PDA

View Full Version : I'M IN KNITPICKS!!!

rebecca
07-11-2005, 09:47 PM
http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50395220&yarnid=5420119
:shock: OMGOODNESS, I have had a horrible time keeping my mouth closed until this moment!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
A few months ago, I guess around April because I didn't start knittng socks until Jan or Feb and made up this pattern around March...I am now told that I 'designed' and I am no longer allowed to say 'made up'. Then I saw that KnitPicks (my very favorite place) was looking for new designs. I thought :thinking: what the hay...I made up, excuse me, designed a sock; I'll send it in and I did, a very roughly written pattern and pictures of the ones I had 1st made out of sockotta with smaller (way smaller fringies). THEN ONE DAY :shock: I got an email that they wanted my design and a whole bunch of other stuff said...I was :shock: stunned for the 1st time...not as stunned as I am now, seeing it on the website! They sent me the yarn and here we have it...that's the very short version. I will never ever take another pattern for granted, they are very hard to write and I had to readjust my knitting to fit within the sock gauge (I'm a tight knitter so I always just recalculate to fit my knitting, now I had to do it the other way around and that was hard!). I was very, very blessed in that my test knitter that had to sign off on everything is LYS owner and has been in the knitting biz in one way or another for almost 30 years and has published many patterns, has one now in Family Circle Knitting. She guided me to the magazines to read that had the 'general' pattern format and she told where I needed to be clearer here and there, but in the end, when I took her the final product she was very pleased with the sock and the pattern. Patterns are really hard to write. Those of you that do regularly...I tip my hat to you. Scribbling directions on a piece of paper is far different from writing it correctly.
All that long story...I had to tell you all of it now because I've been holding it in for so long and I got an email today that it would be up tomorrow and I looked tonite....AND THERE THEY ARE....MY SOCKS...I'M A SOCK DESIGNER..AHHHH :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: ...I'm a bit EXCITED, you guys!!
I'm so sorry that I kept ya'll out of the loop, kinda had to. And I haven't been around much bc I went from making 3 pairs of socks in a week to taking 3 weeks to make a pair of socks...and I was ill and I had to do that afghan.
Soooo...there you have my news....I'M IN KNITPICKS!!!!!!
Sorry for such a long post, but I had to tell ya'll everything that I have been holding in for over 2 months!!

Silver
07-11-2005, 09:53 PM
THAT IS TOTALLY WICKED!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Aby
07-11-2005, 09:55 PM
WAY TO GO! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

snephenie
07-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Rebecca, that is so awesome and they look GREAT!

Debbie
07-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Rebecca ! They are SOOOOOOOOO cute! Congratulations!

rebecca
07-11-2005, 10:02 PM
:notworthy: Thank you...thank ya'll so much...I'm walking on air...just floating around the room...nice side effect...lol!!!
I'm still very :blush: sorry that I kept it a secret from you guys for so long. Now I'm super excited to tell you about them :D ! And even more excited that you like them.....THANKS YA'LL!!! A BUNCH!!!

Ingrid
07-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Wow! How exciting and rewarding for you! I just don't have the words, but you seem happy without them. Congratulations! :cheering: :happydance: :thumbsup: :notworthy:

brendajos
07-11-2005, 10:12 PM
aww and i was going to come and post it for you sock knitting people! verrrrrry cool. they are quite cute....now if only i would take a chance of actually trying a pattern more complicated than a seed stitch!

Rennagayle
07-11-2005, 10:23 PM
TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!! :thumbsup: :cheering: :D

Just think, we can all say, we knew you when. :notworthy: :mrgreen:

LisaD715
07-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Rebecca..........you totally rock!! They are beautiful!!!! You are teh knit goddess! :XX: :XX: :XX:

BinkyKat
07-11-2005, 10:36 PM
OMG! :shock:
Right before I saw this thread I checked my emails and I got the Knitpicks email and thought, "Cool fringed sock, might actually try learning to do socks"
Way to go Rebecca! So then, if a person gets the pattern, how much to you charge to autograph?
Now I really wanna be a member of the Sock Makers Club!!!
:cheering: :thumbsup: :cheering: :thumbsup: :cheering: :thumbsup:

rebecca
07-11-2005, 10:40 PM
OMGosh...KnitPicks has them in an email?! I didn't know that...WOW!!
Girl...I'll autograph for free, paleease!! u so funny!!
Listen, brenda...if I can do this, anybody can...just take that dive!
I learned continental method of knitting over the weekend...bet you already knew that!
Gosh...Ya'll are all so great, you're making me cry...for real.
I'm sorry, ya'll are so sweet, I've got to go compose myself

Aby
07-11-2005, 10:41 PM
yeppers.. I got it in my email as well.. I'm proud of ya! :thumbsup:

BinkyKat
07-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Shor'nuff did Girl! I get a Knitpics "newslettter" and right there it says in the subject line: "Exciting NEW sock patterns at Knitpicks.com" and there it is in all it's fringy loveliness!
I am so psyched I found this site, we all get so vaclempt (sp?) at each other's accomplishments!
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

JGM
07-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Congrats Rebecca! I like the socks, aside from the fringe, too girly for me to wear :) maybe I can make them for my GF, but cool nonetheless! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-11-2005, 11:21 PM
WOW rebecca!!! That totally rocks! WTG :thumbsup:

VickiIL
07-11-2005, 11:32 PM
WOW Rebecca! That is awesome. I just downloaded the pattern and am going to order the yarn this week. Those are FABULOUS socks! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
07-11-2005, 11:39 PM
:shock: OMG!!! :shock:

Well, wouldja just LOOK at YOU! 8-) All FAMOUS and everything!!

GREAT job, Rebecca! :cheering: Im really really really really really happy for you, sweets!! :happydance:

Julie
07-11-2005, 11:50 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Congratulations Rebecca!! That's so cool!!!

rebecca
07-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Okay, I had to go away for a while bc ya'll made me cry last time & u r doing it again...THANKS EVERYBODY!! Ya'll have NO IDEA how much your support means to me, it's incredible!
FYI...I read the pattern and found a couple of errors and I emailed KnitPicks and I'm sure they will have it fixed tomorrow, they are easy fixes, but if u need to know now, just pm or email me or something.
Yeah, I was right...ya'll have me crying again because of all of your support and kind words and sweetness! I luv u guys...gotta say it!!
Ya'll are all just too special! I'm excited about getting my KnitPicks email in the morning..WOW!
I do have to admit...knitting socks is just fun, fun, fun!! My sweet husband got me a couple of very cool sock books and yarn...and I'm ready to go...next..I learn the knitting from toe to cuff method!!
Thanks again...I just can't say that enough...ya'll are WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL AND MORE WONDERFUL
I've got to go compose myself again. My DH has gone to bed, it's 12:30 and I look like an idiot crying in front of the computer....lol...all by myself...it is rather funny...lol :waving: :waving:

Nuno930
07-12-2005, 08:37 AM
:cheering: :cheering: How exciting!

kimmie
07-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Rebecca,
How cool is that??? I'm so excited for you! The socks are adorable and you are a DESIGNER. Congratulations!!
:) kimmie

ekgheiy
07-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Many Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for ya! ;)

suziehomemaker
07-12-2005, 08:56 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I just saw that sock pattern in my email from KnitPicks and I thought about ordering it before I even saw your post. It looks so cute. Great job!

kemp
07-12-2005, 09:19 AM
YAY! Congrats Rebecca! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
07-12-2005, 09:24 AM
I do have to admit...knitting socks is just fun, fun, fun!! My sweet husband got me a couple of very cool sock books and yarn...and I'm ready to go...next..I learn the knitting from toe to cuff method!!

Next step is writing your OWN very cool sock book! :cheering:

dustinac
07-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Congrats Rebecca!!! :cheering: I like those socks haven't tried socks yet... I need to get over my fear of trying something new!!! LOL Was looking for something to make my mom for Christmas maybe I should try the socks :D

brendajos
07-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Congrats Rebecca!!! :cheering: I like those socks haven't tried socks yet... I need to get over my fear of trying something new!!! LOL Was looking for something to make my mom for Christmas maybe I should try the socks :D

you know you can't do that to me! You know how bad presents are for me...knowing what someone else is getting is even worse...sheeeeeeeeesh! :hiding: :angelgrin:

dustinac
07-12-2005, 11:01 AM
you know you can't do that to me! You know how bad presents are for me...knowing what someone else is getting is even worse...sheeeeeeeeesh! :hiding: :angelgrin:

:shock: you didn't see that!! shhhhh don't tell MOM

KellyK
07-12-2005, 11:29 AM
I DIDNT KNOW YOU TWO WERE SISTERS!! :cheering:

brendajos
07-12-2005, 11:34 AM
lol...we aren't....i just happen to have access to tell her mother what she is getting for christmas...

dustina and i "met" because we both collect Boyds Bears. She got the brilliant idea of starting a little "crafty" group (though some of us don't really believe it applies to us like it does to her!--you should have SEEN what she was doing to plastic spoons not so long ago! :shock: ) and her mom is part of that group as well.

she started knitting and was posting in that group about this really cool site she had found with videos and i said "are you KIDDING! i stalk that site all the time!"...lol....so there ya are...

amy
07-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Oh my goodness!! Rebecca, congratulations!!!! :balloons:

That is SOOOOO GREAT!!!!!!

Yay, those are REALLY great socks, you are so creative, what a great edging for a sock to use that fringe!!!!!

WTG! :cheering:

jodstr2
07-12-2005, 02:00 PM
veeeeeeeeerrrryyyyyy cool!!!! :D :D :D

congratulations, Rebecca!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rebecca
07-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Hey everybody and thanks again, so very, very much...ya'll are all so very sweet, it's very, very :blush: humbling. It means more than ya'll will EVER know to me, that you like my socks :D . You guys are the BEST :thumbsup: !!

LisaD715
07-12-2005, 04:18 PM
[quote="brendajos"]dustina and i "met" because we both collect Boyds Bears. quote]

I collect :inlove: Boyd's :inlove: TOO!!!!!! Have ya'll been to the Gettysburg shop yet?!?!?! Bring ya checkbook, it won't be cheap!!

foldedbird
07-12-2005, 04:21 PM
WTG Rebecca... kudos to you.

brendajos
07-12-2005, 04:32 PM
dustina and i "met" because we both collect Boyds Bears. quote]

I collect :inlove: Boyd's :inlove: TOO!!!!!! Have ya'll been to the Gettysburg shop yet?!?!?! Bring ya checkbook, it won't be cheap!!

nah...i haven't and i am pretty sure Dustina hasn't either....i certainly can't remember her talking about it anyway...hrmmm

I was in clarion this year for their event though, and have gone every year for the last 4 years now...but i spent waaaaaay more on "artist bears" than i did on Boyds...i am actually thinning out my boyds collection cuz it has gotten OUT of control...lol

rebecca
07-12-2005, 04:38 PM
:waving: HI again everybody! I had mentioned that there were errors in the pattern; well, they have been corrected and were done so much earlier; please forgive me for not having said so at an earlier time.
Again :blush: Thanks so much for everything ya'll are saying; it means the world to me that you like them ;) .
Thanks
Again...errors corrected

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey Rebecca, since so many people seem like they're going to do the socks, why not start a KAL in the KAL forum? That way, people whoa re making them can ask the DESIGNER if they run into a sticky spot!! What do you think?

wildforyarn
07-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Way to go Rebecca! :cheering: I too just checked my e-mail and saw the sock and thought it would be a great pattern to make some people for Christmas! I had no idea that it was going to be from someone in our group! Yea!!!! Rock on! :balloons:

BinkyKat
07-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Hildie, great idea :thumbsup:
Or at least as we all do our "Rebecca socks" we could submit pics for a sock gallery...
:D

dustinac
07-13-2005, 09:23 AM
lol...we aren't....i just happen to have access to tell her mother what she is getting for christmas...

dustina and i "met" because we both collect Boyds Bears. She got the brilliant idea of starting a little "crafty" group (though some of us don't really believe it applies to us like it does to her!--you should have SEEN what she was doing to plastic spoons not so long ago! :shock: ) and her mom is part of that group as well.

she started knitting and was posting in that group about this really cool site she had found with videos and i said "are you KIDDING! i stalk that site all the time!"...lol....so there ya are...

LOL oh bdjs ya mean ya don't think of me as that annoying little sister that has a million questions for ya a day :verysad: ??? LOL I ask her questions I'm to shy to ask on here I'd be lost without her!! LOL ya know JD hid the plastic stuff after that attempt of crafting.. I think he was afraid I"d burn the house down and he didn't belive me I could melt it into a flower but the smell icccckkk!! Don't let her fool ya she is very crafty!!

LisaD715 are you an Fober? I've never been to Gettysburg wanna go but when I go I wanna be able to spend unmentionable amts of money and not have to worry so I might not ever be able to go :lol:

Rebecca~ Thank you so much for taking me under the sock wing and congrats again!! :happydance:

1to1
07-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Rebecca,

You are absolutely amazing!!! I haven't even attempted socks yet. I can't image designing one. Actually, having you name on a pattern. WOW!! :thumbsup:

You must be walking around looking like this :D .

CONGRATS!!!!

1to1
07-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Rebecca,

You are absolutely amazing!!! I haven't even attempted socks yet. I can't image designing one. Actually, having you name on a pattern. WOW!! :thumbsup:

CONGRATS!!!!

1to1
07-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Rebecca,

CONGRATS!!!!

rebecca
07-13-2005, 01:57 PM
:waving: Hey everybody!! I am actually floating around looking like this :D and this :happydance: but...mostly I'm still this :shock: , in a bit of shock...lol!!
I am absolutely overwhelmed by what everybody is saying...ya'll are all so very, very sweet and kind. The fact that you like my socks and have these great things to say just means more to me than I can express!
Hilde, girls I would love to do a KAL, but I can't do it for a little while because when I went to the doc Tues. he put me back on bedrest and (oops) I've not done what he said bc that's the night the socks came out online...what does he expect?! I think it's a great idea to do it and take pictures of everyone's socks, that would be so much fun. I feel like I am letting ya'll down after you've said all of these wonderful things. If ya'll want to go ahead and start one I can check in a couple of times a day. My granddaughter's 2nd bday is this month and I told her mom I was going to make a sundress for her (I hope) to wear for her bday party and another nephew is getting married July 30 (just found out) and since his cousin got an afghan, he expects one; so I have to make an afghan.
I'm not like all of ya'll that can do all of those projects at one time...I can only do one, don't know why, I guess it's the way I'm wired...lol. Would ya'll mind waiting a bit...or starting without me if you would like, like I said, I can check in and answer any questions. I'm so :blush: sorry that I can't jump in and make a pair right away. I mean, I am really sorry, I feel like such a dink after ya'll all have said these wonderful things AND you want to make the socks that I, ME, REBECCA designed and I can't do the KAL right now. Maybe while I'm in bed (which is where I'm going after this post) I can get a lot done on the afghan and I will reach the point where I want to stop and do something else and it will be socks!! Shoot, then it will have to be granddaughter's dress. I'm thinking outloud... :roflhard: :roflhard: ...and typing what I'm saying outloud...I've lost my mind over all of this business of seeing those socks that I knitted on KP website...lol! I'll check back a little later and ya'll let me know how you would like to do this bc I am very, very honored that you want to do the KAL and I will do be good with whatever ya'll decide. Shoot, it doesn't mean that I have to make the socks whilce you are doing it. So...let me know and I'll check back...like I just said...duh :doh: I just love you guys and don't want to disappoint you.
I :heart: :heart: :heart: ALL OF THE :XX: :XY: :X: HERE....YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!!!!

Susan
07-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Congratulations!!!! I saw them and think they are very cute!!!!
wish I was talented enough to design....

:XX:

Susan
07-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Congratulations!!!! I saw them and think they are very cute!!!!
wish I was talented enough to design....

:XX:

DotMom61
07-13-2005, 04:49 PM
OMG! :shock:
Right before I saw this thread I checked my emails and I got the Knitpicks email and thought, "Cool fringed sock, might actually try learning to do socks"
Way to go Rebecca! So then, if a person gets the pattern, how much to you charge to autograph?
Now I really wanna be a member of the Sock Makers Club!!!
:cheering: :thumbsup: :cheering: :thumbsup: :cheering: :thumbsup:

What Binky said! I was just looking @ that pattern this morning and thinking how much my DD would *love* those socks!!! VERY COOL!!! Yay Rebecca! :cheering:

DotMom61
07-13-2005, 04:54 PM
dustina and i "met" because we both collect Boyds Bears.

You should see my DD's bedroom! She has just about every Boyd's bear that was made in the past 7 years. Her name is "Bailey." ;)

rebecca
07-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks a gazillion times over, ya'll are so wonderfully sweet & supportive :D !! I wanted to show everyone what my husband had emailed me, but you can't link to the picture..So I decided to show you and just post the picture.

rebecca
07-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Now I MUST tell you all that it's a website: http://churchsigngenerator.com/...My DH will do anything for me, short of breaking the law!! :roflhard: :roflhard: I was saying, "Who did that and where and why, omgoodness, who got permission for that?" Then he told me it was a website. He's ordering the magnet for us.
Thought ya'll might think it funny ;) . Okay, I'm headed back to bed, I'll be back later to chat...I LOVE YOU GUYS!! Ya'll are just wonderfully supportive, a great group of people...I can't say that enough!!

benniesma
07-13-2005, 06:27 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!

They are great looking! Makes me want to try knitting a sock!

LisaD715
07-13-2005, 06:55 PM
LisaD715 are you an Fober?

YES Ma'am....love that stuff, exclusives here I come.....I have been to Gettysburg once, and will not get to go before I move, but I will be back....there is a new one in Tenn I think.

DotMom61
07-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Now I MUST tell you all that it's a website: http://churchsigngenerator.com/...My DH will do anything for me, short of breaking the law!! :roflhard: :roflhard: I was saying, "Who did that and where and why, omgoodness, who got permission for that?" Then he told me it was a website. He's ordering the magnet for us.
Thought ya'll might think it funny ;) . Okay, I'm headed back to bed, I'll be back later to chat...I LOVE YOU GUYS!! Ya'll are just wonderfully supportive, a great group of people...I can't say that enough!!

That is so cool! Did you see that you can order the signs as refrigerator magnets? How funny!

Yvonne
07-14-2005, 07:36 AM
Rebecca, congratulations! It's a pretty cool feeling, huh? They are very cute socks. I'm still waiting for the publication of the four designs I sold earlier this year, still having to keep my mouth shut (it's hard! :) about who/what.
Now, did you cash that check or frame it? :thumbsup:

dustinac
07-14-2005, 10:08 AM
[quote=YES Ma'am....love that stuff, exclusives here I come.....I have been to Gettysburg once, and will not get to go before I move, but I will be back....there is a new one in Tenn I think.[/quote]

ohh next time you see me on the FoB board say HEY!!!

Rebecca :roflhard: love that sign I had to make some up last night LOL dh just shook his head!! guess what I went to my knitting class last night and the teacher showed me how to use dpns I'm not afraid anymore!! Now to find somewhere that sells them around here might have to go the internet way... Thanks again!!! :lol:

kemp
07-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks a gazillion times over, ya'll are so wonderfully sweet & supportive :D !! I wanted to show everyone what my husband had emailed me, but you can't link to the picture..So I decided to show you and just post the picture.

OMG, that is too funny! Your DH rocks.

Sorry to hear about your Dr. visit. Bedrest must be awful when you have all those fun knitting projects waiting. On the upside, you can knit in bed, right?

Soxy
07-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Rebecca your socks rock!!!

Now that you have done one pattern you have to do more!!! You change patterns all the time just start writting them down and changing them into patterns.

This group isn't going to take "No!" for an answer!!!

rebecca
07-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Knitting in bed is what has saved me over this past year. I've had this disability for almost 20 years and discovering knitting has really been a lifesaver...in so many ways!
Isn't that sign too cool?! My husband is the best...lol!!
Dustinac, I knew you could do it, sweetie!! You'll be knitting socks in no time!!
Again everybody, you humble me so with your support & kindness and I'm so HAPPY :D :D that you like the sock pattern ;)

knitqueen
07-14-2005, 02:29 PM
I intend to make this pattern sometime in the future -- it's SO cute! :heart: I've been experimenting a bit with that loop thing, and I just can't get it :thinking:

rebecca
07-14-2005, 03:21 PM
YOU are are so very lucky!! When I learned it it was bc my LYS had a pair of socks with this fringe on it and I asked if she had a pattern and she told me, no...just crochet it on a regular pair of socks. Well, I can't crochet so I was bummed :( . Then I was looking through a book that I had recently gotten in the mail called 'Folk Bags' and there are a couple of purses in it with the same technique!! I was thrilled, but I couldn't get it for quite some time, either, so I practiced and I practiced and I said forget it; then I came back to it and practiced some more, and forever (or so it seemed at the time...lol!) and I finally got it...on regular size needles and single points, then I practiced on those for a while before I ever tried it on socks. NOW, let me tell you why YOU are so LUCKY...VERY, VERY LUCKY!!! Because our sweet Amy has the technique right here!!!!!!http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/
Had I known that I would have kissed her feet...lol!! I just saw it the other day when I was learning to continental st. from the cds that I got from Amy, yep, I've been a thrower the whole year that I've been knitting and never even bothered to look at any of these videos until I got my cds from Amy and now I can knit in the continental method...thanks to our AMY and so many other things, like I'm gonna do an intarsia scarf and fair isle socks. Anyway...all that said to tell you that when I got to the advance tech. sections I saw the area for making the loop st and it's the same technique that I used!! She is a great teacher and you will pick it up by watching Amy; it just takes a little practice. I'm so EXCITED that it's on here AND that it's the same method bc I've found out that there are other methods for the same st...and they are hard; but, if anyone needs me to; I can probably find the alternative methods; but I'm sure that you won't bc Amy will walk you right through it AND....THIS IS VERY, VERY COOL, she even explains the double loop and you can do yours like that and they will have twice as much fringe...that would be too cute!! After I saw that this past weekend I'm thinking about trying a pair with the double loop (I didn't know there was such a thing before, I must confess :blush: ...lol). So go watch the video and practice with single points and bigger yarn 1st, okay?

Ellen Edwards
07-15-2005, 11:52 PM
:shock: Rebecca--Congratulations on your pattern being published .You are a DESIGNER--how very cool is that?? The way you cheer everyone on :heart: is one of the reasons everyone has responded so much I think...even though I'm new, I can see that. And I hope you're getting the rest the doctor told you to get. Kudos! :cheering: