PDA

View Full Version : Independence, never off topic.

foldedbird
07-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi everyone.
I'd like to take this space to send warm wishes to our friends in Canada. Happy Canada Day.

And, to my fellow Americans, Happy Independence Day. How sweet it is to be able to post these very words without fear of retribution of any kind. I ask you, my dear friends, to please take this time to dedicate your thoughts to those who have given us this freedom so unselfishly. Please pray or think of those who are spending this weekend away from home, regardless of what your political associations may be.

My friends are there, and they are your friends too.

If you venture out this weekend, and see a service member enjoying the festivities, would you please take the time to shake his or her hand? It may seem small, or trite, but it is what drives us families to keep doing what we do. It is something they do not for government, not for politics, but for the average joe who is having breakfast with his family at this moment, dropping their children off at school, or stopping off at church for a quick prayer.

When my family has been stopped by a stranger, thanking us for our sacrifice, we sometimes hear "It is the least I can do to thank you." I think to myself "No, it is the most you can do."

Happy Independence Day
Denise Hunley
Ways to help the military: http://americasupportsyou.mil
edited: thanks to Kelly for pointing out my very embarassing error.

LisaD715
07-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Denise, thank you so much for putting my thoughts into words!!!!

As an Army brat who grew up in a Navy town, I have never forgotten the wonderful deeds our service men and women do for us on a daily basis. Many of them are not even old enough to have a beer, but can go and willingly fight for the freedoms we hold so dear.

Please remember, these brave service men and women are someone's daughter, son, mother, father, sister, brother aunt or uncle.

Have a wonderful time this weekend celebrating our freedom to celebrate whatever we want to!!

For all of you Canadian's....Happy Canada Day!!!!

Lisa

brendajos
07-04-2005, 12:33 AM
I just got back from Leavenworth tonight and I thought this would be a good picture to add to this threat. This is from the National Cemetary at Leavenworth. Coming around the corner at the cemetary and seeing this view was just awe inspiring to me...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/JaseyWeekend/LeavenworthNationalMonument1070205.jpg