PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Trends Clogs - The ULTIMATE RESOURCE

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

mshelton
08-01-2005, 03:35 PM
[quote="cheesiesmom"]As a thought, I'm a little nervous at the idea of walking on slippery floors in felt clogs. I know someone mentioned puffy paint as a skid reducer, but what about that stuff that you paint on the back of rugs to make them slip proof? Think that would work?

On the pattern insert, it noted that for slippery floors "Another solution is to rub a flexible fabric glue into the soles after slipper are dry. I think I might do that since the Suede soles they sell are $$. Altho, I haven't priced flexible fabric glue---

I'm working on the second slipper, and it is much easier :thumbsup:

I did show my DH the first slipper and asked him how he liked it. He hesitated as if to consider whether to be nice or honest and then he said "Shaq could wear that". (you know of the basketball fame) He, He, I then told him about felting.

Mer
08-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Well, I finished my clogs over the weekend, and I'll try to post a picture of them unfelted later. I gave them to my dad over the weekend when I was visiting but didn't have time to felt them. I left the felting directions with my mom, so hopefully she's not too nervous to do it!

Ingrid
08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, unless your dad's name is Bozo, he won't be able to wear them unless she does! :D

cheesiesmom
08-01-2005, 11:38 PM
I never heard of flexible glue, but will look for that. I really don't want to stick to my new kitchen floor.

I have a tee on the needles, just got my baby alpaca for lace scarves (Christmas stuff) and am eagerly awaiting the pattern and wool for the clogs. Think I might have too many irons in the fire???

cheesiesmom
08-01-2005, 11:38 PM
I never heard of flexible glue, but will look for that. I really don't want to stick to my new kitchen floor.

I have a tee on the needles, just got my baby alpaca for lace scarves (Christmas stuff) and am eagerly awaiting the pattern and wool for the clogs. Think I might have too many irons in the fire???

Mer
08-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Here's a picture of my dad's unfelted clog relaxing on a hotel bed. I used WOTA in mist and coal. Pretty quick pattern, though I really disliked all of that three-needle bind off type stuff. But I'm quite happy with the result! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
08-02-2005, 07:57 PM
It looks great! Does your mom have any qualms about felting them?

Ingrid
08-02-2005, 08:03 PM
I don't want to start a whole new thread for this, but I ordered a camera! Finally! Any suggestions as to where/how to post pics? I'm a total newbie at this. Should I start a blog thread? That seems easiest. Any ideas for names? (Be nice)

MaryS
08-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Hi Ingrid,

:thinking: :thinking: How about 'Ingrid's Insights'.
You and Hildie could keep up the alliteration, and I always find your advice very helpful and insightful!

Someday I'll get a camera too, then I'll be asking the same questions you are now.

HAPPY KNITTING (and we'll all get to enjoy the pictures!) :cheering:

Mary

Ingrid
08-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Hi Ingrid,

:thinking: :thinking: How about 'Ingrid's Insights'.
You and Hildie could keep up the alliteration, and I always find your advice very helpful and insightful!

Someday I'll get a camera too, then I'll be asking the same questions you are now.

HAPPY KNITTING (and we'll all get to enjoy the pictures!) :cheering:

Mary

I like it! You don't think it sounds too know-it-all-y? Cause I really don't know it all. :??

KellyK
08-03-2005, 08:13 AM
How about "Ingrid Doesnt Know It All"? :shifty:

I would post your most recently finished projects in the "recently finished projects" thread and also post EVERYTHING in your Blog. I find my blog is a nice way to keep track of everything Ive knit...that way I dont have to store all those pics on my hard drive if I dont wanna.

mshelton
08-03-2005, 12:45 PM
How about Ingrid's Gridirons? I like the play on sounds.

Hey, I just finished my first pair of clogs :happydance: I couldn't have done it without the help of this web site!!! Thanks Amy!!!! and to her support cast of all others using this web site!!! We just got a camera so I'm going to try to add a picture here. Let's see if it works!! No, didn't work. Says my attachment is too large. Guess I will have to read up on how to do this. Later, Marlene

mshelton
08-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Okay, I made resolution smaller so I'll try again! Here's my clogs

Ingrid
08-03-2005, 02:25 PM
How about Ingrid's Gridirons? I like the play on sounds.

If I liked one single thing about football, maybe. I appreciate the thought, though.

Your clogs came out great! And you managed to post a picture. Good for you.

Shelly
08-03-2005, 08:08 PM
mshelton your clogs are beautiful! Great job on those!

I just started these clogs also and have a question about the wrap & turn on the pattern. I'm making the size 11's for my Dh.

I'm on row 2 of the pattern. I'm at the part where I'm just starting the W&T. Do I turn my work around first then contiue or do I just continue right there and start the wrap then turn :?? This is my first time doing W&T. Also am I doing short rows here on row 2 since it's so long, I was just wondering?

Thanks ladies :D

Ingrid
08-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Row two is a whole bunch of short rows. On the W&T, slip the stitch purlwise, bring the yarn forward, put the stitch back and then turn and start working back the other way.

Shelly
08-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Ingrid thank you :inlove: What would I do without you here :thumbsup:

Shelly
08-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Ladies I had a question here. There is no row that actually says row 3 .
I know it says row 3 to knit above. My question is where it says in the pattern M1 , K1 and then I'm going to be knitting 69 sts. Is this row 3 :thinking: I see the rest of the row numbers after row 4. Just wondering here. I don't want to have to ripe anything out.

Thanks, :D

Carol_OH
08-04-2005, 11:41 AM
I decided that instead of purchasing the clogs pattern, I'll just attempt the ballerina slipper pattern (that I bought months ago) instead. Gosh, aren't I fiscally responsible!?!?! :lol:

Has anyone knitted that pattern? I'd love to see your finished project.

Mer
08-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Ladies I had a question here. There is no row that actually says row 3 .
I know it says row 3 to knit above. My question is where it says in the pattern M1 , K1 and then I'm going to be knitting 69 sts. Is this row 3 :thinking: I see the rest of the row numbers after row 4. Just wondering here. I don't want to have to ripe anything out.

Thanks, :D

I don't have the pattern with me, but I remember that it says at the very top to just knit both rows 1 and 3. So after you finish row 2, just knit across everything you just did to complete row 3.

KellyK
08-04-2005, 12:58 PM
I think MOST of the sole's odd rows are just knit across....those row's directions are listed along with row #1.

Shelly
08-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks ladies! I thought that was row 3, but was not quit sure. :D Thanks for reconfirming this for me! ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Yep, ALL of the odd # sole rows are K across.

I'm debating on doing the ballerina slipper for my niece instead of clogs. But i did buy the kids clog pattern the other day (i meant to "borrow" from KK but i forgot--that's what i get for trying to cheat!!!), and I'm making those for my nephew for sure. And the other billions pairs i have to make..... arrghhhhhhhhhh. My embellishments on the first pair look GREAT though. Needle felting is done, I just need to add... well, you'll see ;-)

Shelly
08-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Can't wait to see those clogs Hilde! :D The Ballerina Slipper is pretty slipper too!

Jazzmatazz
08-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Look what I found when I was searching for a good place to get the pattern:

http://theraknit.blogspot.com/2004/07/heres-final-result-after-felting.html

Too cute...

koolbreeze
08-08-2005, 09:21 AM

Too cute...

those are cute.

you all have peeked my interest and i want to make some for my kids and myself. i have a question about them for people who have made and worn them. knowing that they are made of wool... are they hot?

kemp
08-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Just jumping in here...I can't remember if I posted this questions before or not. Is it just me, or would the clog be much easier if it had instructions to place markers? I hated it when it would say knit76 or whatever and then I realize it was within 2 stitches of the last k2t or something. If someone hasn't already done it, I was thinking of making those notes when I finally get started on my next pair.

Ingrid
08-08-2005, 03:51 PM

Too cute...

those are cute.

you all have peeked my interest and i want to make some for my kids and myself. i have a question about them for people who have made and worn them. knowing that they are made of wool... are they hot?

I would imagine that they are hot. It's too hot now to even think about wearing them, and I'm not much of a slipper wearer anyway. That's why I'm giving them as gifts. I know that my sis and her daughter wear slippers, and my oldest daughter is getting them just cause I made them.

I think, though, that they would be great for the kids when they come in out of the snow or get out of the tub on a winter night. I'd definitely use fabric paint on kids' slippers, though. Can you just see the sliding races across the floor!

mshelton
08-08-2005, 03:52 PM
I used a bunch of markers, especially with row 2 so that if I lost track (or got interrupted), I could easily return to work in progress. I also used the markers to lay over the pattern instructions as I worked on it so I could make sure that I didn't lose my space. I also typed out the instructions so I could read it easier. Of course, I'm new to knitting so these are beneficial to me.

Ingrid
08-08-2005, 03:59 PM
I didn't use markers, but I could see where they'd come in handy.

I recently got another pattern from Fiber Trends on the blue paper. I took it to work and copied it on the machine under the "Photo with text" button. It came out perfectly legible. Even if you don't have access to a copier, one of the places like Staples or even the library would have a machine to try it on.

It really isn't easy to read on the blue, and you could write on your copy as you went along.

koolbreeze
08-08-2005, 05:11 PM
fabric paint... do u mean like puffy paint?

Ingrid
08-08-2005, 05:16 PM
fabric paint... do u mean like puffy paint?

Exactly.

kemp
08-08-2005, 05:17 PM
I keep thinking that two ovals (foot heel and ball) of scrap leather they sell in fabric stores would make good soles too.

KellyK
08-08-2005, 06:10 PM
They really arent HOT....at least not in the sweaty sense. Wool breathes pretty nicely

gimmesanity
08-08-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm stuck!!! :thinking:

OK, so I've knitted the second sole and want to attach it to the clog with a bumper. How do I do this??

Instructions read:
"Place outer sole over outside of slipper sole and hold both needles in left hand. With the bottom of slipper facing and using the working needle, knit the two soles together as for cuff, but do not cast off."

Umm, I'm stuck and need someone to walk me through this. Does this mean that I need to use a second circular needle and use that as my working needle? Also, am I supposed to cast off on the sole before attaching it? Don't the working stitches form the seam up the middle of the sole? If so, how am I supposed to connect it? Am I just making this too complicated? I really wanted to finish this tonight, but I don't think that's going to happen. :??

KellyK
08-08-2005, 09:40 PM
You should knit the 2 soles together kinda like you are doing a 3-needle bind-off, but wihtout the passing over of any sts. Then you will start the knitting in the round for the bumper.

The middle of the soles are sewn together with your yarn needle later.

Ingrid
08-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Did you pick up the loops around the sole on the slipper with your extra needle?

You need to have that done in order to attach the second sole.

gimmesanity
08-08-2005, 09:45 PM
So, am I supposed to cast off on the second sole before I attach it?
Right now, I have the second sole on my needle, not bound off.

Ingrid
08-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Don't cast it off. You knit these stitches together with the stitches on the spare needle that you used to pick up the "top loops of the last ridge of garter st around outer edge of slipper sole"

gimmesanity
08-08-2005, 09:50 PM
:doh:

OK, I got it. I was looking at the spare sole all wrong and thinking that the working stitches on the needles are the ones that form the seam up the middle...I was folding it the wrong way.

I gots it, yo.

Thanks for the quick help, chicas! You rock! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

snephenie
08-09-2005, 01:29 PM
I just placed my yarn order at knitpicks, and needles at shop.com. Hopefully they will be here soon :) Then I can join in.

kemp
08-09-2005, 01:50 PM
woo hoo! You will love the clog pattern...it is so much fun. The new knitpicks colors are great. I think I'm finally going to order some to make a pair for myself and my little sis.

Shelly
08-09-2005, 02:17 PM
My question also, if I will be doing the second sole towards the end?

In the Inner sole part of the pattern when I got towards the end before begining Upper part of the pattern. I got like 8 holes that appeared. Something is wrong that I did I think. It's not supose to have 8 holes right :?? I think I am going to have to frog this back to where there is no holes and start over again.

kemp
08-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Where are the "holes" showing up? Keep in mind that when you felt it will shrink and many spaces close up.

Shelly
08-09-2005, 02:29 PM
There right at rows 4,5,6, and 7. Somewhere in there. Right before begining the Upper part of the clog.

kemp
08-09-2005, 02:32 PM
:thinking: I don't remember having any problems like that. I was just looking back at the pattern...any chance you could post a pic? Do they seem to occur in specific spots like after you M1 or something like that?

Shelly
08-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Yes, they are like in specific spots. I know it sounds crazy :rofling:

Ingrid
08-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Holes in the inner sole? It's the inner sole. They'll probably felt closed, and even if they don't, it will be covered by the other sole. I wouldn't worry about it unless they're really big.

kemp
08-09-2005, 03:04 PM
That was my thought too, except it's hard to tell what her "holes" mean with no pic. I hardly worry about any mistakes at all when I am felting :)

Shelly
08-09-2005, 03:08 PM
It's the inner sole like you said. The other sole will cover this up. I didn't know that. I most likly will frog it an do it over. I want them perfect as possible! :rofling:

blueknitter
08-09-2005, 03:11 PM
:shock: I can't believe how many pages/posts in this thread!! I would like to read them, but I would honestly rather go knit these clogs. If you all know what I mean. :oops: :XX:

So, Ingrid made me wonder something - did you all worry about guage when you made your clogs? I'm just wondering because to meet the guage, I think I'm going to need a size 17 needle, and I don't have it. I can get 9 sts in 3.5".

Any advice?? :??

Ingrid
08-09-2005, 03:13 PM
To be perfectly honest, I didn't think twice about gauge. The slippers are enormous when you're done knitting, and then they get shrunken by the washer. I just got the right sized needle and yarn and started in. I didn't think it would make much difference in these.

Shelly
08-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Ingrid thanks for making me feel better. I'm not going to frog it. I decide to do the next foot better :rofling:

blueknitter
08-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Thank you, Ingrid! I hate it when I start stressing over knitting. It probably should be a stress-free experience as long as you stay away from lacey patterns and such.......whoa! I'm way off subject. So, I'm going to stop stressing over guage and go knit.

Ingrid
08-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Sometimes you just gotta take Nike's advice. We're not carving marble, here.

Shelly
08-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Kemp sorry I didn't have a pic to post right now. I know that would have helped alot!
I decided to frog back to row 5. I found out it was between rolls 6 and 7 where I had messed up. I'm glad I went back to see, maybe I can find out what I did wrong now. :happydance:

I still would like to have this answered if possble.
My question is, if I will be doing the second sole towards the end?

metalsgirl
08-10-2005, 03:21 PM
good to know about guage - I was wondering if I REALLY needed to go up to a size 15 needle - I'm just not going to worry...

question - I may just not be reading the pattern carefully enough, when I'm slipping stitches (starting with the toe and instep shaping) am I slipping as if to knit or as if to purl?

thanks,
becky

Ingrid
08-10-2005, 03:28 PM
For the slip and wrap, I slipped purlwise so I wouldn't twist the stitches.

metalsgirl
08-10-2005, 03:31 PM
sorry - should have been more specific, not for the W&T - row 2 on the toe and instep shaping for example, slip 1, p4, turn - slip as if to knit or purl?

Ingrid
08-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Purl--still don't want a twist.

Mer
08-10-2005, 06:04 PM

If I remember correctly, the pattern for the 2nd sole is on a seperate page. You pick up stitches on the first sole, knit the 2nd sole, and then attach them together. Does that answer your question? :??

Ingrid
08-10-2005, 06:06 PM

If I remember correctly, the pattern for the 2nd sole is on a seperate page. You pick up stitches on the first sole, knit the 2nd sole, and then attach them together. Does that answer your question? :??

The whole slipper upper and first sole is done, with stitches picked up around the edge with a spare needle. The you make the second sole and attach it, using the stitches you picked up.

Shelly
08-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Mer thank you! :D I was just wondering and wanted someone to answer that for me. Thanks again :D

Shelly
08-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Ingrid thanks! :D I just couldn't picture how this was done by just reading the pattern. You made it more clear to me. ;)

Thanks,

Shelly
08-17-2005, 08:26 PM
I'm finished on this clog almost just have to put the second sole on now. Here is a pic of the clog so far. Does it look right to you?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/Shellymae/Dhsshoes0001.jpg

KellyK
08-17-2005, 08:35 PM
It looks PERFECT!! :cheering:

Shelly
08-17-2005, 08:40 PM
I was wondering because, I've never done the three needle bind off before and was worried. :D Thanks Kelly :thumbsup: I could not have done without you ladies, that's for sure.

Ingrid
08-17-2005, 08:44 PM
You did it!!!! Hurray for you! :cheering:

Shelly
08-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Ingrid thanks :D I could not have done it without your help :thumbsup: I just hope I can figure out how to put the other sole on after I finish knitting it. Then on to finish the other one. :happydance:

Mer
08-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Looks great shelly! :thumbsup:

Shelly
08-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Mer thanks for all your help :D :thumbsup:

snephenie
08-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Mine is starting to look like a clog!!! Im on the toe part in the front!! I'm so excited!! :cheering:

KellyK
08-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Isnt this pattern FRIGGIN AMAZING??

Jazzmatazz
08-20-2005, 09:14 PM
This is the first thing I've knitted (I started knitting in April of this year) that is actually fun to do. Most of the other things I've done are very repetitious (booga bag, tank top knitted in the round, scarves, etc). I may be speaking too soon, as I've just gotten to the point of finishing up the cuff of the first clog! It was just amazing to watch the toe take shape, and to start to catch on to the rhythm of the project. Now I see why knitting can be great stress relief...you have to put all your other thoughts out of your mind. This whole thread has been a tremendous help to me.

I just wish the pattern wasn't black text on blue paper! That wasn't a kind thing to do...

Ingrid
08-20-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm glad you're enjoying the clogs. It is so much fun to watch things take shape.

If you have access to a copy machine, you can make a copy of the pattern that's more legible. I had another Fiber Trends pattern that was also on blue. Since I was at work I experimented and I made a copy of it on the setting of picture/text and made it a little lighter. Completely legible--black on light gray.

Jazzmatazz
08-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Thanks, Ingrid. I had thought I would take it to Kinko's if I couldn't get the copier at work to do anything with it. While I understand the copyright problems, I have a real problem with the legibility.

Ingrid
08-20-2005, 10:10 PM
If you use it for your own use, copyright isn't an issue. I often make copies from books, so I don't have to carry the whole thing around with me, so why not this?

snephenie
08-21-2005, 01:10 AM
I'm almost done with my first clog...I had a question, came here starting reading then realized...I ORDERED WRONG!! I ordered 2 sole/cuff & 4 upper. Looks like another knitpicks order...dern.

Anyways...here is my question....

When you start picking up stitches from the wrong side with the spare needle (on the cuff) are you using the yarn of the cuff from 6 rows up?? It seems kinda awkward...

Im putting the clogs down and starting on my booga while I await my yarn for the other clog...dern it.

Jazzmatazz
08-21-2005, 09:02 AM
I think what you're doing is getting ready for a 3NBO, so you don't use yarn. You just put the loops on the spare needle, then bind off with the other set of stitches on the needle. I am ready for that step, and have to go read the directions again.

Ingrid
08-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Jazz is right. You just pick up the loops with your spare needle. No other yarn involved at this point. These loops will be knitting together with your working stitches for a the 3 needle bind off.

Such a shame that you need to order yarn. Poor you. :crying:

jodstr2
08-21-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm getting impatient and want to start these today. I still have 3 WIPs, but am overly anxious to start these clogs.
I've had the pattern for like a month now and the yarn for a week. I decided to make my first pair for DH. got 220 in #9402 (twisty grey) for the upper and #8393 (darkdarkdark blue).
the pattern is boggling me already :shock: :??. I hope it gets easier as I start and move along and see wtf I'm doing.
*fingers crossed*

snephenie
08-21-2005, 01:24 PM
I think I did row 2 a few times. LOL. That was the hardest for me. After that it was all about marking my place in the pattern. I highly suggest a sticky note.

jodstr2
08-21-2005, 01:27 PM
thanks for the tip, snephenie! :D

yeah... in reading the pattern Row 2 already has me all confizzled.

Shelly
08-21-2005, 01:34 PM
So I could remember my place I use a safty pin where I would start, so I would not lose count. That way I could just look at where the safty pin was and count back how many I had done. It makes it very easy for me that way. But I suggest like Snephenie said to write it down. If left my knitting for a while I also would write it down. :D

jodstr2
08-21-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm in the middle of Row 5.
I got pissed at it during Row 4.
I can't watch TV and do this, this requires total concentration. :(

KellyK
08-21-2005, 09:12 PM
OH, sorry Jod!! You'll LOVE em once you're done! I promise!

There IS lots of counting....

jodstr2
08-21-2005, 09:50 PM
thanks for the encouragement!!! :heart:
after a break for dinner, I'm about to start Row 25.
I think I knit too tight. these almost seem like they'll fit DH w/o felting! :??
but on the positive side - I was so happy when it started to look like a clog!!! :D

Jazzmatazz
08-22-2005, 07:02 AM
I finished the first clog, and it looks pretty darn good. However, I'm a little confused on the tacking. To keep the two soles in some kind of order, you have to use "very small loose backstitches." I assume that means individual stitches tied off after each one? What a pain...

KellyK
08-22-2005, 07:23 AM
I did NOT do that, Jazz....I just kinda loosely stitched down the middle of the sole.

HERE'S AN ILLUSTRATION (http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/embroidery/stitch_pages/emb_backstitch.html) of backstitch...

Jazzmatazz
08-22-2005, 07:41 AM
Good! That's what I originally thought, but then thought maybe it was tacking like some quilts have. Thanks!

jodstr2
08-22-2005, 11:31 AM
I finished everything on the first clog except the bumper.
I only swore at it once, during the ending of the cuff bind-off (needles kept slipping out).
so far so good, I think. DH is actually showing some interest in it... I can't believe it!

cheesiesmom
08-22-2005, 11:59 AM
I've had my first pair of clogs knitted for about 2 weeks. (Been laid up with a hamstring strain and all I could do for a week was knit.) I still can't go up and down steps so I can't get into my laundry room to felt them. I'm dying to see how they turn out. Think sink felting would work as well? The directions with the clogs recommend about 1/2 hour in the washer; would it take even longer in a sink?

About 3 weeks ago, I was wishing for more knitting time. Be careful what you wish for, you may get it!! Sigh.

Ingrid
08-22-2005, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't risk trying it in the sink. From what I understand, the agitation is an integral part of felting. You'd need to work that sink for a long time, actively pounding and sloshing in hot water. I'd wait and just, well, knit some more stuff!

KellyK
08-22-2005, 02:28 PM
AND, you'd have to scrub it against one of those old-fashioned washing boards. I've heard of people "hand felting" their items, but Ive also heard they can come out quite unevenly felted. With all the scrubbing you'd have to do, I would bet it would NOT be easy on your hamstrings....

cheesiesmom
08-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Well, I don't have a washboard and beating them against rocks would be just as hard. Guess I will just have to wait patiently until I can move around freely again. I was thinking of asking the DH to do it since he's always been so good at shrinking the laundry.

BTW KK, I loved the spruce and beige(?) clogs you did. My wool combos looked much better on the monitor than in real life. But then, their only for me and the DH so no biggie.

KellyK
08-22-2005, 04:20 PM
OH THANKS! That was WOTA, in Evergreen and Snickerdoodle.

Ennormir
08-22-2005, 06:42 PM
oh WOW!!! I luff deh clogs!!!

When I get good enough, I am SO making those for Christmas gifts.

Julie
08-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Okay, every LYS I have looked at is sold out of the adult sized clog pattern. :rollseyes:

But I did buy the kids' clog pattern, because I think my girls will love them. I need some warm red footwear to replace my 2yo's beloved red sandals once it gets colder. Seriously, she is in love with the shoes...tries to take them to bed with her and wakes up crying for us to put them on. :roflhard:

Anywho, my question is: does anyone have both patterns? There is no mention of a second sole on the kids' pattern, that I can find. So no 2nd sole? Should I add one to make them sturdier?

jodstr2
08-24-2005, 11:09 AM
finished the first clog! I think I'm ok size-wise, for whatever reason it seemed as though 1/2 way through the upper part it was gonna be too tiny.
just completed the inner sole of the 2nd one.
hoping to have the pair felted and drying by the weekend.

Ingrid
08-24-2005, 11:12 AM
:cheering: :cheering:

jodstr2
08-24-2005, 01:31 PM
**I learned something about the clogs at my class tonight!!!!

If you knit the second sole on with a "bumper" it's important that you knit it the same way on bnoth clogs, otherwise they will turn out funky. If you want the bumper to curl up, you have to attach the second sole and knit the bumper with the sole facing up. If you want it to curl down, knit with the sole down. It didn't occur to me to do it one way other the other... thankfully I did mine both the same, because there was a chick at my class who did them, but one bumper was curled up and the other was down, and they looked REALLY funky. AND they can't be fixed after felting, you'd just have to make 2 new clogs, making sure to do 1 up and 1 down, so you have 2 matching pairs.

blueslady did yousee my post earlier about knitting the second sole? If you don't knit them both the same way they will come out looking funky after felting. YOu either knit them both with the first sole facing UP, or facing down... but ifyou do one of each your bumper will be wierd looking. If you remember whatyou did for the first one, make a note or whatever so you do the same thing for the second clog!

oh boy... I hope I do this right. :pray:

do you mean - when you're holding the clog and joining the outer sole on to the inner sole, the "floor side" of the inner sole should either face you, or face away from you?
and keep *that* consistent for the second clog?

I *think* I joined my first clog's outer sole on to the inner with the inner sole "floor side" facing me. :?? I hope I can tell.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Julie do you still need the pattern? I won an ebay auction last week that as a lot of FT patterns.... the clogs were included, but since I already have the pattern I can send it to you! Let me know. (it also has the oregon tote pattern woohoo. sheesh. I'm talking like i have time to knit anymore!)

KellyK
08-24-2005, 05:31 PM
*GASP* YOU didnt tell me you won an FT auction!!! HOLDIN OUT on me, ARE ya??? :mad:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-24-2005, 10:02 PM
oooo i didn't????? sowwwwwwyyyyyyyyyyyy. It's not JUST FT anyway, there's other stuff. here's the auction I won (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8211740291&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D8211740291%2509% 26fvi%3D1) and the seller is selling some other pattern collections, too.

Julie
08-24-2005, 11:25 PM
:cheering: Yes, Hildie, I'd love it!! PM me and tell me how much to Paypal you!

So, after a failed first attempt (my yarn is way too bulky, so I'm getting all experimental and not doubling...so far so good) I have some cloggity goodness of my own!! I can't believe how quick these are. I mean, they are the kids ones and all, but I can't imagine that the grownup ones take that much longer.

Imagine my DUH when I realized that I had gotten the pattern but not the PATTERN INSERT from W&Co. :doh: No wonder I was so confused! I ran over and picked up the insert today and here they are....on to the second soles....

KellyK
08-24-2005, 11:37 PM
I have some cloggity goodness of my own!!
I love your use of "creative adjectives"!! :rofling:

OH! Hild!! Make those ballerina slippers and tell me how they go! Make them RIGHT NOW!!! Those are TOO cute!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Make them RIGHT NOW!!!
right. that will happen. and pigs might fly outta my butt.

KellyK
08-25-2005, 08:05 PM
and pigs might fly outta my butt.
:shock: REALLY??? :shock:

Ingrid
08-25-2005, 08:06 PM
and pigs might fly outta my butt.
:shock: REALLY??? :shock:

PICS! WE WANT PICS OF THE PIGS!

Julie
08-25-2005, 08:20 PM
I'm felting! Wow, were those quick!! :cheering:

jodstr2
08-25-2005, 10:31 PM
I would have been ready to felt tonight but I screwed up my 2nd clog somewhere. around row 28 I noticed the heel area looking weird :(. I think I forgot to turn somewhere :doh:. not knowing where the mistake was, I frogged all the way back to the 1st row of the upper, then made dinner. no more clog for me 'til I can get some sleep. I was reeeeeaaaaaaally tired all afternoon but wanted to keep plugging away at the clog. bad idea. I need to be alert for this pattern.
it's ok tho, tom'w is my Off Friday and I *should* have uninterrupted knitting btwn 1000 and 1415.

Julie
08-25-2005, 10:36 PM
:doh: What a bummer Jodi!!

That's the only thing that bummed me out about this pattern...that I have to pay attention and count a lot. I messed up two times and luckily realized in time to un-knit a row or two to correct the error. But if you don't know where the error is...impossible! Ugh! :(

Good thing they're quick though! :thumbsup:

jodstr2
08-25-2005, 10:39 PM
thanks Julie :D.
I think I'm too tired to be too bummed. I'm actually surprised at how un-bummed I am, considering how anxious I am to finish these! but then again if I weren't this tired maybe this wouldn't have happened... LOL :rofling: :oops:

Julie
08-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Well, this is as good as it's gonna get. After almost three hours of agitation and then an hour in the dryer (hello, so frustrated) this is what they look like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/clogs_a3.jpg

And my daughter doesn't care. So it's all good, I guess. Full pictorial saga on my blog (http://heyjulie.blogspot.com).

Ingrid
08-26-2005, 03:04 PM
I like them! They look softer than mine. :D

cheesiesmom
08-26-2005, 04:34 PM
I think that look really nice, Julie. Love the colors. You dtr must be happy to have such a creative momma.

Fortunately this thread is still running and I still can't felt. I was going over the posts and realized I've done one of the bumpers upside down. I'm going to have to frog it, but I'm not sure how to fix it. Probably trial and error. Thankfully, they're a quick knit.
:frog:

foothills
08-27-2005, 10:40 AM
OK...I need to buy yarn for these clogs...I purchased the child's clog pattern and Dawson's feet are 8 inches in length...the pattern calls for 225 yards for the sole/cuff and 100 yards for the upper color for an 8 inch foot...so, if I wanted the color combo as shown on the pattern, which is a dark blue upper and a grayish sole, which yarn would be the best to purchase? I looked at the 10 ply Woolpak as shown in the pattern and it's rather pricey...around $20 a skein...I was thinking that mist and hyacinth may work for the color combo or would fog be a better choice for the sole? Also...I will use two strands of the WOTA as well, right?

Joyce

KellyK
08-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Hyacinth is more of an inky purple. I would do mist and winter night (its more of a navy). For my nephew, Im doing blue bonnet and grass! Make em fun!

I think the fog would be too light & show dirt more.... the Mist heathers up a little when felted.

Ingrid
08-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Hyacinth is more of an inky purple. I would do mist and winter night (its more of a navy). For my nephew, Im doing blue bonnet and grass! Make em fun!

I think the fog would be too light & show dirt more.... the Mist heathers up a little when felted.

And Kelly should know! She's got every color card in the Knitpicks collection!

foothills
08-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks...and Yes...Kelly should know!! Is mist in the gray family? I will use 2 strands, right...just as called for in the pattern?

KellyK
08-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Yup..you use two strands throughout.

Mist is a charcoal gray. :thumbsup:

Julie
08-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Now THIS is more like it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/clogs-red_b-a.jpg

About 12 minutes of felting...woo hoo! I used Arucania Nature Wool for these...they have an awesome texture. Very fuzzy and a little bit nubby.

I tried them on my baby and took them back to the laundry room to dry, and now she's all, "where are my red shoes?? WHERE ARE MY RED SHOES??" :roflhard:

Another view:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/clogs-red_a2.jpg

jodstr2
08-28-2005, 08:50 PM
ooooooh!!! :heart: SOOOO cute, Julie! :inlove: :thumbsup:

MaggieL
08-28-2005, 09:05 PM
12 min? :shock: I felted for a much longer amount of time. Later, I read that you can shock the wool by putting it into cold water and then hot. Did you do that?

By the way:

:heart: those clogs. The color is awesome!!!!

Julie
08-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Maggie, my last pair took almost three hours to felt. Even with intermittent shocking in cold water. :shock: So this was astonishing! I was doing the happy dance! Some yarn just felts more readily than others, I guess.

Ingrid
08-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Those look fantastic!! I love the small ones.

KellyK
08-28-2005, 11:23 PM
YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!! They look FANTASTIC! I cant wait to start on another pair of clogs (gotta have this cabled scarf & one pair of clogs done for 2 birthdays on Saturday! :shock: )

KellyK
08-31-2005, 07:18 AM
I cast on & knit 3 rows of the clogs I have to have done by SATURDAY for a birthday!! YAYYYY!! I can finally be an OFFICIAL member of this KAL!

Ingrid
08-31-2005, 09:16 AM
I cast on & knit 3 rows of the clogs I have to have done by SATURDAY for a birthday!! YAYYYY!! I can finally be an OFFICIAL member of this KAL!

And when the rest are done with their clogs, you'll have,what, about 87 pairs to go? :roflhard:

KellyK
08-31-2005, 09:47 AM
Only 15.... :shifty:

Ingrid
08-31-2005, 09:58 AM
ONLY

gimmesanity
08-31-2005, 11:25 AM
Here are mine...eventhough I read all the funky-bumper warnings, I STILL ended up with the funkiness. Oh, well, I still love em - they're so comfy and soft. Now, DH wants a pair, too. Oi, vey...

Julie
08-31-2005, 11:26 AM
:cheering: Great job!

The next pair will go faster! (at least mine did) ;)

KellyK
08-31-2005, 12:14 PM
LOVE the colors!!!!!

KellyK
08-31-2005, 07:58 PM
I think I just discovered a VERY neat trick....

Ive been knitting with 2 separate balls of yarn...kind of tangly. SO, when I was changing to the upper color, I wound the 2 skeins of yarn into ONE BALL, so the yarn comes OFF the ball as a double thread! This is MUCH less futzy!! :happydance:

Ingrid
08-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Very clever, Miss Kelly!! :thumbsup:

hedgehog
09-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I wound the 2 skeins of yarn into ONE BALL, so the yarn comes OFF the ball as a double thread!

Ooh, yes! This works like a dream...

I did a baby blanket with intarsia that had to have double strands... (the pattern runs throughout the entire blanket so bobbins weren't an option.) the thought of having six balls attached to my knitting was too much to handle!! So i did the double-wound ball trick and it was MUCH better...

You'll be flyin' now!! :) (only - what - 30 more slippers to go??) You'll be :XX: like the wind! (well, more than you do already!)

-hh

KellyK
09-01-2005, 12:45 PM
:verysad:
I wanted to think that I INVENTED that, Hedgy....

Ingrid
09-01-2005, 12:46 PM

I've used it before, too, but it never occurred to me to do it for the clogs! :doh:

Julie
09-01-2005, 12:59 PM
I did that once, but because I had to frog after knitting with a double strand...no way ws I gonna try to separate the strands... :shock:

hedgehog
09-01-2005, 01:16 PM

I'm sure you did!! :) I'm sure it was an instinct that you had but hadn't formalized into thought that i picked up by telepathy! You know, "Escape from Wich Mountain"-like!! :thumbsup:

I believe i'll be joining you on this KAL soon as i'm beginning to figure out my yarn choices... (as discussed here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3598))

I plan on making clogs for my sister, my nephews, myself and my friend (see above link). The first pair will be my friend's pair. She's a Marine Biologist (identifying deep sea beasties) who loves blues - particularly watery blues.. If i go with WOA, do you think that the colors Rain and Stream will look good together?

-hh

Holly
09-02-2005, 12:25 PM
:D After reading all your posts on the clogs, I couldn't stand it...I went out to the LYS after work and got the pattern and :shock: the yarn. Eek! I had a bit of sticker shock! I'm worried because this is my first felting project, but I'm excited because your guys have made them sound so fun to make!

I'm taking it all camping over labor day where I won't have computer access, so I hope I don't have any :wall: moments when I won't have access to your guys!

Can't wait to start :XX: !!

Have a great holiday all :waving:
Holly

Holly
09-02-2005, 12:52 PM
:?? oops -- I meant to add my post to the clog knit-a-long, but I don't know how to delete this post or move it :(
Holly

Ingrid
09-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Don't worry about it. I don't think you can move it yourself. Just jump in the Knit Along thread.

The clogs are fun to make, just be prepared to count!

KellyK
09-02-2005, 07:55 PM
DONE! :thumbsup:

GlenBoRTR
09-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Is it too late to ask a Clog question??? :thinking:

I finished one clog... :cheering:

Now I have to deal with the outer sole. ((Here come the questions))
Is this correct... Do I sew the middle seam of the inner sole, then pick up the stitches around the outside of the sole??
Then with a different set of needles, make a New outer sole??
Then sew the two together?? And continue with the written pattern??

Ingrid
09-02-2005, 10:58 PM
You do sew the first sole together.

Then you pick up the loops of the last ridge of garter stitch around the outer edge of the the clog with an extra needle.

Then you knit the second sole with your main needle and it gets attached either with or without a bumper as you want

GlenBoRTR
09-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Thanks Ingrid...
While I was making my first clog, I kept reminding myself of your popular saying... "Trust The Pattern".
:XX:

KellyK
09-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Isnt this pattern just the COOLEST, Glen???

I finished clog 1 and the first sole for 2 last night. SO...Im gonna TRY to get as much of the upper done before 2:00 today, and throw it all in the gift bag for my friend's bday.

After already knitting 3.5 pairs of these things, I STILL have a question...

For those of you who have knit these with bumpers, did anyone get their bumpers to face DOWNward? All of mine have curled UP. I dont like it. Well, I wont like it as long as there is an alternative... If anyone can tell me how they knit their bumpers to curl down, Id appreciate it!

Ingrid
09-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Mine curl down. I think the difference might be that I only put my needle through the loop on the clog while I believe you picked up and knit them. Maybe that gave you an extra row? I can't think of anything different.

KellyK
09-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Nope...I just picked up the sts and then started right in on the K1, M1, etc row...

Ingrid
09-03-2005, 12:02 PM
But when you picked up the stitches, did you pull yarn through, or did you just stick the needle in each loop without any yarn? I did the latter.

jodstr2
09-03-2005, 03:19 PM
my bumpers curl down.
I got real nervous about that part - making both bumpers curl the same way. but thanks to advice from Hildie, I made them match.
when I picked up the loops onto my extra needle, I started on the heel side and went around counterclockwise so when I was done picking up, the needles pointed off the heel.
I held the clog with the bottom of the clog facing me (facing "up") when I did the join/bumper part.
the bottom of the clog faced me, the toe pointed to my left and the heel pointed to my right.
I knitted counterclockwise.

HTH. :)

KellyK
09-03-2005, 03:31 PM
AH! I think THATs the ticket, Jod!! Ive been knitting clockwise, with the top of the clog facing me. THANKS!

jodstr2
09-03-2005, 04:02 PM
I think the clockwise-or-counterclockwise direction doesn't matter.
I think it's the top of the clog versus the bottom of the clog facing you that determines which direction the bumpers curl. see Hildie's posts.
good luck Kelly :D

I'm going to check how much leftover Cascade 220 I have from numerous bubble bags, and might make a multicolored pair.

GlenBoRTR
09-03-2005, 09:54 PM
:zzz: Clog one is FINISHED....!! ((I stayed up til midnight last night to finish it)).
Today has been Clog #2..!!
I sure hope that the felting process turns then into something that I can be proud of.... :thumbsup:

Dumb Question (as usual)... BUMPERS... Are they something that I have to purchase, or are they the stitching around the bottom sole???

Ingrid
09-03-2005, 09:57 PM
They're built in. They happen if you want, when you stitch around the bottom sole.

KellyK
09-04-2005, 01:59 AM
THe insert on your pattern tells you how to knit to attach the second sole with or without a bumper.

GlenBoRTR
09-04-2005, 11:10 AM
My first set of clogs are FINISHED!!!
:cheering: :XX: :cheering: :XX: :cheering: :XX: :cheering: :XX:

They're still a little wet though...

Ingrid
09-04-2005, 11:19 AM
They look great! :thumbsup:

jodstr2
09-04-2005, 11:22 AM
:happydance: nice! congratulations! :happydance:

KellyK
09-04-2005, 11:27 AM
FANNNNTASTIC! :cheering:

mshelton
09-04-2005, 11:33 AM
I finished my cosy shawl :happydance: so I back to knitting clogs. About to start on my third pair, but this time I'm trying one strand of bulky wool. But I have a late question. On one of the training videos, it mentioned that if you use the long tail cast on that you can count that row as knit row one. So my question is if you guys usually count the cast on row as row one or are you casting on and-- then knitting a row 1. The first two, I think I counted the cast on row as the knitted row one and this time I casted on and then knitted a row one. Maybe it would only be important if you wanted to control the width? I'm also having problems trying to figure out what sizes to knit. If I wanted to knit a men's size 9, then would I make a women's large? I noticed that the pattern says "up to" size whatever so maybe I should knit the men's 11 and felted it more to smaller size of 9? Also, later, I want to make one pair of clogs in a men's large but make AA in width. Any suggestions?

Regarding the bumper question, I also ended up with one bumper down and second one up, but I frogged that part and had to redo it and it came out right the second time. I couldn't even tell you what I did different :oops: I do know that I went counterclockwise so I think that should be the direction that you go in. I just picked up the stitch in both cases. All of the connecting of the soles and the bumper is still very hard and awkward for me. I may try going to a 29 inch circular instead of the 24 inch to see if that is easier so you have to cram all the stitches of the sole together. Has anyone knitted these on a 29 inch?

GlenBoRTR
09-04-2005, 11:34 AM
My LYS told me that I could use a "bulky weight yarn", instead of "holding 2 worsted weights together"... Has anyone tried this?? Do ya think there'd be a price difference???

GlenBoRTR
09-04-2005, 11:37 AM
I read in this thread that some people dry their clogs in the dryer... Is this a good idea??? I've just been letting my felted stuff air dry.

KellyK
09-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Glen, I have dried my clogs in the dryer...just know that they will shrink a smidge more....but, no harm done!

I have been using WOTA, so each pair is costing about 10 bucks...I cant imagine doing them for cheaper than that!

I dont think at 29" needle would work...I have even switched to slightly smaller than 24" because by the time one is almost to the end of the uppers, with all the decreases, the sts barely fit around the 24".

I think the difference in upward or downward facing bumpers is knitting them from the "outside" or the "inside" of the bumper rows. Mine have always curled up. Im gonna try to knit my next pair with it curling down. We shall see what happens!

Julie
09-04-2005, 02:42 PM
mshelton, I use long-tail cast-on, and then knit row one after that. My clogs appear fine...I never even thought about it til I just read your post. :??

gimmesanity
09-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Glen, they look fabulous!! Good job! :thumbsup:

KellyK
09-05-2005, 02:10 AM
Before felting....WOTA in Stream and Mist.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/ft_clogs_for_jason.jpg

KellyK
09-05-2005, 12:22 PM
I forgot to tell y'all....I gave the recipient one clog in a gift bag on Saturday...here's what I wrote about that in my blog..

Then JC opened his slipper (the other was still on needles at the time) SOOOOOOOOOO funny! I HIGHLY recommend that everyone give their FT clogs UNfelted. He thought it was an oven mitt! :?? Then he thought maybe a hat! Hee hee! When I told him it was a slipper, I chose not to explain the rest of the story at first. To watch someone TRYING to be NICE about that is HYSTERICAL. :roflhard: One of the other guests snatched it & put BOTH of his feet in it & said, "Yeah! For when you're watching TV with your feet up on the coffee table!!" They should be coming over today for dinner and felting. :cheering:

Danielle
09-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Hi everyone,
I am LOVING the clogs that you all are knitting. I was thinking about buying the pattern for them, but wanted to know if they were difficult to knit before I spend $$ on a pattern. I have only been knitting for about 8 months, (have made scarves, hats, & purses so far). So I was wondering if these would be a good project for me...Let me know your opinions...Thanks!

Ingrid
09-05-2005, 09:07 PM
If you know how to read a pattern and knit, you shouldn't have any problems with this pattern. It's only about $5, and we're all here to help should you need it.

KellyK
09-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I've only been knitting since January. Ive now made 4 pairs! Its alot of counting, you really have to pay attention, but its not difficult. TOTALLY worth the 5 bucks! Amy has videos for every skill you need, and of course, there's all of us nuts here! :mrgreen:

Julie
09-05-2005, 11:12 PM
I've only been knitting since Jaunary too! I think one of the neat things about this pattern is that it incorporates a lot of skills, but it's not overwhelming at all. There's a touch of short row shaping (which I hadn't really done bofore, but now I am not scared of it!), knitting in the round, three-needle bind off...and of course felting...it's really a great "learning" pattern for a confident beginner. :D

Shelly
09-06-2005, 01:13 AM
I may try going to a 29 inch circular instead of the 24 inch to see if that is easier so you have to cram all the stitches of the sole together. Has anyone knitted these on a 29 inch?

Mshelton~~ I used 29 inch for my clogs and they came out great! I may knit a bit losser than some. But if you look at the pic of the one clog I posted here before, it was done on a 29 inch . I could not find a 24 inch and I asked at my Lys and they said it should work and it did :happydance: I still have to post a pic of them here. I'm in the process of trying to get another camera.

GlenBoRTR~~~Your clogs look great! :cheering:

Holly
09-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I hope that I didn't just spend a fortune on the wrong supplies :crying: I went to the LYS an asked for the pattern, and they pointed me in the direction of the yarn I would need. However, instead of worsted weight, and holding 2 strands together, they told me to get a bulky weight. (I don't have the label with me, or I'd tell you exactly what name brand.) I had sticker shock when I purchased all the yardage I would need, but after reading the pattern it noted that the yardage requirement was taking into account that you needed a double strand of worsted. Soooooo...will the clogs work out using 1 strand of bulky?? :pray: If so, I probably just bought enough for 2 pairs of clogs which would be a :cheering: moment ;) .

Also, I was doing some gauge testing, and I think I would need to go up a size in needles. However, I started worrying that the problem was that I was using bulky weight instead of 2 strands of worsted. Hmmm.

HELP -- I'M SCARED TO START!!

Holly

mshelton
09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
When I did a search for the Fibertrends clogs, I found some web sites that noted that they had used bulky weight with no problems. I'm almost finished with a pair in one strand of bulky weight (hope to finish today) and I will let you know how they turn out if you want.

Thanks to everyone for their replies to my questions in the earlier post. P.s. I've only been knitting for about 2 months so I say ---go for it!!!!

Holly
09-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Mshelteon -- Yes! Please let me know how it worked out :D Did you have to adjust your needle size? The yarn they suggested was cascade 128.

Thanks! Holly

mshelton
09-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I used the size 13 needle. As I understand it, 2 strands of worst weigh yarn equals one strand bulky so there shouldn't be a problem. I am still working the last sole. I have two more rows and then to attach it and I've have both done. I got tired and distracted last night so I had to frog the last sole and start it over. I will post a pic when I get them felted.

mshelton
09-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Here's a picture of my three pairs of clogs. The green/brown women's medium is in WOTA, the large blue is in Cascade 220, and the men's medium grey is in Paton Upcountry bulky. I made the blue clogs with the bumper and the grey with the higher back. I just started another blue/green WOTA pair.

Shelly
09-08-2005, 11:06 AM
mshelton great job on the clogs! :cheering: :cheering:

jodstr2
09-08-2005, 11:27 AM
:happydance: :heart: yay mshelton! they look GREAT!!! :heart: :happydance:

KellyK
09-08-2005, 12:39 PM
They look REALLY good!

I wish there was some way to make the back higher without also increasing the height on the top of the foot....

Ingrid
09-08-2005, 04:11 PM
You've become quite the clog lady! Great work they look wonderful!

jodstr2
09-08-2005, 10:58 PM
does anyone think the upper is too loose? like, the bottom is the right length and width, but the upper is too roomy :thinking: :???

my coworker's 2 pairs and CV's pair are too loose on the upper. I just threw his in the wash again to try to shrink that part. hopefully if the bottom gets too small it will stretch with use :pray:.

how hard would it be to alter the pattern to make the upper smaller :thinking: :???

Ingrid
09-09-2005, 07:47 AM
My uppers are a bit roomy, too. I think the easiest way to make them smaller would be to use a smaller needle. I know that I wouldn't want to deal with the math!

KellyK
09-09-2005, 08:25 AM
I think the men's sizes are designed with wider feet in mind....they have those extra short rows.

Danielle
09-10-2005, 08:13 PM
I just bought my clog pattern off of eBay...I'm gonna try knitting a pair when the pattern arrives...I hope I can do it....What brand of yarn is best for the clogs?

Ingrid
09-10-2005, 08:17 PM
I think most of the clogs here were knit with Wool of the Andes from Knit Picks and Cascade 220. The Knit Picks yarn is less expensive and from what I can see, they knit up and felt just about the same. I used the 220 because I already had it.

InterNette
09-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Well the idiot is lost once again. I started last night my first clog, of course I would start on a saturday night when there is no way my local yarn shop is open until monday. I am at the very beginning and i am thinking " what the Fudge is this?" I made my gauge and could actually figure out that the before felted and after felted where switched in a typo. I did knit 1 row and on row 2 no way can all those stitches equal the cast on number that I did. What is W & t? i know it means wrap and turn but I dont get it. I couldnt find a video to help me either. I am sure it is so easy I will turn beet red in embarassment but I just dont get it. Can someone explain in simple terms? :??

Ingrid
09-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Row 2 is the Queen of short row shaping. It seems to go on forever. Basically you're knitting the middle of your stitches for more rows than the end stitches, so some will be knit only a row or two and the middle ones will be knit more.

When you get to the wrap and turn, slip one stitch, wrap your yarn, put that stitch back, and turn the work around and start knitting in the other direction until the next w & t. You'll see that the middle section will get deeper and deeper as you deep doing this.

InterNette
09-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Well I'll be gosh-darned, it worked. Amazing, i actually had the correct number of stitches when I finished this new fangled short row business. Ingrid, you saved me again, what a wonderful gal you are. Hopefully I wont have any more hold ups, but I am not holding my breath. I guess now I know what a short row is, heard it discussed before but never knew what you all were talking about.

Ingrid
09-11-2005, 10:20 AM
It's amazing what following directions will get you! :roflhard:

KellyK
09-11-2005, 11:31 AM
If anyone else reading this is confuddled by the W&T instructions on the pattern, check out Amy's video on "Short Row With Wrap". Its a good'un!!!

Vendie
09-11-2005, 06:57 PM
I just bought the Clog pattern at my LYS today - must be popular, they had to special order it b/c they ran out. Luckily they had a store copy left, so they let me have that one until the original arrives!!! Yay :cheering: I can make clogs too!

Just need to figure out a color combination now....

InterNette
09-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Short row with wrap, so thats where the video was under. Of course that helps now that I know what a short row is . Well now that I have seen the video I am sure I am doing it wrong, however I am an english knitter and this is a wee bit confusing. I reread Ingrid directions and they dont seem to go along exactly as the video. On the video the turn is coming first, is this important?
Ok so now that I have torn this all apart. I am back to row 2 again and the video shows it going from knit, then the wrap and turn and then it is purl. My directions say knit not purl, does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Ok I spent a lot of time reading the whole clog postings, Blueslady asked the same question and she figured it out, I still am not. if i wrap and turn like the video shows, then I will be purling since my thread is on front now, but I keep hearing trust the pattern, and my pattern says W&T, k33 how is that possible? If there was smiling crying and pulling his hair out I would insert that one here.

Ingrid
09-11-2005, 09:15 PM
According to the directions on the clogs, you work to the turning point, slip the next stitch as if to purl, bring the yarn forward between the needles, return the slip stitch. Now the yarn is in front of your work. When you turn it it will be in the back of your work, ready to knit.

Julie
09-11-2005, 10:43 PM
I believe the video says to purl because she is knitting in stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl one row, repeat) but the clog soles are kint in garter stitch, which is knitting every row. So go by the pattern instructions and keep knitting! :D

KellyK
09-11-2005, 11:17 PM
oh...sorry....didnt mean to confuse ya! I only meant to watch the video to get the idea and a visual. Pattern instructions always trump the videos! :shifty:

InterNette
09-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Ok back to the drawing board, thank you everyone for your tolerance. Ingrid your instructions the first time were right, the second post i followed and it came out exactly like you said the first time so i am going to go with them and see what appears. I am grateful, thank you.

Ingrid
09-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Whew!

jodstr2
09-12-2005, 11:26 AM
yeowww... thank goodness for felting :oops: because I totally made some crazy sloppy mistake stitches :doh: on my 2nd clog upper... at least felting is forgiving and hides most things :shock: :pray: :D! I hope to finish and throw these in the wash tonight.

lisa e
09-12-2005, 10:30 PM
One foot down one on the needles. Almost in the home stretch. I LOVE this pattern. I do have to admit that I yelled at Twig in chat the other night cuz she failed to warn me about attaching the second sole. OY! That was the hardest part of the whole thing! I am loving this pattern though! I had to frog the first try at it cuz it was wrong, wrong, wrong and now its perfect. Can't wait to get it felted and on my cold footsies!

Ingrid
09-12-2005, 10:50 PM
:cheering: :cheering: To be honest, I think we all did a little frogging the first time through! I know I did.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-12-2005, 10:51 PM
i might finish my first pair this weekend!!!

Julie
09-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Lisa, take heart! Attaching the sole gets easier. After I did the first one (high F Factor) I thought I would never make another pair...but the second was easier, and the third and fourth even more so. That's one thing I love about this pattern -- I really got more comfortable with a number of skills I hadn't used a lot before. :thumbsup:

jodstr2
09-13-2005, 02:12 PM
:oops: was 3/4 of the way around the sole of the 2nd clog binding off when I realized that I forgot to keep the stitches on the needle to make the bumper. I'll be frogging at the noontime work knitting session today (where is the frogging icon? LOL...).

InterNette
09-13-2005, 07:50 PM
I am a frogging fool for these. I may finish a pair without a mistake by christmas, the idea of doing a dozen doesnt seem like a good idea any longer.

KellyK
09-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Your second pair will go SOOOO much faster and easier than your first, I PROMISE! Keep the faith! :thumbsup:

jodstr2
09-13-2005, 11:42 PM
I found a solution to the too-roomy upper. maybe this will work with the mens' sizes too (I say maybe because of the extra rows) :pray: :thinking:.

if you want a snuggier upper, keep shrinking the heck out of the whole clog.
they will stretch a bit with wear. so, taking into account that the sole may get a teeeeeeny bit too short, keep on shrinking it.
mine fit *almost* like thick wool socks :happydance:. not as tight, but they definitely conform to my whole foot :happydance:.
this is the longest time I ever spent felting something - 45 min in the wash. I had to add hot water a couple of times.
will attempt to shrink CV's pair again :pray: when he has time to keep trying them on :thinking: :|.

jodstr2
09-14-2005, 09:18 PM
I wuv my cloggies! :D

KellyK
09-14-2005, 09:22 PM
I think you win the prize for FUNNEST clogs!! They look GREAT!

Jazzmatazz
09-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Can I have them? My cranberry and snickerdoodles are almost finished. I ordered avocado and pumpkin to make another pair. But I lurve yours.

Ingrid
09-14-2005, 09:33 PM
They look fantabulous!!

InterNette
09-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Those are incredible. I love yours? Is that the low heel or the higher heel? Man those I would buy!!!! I can only hope mine come close, Iam sooooo impressed.

lisa e
09-14-2005, 09:44 PM
:cheering: :heart: :cheering: :heart: :cheering: :heart:

Those are awesome!! I hope mine come out half that good.

gimmesanity
09-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Those are too cool! Good job, LOVE :heart: :heart: :heart: the colors!

jodstr2
09-14-2005, 10:50 PM
:oops: Thank you ladies! :D
the colors were quite accidental - they were originally meant for a bag for mom, but they're too bright for her. they're starting to grow on me. the pink is actually MUUUUCH brighter than what shows up in the pics. :D

Julie
09-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Jodi, is that WOTA? If not, what yarn? I am too lazy to page back and look!

They are fabulous!! :D

jodstr2
09-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Those are incredible. I love yours? Is that the low heel or the higher heel? Man those I would buy!!!! I can only hope mine come close, Iam sooooo impressed.

yes, I did the 2 extra rows for the more closed heel. don't worry. yours will turn out just fine!!! :thumbsup: :D

jodstr2
09-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Jodi, is that WOTA? If not, what yarn? I am too lazy to page back and look!

They are fabulous!! :D

thank you! :D
they're Cascade 220.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-15-2005, 08:49 PM
yay jod!!!! looks great!

InterNette
09-15-2005, 09:39 PM
I hate these *&^%^%^* things.

Ingrid
09-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Oh Annette! Hang in there. Lock yourself in the bathroom and don't come out! Maybe you could write out each step on a paper and cross it out as you complete it? Do you think that would help? (I read your other post about this.) When someone interrupts me when I'm counting I just start counting really, really loud. They get the hint!

Shelly
09-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Jodstr2 your clogs are very nice! :cheering: :cheering:

I decided to post a picture of mine here drying. These are for my Dh.

Ingrid
09-16-2005, 07:57 AM
Very nice Shelly!! I like those colors. :thumbsup:

KellyK
09-16-2005, 11:09 AM
I am now SO sad that I chose grey for all of my clog soles! You guys are making MUCH FUNNER clogs than me.... :(

Is that green and PURPLE, Shelley?? LOVE 'EM!

Julie
09-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Wait until you see my next pair, KK! Two almost-five-year olds picked out the colors. :roflhard:

KellyK
09-16-2005, 12:31 PM
YAYYYYYY! :cheering: I DID pick funner colors for the kids....my little girl pairs are gonna be WOTA tulip and violet! And, maybe a pair in cherry blossom, hyacinth and daffodil!

jodstr2
09-16-2005, 02:52 PM
I hate these *&^%^%^* things.

aw. hang in there. it took 3 tries on my second clog (1st pair) and 2 tries on my second clog (2nd pair) to get it right. you'll be fine.

jodstr2
09-16-2005, 02:54 PM
YAYYYYYY! :cheering: I DID pick funner colors for the kids....my little girl pairs are gonna be WOTA tulip and violet! And, maybe a pair in cherry blossom, hyacinth and daffodil!

tulip and violet is the #1 combination I'd pick! great choices, KK! :cheering:

Shelly
09-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks everyone !! :D I still don't know what color mine are going to be and a pair for my son yet. So I still have two more pairs to do. The toddler pair for my son shouldn't take too long I hope. I still have to order the pattern on line because my LYS does not have it.

KellyK wrote:

Is that green and PURPLE, Shelley?? LOVE 'EM!

KellyK they are Old Sage (the green color) and Clemantis (the purple color).

jodstr2
09-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Jodstr2 your clogs are very nice! :cheering: :cheering:

I decided to post a picture of mine here drying. These are for my Dh.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/Shellymae/Dhsshoesdrying0002.jpg

thank you Shelly :heart:! I like yours too :D!

Julie
09-18-2005, 01:00 AM
:roflhard: Kelly, Tulip and Violet are the colors the girls chose! It came today, and you should have seen how excited they were!

I was a little disappointed, as the purple is much lighter than on my screen, and the pink is much darker. Go figure, I haven't had any color matching issues with Knitpicks so far...but they love the colors. :D

lisa e
09-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Row 20 on second foot.......I'm almost in the home stretch.

KellyK
09-18-2005, 10:09 AM
The Tulip and Violet have been the only colors that actually MATCH what's on MY screen! :lol: Go figure..... :??

I think Im gonna do those next...I need some fun colors! :cheering:

Julie
09-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Me too! If I can finish the last sleeve of my sweater today, fun clogs start tomorrow! (Every time I see my goddaughter, she has been like, "Is my yarn here yet? Is my yarn here yet?" Now that she has seen it, she will be asking, "did you knit my clogs yet?") :D

Jazzmatazz
09-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Two things: (1) Am I the only one who keeps seeing the word "clogs" and my brain is saying "DOGS"?

(2) The summer swing top is adorable, what kind of yarn are you using, Kelly?

Well, 3 things: I'm ready to attach the second sole of my 3rd clog and finally felt. The 3rd? Yes, I made one wrong side out and had to start over. It was almost finished before it dawned on me, that's what I get for knitting and talking at the same time. I have to say, these clogs get so much easier with every one I make. I'm a fairly new knitter and I'm starting to see things I never understood before.

KellyK
09-18-2005, 11:02 AM
The whole discussion about that SS top starts HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43389#43389).

I think you should felt that inside out clog & see what happens! it'll be like a science experiment!

Ingrid
09-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Two things: (1) Am I the only one who keeps seeing the word "clogs" and my brain is saying "DOGS

I keep thinking that CLOG is such an ugly word. :| I keep envisioning greasy clumps in a drain. :(

Danielle
09-18-2005, 01:35 PM
I have a few extra balls of Noro Kureyon and was wondering if I could use it to make the clogs?? Thanks!

KellyK
09-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Noro is bulky, yes? You may have to do a little futzing with the gauge, but I bet they would be GAWGEOUS!

Danielle
09-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks KK, I think I'm gonna try it.... :XX:

Jazzmatazz
09-18-2005, 02:09 PM
I think you should felt that inside out clog & see what happens! it'll be like a science experiment!

I frogged the upper so I could use it again. I truly thought about felting it to see what would happen, but changed my mind.

Thanks for the link to the other discussion.

jodstr2
09-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Danielle - just a teeny word of warning: in my experience, Kureyon - tho it gets REALLY soft and cushy and squishy and soothing after felting - used alone doesn't shrink as much as other yarns. but your cloggies will be gorgeous :heart: :D !!!

please let us know how yours turn out. I'm trying to decide how I want to incorporate multi colors into the clogs. I have a bunch of Kureyon I'm considering knitting alongside with 220 or WOTA to attain proper shrinkage.

KellyK
09-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Do you think she should knit the next size down, maybe?

jodstr2
09-18-2005, 03:01 PM
eesh. I'm not sure if Kureyon-only is gonna work.
next size down may be good - perhaps even 2 sizes down will be better... :thinking: :??

the only things I have here that I can compare that had the same prefelted measurements are some i-cords:

***my prefelted measurement 36" Kureyon-only i-cords are now postfelted 34". and really soft. I think they're too flimsy for a clog, but that's personal preference.

***prefelted 36" Cascade 220-only i-cords that are now postfelted 26".

a better prediction may come from you guys/gals who've knitted the Booga out of Kureyon only. how much did it shrink?

:thinking:

koolbreeze
09-18-2005, 07:56 PM
i got my FT clogs patterns friday!! i got kid sizes and my size whoo hoo!!!!

my computer was sicky poo last week not its well again and we got windows XP!!!! it is the best! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :happydance:

Ingrid
09-18-2005, 07:58 PM
I was wondering where you were! Now you're back and better than ever with soon-to-be-warm feet. Except for the baby. She's got plenty warm feet!

jodstr2
09-18-2005, 08:17 PM
:happydance: yay yay yay Carmell!!! join the party!!! :happydance: