PDA

View Full Version : Curious- How much did Amy's videos teach you?

Nuno930
06-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Just thought it would be fun to see... and an ego boost for Amy :inlove: to see how much her videos helped her peeps learn to knit.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-29-2005, 01:00 AM
oh good. I'm glad I didn't do something smark-alecky like I usually do!

Julie
06-29-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm actually sort of in between the first two...I had been knitting for a day or two when I came here in desperation and Amy's videos taught me to cast on the right way and knit continental-style instead of all that crazy throwing business. ;) I'd definitely credit Amy with teaching me how to knit! :thumbsup: (Thanks, Amy!)

brendajos
06-29-2005, 01:10 AM
i took a class and learned how to cast on and knit....finished the scarf i was working on there by the end of the weekend and wanted to do something else. Found another site that has fairly good basic videos purling and binding off (though never explains what to do with that last loop...sheesh) and learned how to do that there. then decided that there has to be more out there because while their videos were okay, the site was bad. did another google search and there Amy was...i have pretty much been stalking the site ever since and always come here when i want to figure out something i haven't done before!

THANKS AMY!!!!

amp926
06-29-2005, 01:32 AM
My grandmother taught me to crochet and I became frustrated that I couldn't find any fun crochet patterns. All the patterns that looked like something that I might actually wear/use were knit patterns. So one day I thought... let me seach online to see if I can teach myself to knit. I stumbled across this website and sat in front of the computer watching her videos for like an hour..... This place is amazing!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Thank you Amy!

roofth
06-29-2005, 02:37 AM
ditto what everyone said above... these videos have been so helpful (i'm constantly on the increases/decreases page, trying to remind myself of certain things and learning new ones as well)!! i've referred a number of friends here and it has helped them tremendously too... thanks amy!! =)

Aby
06-29-2005, 05:55 AM
I bought a book called the "Encyclopedia of Knitting" and all it did was remind me how to cast on. So I kept trying to knit a couple rows and kept screwing up and it always looked like crap. I put my stuff down and didn't touch it for months. In that time, I searched and searched for anything to help me and FINALLY stumbled onto this site. I must have watched her videos 3 times each that night and it all CLICKED! I immediately sent Amy this email and stayed here as a member.

Email:
I just wanted to tell you that I began knitting again after learning the basics as a small child. I'm now 32 and picked up where I left off.. the very basics. I bought several books. I watch "knit one purl two" and "knitty gritty" religously, on diy network and I am constantly surfing the net for sites to help me, since I don't have any crafty friends, locally. I've avoided the hard stuff because I could never get any kind of CLEAR look at what they were doing. The people demonstrating were either too fast, failed to explain properly, or they just didn't show the demonstration long enough.

I stumbled onto your site from a blog, that I also stumbled onto. BRAVO! In one night, of watching your videos, I learned to do every step, with the exception of the sock heel, on your site. I have to say you are an amazing teacher. I think some people need a little more hand holding than others, but if they were learning from you, I have no doubt they would get it on their first try. Your comments like "that's all there is to cables" really fill me with the confidence to go and try it myself. Your video's are very detailed and you explain things so well. I look forward to more instructions. Thank you so much for helping me learn the more complex side of knitting.

Your Student
Jeanie Healy (middle name, DH calls me Jeanie)

KellyK
06-29-2005, 07:38 AM
I'm with Julie....

Back in February I had some kind of weird HOBBY EPIPHANY :angelgrin: and decided for no real reason (maybe making Howie a sweater was in the back of my mind) that I wanted to learn to knit.

I bought the Art of Knitting DVD and a "learn to knit" kit.

The DVD taught me to cast on (by knitting on) and to knit.

When I stumbled across KH, I found out I was knitting "combined" :doh: and I learned the long-tail CO.

Then I learned EVERYTHING ELSE I KNOW here! :cheering:

Amy understands the best way to learn....one needs to SEE the motion, CLOSE UP! (Did you all know that she is HUGGING the video cam's tripod as she knits for those videos??? I finally had to ask one day....) And, yes, her commentary makes things CRYSTAL clear.

Not to mention the community she has created! Such FRIENDS I have made here! Knitters are just GOOD PEOPLE, arent they?? :inlove:

I have been SO grateful for the opportunity to become a part of this place and give a little back through my modship. *tissue*

This thread was an AWESOME idea, Nik! ;)

Carol_OH
06-29-2005, 08:59 AM
*hands another tissue to Kelly* :D

Amy's videos helped me TREMENDOUSLY! I was taught by my friend, but I didn't want to bug her every evening when I was knitting and having troubles, so I kept Amy's site bookmarked and opened!

Yay for Amy!!!!

:heart:

Julie
06-29-2005, 10:12 AM
I must have watched her videos 3 times each
Only three times?? :roflhard:

I referred my friend here and we both agreed that one of the best things about video is that you can watch them 1,000 times, or until you "get it." Whereas when a live person is teaching you they might get irritated if you ask them to do somthign for the 1,000th time. :mrgreen:

MaryS
06-29-2005, 12:06 PM
I love Amy's videos, especially Increases & Decreases. I've been knitting for forty years and had done intricate cables and Fair Isle patterns, made sweaters, hats, scarves and afghans, and even designed some of my own sweaters including modifying existing patterns to add sizes (like XXXL for a very rotund friend), but I'd never made a sock.

Somehow the directions for turning a heel always baffled me. Well I'm halfway through my first sock - thanks to Amy - and I finally understand how to do the heel! It's great to be able to actually SEE in motion what you have to do and not just try to decipher written instructions with drawn pictures. Ever notice how the drawn pictures never look like your knitting?

The increases and decreases all in a row are really helpful too! Other fun things I hadn't known before: Provisional cast on, Three needle bind off, and double knitting.

THANKS FOR ALL THE WONDERFUL HELP, AMY!!!

(Now if I could just figure out how to use the emoticons - scratching head.)

Mary

cheesiesmom
06-29-2005, 01:11 PM
My mother taught me to knit and crochet, but it wasn't until my dd asked me to teach her that I rediscovered the joy of knitting. Amy's vids taught me to continental, the long tail cast on and other goodies. I go back to them whenever I get stuck, sit in front of the monitor, needles in hand, vid running over and over until I get it. It's like sitting at the knee of a pro for help. The vids are incredible.

I stalk the site, add a few comments here and there whenever I feel I have any expertise on the subject matter, frequently ask questions, and get wonderfully helpful responses. The only problem is this site taught me what a "stash" was. Since no knitter worth her salt can be without one, I spent a fortune on yarn and now have a respectable stash. Wahoo!!

As my son would say, "KnittingHelp.com is da bomb!" I :heart: KH.

Aby
06-29-2005, 06:40 PM
I must have watched her videos 3 times each
Only three times?? :roflhard:

I referred my friend here and we both agreed that one of the best things about video is that you can watch them 1,000 times, or until you "get it." Whereas when a live person is teaching you they might get irritated if you ask them to do somthign for the 1,000th time. :mrgreen:

I meant that night. :lol: Since then, I can't count the number of times I've watched them. :blush:

amy
06-29-2005, 09:36 PM
OMG, this is the best thread ever! Thanks Nik!

:heart: You all are so great! :heart: Pass the tissues... *sniffle*

I can't believe how many of you learned from the beginning here! :shock: That is SOOOOOO cool!!!! It makes me wonder how many people I've actually taught to knit! And how many people I've taught to make socks, and advanced things. I get all warm and fuzzy inside to think about it, it makes me feel even more connected to you all (who knew it was possible?), it's like I've sat down next to you and we've knitted together, to hear you say what you've learned here.

I love hearing your stories!!! :sunny:

Amy

kitkat
06-29-2005, 09:57 PM
I suspect without Amy's videos, played over and over and over again, I might have given up!!!! :XX:

MaryB
06-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Amy, you truly started something special, be proud!
I have been knitting more years than I care to remember. I took a rather extended detour into the land of Needlepoint. With the resurgance of knitting, I dusted off my needles and jumped in. Your web site was one of the first I happened upon, and I am very grateful that I did.

Thanks to you and to all the special knitters who make this my first stop when I turn on the computer.

Mary

KellyK
06-29-2005, 10:34 PM
:heart: You all are so great! :heart: Pass the tissues... *sniffle*

it's like I've sat down next to you and we've knitted together, to hear you say what you've learned here.

Isnt it SURREAL that you can feel HUGGED by people you've never met?? :inlove:

rebecca
06-29-2005, 10:41 PM
1st, allow me to admit the truth; and it's VERY :blush: EMBARRASSING :oops: !
I knew that there were 'helpful knitting' tips here #1 because of the name :doh: and #2 because I had heard about this website when I was on the knitting forum over at KnittersReview.com, yes, :rollseyes: I am a biforumual and PROUD OF IT! and #3 I never even looked at any of the 'help' areas when I 1st joined; I just came to talk about :XX: . I had completely forgotten that there were all these helpful diddies happening all over the site; I was too busy talking, yep, me....jabber, jabber; :XX: :XX: #4 When Amy sent me her cd's I was then AMAZED :shock: at all of the helpful videos all over the place... :doh: duh; where had I been?!....TALKING..LOL!! Now, I begin tomorrow (finally) to try to learn continental knitting now that there's that wonderful video with Amy's great, easily understood explanations (that were always at my fingertips before, but ..again..me..talking; Imagine That!!) After the continental knitting I intend to learn how to better accomplish color work; and the list goes on!!
After my embarrassing :oops: confession about my inability to read beyond the word 'forum' on the toolbar (or whatever it's called) I would like to say: THANK YOU, AMY! Since I've received your cds I've learned all sorts of cool things and you, my dear friend, are an EXCELLENT :XX: teacher; you are indeed my Yoda :notworthy:

SimplyKaar
06-30-2005, 10:14 AM
The video's here are the absolute best!!!
I knew one basic cast on (knitting on), I could knit and purl which allowed me to do simple things like seed stitch and ribbing.

When I mentioned I was looking for other explanations and simple patterns, bummble pointed me to this side and I haven't left since :cheering:

Things I've learnt: to knit righthanded (I'm a leftie by nature but it was easier to not have to mirror the videos :D), knit in the round with DPN, how to do long tail cast on, in- and decreasing, cabling etc.
and I'll soon try to make my first sock.

Oh and I've learnt a TON of new English words :roflhard: Somehow the subject of knitting never really was covered in my highschool English classes. Nowadays I think I can read a patterndescription better in English than I can in Dutch and I write my own ideas out using the English abbreviations aswell.

Best thing though is this forum!!! :thumbsup: If I had wanted to, I could have learnt most of the knitting from my mum eventually but I love having "met" so many of you on here :happydance:
I know I don't post that often but I do read most of the posts as often as I can and I love it.

so, Amy: you're inspiration is actually traveling the globe; thanks for taking this idea and running with it!! I hope that this baby isn't growing too big for you though; I hate to see knittinghelp.com either kill itself or "kill" you by its own success :shock:
(a big yay!! to all the mods is in place here too I think, for helping to keep this forum up and running :balloons:)

Hmm, ok I kind of expanded on just the "how did the video's help you" subject so I'll get down from my soapbox and let you all continue with the regular program again.

:waving:

Karen.

amy
06-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Isnt it SURREAL that you can feel HUGGED by people you've never met?? :inlove:

I feel VERY HUGGED :heart:, it's so wonderful! :sunny: I'm loving it!

Rebecca, you're too funny! Well the videos can take a long time to download for slower internet, so don't feel like you're the only one who didn't watch them until you got a CD! I'm SURE you're not alone! :)

Simply Kaar, I agree, the forum is the best part!! It was an afterthought, if you can believe that, when I made this site. "Hmmm, I wonder if anyone will post to a forum if I put one up?" :shock: Yeah, within minutes!! DH says he's never known of a forum to take off as fast as this one did! We were very lucky, because some poor wonderful forums never even get off the ground; it takes people to post, to bring the wonderful energy to it! You all are what it's all about!! Thanks everyone!! :heart:

And YES, THANKS TO THE MODS!! for keeping my job fun for me. ;) Don't know what I'd do without you ladies! :heart:

Don't worry SimplyKaar, this site's not going be taken down for ANYTHING! It's been a great blessing for me too, and gives back to me in every way. It's been a huge help to have the mods. If you all can do without me for occasional periods, then you needn't worry about me burning out! It's a great joy to be a part of this community, and to add to and have fun with this site!!

rebecca
06-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Thank you, Amy, for being so gracious...but I have cable modem...nothing slow about the computer...lol!!

amy
07-01-2005, 11:45 AM
:shock: LOL, that's too funny Rebecca! :roflhard:

twiggyann
07-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Well I taught myself the basics. Then I learned them the right way through the videos. Everytime I run into something new in a pattern, I run to see if there's a video. So Amy, you can count me among the people you taught to knit (and still are -- you just taught me how to do cables last week) and Silver taught me about socks.

snephenie
07-02-2005, 02:20 PM
I am another learned it all here gal.

My MIL tried to teach me about 7 years ago but between the metal needles and her german accent I just couldn't get it.

I was crocheting since I was 19 (but that had been in the back of my closet for some time) My neighbor (our children are best friends) was outside crocheting one day and I thought "Hey I should get mine out"
Then she showed me the double hooked needle and I loved that, then she brought out the knittings needles....WOOOOAHHH.

I got the knifty knitter looms instead. Then I realized most of my time was spent wrapping the yarn around the pegs, and if I got one of the S shapped ones, I may have a lap gahn in a YEAR. So I went to Michaels and bought some needles and came to the internet.

I was trying the cast on my friend was doing but it was very difficult and I always ended up with a big loop at the end.
A co worker told me about this site and I have been knitting since. (Bout 6 weeks) I have made 3 scarves, have two on needles as well as the one rectangle done for a childs poncho.

I tell EVERYONE about the site! :)

Thanks Amy! :heart:

dustinac
07-08-2005, 10:09 AM
When ever something bad or stressful happens I try something new craft wise.. When my dh hit a deer in Jan. I shut myself up and made ribbon angels LOL. I had been wanting to learn how to knit but never took the time to do it till one Sat. when we had to take our little girl to the ER cause she couldn't open her eyes so I went to our local shop said I'm new what do I need?? She asked if I ever crocheted I said yep she said tight? I said ohhh yeahhh she said ok Size 8 and light colored wool so got that and then went to the library and picked up a DVD on knitting.. Came home moved my girl to the couch with me and watched the video and finally got the caston!! Then the knitting came and I was like WHATTTT!!! So I searched google and found this website and after watching Amy it just clicked I got it!!! I know Brendajosos from another board and when I told her she also suggested this board as being the best. So I have Amy as my teacher but have Brendajosos as my answer my crazy questions so noone will laugh at me!! LOL

Thanks Amy and Brendajososososssssssssss :XX:

tab
07-08-2005, 08:25 PM
So far I've learned intarsia, fair isle, one-row buttonhiles and icord from the wonderful videos here. I've also technically learned how to do cables by watching the video, but I haven't been brave enough to try them yet. I also want to make my own knitting needles, but that will wait until I find some suitable dowels.
Thanks, Amy, for all the helpful videos! Whenever I want to try something new, this is the first place I visit.

amy
07-09-2005, 02:16 AM
:sunny: Amy Beams :sunny:

Great stories!

I have to admit I have a competitive streak in me... I love hearing how such-and-such DVD just didn't cut it, and my site is so great. :angelgrin:

Rennagayle
07-09-2005, 11:19 AM
I suspect without Amy's videos, played over and over and over again, I might have given up!!!!

I KNOW I would have! I was at that point of frustration, ready to pitch all my needles into the nearest garbage can. :mad: Then, I found Amy's site, watched the videos, again and again and again and .....well, anyway, everything turned around for me the day I discovered this site. I :heart: the feeling of community that's here in the forums, too.

My hat's off to you, Amy! :notworthy:

Rorshach
07-09-2005, 06:37 PM
heh, this site is the best, usually when I encounter a direction in a pattern I'm not familiar with, yeah, I'll look at it in a book, but it usually doesn't clue me in on what to do. On the other hand, I come here, look up what I need, and I can SEE exactly how it's done. A big thanks from me in Idaho to you Amy, definitely one I would consider a Master knitter.

DaniK
07-09-2005, 07:15 PM
I learned the basics from my sister, but once I returned home from my Christmas vacation, I needed more assistance. Amy's videos helped me tremendously! Checking out the video is usually step one in my "getting ready to start a new project" routine. Checking out the video is also steps 2 through 20. :lol:

blueslady
07-09-2005, 08:15 PM
:XX:
Hi I can't believe I found this terrific site. I'm so thrilled. I was looking for graphics and instructions on how to do a bind off on the round (bind off on knit one purl one) and this terrific site has the short video of it. Do you ladies know if there is anyway to save it so I can play it over and over until I get it. Seem's like I have a mental block. I'm good at looking at graphics step by step also. Please help this pea brain.

brendajos
07-09-2005, 08:32 PM
actually once you have downloaded it once it only takes seconds to open and play again usually. i would say it is safe to assume most people here have watched most of the videos repeatedly! If you don't want to have to be on the net all the time for it, you can get the CD and watch it from there. she has extra stuff on the cds that aren't on the site too so you get a bonus from buying it from her! WELCOME!!

Julie
07-09-2005, 10:25 PM
You can also right-click on the icon for the video you'd like to save and click on "save target as" (or "save link as" depending on your browser) to save the video to your desktop. :D

blueslady
07-10-2005, 12:59 PM
:XX:
I want to thank the ladies that answered me. I downloaded the video now I can watch it over and over until I get it. lol. It also shows a little bit larger so it's easier to see it. Thanks again.

Danielle_Thomas
07-13-2005, 10:43 AM
I bought the Stitch N Bitch book to teach myself to knit, but from just reading the descriptions, and looking at the pictures, I couldn't even understand how to cast-on!!! So, I searched for knitting videos online, and I came across Amy and her site. I am by no means an expert knitter, but now I frog less, and I just cast-off for the first time last night! Yeah!! Thank you for everything Amy! You (and the other members on this forum) have been great!!

punkhippiemom
07-31-2005, 09:26 PM
:oops:
So, am I the only one on this site that Amy did not teach?? Not that her videos aren't great and all, I've just never seen them - I have the dreaded dial-up, and the first video I tried to download was going to take an hour or more... I figured if I spent that much time waiting for it, I could probably figure it out myself...and I did.
But, that said -
Everything else on this site is awesome!!!!!
Anytime I have a question I know that I can look up the answer here - if it's not something that's already here, I can ask and everyone graciously contributes their knowledge and support. I am the only person I know who knits, so this website has been the main source of inspiration, information, and even occasional frustration (I lurked this forum for 3 weeks before I figured out what the heck LYS meant :doh: I thought it was the name of a chain store!) in my knitting life.
I recently (like today) decided that this website was so great I should branch out and try a couple of the other ones out there... I went to Knitty.com's coffeehouse, and although I'm sure I could find answers to all the technical questions I wanted there, it didn't seem as friendly or as much fun. This forum just feels like "home" now.
So, although I haven't seen Amy's videos, this site and forum have taught me everything I needed to know.
Thanks all :waving:

foldedbird
07-31-2005, 09:35 PM
I am a biforumual and PROUD OF IT!

LOL! I'm stealing your kwote for my sig! [/b]

foldedbird
07-31-2005, 09:38 PM
Simply Kaar, I agree, the forum is the best part!! It was an afterthought, if you can believe that, when I made this site. "Hmmm, I wonder if anyone will post to a forum if I put one up?" :shock: Yeah, within minutes!! DH says he's never known of a forum to take off as fast as this one did! We were very lucky, because some poor wonderful forums never even get off the ground; it takes people to post, to bring the wonderful energy to it! You all are what it's all about!! Thanks everyone!! :heart:

Forums are a lot of work, sometimes, but they pay off in the end. Did you know that a lot of the big forum sites (that have paid features as well as free) actually "seed" their forums? The site that I used to work for did it. I did it on the ones I was in charge of. It's kind of creepy, to have 5 different aliases, but it happens...

foldedbird
07-31-2005, 09:47 PM
This thread was an *excellent* idea. Everyone needs a little lift now and then, to remind them of how their work is paying off.

I ran across Knitty Gritty on TV around Thanksgiving, I believe. I'll admit that I laughed at it and said to my then scumbag "Wow, can you believe there is actually a whole show dedicated to knitting? No one knits anymore! That's for old ladies!"

Boy, was I wrong...and then I saw the beginners episode with Vicki Square. My eyes feasted on the lovely scarf she was wearing. So, then I had to make one. I tried following the show, didn't work for me. I tried a book, didn't work for me. I searched the internet, until I found KH.

In one night, I casted on, I knitted, I purled and I was hooked. Now I've done scarves, socks, learned how to design, taught 10 people to knit, sent MANY folks back here for Amy's videos.

I'm at the point now where I could start my own site teaching people how to knit. I could have left the KH chat offsite. I could have started my own forum. I could have done lots of things, but until Amy kicks me off, I'm not going anywhere! I've got lots more ideas for us...and I love hearing everyone elses ideas, too.

Now, where is the video bout how to write clearly???

Ellen Edwards
08-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Punk--I learned to knit about 20years ago just to knit Christmas stockings for my children!! But it wasn't very fun doing it alone. There was a wonderful lady who had a little shop over the drug store in our little town, and she was :heart: WONDERFUL!! She had a little heater up there in the winter, and women from all walks of life would sit around in the arm chairs and she'd come around to help each one as they needed her. There was coffee on all the time. She sold "real" wool, :D when I couldn't find it anywhere else, and I knitted my MIL a "ripple" afghan with it. It cost a fortune back then!! (Not cheap now either!!)

Foldedbird--I love Knitty Gritty, too. :thumbsup: Wish it came on everday, and that I had taped them all. Watching someone do these things really inspires you to learn more and more. I really think I could teach a bit more than basic knitting now that I have Amy's CDs and after watching Knitty Gritty. I still have so much to learn, but I'd love to teach someone else to knit, too. It's such a rewarding thing to do!! :heart:

foldedbird
08-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Foldedbird--I love Knitty Gritty, too. :thumbsup: Wish it came on everday, and that I had taped them all. Watching someone do these things really inspires you to learn more and more. I really think I could teach a bit more than basic knitting now that I have Amy's CDs and after watching Knitty Gritty. I still have so much to learn, but I'd love to teach someone else to knit, too. It's such a rewarding thing to do!! :heart:

Ellen, I love the show too. I do wish there were some new episodes, though! I've got all of them on the DVR now and on tape...

Jan in CA
10-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Late to the party here, but I :heart: this website! I've been knitting for about 6 weeks and I've learned so much. I refer to the videos often and it's so nice to get quick answers to those "NEED to know NOW!" questions! :rofling: You guys are great! Thanks Amy!! :thumbsup:

knitting4babybear
10-24-2005, 04:33 PM
I learned to cast on and how to do the knit stitch at a class at Michael's about 3 (4?) weeks ago. I learned to knit at KH. Having the videos means I NEVAH forget anything - because I do that, you know. Learn to cast on and 4 rows in I have no idea how anymore? Brain like a SIEVE...

So yeah - Amy rules. Here's to her bringing out the warm and cuddly in us all. Amy's like the Martha Stewart of knitting for me. You know how you used to always KNOW certain domestic feats were POSSIBLE but never quite trusted yourself to try them at home lest you glue yourself to a cake ,and frost a door sill? Until Martha.... :inlove:

Well, now it's - Until Amy... :)

sogrammatical
10-24-2005, 05:39 PM
I found this website last summer when I was trying to make a scarf and I discovered that I couldn't remember how to cast on. It was the only site that I could find that had actual videos, not pictures or animated gifs. I learned how to purl here, I learned how to do various increases and decreases, how to fix mistakes, and how to follow patterns. I just finished my first pair of socks this weekend! I never dreamed that I could actually make socks!

So thank you very much, Amy, for putting this site together and the forum. I love it!

knitting4babybear
10-24-2005, 06:06 PM
I found this website last summer when I was trying to make a scarf and I discovered that I couldn't remember how to cast on.

See? It's not just me! :cheering:

sogrammatical
10-24-2005, 06:35 PM
See? It's not just me!

If you think about it, of course you're going to forget it! You only do it once per project (hopefully!), whereas you knit lots and lots of times.

TikiPrincess
02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I was trying to learn from a book, but some things I just wasn't getting and I found this site and was like :woohoo:
The videos are great because you can really see what her hands are doing and she goes s l o w l y enough for beginners to figure it out, and then repeats. Most of the youtube videos I saw weren't as well done because the hands were covering the needles or too shot was too wide or the person worked too fast.
THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH :muah:

RuthieinMaryland
02-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi! :waving:

That's what this whole site experience has been for me - an incredible experience.

I can't believe how far I've progressed with my knitting in such a short time, and this would not have happened without Amy's incredible videos and the help and support of other knitters like each of you out there on this site.

So thanks to all for being there, being so helpful, loving and valuable and to Amy in particular for her vision and hard work to make knitting even more enjoyable for us all!

Much love,

Ruthie :yay:

knitaholic
02-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Amy,

Had it not been for you, I would have given up on learning to knit--nobody in my family knits or wants to knit. Thanks again.

Knitaholic:muah:

bambi
02-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I am all self taught and I could co, knit, purl, k2tog, bo. I came here and got braver! Amy helped me learn to cable, ssk, rib, seed, use circs, use DPNs, and fair isle.

Here's to the videos!!!

:muah: :hug: :muah: :hug:

Bambi

Doodknitwit
02-20-2009, 11:30 AM
her videos are the best resource ..I recommend to all my friends who knit or hope to,

Ryan
02-20-2009, 11:40 AM
A HUGE thank you for Amy's Videos! Starting out as a closeted knitter, I was suprised at just how bad the knitting vids on youtube were, sloppy camera work or no close ups. Amy's vids are awesome and best of all they are free and well organized. I'm for sure I would have given up long ago if not for them.

Marria
02-20-2009, 08:39 PM
New things I learned from this site were the Russian join, cable cast on and how to make a one row buttonhole (and all these techniques are awesome!) I originally came here, though, after doing an internet search on how to wrap a short row because I had totally forgotten. And then I discovered the forums and how friendly and non-snarky everyone here is. So I've stuck around since. :)

ETA:

I also meant to say that although I was familiar with a lot of the increase and decrease methods, the idea of having one big knitted piece demonstrating all of them along with the videos is a brilliant idea. It really allows you to compare them.

Dimpledapple
02-21-2009, 03:18 AM
I also meant to say that although I was familiar with a lot of the increase and decrease methods, the idea of having one big knitted piece demonstrating all of them along with the videos is a brilliant idea. It really allows you to compare them.

I agree! Juxtaposing the different methods made it a lot easier to learn and retain the information :)

Mrowcat
02-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Off and on for years now, I've wanted to learn to knit. I finally decided that it was now or never. All I can say is I'm so glad I came here first.

Casting on and the knit stitch came pretty easily, but I had to watch the purl video over and over before I finally got it. And I have to agree about being able to watch the videos repeatedly versus learning from a person. The only knitter I know is an aunt who I might see once a week for a couple of hours.

newamy
02-21-2009, 10:19 AM
I always tell people I learned to knit on line. I did have someone show me at first but when I got home and tried again was all mixed up. Googled Knitting help and here I am. I learned everything I know here or from other on line sources. Once I understood the process I now "get" descriptions and illustrations in books. I've never taken a class. In fact classes at my LYS sound too easy. And I'm a bit intimidated to take a more advanced class some where...suppose I have all kinds of bad habits??? Anyway I've done dish cloths, socks, sweaters, simple lace and cables, simple stranding. I know there is lots I haven't tried yet. But I also know I can knit more and better than someone who has knit the same all their lives and never looked into classes or on line sources or tried new things.

Lisa R.
02-21-2009, 10:35 AM
I learned casting on (sort of ) and the knit stitch before finding KnittingHelp. I went to a group that met weekly, and when I got stuck, rather than waiting a week to figure out what to do next, I came here. Spent HOURS watching and re-watching the videos...and they really gave me confidence and direction. I would pretty much attribute my knitting skills to what I learned here!

Thanks, Amy!

losnana
02-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Although I've knit more than a dozen pairs of socks, I still do the kitchener stitch toes in front of Amy's video - every single toe!!