecca ~ I can't wait to see your socks. They sound very cool. You have been so excited about that book I may have to look into it, now that the socks aren't as scary as I thought they were going to be. ;)

Stacy

VickiIL
06-11-2005, 04:24 PM
I did it! :cheering: And it wasn't nearly as hard as I anticipated! Now I only have one sock done but my son is thrilled. I will have to post a picture later! Thanks for the encouragement ladies!

rebecca
06-12-2005, 02:23 AM
:cheering: :cheering: YAY for vicky!!
I KID U NOT.....MY YARN GOT HERE TODAY....I ORDERED IT ON THURS!!
here (http://www.simplysockyarn.com/Detail.bok?no=182)
is the yarn that i ordered!!! The shipping is only $3.85 unless your order is over $50.00 then it's free. but....huuuuuney....this yarn is so yummy!! I couldn NOT believe my eyes when i saw it was here today, but it's priority mail....and all of the yarn is scrumptious!
Especially the cascade kid merino painted....and there r directions to here blog where there's this pattern for the cutest pink socks i've ever seen...i've been wanted to do them forever.
okay, the store is new, i found out & for some reason u have to type in the [url]www.simplysockyarn.com i wrote & told them that they needed to fix that with the webmaster. now i've got another project i've gotta finish before i can start on these socks....i just found out...another nephew (my brother's this time) is getting married....when?....JULY....can u believe this...give a person some notice!...okay....go look at the yarn store....and :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: for all of you...u will find doing 2 pair at a time to make ALL THE DIFFERENCE...PROMISE

Stacy
06-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Yeah Vicki!!! I can't wait to see a picture.

I haven't worked on my sock since Friday. We were running around all day yesterday, and that is not something I am comfortable to knit in the car, yet. :D

Rebecca ~ I can't believe your yarn came already! :cheering: Let us know when you start knitting.

Stacy

rebecca
06-12-2005, 01:18 PM
i'm knitting already, but another project...so i'll start on these in a couple of weeks!
i COULDN'T believe the service, either...or the quality of the yarn....there's that cystal palace kid merino that is just calling for me that's on that site...my goodnes....yuuuuummmy yarn

Soxy
06-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Here is another extremely good source for yarn, sock yarn included ofcourse.

www.knitpicks.com They offer free shipping with $30. order. If you sign up for their email notifications you get notified when they bring in wonderful bargins as well. i.e. Lana Grossa Meilenweit Multiringle for 60% off!! Reg prices include undyed 100% Merino Wool fingering weight 440 yds for $3.49, great hand dyed Merino sock yarn under their own lable at $3.99 per 50gms 192 yds. The books they offer are almost all 32% off.

Yes I've ordered from them a few times.

VickiIL
06-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Here is a link to my son's socks. (sorry i don't know how to do the fancy links where it says go here & that is the link...but this works)

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1952&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Now keep in mind that my 6 yo picked out the yarn. It is ugly green! but they turned out pretty good. A little big on him but that is ok. He hasn't taken them off yet! I think I am going to have to wrestle him out of them tonight to get them in the washing maching!

Soxy
06-14-2005, 03:20 PM
"He hasn't taken them off yet! I think I am going to have to wrestle him out of them tonight to get them in the washing maching!"

Vicki can't blame him for not wanting to take off his cool socks!! That is wonderful when they love something that much!!! They look great!!

Stacy
06-15-2005, 03:58 AM
Vickie I love the socks!!! Nice Job!!!

I can't believe you have two completed. I am still working on my first one. I had a small glitch, but I figured it out and I will get back on the ball... no pun intended :roflhard:

Stacy

rebecca
06-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey everybody...I could stand it no more...I had to buy some more sock yarn from www.simplysockyarn.com and it is luscious crystal palace kid merino yarn....YUMMY, YUMMY!! But, I am colorful & bought a very cool mulit color to do these socks [url]here (http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/KidMerino-socks1.html) and I can hardly wait, altho....I just bought some yarn from her about 2 weeks ago when she opened...lol...I must slow down on the sock yarn buying...AS IF...HA!!
Don't u all just :heart: :heart: the socks & yarn....had to share
have a :XX: day
bye now