PDA

View Full Version : Attention all ILLINOIS Knitters!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

VickiIL
06-14-2005, 01:05 PM
We have been playing around this for weeks now on various theads. I thought maybe we could actually make some plans if we brought all of the conversations to one central location!

So Who is interested in getting together for an Illinois KH Knitting Party? or even a regular meeting group? Sounds like fun?

Where would we meet? Naperville so far sounds like a good area for the people who have so far expressed interest. Any other ideas?

When? A night during the week? A Saturday Afternoon? (No Sundays for me - Sundays are family days is a hard and fast rule in my house)

KellyK
06-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Weekday evenings are GREAT for me, as DH works & Im all lonesome anyway...Saturdays are fine, too, but not til mid-July, as it seems every friend we have is getting married this year!

I will offer Berwyn, also, as a mid-way spot between the west/south/north suburbs and the city of Chicago! (Yes, Hilde, if its a Friday night, you can sleep over. If its not a Friday, you can still sleep over, but be ready to get up at 6:00 am so I can go to work!)

suziehomemaker
06-14-2005, 08:10 PM
I'm in!!! :cheering: :cheering:

I'm closest to Naperville but I don't mind a roadtrip. Weekends are probably best for me but I could do a weeknight as long as it's late enough for me to make it from work.

Are you thinking about having it at someone's house? a coffee shop? a LYS?

MaggieL
06-14-2005, 08:15 PM
I would love to participate. Maybe I need to move to Illinois???? Hmmm... husband, cat, home, work .....

wildforyarn
06-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey, I'm not from Illinois, but live fairly close (2.5 hrs.). If it were occassionally on the weekend, I would be willing to drive there!

VickiIL
06-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Where is everyone? I know a number of you said you were interested! Suzie? Julie? Hilde? Who else?

suziehomemaker
06-15-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm close to the Westfield mall (used to be called Fox Valley mall) and Rt 59 & 75th but I am willing to drive wherever!

Julie
06-15-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm close to Westfield too. So of course the Naperville/Fox Valley area sounds great to me. :thumbsup:

Holly
06-17-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm in Hebron (on WI line). I would love to meet you guys :D but probably a weekend or Fri night would work best. I've got a lot of vacation time planned throughout the summer, so I'll just be on the lookout for your planned date and see what I can do!

Is anyone planning on going to the Stitches convention in Rosemont?

Wildforyarn -- where exactly are you in WI? Maybe we could meet up and go together from this end! Are you by chance in the Necedah/Mauston area? (Just curious -- our camper is in Necedah and it takes us approx. 3 hrs.) Maybe we could meet up one of these days in your area :D

Holly

DotMom61
06-17-2005, 06:43 PM
Oh, I didn't see this thread the other day! Thanks, Vicki, for starting this. I'm in St. Charles, and the Naperville area would be great for me, too. I could probably make a week night -- Thurs. are generally not good, though. Also, I might be able to make a Saturday morning or afternoon.

This is so exciting. I can't wait to meet everyone!! I'm long overdue for a girls' night out! :cheering:

kimmie
06-17-2005, 06:55 PM
I vote for a Saturday, since Naperville is a hike for me.
:) kimmie

DotMom61
06-17-2005, 06:57 PM
I vote for a Saturday, since Naperville is a hike for me.

Kimmie --

Where will you be coming from??

DotMom61
06-17-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm close to the Westfield mall (used to be called Fox Valley mall) and Rt 59 & 75th but I am willing to drive wherever!

When did they change the name of Fox Valley Mall? Boy ... I need to get out more. :thinking:

kimmie
06-17-2005, 08:01 PM
I'd be coming from northeastern Illinois - by Wisconsin.
kimmie

suziehomemaker
06-18-2005, 09:56 AM
Wow - if you're coming from that far away then we'd better do something fun. What does everyone think about downtown Naperville? There's free parking and nice shops to visit. I'm not sure what their hours are but there's a LYS called Kool Knits in that area too.

DotMom61
06-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Wow - if you're coming from that far away then we'd better do something fun. What does everyone think about downtown Naperville? There's free parking and nice shops to visit. I'm not sure what their hours are but there's a LYS called Kool Knits in that area too.

Oh! That would be fun: A trip to the LYS and then to a coffee shop or something. I can just imagine the chaos that would ensue with all of us descending on the yarn store at once! :happydance:

Julie
06-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Just a thought....downtown Naperville + weekends = absolute freaking chaos. If we choose to go that route we need to have a *plan*, as it is a madhouse. Heck, you can't even find parking on a Thursday night any more, let alone in the daytime. ;)

KellyK
06-18-2005, 10:30 AM
OOOOH! And we could knit along the river walk!!!! :cheering:

DotMom61
06-18-2005, 04:31 PM
OOOOH! And we could knit along the river walk!!!! :cheering:

That would be cool!! We'll have a knit in! Is there anything we can protest while we're doing it?

VickiIL
06-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Kool Knits and downtown naperville sounds good to me. Now we need to pick a weekend. A Saturday in July AFTER the 4th weekend works well for me.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-19-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm in. I'm on summer vacation and aside from my mom viusiting (now) and my brother visiting (in july sometime ) I have nothing to do. anytime is good for me.

KellyK
06-19-2005, 05:17 PM
That would be cool!! We'll have a knit in! Is there anything we can protest while we're doing it?

Let's protest NOT knitting!

suziehomemaker
06-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Here's a link to the calender of events for Naperville in case this helps pick a day. Maybe there's something happening in the area that we want to avoid or attend:

http://www.visitnaperville.com/calendar/calendar.cgi

Kool Knits is on Jefferson street and they close "around 3:00". I'm not kidding - that's on their sign. It's very frustrating when I get there at 2:45! I think there's a Starbucks near there but I'm not sure, I'll have to drive by to see what's in the area that could be fun to knit at for a while.

suziehomemaker
06-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Kool Knits is on Jefferson street . . .

Ok - I lied, Kool Knits in on Washington. I'm directionally challenged and my DH had to correct me.

kemp
06-20-2005, 05:36 PM
I wish I lived closer!!! :doh: Maybe you guys should call Kool Knits and tell them what you are doing. Would they stay open later, offer "party" space, want to join you, etc. etc.

wildforyarn
06-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Holly, I am in Verona, which is a few miles outside of Madison. So, it is like 2.5 hours to Chicago. Where exactly are you? I am not sure how far Mauston is from here.... an hour or so?

Someone else mentioned they were on the Illinois/Wisconsin border... where would that be?

Mer
06-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Ok, I will be in the western suburbs for, oh, 12 hours on July 28th. From 9:00 pm til the next morning. I think you should schedule your little get together around me, don't you? :rofling:

*sigh* I guess I'll just have to be jealous. Oh, Kemp, I'll be in Cincinnati later that weekend! If I didn't have so much family stuff to do and had access to a car, I'd say we could have our own little knitting party. :XX:

kemp
06-21-2005, 10:56 AM
:thinking: What are you doing way up here? Not quite enough north to escape the summer heat :)

Mer
06-21-2005, 11:24 AM
:thinking: What are you doing way up here? Not quite enough north to escape the summer heat :)
I'll be at my cousin's wedding (in West Chester, actually).

suziehomemaker
06-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Maybe you guys should call Kool Knits and tell them what you are doing. Would they stay open later, offer "party" space, want to join you, etc. etc.

I took your advise and called. The lady I spoke with was absolutely wonderful! She said that free of charge we can sit and knit any time they are open in her shop. They just expanded and have a nice sized "classroom" that we could use. She only requested that I let her know once we set up a date just as a heads up. She also recommended not doing this July 9th since that's the sidewalk sale and parking will be sparce. Their hours are 10-3 on Saturday.

How about Saturday, July 16th at around noon?

For those of you not familiar with Naperville, there are two FREE parking garages within walking distance of Kool Knits and all of the stores. If you need to Mapquest the store the address is 232 South Washington, Naperville, Illinois 60540

DotMom61
06-21-2005, 11:53 AM

Suzie --

First of all, thank you for taking the initiative and calling the store!! Sounds like a great place!

Secondly, my family & I have tenative plans on the 16th. :( Would anyone be opposed to waiting until the 23rd??? If the 16th works out best for everyone, perhaps you'll have so much fun you'll want to do this again, and I'll catch up with everyone the next time around.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone else has going on ...

suziehomemaker
06-21-2005, 11:55 AM
July 23rd works for me.

:thumbsup:

DotMom61
06-21-2005, 12:00 PM
July 23rd works for me.

:thumbsup:

Vunderbar! I hope it works for everyone else, too! I just sent a note to hubby @ work to make sure there's not something I've forgotten about for that date! :pray:

wildforyarn
06-21-2005, 06:19 PM
I work on the 23rd. :crying: July is a bad month for me. Oh well, maybe if this one goes well, we will have another Illinois/Wisconsin gathering.

Any of the Wisconsin people game for a gathering in late August/early September?

KellyK
06-21-2005, 11:10 PM
I'll be at my cousin's wedding (in West Chester, actually).
I am all of 10 minutes from Westchester!!!

I have a wedding that day, but I think the 23rd is free!! :cheering: :cheering:

kimmie
06-21-2005, 11:56 PM
I can't make it on the 23rd, but I know you all will have fun and hopefully we can do it again sometime.
kimmie

VickiIL
06-22-2005, 12:37 AM
The 23rd is good for me :cheering:

Holly
06-22-2005, 10:50 AM
The 23rd is the day I leave on my 2 week vacation, so I'll miss the first get-together ...but I'm sure there will be more!!

Wildforyarn -- I'm definately up for a late Aug./early Sept meeting. I'm just hitting mapquest to figure out where I am in relation to Verona!

Back from Mapquest -- It looks like Janesville might be right in the middle ...what do you think? Are there any other IL/WI people that are in the vicinity of Janesville? I appear to be 98 miles from Verona (from my house), and 88 miles from my camper. Janesville is approx. 45 min to an hr from my home.

Hmmm...something to think about!

Holly

suziehomemaker
06-22-2005, 02:07 PM
So far we have 4 confirmed:

Suziehomemaker
VickiIL
KellyK
DotMom61

:cheering: :XX: :cheering:

Any other takers for our "sit and knit" & possibly later "drink coffee & shop" session?

(We'll definitely have to do this again in other locations.)

Stonington
06-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Can you all come to Maine? lol.... :cheering:

Julie
06-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Looks like I can make it too! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-23-2005, 01:30 AM
I'm on for the 23rd!!! yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :cheering:

can we make t shirts or visors or something else dorky to wear?

KellyK
06-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Can you all come to Maine? lol.... :cheering:
Id LOVE to!!!!

YAYYYYYYYYYY HILDIEEEEEE!!!!! :cheering:

Holly
06-23-2005, 09:53 AM
OK...I'm officially jealous that I can't make the 23rd :crying: -- -- even if it is for a good reason like going on vacation :balloons:

Holly

suziehomemaker
06-23-2005, 09:54 AM
can we make t shirts or visors or something else dorky to wear?

What do you have in mind? :thinking:

MaryB
06-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Sorry I can't be there. The 23rd is the day we are leaving for Maine. Maybe next time. Don't have too much fun....you will make us all jealous.

Stonington
06-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Maine? Did I "hear" Maine... Hi... and a pre-welcome to ya!.. We love company here in Maine! :cheering:

MaryB
06-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Love Maine!!! I look forward to this every year---great beach time, delicious food(that I don't have to cook), friendly people, beautiful scenery! I want to go now!!

Stonington
06-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Please do come! I have to agree.... though not a native... but have been here a long, long time.. and love it! DH is going fishing Saturday and I think I will go to the coast with my socks in progress. :cheering: :XX:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-23-2005, 07:42 PM
What do you have in mind? :thinking:
I don'' know! I have some "interestingly" shaped "antenna" headbands, but they are not appropriate for pulic (and they'd need a "warmer" if you get my drift).

but seriously, a pin or button or "i love KH" or something. just so we look unified (unity is important, right?)

Julie
06-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Well, if we're going for coffee, we could all knit matching coffee cozies.... :D

suziehomemaker
06-24-2005, 08:48 AM
but seriously, a pin or button or "i love KH" or something. just so we look unified (unity is important, right?)

I like that idea. Should we make our own or does someone have some free time and access to a pretty color printer?

DotMom61
06-24-2005, 12:39 PM
does someone have some free time ?

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

(I shouldn't even be on here right now!! :shock: )

suziehomemaker
06-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Yeah me too - it's Friday afternoon and I just can't be expected to be productive today. It's too dang hot!

Anyway, how about we make nametags for ourselves and just decorate them. I think I have some crayons hidden around my house somewhere. Unless someone feel creative and wants to make one for everyone?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

kimmie
06-28-2005, 09:09 AM
Okay, since I can't make it to the July get-together... sniff... what does anyone think about trying Long Grove sometime?? It's a gorgeous little town that people come from far and wide to visit. There are tons of CUTE shops one of which is a famous chocolate shop. Of course, there is the mandatory YARN/KNITTING store. Maybe in early fall or something??

suziehomemaker
06-28-2005, 09:13 AM
That's only 42 miles from my house. Depending on the date I'm in.

:cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
06-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Long Grove is adorable, plus its pretty in the Fall. And Ill drive anywhere within an hour....FABULOUS!

wildforyarn
06-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Where is Long Grove? If not too far from Madison, Wisconsin, I would love a fall day trip! I can't make the gathering on the 23rd either. :crying:

KellyK
06-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Here's a map (http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ahXX=&1y=US&1a=&1c=Madison&1s=WI&1z=&2ahXX=&2y=US&2a=&2c=Long+Grove&2s=IL&2z=)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-28-2005, 12:13 PM
sheesh, long grove is super far away for me too! (on KK's handy map, I'm about 10 miles from where sterling is ). At least a 2 hours drive. poop.. i wish there was cooler stuff near me "Uh, welcome to Dixon... here's regan's house... and 10 gas stations.... and 10 pizza places... and the new stupid walfart.... here's the stinky river..... that's it....." :wall: Anyway, if it's on a weekend, I'll go, but once school starts I need to limit my weekday travels to whatever is between dixon and dekalb (which is basically a lot of corn). :mad:

MaryB
06-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Ummmm...I'm about 10 minutes from Long Grove. It is really beautiful, The knit shop, I'd Rather Be Knitting, is great. Kind of high end yarns, but a good place to get ideas. The Long Grove Tavern is a good place for lunch, however on week-ends it can be pretty crowded. The Irish in me requires that I mention that there are two Irish import shops!!!
I will pick up a schedule for the Fall. Trust me, we do not want to be there on a week-end filled with activities. Parking and shopping are close to impossible at these times. Apple pressing time is nuts!

KellyK
06-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Hildie, you should TOTALLY see if the Dixon Historical Society is hiring any docents during the summer....your LOVE of the place REALLY SHINES THROUGH!

poop..

:roflhard: You said "poop". :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-28-2005, 02:18 PM
oh i did???????????? :shock: i meant to say "poo" :oops:

kimmie
06-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Wow! Now I can stop feeling sorry for myself about missing the July 23rd thing and start being really excited about seeing you all in Long Grove sometime in the fall. I like the idea about waiting til the leaves are turning color. I also think the idea of picking a weekend when there's not some event going on is super smart...if there is such a weekend.
Fun, fun, fun!!

MaryB
06-28-2005, 05:36 PM
The only Fall festival on Long Grove's merchant's web is the Apple Festival , Sept 30, Oct. 1&2. I will check the next time I am over there just to make sure.
I hope this works. I feel really bad that I cannot make the July soiree. Have fun!

suziehomemaker
07-09-2005, 03:29 PM
ILLINOIS (and nearby Wisconsin) KNITTERS:

During my trip to Kool Knits today I met the owner and confirmed our July 23rd date at her shop. She thought this was a great idea and couldn't believe that we all met on the internet. She said that we can have the classroom to sit and knit - I saw it for the first time and there should be plenty of room for us.

If you need directions or help finding the free parking garage PM me. Her shop isn't exactly clear to see from the street so you're best bet is to park first and then walk to her shop (right next door to Potbelly's on the second floor of the small building).

The owner was so excited to have all of us stop in and knit. I can't wait! It will be the longest time I've ever spent in a LYS without my DH there to control my spending!! Yippee!!

Julie
07-09-2005, 04:56 PM
:cheering:

Did we set a time? I looked back trough the thread and didn't see one. But I could just be dim... (MAYBE)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-09-2005, 04:58 PM
nope, we didn't. I don't think. and where are we meeting again?

suziehomemaker
07-10-2005, 08:37 AM
I think it was noon since they're open 10-3ish, does that work for everyone?

DotMom61
07-10-2005, 10:42 AM
I think it was noon since they're open 10-3ish, does that work for everyone?

Noon? Oh, could we *pleeeeeease* make it earlier??? I just know we're all going to get together and yack, and yack, and yack, and my husband and I have a date that night.

I know, you all can just come along with us! "Honey, I hope you don't mind, I brought my knitting ... and all my knitting friends!" :roflhard:

I *can't wait* for this!!! It's going to be so much fun!!!

KellyK
07-10-2005, 12:38 PM
I am SOOOOOOOOO excited! :cheering: Noon (or 11) is GREAT for me.

I would like to know where the FREEEE parking is, though...

Maybe Ill get myself some "real" stitch markers since Hildie was making fun of my blue string yesterday.... :verysad: Do they have preeeety ones, Suz?

suziehomemaker
07-10-2005, 12:53 PM
DotMom - Would 11 work better?

KellyK - There's two levels and two entrances for the closest parking garage.

For the lower level: From 88 west, take Naper Blvd Exit south, turn right onto East Chicago Ave, you'll pass by North Central College, at the bottom of the hill the turn right into the parking garage.

If the lower level is full, just go around the block to the other entrance. You'll need to exit the parking garage, turn right onto East Chicago, right onto South Washington, right onto East Jefferson and then you'll have the upper level entrance on your right.

Kool Knits is in the building next to Potbelly's on the second floor on Washington Street.

***Disclaimer: DH gave me these directions so I am not responsible if you get utterly lost in the suburbs of Naperville. You can blame him completely but must buy him a beer afterwards

DotMom61
07-10-2005, 04:42 PM
DotMom - Would 11 work better?

That would be fine with me, but seriously, if everyone else wants to meet @ noon, I can live with that, too. :-) Whatever works for the most people!!

VickiIL
07-10-2005, 08:05 PM
11 or noon works well. I am very excited about meeting everyone. I can't wait!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-10-2005, 09:37 PM
First, today DH and I went to the Bristol Renaissance Faire. Some of the areas we drove through on the way there and back are:
Hebron
Vernon Hills? Heights?
Schaumburg (sp?)
Orland Park
Naperville

So like every town we were near, I was like "ooo! so-and-so lives here I think! HI!!!!!!!!!" :-) Did I mention we were kind of lost? I'll go into the ordeal later.

ANYWAY, can I have an exact name and address for this place? I will definitely be there before 11 I hope, because it takes me like 10 years to find a place to SIT in a yarn store, let alone the milleania I spend wandering, feeling, looking, drooling....

yay! I'm excited!

amy
07-10-2005, 09:48 PM
This is so great that you gals are all getting together!! :heart:
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Now, when and where are you meeting? :?? (I can't make sense of it. :blush:)

suziehomemaker
07-10-2005, 09:50 PM
http://www.koolknits.com/

232 South Washington, Naperville, IL 60540

630-983-6310

amy
07-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Great! You're meeting on July 23rd, right?

Wow, it's coming up! You all must be so excited!!! :happydance:

suziehomemaker
07-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Sor far it's Saturday, July 23rd at 11 am. Who's in for sure and who's a maybe?

I told the owner that if we have more than 10 people I'd let her know so she can have enough room for us.

" . . . I'm so excited . . . and I just can't hide it . . ." insert musical notes here from the 80s.

:cheering:

Julie
07-10-2005, 11:19 PM
I am in!

And I just want to add that the building the shop is in looks like a little yellow house. Funny that I live like 5 minutes away but have never been there...I did a drive-by today though. (I'm in Geneva much more often!) :D

Also of note in downtown Naperville, right across from the yarn store as a matter of fact...Penzey's Spices! If you like to cook, it's a must-stop. :thumbsup:

kimmie
07-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Oh, I am feeling so bummed out that I cannot make it this time, but for sure I want to do yarn and chocolate in Long Grove in the fall! Somebody remember to bring a camera so I can live vicariously through the pics.

VickiIL
07-11-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm in! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
07-11-2005, 11:47 PM
I am SO in that I may be there TWICE! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-12-2005, 12:35 AM
OMG! they close at 3:00!! :shock: Is 4 hours of knitting enough time???? I hope there's another place we can migrate to...

Julie
07-12-2005, 12:42 AM
There's a Barnes & Noble with a cafe two doors down. :D

suziehomemaker
07-12-2005, 08:50 AM
DH made plans with another couple for that night. I can't believe him! So I have to be at my house with a wonderful dinner prepared by 5:00. I think I may have to leave by 3 at the latest.

I'm bringing my wallet to this one. I want to make something simple with their alpaca yarns. Now I just need to find a pattern to add to my to do list! Or I might pick one up there and try something new.

KellyK
07-12-2005, 09:33 AM
If Its nice out, we can find a bench or two (or a blanket on the ground? Ill bring one just in case!) along the riverwalk....Its SO PRETTY there!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-13-2005, 12:32 AM
SUZIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :verysad:

oo i like to sit outside. and I like B&N too... we can look at the knitting books!

DotMom61
07-13-2005, 10:34 AM
There's a Barnes & Noble with a cafe two doors down. :D

OMG!!! Books AND knitting?! There is NO way I'm going to get home in time for my date with my DH!! :rofling:

DotMom61
07-15-2005, 10:48 AM
I had an idea for name tags: What if we all print out our avatars & put them on a name tag that has both our screen name and our real name. It might help us keep track of each other a little easier.

All right ... I'm about to volunteer to do something :doh: ... I have a package of name tags. How many of us are going?

I suppose I could make up the name tags for everyone. I'm sounding reluctant because I'm afraid that it's going to turn into a project. :shock: It shouldn't be that bad, I guess. What do you all think?

suziehomemaker
07-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Shoot - I need to get an avatar then. Any suggestions?

DotMom61
07-15-2005, 10:57 AM
You don't *have* to have one. You can just be the avatar-less one! :-)

KellyK
07-15-2005, 10:58 AM
I hate to see you go through extra trouble, Dot....if there are only 5-6 of us, cant we remember that many names?

Although, it would be kinda funny to have our AVs prodly displayed under the KH logo or something....

I, for one, am going to have trouble remembering whose blog said what. Can we each print out a copy of our blogs to wear on our chests? :roflhard:

DotMom61
07-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Oh, I don't really think it would be *that* big of a deal, but it's also not absolutely necessary.

Heck, I thought I just might show up with a bag on my head so everyone would know who I was. (hee hee)

suziehomemaker
07-15-2005, 11:01 AM
I guess I'm going to have to eventually tell you guys my real name. I just realized that I never did (oops).

Or I could make up a cool one like Shaniqua or Gwen . . .

DotMom61
07-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Oh, you can tell us, but I have a feeling we'll all just call you Suzie anyway! Just like Hilde ... she might as well just get her driver's license changed. ha ha!

KellyK
07-15-2005, 11:09 AM
If you dont wanna post it, you could PM the select few......

But, yeah....I CANNOT and WILL NOT call Hildie "Carolyn". :? Who came up with THAT name for her, anyway?? She IS a HILDIE!!! :thumbsup:

suziehomemaker
07-15-2005, 11:13 AM
I think if we do name tags that we should have both names on there. I get confused easily - :roflhard:

suziehomemaker
07-15-2005, 12:24 PM
I just found a cute picture of my kitties and uploaded it as my avatar. does that work?

DotMom61
07-15-2005, 12:51 PM
I just found a cute picture of my kitties and uploaded it as my avatar. does that work?

Purrfect. :-) They're adorable! I really, really wish we could have a cat or a dog. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to do one or the other. Makes me so sad. :verysad:

suziehomemaker
07-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Ladies!!! I just got a notice of a sale going on at Kool Knits through . . . July 23rd!!!

Here's the details:

Stop in soon to take advantage of our July specials, valid now through July 23rd!
-20% off selected seasonal & novelty yarn
-10% off all in-stock needlepoint canvases & fibers
-Take an extra 10% off all merchandise in our sale room
July specials are not valid in conjunction with other discounts.

Plus double Preferred Customer Stamps if you have the coupon (I can PM it to you if you want it)

I love sales!!! :cheering:

KellyK
07-15-2005, 05:55 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

And, your kitties are BEAUTEEFUL!

Julie
07-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey y'all, I was in Kool Knits today and told the woman there that I was coming next weekend, and she was all, "oh! with the group?!" :D She said to tell you that she will give us an extra 10% off our purchases. And the shop might be in a little bit of disarray since they are moving things around. She also asked about the time, and I told her 11:00.

Then -- IT GETS BETTER -- I got home and there was a thank-you card for me in the mail (I did a big favor for someone) with $100 inside! Totally unexpected. My first thought was, she shouldn't have...my second thought was, YARN MONEY! :cheering:

suziehomemaker
07-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Julie that's awesome! We've got a cool chicks discount!

Julie
07-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Suzie, I forgot to add, it was so funny...she said, "the woman, the one who called and then came here with her husband...I don't know her name..." and I wanted to say "I don't know her name either!" but I thought she'd peobably look at me funny. :roflhard:

After taking my family out to lunch today and making a few small knitting purchases, my windfall is down to $60...but it's earmarked for YARN! I'm so excited! :D

suziehomemaker
07-18-2005, 08:47 AM
Yeah - I got freaked out after Kemp's post warning all of us about posting personal information on forums or blogs. I'll make sure to put my real name on my name tag this Saturday!

Wait a minute - our get together is THIS Saturday! I'm so excited!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
07-18-2005, 09:17 AM
I know.....Im DYIN for the end of the week to get here!!! :cheering:

It's funny...Hildie and I were talking the other night. Instead of the usual girly worrying about what we're gonna WEAR, we're waffling about what we're gonna KNIT! :roflhard:

suziehomemaker
07-18-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm worried too! Do I bring a project that's a joy to knit but takes concentration or do I bring something mindless so I can talk?

Decisions! Decisions!

:roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-18-2005, 10:49 AM
WHEW! I'm absent for TWO DAYS and all this happpens!
I like the name tag idea, but I don't want you have to do it all! I have some "hi my name is....." tags left over from school, I could bring those.

So about this sale thingy.....
they are having a sale AND we get 10% off on top of that??????????? That's insane! Yeah, I want the coupon, cuz heck, if it's a sale, I have to buy a lot so I can tell DH how much I saved!

Yeah, I changed my "project" about 4 times. I don't want to do anything I need to think too hard about b/c I want to talk to everyone too!

Are we allowed to bring beverages in this place?

YAY! :happydance: I'm excited :happydance:

suziehomemaker
07-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I want the coupon, cuz heck, if it's a sale, I have to buy a lot so I can tell DH how much I saved!

I'll print a bunch out and bring them with me. Do you think 10 should be enough?

KellyK
07-18-2005, 12:10 PM
At the last count, I think we have 6 coming.

Suzie
Julie
Hildie
DotMom (another Julie! How are we gonna work THAT?)
Vickie
Me

Kimmie and Amy will be there in spirit, so I dont think they need coupons.

Im gonna bring mindless so I can chat. Plus, after my Soleil fiasco, I WANT mindless!

suziehomemaker
07-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Done! They're printed and already in my knitting bag!

MaryB
07-18-2005, 06:12 PM
I'll be there in spirit too! Have a great time! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mary

suziehomemaker
07-22-2005, 11:14 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

It's tomorrow! Whoo-hoo!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
07-22-2005, 12:54 PM
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: GLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Rennagayle
07-22-2005, 01:22 PM
DON'T FORGET YOUR CAMERA!!!

That way, we can all enjoy the "Suzie, Julie, Hildie, DotMom, Vickie, and Kelly" show! :mrgreen:

Julie
07-22-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm bringing mine....it has a timer! :D

KellyK
07-22-2005, 03:10 PM
We can take pictures of each other taking pictures of each other!!!! :??

Rennagayle
07-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Ask the nice lady who runs the shop to snap a group picture; but make sure no one has their finger up their nose or such, first. :rofling:

KellyK
07-22-2005, 07:56 PM
(Quote from KK's blog)

Hildie is HEEEEERE!!!!! :cheering: She's sitting RIGHT next to me! She says HI! :waving: Now she's givng you all the finger. She had better be careful because Im gonna type everything she says. :twisted:

I gave Hildie a tour of where I work...she met all of my wonderful old people.

Then we went to the HC and we treadmilled for about 1/2 hour @ 3mph.

Then we came back home & Hildie met the pooches!!! Howie is sitting on her lap right now. Hildie tried on Soleil and it looks FANTASTIC on her! That pattern was written ESPECIALLY for her BAGS, Im sure of it.

Now we're either gonna order pizza or go out for Thai food after the dogs are done eating.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-22-2005, 08:28 PM
(Quote from Hildie's blog)

YAY! I'm at KK's house!!! :cheering:

I didn't mention this, because I didn't know there was a difference... It's casecade 220 superwash ... does that make a difference???
KK just put her pits in my face :shock: it was... fun. She tried to pretend she was turning on her light for me, but I think she just needed a pit check.

*knotty alert*
Anyway. KK's soleil looks KILLER on my bags :-) I'm so glad she knit it just for me!!!!!!!!! she's going to give me her 2 extra balls of shine. she asked if I wanted a sack for them, but I said i already had a sack with balls at home. HAHAHA. (sorry)

kk smokes a LOT! I am going to train her out of it! :fingerwag:

Rorshach
07-22-2005, 08:43 PM
heh, makes me want to move to Illinois. or would that REALLY be a good idea? :?? Seriously, I suppose I could find a knitting group around here, but too many things going to do so, at this time anyway.

MaggieL
07-22-2005, 08:47 PM
I wish I could go. :crying: But, you guys have a great time and buy something for those of us who can't go to the sale. :lol:

Sara
07-22-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm going to go to my LYS tomorrow to be closer in spirit with you guys!

Licensed2Cook
07-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Hello Ladies,

It was sure nice knitting with all of you this morning, you are sure a fun loving group, please let me know if you'll be coming out this way again and I'll try to meet up with for some quality :XX: time

KellyK
07-23-2005, 06:06 PM
OMG Dee!! It was SO fun to meet you! I bet I can speak for all of us when I say that I sure hope you hop over to KH more often. Thanks so much for lending your hints and tips!!!

WE HAD SO MUCH FUN TODAY!!!!! I think Ill start a new thread so we can all detail our day together.

Rennagayle
07-23-2005, 06:13 PM
WE HAD SO MUCH FUN TODAY!!!!! I think Ill start a new thread so we can all detail our day together.

Yea! We want to hear all about it. :cheering:

Don't rush or anything. I mean, it's not like we've not all known all day that you guys are off having fun, knitting, talking, laughing, probably eating, getting to know each other, and so on, while we all sit here patiently, waiting for the crumbs you throw our way. :verysad:

tap tap tap....tap tap tap....tap tap tap...(sound of my feet as I wait :?eyebrow: )

KellyK
07-23-2005, 06:52 PM
AWWWWWWWWWW POOR RENNA!!!! :( :inlove:

Here's a link to the new thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27866#27866)

VickiIL
07-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Hello Ladies,

It was sure nice knitting with all of you this morning, you are sure a fun loving group, please let me know if you'll be coming out this way again and I'll try to meet up with for some quality :XX: time

Dee, it was so much fun meeting you! Thanks for the quick 3 needle bind off lesson!

I would love to be able to go to your retreat in December...Gonna have to think of something really nice for DH to get him to agree to let me go!

Rennagayle
07-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Thanks, Kelly. :notworthy:

DotMom61
08-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Hey, Illinois Buddies!

I just ran across this class (http://www.woolandcompany.net/detail.aspx?ID=2535) at Wool and Company in Geneva. Would anyone be interested in taking this?

VickiIL
08-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Hmm...Sounds like fun.

I might be up for it. I am definately up to another KH illinois get together!

DotMom61
08-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Me, too, Vicki! Plus, I thought the cost of the class was relatively small considering that you don't need to bring materials. Most of their other classes are over $50 and you have to buy/bring your own materials! :shock:

kimmie
08-30-2005, 03:21 PM
It looks like fun, but school nights don't work so well for me. I'm still hoping we can all get together in Long Grove this fall though. Does anyone have any days that work better than others?

kimmie

VickiIL
08-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Oh..Why was I thinking it was a Saturday. Sorry Julie, I won't be able to do that one.

VickiIL
09-12-2005, 05:17 PM
OK!!!! So is anyone up for anotherr Illinois KH get together? I need to get out of this house!

kimmie
09-12-2005, 05:40 PM
I am totally up for that, except that I really can't do it til after Oct 9.
kimmie

Licensed2Cook
09-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Ladies if you are really interested in the wire knitting then PLEASE come to Wisconsin for the Saturday only portion of the retreat. (Is my begging really becoming too obvious??) Check out Annie's blog entry dated Aug 23rd and click on the links to the pictures of some of her wire projects for her upcoming book. You will be knitting great jewelry in no time flat!!!! I promise. I just love the necklace I made using her kit.

http://www.modeknit.com/blog/archive/2005_08_01_index.html

Besides I'd like to see you all again anyway, you are a really fun group.

VickiIL
09-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Dee,

I so want to come for the entire retreat...I just can't afford it right now. I know you have a spinning class as well....I SOOO very much want to be there. I hope you find people to fill in your empty spots.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-12-2005, 09:03 PM
me too :-( I can't come at all :verysad:

Can we DO an illinois get together in october??

suziehomemaker
09-13-2005, 08:34 AM
October sounds good to me!

VickiIL
09-13-2005, 09:30 AM
October sounds good! Let's see I could do the 8th, the 22nd and the 29th. What about everyone else?

kimmie
09-13-2005, 02:17 PM
I can do Oct. 15, 16, 23, or 29th.

Maybe one of us should call the yarn shop in Long Grove and see if they would be willing to accomodate us/give us discounts, etc???

kimmie

DotMom61
09-13-2005, 04:05 PM
I can tentatively make it the 8th, 22nd or 29th.

kimmie
09-13-2005, 04:35 PM
So far the 29th is looking like it fits well into the schedules of those who have replied. How does that look for others?
Crossing my fingers,
kimmie

VickiIL
09-13-2005, 05:04 PM
29th is fine for me? Anyone else???

I am not familiar with Long Grove.

KellyK
09-13-2005, 05:28 PM
I have to check with DH and check my work schedule....that's the weekend after my BDay, and I have to get to Indiana to visit my aunts & uncles sometime soon, too...

wildforyarn
09-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Oh, I can't do the 29th, I will be in Los Angeles! :( I could do the weekend before though... but only on Sunday. I have to work that Saturday morning and by the time I got down there, it would be at least 2:00 p.m. and you all would be winding down. :( I so wanted to meet some of you. As for the Retreat Dee, I can't afford to do it right now, but I really wanted to! It sounds so fun!!

Vendie
09-15-2005, 01:41 PM
I have to check with DH and check my work schedule....that's the weekend after my BDay, and I have to get to Indiana to visit my aunts & uncles sometime soon, too...

And *clears throat* vist FiberGirl too *tapping foot*

KellyK
09-15-2005, 01:45 PM
ABSOLUTELY!!! Are there any weekends in October that you would prefer, FG?

Vendie
09-15-2005, 02:00 PM
(Editing to add:) KK - I have that spinning class on Sundays from the 9th to the 23rd, but I'm sure you could tag along for that. You wanted to see Sheep Street anyway. Baaaaa.

My MIL is supposed to be visiting sometime in October, but we don't know when yet - she's coming for the autumn color change (Brown County is just GORGEOUS in the fall), so probably later in the month. Other than that, any weekend is fine.

(Usually my weekends aren't nearly this busy :rollseyes: )

suziehomemaker
09-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Maybe I missed it - where are we having our get together this time?

VickiIL
09-15-2005, 02:06 PM

I don't think we decided. Or if we did...I missed it too.

VickiIL
09-15-2005, 02:07 PM
I have that spinning class on Sundays from the 9th to the 23rd, but I'm sure you could tag along for that. You wanted to see Sheep Street anyway. Baaaaa.

Where is your spinning class...I am still working on teaching myself but would love to take a class. Is it drop spindle?

Vendie
09-15-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm taking a spinning class at a LYS called Sheep Street in Morgantown, IN (south of Indianapolis)...Since KellyK has family that lives very close to me I keep nagging her to stop by...

Anyway, this particular class I think is covering many aspects of spinning, including drop spindle. This store has a variety of spinning wheels to play with, so I'm sure we'll be doing that too. I think we'll also be covering how to prep the rovings, etc. I'm really looking forward to it!! I bought a drop spindle at the Fleece Fair this past spring (in Greencastle, in west-central IN), but I haven't used it yet! :oops:

KellyK
09-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Oh...sorry...FG lives very close to my family in Indiana....We've kinda scooched over a state for a minute there!!

NEWS!! GLEEEEEE! Im gonna go check out a new (new to me) LYS tonight!! Mosaci Yarn Studio (http://www.mosaicyarnstudio.com/) is in DesPlaines right by my mom's...She's never felt alpaca, so we're goin out to dinner, and then she's goin with me! Im lookin at FT shawl patterns (Estonian Garden, anyone??)

Ill give ya a full report as soon as I return!

DotMom61
09-15-2005, 02:55 PM

If I recall correctly, we had talked about going to Long Grove.

MaryB, was that you who lives near Long Grove?

MaryB
09-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Yes, I do live close to Long Grove. The shop there is called I'd Rather Be Knitting. A nice shop---pricey though!
Kelly mentioned that she was going to Mosaic Yarns tonight. Let's see what she thinks of that shop. They might be more receptive to a group visit.

KellyK
09-15-2005, 10:59 PM
OMG Mosaic Yarn Studio is AWESOME!!!! THey have more notions, patterns and books than any store Ive ever seen! Also, the largest stock of Noro yarns....they have EVERYTHING! I only wish they carried Berroco. They have classes out the WAZOO! And, a HUGE back room for sittin & knittin. But...here's another thing...one of the girls that works there is someone I graduated from HIGH SCHOOL with! She recognized me...it took us a while to figure it out, but...SMALL WORLD!! :shock:

MaryB
09-15-2005, 11:10 PM
:thumbsup: Mosaic Yarns :thumbsup:
I'm so glad you liked the shop. It is a great place to spend $$$$-----just ask my Visa Card!

Licensed2Cook
09-18-2005, 09:45 AM
I've been told about Mosaic Yarn Shop before and that it's awesome but I still haven't made the trip. Oh and then I turn around and see the mound of yarn behind me and say to myself "What makes you think you have to go see more yarn?" :rollseyes:

I'll get there though, I'm just not saying when. ;)

KellyK
09-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Oh, Dee...there is SO much more than yarn there! They have more books and notions than Ive ever seen! And, GREAT atmosphere....very much like Kool Knits!

VickiIL
09-21-2005, 02:54 PM
OK...So now where again is Mosaic? Is that where we plan on meeting? And did we narrow down a date?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-21-2005, 05:22 PM
ME ME ME MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

i want to come too!!!!! I think i am working the halloween dance at school on the 29th though )=

KellyK
09-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Well, that goes without sayin, Hild...It wouldnt be the same withoutcha! :heart:

Mosaic is in downtown DesPlaines.

VickiIL
09-21-2005, 05:42 PM
So I guess the 29th is out for Hilde...

What about the 22nd?

KellyK
09-21-2005, 05:44 PM
That's 2 days BEFORE my Bday...have to check with DH.

VickiIL
09-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Well then we will have to throw a knitting birthday party in your honor! Can you think of a better party!

KellyK
09-21-2005, 08:31 PM
:heart: :cheering: OMG that would make me SO HAPPPEEEEEEEEEEE! :cheering: :heart:

Vendie
09-21-2005, 09:42 PM
That's 2 days BEFORE my Bday...have to check with DH.

You're really throwing that birthday thing around, Kelly... :rollseyes:

BTW, your b-day is the day after my mom's.

Ingrid
09-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Yessiree, her birthday is sure coming swiftly, isn't it funny how quickly birthdays come around and around. I bet you'll have a ball and wind up using lots of yarn.

Vendie
09-21-2005, 10:09 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

KellyK
09-21-2005, 10:14 PM
BTW, your b-day is the day after my mom's.
*Quietly hoping FGs mom doesnt get the swift Im supposed to get*

Ingrid, dahlin...you are just a HOOT. :roflhard:

Ingrid
09-21-2005, 10:26 PM
FG's Mom--"Oh honey, it's lovely! How thoughtful!"

*What the hell is this thing!?

"Thank you dear. :inlove:"

Is is some kind of joke umbrella? Hmph. Wait until Christmas! grumble grumble. . . .

Vendie
09-21-2005, 10:34 PM
hey, my mom knits, you never know...

actually, it would wind up being a cat toy in her house i'm sure! everything else does!

that reminds me, i probably oughta start thinking about mommy's present!

KellyK
09-22-2005, 12:16 AM
just make sure there's enough Nifty Swifts left for ME! :(

DotMom61
09-27-2005, 02:16 AM
All, righty then.

Have we decided on a date & location for our next gathering? I have the 29th tentatively blocked out on my calendar, but it looks like that might not work out for everybody. The 22nd has now been filled up, I think, unless I can find someone to entertain DD for the day. (Hubby & DS are going on a Boy Scout campout)

Anyway, I *really* want to get together again!!! I guess you could all just come here on the 22nd, and we could cook out and knit alllllll weekend long. :-D

Vendie
09-27-2005, 07:12 AM
I REALLY wished I lived closer to Chicago :inlove:

KellyK
09-27-2005, 07:23 AM
FG - just stick yer butt in the car! It only a 3-hour drive! Besides...I dont believe Ive seen any other Indy-area knitters.....WE are your group!

Should we maybe hold off til the first weekend in November? :(

kimmie
09-27-2005, 07:32 AM
I have to work on the 22nd. Of course, if everyone wanted to come to my library and check out our fine selection of knitting books, then I could see you! Now doesn't THAT sound more fun than some yarn shop???
kimmie

KellyK
09-27-2005, 07:37 AM
Where is your library? Is it NEAR a yarn shop?? :mrgreen:

DotMom61
09-27-2005, 09:20 AM
I have to work on the 22nd. Of course, if everyone wanted to come to my library and check out our fine selection of knitting books, then I could see you! Now doesn't THAT sound more fun than some yarn shop???
kimmie

You work at the LIBRARY??? You are my friend!!! I love the library, and yes, I do think it's more fun than the LYS ... sometimes. If only we could get them to stock yarn.

Which library? We are up in your area now & then visiting DS's prosthetist ... remember? Perhaps we could stop in and "check you out" sometime! :roflhard:

Oh, and just to throw things a little OT: I talked to the prosthetist about your son. (I bet you thought I forgot.) He said he'd be happy to talk w/ him about the profession. He's a really nice guy, and he has several young people working there as sort of interns.

DotMom61
09-27-2005, 09:22 AM

Oh, I almost forgot .. the 1st weekend in Nov is out for me. It follows a 5-day stay @ Hotel Loyola. Ugh.

KellyK
09-27-2005, 09:41 AM
If you need a break during that 5 days, let me know, Jul!! :thumbsup: Im only 5 minutes away! Ill come pick you up for a quick lunch & LYS tour!

DotMom61
09-27-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks, Kelly! I thought about that the last time we were in for that long, but it just didn't work out. I would like to visit your LYS!! We'll see if we can arrange it this time! If everything goes as planned, this will be his *last* hospital visit for chemo. (About 12 weeks to go, overall)

Vendie
09-27-2005, 11:10 AM
FG - just stick yer butt in the car! It only a 3-hour drive! Besides...I dont believe Ive seen any other Indy-area knitters.....WE are your group!

If you DID wait until November, then I could probably come! Turns out my MIL isn't coming to visit afterall, so the only thing I've got going on in October is the spinning class...Actually, I guess I could come in October too :thinking:

kimmie
09-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Most unfortunately, there is no LYS in my town...unless you count Dollar General - ha. I do love my library but I know it doesn't have quite the same appeal for a gathering of knitters that a LYS does.

Julie - I'll send you an email.

DotMom61
09-27-2005, 02:44 PM
No LYS? :( How far do you have to drive?

(I'll keep an eye on my inbox. ;-) )

kimmie
09-27-2005, 02:52 PM
There are a few LYS within driving distance. Long Grove and Lake Forest each have one. Hannah's in Antioch has all kinds of craft supplies, including NICE yarns. There are Hobby Lobbys and Michael's around, but I guess I don't think of them as LYS, but maybe I should!
kimmie

Andrea
09-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi fellow Illinoisans!

Thought I'd check in here since I just registered on here the other day. I'm interested in a get together too...days are bad for me though because I work 7-3 and I have different days off every week.

I live in Crystal Lake. We have a YS here, plus I'm near Woodstock that has a YS too. The Crystal Lake one (Sunflower Samplings) has no space to sit and knit, but has A LOT of yarn. The Woodstock (Quietly Wild) has less yarn, but space to knit.

Just throwing in some options for the FAR NW 'burbs.

Andrea

Vendie
09-28-2005, 07:23 PM
So HEY what's going on?! Kelly got me all into the idea of coming up that way for a get together!!! We need to get a weekend figured out!

VickiIL
09-28-2005, 07:29 PM
I can't do the first weekend in November. Every first Saturday I am at church.

What about the second weekend in November (the 12 th, I think?)

We may just have to pick some dates a Majority rules at this point. (Although it would be so sad to see anyone left out :( )

KellyK
09-28-2005, 08:03 PM
November 12 I have a Board meeting. :(

How many of us were able to make Oct 29??

Vendie
09-28-2005, 08:04 PM
I should be able to! :happydance:

Can I crash with someone? It's a bit too long of a drive for a day trip...

VickiIL
09-28-2005, 08:28 PM
I can make it on the 29th.

And I have a spare bed room Fiber girl...where are you coming from? And as far as that goes...Did we decide on a spot? I know Mosaic was thrown out as well as some where in long grove.

KellyK
09-28-2005, 09:14 PM
I can call Mosaic, but I think someone should call Long Grove's LYS, too...I remember them saying that they would appreciate yarn for any projects being worked on in their store to be purchased in their store....I dont think we'll get the same SWEET deal there that Kool Knits gave us. Are we just spoiled, or what?? :lol:

VickiIL
09-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Who said we had to buy their yarn? Mosaic? That is just bad business! I will most likely buy yarn anywhere I go. However I doubt that is what I wil be working on. (I have too much going to start anything new!) Also I have to say I am not please at being forced to buy yarn! and then forced to start working on that project. I would understand a couple bucks for a workshop fee or something.

Who is in Long Grove? (I'm not even sure where that is.)

We could also go back to Kool Knits. There is also Fringe www.fringknitting.com in Naperville. I am sure they would be open to a group....They don't have a separate room like at Kool Knits. I could check with them if anyone is interested in going there.

Vendie
09-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the room offer Vicki! I had posted that, and then reminded myself, hey no one really knows me, that's kinda a weird thing to ask! So thanks for not thinking that I'm a weirdo ;)

I'll be coming from the Indianapolis area -- so really wherever you gals want to go, just send me directions!! I'll be there with bells on!

:happydance:

KellyK
09-29-2005, 12:00 AM
WHOO! Vicki's on a rampage!! :roflhard: Let me call and VERIFY what I think I heard.... It doesnt make sense that one yarn shop would have a policy that is SO different...you are right...its bad business. If I was right about that, it would really be a shame because its a VERY cool store! Had a GREAT vibe!

DotMom61
09-29-2005, 12:56 AM
I have the 29th blocked out on our calendar. So far, so good for me.

Long Grove is north (and slightly west) of Chicago and not too terribly far from Gurnee.

I should also mention that we have a pretty cool shop in Geneva called Wool & Co. (Hildie & Kelly, and I think the other Julie have been there). They have classes on the weekend, but I also think they have a room in the back. I could check w/ them to see if they could accomodate a med-sized group. Geneva is a really neat town w/ lots of antique shops & other boutiques.

KellyK
09-29-2005, 07:51 AM
YAYY! Check them out, too! I say we go anywhere there's a DISCOUNT!!!!

ANNNNND...does anyone want to GUESS who's coming to visit me at WORK today??? :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Andrea
09-29-2005, 05:37 PM
I am penciling in the 29th. The hubby will be coming home from out of state that day, but he thinks it's "cute" that I want to go to a knit together!

:D

Anywhere is good for me!

kimmie
09-29-2005, 07:43 PM
I am almost sure that I can come on the 29th. I'll double check that with my husband though.
kimmie

Vendie
09-29-2005, 08:19 PM
YAYY! Check them out, too! I say we go anywhere there's a DISCOUNT!!!!

ANNNNND...does anyone want to GUESS who's coming to visit me at WORK today??? :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Who visited you at work today Kelly?? Was it my uncle??

KellyK
09-29-2005, 10:22 PM
NO!! JULIE (dotmom) came to visit me at work today!!! :cheering:

We had SUCH a nice time! We had to reschedule the activity that her DS & DD were going to do with my residents, so instead they helped make a scarecrow for a contest tomorrow. Then we went for ice cream (Ill let HER tell you about the flavors!) and then to my house to meet the POOCHES!

Julie's kids are FANTASTIC...SO smart and funny and GREAT! Was nice to meet her family! :heart:

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Oh, I'm like all blushy here. :oops:

(Kelly forgot to mention the part about my dear children arguing and picking on me.)

They had a *great* time at Kelly's office. Oooo ... wait! I have to run downstairs and get my cell phone so I can show you a really bad picture of the scarecrow we put together. BRB ...

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 12:21 AM
OK ... Here he is:
http://static.flickr.com/31/47907687_71431b80f0_o.jpg

Stunning, isn't he? Kelly and her co-worker did a fabulous job of shopping for all the supplies, he truly fits his name: Tony the Italian Stallion.

Oh, and the ICE CREAM! We went to this fabulous Mexican ice cream shop, and they had the most bizzare flavors. We challenged the kids to try something they would never dream of trying, and they were both pretty adventurous. Here are some flavors we tried out: avocado, corn bread, tequila (yum!), parmesan cheese, cottage cheese (although it had a Spanish name I don't remember), and sweet potato.

They had other flavors that were a little more ordinary, too. It was simply delicious and very light. We all really enjoyed it.

Kelly is such a wonderful hostess, and we had such a nice visit. We got to meet the birdies, Sophie, Maddie, and the ever-famous HOWIE! Now, I have to be honest and say that I have never been fond of chihuahuas, but that Howie is much more than just a chihuahua. He's an old soul in dog clothes.

My kids are not used to being around dogs all that much due to allergies in the family, but they really, REALLY loved Howie! As a matter of fact, when they went to bed tonight their "thank you's" after prayers were for a great afternoon with Kelly and for HOWIE. :rofling:

Thanks, KK. It was really nice visiting with you, and perhaps next time we can join your "elderly friends" in their activity. ;-)

KellyK
09-30-2005, 07:35 AM
As a matter of fact, when they went to bed tonight their "thank you's" after prayers were for a great afternoon with Kelly and for HOWIE. :rofling:
OMG that is SO sweet! :oops: I hope that Miss DD was also thankful for all that FRESH AIR?? :rofling:

I didnt even notice the arguing....in fact, I sensed a really nice closeness between your two. They really are good little people! And, the picking on you....that just proves their senses of humor. Now, stop worrying about what other people think of them...you are a GREAT mom and you have GREAT kids! :lol:

That is SUCH A great picture of TOny!! Ill have to post pics from the contest on my blog....wait until your see his BUXOM girlfriend, Lola!! :rollseyes: Like I told you, Jul....I cant get away from the subject of boobs... Please tell all the kind folks on KH how it's NOT MY FAULT!! Boobs just FOLLOW me around!! :roflhard:

And, YES....next time. You just let me know when. There is ALWAYS something fun going on.

VickiIL
09-30-2005, 08:42 AM
What fun! I am so glad you guys had such a great time together. Tony looks fabulous!

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 09:00 AM
{placing my right hand on my notebook computer}

I solemnly swear that Kelly did not once mention boobs in my presence except to explain to a co-worker that it wasn't her fault. And just as solemnly, I swear that her boobs did not jump up and down, speak out of turn, or otherwise make themselves a nuisance while we were in her presence. I hardly even noticed they were there. Howie never mentioned them, either.

KellyK
09-30-2005, 09:03 AM
They tend to behave themselves in public. :roflhard:

Licensed2Cook
09-30-2005, 09:22 AM
OMG you ladies are hilarious! Please post where you will finally get together, if I can, I will follow you anywhere :thinking:

BTW the policy that you mentioned regarding gathering and working on yarn purchased from the shop you are meeting in is fairly common, although no one is going to rifle through your knitting bag to verify. I think the main thought behind this is that a LYS would prefer that you are using yarns sold in their shops and not something that is exclusively sold through major craft stores aka their competition not to mention internet sales.

This has long been a problem for the LYS because a knitter needing help with her project will most likely not be able to get that help from the craft store where she bought yarn so she heads for the competition the LYS where she knows that she can get help because everyone there knows how to knit and tries to get "free" help with a project that brought in absolutely no revenue for them. It's a really tough spot for a LYS owner.

suziehomemaker
09-30-2005, 09:47 AM
I solemnly swear that Kelly did not once mention boobs in my presence except to explain to a co-worker that it wasn't her fault. And just as solemnly, I swear that her boobs did not jump up and down, speak out of turn, or otherwise make themselves a nuisance while we were in her presence. I hardly even noticed they were there. Howie never mentioned them, either

KellyK
09-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Oh, I understand that, Dee. Kool Knits, however, was welcoming and even offered the group an extra discount. I actually drive all the way back out there from Berwyn a couple times after our meetup...they know how to create loyal customers!

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 10:09 AM
{trying, once again, to steer the conversation away from Kelly's brestage}

So, do you all want me to check with Wool & Co., or do we want to do the Long Grove area this time?? I think that MaryB and Kimmie were really looking forward to the Long Grove field trip, and we could do Wool & Co. another time.

Opinions, please?

Also, it's sounding like quite a few people can make 10/29.

Here's who I *think* said they can make 10/29:

Me
Andrea
Kimmie
Vicki (?)
FiberGirl (?)
Kelly
Dee
MaryB (?)

And, Hildie ... are you listening? I know you're working the Halloween dance @ school that night, but if we met early enough, could you join us for a little while on the 29th?? (Kelly, can you call her to see what's up for that day?)

Anyone I forgot to put on the list?

suziehomemaker
09-30-2005, 10:11 AM
I might be able to go depending on how far the drive is for me and how I'm feeling that day. (I don't mean to be wishy washy)

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 10:12 AM
I solemnly swear that Kelly did not once mention boobs in my presence except to explain to a co-worker that it wasn't her fault. And just as solemnly, I swear that her boobs did not jump up and down, speak out of turn, or otherwise make themselves a nuisance while we were in her presence. I hardly even noticed they were there. Howie never mentioned them, either

Suze? Are we having a little trouble with this message here? I see you've edited it 4 times now. (hee hee ... :rofling: ... hee hee)

Sorry ... I just happened to notice one of my posts sitting there with your avatar on it, and I went, "Huh?" It was really weird. Anyway, I'm sure you'll get it all straigthened out. :roflhard:

suziehomemaker
09-30-2005, 10:25 AM
I can never figure out the quote thing! This time I was determined to get it right because I didn't want Dee to think I was laughing at her post.

I'd really like to go to the next outing and maybe I should es-plain (think Ricky Ricardo).

DH and I are happy to say I'm pregnant with our first. I know that you're supposed to wait until 3 months to tell people but who cares. I'm due in mid-May (I think) and we're very excited/overwhelmed/scared/anxious/etc. I've been feeling ok lately but it seems to be different every day.

The hardest part of this whole thing is that I have absolutely no energy to knit! Just think of all of the free patterns out there just waiting for me!

Sorry to hijack the topic but I thought I'd share . . .

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 10:48 AM
:balloons: Whoopeee!!!! Congratulations! :balloons:

KellyK
09-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Yeah....lets try Long Grove this time...its been on the drawing board the longest!!

Suz....Im SO SO SOOO HAPPY for ya!

suziehomemaker
09-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Long Grove is about 40 miles from me. I'll get DH to drive me and have him scope out the local tool shops while I'm there!

Andrea
09-30-2005, 02:12 PM
What is the name of the YS in Long Grove?

kimmie
09-30-2005, 03:28 PM
I'm pretty sure it's called "I'd Rather Be Knitting" but I'm not 100% sure. We should call them to make sure they are friendly and receptive to us being there. Long Grove is a really great place to be though - very, very cute with lots of great shops.
kimmie

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 05:35 PM
Here's (http://www.ratherbeknitting.com/) their web site. Would you all like me to call them? Is the 29th going to work?

Andrea
09-30-2005, 05:42 PM
That looks so cute...I think I've been inside it when it was a different store. I love Long Grove, it's sooooooooooo purty!

VickiIL
09-30-2005, 06:42 PM
:balloons: :cheering: Horray Suzie!!!!!!! I am so happy for you. (And I never waited three months to tell anyone!)

I am on for the 29th. I am not sure how far long grove is for me. Joliet/Plainfield area...anyone have an idea?

Licensed2Cook
09-30-2005, 07:08 PM
I can never figure out the quote thing! This time I was determined to get it right because I didn't want Dee to think I was laughing at her post.

Huh, why would I ever think that? You really do have some splaining to do ;)

Congrats! Perhaps now I finally have someone to make baby booties for! :cheering:

Licensed2Cook
09-30-2005, 07:10 PM
I am on for the 29th. I am not sure how far long grove is for me. Joliet/Plainfield area...anyone have an idea?

I think for me coming from Naperville it'd be about an hourish.

Licensed2Cook
09-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Oh and by the way, if you are not on Kool Knits Diva mailing list you should sign up ASAP because she is soooo generous with her discounts and the email customers get extras that the US mail ladies don't. The last one was a whopping 40% off a book. That's pretty decent IMHO. There's also the birthday club discount etc...

What are you still here??? Go right now and sign up!!!!!

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 07:19 PM

Vicki --

Long Grove is about 50 miles North and slightly East of you. (see following map :-D)

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Oh and by the way, if you are not on Kool Knits Diva mailing list you should sign up ASAP because she is soooo generous with her discounts and the email customers get extras that the US mail ladies don't. The last one was a whopping 40% off a book. That's pretty decent IMHO. There's also the birthday club discount etc...

What are you still here??? Go right now and sign up!!!!!

Thanks, Dee!! I'm Off ... {whoosh}

Vendie
10-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Have we definitely determined a location yet?? The reason I ask, and I really don't mean to be a pain :oops: , is that I'll be coming in from Indianapolis, so I'm already looking at a 3-4hour drive (since I'm on the south end) just to get to the Chicago area. If we plan on meeting on the North Side of Chicago, I'm not sure I'll be able to make it. So I thought if we weren't tied to a location yet, maybe we could look into something a little closer (south, or even west)?

KellyK
10-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Jul....did you happen to call the Long Grove LYS yet?

We're gettin' close to the date, ya know!!

kemp
10-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Have we definitely determined a location yet?? The reason I ask, and I really don't mean to be a pain :oops: , is that I'll be coming in from Indianapolis, so I'm already looking at a 3-4hour drive (since I'm on the south end) just to get to the Chicago area. If we plan on meeting on the North Side of Chicago, I'm not sure I'll be able to make it. So I thought if we weren't tied to a location yet, maybe we could look into something a little closer (south, or even west)?

I'm wondering...if I decide to go, I could pick you up in Indy on the way...or I wonder if there are any good cheap flights now that gas is so expensive???

suziehomemaker
10-05-2005, 06:27 PM
I think they might have an Amtrak service that might be cheap. You could knit the whole way with no security to give you problems!

Vendie
10-06-2005, 07:31 AM
I don't know about the AmTrack, the only station in Indiana that I know of is way up north.

Yeah sure Kemp, if you want to drive over 74 runs right into Indy - I would only be a little out of the way for you, but I don't think too much. I had thought about flying too, but then, I thought, heck that would probably take longer than driving. I wish AmTrack went through here , that sounds like a great idea!

KellyK
10-06-2005, 07:57 AM
You should drive up the night before and stay with one of us!!

Hildie stays with me....just because she lives a bit further out in IL.

I talked to Hild last night, btw....her ability to join us is gonna be determined by (1) when her DH gets his cast off and (B) when they decided to celebrate their 5th anniversary, which will also be determined by (1).

Vendie
10-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Yeah that's always an option too. If we stayed with people the night before, then at least I wouldn't worry about where it was being held... :thinking:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-06-2005, 11:40 PM
HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I declined the Halloween Dance at school; one of the people who totally irks the crap out ofme volunteered to work it, so I am staying away.

Just to clarify, for those of you who don't know the story, DH had foot surgery last week, and he has a big ole fat spiderman red cast and is on crutches (which is already giving him some SUPER guns!). Out 5th anniversary is on the 21st; if he will still have the cast on the 29th, then we'll celebrate our anniversary on the weekend of our anniversary... BUT, if he will have the cast OFF by the 29th, we're going top wait until then to celebrate. But if so many people are comning on the 29th I feel an urgent need to go , too!!!!!! We'll know for sure at his next appointment, in 2 weeks.

Long grove is FAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR for me (but not as far as it is for Kempy and FG!)

DotMom61
10-08-2005, 12:46 AM
:shock: Was I supposed to call the Long Grove store????!!! Oh my gosh ... it didn't sink in with me. I will make a note to do so tomorrow.

And Kemp and FiberGirl, are you *really* thinking about coming all that way???? Wow!!!

So, here's a quick roll call so far:

Me
Andrea
Kimmie
Vicki (?)
FiberGirl (?)
Kelly
Dee
MaryB (?)
Suziehomemaker (Angela) (?)
Kemp
Hildie

I put ? next to those I wasn't unsure of. That's a total of 11. Did I miss anyone????

Vendie
10-08-2005, 09:37 AM
I would really enjoy coming up! So I'm thinking as long as I can stay with someone Friday night (maybe Sat depending on how late we're out), then I should be able to come. Maybe Kemp and I can work out some carpooling things too to make the gas prices less painful.

KellyK
10-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Anyone coming from the southwest can meet up at my house & we can carpool from there....

kemp
10-08-2005, 12:01 PM
OMG! The crazy bananas are cracking me up!

I really do want to come, I just haven't talked to DH about it yet...planning to this weekend. This could be quite an adventure. Any others we should pick up along the way???

FiberGirl...we always take 74 then the loop around Indy so it really isn't out of the way at all. Would you want to go Sat. morning or could you leave Friday?

KellyK
10-08-2005, 12:57 PM
This is SOOOOOO exciting!!! I hope Long Grove has ROOM for the KH INVASION!!!! :cheering:

kemp
10-08-2005, 01:03 PM
How far north is Long Grove compared to downtown?

KellyK
10-08-2005, 01:06 PM
I would say just less than an hour.

KellyK
10-08-2005, 01:09 PM
You know, you can fly Southwest from Indy and Cleveland into Midway for 60 bucks round trip right now!

kemp
10-08-2005, 01:10 PM
WOAH...I need to check that. The gas alone almost cost that much.

kemp
10-08-2005, 01:28 PM
So I was just thinking...if I do come all that way for the meeting...it would be a shame to miss other Chicagoland knitting stores. Anyone available for sort of a tour de knit?

KellyK
10-08-2005, 02:28 PM
How long would you plan on staying? There are now THREE lys's within easy driving distance of me.....you know how folks do pub crawls? We could do a YARN CRAWL!!!