PDA

View Full Version : Continental or english?

kitkat
06-24-2005, 12:12 PM
When I taught myself, I learned continental...and was doing pretty well with it. Well, I took knitting 101 at LYS, and she made me change to english style....but I really feel like like continental is quicker...but now I am struggling when I try to go back to it! ARGH at inflexible LYS teachers!!!!!

What style do you all use?

jodstr2
06-24-2005, 12:17 PM
both. mostly English but if I notice my right shoulder hurting, I switch. I'm still a bit clumsy at Conti.

Ingrid
06-24-2005, 12:18 PM
I am so decidedly right handed that I can't even try to switch, or use two hands to use two colors. I manage quite well, though, thank you. :D

Silver
06-24-2005, 01:38 PM
I knit both ways. English when I'm watching TV because I can knit blindly, something I can't do Continental. I knit Continental when doing rib, seed or moss stitch because it's so much easier to switch between purl and knit. Other times it's just whichever I feel like.

twiggyann
06-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Continental is the only way I can manipulate the needles and the yarn. I do a lot of things right handed because that's the way I learned them, but for the life of me, I can't knit that way.

Julie
06-24-2005, 03:11 PM
I learned English, and if I'd continued, I would have quit knitting. I credit going Continental with salvaging my knitting career...it is soooooo much easier for me. :D

MaryS
06-24-2005, 03:48 PM
My great-aunt taught me how to knit English years ago, but I later found out she always knit through the back loop and all her stitches were crossed!

I do a lot of Aran knitting and only a little Fair Isle, so I'm usually only dealing with one color yarn at a time.

I'm a lefty, but I learned to knit right handed (which definitely makes following patterns easier). I get some right shoulder pain when I knit a lot (or use a right handed mouse on the computer too much), so maybe I should try knitting Continental.

Any thoughts on this from other left handed knitters?

Mary

KellyK
06-24-2005, 04:29 PM
I am a right-handed knitter, but Ive kinda developed my own personal "throwing" style, anyway. The only time I can knit conti is when Im double-knitting and carrying a yarn in each hand.

MaryB
06-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Mary, I am also a lefty who was taught to knit by a right handed person. I was taught English and it is still what I am most comfortable doing. I decided that I wanted to try Conti and found that knitting felted bags was a great way to practice. I did not have to worry about how even my tension was ----felting hides the uneven stitches. Eventually I got the hang of it and now can use either method.

I agree with you---learning right handed makes following patterns much easier. Special left handed directions just tend to confuse me.

rebecca
06-24-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm am a thrower (English) because i'm self-taught & I couldn't figure out continental .... just no way, no how!!
Now.,...thanks to Amy's cd :notworthy: I am going to learn continental after I finish this project. Yes, I know that the videos are on the website...but...I have been far too busy chatting to bother with checking out the help videos while online. Therefore....I became aware of all that is on the help videos that are offered on this site (AND LOTS MORE :P) since I got my cd. So, after next project, I hope to learn to knit continental, too!! With Amy's help, of course....I can do it...I know that I can!!!
I can knit continental already...just can't get that purl down...but I will now learn!!!! Thank you, Amy :cheering: :cheering:

kitkat
06-24-2005, 05:31 PM
I am left handed....and in many ways (back before the LYS screwed me up)...continental seemed to work better. Maybe I will practice it on my button bag!

aliassak
06-24-2005, 07:28 PM
I taught myself how to knit, and I would get so frustrated at my tension when trying to "throw" the yarn English style. A friend of mine suggested trying conti (since we're both crocheters) and I hadn't even heard of that method. So, I went on a google search, found this place, watched Amy's vids, and viola! I now knit conti at a pretty good pace and my tension is dead on.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-24-2005, 08:46 PM
i knit continental, but I throw my yarn instead of picking. When we had our date, KK pointed out that I knit "wierd, (or maybe it was purl wierd), because I hold the needle between my index and ring fingers of my LH. :P I don't wrap the yarn around my fingers either. okay so I am a wierdo. :shifty:

kemp
06-24-2005, 09:58 PM
I tried both when initially learning, but I thought continental was much easier...I think because I have crocheted all my life, the picking motion seemed much more familiar.

Some of you mentioning right shoulder pain though...I am wondering if I should try the throwing method instead since I just had surgery on my left shoulder (non knitting related!) Mabye that would stress it less?

BinkyKat
06-24-2005, 11:33 PM
I taught myself to knit and I throw, I wanna learn conti. Amy's videos are great, but I just can't do it comfortably yet. :wall: The yarn slips in such a way I have my index finger stuck out so far I get a cramp and I knit too loose. So I will contintue to practice as I do already sense the quicker nature of the method. I'd even like to be able to throw better with more finger action than letting go, but I seem to move along ok I think... :X:

feministmama
06-25-2005, 12:47 AM
My left hand feels very comfortable doing crochet but it feels weird trying to do conti. :?? I have been a thrower for years by using an irregular method. I wold pick up the arn between my thumb and index finger (just like picking up anything with your right hand) and knit that way. I sometimes still do but now I mostly wrap yarn under my right pinky, over my ring finger and under my middle finger then over my index and hold the tension with my index finger moving it along. O once had someone in a knitting circle made me feel bad about "plucking" with my thumb and index finger and said I SHOULD wrap around my pointer and work that way. For a long time I refused becasue of that but now I use over the index finger especially for ribbing and stuff.

Carol_OH
06-25-2005, 09:31 AM
*is it just me or does the abbreviation 'conti' make you think of those grown up people diapers?*
:shock:

:shock:

:rollseyes:

Contiknitter Kelly
06-25-2005, 12:30 PM
My screen name says it all. :XX:

Kelly