PDA

View Full Version : Attention all ILLINOIS Knitters!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

suziehomemaker
11-07-2005, 01:52 PM
That's a great idea. It could have both our alias and our real name on it. Would you need to get Amy's ok first since it's her site and her logo?

kemp
11-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Yep...need permission from Amy I think. I probably won't get to go this time :( I'll PM her though on behalf of the Illinois peeps.

Joel
11-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Er... I realize I'm not invited or going to make this but..... why not do it ON groundhog day or that weekend? Seems like that would be fun considering the town's history...

:??

kimmie
11-07-2005, 02:32 PM
First of all, EVERYONE is invited. Illinois is centrally located after all...

While it would be fun to be there on Groundhog Day, it is a major celebration in that town due to the movie and I think it might be hard to find parking and stuff. I'm not sure though, never having gone there on that day. Anyone else?

kimmie

kimmie
11-07-2005, 02:34 PM
I think the ID ideas sound great. I'm clueless about making stuff like that, but if someone else sends me a file or something, I can print & laminate...

kimmie

DotMom61
11-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Kim --

That place in Richmond looks so cool!!! I think I might just have to take a field trip up there sometime if we don't go as a group.

The place in Woodstock looks great, too. I think either of those would be really fun, and it looks 1/14 is OK on our calendar, too.

We're really going to have to look into a visit to Wool & Co. in Geneva sometime, too. I was in there yesterday to get my Karaoke yarn, and they are just so nice there. I'm sure they'd love to have us, and Geneva has so many nice little shops and places to eat. Perhaps in the spring when the weather starts warming up & we could go cruising in some of the other shops, too!

kimmie
11-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Oh, what lucky people we are to have so many great knitting shops that we need to explore!

I like the idea of spring field trips. Weather is so unpredictable in the winter. 1/14 will work for me though, at least at this moment.

kimmie

wildforyarn
11-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Oh, I wanna go this time, I wanna go this time..... I will have to check the date and see if I work and maybe, since there is a lot of time, I can switch. I am not tooo far from Illinois. Just in Madison, Wisconsin. It would take a really bad weather day to keep me from coming and meeting all of you. It looks like you had such a great time the last two meetings!!! I wanna gooooo!!!! :happydance:

Andrea
11-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Oh my gosh it's sooo fun to see how excited everyone is!

I second the NO GROUNDHOG DAY trip. I live fairly close to Woodstock and I tell you, these people LOVE their town on that day. Way too crowded I'm sure (they have movie showings all day and usually have cast members come visit, it's sooo funny)

The card thing sounds fun. I am a member of the "Cultured Purls of McHenry County" knitting guild and we get 10% off there. But I'd love to be in another "guild" !! :D

January 14th works for me, I'll be working midnight shift, so I may be a little tired, unless I'm lucky and I am off that day (night)!!

Andrea
11-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Maybe in the spring we could do a LYS crawl... :D :cheering: :D :cheering:

dustinac
11-07-2005, 08:20 PM
I wondered where the weekend story was I didn't think to look here till I went blog looking for the story... I'm so glad everyone had a great time.. I loved the photos and hope everyone is feeling better!! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Wool and Co in Geneva is the site of the "original" Knitapalooza... there's where KK and I met in May!!! And wouldn't it be awesome to meet someplace that's WITHIN AN HOUR OF ME! (kidding)

The place in woodstock sounds great! I'm doing a residency in January, though, and it's kind of in Dallas, so as long as i'm HERE in January, it's aal good!!!

DotMom61
11-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Ooooo ... Dallas in January! Waaarrrmmmm!

VickiIL
11-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Ooooo ... Dallas in January! Waaarrrmmmm!

I will go anywhere warm in January! Dallas, Miami, Do we have a KHer is Hawaii? I think we all need to go there in January!

Knitting on the beach! :cheering: :cheering:
Hmm. Now how to keep the sand out of the yarn? :thinking:

KellyK
11-08-2005, 09:42 AM
But, the snow is so PRETTY in the trees!! :heart:

kemp
11-08-2005, 09:55 AM
I don't know about Hawaii, but there are quite a few KHers in Florida! Somewhere warm in the winter is always awesome!

Kirochka
11-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Hello Illinois Knitters!

I'm in Illinois, and last year at this time I decided to teach myself to knit. Things went well for a while and then I ended up with bad pain in my thumb and stopped knitting, and now it's a year later and I'm back to square one (or square zero, actually, by now). I'm determined to start again, and Amy (whom I've met at Sacred Harp singings) just e-mailed me about you guys getting together. I live in Algonquin, not too far south of Woodstock, so if you do arrange a gathering in Woodstock in January, would it be okay for a total beginner to join you?

Karen
in Algonquin

suziehomemaker
11-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Absolutely! I think we're all beginners here!

KellyK
11-08-2005, 11:06 AM
YAYYYYYYYYY!!! Hi Karen!! YES YES YES you can join us! We even welcome folks from other states!! :cheering:

kemp
11-08-2005, 11:12 AM
oh yes Karen...these nice, crazy Illinois ladies will let any ole kind of riffraff come...case in point...I was at the last one :)

DotMom61
11-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Hello Illinois Knitters!

I'm in Illinois, and last year at this time I decided to teach myself to knit. Things went well for a while and then I ended up with bad pain in my thumb and stopped knitting, and now it's a year later and I'm back to square one (or square zero, actually, by now). I'm determined to start again, and Amy (whom I've met at Sacred Harp singings) just e-mailed me about you guys getting together. I live in Algonquin, not too far south of Woodstock, so if you do arrange a gathering in Woodstock in January, would it be okay for a total beginner to join you?

Karen
in Algonquin

Karen ... We'd *love* to have you join us!!! The more the merrier. ;-)

BTW ... I live just down the road from you in St. Charles. Are there any good yarn stores in Algonquin?

Kirochka
11-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

BTW ... I live just down the road from you in St. Charles. Are there any good yarn stores in Algonquin?

Not that I've noticed - last time I was searching around (on line) for yarn stores, I think the only ones in the area I found were in Woodstock and maybe in Crystal Lake? That was probably a year ago before I had to stop knitting. There's a huge amount of development going on on Randall Road, though, so maybe one will appear... the old downtown Algonquin could use one, too - still some empty storefronts there.

I've never even been to the one in Woodstock yet - the only yarn store I've been in was in NYC last year (I'm originally from there), The Yarn Co. I was overwhelmed and slightly intimidated! :D

Karen

Holly
11-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Woodstock? Yeah! I work in Woodstock (and live in Hebron -- 10 min north of Woodstock). Between a computer hard drive crash :shock: , and just being crazy-busy, I've barely been online OR knitting :crying: . This is the first thread I read since getting back online, and I am sooo excited :happydance: !! Has Quietly Wild been chosen for sure, and is there a set date yet? I can't wait to meet you guys!!

Karen -- Hello fellow McHenry County person :D !

BTW -- Quietly Wild is a great little store, and the owners are really cool! If you decide that is where you want to meet, I'd be glad to stop by the store and make inquiries, etc...

Holly

Andrea
11-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Algonquin really needs a yarn shop...downtown would be perfect...there are quite a few open storefronts that where it would fit in perfectly.

Sunflower Samplings is on Williams Street in Crystal Lake (right by the tracks downtown C.L. I like it there...it's a little crowded, but they have TONS of different yarn...no web site though :(

I work in Algonquin and live in Crystal Lake

wildforyarn
11-08-2005, 07:58 PM
So, are we like getting close to nailing down the date for all of us to plan?? I would hate it to get into the holidays and then it gets forgotten. Oh, wait, who am I talking to, a knitting get together would never be forgotten, right??? :lol:

Anyway, I will leave it up to the Illinois-based crowd to pick a great store and I will just show up this time. I missed the first two and am determined not to miss a third!!

DotMom61
11-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we settled on January 14th @ Quietly Wild in Woodstock, and I think Kimmie was going to (already did?) call them to see if they would mind hosting our group.

Did I get it??

KellyK
11-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Im up for that....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-08-2005, 10:00 PM
i second that knit-motion.

amy
11-09-2005, 03:21 PM
WAIT!!!

I'd like to join you this time!! Is it too late to change the date? Could folks attend on the 7th? (I accidently said the 8th, oops. Corrected: I mean the 7th!)
:pray:

I've had it in the back of my head for months that I wanted to come out there in January to see you all. January in particular, because there's also a Shape Note sing that month in Chicago that I've wanted to check out. I just found out the date of the sing, and it's the 8th. Gosh, you ladies are fast planners! Is it too late to switch to the 7th?

Vendie
11-09-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm flexible...oh yeah, and I can do the 8th too.

Julie
11-09-2005, 03:39 PM
:cheering: Amy, that would be fantastic!!!

The 8th is a Sunday....are they open on Sunday?

VickiIL
11-09-2005, 03:42 PM
I think the 8th is a Sunday. If that is correct (I don't have my calendar in front of me right now.) I would ask that it be afternoon. I have church in the morning and that is the week before my ministry launches. In other words...I can't skip. Amy, will you be in Chicago Saturday the 7th?

amy
11-09-2005, 03:45 PM
EEEEK! I meant the 7th! The sing is on the Sunday, so Saturday the 7th would be the day I could get together! :blush: Sorry for the confusion!!

VickiIL
11-09-2005, 03:52 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
Saturday the 7th is perfect! Wow! I am so excited you are going to able to make it! I am putting it in my PDA now!

I still have a church commitment that day but I will be able to get there earlier than Sunday.

DotMom61
11-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Amy!!!! How totally cool!!! Yes, I think I can make the 7th, and I've marked it on the calendar. I'll run it by the other half of the equation (DH) to make sure there are no conflicts.

We should all meet you @ the airport and kick up a ruckus as if you were a famous rock star! Wouldn't that be fun? :cheering:

Kirochka
11-09-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm glad Amy posted about that singing in January - I was going to post about it myself, that if you scheduled the get-together for the 7th she might come out for it and for the singing, but as a total newbie both to knitting and to the board I thought I shouldn't...

I hope you come out that weekend, Amy! :D

Karen

P.S. I better not have gotten that date wrong. That's the date it should be, but you never know with Chicago singings. I'll double-check with local singers just to be 100% sure.

Kirochka
11-09-2005, 04:17 PM
I just had the date of the singing confirmed for me - Sunday 8 January. So the 7th would be good to get Amy out here for the get-together!

kimmie
11-09-2005, 05:21 PM
The 7th is okay by me as far as I know. Quietly Wild seemed open to any date, but I can run that by them just to make sure there isn't some other event going on. I am guessing we'll have enough people that we'll need the back room. How fun!!
kimmie

Julie
11-09-2005, 06:44 PM
:cheering: How exciting!

Andrea
11-09-2005, 06:57 PM
:cheering: :cheering:

Oh my gosh that would be meeting a celebrity!! That is AWESOME!!! Yea Amy!!! Just shoo me away if I ask for an autograph and picture!!!

amy
11-09-2005, 07:15 PM
You ladies are so sweet! :heart: Yay, I'm so glad to hear "yes's" so far!! Hildie and Kelly, can you two make that weekend? Kemp? SuzieHomemaker? Sara? MaryB? Please say you can all do that day! :pray:

MaryS
11-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Amy (and everyone else in the Midwest),

I'm coming too! :happydance: :happydance: :cheering: :cheering:
I said I'd be the Michigan representative at the next KH get together, and Jan 7th works for me, too. I'll need to drive in the night before though. Anyone have some extra floor space I could use?

YAY for KH :cheering: :cheering:

Mary

Sara
11-09-2005, 07:59 PM
:( DH is going to Coco Beach for a conference. I won't be able to come. :crying: I really want to hang out with you guys.

amy
11-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Sara, nooooooo! :( Maybe you could let DH go alone, and you could come hang out with us? Or is this a tropical vacation we're talking about?

Sara
11-09-2005, 08:22 PM
No, that means that I stay out here in the very cold sticks with the girls while DH goes to Florida for a conference without me. I've been walking around humming the "I Dream of Jeannie" theme in a very sad little voice just to drive him crazy. :devil:

wildforyarn
11-09-2005, 08:41 PM
I think I can make the 7th. Even if I am scheduled to work, it is enough time that I can get someone to cover. I don't think we have any "family" plans. yea!! I am excited. I finally get to go to a famous Illinois gathering!! I hope it is as fun as the pictures and posts show us they can be.... okay Kelly and Hilde, the pressure is on to make us all have a great time and laugh til our bellies hurt! :roflhard:

KellyK
11-09-2005, 09:03 PM
January 7th is OPEN for MEEEE!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Amy...fly into Midway and Ill pick you up and you can stay with me and play with my pooches and Ill feed you vegetables! :happydance:

Julie
11-09-2005, 11:23 PM
(don't be drinking with KellyK, though!)

KellyK
11-09-2005, 11:48 PM
:( IT WASNT MY FAULT!!! FG, TELL HERRRRR!!!! :(

Vendie
11-10-2005, 07:18 AM
OMG, KK and Kemp and Hildie all held me down and poured the wine right in my mouth. And then a beer. And then more wine! I'm NEVER staying at KK's again!! Get out while you can Amy! :roflhard:

heehee. of course it was totally my fault and it will NEVER happen again!!! Water and Coke for me next time, thank you!

Is it ok if I stay at your place too KK??? I :heart: you :D

Andrea
11-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Just figured out today I won't be able to make it... :(
I'll be out of town...I can do the following weekend, but not the 7th. I'm so sad b/c I suggested this place and now I'm can't go and I feel like :crying: :verysad:

This has ruined my day............................................... ...............

KellyK
11-10-2005, 11:08 AM
CRAP!!!!! :(

DotMom61
11-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Andrea!!! And there's no way to change your plans??? :help:

Andrea
11-10-2005, 07:59 PM
No, we're coming home from vacation that day...my hubby was sad for me too. He's like "what time will we be home? Maybe you will still make it!" I'm not sure when the flight is, but I know I won't be home til late afternoon. I'll have to do the next one...I'm so bummed out about it :verysad:

amy
11-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Oh noooo Andrea! :(

:figureditout: Hey, if you want to come to the singing event Karen and I are going to on Sunday, you are ALL welcome. Andrea, maybe you can attend that? We could extend our weekend fun that way, and you all could totally bring your knitting and listen, and sing along as much as you like. It's a community-oriented singing tradition, and newcommers are always welcomed enthusiastically. There's always yummy free lunches at the events, too. I'm hoping Hildie will come, because she's expressed interest in the music before, being a music teacher and all. For those who've not heard of Sacred Harp singing, I have a write-up and some audio clips here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/content/personal/shape-note/index.php).

Jouf
11-10-2005, 09:16 PM
You guys are going to have so much fun. All the excitement with the Illinois knitters makes me wish we had something like that in So. California. Knitting AND singing! Enjoy. And watch out for Kelly.

KellyK
11-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Joufy! Look at Jodstr's map! There's PLENTY of us is So Cal! Post a thread! Have a get-together! What's stoppin ya??

Id LOVE to come to the sing!! FUN FUN FUN!!!

amy
11-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Id LOVE to come to the sing!! FUN FUN FUN!!!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: YIPPEEEE!!!

amy
11-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Karen just told me that her middle name is actually....get this: Louise. :thumbsup:

Karen, you were BORN to be a KH'er!! :inlove:

KellyK
11-10-2005, 10:52 PM
:cheering: YAYYYYY KAREN LOUISE!!! :cheering:

Julie
11-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Amy, would you say the sing would be kid-friendly??

amy
11-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Amy, would you say the sing would be kid-friendly??

Definitely kid friendly in terms of them being welcome. In terms of them being interested or bored, it'd depend on the kid of course.

Karen can tell us more about this particular sing, I've never been. Karen, how many people usually attend this one, any idea? Any comments?

DotMom61
11-11-2005, 01:23 AM
Amy --

Where is this sing taking place? My children's piano teacher teaches Shape Note singing, and it might be fun to grab her and make a family field trip to the sing (if she's not already going) -- even better 'cause I can bring my knitting and no one will look at me funny!!

Ooo ... I'm gettin' all excited about this! :sunny:

Kirochka
11-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Don't get me started on Sacred Harp singing...! ;) I wouldn't want to go on and on and on and on (it's the big love of my life, that is, after my husband, whom I actually met at a singing).

The singing, called the Chicago Anniversary Singing because it commemorates the anniversary of the beginning of a regular Sacred Harp singing in Chicago about 21 years ago, will begin at either 9:30 or 10 a.m. (still to be decided, I think) at the Irish American Heritage Center in Chicago http://www.irishamhc.com on Sunday 8 January and run all day until probably 3:30 or 4, depending again on when it starts. There's a potluck lunch at 12 or 12:30 (but newcomers don't need to bring a dish - unless they want to!). Attendance is free and open to all - they'll probably take a collection to help pay the rental of the room etc., but it's free-will and not required. Children are welcome - I'm not sure that there'll be actual childcare or a separate room for kids provided at this particular singing, but there are usually kids running around at a singing. Listeners are just as welcome as singers... but don't be surprised (or intimidated) if someone encourages you to sing or hands you a copy of the book to look at! I'm not sure how many people will be there, but it could be 70 or 80 or even 100. (There's a two-day singing convention held in Chicago in the spring, the Midwest Convention, that gets several hundred attendees.) The big thing about Sacred Harp singing is that there are no auditions, no requirements for talent or experience or religious faith (the songs in the book have Christian religious texts for the most part, but many of us who sing Sacred Harp, especially outside of its traditional heartland in the South, are not necessarily Christians or even believers, some of us). All you need to have is the desire to be there, to listen or to sing. And it's really, really, really fun.

Deep breath!

So do come, all! If I could do more than cast on (can't even do that at this point any more... will definitely start again before January so as not to be totally humiliated! :D ), I'd bring knitting with me to the singing!

And yes... my middle name is really Louise!

Karen

P.S. I forgot to say, I maintain a website at http://www.woodbros.com/Singings.html (Wood Bros. is the cabinet shop consisting of my husband, his son and me in Elgin) that contains information about singings in the Chicagoland area, if anyone's interested in more information.

[Edited to add:] One last thing: there's going to be an all-day singing school in Geneva, IL on Saturday 19 November - Ted Mercer, a long-time singer from Chicago (and a nice guy!), will be teaching how you do this kind of singing. Singing schools are not required before going to a singing (I kind of learned by osmosis, myself), but if anyone wants to see what it's like in a setting that's actually totally geared towards newcomers, this would be ideal. I think I'll be going to it, too. Anyway, there's information about it on the Wood Bros. site I linked to above.

DotMom61
11-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Karen --

I don't have time to respond to all the great info you just posted! It sounds really cool, and perhaps something we can look into once we're back on a more normal schedule. It's great to know that there is a group just a few minutes from us!! Anyway ... hopefully, I can convince my family that a trip to Chicago on 1/8 would be fun. ;-)

On another note (no pun intended): I just ran across this (http://www.windycityknittingguild.com/knitshops.htm#w) link that lists all Chicagoland LYSes!!! Very cool ... we can plan all of our future get-togethers using this. :D

Julie
11-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Interesting....there is a yarn shop in Glen Ellyn that isn't on that list. I forget the name, but it's in Banyan Tree Mall on Main St. :??

ETA...got the name...String Theory.

Andrea
11-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Perhaps I will be able to make the Sacred Heart program. It sounds wonderful

I'm still SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sad I won't be at the knit together... :(

Licensed2Cook
11-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I've been to String Theory just once, I bought some Peace Fleece for a cardigan sweater that is currently about 1/3 of the way done. It's a nice shop kind of small but loaded with only the bestest of yarns.

If you ladies don't mind I'd like to pencil in the 7th as well. Now I just have to figure out where Woodstock is...

Julie
11-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Of course we'd love to have you, Dee! :D

Woodstock is due north of Huntley...you'd probably take 90 west to 47, and then take 47 north into Woodstock.

VickiIL
11-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Have we picked a time yet? Do you think we could do say noon-ish...Maybe start with lunch.

I have a training I am doing at Church that AM. I am done around 11:00 am.

kimmie
11-12-2005, 10:21 PM
I just checked Quietly Wild's website and it looks like their Saturday hours are from 10-3, if that helps with the planning at all...

kimmie

amy
11-14-2005, 03:28 PM
I can't wait, this is so exciting!!! It sounds like we've chosen the date. Thanks for accomodating me everyone! Not many times a year I can go out to Chicago, so this means a lot to me, to be there with you all at your January gathering!

Karen, thanks for the great info!! I am so excited to attend a Chicago area sing, and to hang out more with you! :D

Andrea
11-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Still sad I won't be there...I'm sure you all will take plenty of pictures which I want posted by that night! That's an order!!! :D

Holly
11-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Hello all :D I've been offline for a bit again, and I lost track of the IL get-together thread. Has a date and place been selected? Can I join you?! :sunny:

Holly

Julie
11-30-2005, 02:09 PM
It's January 7 in Woodstock, and the lovely AMY will be joining us! :cheering:

Details somewhere near the end of this thread:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2139

Holly
11-30-2005, 02:13 PM
:cheering: How exciting...I can't wait! Thanks for the thread link -- I'll go post there :D

Andrea
11-30-2005, 05:18 PM
:verysad:
can't go

KellyK
11-30-2005, 05:25 PM
HONESTLY, Andrea...that's just POO. :mad:

Andrea
11-30-2005, 06:59 PM
:verysad: :verysad:

I know...I HAVE to make the next one

kittyscorner
11-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new here :D

Penciled the date in, I hope to meet with you guys! do you know if there's a regular monthly meet in Illinois?

Ingrid
11-30-2005, 08:22 PM
It's January 7 in Woodstock, and the lovely AMY will be joining us! :cheering:

Details somewhere near the end of this thread:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2139

Too bad it's not Woodstock, NY. We could have another festival!

Vendie
11-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Hey KK - are we having another sleepover? I promise I won't get sick this time, pweeaaaase?

KellyK
11-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Kitty...that's AWESOME! We seem to be getting together every 3 months or so.... Do you live up north?

FG...I thought it was MY fault you were pukey! :roflhard:

Vendie
12-01-2005, 07:35 AM
Oh yeah, that's right, I remember now... :shifty:

DotMom61
12-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Psst ... FG ... I think Howie must've slipped you a Mickey.

Ingrid
12-01-2005, 09:01 AM
:roflhard: Yet another thing to blame the dog for!

Vendie
12-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Psst ... FG ... I think Howie must've slipped you a Mickey.

Hah!!! :roflhard: Howie was being super sweet that night, but I think he spent more time with Kemp and Hildie...hmmm, maybe that was part of his evil plan :thinking:

KellyK
12-01-2005, 10:36 AM
AWWWWW!!! Poor Howie! He's always being made out as the scape-dog!

How could this sweet face have an evil plan???

Vendie
12-01-2005, 11:41 AM
But see, I have proof:

Here he is planning world domination - all part of his evil plan! :roflhard:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/fridaknits/blog%20pictures/howie.jpg

DotMom61
12-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Notice how his ears are turned back? He was eavesdropping on you guys. :fingerwag:

KellyK
12-01-2005, 01:53 PM
And he IS wearing a "Superdog" T-shirt....maybe you are RIGHT!! :shock:

kittyscorner
12-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Kitty...that's AWESOME! We seem to be getting together every 3 months or so.... Do you live up north?

Hi Kelly,

I'm in Naperville, so your very first choice to hold the gathering here would have been perfect :happydance: :XX: :D

I used to live in Berwyn! right across from Metra!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-02-2005, 08:18 PM
yikes, this seems to close already!!! I can't believe it's December; I feel like school just started and we were allwalkinga round in our sundresses and tans; now it's colder than a witch's booby in a brass bra! You chicagolander people must have gotten less snow than we did; we STILL have snow on the ground and road.

Kirochka
12-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Nah, we've got snow on the ground too! (McHenry County...)

December already... jeez, I'd better learn how to cast on soon! ;)

KellyK
12-02-2005, 10:12 PM
The Naperville LYS was FUN! I loved all the ROOMS. :mrgreen:

3 months DOES go by pretty quick!

DotMom61
12-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Hildy ... we just got a "dusting" here ... sounds like you got lots more than we did. My kids would LOVE to have more!! Ugh.

Andrea
12-02-2005, 11:19 PM

Still can't go (everytime this thread gets bumped, I'm going to remind you all)

KellyK
12-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Still think that's just POO. :verysad:

Holly
12-04-2005, 05:04 PM
I so excited for this get-together! Is there any agenda? How many people will be attending? I'm nervous to meet all my knitting gurus in person :notworthy: !!

Andrea
12-04-2005, 10:13 PM
I still can't go...

Kelly...? Your turn...

KellyK
12-05-2005, 12:45 AM
OH STOP IT NOW. It CRAP. BLAH BLAH BLAH. :roflhard:

Julie
12-05-2005, 01:11 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/smilies/violin.gif

amy
12-05-2005, 12:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/smilies/violin.gif

:roflhard: Julie, where'd you find that?! LOL!

Andrea, I join in the sad violin music on your behalf! Boohoo! Can you come to the sing on Sunday maybe?

For those who've not read a few pages back, at least a few of us will be attending a Shape Note singing event on Jan. 8th in the Chicago area. Newcommers are always heartily encouraged to attend sings. Y'all are welcome to just come and knit and listen, or, as is the tradition, pick up a book and join in as much as you can. Karen (Kirochka) posted details on the location and event a few pages back.

Holly
12-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Amy -- I was searching for info on Shape Note singing (as I've never heard of the term before), and came across this description:

What is Sacred Harp singing?

Sacred Harp singing is the largest surviving branch of traditional American Shape Note Singing. “Sacred Harp” refers to The Sacred Harp, a book first published in 1844 and continuously updated since. Along with other hymn books from the era, its repertoire of 550 4-part a cappella hymns, odes, and anthems is part of the foundation of a vibrant oral tradition handed down since Colonial times and still practiced at hundreds of annual singing meetings, conventions, and local singing groups throughout the country.

Is this the same thing you are refering to? It sounds very interesting! Are you singing at the event in Chicago?

Kirochka
12-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Yes, that's the type of singing Amy was referring to - information about it can be found at http://fasola.org and for the Chicago area specifically, at http://www.woodbros.com/Singings.html (I'm the webmaster for the Wood Bros. site :D ). And yes, Amy plans to be at the singing in January! Please, anyone who's interested, you're most, most welcome to come too!

[Edited to add:] Oops! I just realized your quote is from the Fasola home page, so obviously you've already found that site! :oops:

KellyK
12-12-2005, 11:49 AM
GAH! How did we slip to page FOUR??

Jan 7 is LESS than a month away now!!! :cheering:

Amy - do you have your tickets?

Does Quietly Wild know we're coming? Maybe we should take a head count so we can let them know approx how many to expect?

kimmie
12-12-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm almost positive that I can come. I can call them and let them know how many/when etc once you guys tell me all the details.

kimmie

Holly
12-12-2005, 12:49 PM
I was thinking the same thing over the weekend, Kelly! AHHHHH Xmas is in TWO WEEKS!! :shock: I better get my packages in the mail.

As for the count: I'm in! , or should we count off...1!

next...

P.S. I work in Wdst. If I can help in the planning at all, please let me know.

kimmie
12-12-2005, 02:16 PM

Since you work in Woodstock, if you want to pop in and talk to them rather than me calling, that would be a-ok with me.
:) kimmi

Kirochka
12-12-2005, 02:18 PM
I plan to be there too! (#3!)

Karen in Algonquin

wildforyarn
12-12-2005, 02:25 PM

I plan on being there! I will be driving from Madison, WI, so what time are we meeting....?

Julie
12-12-2005, 02:44 PM
I think Sara is actually #4...so I am #5... :D

Vendie
12-12-2005, 02:58 PM
If I can find a place to stay, I'm in! So #6? I'm gonna see if I can convince my mom to meet me out there and maybe share a motel room - can someone recommend some places nearby?

MaryS
12-12-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm # 6.

I'm coming in from the Detroit area, on Friday night. I don't know yet if I'm taking the train in or driving. If someone could give me the addresses of the LYS, and Shaped Note Sing, I'd appreciate it. Thank Goodness for mapquest!

Also, if someone has a spare piece of floor I could sleep on that would be wonderful!!! Or a suggestion for a reasonably priced hotel in the area!

Thanks a lot!!!

I CAN'T WAIT for Jan 6th!!!!!!
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Mary

KellyK
12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
OK - well, Ill be number 7...and let's not forget AMY - #8!!!

Holly, Kimmie, whoever calls or pops in on Quietly Wild....make sure you finagle some sort of DISCOUNT for us! All I had to do in October was ask if they offered any "special deals" for groups like the OTHER LYSs did...they all offered us 20% off! :thumbsup:

MaryS
12-12-2005, 05:31 PM
OK, so I can't count - or I don't type fast enough. :rofling:

Fiber's #6, Kelly's #7, Amy makes 8, so I'll be number 9.

I hope this posts before someone else takes my number this time!!!

I'm SSOOOOO looking forward to that weekend!!!!!

Mary

DotMom61
12-12-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm #10!!! Woo hee!!

** Whine Warning **

Just got back from the clinic. DS was supposed to start his last round of chemo today, but his white count was too low. So, now we are pushed back one week, and instead of finishing up on 12/23, he will finish up on NEW YEAR'S EVE. Grrr. I know there is a reason why it is working out this way, but I need a minute to adjust. Grrr, again.

I think what really has me frustrated is that I can't get out to do Christmas shopping because his counts are low enough that he can't go anywhere. :wall:

** OK ... done whining **

I can't wait for the get-together! I'm gonna need it after THIS holiday season!

mintdee
12-12-2005, 06:55 PM
You will need a lot of :XX: :XX: :XX:

I can't go but I will be there in spirit :D

Julie
12-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Oh Julie, so sorry about the chemo. How disappointing. :crying:

DotMom61
12-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Thanks, ladies. Didn't mean to hijack the thread ... just needed a little whining time. It will just give us an extra reason to celebrate on New Year's, right? ;-)

(Sandra -- thanks for the hug! But ... uh ... could you let go now? I'm having trouble breathing.)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-12-2005, 07:45 PM
As of December 12th at 5:30pm I'm going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KellyK
12-12-2005, 08:19 PM
So Hildie makes 11! This is gonna be our biggest knit-together EVER!! :cheering:

Jul....you KNOW my thoughts are always with you and your FANTASTIC kids.... :heart: Give that boy a germ-free hug from me! And that DD, too, just so she wont feel left out!

kimmie
12-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Dotmom, I'm sorry about the timing of everything. I hope your son's white blood cell count bounces up where its supposed to be very soon. I've been doing a lot of my Christmas shopping online. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for the credit card, but it does help those immunosuppressed offspring.
Can't wait til the get-together!
kimmie

VickiIL
12-13-2005, 11:54 AM
As of right now....#12
I probably wont be able to make it before noon though

Vendie
12-13-2005, 02:02 PM
would anyone be interested in a slumber party the night before? I was thinking about getting a motel room in the area and wanted to offer the idea of knitting for awhile the night before - I still have to see if I can take off from work a couple hours early again. Angelia is going to check to see if she can come up too! Mary - I know you were looking for a place as well, coming in from Detroit.

Holly
12-13-2005, 03:33 PM
A sleepover? How fun! I just checked the yarn shop hours, and they are 10-3 on Saturdays. I'll stop in or call them and see if they can accomadate us and, most importantly, if they'll give us a discount! I'll call around for some hotel rates. I know there is a relatively new Holiday Inn Express on the corner of Rte 47 and 14 that looks nice -- I think they have an indoor pool :D. Hmmm...sitting and knitting poolside with a cocktail...mmmmm :D.

What have you guys done at your previous get-togethers?

UPDATE: I did a quick internet search for the Holiday Inn Express, and I hope this link works: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/wdsil?irs=y

I will call, but one internet price search was $59 a night for single occupancy. They also have meeting rooms, etc... I live close, but I'd be willing to do the hotel just for the fun of it!

Vendie
12-13-2005, 04:06 PM
That sounds great Holly! We had so much fun at KK's last time, but since we can't do that this time, I think it would be fun to do some sort of little party. And having a place in Woodstock would defintely be convenient! Even if we got a couple of rooms - we could pick someone's for the party part and get pizza and beverages or something (no wine for me!!) and have some knitting fun!

The last one (and only one) I attended we hung out at the LYS knitting, and then had lunch. I'm fine with that so long as I have a late breakfast and some snacks (an no wine the night before!) - and if people are sticking around for the singing on Sunday, maybe an early dinner Saturday?

wildforyarn
12-13-2005, 04:14 PM
So, to the people from the area, what are the other towns/cities around Woodstock? I am thinking, the family might come and we would all stay for the weekend in a hotel..... with a pool..... just going to take a look around... Thanks!

Holly
12-13-2005, 04:21 PM
More info: The $59 rate is an internet rate that has some strings attached (no refunds on cancelations, etc...) To call the hotel direct, the room price is $72.95. They don't charge for # of occupants in a room, so if you can buddy up your room price per person would be anywhere from $30 to $37. There is an indoor pool, and they offered us the use of the breakfast room for free :D.

It would be such a blast to have a "knit-in!" How many people would be interested?

I'm leaving work in 10 min, and I'm going over to the yarn store to have a chat!

KellyK
12-13-2005, 04:46 PM
I would DEFINITELY want to come hang out with y'all! (Sorry I cant do another big sleepover. :( )

Vendie
12-13-2005, 06:09 PM
It's ok Kelly - it's not WHERE we have the party, it's WHO'S there! :heart:

Holly
12-13-2005, 07:04 PM
More info :happydance: !

I just got back from the Quietly Wild Yarn Store. They don't have any classes going on, so we can have the use of their back room where they normally hold classes (tables, chairs, etc...) The owner offered to put on coffee, and we can bring snacks, etc... She also offered a 10% discount to our group :D. The lady who owns the shop is awesome, and was really appreciative to be selected for our IL meet!

Oh -- and if anybody was interested in something less commercial than a Holiday Inn Express, someone knitting in the store mentioned that there were a few Bed and Breakfast's in the vicinity of the square.

Time to put on my Cub Scout Den Leader hat...I'll check in later!

KellyK
12-13-2005, 08:06 PM
That sounds AWESOME, Holly! Thanks for doing all that checkin!!

(I wonder what we'd have to do to get a 20% discount! Im SUCH a CHEAPO!!) :roflhard:

Andrea
12-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Maybe I'll give up my vacation so I can make it :D You guys are going to have so much fun...if you are all going to spend the night Saturday, then I would definitely be able to come play Saturday night or meet on Sunday for lunch or something!! I really want to meet you all! And if I can't make it to the actual knit together, I still want to be able to hang out!!

Andrea
12-14-2005, 10:21 AM
(I wonder what we'd have to do to get a 20% discount! Im SUCH a CHEAPO!!) :roflhard:

I wonder if we make up those cards if that would give us an extra 10% ?? :thinking:
So, to the people from the area, what are the other towns/cities around Woodstock? I am thinking, the family might come and we would all stay for the weekend in a hotel..... with a pool..... just going to take a look around... Thanks
And as a lifelong resident of the area, I can offer stuff for you to do, what would you be interested in doing?

DotMom61
12-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Cool! This sounds like fun. I'll make it to whatever I can. I don't know that I can pull off a Friday night *and* a Saturday *and* a Sunday, although I was wanting to bring the kids to the sing.

If you all want to knit by the pool, perhaps I can bring the kids along to swim while we knit. Then DH can have a night to himself -- something he rarely gets. We'll see what works out. It sounds like a BLAST!

Kirochka
12-14-2005, 10:33 AM
I'll only be able to make the actual get-together at Quietly Wild - my husband and I will be doing a bunch of cooking for the Sunday singing on Friday and Saturday night!

I was wondering... would people be annoyed if, say, someone who was a rank beginner at knitting was in need of a little guidance at the get-together?... I've been trying to start up again but so far I'm very frustrated at the bizarre shapes I'm winding up with when just trying to knit a single row!

As for the singing, it's at the Irish American Heritage Center, 4626 N. Knox Avenue in Chicago. More information is at http://www.woodbros.com/Singings.html - right now they still don't seem to have decided if it starts at 9:30 or 10, but when they do decide I'll post the information at that website as well as here.

Karen

KellyK
12-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Karen, I cant imagine we'd be annoyed at much of anything! We are not an annoyable bunch. ;)

Holly
12-14-2005, 11:03 AM
For those thinking about a hotel room, are you thinking about staying over Friday, Saturday or both?

Vendie
12-14-2005, 12:09 PM
I would really like to attend the singing on Sunday, so I'm going to try for arriving on Friday night and leaving on Sunday afternoon, but I'm not bound to this. I'll check with DH to make sure he won't mind (I doubt it, he'll probably be glued to the computer most of the weekend).

I'm putting in a request to take Friday off (at least a 1/2 day) so I can get to the Chicago area at a decent time. Mary has said we could be roomies if my mom decides not to come (and since I haven't gotten a response yet from Mom, I'm not counting on it).

And I promise, to all those I barely talked to at the last get-together, I PROMISE I WILL FEEL MUCH BETTER THIS TIME AND BE MORE SOCIABLE!! NO WINE!! NO CATCHING ANY STOMACH BUGS!!

DotMom61
12-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Karen --

I think most of us would be stumbling over each other trying to help you. Hmm ... I guess that would be annoying. Maybe we'll have to draw numbers. Oh, and I think if you were pulling our needles out of our work or stealing food off our plates, we might get annoyed. Asking for help, though? Nah ... we'd love to help!

DotMom61
12-14-2005, 12:13 PM
WAIT! What was I thinking?! Amy is going to be there!!! You'll have all the help you need!!!

Kirochka
12-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks! I'll be happy for all the help I can get! :D

Julie
12-14-2005, 02:11 PM
if you were pulling our needles out of our work or stealing food off our plates, we might get annoyed

:roflhard:

KellyK
12-14-2005, 04:40 PM
WAIT! What was I thinking?! Amy is going to be there!!! You'll have all the help you need!!!

Amy is gonna be too busy accepting all of our fawning and attention! :lol:

Holly
12-14-2005, 10:01 PM
:notworthy: :D

Kirochka
12-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Looks like the Sacred Harp singing at the Irish American Heritage Center will begin at 10 a.m. on Sunday 8 January. Attendees should feel free to arrive when they like and come and go as they please. The potluck lunch will be at 12 or 12:30, and all are welcome to join in, whether you've been singing or not! And there's no charge for attending - they'll take up a free-will collection, but Sacred Harp events are always free.

Karen

Vendie
12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
I just talked to my mom and she wants to come too!! I'm going to book a room for the two of us at that Holiday Inn Express that Holly mentioned. The only thing she can foresee getting in the way is the weather - that time is typically a bad one for them (like this winter has been smooth so far :rollseyes: ). But she's really excited about it too! :cheering:

amy
12-16-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm so excited!!!!!

Yikes, I better get my ticket, huh?
*amy runs off to Travelocity and Orbitz.com*

Kirochka
12-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Amy,

Don't forget about Southwest from Providence to Midway! Right now they're having a sale that could get you here for $49 each way!

Karen

Kirochka
12-16-2005, 02:06 PM
P.S. Or Hartford!!!

amy
12-17-2005, 01:39 AM
:shock: Oooohhh, I'll check it out! Southwest airlines?....
Thanks Karen!

amy
12-17-2005, 01:52 AM
WOAH!!! Southwest.com is amazing!! I had no idea I could get a fare that cheap! $130 RT after fees and taxes. Hartford's just as close as Boston from where I am. GREAT!!! :happydance:

Just gotta confirm my dates with Chicago relatives before I order tickets. ;)

Debbie
12-17-2005, 07:00 AM
What can I say ....

KellyK
12-17-2005, 11:12 AM
And, Amy....dont forget to check in online within 24 hours of your flight....Southwest doesnt have assigned seating, so online checkin will give you an "A" boarding pass, allowing you to board first and get the seat of your choosing....up front....so you can SCOOT right off the plane when it lands and get out to my car SOONER!! :cheering:

Vendie
12-17-2005, 11:33 AM
I've been able to get Friday off, so I'm working out with my mommy to see when she wants to get into town. If I could be doing flips right now, I so would be. :cheering:

DotMom61
12-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Woo hoo!!! Everything seems to be coming together!! So exciting, and FG, I can't wait to meet the "real" you. ;-)

And slightly off-topic: Did I mention - if anyone cares - that I am now getting DIY??? I've been watching - and loving - Knitty Gritty. I can't wait 'til next Fall to see your episode, Amy!

KellyK
12-17-2005, 05:34 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Mer
12-18-2005, 01:05 PM
:crying: I'm gonna be up there the week before! I'll miss all of you!

But I think my mom and I will have our own knitting and yarn shopping day--I've convinced her to take it back up. :thumbsup:

KellyK
12-18-2005, 01:15 PM
OH MER!!! Sorry we'll miss you! Did you get a list of all the LYSs you'll need??

Mer
12-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks Kelly! I think we're good--we'll probably go to the shop in downtown Wheaton, and perhaps I can convince her to go to Wool & Company! :D

KellyK
12-18-2005, 02:29 PM
OH Ive been to the shop in Wheaton...the lady there is SO nice! Reminds me of my Grandma. The store is a mess, but its a comfy mess.

Julie
12-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Never Enough Knitting?

She's the one who gave me a hard time on the phone the other day... :roflhard: I think it's just me, though, me and the odd Wheaton LYS owners...

Mer, I would be glad to take you to W&Co. And Fringe. And anywhere else. (Great excuse to go yarn shopping! ;) :happydance: )

KellyK
12-18-2005, 04:37 PM
AWW! When Karen & I went to NEK, they were actually CLOSED, but she was there vaccuming...she let us in to browse anyway and I just LOVED her! Maybe it was one of her employees.... :??

Mer
12-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Aww, thanks Julie! I'll drop you a line when we decide where we're going. Maybe we can meet up!

Kirochka
12-20-2005, 10:05 AM
The following message was posted on a Sacred Harp mailing list by the co-chair of the singing on 8 January - it includes directions.

Karen

Please join the Chicago Sacred Harp Singers for
The 22nd Annual Chicago Anniversary Singing
10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Sunday January 8th, 2006
Irish American Heritage Center, 4626 N. Knox, Chicago, Illinois

All are welcome. Plenty of free parking.
No experience necessary. Loaner books available.
Dinner on the grounds.

Directions:

Northbound traffic through Chicago take Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94) to Edens
Expressway (I-94) in the direction of Milwaukee. Exit at Wilson Ave.
immediately after the divergence of the two expressways. Turn right on Wilson
and go one block east, then left on Knox. The Heritage Center is on the left.

Eastbound traffic on the Kennedy Expressway (I-90) from O’Hare, exit at
Lawrence
Ave., turning a soft left at the top of the ramp. Follow Lawrence about 5/8
mile to Kilpatrick, turn right, and the Heritage Center is two blocks south on
the left.

Southbound traffic on the Edens Expressway (I-94) from Wisconsin and the
northern suburbs, exit at Wilson Ave. just before the junction with I-90. Turn
left on Wilson, crossing over the expressway, and continue for one more block
to Knox. Turn left and the Heritage Center will be on the left.

Local Singers, Please Bring a Dish to Pass.

For further information, contact Steve Warner (rswarner@uic.edu) or Anne Heider
(aheider@roosevelt.edu); phone 847-866-7396.

amy
12-20-2005, 03:16 PM
YAY, I'm so excited!

I just booked my flight!!! :happydance: ($120 round trip!!! Southwest.com rocks!)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-21-2005, 02:05 AM
ANyone up for an impromptu next week?? Wool and Company in Geneva is hainv their big sale Dec 27-31... 10% off books, needles, accessories, 20% of all yarn, and daily specials that are 40% off. All during regular business hours.... ANyone??

Julie
12-21-2005, 03:01 AM
:cheering: Thanks for posting that!!! I am soooo there...DH is off work next week so I can venture out sans kids!! What day were you thinking of going?

KellyK
12-21-2005, 08:54 AM
:cheering: YAYYYYYYY AMY!!!! :cheering:

:verysad: BOOOOO that I cant go to Geneva sale! :verysad:

Mer
12-21-2005, 10:25 AM
OMG, I HAVE to get my mom to go now! Let me know what day you guys are going to Wool & Co. and I'll see if I can drag her out.

DotMom61
12-21-2005, 11:04 AM
I could very possibly be up for that. We're off to the clinic on 12/27, but I might be able to make it on a different day. My hubby is off next week, too, I think. Plus, it will be a good time to go -- I'll know what I *didn't* get for Christmas! ;-) And I have a Wool & Co. gift certificate request on my Christmas list.

I love that store. :heart: You know they have Karaoke, right?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-21-2005, 11:43 AM
well, I might drag my DH along, anyway. Tuesday and Wednesday are both good for me! Let's all convince KK she should take a mental health day from work and come with us!!!

DotMom61
12-23-2005, 01:28 AM
Oh, I had such a fun shopping trip this evening! I went to the 3rd Street Shops (http://www.3rdstreetshops.com/) in St. Charles, and I met the owner of "Needle Things," the LYS in the shops there. She was so nice, and on a whim I asked her if she took stuff on consignment because she had several knitted items for sale in her shop. Well, she took me "next door" (they have bunches of boothes set up, if you've never been there), and she showed me her other shop. It was FULL of items that had been knit, felted, crocheted, etc. She asked me what I could knit, and I said, "Oh, I think I can knit just about anything." :shock: And we started talking about felted bags and clogs, etc, etc. So, I told her I would bring some bags in after Christmas for her to look at! :cheering: The bags that she had there were selling for about $70!!! They were much smaller and more purse-like than the totes I've been making, too.

Anyway, she ALSO snuck a note and a little envelope into my bag. It contains magnetic business cards w/ a yarn deal on them -- buy 2 skeins; get 1 free -- and she told me to give them to my knitting group ('cause I told her about all of you :-D )!! So, I have a little gift for ya'll when we get together in January.

KellyK
12-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Hild....Im sowwy...I really only have Monday to come visit you..

JULIE!! That's FANNNTASTIC! PRESENTS! YAYYYYYY!

Julie
12-23-2005, 02:04 AM
I got an early Christmas present today -- a Wool & Co. gift card :happydance:

Vendie
12-23-2005, 07:28 AM
I've got my room booked at the Holiday Inn in Woodstock! I"m ready to go now. *drums fingers impatiently on desk*

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-23-2005, 07:43 AM
YAY FG!!!

No wool and co for me :verysad: Naturally it's time for another trashy in-law crisis and it looks like I'm going to be babysitting some illegitimate children next week :rollseyes: Of course, that could change. Did anyone (Julie, DM?) deide when/if you're going for sure?

Holly
12-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Did you decide to stay Friday and Sat night, FG? Is anyone else planning on an overnight? I can't believe how close we are to the get-together! :happydance:

Hilde -- your had me :roflhard: with the "another trashy in law crisis" line :roflhard: ! What was the crisis?

Vendie
12-23-2005, 11:45 AM
We're going to check in on Friday and check out on Sunday. Did we ever determine if we were going to do a Friday night thing or a Saturday night thing? Maybe Saturday night would work better if more people would already be around?

DotMom61
12-23-2005, 12:05 PM
YAY FG!!!

No wool and co for me :verysad: Naturally it's time for another trashy in-law crisis and it looks like I'm going to be babysitting some illegitimate children next week :rollseyes: Of course, that could change. Did anyone (Julie, DM?) deide when/if you're going for sure?

Hilde ...

I haven't decided for sure if I'm going. I think I'll wait and see what I get for Christmas -- i.e., W&C gift certificate; which books I got, etc -- and then decide.

Would it be too much of a hassle to bring the in-law kids along?

Andrea
12-23-2005, 12:16 PM
DM---

I want a present...can I still get one if I can't go on the 7th?? :verysad:

DotMom61
12-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Oh, I think we could work something out. ;-) Too bad you can't make it, though!!

Andrea
12-23-2005, 12:58 PM
:D :D :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

MaryS
12-23-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm planning on coming in Friday and staying at the same Holiday Inn as Fiber, and leaving Sunday, with a possible stop at the Sacred Harp singing on the way home to Michigan.

Anyone want to share a room? I don't smoke, and I DO knit!!!

Please PM me if this sounds good. I'll be away from the 'puter until Tuesday, but I'm getting really excited about this trip.

If anyone else from the Michigan area is interested in going to Chicago with me, I'd love :heart: :heart: to have company for the drive!!

Mary

Julie
12-24-2005, 03:51 PM
A PSA for northern Illinois knitters...in case you haven't heard...

Upcoming sales!!

December 27-31 at Wool & Co in Geneva....almost all yarn will be reduced by 25% for the whole week, with daily specials to 40%. Needles, books and accessories will be discounted 10%.

December 29-30 at Fringe in Aurora... All yarns 25% off (excludes Lamb's Pride), All kits 30% off, All books & needles 10% off, all accessories 15% off
And all red-tagged sale yarn 50% off!!

December 26-31 at Kool Knits in Naperville...20%-40% off selected yarn, 15% off all merchandise in our sale room, 15% off all Knitting Bags & Needle Cases

:cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-26-2005, 12:46 AM
thanks julie!!!!!

Yeah, it would be PSYCHO bringing the kids. "OH BOY! WHATS THAT! I WANT IT!" helllll no!

Julie
12-26-2005, 02:33 AM
Hey, I'm raising my girls to be very well-behaved in yarn stores. ;)

I'm not bringing them to the SSSAAALLLEEE though! DH is on vacation this week!! :happydance:

DotMom61
12-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Julie --

I think that Hilde was referring to my question about bringing along the children belong to her in-laws, for whom she will be baysitting. (How's *that* for good grammar, eh? )

Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to bring my kids. They love going to the yarn store; the only problem is that DS can't resist the swift and ball winder, and DD goes around finding all sorts of expensive yarn she thinks I ought to buy.

I *did* get a W&C gift certificate, btw. I just don't know when I'm going to be able to get over there. We're off to the clinic in a few minutes. If we get done there in time and DS's counts are OK, perhaps we'll stop by this afternoon.

Maybe we'll see some of you there! :cheering:

Julie
12-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Aaaaah.....

I went this morning at 10 a.m. I 'd had a dream that the Malabrigo was all gone, so I had to be there when they opened, just in case!! :roflhard:

And can I just say, knitters are just the friendliest people. Everyone was absolutely giddy at the sale. :D

KellyK
12-27-2005, 02:14 PM
WELLLL.....what'dja get???

Julie
12-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Well...I didn't go bonkers or anything, but I'm quite excited about what I got. Merry Christmas to me! :D

I had a dream last night that 1. they rearranged the store the night before the sale and 2. all of the Malabrigo was gone .... so I made a beeline to right where I knew it should be, and alas, there it was, my Malabrigo... :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

I got 2 skeins of Malabrigo in Violetas (the pic does not do it justice, it's a beautiful dusty-bluey-purpley colorway) :inlove:
2 skeins of Cascade Pastaza
1 skein of Araucania Nature Wool (the red -- dd is outgrowing her favorite clogs!)
2 skeins of Cashsoft DK (pink and blue, for baby gifts) 57% merino, 33% microfiber, 10% cashmere...YUM
and 1 skein of Regia 6-ply sock yarn, because I need a portable project!

I just might go back though........ ;)

KellyK
12-27-2005, 08:13 PM
NICEY NICE!!!!

DotMom61
12-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Beautiful choices, Julie!

I didn't get to go yesterday after all. We didn't get done @ the clinic 'til about 4:30. ugh! (The good news is that DS has *finally* started his final chemo round!)

I think I might try & make it over to W&C today, though. I think I'm going to be book shopping instead of yarn shopping. I'm pretty sure they have the 365 Knit Stitches perpetual calendar. Did I mention that Santa left me a gift certificate??

My M&D also sent me a rather sizable Hobby Lobby gift certificate, and also sent one for each of the kids. So, I think we'll go over there today & see what we can find. I'm going to round out my DPN collection and check out their book collection, too. Does Hobby Lobby sell Denise's??? :thinking:

Kelly -- I love the new pic of "pseudo" Howie. ;-) I need to find a New Year's avatar. I wonder if anyone's taken one of a Quaker with a party horn.

Mer
01-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Hi guys! I went to Wool & Co while I was in town (Thursday, I think) and thought perhaps I'd run into someone from KH, but I didn't see any familiar faces. Didn't buy anything either! :shock: I wish I could have been around for your get-together though. Have fun! ;)

DotMom61
01-02-2006, 02:30 AM
Mer --

So sorry we missed you! I did the same thing while I was there on Wed., though. I looked at each and every person I saw, but no familiar faces. I was a little disappointed in the book selection; I think I missed out on all the good ones.

Let us know when you're up this way again, Mer, and maybe some of us can meet you for coffee or lunch or something!

Julie
01-02-2006, 02:57 AM
I was there on Thursday for a bit...though I was hiding in the corner, obsessing about sock yarn.... :rollseyes:

DotMom61
01-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Am I remembering correctly that we are meeting @ 10 am on Sat??

KellyK
01-03-2006, 04:22 PM
11! I REALLY hope its 11! I dont want to have to leave my house at 8:30!! :shock:

Julie
01-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Julie, PM me if you'd like a ride! It's fune being the passenger...you get to knit all the way there if you want :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-03-2006, 05:56 PM
i have to finish a paper that i didn't finish over break becasue i spent too much time knitting

so i might be late or absent

please don't hate me :verysad:

DotMom61
01-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Kelly: You can come at 11, but if I can talk Julie into getting there at 10 ... well ...

Julie: Wanna get there at 10? ;-) And sure, I'd love a ride ... I'll PM you directions.

Hilde: I don't think we'd "hate" you for not coming; I think we'd feel sorry for you for missing out!!! I hope you can make it! When's the paper due?

Vendie
01-03-2006, 08:15 PM
oooh oooh oooh :shock: we could HELP you write your paper!!!

how much fun would that be? :D

Kirochka
01-03-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm so confused (plus my "Notify me when a reply is posted" thing for all the threads I was watching seem to have turned themselves off... so I hadn't seen anything for a while, plus I was out of town...) - are we meeting at 10 or 11? And for how long, "officially"? My husband and I only have one car, and I suspect he might want to go off and work some on Saturday, since we'll be at the singing all day Sunday and he usually likes to get one day of working in per weekend...

DotMom61
01-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Karen --

I'm not really sure -- as evidenced by my above post -- what time we're supposed to be meeting, but I'm wondering if someone coming through your area my be able to pick you up & deliver you back home. What suburb are you in??

Kirochka
01-03-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm in Algonquin - right off of Rt 31 north of 62, near the Algonquin Cemetery... I don't want anyone to have to go out of her way, though!

Karen

P.S. I told Kelly this in a PM, but I'm so proud of myself I'm going to repeat it: I've got a swatch about 2 square inches big of stockinette on my needles!!! So I won't be entirely unable to knit on Saturday!!! :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-03-2006, 11:46 PM
paper is due on sunday :verysad:

FG, If you want to write 20 pages on the cognitive processes of adolescents during constructivist learning activites, be my guest!!!!

VickiIL
01-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Will you be there until the store closes? (I am assuming so.) I will be late but I will be there! We have our Leadership Saturday for Church and I have to be there. We are done at 11:30 and according to map quest I can get there in just over an hour. So unfortunately I won't be there until 12:30-1:00.

DotMom61
01-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Vicki --

I would imagine we will be there @ that time. I'll PM you my cell phone #, and you can call and find out where we are.

Vendie
01-04-2006, 07:38 AM
paper is due on sunday :verysad:

FG, If you want to write 20 pages on the cognitive processes of adolescents during constructivist learning activites, be my guest!!!!

:shifty: but i was gonna fill it with dirty limmericks (with Angelia's help)

wildforyarn
01-04-2006, 11:32 AM
I am going to try and make it. I may have to end up working that day.... darn lawyers! But, we are going to meet again in like February right? So, if Hilde and I end up missing it, we can meet again shortly right? I was looking forward to meeting all of you, especially Amy and praising her for making such a great website!!!!

I will let you guys know soon....

MaryB
01-04-2006, 12:49 PM
FiberGirl, I'm sure your limmerick paper would be more interesting than most. The grade might not be so great, but you know the prof would appreciate the laughs.

I am hoping to see all of you in Woodstock, but I am taking it day to day with my Dad. :pray: :pray:

Holly
01-04-2006, 02:39 PM
:cheering: Our knitting date is almost here!! :happydance: Can't wait to meet you all :-) I stopped in the shop a couple of days ago, and the owner asked me if our count was still at around 12...should we do another count now that we are closer? (I think she is planning on bringing in more chairs, etc...) There will be a small crochet class going on between 10 and 12, but only 4 people or so -- still plenty of room for us!

The shop is only open 10-2 on Sat, but it is right off the Woodstock Square (it backs up to the Square) that has several restaurants and a Starbucks. So...for anyone who can't make it early, I'm sure we can move the party to another close location after 2. Are we planning on doing lunch together? Maybe we could do a late lunch after the shop closes? There is the La Petite Creperie that I have heard good things about (never eaten there, though): lapetitecreperie.net. However, I just noticed on the website that they close between lunch and dinner at 2:30.

FYI, The website for the Square is:
http://www.woodstock-il.com/index.asp?Type=B_LOC&SEC={C0E4FF97-86AD-4C14-81AA-A71F4EF591AD}

The website for the yarn shop is: www.wildyarn.com. You can see some pics of the store if you click on "hanging around the knitting shop."

If we are doing a recount, I'll start: 1!

P.S. How many have decided to stay in a motel?

DotMom61
01-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Two!

Vendie
01-04-2006, 02:53 PM
My mom and I are 3 and 4. We're staying at the Holiday Inn Express there in Woodstock.

Kirochka
01-04-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm, uh, 5, I think, unless someone beats me to it! And it looks like my husband's decided to stay home that day, so I'll have the car and be able to get there, even! ;) I'm not staying in a hotel.

I'm still not quite sure what time to show up, though!

Julie
01-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Six! :D

VickiIL
01-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Seven...But I won't be there until close to 1:00...

Thanks DotMom for the Cell#. I have already programed it into my phone.

I am all for a late lunch and more knitting after the store closes...Especially since I will be getting there so late!

KellyK
01-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Amy and I are 8 and 9....

I think the Creperie sounds WONDERFUL! If we leave the shop AT 2, we'll PREVENT them from closing! :twisted:

kimmie
01-04-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm 10!
Mmmmmm, crepes.....

kimmie

Lana
01-04-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm so new here, I only just found this post. I'm about an hour from Woodstock. I seached this thread for the date and location of your get together, but couldn't find it. Can anyone come? If so, would someone please post or send me a PM with the details?
:X: Lana

VickiIL
01-04-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm so new here, I only just found this post. I'm about an hour from Woodstock. I seached this thread for the date and location of your get together, but couldn't find it. Can anyone come? If so, would someone please post or send me a PM with the details?
:X: Lana

Saturday at 11:00 I believe (Although I hear some are saying 10) at Quietly Wild address 114 S Jefferson.

Did I get that all right?

KellyK
01-04-2006, 11:57 PM
OH LANA!! You are SOOOO welcome to come!!!! The more, the merrier! :cheering:

DotMom61
01-04-2006, 11:57 PM
I think "the other" Julie and I will probably get there around 10:30, if we head out right when she gets here. Of course, that won't happen 'cause the kids will have to meet her and tell her their whole life stories. :rollseyes:

But we'll try to keep the chit-chat to a minimum so we can get on the road.

Anyway, the other stuff looks right, Vicki. :D

VickiIL
01-05-2006, 09:55 AM
OK I have some super exciting news (for me at least) and some sad news.

The exciting news...My DH shocked me by saying I can get a spinning wheel...(it's my Christmas gift...we always wait until after Christmas to get our gifts to each other.) The bad news is he wants to go to the Fold(www.handspinning.com/thefold) in Marengo Saturday to pick it up....This is going to mean I can't make it to the KH Knitting Day :( This will be the second one I have missed. (And I will be missing out on meeting Amy! :( :( ) I am really missing you guys!

(Ya wouldn't want to change your location to Morengo would you? It's not that far from Woodstock? Lots of great fibers to pet?!?!?! )

DotMom61
01-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Why don't you call us when you get done picking up your wheel and find out where we are. We wouldn't mind meeting Mr. Vicki and the kids, too! :-D

Also, any chance you could make the Sacred Heart sing on Sunday?

Edit: I just checked ... it's only about 8 miles from store to store:

Kirochka
01-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Sacred HARP... ;) but it's a common mistake!

DotMom61
01-05-2006, 10:13 AM
:oops: And I knew that ... argh! My fingers haven't had enough coffee yet. :)

Lana
01-05-2006, 11:41 AM
If I can think of some pretense to get hubby to drive to Woodstock, I'll come by long enough to say hello and put faces to names.

Hmmmmmm, is there a llama farm in Marengo?

VickiIL
01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
If I can think of some pretense to get hubby to drive to Woodstock, I'll come by long enough to say hello and put faces to names.

Hmmmmmm, is there a llama farm in Marengo?

The fold (www.handspinning.com/thefold/) is in Marengo. I know they have sheep and goats...I have no idea about llama.

MaryS
01-05-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm 11 (or is it 12)

I'll be in on Friday afternoon, planning on heading home Sunday mid-morn.

Can't wait until tomorrow!!!!!

Mary

Vendie
01-05-2006, 03:05 PM
MaryS are you stopping by Chix with Stix first or going straight to Woodstock? We're going to stop at Chix first, prob between 3 and 4pm, so I have no idea when we'll get to Woodstock.

MaryS
01-05-2006, 03:19 PM
KK suggested I do the same thing, so I'm going to call the hotel and ask for late check-in.

When we get there - hot tub here I come!!

Mary

Vendie
01-05-2006, 04:24 PM
probably wouldn't be the best idea to knit in the hot tub would it? :?? shoot.

MaryB
01-05-2006, 04:31 PM
My fingers and toes are crossed----it looks like I wil be able to stop in on Saturday. I would not be able to stay for too long, but I am anxious to meet the ILL group. Oh yeah, and maybe do a little yarn shopping!

MaryS
01-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Yay, Mary!

It will be great to meet another Mary!
I went to Catholic schools through grade 6, and I NEVER had another Mary in any of my classes! Weird, huh? :??

See ya Saturday!!!

Mary

(And, no Fiber, I wasn't going to knit IN the hot tub, but after a five hour drive from MI, a little hot soak will be great - I tend to tense my right shoulder when I do long distance driving.) - Buuuttt.... where there's a will there's a way! :thumbsup:

Lana
01-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Vickie, you just can't come all the way from Plainfield and get within 8 miles of Woodstock and not drive a little farther.

And the family could see where Groundhog Day was filmed. :happydance:

VickiIL
01-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Vickie, you just can't come all the way from Plainfield and get within 8 miles of Woodstock and not drive a little farther.

And the family could see where Groundhog Day was filmed. :happydance:

I asked my DH and he said we could come by after picking up the wheel.

I just love that guy!

I will give you a call Dotmom to see where you are at!

Vicki

Lana
01-05-2006, 07:47 PM
I haven't been to Woodstock in years. I remember a really good bakery on the square, and thrift shop around the corner, but I don't recall a knit shop.

I really need to find some fingering weight baby yarn in blue and pink. Maybe I won't have to make up a reason to go to Woodstock on Saturday. :roflhard:

buddhacat
01-06-2006, 01:52 AM
:heart: Hey, I'm another new kid---and oddly enogh heard about the dual knitting/singing marathon via web search for shape note stuff and found AMY!!!!---Ta Da!!!! she generously wrote me about the knitting portion of the weekend.

I'm not sure I'll manage the knitting part (though I desperately want to knit with some buddies) as Woodstock is a tough drive with our Saturday schedule.

However, do any of you folks meet regularly---semi-regularly--or want to try to meet on the north side of the city? I know the guild has their meetings, but I've not managed that yet either.

Singing sounds good for Sunday!

Best,
Darinka[color=darkblue]

KellyK
01-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Darinka....Amy forwarded your email & I sent ya some info.

Hope you can join us tomorrow! :thumbsup:

DotMom61
01-06-2006, 11:55 AM
I wonder if the ladies at Quietly Wild have any idea what's about to hit them?? :shock:

KellyK
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
:twisted:

I know there's not enough time to really plan for this now, but lets throw some SHOCK VALUE into our next gathering....lets all knit WEENIE WARMERS or something! a dozen knitters, descending on some small Illinois knitshop, all with COLOR COPIES of a WW pattern, We'll make HERSTORY!! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Okay, it looks like I won't be able to make it until later... what's the plan after the yarn store? They close at 2:00 right? Where are we going afterwards?We have to get some work doneo n the car, and the only appointment we could make was saturday AM, but it's in Rockford, which is just about an hour from woodstock. But still 2 hours from my house *sigh*

Holly
01-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi all :D What time did we end up deciding on for Sat?

Lana
01-06-2006, 05:21 PM
I just got off the phone with the shop. Yes, they close at 2:00.
I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to know if I'll be able to stop by to say hello to everyone.

Kirochka
01-06-2006, 05:25 PM
I still don't know what time people are going to the shop!!! :D I'm planning on aiming for 11, myself...

kimmie
01-06-2006, 06:31 PM
I think that 11:00 is the official start time although several people might be getting there earlier. Is that right?
kimmie

Julie
01-06-2006, 08:06 PM
That's right :D

Holly
01-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Now all we need is our official Knitting Help Tshirts or badges so we can identify each other!!