PDA

View Full Version : OT - What is for dinner tonight?

Nuno930
07-12-2005, 03:16 PM
I am thinking it will be Chick-none UN- fried rice. Doesn't sound particularly appetizing, but I do have all the components :rollseyes:

Contiknitter Kelly
07-12-2005, 03:27 PM
:thinking: So would that be just rice?

Nuno930
07-12-2005, 03:30 PM
No, vegetarian chicken strips. Instead of "fried" rice I just used steamed (brown) rice w/ seasoning.

rebecca
07-12-2005, 03:34 PM
steamed brown rice is very yummy :drooling:

Contiknitter Kelly
07-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Oh thank heavens! I was afraid you might need an intervention to help curb a yarn addiction :D so you can pay for food!

jodstr2
07-12-2005, 03:47 PM
carbonara. I think. depends on if I have the energy to make it.

kemp
07-12-2005, 03:59 PM
mmm...I have black beans with cajun spices and andouille sausage on the stove right now! Amazing I have time to cook with all the time I have spent here and knitting today! :)

Nuno...what spices do you put in your brown rice?

LisaD715
07-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Last night was good, meatloaf with fresh summer veggies - corn, green beans and peas.

Tonight, we are eating a quick meal, eggs in a nest and maple sausages.

I just got kitchen cotton to make dish cloths.......woot!! :XX: :XX:

brendajos
07-12-2005, 04:15 PM
auuuuuuuuuuugh...i was gonna get the chicken out to make jambalaya last night and forgot...hrmmm....i forgot to buy clams at the store last night too so no clam sauce... :rollseyes: not sure but it is starting to sound like a fast food kinda night...*sigh*

Nuno930
07-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Nuno...what spices do you put in your brown rice?
Usually a little ginger, garlic, soy sauce and rice vinegar. Mmmm, I'm hungry. I guess it is starting to sound better. To bad I have another 3 hours till dinner :roflhard:

kemp
07-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Bummer...you have to taste it though to make sure its ok, right? ;) That might cut down the waiting time a bit!

koolbreeze
07-12-2005, 04:24 PM
we had bacon, eggs and grits last night... i don't know about tonight... i really want some oxtail soup,,,, but that takes like 2 days to fix.

Contiknitter Kelly
07-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Ok Lisa,
What is eggs in a nest? Possibly toast? Wait, would it be hashbrowns built up to look like a nest?

leapinfrog
07-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi All -

I haven't tried it yet, but someone advised me to kick up my brown rice by replacing one cup of water with one cup of salsa...almost like spanish rice.

JGM
07-12-2005, 06:49 PM
auuuuuuuuuuugh...i was gonna get the chicken out to make jambalaya last night and forgot...hrmmm....i forgot to buy clams at the store last night too so no clam sauce... :rollseyes: not sure but it is starting to sound like a fast food kinda night...*sigh*

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Jambalaya....too bad I'm having pizza tonight. :(

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-12-2005, 06:53 PM
ooo egg in a next... it's kinf of like french toast: butter 2 sides of the bread, cut a hole in the middle (we use a shot glass), put the bread in the pan, crack an egg in the hole, and cook until desired donness(i like mine runny, but DH cooks his hard).

Since I am always home alone at night during the week, dinner usually consist of one of the following:
almond butter and jelly on toasted rye
special K or sticks and twigs, whichever cereal we have.
celery w/ cow cheese
grilled cabbage, if we have any left over from the weekend.
tomato sandwich
vidalia, cheese and onion sandwich

I am having the last one tonight :-)

KellyK
07-12-2005, 07:26 PM
I had peach and cherry czech dumplings. With butter and cinnamon/sugar.

tab
07-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Your egg in a nest sounds like what we call a popeye at our place. It's interesting how the same thing gets different names in different places.
For me, dinner is probably going to be a toasted tomato sandwich. I've been having cravings for those things like you wouldn't believe. But if we have no bread, as I suspect is the case, I think some pasta with meat sauce would be in order. I know we have last year's tomato sauce frozen somewhere, and I'm pretty sure there's ground beef lurking behind the summer sausage.

KellyK
07-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Your egg in a nest sounds like what we call a popeye at our place. It's interesting how the same thing gets different names in different places.
I once dated a guy that called those "Toilet Bowl Joes" :??

Ingrid
07-12-2005, 07:38 PM

I've always known them as Rocky Mountain Eggs.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-12-2005, 08:55 PM
I did some research (because i have nothing better to do) and it's also called:
Frog in a Hole
Frog in a Pond
Toad in a Hole--this is what we usually call it
Monkey in a Hole
Egg in a Basket
Birdie’s Nest
Egg in a Nest
One Eyed Jack

i think we should come up with a knitting-inspired name for it....

feministmama
07-12-2005, 09:10 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard:

feministmama
07-12-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm havin chicken bento from Rice Junkies. $4.75 of yummy teriyaki goodness. I'm at work and I usually get something cheap and quick instead of haulin both lunch *and* dinner with me in my little rolly polly back pack thingy. It's so tough being a student/mama/worker and eating right.

BinkyKat
07-12-2005, 10:45 PM
i think we should come up with a knitting-inspired name for it....
How's about we call it....
Egg Swatches

Sometime for something quick for hubby, I'll make a fried egg sandwich, fry and egg, poke the yolk and flip, when firm put on a slice of good cheese till a little melty and then onto some crusty toasted bread... mmmmm.
as a kid i didn't like grilled cheese sandwiches :shock: so mom would make me a "grilled" pb&j, basically pb&j one two pieces of toast and then she'd flip it on the griddle once or twice so mine would be prepared like everyone else. I guess I was a hi maintenance kid back then... lol . however, that was the limit, mom made it very plain that she was NOT a short order cook, we had two choices... "take it" or "leave it" :roflhard: :roflhard:
Oh, and so far my supper has been a can of Pepsi and butter flavored pretzel sticks... I sound like one of those Lean Cuisine commercials...
Hey, maybe we should have a seperate blog for recipe sharing...
I read cookbooks and craft books like most people read novels... :happydance:

KellyK
07-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Eggs Intarsia?

LisaD715
07-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Glad you go the eggs in a nest education!! lol Binky, I love to read cookbooks too, my mother and I both collect and read the same way. She has a HUGE selection.....that is the only thing I have asked for. What is your favorite cookbook? I was given the Good Houskeeping Illustrated Cookbook when I got married (my dad gave it to each of us when we got married) and it is still my favorite cook book to this day. It is VERY well worn now, but I use it so often!

BinkyKat
07-13-2005, 12:12 AM
kk, eggs intarsia, how provencal! :D
Lisa, my fave cook books are church/community group books, tried and true granny recipes and such. I have demanded my mom specify in her will that I get all her cookbooks and my grammie's recipes and homekeeping notes, like a bit of depression era history!
I also love my Betty Crocker book I got when dh and I first set up housekeeping over 10 yrs ago. And also by BC Cooky book as it's a reproduction of one from the 60's and I think my mom has an original as it contains cookie recipies i remember as a kiddy.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-13-2005, 12:17 AM
LOVE the recipe blog idea!!!!!! Will start one now!!!!

BinkyKat
07-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Yes please do, my also fave recipes and the one's scratched on scrap paper passed around the office or potluch/bbq....
I recommend the site www.allrecipes.com, most are recipies submitted by regular citizens and some from companies like Kraft. They are rated by those that visit the site and try them out, the best way to decide what to try. You can search for what type of thing you're looking for and I have had great luck with the one's I try that are highly rated. Heck, unrated one's are fun to try too! ;)

brendajos
07-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Yes please do, my also fave recipes and the one's scratched on scrap paper passed around the office or potluch/bbq....
I recommend the site www.allrecipes.com, most are recipies submitted by regular citizens and some from companies like Kraft. They are rated by those that visit the site and try them out, the best way to decide what to try. You can search for what type of thing you're looking for and I have had great luck with the one's I try that are highly rated. Heck, unrated one's are fun to try too! ;)

i LOVE allrecipes.com. I rarely try anything that doesn' have a whole bunch of reviews or 4 stars. and i always read nearly all the reviews unless they all seem to say the same thing. almost always there are great tips in those reviews for making the recipe perfect! my favorite recipe site and rarely use any others actually. and all those recipes that grandma use to make but nobody has the recipe too......someone has posted on there!

BinkyKat
07-13-2005, 12:43 AM
My sentiments Xactly Bren :thumbsup:
I read all the reviews too... are you like me in wondering, when a recipe has an overall great rating, that there is always that one "whiner" review that says it was horrible or something went wrong? It made me wonder why one or two people would have such trouble.. until a few of them would mention what they did and it was their own interpretation or change to a procedure...I find myself talking to the computer saying "Well. DUH!" :doh:
I sound so mean, but I'm really fairly harmless... ;)
Oh yeah, another thing I make for din din, when it's cold outside, is.... brace yourself if you have a weak tummy... creamed peas and ham over toast... my dear dad (may he rest in peace) taught me to make white sauce as the first cooking lesson. I later found out it's "Bechamel" per Emeril and such, it's a good bland ND meal... LOL
Anybody like Paula Deen? I hear she is coming to an event here in the fall called "Women's Showcase" I think I'll actually go and see if I can get an autograph of one of her cookbooks I have, her son's are such cuties... ;)

Rorshach
07-13-2005, 01:00 AM
Me, I had Chicken Stroganoff for dinner. and am having beef stew tomorrow evening (slow cooked). Wife wants me to cook chili for the weekend though.

BinkyKat
07-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Wanna guest for dinner the next two nights? :D

kemp
07-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi All -

I haven't tried it yet, but someone advised me to kick up my brown rice by replacing one cup of water with one cup of salsa...almost like spanish rice.

That sounds tasty. Thanks for the tip!

jodstr2
07-13-2005, 10:58 AM
weeeellll, I was too tired to make carbonara. I ordered a pizza.
I'll make the carbonara tonight.

brendajos
07-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Anybody like Paula Deen? I hear she is coming to an event here in the fall called "Women's Showcase" I think I'll actually go and see if I can get an autograph of one of her cookbooks I have, her son's are such cuties... ;)

are you kidding me! i LOVE her...i just wish she wouldn't cook everything in lard...lol. though i suppose her food wouldn't look SOOOO yummy if it wasn't huh?

My queen and i were drooling over her sons too...lol. He was loving on the fact that they were cooking in her kitchen and said they could come over and cook for him any ol' time. The deal is that he has to invite me along too....lol

koolbreeze
07-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Paula is my girl. i love that she cooks like a normal person.she isn't busy trying to make everything healthy. she cooks with real butter and oil... like i do!!! good ole southern cookin with all the fat to go with it!! and her sons!!!! them boys are FINE! :drooling: and i love thier accents! (sorry hubby, but you know i :heart: them white boyzzzz) sorry if i offended anyone, but i had to say it!

kemp
07-13-2005, 12:16 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

You are too funny! Paula does rock. Did you see her wedding on foodtv? It was so fun.

koolbreeze
07-13-2005, 01:32 PM
yeah, i say good for her to go all out after that fool left her back in the day. she did it for herself without him. i bet hes is like DAMN, i should have stayed with her!!! haha to late buddy!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-15-2005, 01:25 AM
well, it's 12:15 am, and i just finished my dinner... three glasses of charles shaw cabernet. they need to amend the warning lable... "Alcoholic beverages may impair your ability to correctly interpret writtten instructions"

btw i'm not a wino... I couldn't sleep, and i DID have a salad about 4 hours ago. :shifty:

kemp
07-15-2005, 04:59 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

I'm having some trouble sleeping too...it's now 5 a.m. and I've been up for about 1 1/2 hours. Ate late and had wine...heartburn waking me up?

Isn't knitting a bit more interesting while intoxicated? ;) There may be a few more mistakes, but at least you don't care then (until the next day when you see it in the cold, sober light of day)!

koolbreeze
07-15-2005, 10:11 AM
1 Tablespoon of vinegar should take care of the heartburn... next time ;)
i know how it sounds but just try it!! :thumbsup:

kemp
07-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the tip...it does sound a little gross, but if it works, I'm all for it!

KNITBIT
07-15-2005, 03:32 PM
We're going out to dinner tonight. We're going to "Don Jose", my fav mexican restaurant. CHIPS n' SALSA!!!!!!!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...........!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! :drooling: DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna have me a cheese enchilada, bean burrito with enchilada sauce poured over it and cheese, and rice n' beans on the side. (you can get the burrito with chicken or beef if you want, but i'm a veggie) ;)

UMMMM....just thinking about it makes me want to <hiccup> already! LOL!
Now if dinner would only hurry up and come already! <sigh>

Bon appétit :thumbsup:

KNITBIT :XX:

KellyK
07-15-2005, 06:11 PM
PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA!! :cheering:

Silver
07-15-2005, 06:33 PM
I *just* put it in the oven... A whole chicken roaster with rosemary, sage, parsley, salt and pepper stuffed under the skin. Later I'll cook fresh asparagus and some wild rice as the side dishes.

I started dinner too late though (it was frozen), it's gonna be 8:30 or so before we eat! :rollseyes:

Jackie M.
07-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Chicken spaghetti. Hubby is cooking it though, so hope it turns out okay.
Jackie

dustinac
07-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Getting ready to take Lasagna out here.. :D

BinkyKat
07-15-2005, 07:23 PM
:shock: Well! There's a message on my machine from one of dh's cohorts saying "meet me at the flying field... bye", short sweet and to the point, dh is nowhere to be found and it's a lovely evening...
soooooo, i guess it's pretzels and carmelcorn for me! LOL
I'll prob have a salad, it's hot here...well, seems like it lately... :lol:

Rorshach
07-15-2005, 10:18 PM
am having BBQ Beef and pork sandwiches. put in all the ingredients this morning into my trusty crock pot, and it should be ready when I get home, although the smell is probably driving my wife mad with hunger :D

Nuno930
07-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Hmmm I had Reeses Pieces tonight. I *swear* I am going back on weight watchers this weekend! :oops:

Anne
07-16-2005, 03:46 PM
A great big bowl of fresh fruit... To lazy to cook plus its hot out... I love the heat but not in the kitchen.

BinkyKat
07-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Tonight... Dippin' Strips Pizza from Pizza Hut...
It is too hot to cook. I have done nothing but surf, a little bit of sorting and not a single other thing... :rollseyes:
It got to 92 here today, and the inside temp of my little house is 88....long story, our central airhasn't been reconnected since dh put in a new furnace...TWO YEARS AGO!!!

Update.... pizza's here! Dinner! :happydance:

kemp
07-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Wow! I would think 92 is pretty hot for ND! How did you stand it?

LisaD715
07-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Red Lobster for dinner today, tomorrow back to cooking, I think I may have forgotten how, have not cooked since Tuesday......

beldaraan
07-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Had sausages, roasted cubed potatoes with garlic, margarine, and seasonings. Dessert was graham crumbs, marshmallows, and chocolate chips (Smores?). ALL done in the barbeque!!!

beldaraan
07-18-2005, 10:51 PM
I've already had supper, but I knew this is what I was going to have anyway. Honey roasted garlic steak (medium rare), green beans, and the most amazing rice ever. Dessert was banana xango which I know I will pay for dearly some time tonight or tomorrow because of my lactose intolerance.

kemp
07-19-2005, 04:05 AM
Had sausages, roasted cubed potatoes with garlic, margarine, and seasonings. Dessert was graham crumbs, marshmallows, and chocolate chips (Smores?). ALL done in the barbeque!!!

YUM! Dessert sounds awesome.

beldaraan
07-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Dessert was okay, although we had to really be careful about overcooking the graham crumbs. Needs to be fine tuned a bit, but the idea is definitely yummy.

BinkyKat
08-19-2005, 08:49 PM
I am having california rolls and a nice glass of wine....
Cheers!
:thumbsup:

Vendie
08-19-2005, 10:04 PM
DH made a wonderful chicken and bow-tie pasta dish, yummm, one of my favorites...