PDA

View Full Version : KH Monthly Challenge: JULY

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-03-2005, 03:12 PM
YIKES!
I can't believe I made it to July 3rd and forgot! Thanks to Debbie for the gentle reminder :-) And thanks to everyone else who looks forward to the challenges! (i feel loved)

SPECIAL THANKS to Sara who came up with a FABULOUS idea for this month's challenge: The Beach!
Not to step on Hildie's toes, but I would like to suggest a beach theme. Sea shells, sand colored things, cabana stripes, bikinis, cabana boys, cabana striped bikinis for cabana boys...
Even if I had toes, you wouldn't have stepped on them: this is agreat idea! (I was thinking of it for August, but I like it better for July!)

SO! Knit the beach! Beginners, there's a great shell purse on the patterns page. Let's see all those S&B knitted bikinis. Maybe a knitted beach ball?

Happy Knitting!
Hildie

Egeria
07-09-2005, 04:41 AM
Cool! I'm knitting a booga bag. Perfect for carting the sun cream to the beach! And the trashy novel! The sandals, the swimsuit, towels etc etc etc!

Debbie
07-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I just spend 3 days in Naples, Fl. Knitting about and on the beach!

feministmama
07-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Even if I had toes, you wouldn't have stepped on them:

You don't have toes? :??

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Debbie, that's a great picture! Where are you. though???

FM, of course I have toes. A few of them anyway.

Debbie
07-09-2005, 09:51 PM
I live in Orlando. My sister is here from Texas and we just spend 3 days on the Gulf Coast..... getting back to central Florida just ahead of the hurricane! The picture is taken on Naples Beach.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-10-2005, 08:49 AM
:-) I meant where are you in the picture!! ;-) Debbie, what pattern is that? It looks like one from the site I'm using for this KAL.

I'm making the dolphin dishcloth (http://www.knittingknonsense.com/dollydolphin.html) pattern, but, I'm using the landlubber version (http://www.knittingknonsense.com/dolphinlandlubber.html). I'm going to attempt to make it coaster-sized. :thinking: I'm using MOP YARN!!! Yeah this stuff (http://tuwaymops.com/images/Mop_Master_specialty_products%2060%20reduced.jpg)! !! My LYS sells it, it was super cheap :-) And I found some hemp string in my bead stash with sea shells tied/glued on it, so I'm going to try to knit that in for a border, or mayve add it afterwards. yay!

Debbie
07-10-2005, 10:41 AM
I am taking the picture!!!! We only do "neck up" at the beach and I couldn't figure how to knit that high! The pattern is from that same site! I didn't see the dolphin... that is SOOOOOO cute. I picked up some sea shells that have holes in them, thinking I might try knitting them on something :)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-19-2005, 01:01 AM
Okay, all, July is more than halfway over!!!!! I don't see a lot of participation here, so let's get a move on!

punkhippiemom
07-29-2005, 09:39 PM
HERE I AM!!!! Better late than never, right?
(I just discovered the knitalongs, so please forgive me for being late...)
I am knitting an adorable backless top for my soon to be niece (BIL's GF's daughter)... I got the idea from skimming through - ta-da!! - dishcloth patterns!! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-29-2005, 09:52 PM
LATE??? what do you mean.... you are entry #2!!!!!! (i'm embarassingly on row 3 and that's it :oops:)

LOVE the top: do they make it in DD?

And, do you just make that up yourself? Just from looking at dishcloths????? :cheering: that is FABULOUS!!!!!

Ingrid
07-29-2005, 09:54 PM

:roflhard: That was my first thought! Where do I put the other one?

DotMom61
07-30-2005, 10:57 AM

:roflhard: That was my first thought! Where do I put the other one?

:rofling:http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/077.gif :roflhard: http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/077.gif :rofling: http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/077.gif :roflhard:

punkhippiemom
07-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Well this one's for a 4 yo, but I'm sure I could modify the pattern for ya! ;)

Yeah, I started to make a discloth and I though... "Gee that looks an awful lot like a bikini top..." But you don't want 4yo's running around in bikinis (least I don't) so I thought I'd make it into a halter instead.
And it actually qualifies for the July KAL because I didn't start it until the 16th - And I'm done !! :cheering: (well, almost, I just have to finish the i-cord)
Trinity's going to be out this way tomorrow, maybe I can get her to model it for y'all.

DotMom61
07-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Well, it's really cute! I can't wait to see the finished project! I'm sure she'll love it.

punkhippiemom
07-30-2005, 06:45 PM
I was doing the bottom in eyelets, but I didn't like the way they were turning out, so I pulled it out back to the waist and did the little "bows" instead...so, here's my "something beachy", blocking and ready to go...
Thanks for all the :thumbsup: !!

rebecca
07-30-2005, 07:21 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: VERY, VERY STUNNING, BEC!!! Absolutely beautiful....and beachy :thumbsup:
I :heart: :heart: it.....if only I could fit in something like that again....ahhh the memories :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: EXCELLENT JOB, my friend :thumbsup:

Ingrid
07-30-2005, 07:32 PM
Phenomenal! Contratulations! I'd put an emoticon here, but Rebecca used them all up!

punkhippiemom
07-30-2005, 09:13 PM
:oops: :oops: aw shucks, y'all...:angelgrin: Yer gonna make my head swell :oops:

Phenomenal! Contratulations! I'd put an emoticon here, but Rebecca used them all up!
:rofling: she may have missed one or two...

Debbie
07-30-2005, 09:18 PM
That is SO cute !

DotMom61
07-30-2005, 11:20 PM
I love the little bows!! I can't wait to see the model. I bet she loves it! Has she seen it in progress?

punkhippiemom
07-30-2005, 11:24 PM
She saw it once, just after I started the waistband part - she's really petite, and I wanted to make sure that all the correct bits were covered- but she hasn't seen it since... I'm excited, I'm going to give it to her tomorrow... I have 7 (!!) other nieces, and 1 (maybe 2) more on the way... Good thing these knit up so quick :XX: :XX: :XX:

punkhippiemom
07-31-2005, 08:34 PM
Ok, here she is! Her mommy very kindly gave me permission to post her...
Unfortunately, the pic turned out a little blurry - I still had the camera set for taking close-ups :doh:
I also gave her that little purse - it was an experiment in double knitting that went horribly awry, so I turned it into a bag. She immediately shoved her doll into it, so I assume she liked it :thumbsup:
BTW, where are the other July projects??? I feel like the Lone Ranger here...

Ingrid
07-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Adorable! :D

DotMom61
07-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Oh, that turned out so nice!!! What a cute model! :-)

KellyK
07-31-2005, 11:57 PM
VERRRRY cute!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Oh I love it!!!!! I'll bet Amy would love to post your pattern (If you wouldlove to share it!!)

punkhippiemom
08-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Well thanks! :oops: I was actually thinking about doing that, giving a bit back to our wonderful Amy... I've been trying to write it up, but apparently I'm as good at writing patterns as I am at reading them :??

But you're changing the subject here... :fingerwag: where's your adorable dolphin washcloth? You said you had three rows done...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-01-2005, 08:50 PM
uhhh... yeah.....

i could post a pic of my 3 rows if you really want to see.... :oops:

punkhippiemom
08-01-2005, 10:04 PM
:roflhard: OK, you don't have to...
So anyway, after much brainbusting and trying to recover my rather rusty math skills, I have a *1st draft* pattern for the top, and I'm going to post for test knitters on the General forum before I see if Amy wants it. I tried to adjust for 2 different sizes, my guinea pigs - er, I mean, test knitters - get to see if the sizes actually work or not (Dcup is still in development- sorry)...So here goes!!

Boy my brain hurts....

MaryS
08-29-2005, 12:11 PM
I joined the July KAL in August. I liked the pattern Hildie picked for her dolphin washcloth ( thanks for the link, Hildie), but I wanted to knit potholders :?? - so - I used the landlubber version, and adjusted the pattern so there wasn't so much "white space" around the dolphin, knitted two small clothes, the second with the dolphin jumping the other way, did about three inches of icord on the bind off row of the second cloth, then did single crochet all the way around to join them together. I ended up with a reversible double thick potholder about 7.5 inches square with a hanging loop at the top corner.
It came out great, if I do say so myself. :cheering:
I ended up making 2 potholders and the full version with the waves as a dishcloth and gave them to the woman whose beach house I rent every summer. She loved them, and had done some redecorating this year with a dolphin theme, so they fit right in! :happydance:
I just got back from the beach yesterday, so I have a lot of KH to catch up on, but I wanted to share this - my first KAL. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the FOs, but I got the Sugar N Cream yarn on sale for 1.29 so it was a great inexpensive hostess gift, and really fast too!
I had a great time, found a fun LYS, bought some new patterns, did some fun knitting, and a really great jigsaw puzzle entitled "KNITTING STASH".
I really missed KH though so its good to be back! :thumbsup:

Mary

Ingrid
08-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Welcome Back!!! :cheering:

punkhippiemom
08-29-2005, 12:38 PM
It's nice to see someone joining in, better lae than never - which reminds me, Hilde... haven't seen yours yet...