PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Trends Clogs...KellyK...

kemp
06-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Kelly (and others) :)

Now I can see what you mean about the fiber trends clogs being so hugified before felting! :shock: I just started the first one for my DH (the biggest size, of course...the one time I wish he had smaller feet) and I cannot believe how big it is!!!! I know I just need to have faith :) but wow...you weren't kidding about the "clog that ate Cincinnati" !!

MaggieL
06-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Picture?

kemp
06-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Coming to a theatre near you... (soon)

KellyK
06-22-2005, 09:35 PM
I KNOW! Its HYSTERICAL!

You really just have to trust the pattern....all of the sudden it will start looking like a slipper, and you will just felt until it fits!

kemp
06-22-2005, 11:31 PM
The whole time I was doing this I just thought "could this really be right"??? :thinking: I have felted stuff before, but nothing that acually had to fit!

I took the picture with my DH shoe to show how much bigger it is...not as bad as I originally thought. I think it will shrink fine.

brendajos
06-22-2005, 11:43 PM
omg that is about one of the funniest things i have ever seen....lol

kemp
06-22-2005, 11:50 PM
I know! Crazy isn't it? I can't wait to felt it so hopefully it will look more "normal" !

Debbie
06-23-2005, 07:40 AM
I know it has been posted ... but I can't seem to find it! Where can I get the pattern for the Fiber Trend Clogs!

KellyK
06-23-2005, 07:44 AM
That looks right to me!! Wait until you see how nice they felt!! Im ALL excited for you! :cheering:

Deb...check your LYS or online through Fibertrends.com. Its unfortunately not a free pattern. But, its WELL worth it! These things are GENIOUS!

kemp
06-23-2005, 07:48 AM
If you go HERE (http://fibertrends.com/sources/sources1.html) the sources are listed for each state. Mail order sources are also listed and THIS (http://www.fiber2yarn.com/catalog.php?item=864&catid=Fiber%20Trends&ret=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fiber2yarn.com%2Fcatalog.php% 3Fpage%3D3%26category%3DFiber%2520Trends) one sells it online. KK is right...the pattern really is awesome...amazing how it works.

kemp
06-23-2005, 07:51 AM
That looks right to me!! Wait until you see how nice they felt!! Im ALL excited for you! :cheering:

Deb...check your LYS or online through Fibertrends.com. Its unfortunately not a free pattern. But, its WELL worth it! These things are GENIOUS!

YAY! I am glad you think they look about right. Just wondering if I should go ahead and felt the first one before I begin on the second...you know, just to make absolutely sure it is going to fit before I spend another 6 hours on the second one :) Or should I just have blind faith :thinking:

Debbie
06-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Thank you, thank you ... I thought it was a purchase pattern, but just couldn't seem to use the right search words!

KellyK
06-23-2005, 07:53 AM
I vote for blind faith, Kempy dear.... :thumbsup:

kemp
06-23-2005, 07:54 AM
ok...I'm feeling adventurous today...blind faith it is! :shock:

(you realize now if they don't fit, I can totally blame this on you :) )

KellyK
06-23-2005, 07:57 AM
That's FINE. Ill just tell you to keep on felting! I had to wash DH's like 12 times.....keep in mind you may want to make them just the tiniest bit snug...they stretch a tiny bit and form to your feet with wear.

kemp
06-23-2005, 08:02 AM
WOAH...I'm glad you told me. After 5 or so I would have been convinced it was a lost cause.

Holly
06-23-2005, 09:56 AM
:roflhard: Once again you guys made me LOL in my office (when I'm supposed to be working!). That pic of the unfelted clog next to the shoe is hysterical!! :lol:

Holly

kemp
06-26-2005, 02:47 PM
:thinking: Well I hope your right. I finished them today and I am on about the 6th wash cycle now...so far it looks like the only man they will fit is Shaq!

I guess I could always send them to him if I can't get them to fit DH.

KellyK
06-26-2005, 02:55 PM
KEEEEEEP goin! Like I said...Al's took, like 12 washings! I even let them go through the spin cycle in between.....made them easier to try on. I also (*gasp from the felting blasphemy*) put them through the DRYER a couple times!

What size shoe does he wear & what size did you knit?

knitqueen
06-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Is the pattern anything like this free one??
http://people.delphiforums.com/knit_chat/knitchat/patterns/feltedslipper.htm

KellyK
06-26-2005, 06:09 PM
A bit, but not exactly....the fiber trends pattern has a double-thick sole and a contrasting color sole and rim around the ankle, if you wish.

Silver
06-26-2005, 06:25 PM
I can't believe I don't have this pattern yet.

I'm going shopping!

KellyK
06-26-2005, 06:39 PM
You will not regret it, Sil.....it's GENIOUS.

Silver
06-26-2005, 08:17 PM
WOOT! I did it.. I bought the pattern and yarn. I'm making light grey clogs with dark grey soles. :happydance:

KellyK
06-26-2005, 09:31 PM
I hope you didnt buy the yarn called for....the WOTA is SO much cheaper & works VERY well for that pattern! Under 15 bucks for my DH's HUGE feet!

Silver
06-26-2005, 10:29 PM
I don't even know what the recommended yarn is. But I'm not using WOTA. I didn't like the color choices (I reeeeally wish knitpicks would increase the color choices!!) I bought Cascade 220.

KellyK
06-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Yeah...I wouldnt complain with a little more color selection, either.

kemp
06-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Well, on day 2 of felting. I *think* they are continuing to get smaller. Maybe I need to try the dryer trick. Did that seem to help?

DH is 12 1/2, so I made the 13 thinking I would have no problem shrinking them as much as needed :doh:

KellyK
06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Yeah, the dryer did help a bit. AND, you can stick 'em back in the washer to felt 'em some more if you need to after that, too.

Mer
06-27-2005, 11:43 AM
I ordered yarn for these--my first knit picks order! I thought they would make a good b-day present for my dad.

Whenever I've felted things, I've always let them go through the entire cycle. I don't know if that will help at all!

BTW, kemp, I like your blog! I tried to leave you a message but it wouldn't let me register. :(

Nuno930
06-27-2005, 12:17 PM
What do you line them with :?? I think I need to make these for DH as well!

MaryB
06-27-2005, 12:20 PM
I don't line them. They are very soft and comfy after the felting.

Silver
06-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Kemp....
Just out of curiosity, are you putting something else in the wash to help agitate them and speed the felting process? Like an old pair of jeans or two? (Actually I find they don't have to be old, it doesn't harm them other than get them really really clean. LOL) Remember not to use towels or anything that will add lint.. that stuff gets stuck in the felt and will never come out.

Ugh.. all this talk is making me reeeeally anxious to get my pattern and yarn. I can't wait to make them!! :XX:

kimmie
06-27-2005, 01:03 PM
When I felt something, I put it in a pillowcase & tie the end shut. Then I throw in a couple pairs of jeans or towels. I don't worry about lint because of the pillowcase. You need as much agitation as you can get. The pillow case helps keep your knit item scrunched up with also provides agitation. If you have a small load, use a small amount of water. Follow the hot water with a cold rinse. Repeat. Repeat.
:) kimmie

KellyK
06-27-2005, 03:33 PM
:thumbsup: What they all said.

Nuno930
06-27-2005, 03:42 PM
well what is that gray liner lookin' think in Kemp's :?? That is what prompted the asking...

MaryB
06-27-2005, 03:47 PM
I think that she stuffed them with paper or plastic to give us a better picture of just how big they are before felting.

Nuno930
06-27-2005, 03:47 PM
I think that she stuffed them with paper or plastic to give us a better picture of just how big they are before felting.
ahhhhhhh! Got ya.

kemp
06-27-2005, 03:53 PM
:roflhard: KK, you are too funny...I love that "ellen" fish.

Mer...thanks for looking. Rather boring right now (I have been more focused on the design than the posts!), but it has been fun doing a webpage again and getting into the coding stuff. Not sure about the registering thing. I am sure it is something I have done wrong :doh:

I'll let you know when I figure it out.

kemp
06-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Mer...did you get this (http://www.divaknitting.com/blog/wp-register.php) page when trying to register? Trying to figure out what went wrong.

Silver
06-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Kemp, your username will be "admin" and your password will be the 6 digit number you got when installing your blog. You shouldn't have to register. That's only for other people you want to allow to post on your blog. :)

kemp
06-27-2005, 04:17 PM
Mine is fine...Mer said she tried to register and it wouldn't let her login. Just trying to figure out why.

Silver
06-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Ahh ok.

kemp
06-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Any ideas why it wouldn't work for her? :thinking: I was just testing the registration page and it let me register as a new user...not sure what else to try.

Silver
06-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Do you have the option set to allow anyone to register?

Silver
06-27-2005, 04:59 PM
I was just looking around my own control panel. If all else fails, you can manually add her. Go to your control panel, then Users, then Authors & Users.

kemp
06-27-2005, 05:12 PM
:thinking: I think I have it set for anyone to register...I was just looking at the dashboard though and didn't find that option. Mer did say she was at work though, so maybe it is a corprate firewall issue.

Could you try to register just to see if it works on someone else's computer? You don't ever even have to read it and I'll delete you afterwards if you want :)

Thanks for all your help. I have been having a lot of fun with this WordPress program!

Silver
06-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Nope. I'm getting the 412 Preconditioned Failed page.

Go to your Dashboard, then to Options. There's an option about halfway down the page for "Membership". Make sure "anyone can register" is checked. :)

Mer
06-27-2005, 05:25 PM
:thinking: I think I have it set for anyone to register...I was just looking at the dashboard though and didn't find that option. Mer did say she was at work though, so maybe it is a corprate firewall issue.

Could you try to register just to see if it works on someone else's computer? You don't ever even have to read it and I'll delete you afterwards if you want :)

Thanks for all your help. I have been having a lot of fun with this WordPress program!
Well, I highly doubt my work system is sophisticated enough to be blocking me--I have somehow ended up as the IT person and I know very little about computers, if that says anything! But I'll try it at home tonight, kemp.

Mer
06-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Oh, yeah, i got the same thing silver did.

kemp
06-27-2005, 05:33 PM
yep, that box was already checked. :thinking: I'll do a search at wordpress.org on that error message. If you think of anything else it could be, please let me know.

Silver
06-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Hmmm.. I don't know. That error page even says if all else fails, use Firefox. Which I do. Weird. :thinking:

Did you try manually adding her?

kemp
06-27-2005, 05:56 PM
I had no trouble adding a dummy user via the initial form. I have searched the support section at wordpress and someone mentioned the bad_behavior plugin (which I have and is enabled) may be the culprit. I have deactivated it so if you feel like trying again to see if you get the same error???

PS Should we delete all these posts since they're not really knitting related?

Mer
06-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Success! :cheering:

kemp
06-27-2005, 06:26 PM
woohoo! :happydance: Sometimes this stuff it so hit or miss! I'm glad it wasn't some random piece of code that I would have to **try** to find. Thanks to you and silver for letting me know about the error and for testing it too :)

KellyK
06-27-2005, 09:20 PM
Silver....you know SO much STUFF! How has your brain not exploded by now?

MaryB
06-27-2005, 10:07 PM
OK, now back to the original question-----how are the clogs doing? Inquiring minds want to know!

Silver
06-28-2005, 12:54 AM
Silver....you know SO much STUFF! How has your brain not exploded by now?
HA! Who says it hasn't? Let's just say it's an organized clutter in there.

You're welcome Kemp! Glad you got it worked out. :)

kemp
06-28-2005, 09:29 AM
ok mary, back to the clogs. They are still a little too big. DH wore them last night and said he liked them the way they are (what a sweetie :inlove: ) but I am still going to try to wash/dry them a couple more times.

VictoiseC
06-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Oh yuk! I saw Kelly's clogs ages ago and now that I see this picture (HILARIOUS) I want to make them but I can't find Kelly's original posting of her picture and the pattern. (oh yeah, you have to buy the pattern right?)

You guys are talking about Wool of the Andes correct?

Could someone point me in the direction of Kelly's original picture?
And how's the felting coming along Kemp?

kemp
06-28-2005, 01:03 PM
If you go to page 1 on this thread about halfwary down you will find the clog links for the pattern.

I haven't started washing them yet again today. They are at least wearable now, but I'd like to get them more snug.

MaryB
06-28-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm on pins and needles ( knitting needles, of course). Can't wait to see the finished product.
I have made several pairs of these clogs using both WOTA and Cascade 220. In both cases these yarns felted in 1-2 cycles. I'm trying to figure out the difference between Kelly's, yours and mine. Well, anyway, I'm sure your husband will love them, mine sure does.

KellyK
06-28-2005, 01:43 PM
I wonder if the difference might be the ratio between DH foot size and which pattern size we chose to knit. I knit the largest available, and Kemp did, too. How about you, Mary?

Here is where my Fiber Trends Saga begins in my Blog. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1026&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fiber+trends+clogs&start=270)

And, I purchased the pattern from my LYS.

MaryB
06-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Ok, I don't give this information to just anyone ----I wear a 9.5 so I did the women's large. My husband wears a 10.5, therefore, his was a men's medium. Just to be sure, we are all talking double strand on size 13 needles?!?! Right?

kemp
06-28-2005, 02:08 PM
yep, that's what I did. Mine felted fine...they just don't seem to be shrinking enough! I'll post a pic soon. It *could* be the uber cheap ebay wool yarn that I used :(

knitqueen
06-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Would someone who has the pattern mind sharing how much yarn is called for to make a ladies shoe size 9??? I am going to check at my LYS if they sell this pattern (I'm sure they do sell Fiber Trends patterns) IF I ever get there :rollseyes: but am trying to decide if I would order from knitpicks and suck up the shipping costs (in Canada, the free shipping over $30 deal doesn't count :verysad: ) or just buy wool locally, though the selection isn't nearly as great.

Silver
06-29-2005, 01:57 PM
My yarn and pattern came today! :cheering: I'm going to finish my afghan first, then I'll work on these clogs. I'm so excited!! :)

knitqueen, Sizes are womens size 6, (8, 10). Yardage: 550 (600, 650). If you want to make them in two colors, 1/3rd of the yardage is for the upper color, and 2/3rds for the sole and cuff. :)

MaryB
06-29-2005, 02:22 PM
KnitQueen--I used KnitPicks WOTA, 4 skeins for the sole and trim and 2 skeins for the top color. This was for the woman's large. I wear a 9.5 and they fit perfectly. Love them!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

knitqueen
06-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks Silver & MaryB!! :thumbsup: Exactly what I wanted to know!

kemp
06-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Here they are. I never did get around to trying to wash them again. Maybe today. Anyway, DH says they are totally wearable so I guess I won't worry too much.

Never believed there could be a limit to how much wool shrunk...my DH accidentally washed one of my wool sweaters before and when it came out it was between barbie doll and newborn size! Needless to say, it shrunk a lot!

VictoiseC
06-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Kemp! Those are darling! You dh must be sweet to wear PINK?

They are so happy to have these things they don't care how BIG they are.. My dh won't take his big green socks off, when I first made them they were too toohuge but he kept saying 'They're FINE! I LOVE THEM!" I did shrink them down a tiny bit though.

Can't wait to make these. I'm holding out on buying the pattern coz I have so many books I bought but I think I need that pattern. Did you buy it?

good work :thumbsup:

kemp
06-30-2005, 12:09 PM
yep, it is a purchase pattern, but it is really cool the way the shaping/sizing is done.

The color in person is actually red (although he would probably still wear them even if they were pink!). Like the Bearcats (http://www.ucbearcats.com/)colors.

VictoiseC
06-30-2005, 12:23 PM
I had a feeling they were red after I posted and looked again!

Bearcats???? duh, sounds sports related, my least favorite pastime

Maybe I'll buy that pattern today.

amp926
06-30-2005, 01:36 PM
what size needles do you need for them? I think I might also give them a try!

knitqueen
06-30-2005, 04:36 PM
what size needles do you need for them? I think I might also give them a try!

...and are they double pointed or single pointed (ie. knit in the round or not??)

I know I know, go get the pattern already...... :rollseyes:

Oh, which reminds me, I WAS checking on-line today at places that sell the pattern as a mail order thing....the pattern was $5 and the shipping was over $6!!!!!!! :shock: For a pattern????!!!!!! Couldn't it just be thrown in an envelope?? Sheesh.

Here's hoping my LYS has the pattern. :pray:

amp926
06-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Knitqueen you make a good point...

:thinking: Does anyone know if they are done on circs or dpns.... (I HATE :devil: dpns so far!!!!)

Mer
06-30-2005, 10:34 PM
knitqueen & amp926, they call for size 13 circulars (24") but it also gives directions for converting it to straight needles. Hmm, so many people doing these! We should have a knitalong! Though I won't be able to start mine for a few weeks. :(

KellyK
06-30-2005, 11:47 PM
THEY LOOK GREEEEEAAAAATTTTT!!!!!! :happydance:

kemp
07-01-2005, 08:22 AM
I think a knit along is a great idea! I don't think I'm ready to do another pair just yet though. What about for August or September? That way by the time we are done, we'll have toasty toes going into fall.

kemp
07-01-2005, 08:25 AM
THEY LOOK GREEEEEAAAAATTTTT!!!!!! :happydance:Thanks KK. You are always a great cheerleader! (despite what your high scool picture might indicate :devil: )

Kidding, of course (about the HS thing, I actually think that picutre is awsome)...not sure if I can get away with as much as Hilde.

Mer
07-01-2005, 08:29 AM
A knitalong in Aug or Sep would be good for me--I plan to make a few as Christmas presents!

kemp
07-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Hope the presents are mostly for women...it'll go much quicker!

KellyK
07-01-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks KK. You are always a great cheerleader! (despite what your high scool picture might indicate :devil: )

Kidding, of course (about the HS thing, I actually think that picutre is awsome)...not sure if I can get away with as much as Hilde.

:roflhard: You'd better ask Hildie about that, Kempy...she gets JEALOUS. :roflhard:

I am making a whole BUNCH for Christmas.... I have to go purchase the childrens' sized pattern. Those should knit up NICE and fast!

I swear, I should buy STOCK in WOTA! :rollseyes:

Im going to give them to everyone UNfelted, and make them come over so I can give them custom-fits! I can't wait to see the looks on the faces of my family members who dont know about these slippers! :shock:

kemp
07-01-2005, 08:48 AM
OMG! I :heart: :heart: :heart: the idea of giving them to them unfelted! You better have a camera ready when they are opening them...only one chance to capture that priceless look :roflhard:

Ingrid
07-01-2005, 09:16 AM
OMG! I :heart: :heart: :heart: the idea of giving them to them unfelted! You better have a camera ready when they are opening them...only one chance to capture that priceless look :roflhard:

That IS funny! They'll think your the worst knitter on earth! :roflhard:

KellyK
07-01-2005, 09:41 AM
When I showed DH the first one I finished knitting, I told him it was a sleeping bag for Howie....he almost believed me! :roflhard:

Silver
07-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Well, I did it. I made the clogs. :happydance: They ARE quick to knit. I made them in two days. I LOVE them... thanks so much for sharing. I may never have bought the pattern!! :inlove:

I think your felting problems may be due to the yarn... maybe WOTA doesn't felt as easily as we thought? I say this because I used Cascade 220, and they felted in one wash, with about 15 minutes of agitation. Whats up with WOTA?

kemp
07-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Wow...yours look perfect! That size differential between your shoe and the clog looks much more reasonable. I wonder if the largest size is maybe a little larger than 13????

Nuno930
07-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Beauty Mate! I must get this pattern! MUST!

Ingrid
07-05-2005, 02:50 PM
That looks fantastic! As good as my felted clogs from LLBean (without the hard sole, of course). You know what I mean, just perfect!

Silver
07-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Thank you! :) This is, as Kelly called it, a pattern of genius. The double sole, and bumper edging is bloody brilliant!! :thumbsup:

Nuno930
07-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Hmmm I wonder if I lanolize them if they would be ok for outside? :?? I don't mean an 8 hour hike in the woods or anything... but like to the car and back. I mean if it keeps pee in the diaper you would think it could hold up, right?

Ingrid
07-05-2005, 08:33 PM
After seeing Silver's clogs all felted, I ordered the pattern. Definite holiday gifties. Will Cascade 220 work for these? I have a bunch in lots of colors. I've never felted anything intentionally before, so I'll be looking for guidance.

Silver
07-05-2005, 09:22 PM
That's what I used Ingrid. :thumbsup:

Ingrid
07-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Excuse me, I have to go wait by the mailbox now. :happydance:

KellyK
07-06-2005, 08:11 AM
Hmmm I wonder if I lanolize them if they would be ok for outside? :?? I don't mean an 8 hour hike in the woods or anything... but like to the car and back. I mean if it keeps pee in the diaper you would think it could hold up, right?

I got the best advice....use dots (or lines, or paw designs) of fabric paint on the bottom!

Rennagayle
07-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I don't have a LYS, so I've decided to order this pattern (who wouldn't want to, after all this hype? :mrgreen: ). I have a question first, though. Since someone mentioned getting the pattern for child sized, I'm wondering what all sizes are included on the pattern you all used. Does it include sizes for men and women, all on the same pattern? I don't need any child sized patterns, but would like to make them for both men and women, and hopefully will ony need to purchase .one pattern. :D

Silver
07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Yes, the adult pattern includes sizes for men and women. Women's shoe sizes 6, 8, & 10. And Men's 11 & 13. And while felting, you can control the process to get a perfect fit.

Rennagayle
07-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Silver! I'll go ahead and order it. I have a hunch there will be lots of felted clogs at the base of Christmas trees around the country this year ;) , and even a few unfelted ones. :mrgreen: