PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Cables?

Nuno930
06-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Ummmm, are these hard? I know it is all relative... but consider I am an advance beginner to intermediate knitter and I've never done a cable. Am I insane to try these? I mean I would at least try a normal cable first...

http://www.girlfromauntie.com/patterns/celtic/simpleceltic.php

Ingrid
06-28-2005, 10:25 AM
I did a pillow with a Celtic knot cable on it (wanted to do the knot, not the whole sweater). The chart was a little different, because there are spaces where there are no stitches. I've trained myself to follow directions blindly and it came out really nice. Reading a cable chart for the first time can be difficult, though. It helps to have some experience with cables so you can look at the symbol and know what they mean rather than having to look at the explanations every time. On the other hand, what have you got to lose?

brendajos
06-28-2005, 10:47 AM
:shock: umm...your mind? that chart scares me!

Silver
06-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Cables are so easy. They're the easiest thing you can do to make your knitting look complicated. But shhh! Don't tell anyone! ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Nuno, you can do it! Just practice on something that isn't a sweater or "important" project first. Pick some yucky yarn in your stash that you klnow you're not going to use and just dive in. That chart DOES look scary :shock: but I think if you just sit down and do it, it will turn out fine. Print out the chart and use a highlighter, that's what I'd do. I learned cables from stitch and bitch, and silver is right: they are SO easy, and people are always impressed by them becasue they look complicated! Once you do one you'll be mad that you didn't try it before.

I just tried to print the chart and directions from the website and they didn'tcome out too good, so I saved the pictures and created a word document, which is MUCH easier to read (i enlarged everything). If anyone wants it, PM me your email and I'll send it over!

MaryB
06-28-2005, 05:49 PM
I have been doing cables for quite a while and I hate charts. This is probably just me, but I prefer working from directions that spell out with words---not symbols----what I am to do. I guess it all depends on how you learn to cable. I'm stuck in a rut!!

Ingrid
06-30-2005, 08:50 AM
I have been doing cables for quite a while and I hate charts. This is probably just me, but I prefer working from directions that spell out with words---not symbols----what I am to do. I guess it all depends on how you learn to cable. I'm stuck in a rut!!

I like charts so I know for sure that I'm where I'm supposed to be by looking at the row below, at least until the pattern starts to show itself more clearly. I also find that I can glance over at it to see what's next rather than having to find which row/direction I'm on.

I guess that's why you can find patterns both ways--this way everybody's happy! :D

kimmie
06-30-2005, 08:56 AM
I hadn't done anything with cables other than the irish hiking scarf and then I found a lovely pattern for a sweater with a big complex celtic knot in the center. I thought it would be confusing, but I just took it row by row and it all made sense as I got to that point. Turned out lovely.
:) kimmie

Nuno930
06-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Chart seem easy for me to read. I am thinking all that cross stitching is paying off pretty well for me now!

I think I am gonna try it! I would like to use the celtic cable for the coronet (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTcoronet.html) hat for DH. Anyone see an issue with that?

Ingrid
06-30-2005, 09:34 AM
I think that would be a great one to start with--get the hang of the cables without a huge project to worry about.

MaryB
06-30-2005, 09:53 AM
The best part about that pattern is that you are doing the cables separate from the hat. If you need to rip you are not ripping the whole thing, just the 17 stitches of the cable.

Soxy
06-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Nuno I agree with you about charts. I prefer them as there are no typos in them. If the pattern doesn't line up it shows in a chart.

Remember you are only doing one st at a time and corssing one cable at a time so the size of the cable shouldn't intimedate you. Cables are the first thing a beginner should learn after they learn to put k and p sts together. They are much simpler than color or lace work and make your work look exotic.

I was pleased to read you have decided to go for it. Most of the people I've helped learn cables are so extremely thrilled at their finished projects. You are going to love the results.

eggplant
06-30-2005, 01:33 PM
There's a cable hat pattern by one of our very own members here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143), and I believe it was one of her first projects!

I made the hat, too, and it turned out very nicely.

Edited to add: Thanks, Anise! :XX:

Carol_OH
06-30-2005, 06:07 PM
I LOVE that pattern - in fact, it inspired me to order some new yarn from knitpicks! :D

aliassak
06-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Her charts are very easy to read, as long as you have her key. I'm currently knitting Rogue, which pretty much said the same thing about advanced cables or whatnot. I tackled it anyway just because I :heart: Rogue. Haven't had any problems with the cables at all!!!

Go for it!!!!!

suziehomemaker
07-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Cables are so easy. They're the easiest thing you can do to make your knitting look complicated. But shhh! Don't tell anyone! ;)

Silver - I agree, cables are so much fun and easily get you the "wow" factor when giving gifts. By the way, your cable project in that picture is absolutely beautiful. Is that a pattern that you designed yourself?

Silver
07-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Silver - I agree, cables are so much fun and easily get you the "wow" factor when giving gifts. By the way, your cable project in that picture is absolutely beautiful. Is that a pattern that you designed yourself?
Thank you! No, I didn't design that. It's a square in the afghan I'm working on right now, called the Great American Aran Afghan (http://www.cometosilver.com/bitethis/knitting_squares.htm). ;)

suziehomemaker
07-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Silver - When I got on your site and saw the pictures of all of the squares I made such a noise that my husband stopped playing his xbox to see what was wrong. He saw the pictures and said "wow, I want one for us."

Yeah - I ordered the pattern book. It may take me a year or two to get it done but I'll do it and love it! It's definitely a family heirloom in the making!

:cheering:

Silver
07-01-2005, 09:41 PM
That's great!!! I have soooooooo loved knitting this afghan. The best thing about it is that each square is totally different. And when you finish one, it's like a little finished object all by itself, so the whole task doesn't seem nearly as daunting.

I'm ALMOST finished. I'm stitching the border on right now. It should be finished tomorrow!!! :cheering:

Please let me know when you get started on it! :)

suziehomemaker
07-02-2005, 09:15 AM
I googled the name of the pattern to see what people used for yarn. I was thinking that if it's not going to be a gift that I won't worry about the cost too much. I thought about using something that can be machine washable but still felt luxurious. I may not start this project until I find the perfect yarn!

I noticed that many people used a white or cream color. Do you think a natural alpaca color would still show the detail of each square?

KellyK
07-02-2005, 09:16 AM
What IS a natural alpaca color? I am imagining a light camel, which would be PREEEETY, but I am probably wrong.

Silver
07-02-2005, 10:39 AM
I think you could use any color you want. Most people use cream or offwhite because this is an aran afghan, and arans are traditionally those colors. Here's (http://www.nwkniterati.com/MovableType/archives/000490.html) one knitted in several different colors.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything that can't be machine washed. But that's just me. If it's going to be used as a blanket, it really needs to be washed. But there are many lovely washable yarns out there. I used Plymouth Encore. It's machine washable and dryable and very very soft and cozy. But honestly.. look at that afghan. It could be knit with kitchen twine and still be gorgeous. LOL

Anyway. if you want to use an Alpaca, there are several different colors to chose from. Alpacas are naturally white, cream, grey, tan, rust, camel, brown or black. :)

Nuno930
07-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Ooooh i love the multi-color! I am going to work on a pillow similar (but much simpler) to that! Basically a "build your skills" pillow! I was going to go all one color... but now I think maybe I will do a few. :thumbsup: