PDA

View Full Version : I found my LYS!!!

bekahdrmom
07-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Okay, so it's not that big of a deal. But until now, I thought the LYS was some obscure place that only existed everywhere in the world BUT my neck of the woods. But today...I found it! I went with a friend to Hobby Lobby to pick out some yarn for a shawl she wants me to make for her, only to find out that...gasp! :shock: ...they don't have nearly the selection you'd expect! So I did a search online for Louisiana Yarn Stores, and was beginning to get disheartened very quickly (I was only finding them in New Orleans--a 1 1/5 hour drive away) when I found it. And the best part is...(this is sooooo awesome) it's right across the street from my work and home (I work really close to home...saves a LOT on gas)! Yeah, I'm completely stoked! I have found my new happy spot!!!! :happydance:

You'd think though that I would've known about it a long time ago since it's just across the street :thinking:

Ingrid
07-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Uh oh. That can be very, very dangerous. ;)

Nuno930
07-13-2005, 02:59 PM
And the best part is...(this is sooooo awesome) it's right across the street from my work and home (I work really close to home...saves a LOT on gas)!
You only think that is the best part... just wait. You ain't gonna be saving nuthing!

bekahdrmom
07-13-2005, 03:09 PM
:lol: That's so true! DH won't know what hit him! Er, I mean, our bank account :roflhard:

Rennagayle
07-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Nik, You only think that is the best part... just wait. You ain't gonna be saving nuthing!

You so funny! :roflhard:

Bek, I envy you. I have no LYS. It isn't just a matter of not locating it. :crying: I don't even have a Hobby Lobby. In fact, War-Mart, I mean Wal-Mart, is it. :rollseyes:

Ingrid
07-13-2005, 03:16 PM
You wouldn't find anything decent in Wal-Mart anyway ;)

Rennagayle
07-13-2005, 03:18 PM
I meant, Wal-Mart is all I do have. :(

You're right, Ingrid, their selection is PATHETIC.

bekahdrmom
07-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Ahh, I didn't even bother trying Wal-Mart! Although, sad as it is, I did find that they had a better selection of needles than Hobby Lobby did. HL's needle section was just a huge, unstocked mess!

JLC
07-13-2005, 03:38 PM
My LYS is on the other side of town from where I work, and even though it is on my way home, I can't stop then because daycare closes soon after I get out of work, so today on my 1/2 hr lunch break, I decided I wanted the book "Bags: A Knitter's Dozen" and I checked the small book store right in town, no luck, so I looked at the clock, said "What the heck" and drove to the LYS, where they had the book. I glanced at the yarn, touched some handpainted sock yarn, saw that it was $21.95 a skein and I'd need 2 to make socks, said "No way in he** I would pay anywhere near that price for a pair of socks", paid for the book, checked the clock, 6 minutes left, decided since it was 80 degrees that I needed a coffee Coolata from Dunkin Donuts and there were no cars in the drive thru, so I pulled in, got my drink, drove like a lunatic back through town, screeched into the parking lot, ran into work, and WOW, 2 seconds to spare. Who needs to eat anyway, that was much more fun!!! But it would be really nice to have one across the street!

Nuno930
07-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Nik, You only think that is the best part... just wait. You ain't gonna be saving nuthing!

You so funny! :roflhard:

Bek, I envy you. I have no LYS. It isn't just a matter of not locating it. :crying: I don't even have a Hobby Lobby. In fact, War-Mart, I mean Wal-Mart, is it. :rollseyes:
Don't feel bad all I have is a Wal-Mart too... and not only that but it is the 4th smallest Wal-Mart. ALl the internet is my LYS

bekahdrmom
07-13-2005, 04:09 PM
so today on my 1/2 hr lunch break, I decided I wanted the book "Bags: A Knitter's Dozen" and I checked the small book store right in town, no luck, so I looked at the clock, said "What the heck" and drove to the LYS, where they had the book.

Hey! I can go on my lunch break!!! Whoa! I hadn't even thought of that! Woohoo! :happydance: I'm gonna be a :XX: monster by the time the week's out! haha

kemp
07-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Wow...how fun Bek! I didn't know how many LYS were around town either until I did a specific search. Turns out Cincinnati area has SEVERAL!

Curious...I noticed you said New Orleans is about 1 hour away. I was born in Bogalusa, LA and lived in Rio. Are you anywhere near there?

Rennagayle
07-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Nik,
Don't feel bad all I have is a Wal-Mart too... and not only that but it is the 4th smallest Wal-Mart. ALl the internet is my LYS

Wow, it's just like that old proverb; you think you're bad off 'cause you have no shoes, until you see a man with no feet. Or however in the heck it goes. :mrgreen:

kemp
07-13-2005, 04:38 PM
shoes...that reminds me...the only good thing about my yarn addiction is that it has replaced my shoe addiction! :roflhard:

Ingrid
07-13-2005, 04:43 PM
shoes...that reminds me...the only good thing about my yarn addiction is that it has replaced my shoe addiction! :roflhard:

This is getting freaky! I used to cruise the shoe web sites on a daily basis. And buy! I haven't bought a new pair in at least a year. Of course, the 70 or so pairs should last me little while longer.

kemp
07-13-2005, 04:44 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

My (shoe) supply actually IS getting a bit low since the new puppy has been around :)

Rennagayle
07-13-2005, 04:47 PM
This is the second thread I've read today that moved from yarn to shoes. :mrgreen: The other one has me wanting to check out some birkenstocks, but I dare not. :rollseyes:

bekahdrmom
07-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Curious...I noticed you said New Orleans is about 1 hour away. I was born in Bogalusa, LA and lived in Rio. Are you anywhere near there?

Actually I live in Baton Rouge. I've been to Bogalusa once, and heard maaaany stories about the smell ;)

kemp
07-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Is the smell you mean from the paper plant? My dad use to work there as a chemist before he went with Celanese. I do remember it being quite pungent...but that has been about 27 years ago! Guess it could be worse or from something else by now :)

brendajos
07-13-2005, 05:00 PM

Actually I live in Baton Rouge. I've been to Bogalusa once, and heard maaaany stories about the smell ;)

i was wondering where you were too...i lived in BTR for about 1 1/2 years. Gotta admit...not much of a fan. I did LOVE St. Francesville though...but speakin' of smells....that drive up scenic highway! :shock:

I lived down there when i came to help open the West Corp Call center down there. I left when i realized that they were ROYALLY flockin' up the joint and i just couldn't deal with it anymore! I TRIIIIIIIIIIED to make it a decent place i swear!...lol

and ya know, i found i had the same problem with finding a place that sells Boyds Bears down there that you had finding an LYS! i think there were only two that i could find and one was selling their stock...*sigh* I luuuuuuuuuuuved the big mall there though! yeah yeah yeah....shoppin' goooood!

okay...i gotta stop wastin' time like this ...wow....lol

brendajos
07-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Is the smell you mean from the paper plant? My dad use to work there as a chemist before he went with Celanese. I do remember it being quite pungent...but that has been about 27 years ago! Guess it could be worse or from something else by now :)

the smell i am talking about was from the paper plants...oy. the first time i went to St. Francesville was with my aunt and uncle who had just taken their Metameucil...i was pretty sure that it was coming from them! :roflhard:

bekahdrmom
07-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Haha! I lived in Zachary for years, so I know exactly the smell you mean! It's one of those that after a certain period of time, you build up an immunity to it. I don't think I ever quite reached that point yet though :lol: I'm not a big fan of BR either. There's not nearly enough of what really matters (i.e. LYS's) and waaaaaaay too much of what doesn't (i.e. expensive shopping and dining...everything wears/eats the same way anyway)

Now that we've gotten totally OT! Hehe

Jazzmatazz
07-13-2005, 05:51 PM
I PMed you before I realized there was a second page to this post. Sorry. I still want to know what LYS is in Baton Rouge! I didn't knit when I lived there, so I have no clue where it could be.

kemp
07-13-2005, 05:58 PM
:D um, yeah, what was the topic again???

Crown Zellebach...my dad's paper place. It was driving me nuts before that I couldn't think of it.

bekahdrmom
07-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Went to the LYS yesterday afternoon... :heart: :inlove: :heart: I was in shock! Like the good kind of shock where you stand in one spot and freeze b/c you're so excited you don't know where to go or what to do first (i.e. jump in place, shout for joy, run around looking at EVERY thread you can find, etc.) Hehe, yeah, it was like that. I walked in and told the owner..."I'll be here A LOT!" And they're having a S&B in 2 weeks! YAY!!!

kemp
07-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Awesome! Nothing like a fabulous LYS.

Did you see the "scare your hubby" post? There is a lot of over 1000 skeins of yarn for sale in New Orleans on ebay. So far it's *only* $200 (well it really is only, I guess, a 20 cents a skein!)

bekahdrmom
07-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Oh wow! Yeah, that would scare him! Haha, then he'd burst out laughing. (I guess I shouldn't have done that to him when he wanted to buy some collectible basketball cards, huh?)