PDA

View Full Version : What's in your knitting bag?

Silver
06-26-2005, 03:53 PM
I thought this would be an interesting topic. What kinds of non traditional knitting things do you carry in your bag? Skip the obvious like needles, yarn and your projects. What other things do you consider necessary for your bag, and why do you carry them?

Some things that I carry:

Nail file, clippers, hand lotion and cuticle oil: There's nothing worse than having dry hands, a hangnail, or a split fingernail to catch on your cashmere!

Lip balm: I'm a lip balm addict. I have a tube everywhere. In my truck, my purse, by my desk, and of course, in my knitting bag.

A mini book light with clip and flexible light shaft: When riding in the car at night, I clip it to my seatbelt so I can knit in the dark. I can also clip it right to my shirt and aim it at my knitting. It's small so the light doesn't distract the driver even if I'm in the front passenger seat. I also carry a set of extra batteries for it.

A notepad and pencil: Maybe this is a typical item, but I carry it to jot down yarn requirements to take to a yarn shop.

Mild reading glasses: In case my eyes get tired, so I don't have to stop knitting.

KellyK
06-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Im a total slob....the bottom of my knitting bag is covered in old yarn wrappers. :oops: Looking on the bright side....they provide extra bag stability? :shifty:

Sil...you forgot to mention that a tiny stuffed sheep is an absolute necessity! :D

Silver
06-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Sil...you forgot to mention that a tiny stuffed sheep is an absolute necessity! :D
That's my tape measure! It's it the cutest!!! :)

brendajos
06-26-2005, 04:17 PM
well my knitting bag is whichever purse i happen to be carrying at that moment so right now it has my wallet and sunglasses...a pouch with about 5 different lip balms and glosses in it...some shout wipes cuz the girls are always getting themselves dirty...and my cellphone holder. the rest is all knitting stuff i think

KellyK
06-26-2005, 04:41 PM
That's my tape measure! Isn't it the cutest!!! :)
That has to be the most adorable tape measure Ive ever seen! :cheering:

Carol_OH
06-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Im a total slob....the bottom of my knitting bag is covered in old yarn wrappers. :oops: Looking on the bright side....they provide extra bag stability? :shifty:
I'm with Kelly - lots of old yarn wrappers, and a mess of stitch markers!

:rollseyes:

Nuno930
06-26-2005, 05:39 PM
I still don't have a knitting bag :(

Silver
06-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Ok, you all are making me feel totally anal. My bag is so organized and clean even my old yarn lables are in a ziplock bag. :oops:

But, maybe I can redeem myself by saying that my knitting bag is the ONLY thing in my life this organized. lol

KellyK
06-26-2005, 06:06 PM
I wanna be JUST LIKE SILVER when I grow up!!

Silver
06-26-2005, 06:24 PM
LOL @ Kelly

Mer
06-26-2005, 10:05 PM
So, at the moment I have about 3 bags that I'm using as knitting bags, but the one I bought specifically for that has in it (besides yarn, tape measure, etc):

Southwest airplane peanuts
Printed out airline guidelines for flying with knitting needles
Boarding pass
Yarn wrappers (I feel I should keep them, but don't know what to do with them)
Notebook
Tampons

Can you tell I haven't cleaned out my bag since I took it on the plane? :oops: You never know when you might want a peanut...

javede
06-27-2005, 01:12 AM
Apart from the obvious things and the notepad/pencil I also have a lil' cosmetic-kind of bag for my cigarette box in order to keep the tobacco away from my knitting.
Yes, I learned that the hard, gross kind of way!

And a hair tie cause my hair is now too long and starts to bother me sometimes.

foldedbird
06-27-2005, 01:29 AM
I've had a diaper in my knitting bag at one time...another I found batteries. Right now, there is a pastry bag tip in there.

1to1
06-27-2005, 10:09 AM
I keep all my knitting accessories in a small clear cosmetic bag--various sizes of post-it notes, crochet hook, scissors, stitch markers, pencil, lotion, tape measure, and needles.

I also keep a bottle of water, book (for when I need a break from knitting), and nail file.

LisaD715
06-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Ok, going to show my anal retentive side here.....

My knitting bag currently consists of..all my knitting paraphanalia, complete with yarn in the clear baggies sheets and curtains come in (with the zippers) and it is a large duffel bag on wheels.

When I am traveling (to the doctor or on a trip) I have a large black bag I got as a freebie when I bought shampoo at the salon which houses a book, knitting/cross stitch projects, water, lotion, a notepad and pencil. I clean the bag out everytime I leave the house with it, so I know it has what I need in it.

When I go for a kids game (soccer, baseball, etc...) or when camping, I for some reason carry all of this in Longaberger's medium market basket (huge basket that holds so much stuff). Again, this gets cleaned out each time I leave the house.

I know, I know, big pain in the bootie!!

Egeria
06-27-2005, 05:22 PM
I don't actually have a knitting bag.

When I take my knitting somewhere I just stick it in my purse, or use a paper bag with handles.

So nothing interesting to speak of really. How sad is that?!!

:thinking:

Kid Showbiz
06-27-2005, 07:12 PM
lol, I'm afraid I might have you all beat!

I work in technical theatre and costume design and every time I go to some conference I end up bringing home at least 5 promotional tote bags. I have about 12 bags I regularly use, one for each project and two for my stash (which is admittedly too small.) Basically, I'm constantly trying to find darning needles, random dpn's and stitch markers that are all in different bags. Some of the funnier things I've found in my bags:

Half a carton of unopened cigarettes and four lighters (in one bag)
A copy of The Prince by Machiavelli (I don't think I own that)
A jar of Nutella
My kitten's collar
A bag of animal crackers (did you know these actually have an expiration date?)
A shaker full of salt. All over my socks-in-progress

brendajos
06-27-2005, 07:21 PM
mmmmm....nutella...

yeah i think a craving was just triggered....*sigh*

gimmesanity
06-27-2005, 08:01 PM
I have a cat toy that wandered into my bag sometime ago and has yet to be rescued. That's about it...oh, and bits of leftover yarn that I've grown attached to so I can't throw them out just yet.

amy
06-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Welcome Kid Showbiz! Yikes, that's a lot of bags! It would drive me crazy to have to rummage through so many bags for that lost needle gauge!

Egeria and Nuno, me too... I'm knitting-bag-less at the moment! I'm very picky about choosing a bag that I really like. I won't buy or make a new bag unless I really like it. The irony is, in the mean time I'm using a couple of random canvas shopping bags which I hate. I've got two nearly completed knitting bags ready for felting though. Hopefully when all is said and done I'll like one enough to use it! I can't WAIT to have a knitting bag I love. I get SO disorganized without one!

As far as what I carry with me....
I have a small tape measure/key chain I got at a hardware store. I love it! I have that and a nail clipper on my keys, and I use them both constantly! Nothing worse then getting a snag in your nail and having it catch on your knitting constantly. I rarely have scissors in my bag, I use the nail clipper.

And I always have my Burt's Bees lipstick or chapstick with me. I love that stuff. And my cell phone with camera; I've been known to snap pictures of strangers (with their permission) if they've got a fantastic knit hat on or something. :blush:

The last thing I carry with me is a small bottle of hand sanitizer. I snack a lot (doctor recommends it for me), and like to have clean hands. I also use it on scary public toilet seats. :oo:

...And my wallet, and knitting on the needles. That's usually it!

Carol_OH
06-28-2005, 08:12 AM
I have tried a few different types of bags, but I love my LLBean "Boat and Tote" - I ordered one for my friend Holly (my knitting teacher) too, and she also loves it. It stands up quite well on its own. Doesn't have any little pocket things, but that is preferable for me! I got the one with long handles, which is great so I can carry it around like a big purse. (oh and I don't work for LLBean :shock: I just love me my bag! :heart: )

KellyK
06-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Is that the bag for which you can choose from all kinds of crazy colors? It's CUTE!

Carol_OH
06-28-2005, 08:15 AM
uh huh! :D :D :inlove:

VickiIL
06-28-2005, 08:24 AM
I am still looking for "The Bag" (right now I am using a cheap jute bag from Joann's - not what I really want but it is roomy) but in addition to any knitting and yarn that is being done I have a clear makeup travel bag that holds all my knitting "thingies" (my needle gauge, crochet hooks, stitch markers, tape measure, pretty boring really.)

Now does anyone have a bag they love? I would love to see it.

Nuno930
06-28-2005, 09:03 AM
I don't have one yet, but someone here (I forget who now) reccomended Mimi Custom Totes (http://www.mimiscustomtotes.com/) And I think I am going to get one. Part of my (and I am sure many others so I am anxious to hear what you all do) is I have the diaper bag + a purse+ I am adding a knitting bag :rollseyes: That is a lot of baggage. I think maybe if I get a clutch (http://www.katespade.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1868954&cp=1863844.1863858.1863881&parentPage=family) or a wristlette (http://www.coach.com/shop/product_nobefree.asp?product_no=7073&category_id=240&show_bc=&easyask_id=)... maybe?

Ingrid
06-28-2005, 09:17 AM
I used to carry my knitting in a small canvas bag that I picked up from Michaels (the kind you're supposed to decorate). So I walked into work with my coffee, keys, and light bag. Someone bought me a rather large bag as a secret Santa gift, and I think for me its too big. Now it has a couple of books, the daily paper, any paperwork that I bring home from work, a water bottle, assorted change and yarn wrappers on the bottom, a collection of dpns from when I was carrying around a cabled baby blanket, and assorted odds and ends. Also in it is my original canvas bag with my WIP in it. It weighs a ton. Time to de-stash the bag, I think. :D

brookenic
06-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Carol, I really like that bag. I'm thinking of buying one.
I use a basket to carry my knitting things in at home anyway(from room to room). When I take my knitting with me I have a small old purse that works fine.

Kid Showbiz
06-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I love those LL Bean tote bags, or maybe I'm just a sucker for anything pink!

I've been seriously considering making my own little version of the Jordana Paige knitter's purse, since the boyfriend made it very clear he won't be buying me one.

wildforyarn
06-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Currently I carry a Jordana Paige knitter's purse and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! I usually carry only one or two projects in it, extra needles if the projects calls for more than one size, the book/pattern that the project is coming from, magazines, nail clipper, hand sanitizer, sm. lotion, chapstick/lipstick, wallet, cell phone, a couple of diapers and small diaper wipe container, tape measure, row counter, stitch markers, and other odds and ends, including gum, kids' snacks, various pens, small scissors, bottle of water and I think that's about it. Wow, I have a lot of stuff in that little bag. :thinking: Okay, not so little bag. Some days though if I am out with the kids that bag is filled to the rim with stuff. :roflhard: I don't know how I find anything in it. :lol:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-29-2005, 12:17 AM
arrghhh i want a JP bag!!!!! i'd get it if i didn't spend all my money on yarn!!!

brendajos
06-29-2005, 12:23 AM
i am holding out for more pictures of the Messenger bag!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-29-2005, 12:30 AM
i *know* i wish they'd hurry up with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sheesh!

brendajos
06-29-2005, 12:37 AM
well i called her a while back and she said summer time...August sticks out in my head...was when she was hoping to have them. I will be sad, though, if it isn't pretty. :verysad: cuz ya know...size isn't everything...it is nice if it looks good too! :rofling:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-29-2005, 01:01 AM
yeah, i'm not really into the picture on the website... it's kind of boxy and army looking (and could anything be a more brown-green color?) i LOVE the grafitti purse though.... i wish it was in pink!

KellyK
06-29-2005, 07:59 AM
There's always presents for Christmas! Or Hanukah! Or the 4th of July! Or Lincoln's Birthday! Or the third Tuesday in August!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-29-2005, 12:35 PM
yay!!!! KK are you getting me a july 4th present??????????????
:inlove: :inlove: :heart: MUAH :heart: :inlove: :inlove:

here (http://www.jordanapaige.com/graffiti.html) is a link to buy my purse. you are the BEST ONLINE FRIEND EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk i love kk

KellyK
06-29-2005, 02:55 PM
:roflhard: It's too bad I cant call you from work so you could hear me laughing. :roflhard:

OMG, Hildie, sweetie, darlin', I think you have finally lost your marbles!

AIMOLA, WHEN ARE WE GONNA GET A HUG EMOTICON???? :inlove:

BinkyKat
06-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Anybody seen the "Good to Go" totes at Michael's? I was there tonight making my craft store rounds and see they have a "one skein" tote, a large one for the "serious knitter", a quilter's tote and a general craft tote that has a mix of all (pocket for a skein of yarn plus other spaces for stuff). They're kind of a muted orange/pumpkin color and range from 19.99 to 39.99.
Hey, I'm glad to hear that there's no such thing as "just one knitting project bag". I was beginning to think I just can't make up my mind as to what will make a good project bag.
I just got a JP bag and so far it just has one project and my accessories pouch. My first substantial tote was a suede Eddie Bauer tote. Very soft and slouchy with two divided sides and little pockets. I love it mostly but if it had longer handles I would be totally in love! It's hard to get it onto my shoulder if I have any kind of thick sweather or jacket on... sigh