PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Noro Kureyon?

Rennagayle
06-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Noro Kureyon

So I don't embarrass myself if I ever have a chance to discuss knitting with it outside of cyberspace, how is it pronounced? :??

Mer
06-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Actually I'm not sure, but while we're on the subject of pronunciation, how do you say skein? Is it "skeen" or "skane?"

Seems like kureyon might just be how it's spelled--kur-ee-on. Maybe?

brendajos
06-21-2005, 01:16 PM
well i generally just call it Noro...but when i say it in my head (ya know when i am reading...the voices don't talk about the yarn :rollseyes: ) it sounds like Cure-eon

don't know that it is right though...which is why i just call it Noro :mrgreen:

brendajos
06-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Actually I'm not sure, but while we're on the subject of pronunciation, how do you say skein? Is it "skeen" or "skane?"

Seems like kureyon might just be how it's spelled--kur-ee-on. Maybe?

yeah i pronounce that "Ball"

Mer
06-21-2005, 01:18 PM
yeah i pronounce that "Ball"

:rofling:

jodstr2
06-21-2005, 01:21 PM
"koo-ray-on". I was told it's name is going after the closest Japanese pronunciation to the english word 'crayon'. you can say crayon, you don't really say the "koo" part.

skeen or skane? I say skane, but always think I've said it wrong.

bubba
06-21-2005, 01:50 PM
It is skane....like reign is rain, etc....

pat.

Mer
06-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks!

Rennagayle
06-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Ah, thanks, Jodi! :D

As to skane/skeen, I've always pronounced it as skane. My sil says skeen, but she mispronounces everything, so I didn't put much stock in her pronunciation. :lol:

yarnpiggy
06-21-2005, 05:46 PM
I, too, say skane. A friend of mine, however, says sky-ne. It drives me nuts for some reason. :rollseyes:

suziehomemaker
06-21-2005, 08:15 PM
I always say "skEEn" but I got that from my MIL. Maybe it's a regional thing "soda" everywhere else except the midwest where it's "pop".

cheesiesmom
06-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Dictionary.com says it's pronounced with a long A sound, a la skane.

But I like "ball," better. Brendajos that's a hoot!!

KellyK
06-21-2005, 11:04 PM
I say skane and ker-ee-yon. And ball.

feministmama
06-21-2005, 11:10 PM
well i generally just call it Noro...
don't know that it is right though...which is why i just call it Noro :mrgreen:

But isn't Noro the name of the company? And then they have different kinds of Yarn so it would be Noro Cure-ee-on, or Noro whatever. If you just say Noro you might not get the right kind of yarn. Or do so many people use Kureyon that everyone knows what they mena when they say Noro? :?? I'm so confused.

feministmama
06-21-2005, 11:11 PM

I just say hand me that yarn thingy. Or ball. Now where the work hank came from , I don't know........

brendajos
06-21-2005, 11:16 PM
well i can tell you what my friend Phin calls his Hank but i am pretty sure that isn't appropriate for this site

:angelgrin:

feministmama
06-23-2005, 01:07 AM
well i can tell you what my friend Phin calls his Hank but i am pretty sure that isn't appropriate for this site

:cheering: :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-23-2005, 01:26 AM
I have an x boyfriend who used to pronounce everything wrong. Examples:

carafe = "care-a-FAY"
gauze pad = "gowdge" pad
fajitas = "fa-GEE-ta-tas"
mattress = 'MAT-ris"
triathlon = "tri-ATHA-lawn"

he also used to say "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes" and "spitting image" instead of "spit and image" which didn't come up too often but still drove me crazy.

my sister in law has her own special pronunciations, for instance "ORrientated" instead of "oriented" and "conversate" instead of "converse" and "new-klee-er" instead of "nuclear" :wall"

then again, while i'm being critical, I can't spell. o weel ges ill go eta woorms.

brendajos
06-23-2005, 03:04 AM
well while we are at it can we discuss people excessively using the word "literally?"

"I literally Laffed my A$$ off!" reeeeeeeally there's a skill i need to pick up!

"i literally fell out of my chair!" umm...stop drinking

"I literally peed my pants!" you can't sit on my furniture!

NO YOU DIDN'T LITERALLY DO THOSE THINGS!!!! hmph!

and while we are at it......break down "irregardless" for me and tell me what the parts of the word mean! double HMPH!

umm....but since i am at that....i must confess....i always say spitting image....i thought that is what everybody said..... :??

and i have picked up the bad habit of Nuke-yoo-Lur while mocking a certain world leader.

KellyK
06-23-2005, 07:41 AM
I have an x boyfriend who used to pronounce everything wrong. Examples:

mattress = 'MAT-ris"

he also used to say "spitting image" instead of "spit and image"
How do YOU say Mattress?? :??
I think it IS "spitting image".

i have picked up the bad habit of Nuke-yoo-Lur while mocking a certain world leader. :angelgrin:
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Rennagayle
06-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Living here in northeast Texas, we regularly hear the english language murdered. In fact, east Texas lingo is a language all it's own. It's a combination of a misuse of words, mispronunciation of words, and alot of downright ignorance. :rollseyes:

Years ago, my dh worked for a local office of an insurance company. The receptionist (there for a hundred years) answered the phone "Murcan NASHnal" (American National). One of dh's fellow salesmen there was always rushed to "take care of bidness" (business).

Mh dh, whose name is Michael, and usually goes by Mike, is regularly called "MACKel, or Mac, said in a nasally tone. He hates that he grew up here, and is mortified when I point out a word he's misused or mispronounced, but he wants me to correct him, as he doesn't wish to sound like a hick. :blush: His sisters don't care. One is constantly telling me how well her higeraniums are doing (hydrangeas), and the other insists on pronouncing the "t" at the end of Merlot. :shock: I love 'em all, anyway. ;)

brendajos
06-23-2005, 12:14 PM
lol...i had a customer calling in at my part time job the other day that kept talking about a Mah-net kitchen cart. :??

"hmm...Mah-net?"
"yeah...can you tell me about it?"
"uuuuh....maybe."
meanwhile i am frantically trying to figure out how to spell that so i can look it up.
gave up...
"do you have an item number?"
he gives it to me and i pull up the kitchen cart he is speaking of.
"Ahh yes...how can i help you with this cart?" (http://www.ekitchenislands.com/cart/shopper.cfm/action=view/key=HMS015)

all the way through the rest of the call i kept saying it correctly and he kept butchering it...oy!

Rennagayle
06-23-2005, 12:26 PM
lol...i had a customer calling in at my part time job the other day that kept talking about a Mah-net kitchen cart. :??

"hmm...Mah-net?"
"yeah...can you tell me about it?"
"uuuuh....maybe."
meanwhile i am frantically trying to figure out how to spell that so i can look it up.
gave up...
"do you have an item number?"
he gives it to me and i pull up the kitchen cart he is speaking of.
"Ahh yes...how can i help you with this cart?" (http://www.ekitchenislands.com/cart/shopper.cfm/action=view/key=HMS015)

all the way through the rest of the call i kept saying it correctly and he kept butchering it...oy!

:roflhard: My sil might set out her MerloT wine on your customer's MoneT kitchen cart! :rofling:

amy
06-23-2005, 04:39 PM
:roflhard: This is all too funny.

I say "skEEn", but according to Merriam-Webster's online pronunciation (www.m-r.com), it is indeed "skane", and they don't even offer skeen as a secondary pronunciation! I looked up the pronunciation of "intarsia" there a while back, and they say it's supposed to be "in-tar-see-uh", not "in-tar-sha" as I say it; but I asked a zillion people, including Meg Swansen!, how they pronounced it, and no one was certain, but "in-tar-sha" was the most common pronunciation! So I'm sticking with it! LOL Maybe I'll change it someday, but I'm not convinced that www.m-r.com was 100% correct.

They do, however, offer 3 pronunciations for nuclear, so I think those are all acceptable. And according to Prase Finder (http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/38/messages/1628.html), the original term is probably "spit and image" but "spitting image," and "splitting image" are later derivatives.

Jodi, thanks for clearing up Kureyon--I always wondered!
:thumbsup:

DH had some wacky pronunciations for things when I met him, which I MADE him change, because I knew if I kept hearing things said wrong, I'd end up saying things wrong myelf! The worst one, which still screws me up, is "supposably" instead of "supposedly". :wall: still stuck in my head, and I have to think before I say that word! Another was he'd say "scald" instead of "scold." And "vewy" instead of "very," don't know where he got that one.

I was an interior design major for over a year before I learned that "facade" was pronounced "fa-sahd". :blush:

Rennagayle
06-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Amy, your facade story reminds me of my "tedious" one. I grew up pronouncing the word as teed-jus. I was with a group of ladies having coffee after church one evening when I used 'teed-jus' in a sentence. One of them asked, "you mean tee-di-us?. My mother, sitting there with us, turned to me and said "Renna, it's actually pronounced 'tee-di-us'. I said, and you're just now telling me this, when our entire family, including you, has been mispronouncing it my entire life??? :shock:

My poor dh grew up with a stepdad who was right up there with Archie Bunker when it came to misusing and mispronouncing words. Not long after we married, his then 15 year old dd got in an argument at the dinner table with my then 14 year old son, over the word "frustrate". My stepdd kept insisting the word was "fustrate", and my ds assured her she was wrong. She wouldn't accept it until she got out the dictionary to prove him wrong and found out she was wrong. She turned to her dad and asked him why they'd been saying "fustrate" all those years. He said that was the way he grew up hearing it. :doh:

jodstr2
06-23-2005, 08:02 PM
you're welcome! :D
but I've gone to stores and some look at me funny when I say 'crayon' :oops:. whatever the general consensus is on the pronunciation is probably best!

kemp
06-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Officially S-CANE...if you go HERE (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=skeins), there is an audio clip.

edit: Oops I see that I am a little slow...Amy already said that. :blush:

I wonder about the regional thing though...I was born in the south and my mom/grandma, etc. always said "SKEEN".

Learn something new everyday!!!

Here it one my friend was telling me about just the other day:

Caller: "Do you have any of those bid it's"
Friend: "Bit it's? I'm not sure what you mean"
Caller: "You know, those toilets that squirt water up your butt"
Friend: :blush: "Oh a bidet (biday)"
Caller: "That's what I said, a bit it!"

My DH and I have also wondered constantly about our favorite soup: Fagoli...once I began studying Italian for our trip, the question was finally settled. We had a waiter at Olive Garden sware to us it was "Fa-jool"! I think especially w/foreign words, Americans just make it into whatever makes sense to us...not necessarily correct :??

punkhippiemom
06-23-2005, 09:38 PM
...got in an argument at the dinner table with my then 14 year old son, over the word "frustrate"...
:rofling:
My DH (whom I adore :inlove: in every way, of course) says "flustrate", like he can't make up his mind if he's flustered or frustrated... Always makes me smile when he says it lol....

Speaking of hank... My 5yo (and now my 2yo, too!) for some reason never said thanks, it was always "Hanks!" Like Tom? :thinking:

As far as the regional thing goes...
When I moved to Florida, I started waitressing. My first day flying solo went something like this-

Me: "Hi folks, how are you today?" (we were encouraged to call people "folks" at a certain 'old country store')
Them: assorted murmurs of fine, thank you, etc.
Me: "Can I offer y'all something to drink?Some coffee, or pop?"
Them: Blank stares. Uncomfortable silence. "Umm, you mean soda?"
:oops:
We got it sorted out, but I now call it soda, and everyone "back home" laughs at me.

I grew up near Detroit, and picked up "eh" from our neighbors to the North, and my husband teased me relentlessly. He was from Philly, though, and I got to make fun of him for "youse guys"...

The worst, though, is when someone says "li-berry" instead of "library" - to me that's like nails on a chalkboard... :shock:

Sara
06-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Even after 15 years, I haven't been able to break DH's word habit. He says "acrost" instead of "across". I won't even go into how many times he will say "umm" in a telephone conversation. And he has a PhD! So it's not intelligence or education, it's just habit/conditioning. :doh:

Now I find that DD is interjecting "like" between every other word. Hopefully, we won't "like" come to "like" blows over it. ;)

Ingrid
06-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Now I find that DD is interjecting "like" between every other word. Hopefully, we won't "like" come to "like" blows over it. ;)

It starts to get physical when the "like" becomes "like, ya know.. " ;)

KellyK
06-23-2005, 11:09 PM
My DH...with his South Side Chicago accent (Im from the North Side) CANNOT say T-H's! I have TREE dogs!

Also, he cant say "finished". Neither can his sister....its "FIN-INCHED"

We shop at the "shtore"

I once made him a grilled cheese sandwich with an overly ample amount of cheese...it was "too thick-a-cheese"

Lucky for him, I find ANY accent charming... :rollseyes:

punkhippiemom
06-24-2005, 09:02 AM
I once made him a grilled cheese sandwich with an overly ample amount of cheese...it was "too thick-a-cheese"

Lucky for him, I find ANY accent charming... :rollseyes:
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

roxyquiksilver34
06-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Just in case anyone was still on the original flow of this thread, Miss Cecila Tanaka of Sendai, Japan has informed me that the true pronunciation of Kureyon sounds like

"koo-dee-yahn"

In Japan, there is no "r" sound so it is soft and silent

BUT

saying it like
"curry-on" is acceptable.. not everyone has the same inflections.

(Cecilia is an avid knitter and a customer of mine - she saw the Noro Iro and Kureyon I was using in my legwarmers and we started talking :XX: )

Get your knit on today!

woot woot!

Roxy