PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Trends Clogs - The ULTIMATE RESOURCE

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Julie
10-11-2005, 01:24 PM
I just finished pair #5! Another kid pair, size small, in WOTA Cranberry and natural. One skein of WOTA is enough to do the cuffs, outer soles, and bumpers, in case anyone was wondering. The first soles & uppers used about 60g. of yarn (natural). (I love my new kitchen scale! It comes in so handy for weighing yarn to see if I'm going to run out!)

Also, this time I knit one of them flat, just so see how it would go. It was no problem, as the seam is like 5 stitches -- so don't let the lack of a circ keep you from doing these! :D

Ingrid
10-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Those are cute! I hope they felt ok for you. :pray:

Julie
10-11-2005, 01:38 PM
In my experience the natural WOTA felts beautifully!! I just hope the colors don't run...has anyone else felted it with another color??

KellyK
10-11-2005, 01:51 PM
CUTE, Jul!!!

margie
10-12-2005, 02:11 PM
The monster clogs are finished!! I am going to go to the shoe store this weekend with a piece of paper and pen- I am going to trace a size 13 shoe, then measure it in inches, and order that size suede sole. After the suede sole gets here, I will felt the clogs to fit the sole. Next, I think I am going to do my clogs!!!

Ingrid
10-12-2005, 02:41 PM
I like them in the two colors of yarn--I may try that for my other pair. But boy! They are enormous!! :shock:

mshelton
10-12-2005, 03:59 PM
I completed pair 4 and 5. I have ordered more yarn from Knitpicks. But I only had some Daffodil and winter night left over. So I used the yellow and blue together for the top sole, bumper and cuff, and the blue for the bottom sole. They came out a lime green and I actully like the speckled effect of the combined yarn.

Ingrid
10-12-2005, 04:02 PM
That is a very nice effect! The clogs look great!

margie
10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
those look great!! I like the two colors together, too. I am going to start on my clogs next- I can't wait to see how they felt, since I am using a varigated yarn that is lime green and three shades of blue.

Danielle
10-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Everyone's clogs look great!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'm working on my dad's clogs now...WOTA coal & mist. I'll post pics when I finish them.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-13-2005, 03:41 PM
i KNOW kk, stop harassing me!!!! Since I'm making them for SIL, I've been putting it off b/c I'm angry at her. I just have to sew on a few beads.

I finished the sole for the second pair yesterday. I'm home sick from school today and tomorrow, so I should be able to do a lot of knitting!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-13-2005, 03:42 PM
and I meant to add, i LOVE the two color effect!!!!! I might steal that idea!

KellyK
10-13-2005, 04:06 PM
VERY cool stuff, MShelton!

InterNette
10-13-2005, 04:43 PM
I been trying with two colors all along, I was told I would be able to tell my rows if I tried solids. I still like the two colors though.

Annasmommy
10-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Ok, I know, Trust the Pattern. But, I was reading ahead last night. I'm gettting ready to do the three needle cast off at the cuff, and I was looking ahead to the second sole. Nowhere was there directions for sewing up the inner sole. What does it do during felting? Oh, and I love this pattern. I really didn't find it to be difficult at all, and it is very quick. The counting wasn't bad, since I count on everything I knit. I didn't find it hard to look back at the stitching to figure out where I left off as long as I knew about where I ended before setting it down. If you are at least familiar with short rows, it's a piece of cake! (mmmm, cake) But please, don't forget, What happens to the inner sole?
Thanks

Ingrid
10-14-2005, 08:59 AM
The inner sole is knitted first--it's connected to the upper. You stitch it closed after you finish the top of the clog. then you knit and add the outer sole. You tack them together and it all felts. No special treatment or attention needed.

jodstr2
10-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Question:

I think someone on here has used Cascade 220 then used WOTA for their cloggies.
how do the 2 yarns compare: texture-wise, thickness-wise, and stretchiness-wise?
the pics of the finished WOTA clogs look softer and fuzzier.
the reason I'm asking is I've only worked with 220 so far, but all my Christmas gift cloggies will be in WOTA, and I'm wondering what adjustments I need to make.

:heart: thanks! :heart:

jodstr2
10-14-2005, 11:10 AM
oh yes! Danielle, margie, Julie and mshelton - :inlove: VERY nice!!! :inlove: :thumbsup:
I can't wait to start my first Christmas pair tonight - Evergreen upper and Winter Night sole, mens size 11.

KellyK
10-14-2005, 12:26 PM
I've SEEN clogs made with Cascade, but have only MADE them with WOTA. The cascade clogs felted thicker. But, I wouldnt make any pattern adjustments....I think the difference will come when you felt them....I have a feeling that WOTA takes a smidge longer.

Ingrid
10-14-2005, 12:38 PM
I did my one pair with 220. I don't think you need to make any adjustments either. Just check them when they're felting.

jodstr2
10-14-2005, 12:49 PM
soooper! thanks ladies :D :heart: :thumbsup: !!!

yarn_newbie
10-14-2005, 05:49 PM
I got my pattern yesterday and am getting ready to order WOTA from Knitpicks. After seeing kellyK's clogs for her MIL, I decided that mine will the same combo- hollyberry and mist.

But having trouble deciding the colors for DH's. Has anyone tried chococlate and tan? Else what other color combos look good for men?

Thanks,
Subha

jodstr2
10-14-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm doing a Fern upper with Chestnut sole for my dad. it looks weird in theory but I think he'll like it. he likes his browns and greens.

I'm also doing Evergreen upper/Winter Night sole, and another pair in Mist upper/Spruce sole.

InterNette
10-14-2005, 08:10 PM
those names make them sound even better. I think you should include the names on the gift tags.
A custom made evergreen in the winters night felted clog for you my dearest father.

KellyK
10-14-2005, 10:12 PM
LOVE that idea, Nette!

With all my Mist soles, it'll make everything sound MYSTERIOUS or something!

jodstr2
10-14-2005, 10:53 PM
cranberries in the mist
evergreen in the winter's night
violets in the stream
mulled wine in the winter's night
spruces in the mist
coal in the mist

(LOL - sounds like that movie Gorillas In The Mist)

I :heart: :heart: :heart: it!!!
GREAT IDEA, ANNETTE!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
10-15-2005, 09:48 AM
violets in the stream
Now Ive got Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton stuck in my head... :rollseyes:

(Name that tune!!)

Vendie
10-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Islands in the stream, that is what we are...something something something...i don't know any of the words...uh huuuuhhhhh.

:roflhard:

KellyK
10-15-2005, 11:04 AM
no one in between
how can we be wrong
sail away with me
to another world
and we'll rely on each other uh huhhhh
from one lover to another uh huhhhh

:cheering: FG!

I have the lyrics to every song Ive ever hears clogging up my head. :rollseyes:

jodstr2
10-15-2005, 01:25 PM
violets in the stream
that is what I knit
knitting in my dream
oh I hope they fit

clog away with me
in our knitting world
and we'll keep hel-ping each other
uh huhhhhh
from one upper to another
uh huhhhhh

Julie
10-15-2005, 01:27 PM

liznwillow
10-15-2005, 01:27 PM
:rofling: :roflhard: :roflhard: :thumbsup: AWESOME!

KellyK
10-15-2005, 01:29 PM
:roflhard: :cheering: :roflhard: :cheering: :roflhard:

Ingrid
10-15-2005, 01:59 PM
:cheering: BRAVO! :cheering:

margie
10-15-2005, 02:32 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

I wish I could come up with something equally witty, but I can't!!

:notworthy:

margie
10-15-2005, 06:35 PM
I finished one of my clogs- what do you think? I love the way it looks now, but am wondering how the colors in the varigated yarn will felt.

Julie
10-15-2005, 07:20 PM
oooooooh...I bet they will look fabulous!! :D

liznwillow
10-15-2005, 08:55 PM
ohhhhh I love those colors!!! :inlove: What kind of yarn is that???

Ingrid
10-15-2005, 09:11 PM
I agree! I like that I've put off making my second pair because I'm getting all these great ideas.

My sister loves the clogs, so I'll be making her a pair. She doesn't think they'll be appropriate for her daughter, so those are out. I'm definitely going to mix colors for the top!!

KellyK
10-15-2005, 09:52 PM
OOOH MARGIE!!!! I bet those are gonna be the PRETTIEST clogs YET! Cant WAIT! HURRY!!!! :cheering:

margie
10-15-2005, 09:54 PM
ohhhhh I love those colors!!! :inlove: What kind of yarn is that???

I used plymouth for the soles and cuffs- the picture doesn't show it very well, but the inner sole is bright blue and the outer sole is the same color as the cuff. The upper is cascade. My husband and I watched a movie tonight, and I was able to finish the 1st sole for the 2nd clog. Movies and knitting don't mix very well for me- if I have to count a lot! I did the sole, and then at the end of the movie I worked on my grandmother's bag- no counting. Hopefully I'll finish the 2nd clog by Monday sometime!!

Ingrid
10-16-2005, 06:22 PM
I joined the bandwagon of varigated tops. It looks a little garish in real life, but I'm sure it will mute a little when I felt it. It's ok, though, my sister can be a little garish at times, too. :roflhard: The blue is not exact in the picture. When I felt them, I'll take a pic outside. It's a little darker. I made the inner yellow and the outer blue. Then I realized that I had to tack them together. I just tried to catch some of the inner sole as I sewed up the outer.

On to number 2.

KellyK
10-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Those are gonna be SOOOO cool!!

foothills
10-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Yes Ingrid...they are "cool"...you need to be a roaming teacher...roam on down to NC with your daughter :roflhard:

Ingrid
10-16-2005, 07:25 PM
If I make it down there, I'll be sure to let you know! ;)

Hey! That's what I'll do, I'll get a van, and travel from town to town, going through neighborhoods like the ice cream man!!!

liznwillow
10-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Ingrid, those are going to be great! Now I wish I had bought different colors of yarn for my clog projects. I finally got the patterns yesterday and I BETTER get my yarn before I leave for DC or some heads are gonna roll! :roflhard: I have to work on these clogs with my SIL so she can hold my hand and be my support system. I'm a little nervous!!

I know, I know... trust the pattern. :rollseyes:

humblestumble
10-16-2005, 08:37 PM
I guess I better join this... I'll be getting my pattern in the mail soon! Can't wait :) :happydance:

Ok, I'm a size 7 and 1/2 what size should I knit mine? And is any wool that felts okay for this pattern? I was thinking maybe Paton's? There's not a lot of cheap wool yarn 'round these parts.

KellyK
10-16-2005, 09:50 PM
I would make the 8...and, any worsted weight wool that felts will be fine....its double-stranded throughout.

margie
10-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Ingrid, I like your clogs!! You can see the outer sole color on the inside of mine where I tacked the two soles together- I didn't realize how much it showed until I was finished- but I told myself it won't show as much when it felts, and it is on the inside of the clog, anyway!!

I didn't get much knitting time in today. I decided that I couldn't stand the filthy house anymore, and did some heavy cleaning. Tonight I finished row 33, and will do the cuff and 2nd sole tomorrow!!! Yay!! :cheering:

humblestumble
10-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Thanks Kelly! Just a few more questions...

Are they loose to wear? And can you wear them out of the house or are they mostly just for lounging'?

Ingrid
10-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Margie--I'm at the same spot on mine--just finished row 33 on the second clog. Time to call it a night. It just occurred to me if you tack it with the inner sole color, it'll be on the bottom and nobody will see it. :thinking:

Humblestumble--They're not tight fitting as a rule, but if you made them that way they would be. Wearing them outside a lot would wear them out quickly, I'd imagine. They are just wool.

KellyK
10-16-2005, 11:27 PM
HS, you just kinda wash them until they fit the way you want them to... :thumbsup:

Here are my BORING clogs for SIL....Snickerdoodle & Mist. I am REALLY regretting my decision to knit most of the soles in the very FUNCTIONAL Mist...Im all JEALOUS of the COLORFUL clogs that Im seeing! :(

humblestumble
10-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Those are so pretty :) I want some green ones. :thumbsup:

misstialouise
10-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Is there no downloadable option for this pattern?

1. I don't want to pay 3 times the amount for the pattern to have it sent in a timely manner
or
2. I don't want to wait 4-6 weeks for it..

<sigh>

Julie
10-17-2005, 01:44 AM
Unfortunately it's not available in a downloadable form. Have you tried either of the Australian sources (http://www.fibertrends.com/sources7.html#Australia) listed on the Fiber Trends site?

jcmom
10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
I thought I finally "got it" with the clog pattern and just joined the outer sole to the body using the bumper technique. My "bumper" looks like it's going to end up on the inside of the clog. Is this right? I can't tell from the picture, but how would you describe the bumper when it's done correctly? Thanks again for your help.

margie
10-17-2005, 01:55 PM
felting felting felting.........................pics to come soon!!!!!!!! :cheering:

Julie
10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Well, a picture would help...but I can show you what mine look like....

Ingrid
10-17-2005, 02:15 PM
It's on the outside. Look for the Knit Along (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2571) for lots of pictures.

Julie
10-17-2005, 02:19 PM
I can also tell you that the very first time I went to join the sole, I did it wrong, but was lucky to catch it pretty quickly!

It should look something like this when you join the soles:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/Image048.jpg

margie
10-17-2005, 02:37 PM
My clogs are done!! The soles came out a little wonky, but they are for me, so I don't care so much. I think it is hard to make them look as perfect when you do different colors for the 1st and 2nd sole.

Julie
10-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Way to go! They look great! :thumbsup:

KellyK
10-17-2005, 04:13 PM
MARGIE THOSE ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO COOL!!!! :cheering:

liznwillow
10-17-2005, 04:41 PM
They look AWESOME! great job!!

Ingrid
10-17-2005, 07:13 PM
:cheering: :cheering:

Jazzmatazz
10-17-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm loving those multi clogs!

Is anyone else having a hard time coming up with a new project? I love love love knitting the clogs because you can finish them quickly and they are not boring to knit. Now I want to try something else and can't quite decide what.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-17-2005, 08:49 PM
MORE CLOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

make them stripey, or so some felted embellishments on them (like mine which haven't been finished yet hahaha).

jcmom
10-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Thank you to those that replied to my question re: joining with a bumper and to whoever moved my post to the correct board.
The pic. of the seim-finished clog was a help and just reading it put into other words helped.
The first clog is done, yeah! Now I just hope I can remember what I did the times I got stuck.

margie
10-17-2005, 09:33 PM
jcmom, I found the 2nd clog to be SOOOOOO much easier than the first- I was amazed at how quickly it went. I had plenty of problems with the 1st, but it seemed to flow much better the 2nd time around. :D

Julie
10-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Me too...all the way through that first sole join, I was swearing like a sailor, thinking I'd never ever make them again. :roflhard: But the 2nd one goes so much more smoothly. :thumbsup: (I've made 5 pairs now!)

MaryS
10-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Margie,

I :heart: :heart: :heart: your colorful clogs!

Ingrid,

I know you're not a football fan, but thoses are PERFECT University of Michigan Maize and Blue cloggies!!! I LOVE them!!!

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary

MaryS
10-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Oh, I forgot to add to last post:

Jodi,

ABSOLUTLEY GREAT SONG!!!!!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Mary

margie
10-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Margie,

I :heart: :heart: :heart: your colorful clogs!

Ingrid,

I know you're not a football fan, but thoses are PERFECT University of Michigan Maize and Blue cloggies!!! I LOVE them!!!

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary

Mary, I thought the same thing about Ingrid's clogs- but we could never have those clogs in this house--------DH graduated from THE Ohio State University!!! I'll be making his scarlet and grey clogs shortly- they can spar with Ingrid's!! ;)

MaryS
10-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Margie,

Both my ex-husband and I graduated from U of Michigan, and our daughter just graduated (last June) from THE Ohio State University! :happydance:

It makes for some interesting phone calls (she's still in Columbus) on football Saturday's - some :shock: , and some :cheering: and lots of :roflhard: ! My brother went to Michigan State, and my niece is at Indiana, so we have lots of the bases covered! :thumbsup:

Mary

Julie
10-18-2005, 10:47 AM
I thought Michigan right away when I saw those too! :D

And....

What do you get when you knit FT clogs with a single strand of WOTA on US6 needles??

:cheering:

bitty clogs!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/bittyclog.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

liznwillow
10-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Oh. My. Gosh. Julie!!! Those are the cutest friggin' clogs EVER!

KellyK
10-18-2005, 11:02 AM
:roflhard: :heart: :roflhard: :heart: :roflhard:

What are you going to DO with those, Jul??? They are HYSTERICAL!!

MaryS
10-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Julie,

They're ADORABLE!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Mary

margie
10-18-2005, 11:17 AM
they look so cute! You should hang them from your rearview mirror!! :D

Julie
10-18-2005, 01:21 PM
HEE!

Well, I only made one, because I was using leftover yarn...I just can't wait to felt it, and see how much smaller it will get! I'm thinking maybe Christmas ornament...you knpw, to commemorate my first year of knitting... :D

margie
10-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Julie, that is a GREAT idea!!!! Now I want to make one, too!! Please post a pic when you felt it. :cheering:

Mer
10-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Julie, that is so cute! I'm going to have to start on a pair for my mom sometime soon. Ugh, I'm wondering if I'm actually going to have enough time to do all the Christmas presents I've planned!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-18-2005, 01:58 PM
pooooooooooooooooooo!

i'm at work and I can't see the picture!

:mad:

metalsgirl
10-18-2005, 02:06 PM
i've made it to the end of my first clog, but i have NO IDEA how to do a "very loose, short back stitch"

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julie
10-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Any ole stitch will do...I usually just loosely whipstitch mine. Really, you're going to felt it, which covers a multitude of errors. ;)

KellyK
10-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Try this:
http://www.knitting.co.nz/site/page_affix/toaffix_learntoknit13/

metalsgirl
10-18-2005, 02:34 PM
i was hoping that was going to be the answer:) i'm so excited to be almost finished and i didn't want to have to wait to figure out how the heck to back stitch a seam... BUT if anyone has a good web resource on it, i'd definitely be interested - my research did not pan out...

metalsgirl
10-18-2005, 02:36 PM
thanks KK

Annasmommy
10-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi All, I finished my clogs last weekend. Only took two weekends of here-n-there time. I haven't felted them yet, but they look good so far. I got my girlfriend addicted... I WANT A PICTURE OF MINI-CLOG!!!!! :inlove:

liznwillow
10-18-2005, 04:02 PM
WOOHOO!! I got my yaaaaarn... I got my yaaaarn... :happydance: Now I can take my supplies with me to DC to work on them!! :XX:

Julie
10-18-2005, 05:30 PM
:cheering:

liznwillow
10-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Ok - quick question... Sort of OT, not really. I am doing my swatch for my clogs to make sure my guage is on and, to be honest, I have never done a swatch before. :blush: Anyway, I did 9 sts for 9 rows because the guage says that there are 9 sts to 4 inches. Well, my 9 sts is only 3 inches. What should I do? BTW, I am using WOTA and size 13 needles.

Ingrid
10-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Did you double the yarn?

Julie
10-18-2005, 06:08 PM
When you swatch it's often recommended that you knit at least a 5 x 5 square to get an accurate measurement (no curling edges, cast on rows, other funny stuff). If you do that and still come out at 3 stitches per inch, I'd say knit a size up just to be safe. Really, it won't matter that much in the end, because of the felting...but personally I'd rather have to felt a little longer than stop felting when it's the right size, but not as dense as it should be...if that makes any sense.

liznwillow
10-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Did you double the yarn?

Yes... I did.

Julie, thanks for the tip to make a 5X5 square. I'll try that first. And, I totally agree with you on the felting a little longer!

Totalele
10-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Ok..I got a very silly question...but...umm... how hard are those clogs to make? Specially for a noobie butt as mine?

:lol:

I want honesty, people!

margie
10-18-2005, 09:09 PM
I guess it depends on how much of a newbie you really are- I considered myself to be somewhat of a newbie too when I made my first pair. The pattern calls for some skills that I wasn't familiar with- they are not hard, but it's just a matter of learning how to do them. There is a lot of counting, but you are counting short rows and they knit up quick. Lots of M1 increases!! The first clog was hard, and I posted lots of questions, but then it snapped in place and zoomed from there.

Ingrid
10-18-2005, 10:26 PM
You also have to be able to recognize which loops to pick up, and you have to do a three-needle bind off.

Julie
10-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Right -- I was going to say that the three-needle bind-off would probably be the trickiest thing for a newbie. Not that 3NBO is hard per se...but doing it in the round can be a bit foul-language-inducing. At least it was for me... :shock:

Totalele
10-18-2005, 10:50 PM
I guess I'll wait a bit... :shock: Hope to be able to learn this Christmas, though... :lol: If you know what I mean... ;)

KellyK
10-19-2005, 07:09 AM
TRY IT! There are videos for all the skills you need, and US to help you!! :mrgreen:

liznwillow
10-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Ok.. my guage is still the same after doing a 5X5 square. In fact, it takes 12 stitches to make 4". So, I am going to do the next size up. I hope they turn out.

Julie
10-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Wait! I'm such an idiot!!

You're knitting looser than the recommended gauge, not tighter! :doh: You should be able to stick with the correct size, not go bigger, duh. Sorry, I son't know what I was thinking!!

liznwillow
10-19-2005, 10:57 AM
No... not true. Otherwise there would be fewer stitches to the inch than more, right?

Annasmommy
10-19-2005, 03:54 PM
MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: MI-NI CLOG :drooling: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Julie
10-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Okay, let's see. If you knit 3 stitches per inch, and cast on say, 60 sitiches, your finished piece would be 20 inches long. If you knit 4 stitches per inch, your finished piece would be 15 inches long. So at 3sts/in, your finished piece is bigger than at 4. Right??

Ingrid
10-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Right. The few stitches per inch, the larger the piece will be.

MaggieL
10-19-2005, 08:12 PM
I still don't get bumpers. When it say to knit the two soles together as for cuff, does that mean to knit the first round and then purl the next 5 rounds? .... and then continue

Julie
10-19-2005, 08:15 PM
No, it's talking about the three-needle bind off you did for the cuff. Where you picked up the loops. Except when you do it for the sole, if you're adding a bumper, you don't bind off -- you just knit them together.

margie
10-19-2005, 08:18 PM
I don't have my pattern in front of me right now, but I think I know what you are reading. After you knit the 1st sole, the upper and then the cuff, you stitch the 1st sole closed. You then knit the 2nd sole- and attach it to the first sole, using the 3 needle bindoff like you did with the cuff. If you are going to do a bumper, you attach the 2nd sole without binding off- so when you are finished that part, the 2 soles are attached and you then knit the next row to create the bumper. Hope this makes sense!!

humblestumble
10-20-2005, 12:30 AM
I'm still awaiting my pattern...I can't wait til I get it!

margie
10-20-2005, 07:50 AM
Hope it comes soon, Angela!! I am wearing my clogs right now, and I can't believe how comfortable they are. :cheering:

KellyK
10-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Yknow, Liz...Ive been thinking about your gauge problem...I dont think you should worry about it for this patttern. I really think that since you felt them until they fit, the felting process will take care of any small discrepancy in gauge.

MaggieL
10-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks Julie.

liznwillow
10-20-2005, 07:37 PM
hey everyone! I'm in DC and having a great time. The day that we left (during nap time), I got, what I thought to be a great start on my first clog. Well, I was doing the SSK ALLLLL wrong! I just watched the video and feel totally dumb now. :lol: So, I have to frog my clog... it was looking REALLY weird and not at all like all the other beautiful clogs here, so I knew I was doing something wrong. I'm just going to frog it to the inner sole (hopefully). Wish me luck!

margie
10-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Awwww, I'm sorry you have to frog the clog (hey, that sounds funny! :lol: )

Good luck with the rest of it and have a great time in DC!!

Annasmommy
10-21-2005, 09:00 AM
I don't mean to be repetitious, but where's a picture of the felted mini clog??? :heart:

Julie
10-21-2005, 10:35 AM
It was in my other post, b ut some people couldn't see it. Let me try attaching it instead of linking to it...

ebrperk
10-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Well I am officially knitting along now. I got the first clog cast on last night and then got up this morning and worked on it some more. I am on row 20. I am so amazed at how they are turning out so far. I am TRUSTING THE PATTERN Kelly. They look pretty normal so far. One thing I don't recommend it making your very first pair in black.

Robin

KellyK
10-21-2005, 12:22 PM
I agree, Robin...its tough to see what the sts are doing with such a dark color.

Jul...I cant get enough of MINICLOG!!!

liznwillow
10-21-2005, 12:28 PM
KK, thanks for the advice about the guage. since I've already started the clogs, I'll just make them a little bigger and felt them down. Thanks though! ( I didn't see your post yesterday when I posted about frogging my clog :D)

Lucy Fan
10-21-2005, 01:24 PM
I really want to try these, but am afraid it's too advanced for me. I'm still learning to knit and have only learned the knit stich, purl stitch, and cable stitch. Will the clogs be too much too soon?

I don't want to overwhelm myself. I suppose I could always buy the pattern and practice some of the stitches before I start them.

Ingrid
10-21-2005, 03:38 PM
I don't think the knitting part is hard, but there are places where you have to pick up loops and bind off that could be confusing. I'd suggest buying the pattern, it's only about five dollars, and taking a look at it. It's not going to go bad, and if you want to try it, there are certainly a lot of people who can help!

humblestumble
10-21-2005, 03:38 PM
I haven't knit these yet either and I've been knitting for a year, but I do think that knitting isn't that hard overall, and as long as you go step by step (and not get confused by looking over it all at once) It could be a wonderful experience. That's what this knit a long business is for :) You ask when questions arise and we'll all help as soon as we notice the post ...then we can all party once you've finished and go clogging. :happydance: :balloons:

One step at a time...I'm learning multiple things by knitting my first pair of socks and I'm happy to say that I've never knit a scarf! It's fun to be ambitious. Who knows, maybe after the clogs you can consider yourself intermediate! Or maybe a skillful beginner ;)

All I got to say is no need to worry, because how are you going to get further along in knitting if you don't try somethin' new?

And if I haven't persuaded you, then that's fine. Just come back when you feel you are ready! Help is here for you. ;)

Julie
10-21-2005, 06:30 PM
I agree that sometimes it's just cool to grab something a little harder and jump in. I started Miss Dashwood (from Knitty) not even knowing their level-of-difficulty abbreviations (it was not a beginner project!!) when I'd only been knitting for a few months. It was hard, and I swore my way through it, but by the end I was soooo happy I had done it, I felt so accomplished. :D

We're always here to help!!

Lucy Fan
10-22-2005, 12:45 AM
According to the FT website there is a YS in the town where I work that has the pattern. Since I have never been in a YS it'll be the perfect excuse to go in to one, browse around and look at all the yarn, and buy the pattern. It doesn't hurt to look at it. If I have questions, there seems to be a wealth of knowledge right here for me. :mrgreen: I just love this site...it's awesome! I've been spending some time this evening watching the videos. Amy makes everything look so easy! I bet it's harder then it all looks. :)

I'll make it a point to buy the pattern next week...and who knows...I may just join in with you guys. :XX:

lisa e
10-22-2005, 02:20 AM
:cheering: :cheering:
Mine are done and one my feet.

Actually they have been done for a while now. I just keep forgetting to say anything about it.

humblestumble
10-22-2005, 02:53 AM
Got pics lisa e?

And Lucy...*whispers* Go get it... :-p I've been checking my mail EVERYDAY...ahh! But it's only been 5 days...*sigh*

KellyK
10-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Lucy...it may be worth calling first...my LYS was out of them & had to order it for me. Although, NO trip to the LYS is a BAD trip!!

ebrperk
10-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Angela--

It took a little over a week for me to get my pattern. I was like you and was waiting and waiting. I actually ordered the yarn after I ordered the pattern and I got the yarn first. Oh Well. I only ordered enough yarn for hubby's clogs and some yarn to make a pair of socks but I am looking at the color card trying to decide what color I want to make mine. Are three pairs too many???? I want to do a blue pair with chambray and winter night or blue bonnet for February when I go in and have the baby. Because after two little girls we are having a boy. I also want to make a pair that would be good for Christmas like cranberry and cloud. And then I just want to make a funky pair I thought maybe hyacinth and tulip. Any input would be appreciated.

Robin

Ingrid
10-22-2005, 12:07 PM
If you can sit without distraction--so you can follow the pattern easier--the clogs go really fast! The first one takes the longest because there are so many steps in some of the rows, but once you've done one, the way they go together becomes clear, so subsequent ones go much faster.

KellyK
10-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Tulip & Hyacinth are SO much fun together!! I made some for my niece, Julie made some for her dtr & a friend.

For baby-boy birthin' (congrats!!), I would stay away from the blue bonnet. Folks tend to be disappointed in that color when they receive it. What about Chambray & Mist?? That would be PREEETY!

Julie also made some cranbery/cloud if my memory serves me right.

What you MIGHT do is start at the very beginning of this thread and check out the pics of the clogs that we have all made. There are ALL kinds of color combos represented.

And, NO....three is NOT too many. When Christmas is over, I want more for myself, too! ;)

Julie
10-22-2005, 05:59 PM
I did make Cranberry and Natural (the undyed...looks like Cloud to me)...but I haven't felted them yet. I need to do so, and I will let you know if the colors bleed. I've put off felting them because I was thinking about duplicate stitching a snowflake or something on top....but I could always needle felt them too....

Jazzmatazz
10-23-2005, 08:20 AM
Cranberry didn't run at all with Snickerdoodle, so I don't know why it would run with any other color. I did throw in one of those color catcher sheets, as I always do when I felt.

I am loving my clogs, and as an excuse to make another pair, I'm taking my current pair to school to put under my desk for those rare occasions when I can just sit and wiggle my toes. The new ones will be for home. I think I need to make a really wild color combo this time.

ebrperk
10-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Well I finished my first clog this morning it is really cloudy and dreary here so not good for picture taking. I will post a picture when I can. I have to say that I love this pattern and they are so fun to make. I found as not to far yarn store yesterday and it was HEAVEN. They had some of the funkiest yarn and patterns. I am hoping to actually take a class someday. Hubby said why do you need to take a class you taught yourself to knit. LOL. I got the child pattern yesterday and am making a pair of pink ones for Elisabeth. The skeins that I bought might even have enough to make Emily a matching pair.

Robin

KellyK
10-23-2005, 11:44 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

koolbreeze
10-23-2005, 06:46 PM
anybody ever just make the clogs without the outer sole? i was thinking about doing that on these...what purpose does the outer sole serve?? :thinking:

koolbreeze
10-23-2005, 06:47 PM
forgot to mention they are way off!

margie
10-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Carmell, those clogs are so awesome!! You make cool ones. I made my bil's clogs without the 2nd sole- because I am going to add a suede sole to them. They are not felted yet. I think that the 2nd sole probably cushions the bottom more, and gives that "bumper" around the bottom. Someone (I don't remember who?) accidentally made theirs without the 2nd sole a while back.

Ingrid
10-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Those are some clogs! I don't think you'd even see a bumper on those. I think the second sole is really more for cushioning and wear-and-tear.

Lacedolphin
10-23-2005, 07:43 PM
I wanna make some toooo, but I'm not even close to being able to make them. Anyone selling any?? a size 9 maybe?? or can I be adopted by a knitter for chirtmas??? lol :rollseyes:

KellyK
10-23-2005, 08:16 PM
You can attach the 2nd sole with or without the bumper. I dont think the suede sole would fit very well without the 2nd sole. With the suede attachment, you would just join them without the extra rows for the bumper. You will at the very least be grateful for the extra cushion!!

margie
10-23-2005, 08:43 PM
duh- I did make the 2nd sole for my bil's clogs- just without the bumper. I'm so clogged up!!!! :roflhard:

koolbreeze
10-23-2005, 09:54 PM

will i decided not to put the second sole on. they run around all day without shoes on i doubt they notice a difference!

Lucy Fan
10-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Laziness prevailed...I just ordered my clog pattern online instead of going to the store. Now I can't wait for it to get here! :happydance:

koolbreeze
10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
her are my lopsided clogs. they don't look lopsided on so i guess thats all that matters. i don't know how i did that though! :doh:

Ingrid
10-24-2005, 01:23 PM
My youngest would have killed for those when she was little! You make the coolest clogs! :happydance:

jodstr2
10-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Carmell - those are adorable! :heart:

p.s. if they fit weird, you can felt them again and make them a bit tight, with wear they will loosen up.

margie
10-24-2005, 02:10 PM
super cool, Carmell!! How old is Carrigan? What size did you make? I just made a pair for my older son- we'll be felting them this afternoon, after he gets home from school. Now I need to start on my younger son's pair. I made the x-large size for my older son (age 8). I am thinking about making some clogs for a friend's kids- but I'm not sure what sizes to make. The kids are 3 yrs and 18 mos. Any suggestions?

koolbreeze
10-24-2005, 08:10 PM
thanks!
Carrigan will be 3 next month. i made the med and left a little room to grow. she wears a 9. i am currently making my oldest DD and she is 4 and i am making the xl. but as i'm knitting them i'm thinking i sould have done lg. she wears a 10.5. i felted Carrigan's 2 times and the bigger one 3 times

margie
10-24-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't know what happened in my other post- my older son is 8, not 8-) !!

I made the xl for him, and it felted up nicely- he wears a size 4 1/2, so the xl might be too big for your dd- or just need more felting, perhaps. I can't find my camera at the moment, but will post a pic when I can.
I am making the med. for my other son, age 6. I am almost finished with the first clog. Maybe by the time I finish his, I'll be able to find the camera!!

Julie
10-24-2005, 09:37 PM
I made the size small for my two-year old and they are perfect. :thumbsup:

yarnpiggy
10-25-2005, 12:15 PM
After reading so much about this pattern and how much everyone absolutely LOVED it, I broke down and bought it. I started my clogs last night and so far I think this pattern is fun and interesting.

A couple questions (I did look through about the first 20 pages of this thread, and don't think I found the answers...sorry if redundant.):

1. When you get to the short row shaping for the top of the foot, and the first stitch of each row is slipped, how do you slip it? I'm assuming that if the directions that follow are purl, than I slip to purl, and if knit then slip to knit. Is that correct?

2. I noticed some of you are using WOTA from Knitpicks for these. How much WOTA does the pattern take?

Thanks in advance ladies and gents! :D

MaryS
10-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi yarnpiggy,

Glad you've joined our Clog-A-Long!

On the clogs, you always slip as if to purl unless you're doing a SSK.

As far as yarn amounts for Women's sizes in WOTA you need 4 skeins of the sole/bumper color, and 2 skeins of the upper color. The yarn is used double throughout the pattern.

Men's medium (size 11 I think) takes 5 skeins of sole color and 3 skeins of upper.

I don't have my pattern with me, but I've made three pair so far, (2 women's med and 1 men's med) all in WOTA and they're great!

Happy Clog Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary

amy
10-25-2005, 04:30 PM
I may end up making some of these. THey're so cute! I made a pair of Knitty's felted slippers last year for my Mom, and a pair for myself, so we've already got some. But they'd be fun to make for other family members! They look so nice!!

Yarnpiggy, it says on the page where you purchase the pattern, how much yarn each size requires. WOTA is 110 yards per skein.

liznwillow
10-25-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm pretty certain someone has already asked this question, so forgive me if I'm sounding redundant... The last bit of instructions say to cast off loosely while doing the following sequence of stitches:
(K1, M1) 3 times, K20, (M1, K2), 3 times... etc, etc. How the heck do I cast off while I'm doing those stitches?? :??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/liznwillow/smilies/helpsign.gif

Ingrid
10-25-2005, 05:37 PM
When you are joining with a bumper, you do not cast off but instead to the k1, m1 row. Then you cast off on the next row with all knit stitches.

liznwillow
10-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Ok... I got that part... so do I do the whole next round and then cast off? It tells me to do it at the same time and that's what is confusing me.

Ingrid
10-25-2005, 05:47 PM
First you knit the two stitches together as for the cuff.

Then you do the k1 m1 row.

Then the next direction is to knit, casting off loosely at the same time.

So there are three steps here--attaching the sole, increase row, and bind of row (which is done in knit stitch).

liznwillow
10-25-2005, 05:56 PM
My instructions read this exactly, which threw me off: (after joining the two soles, which I did)
Next Round: Cast off loosely while working the following round:
(k1, m1) 3 times, k20, (m1, k2) 3 times, m1, k1, m1, (k2, m1) 3 times, k20, (m1, k1) 3 times.

Ingrid
10-25-2005, 06:09 PM
:?? We must have different editions of the pattern.

Mine has a Plain Join, which is just knitting the second sole on.

and To join with 'bumper' which says to attach them, but do not cast off, do the increase row, and then cast off.

Weird.

Julie
10-25-2005, 06:27 PM
I think the difference must be between the kids' and adult pattern. I've always bound off as I go on the K1 M1 round, per the instructions in the kids' pattern.

Just work the stitches as directed, and every time there are two stitches on the right needle, bind one off. Do this in a quiet place, where no one will interrupt you! ;)

***edited to add: that's it. I just looked at the adult pattern,a dn it does call for knitting the increase row then binding off. But on the kids' you bind off as you work that row.

Ingrid
10-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Mystery solved! I only have the adult pattern.

KellyK
10-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Well, what the HECK, Ingrid?!?! Arent you PSYCHIC, too????? :rofling:

Ingrid
10-25-2005, 06:55 PM
No, I'm still studying!

liznwillow
10-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Ohhh... mystery solved! That makes sense. Well, thank you BOTH for helping me.

Julie, that makes sense, what you said. I just could not imagine how I would do that!

liznwillow
10-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Well, I finished my first clog last night. I'm not too thrilled with it and it seems really sloppy, but I am hoping that all that gets disguised during felting. :lol: I sure hope the 2nd clog goes smoother because the F-factor on that one was through the roof! :roflhard:

Also... I am pretty sure I didn't do the seaming correctly on the soles. What method should I use? The illustrations for the back stitch make zero sense to me.

jodstr2
10-26-2005, 11:38 AM
no Liz... *I* win the awards hands-down for the sloppiest of sloppy clogs. I have one finished right now (pre-felted) and instead of getting neater as I knit more and more of these, I'm getting much worse.

yes, thankfully :pray: :cheering: felting is SOOOOO good for this. well, so far. at the rate I'm going, one of these days I'm gonna make a clog so sloppy even felting won't cover everything up.

margie
10-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Oh, but I think I get the award for dumbest mistake. I've made several pairs of clogs, and thought I had the pattern down. I'm making a pair of extra small kids ones- and when I did the cuff, I did the three needle bind off without binding off!!! I knew something didn't feel right......... :(
Then, while trying to fix it, I lost the whole thing- the stitches were pulled so tight on the needle since the clog is so small- they just popped out while I was trying to go backwards. I give up for now. The whole thing only took about an hour or so, so it's not like I lost tons of time, but STILL!! :wall:

margie
10-26-2005, 03:17 PM
I was able to save the baby clog!! Here are some pics. The purple clogs are my 8 yr olds. He picked the yarn. The purple is Lamb's Pride- 85% wool, 15% mohair- I love it. It was really nice to work with, and it's nice and fuzzy after felting.
The blue clogs are my 6 yr olds- he picked his own yarn too.

The baby clog is next to a child's xl-

liznwillow
10-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Oh, but I think I get the award for dumbest mistake. I've made several pairs of clogs, and thought I had the pattern down. I'm making a pair of extra small kids ones- and when I did the cuff, I did the three needle bind off without binding off!!! I knew something didn't feel right......... :(
Then, while trying to fix it, I lost the whole thing- the stitches were pulled so tight on the needle since the clog is so small- they just popped out while I was trying to go backwards. I give up for now. The whole thing only took about an hour or so, so it's not like I lost tons of time, but STILL!! :wall:

You know what??? I DID THAT TOOO!!! Except I didn't go back and fix mine. I have an extra row on the cuff! Oh well... felting is my friend. :roflhard:

BTW, your clogs are gorgeous! I love the baby ones!!!

InterNette
10-26-2005, 05:34 PM
nice clogs, someone is going to love them

koolbreeze
10-26-2005, 05:36 PM
i thought it was only me that got worst with each one!! :rollseyes:

ebrperk
10-26-2005, 07:24 PM
I finished my first pair of clogs. Sorry the picture isn't very good. I didn't get close enough.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/ebrperk/IM001410.jpg

I have to admit that I really like this pattern. My neighbor even wants a pair.

Robin

Ingrid
10-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Everyone's clogs look great! I wonder how many we've generated since the first one? :thinking:

KellyK
10-26-2005, 09:32 PM
They all look FANTASTIC!!! :cheering: We are CLOGGARIFIC!!

Who wants to go back & COUNT all those clogs? Everyone KNOWS how bad I am with numbers! :shifty:

Ingrid
10-26-2005, 09:33 PM
They all look FANTASTIC!!! :cheering: We are CLOGGARIFIC!!

Who wants to go back & COUNT all those clogs? Everyone KNOWS how bad I am with numbers! :shifty:

This from someone who created a spread sheet to keep track?! :rofling:

KellyK
10-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Yes! It keeps track of the numbers FOR me! :mrgreen:

margie
10-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Yikes!! Can i just say that the extra small child's clogs are a PAIN??!! I just spent as much time attaching the 2nd sole as I did making the whole rest of the clog!! You would think it would all be easier- NOT!! ;)

Julie
10-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Margie, if you have to make them again, I highly recommend knitting them flat instead of in the round. The stitching is sooo minimal at the end (like five stitches at the heel to join them) and it is really nice not to have to tug constantly. The size small barely fit on my 16" needles so I knew there was noooo way I wanted to do X-small in the round!

margie
10-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks, Julie! I will try it. I only made one extra small so far- so I'll try making the other one on the straight needles. :cheering:

Danielle
10-26-2005, 10:56 PM
I think I forgot to slip a stitch while I was doing the extra rows for the men's medium. (I guess thats what happens when you are sleepy :rollseyes: ) Somehow, I got the stitches to even out somewhere between row 15 & 20. Is it going to make a huge difference by not having that one slipped stitch on the side?? I really don't want to :frog: it. I should have known not to start knitting on the clogs tonight. :doh:

Ingrid
10-26-2005, 11:18 PM
I don't think it will make any difference at all!! Look at the size of them and imagine how much they're going to shrink. If one stitch made a difference, I think we'd all be in trouble!!

humblestumble
10-26-2005, 11:21 PM
:cheering: I finally got my pattern today! And a yummy recipe they sneaked in :blush: I can't wait til I can finally buy the stuff for these :happydance:

Danielle
10-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks, Ingrid! ;)

yarnpiggy
10-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Well, I'm almost done with my second clog and I've gotta say that I loooooooove this pattern! It's just enough of a challenge to keep me interested, and I've gotten to try some great new things (like three needle bind off)!

My mom is going to :inlove: her clogs! I can't wait for Christmas to get here!

I'll post before pictures soon, but after pictures won't come until after Christmas since the gift is twofold. One, my mom gets some nifty new clogs, and two we get to spend some mother/daughter bonding time when she comes out to my place a few days after Christmas so we can felt her clogs to fit her feet!

Thanks for the help the other day everyone!

KellyK
10-27-2005, 12:27 PM
That is EXACTLY the way I felt about my first pair! You'll have LOTS of fun felting them, too!

mshelton
10-27-2005, 03:56 PM
I felted my 7th pair. On this pair, I wanted size 12 and 1/2 and triple A in width. So I made adjustments and they worked out well. I will tell you the changes I made in case anyone else wants to make a narrower width for a men's large. Following the men's large size, the following were changes made in the first 4 rows of the soles.
I casted on 73 instead of 67 and used the cast on stitches as row 1. (If I had wanted AA instead of AAA in width, I would have casted on 73 stitches and then knitted row one as instructed.) Row 2--changed K29 to knit 32 and k31 to k34 ending with 81 stitches instead of 75.
I removed the short row in men's row 4, which is the main change used to narrow the sole. Here's the changes: Row 4:[k1 m1] 2 times, k32, [m1, k3] 2 times, m1, k1, m1, [k3, m1] 2 times, k32, [m1,k1] 2 times (91 stitches). Then procede as instructed in pattern.

I think I'm almost thru making my clogs but everytime I give a pair away, everyone around starts making requests . I may have to start giving them to folks in private. ;)

InterNette
10-27-2005, 05:39 PM
i love those. very cool colors. I like they appear more narrow and fitted.

KellyK
10-27-2005, 07:38 PM
:shock: WHOA, MShelton....that's ALOTTA MATH!! :oo:

margie
10-27-2005, 10:04 PM
those are cool looking clogs!! What kind of yarn did you use? They look very soft!! :thumbsup: Kudos to you for figuring out how to make them more narrow- I'd probably have done them by the pattern and then told the recipient to stuff some paper towels in the sides!! ;)

margie
10-27-2005, 10:13 PM
I finished the baby clogs today. I will post a picture of the baby wearing them after they dry!! Here they are next to my clogs:

Ingrid
10-27-2005, 10:31 PM
I'd probably have done them by the pattern and then told the recipient to stuff some paper towels in the sides!! ;)

:roflhard: Sounds like something I'd say!!

The baby ones are adorable!!

KellyK
10-27-2005, 10:35 PM
OMG those are CUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!! :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-27-2005, 11:08 PM
wow those are FURRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

humblestumble
10-28-2005, 02:53 AM
wow those are FURRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my exact thought :)

And I love the baby ones!

jelly
10-28-2005, 03:07 AM
i got my pattern today and *some* of the yarn - i ordered all of it from an online store - i ordered black for the soles and trim and a light pink for the tops - the pink i got was neon pink and a totally different style number - i emailed them tonite and asked how they will rectify this - i am waiting for their answer - once i hear from them, i will tell y'all the name of the store

luckily, i have about eleventy million other projects on needles to keep me occupied in the meantime

KellyK
10-28-2005, 07:32 AM
FRUSTRATING!!! :mad: Where did you order from?

Lucy Fan
10-28-2005, 09:08 AM
I got my pattern in the mail this week! I can't wait to start. I did have a question before I started though. I'm thinking about making a pair for my hubby. But he wears a size 9 1/2 or 10. The smallest size it gives me directions for is an 11. I don't have enough experience in knitting to figure out how to change the pattern for it. If I knit the Men's medium size will it shrink up enough to fit his feet?

mshelton
10-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Margie, I used WOTA and they did come out furry. It seems that the longer you felt, the furrier (and smaller) it gets. By the way, if anyone makes a men's large, I would recommend going to a circular 29" for the second sole. It is much easier to add the sole and the bumper using the longer circulars. Actually, the math was not difficult. I just figured that 16 stitches were being added in the men's row 4 and only 10 stitches in the women's row 4 so I made changes to the rows 1 and 2 to accommodate. Lucy Lu, I made several pairs for men's size 9 and 10 and I used men's medium. The instructions say "up to" size 11 if I recall. You just felt them longer in the washing machine and they will get to be the right size and furrier.

Annasmommy
10-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Kelly K wrote
"That is EXACTLY the way I felt about my first pair! You'll have LOTS of fun felting them, too! "

That's so funny,...felt... feelings, O-Oh feelings,(melody in background)I'm ...felting... mine this weekend.

margie
10-28-2005, 11:11 AM
They weren't completely dry yet, but I couldn't resist- here's a picture of the clog model..........

MaryS
10-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Margie,

He's gorgeous!!!!! And the clogs are cute too :thumbsup:

Mary

KellyK
10-28-2005, 11:52 AM
CUUUUUUUUUTE! :roflhard:

jodstr2
10-28-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm sknitting a clog here at work today :twisted: :XX:

Lucy Fan
10-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Lucy Lu, I made several pairs for men's size 9 and 10 and I used men's medium. The instructions say "up to" size 11 if I recall. You just felt them longer in the washing machine and they will get to be the right size and furrier.

Oh thanks! I must have missed the part where it said "up to". That's a relief though. I really didn't want to have to make any changes to the pattern. I'm afraid it would have bad consequences. :blush:

ebrperk
10-28-2005, 11:30 PM
I made the womens large for my husband who wears a 8.5 in mens I still had to felt them for like an hour before they got to the size that he liked.

Robin

Ingrid
10-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Margie! :heart: So cute!

DotMom61
10-30-2005, 01:21 AM
OK ... today after much deliberation and a little whining (or was it the other way around? :?? ) I bought *both* patterns for the FT Clogs!!

And after much whining about not being able to knit the things I really want to be knitting because of these three boring projects I'm already working on, I pulled out some spare wool I had lying around and started a med-sized child's clog. (I'm knitting along! :cheering:)

All I have to say is:

COOL!!!

I have the upper done on the first one, and now all I have to do is knit the 2nd sole & attach it. I couldn't believe how quickly it went, and I *love* how they do the cuff! It's *almost* as cool as knitted-on i-cord. I really think that whoever designed this pattern must be a knitting genius. Who thinks like this???

So, has anyone tried making these w/ Noro Kureyon??

Ingrid
10-30-2005, 09:23 AM
I'm with you. I'm always impressed at the engineering it takes to not only create something like this, but to actually be able to write it down and pass it on.

Julie
10-30-2005, 09:38 AM
:cheering: Julie!! Are we allowed to say "I told you so!"?

Welcome to the clog club! :mrgreen:

DotMom61
10-30-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm with you. I'm always impressed at the engineering it takes to not only create something like this, but to actually be able to write it down and pass it on.

Exactly. I know I've only been knitting for a short time, but I was just so suprised at how they created the cuff! And to knit the sole & then basicallyl fold it in half sideways to create the base. And, of course, then there's all those gyrations you go through to make the toe.

I'm sure I'll run across these techniques elsewhere as I go along, but I was just truly amazed at how this clog was magically forming!!

Julie!! Are we allowed to say "I told you so!"?

Welcome to the clog club!

You were absolutely right! I'm hooked now! I wish I had time to sit down and finish the 1st one & do the 2nd one now. ARgh!!!

How are you feeling? Any better?

KellyK
10-30-2005, 12:49 PM
I KNEW you'd love this GENIOUS pattern! Its like MAGIC!! Its HYP-MO-TYZING!

DotMom61
10-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Yeah, and I need to get kid costumes ready, clean my house, do laundry & pack for the hospital, and all I want to do is FINISH THE CLOGS!!!! http://static.flickr.com/31/55686073_2f295559cd_o.gif

margie
10-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Julie, I'm so there with you!! I have one clog almost finished- I just need to attach the 2nd sole. I have laundry to catch up on, dinner to cook, and general STUFF to do- and I don't wanna!!!

margie
10-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Here is another pair of clogs that I finished- these were finished yesterday and felted today. They are a children's size small- for my husband's college friend's kid. There are 3 kids- I have one of the older kid's clogs done, these are for the middle one, and I still have to do the ones for the baby.

KellyK
10-30-2005, 10:23 PM
SO SO SOOOOO pretty!!! What yarn did you use???

margie
10-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Kelly, the cuffs and the soles were lamb's pride 80%wool, 20% mohair- the leftovers from when I made my older son's clogs. The upper is, umm, I don't know? I had this yarn in my knitting bag, in a ball- I can't remember where or when I got it- but it looked like wool, felt like wool, so I gave it a shot. I saw something like it at the LYS yesterday, and that was Plymouth Outback.

Ingrid
10-30-2005, 10:43 PM
I'm really loving these little clogs. I don't think the boys would wear them, though. Have to think of some other kid with cold feet. :thinking:

margie
10-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Ingrid, I made clogs for my two boys- and I don't think they will wear them very much. My little one would probably wear them if he remembered to put them on, and the older one wanted them, but now that he has them, I don't think he likes them- although he wanted to wear mine all the time before. :rollseyes:

Hence, all the little cloggies for all the other kids I know!!

KellyK
10-31-2005, 12:39 AM
I finished DH's Grandma's clogs tonight & they look just like MILs clogs, so Ill just re-post that pic....

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/ft_clogs_for_mil.jpg

Ingrid
10-31-2005, 08:46 AM
You know you've made too many clogs when you already have pictures of every color combo! :rofling:

KellyK
10-31-2005, 09:31 AM
I KNOW!!! :roflhard: I am SO tired of these Mist soles and SO jealous of everyone else's FUN HAPPY clogs (I dont know WHY I wasnt more brave in the first place! :doh: ) that I had to do my nephew's blue bonnet/grass clogs next, even though they weren't next on my list (OOOH Im a REBEL! :rollseyes: )

After Christmas, Im making myself some additional FUNCLOGS, darnit! :mad:

And, for every birthday hereafter, I pledge to make HAPPY, INTERESTING, FUN clogs! *right hand raised, left hand on The Knitter's Bible*

DotMom61
10-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Well, I finished my first clog last night. I can't wait until I can find the time to sit down and start the other one!! DD saw the first one & thinks she has claimed them for herself. ;-) We'll see. I think she might like to pick out different colors, and then I can donate these to the hospital.

I'm still wondering if anyone has considered doing these in one of the Noro Kureyon colorways. I wonder how that would turn out????

Kelly -- I dare you to take two of the colors that you have waiting to be clogged & MIX them!! Woo hoo!! Livin' large, baby!

Danielle
10-31-2005, 11:38 AM
I did a pair in Noro Kureyon...I only used one strand instead of two. I didn't have enough yarn to use 2. They turned out pretty good, but are much thinner than the ones I made with the wota...It took several trips through the wash to get the right size...I think if you used 2 strands of Kureyon, they should turn out fine. Here is a pic of mine (they were my first pair. I finally figured out why my cuffs looked so funny...I didn't knit the 6 rows for the cuff! I guess that's what I get for speed reading the pattern! :doh:)

jodstr2
10-31-2005, 12:01 PM
2 pairs down, 3 more to go.
KK, idk how you do it. you and your 39478567823650 pairs!
aiiiii.
at least my next 3 are smaller sizes and should go faster than the ones I just made...

DotMom61
10-31-2005, 12:11 PM
Danielle -

Those are really pretty!! I made a bag in that colorway. I was wondering how the striping would work out w/ all of the short rows, etc. It's really cool! I think I'll look into making some with Noro, *and* I'm thinking I may have found a good reason to buy some Karaoke (http://www.soysilk.com/), too! :figureditout:

margie
10-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Danielle, those are so pretty!! :D

margie
10-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Okay, here's the next pair of little clogs- I'm almost clogged out at this point- I don't know how you are doing all the ones you are doing, Kelly!! I still have one more pair of xs children's to do, and then I have 3 more adult pairs to do for Christmas. These are a child's small. I used plymouth galway in the same color for the whole thing, and added some fun fur in the cuff.

Julie
10-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Those are adorable, Margie! :inlove:

Angelia
10-31-2005, 06:04 PM
Oh wow, Margie! I love them!

Really, I love every pair I've seen. You're all so...good!

InterNette
10-31-2005, 06:24 PM
awwww they are adorable. :heart: :heart: :heart: you could put them on a string and dangle them by your rear view mirror

Ingrid
10-31-2005, 06:26 PM
:heart: :heart: Fit for a princess!

liznwillow
10-31-2005, 06:35 PM
My first pair of clogs are DONE!!! here they are... size Med. children's. Willow, my dd, is dying to put them on, but they're still drying! I made many, many mistakes, but thank GOD for felting!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/liznwillow/Misc%20Pictures/knittedclogs.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/liznwillow/Misc%20Pictures/knittedclogs2.jpg

Ingrid
10-31-2005, 06:42 PM
The look great!!! Good job! :thumbsup:

KellyK
10-31-2005, 08:43 PM
FEEEEELIN the CLOG LUVVVVV!!!! :heart:

margie
10-31-2005, 08:50 PM
Liz, your clogs look GREAT!!! I love felting, since all those little mistakes just ****magically*** go away!! Please, post a pic of Willow wearing them after they dry!! :D

Angelia
10-31-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm feelin' the clog lovin' too! So much so that I want a pair of my own. (This covetousness is just not becoming :D )

How difficult are they to make? Can an almost-intermediate-beginner make them?

Ingrid
10-31-2005, 09:35 PM
As long as you can read a pattern, I think you can make them. There is short-row shaping, picking up of loops, three needle bind-off--and about a million people with experience in them here to help! It requires concentration to keep track of where you are, but generally it goes pretty quickly.

Give it a shot--what've you got to lose?

Angelia
10-31-2005, 11:55 PM
:happydance:

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Ingrid. Okay, I'll give the clogs a go!

I've never worked from a pattern...but I have to start sometime.

Any suggestions on wools/brands to use? (Or any to steer clear of?)

Thanks in advance. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Ingrid
10-31-2005, 11:58 PM
For felting it has to be wool. I used Cascade 220 that I had gotten on sale a while back. Lots of people use Wool of the Andes from Knit Picks--very reasonably priced, good for felting.

liznwillow
11-01-2005, 12:09 AM
I used Wool of the Andes because: A) the price is awesome! and B) the color choices are great too!

KellyK
11-01-2005, 12:56 AM
You should browse through this thread from the beginning, Angelia...LOTS of advice to get you ready for the pattern, and you can see all the color combos and different yarns we've all used. This is now the ULTIMATE FT Clog Resource! :happydance:

Angelia
11-01-2005, 07:50 AM
I have browsed the thread KK; I'm suffering information overload ;) Plus, I get distracted by the photos of lovely finished projects!

I did notice a lot of you using Cascade. I checked it out on The Knitting Zone and have fallen in love with the possible combination of Lichen and Swallow, though I'm not sure what Swallow *actually* looks like...perhaps, for simplicity's sake, I'll just use one color on my first pair.

And superwash is out, right, b/c it doesn't felt properly?

I'll check out Knit Picks' Wool of the Andes, too. Since this is my first official project, finding goodies on sale would be nice in case I botch it! :D

KellyK
11-01-2005, 08:08 AM
I have browsed the thread KK; I'm suffering information overload

Superwash wool doesnt felt AT ALL.

Jazzmatazz
11-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Angelia, if price is an object (and it always is) really you should look at the Knitpicks website. Unless someone gives you wool or you find a deal on EBay, it will be hard to beat the Wool of the Andes.

Angelia
11-01-2005, 08:35 AM
I'll avoid the superwash; the last thing I need is to spend precious hours and brainpower making the clogs, only to end up with clogs that only a deformed giant could wear.

I visited Knit Picks...oh my. So many delicious colors! I thought I wanted green--I love green!--but then I saw pumpkin and hollyberry...

I now have an irrational impulse to buy the Wool of the Andes Sampler.

:shock:

Angelia
11-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Angelia, if price is an object (and it always is) really you should look at the Knitpicks website. Unless someone gives you wool or you find a deal on EBay, it will be hard to beat the Wool of the Andes.

Thanks! Yes, it is an object, and wow, Wool of the Andes *is* really a great buy, particularly compared to the Cascade I was considering. I'll also visit my LYS; maybe they have a sale on.

margie
11-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Last pair of little clogs done!! (I think!) Here are the ones I finished today. Child's size xsmall.

Ingrid
11-01-2005, 06:46 PM
:inlove: That's it! I've got to make some of these and just have them hanging around the house! They are so, so, cute!!