PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Trends Clogs - The ULTIMATE RESOURCE

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Angelia
11-01-2005, 06:56 PM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Oh, Margie, those are just gorgeous!

And the wee ones--I'm with you, Ingrid, I want to make some, too, just to have them around! Simply adorable.

Fantastic work!

:thumbsup:

KellyK
11-01-2005, 08:54 PM
A friend of mine was ATTEMPTING to put in an order for FIVE pairs to keep at their front door for visitors! :roflhard: I said I will make YOU some for your birthday and TEACH you to knit!

Angelia
11-01-2005, 09:00 PM
HA!

:rofling:

Ingrid
11-01-2005, 09:02 PM
A friend of mine was ATTEMPTING to put in an order for FIVE pairs to keep at their front door for visitors! :roflhard: I said I will make YOU some for your birthday and TEACH you to knit!

Tell her you'd be happy to do it--$150 per pair. ;)

jodstr2
11-01-2005, 09:08 PM
:inlove: those teeny tiny ones would look so cute as ornaments on a Christmas tree!!! :inlove:

InterNette
11-01-2005, 10:03 PM
oo the teeny ones just make you light up and smile.

liznwillow
11-01-2005, 10:34 PM
ohhhhhh.... I love the little baby ones! I have to make a pair of xs ones for one of my daycare kids for Christmas! I can't WAIT!

KellyK
11-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Well, my 7yo nephew's clogs are quite as CUTE as the bitty ones, but at last I got to work with some FUNNN colors! Child's large, WOTA Blue Bonnet and Grass...

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/ft_clog_for_mikie.jpg

humblestumble
11-03-2005, 12:35 AM
lol, Kelly those look almost like the colors of my room but deeper! How odd! Lovely clogs tho btw :) :happydance:

jodstr2
11-03-2005, 10:07 AM
KK I tell you your uppers look so good :inlove: :thumbsup:!!!

I'm too embrarassed to post pics of my pre-felted ones because of all the craziness on the uppers.

liznwillow
11-03-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm with you Jodstr! :lol: Although, mine are starting to look something like that.

Danielle
11-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Margie- The little clogs are so cute!!! wtg! :cheering:
KellyK- Love the blue & green clogs! Fun colors! :thumbsup:

KellyK
11-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks everbody!! :mrgreen:

Jod...how many pairs have you made? Im on my 10th pair...they tend to start evening out EVENTUALLY. :rofling:

Angelia
11-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Im on my 10th pair

:shock:

I cannot even muster the courage to order the pattern. You clog people amaze me!

:notworthy:

Sorry... "clog people" doesn't sound very nice, but I mean it most affectionately!

KellyK
11-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Thats okay...we know we're an underground subculture! :thumbsup:

ORDER THA PATTERN, Angelia! Its only counting the loops you pull through other loops! And, with all this support, how can ya go wrong??

Angelia
11-03-2005, 02:20 PM
You're all so wonderful and supportive, and I know you'll help.

But still: :oo:

Here's why: I've never followed a pattern; isn't that going to be a problem? And I really only know how to make squares and rectangles, and even they sag a bit...

Shouldn't I try making a sock or something first? :D

Am I really ready to become one of the clog people?!

KellyK
11-03-2005, 02:27 PM
JOOOIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNN USSSSSSSSSSSS!!! *KK wiggles voodoo fingers atcha*

:roflhard:

As far as reading a pattern goes, you see the "Abbreviations Explained" tab above? Everything you need to know is there, including links to the videos for any increases or decreases you've never tried before. I personally think these are MUCH easier than socks, which are done on those tiny, wrestling octopusses called DPNs!! ;)

Angelia
11-03-2005, 02:51 PM
JOOOIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNN USSSSSSSSSSSS!!! *KK wiggles voodoo fingers atcha*

:shock:

Ack! Voodoo fingers!

Yes clog master...I will obey...have ordered pattern...

KellyK
11-03-2005, 03:27 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: GLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

mshelton
11-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Wow!!!! 10 pairs, I'm amazed!!! They are easy to do (especially once you get they first one done). I learned to really "look" at the knitting as I knitted so if I made a mistake I could figure out what the problem is/was. I'm working on another shawl and then will try to knit several more pairs of clogs for Christmas presents.

margie
11-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Yes, the foirst one can be a bugger, but after that they really do go much easier.

I felted my BIL's "monster clogs" tonight- size 13- I am going to put the suede bottoms on them- has anyone else used these?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-03-2005, 08:24 PM
ooooo clog people! I'm going to use that one!

As I said in KK's blog, I am halfway through the new second pair; these are for my mom, in mulles wine and hollyberry. My brother thought clogs weren't really his thing, so I undid his and he can KMA (i think I'll do a hat and mittens instead.)

I have been diligently working on my first pair, and the embellishments should be done this weekend! Pics soon, I promise!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-04-2005, 12:19 AM
see, I changed my sig :-)

humblestumble
11-04-2005, 12:29 AM
you changed ur sig and your avi! Love them both! :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-04-2005, 12:30 AM
yeah i like this pic better. My hair looks shinier, and, uh, not fuzzy.

KellyK
11-04-2005, 12:32 AM
see, I changed my sig :-)

What, exactly, are we supposed to unTIE?? :roflhard:

Vendie
11-04-2005, 07:25 AM
I was thinking the same thing KK :thinking:

Hildie love your new avi!! You're such a cutie (as I can say with authority now that I've actually met you)

I finished clog # 1 of my DH's pair!!! I will probably have to wait until tomorrow to post a picture as it's dark when I wake up and dark when I get home :crying:

Part of me wants to go ahead and finish the second one, but part of me wants to switch and start my moms - her's are going to be so pretty - hyacinth for the soles and cuff and hush for the uppers.

KellyK
11-04-2005, 08:10 AM
Part of me wants to go ahead and finish the second one, but part of me wants to switch and start my moms - her's are going to be so pretty - hyacinth for the soles and cuff and hush for the uppers.

I did that once....waited too long between finishing the mate in one pair. I think one's tension varies with their mood & other mysteries of the universe....you are more likely to end up with size differences if you wait too long between paired cloggies, I think.....

Angelia
11-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Morning KK (and other knitsters)!

Guess what? I ordered the WOTA yesterday for my clogs: cherry blossom! I also ordered some WOTA for a booga and got pumpkin and maple syrup for that. Luscious luscious colors...Can't wait til it all arrives. I love the smell of wool...

So, the FT clog process will start very soon, then I can be come unTIEd with all of the other clog people ( ;) Hildie! )

Anyway, thanks KK for the wagging voodoo fingers--they worked! You should use them on other newbies destined for greater things than squares and their cousins, the rectangles!

:cheering:

KellyK
11-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Im SO glad my voodoo fingers worked for ya! *sighs* Its both a gift and a curse, but one I must share with the world! ;)

Cherry blossom is NICEY NICE! REALLY saturated color. And, I cant WAIT to see your pumpkin/maple booga! AWESOME!!!

Angelia
11-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Cherry blossom is NICEY NICE! REALLY saturated color. And, I cant WAIT to see your pumpkin/maple booga! AWESOME!!!

:happydance:

So how long, on average, does it take KP orders to arrive? I need to know how to plan my life for the next few weeks :D

KellyK
11-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Youll get it sometime early next week, I would guess.....

Virtuella
11-04-2005, 09:55 AM
:cheering: I got the pattern today in my mailbox!!! :cheering:

Jeep_Girl
11-04-2005, 10:05 AM
I went up to get the pattern -- and want to go to KnitPicks to buy the WOTA. Do you knit the clogs to the size of the shoe you regularly wear? Meaning if I'm a size 7 - do I buy enough yarn for the Size 8 shoe or halfway between the 6 and 8? I should just buy more cause I'm sure I'm going to need it..... :rollseyes:

Angelia
11-04-2005, 10:21 AM
:cheering:

Yay!

KellyK
11-04-2005, 10:30 AM
I would buy for the size 8....you can always felt it more and more, but its hard to make them bigger once they are small. Felting stretches, but only so much.

Also, Im gonna move this post to the KAL thread, so others there can benefit from your question, too! :thumbsup:

Angelia
11-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Related to Lisa's question:

I wear a 9.5, so I bought for the 10: 650 yards.

But I only bought 6 balls of the WOTA, which will give me 660 yards...Is that cutting it too close? Should I order more ASAP and hope I get the same dye lot?

I was okay with the 10 yard difference yesterday, but today it's making me nervous. :thinking:

KellyK
11-04-2005, 12:52 PM
You'll be fine.

Angelia
11-04-2005, 01:14 PM
You'll be fine.

Good! And phooey...I was hoping that you'd give me an excuse to buy more yarn :D

jodstr2
11-04-2005, 01:17 PM
I just made a women's 10 pair using 6 skeins of WOTA.
I had some left over.
as KK says, you'll be fine :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-04-2005, 01:31 PM
What, exactly, are we supposed to unTIE?? :roflhard:

unTIE because there are no ties... like on regular shoes with laces...

My rapier wit is lost on everyone but myself, I see..... :rollseyes:

lisak
11-04-2005, 10:18 PM
I am about to start my first pair of clogs! :cheering:

I just have a quick question (and my apologies if it's already here somewhere - I swear I've read all I can!).

To begin it says hold two strands together for the sole. When you begin the upper do you also hold two strands together?

It doesn't say so, but I didn't know if it was just implied? :?? Just want to make sure I'm starting out right!

Ingrid
11-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Yes, you use two strands throughout the whole pattern.

lisak
11-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks Ingrid! I guess if I had read the front page of the pattern all the way through first I would have known! :doh:

Jazzmatazz
11-05-2005, 09:20 AM
You know what's so great? I actually LOVE wearing the darn things. I had a lot of fun making them, but didn't think I'd really wear them! Wool can be comfy even in hot, humid Louisiana!

Angelia
11-05-2005, 09:34 AM
You know what's so great? I actually LOVE wearing the darn things. I had a lot of fun making them, but didn't think I'd really wear them! Wool can be comfy even in hot, humid Louisiana!

Oh, that's so good to know :)

When my WOTA arrives this week and I begin my clogs, temps here N Alabama will be in the 80s--it's November for crying out loud!

Wearing wool in the deep South is just intolerable except for those two days in January when temps are actually cold...But my feet stay cold year-round, so I'm hoping the clogs will keep them baby-bear "just right" :)

Angelia
11-05-2005, 05:56 PM
My pattern came today!! I'm awaiting the yarn now. :cheering:

But...I have a horribly embarrassing story to tell regarding the pattern:

So, the pattern is from The Knitting Zone, right? Did I know before ordering that said Knitting Zone is just under 30 minutes from my house? NO!!

Imagine my surprise.

I knew Lacey's Spring, AL had a yarn shop, but I'd forgotten what it was called. Now I know.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I just want to die.

Virtuella
11-05-2005, 05:57 PM
My pattern came today!! I'm awaiting the yarn now. :cheering:

But...I have a horribly embarrassing story to tell regarding the pattern:

So, the pattern is from The Knitting Zone, right? Did I know before ordering that said Knitting Zone is just under 30 minutes from my house? NO!!

Imagine my surprise.

I knew Lacey's Spring, AL had a yarn shop, but I'd forgotten what it was called. Now I know.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I just want to die.

Andrea
11-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Just ordered my first order from Knitpicks today to start clogs for my DH and I! I'm so excited!!! :XX:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-05-2005, 08:31 PM
my clogs are done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually finished the clog part in June... I took a class at a LYS on embellishing your felted knits. So, I *finally* finished the embellishing! These were my practice pair... i'm giving them to my SIL for Christmas (I can't stand her), and I figured if I was going to screw up someone's present it might as well be hers!

I did needle felting for the butterfly... that was a lot of fun, and easy to do while watching TV! It took a LONG time though, because you really have to stab that wool roving in there so it sticks.

I used clear cheapo seed beads and colorful "cats eye" beads for the rest. of the butterfly. I like how they look like they are glowing.

Can I just say :cheering: yay me!!!!!! :cheering: These took forever, but I think it was totally worth it. I can't wait to do the next ones... it's like I can't knit the clogs fast enough, so I can get to the embellishing!!! I'm going to take a bit more time with the next pair though; they're for my mom :heart: I guess i'll try not to spend 4 months on these :lol:

Ingrid
11-05-2005, 09:11 PM
:inlove: :inlove: Oh Hildie! They're beautiful!!! :inlove: :inlove: What a lot of work! :cheering: The best clogs, yet!!

KellyK
11-05-2005, 09:23 PM
:drool: ABSOLUTELY CLOGGASMIC!! :drool:

Vendie
11-05-2005, 09:46 PM
It's so nice to see the finished product! They look beautiful Hildie - too bad they're being wasted on your SIL (you COULD always send them to me, I would APPRECIATE them and all your hard work!). Can't wait to see what you come up with for your mom's pair.

Mer
11-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Those are gorgeous, Hildie!

margie
11-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Beautiful, Hilde!! When you said embellished clogs, I was picturing something much more simple than that- wow!! They are just gorgeous. :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-05-2005, 11:11 PM
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Angelia
11-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Those are just lovely! I love the colors! :thumbsup:

And that Stanley, what a wonderful helper!

humblestumble
11-06-2005, 02:17 AM
:shock: SO PURDY!

jodstr2
11-06-2005, 01:57 PM
:shock: woooooow Hildie!!!
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
omg, those are gorgeous!!! don't give them to SIL - give them to someone who'll appreciate them!!!!!!!!! :heart:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-06-2005, 07:21 PM
beldie told me last night that I should give them to someone here and not waste them on my SIL. I think SHE wanted them :rollseyes:

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Don't forget Hildie--if you're going to hand out clogs, make sure you have enough for everyone!! :fingerwag:

hedgehog
11-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Don't forget Hildie--if you're going to hand out clogs, make sure you have enough for everyone!! :fingerwag:

Erm - i'll take a black pair with a gothy skull or my avatar on it, thanks!! :thumbsup:

-hh

Angelia
11-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Hildie, it's so sweet of you to make clogs for all of us :happydance: I'd like Felix the cat on mine, if it's not too much trouble....

Ooh, if you make clogs for all of us, you'll pass KK, Hildie! (What are you on now, KK, your 400th pair? :P )

That DNA scarf on your needles is pretty cool, Hedgehog! :thumbsup:

liznwillow
11-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Those are just stunning, Hilde!!! You did such an amazing job.

I have a general question for everyone though: Can I run a ribbon through the yarn before felting for embellishment around the cuff??

DotMom61
11-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Hilde --

I *love* the clogs ... they turned out so nice! I hope the dreaded SIL can appreciate them.

Oh, and btw, your signature humor was not wasted on me. I got it. I thought it was very cute ... sorry I wasn't around to "get it" sooner. ;-)

Now, I have a question. This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. The clog pattern says to use a 16" circular. I have a Needlemaster set. Each of the needles are 4" long, and I have a 12" cable. So, that makes 20". Should I really be using an 8" cable? I don't think they make that for the Needlemasters/Knitmates stuff.

I did my first pair of clogs on the 20" set of needles, but it got a little tight at times. Kinda frustrating.

And, I mentioned in the November Challenge thread that I bought some Karaoke yarn today to make DD a pair of clogs for Christmas. It's this color (http://www.soysilk.com/karaoke_pics/Mermaid-Mix4x4.jpg). I can't wait to get started!

Julie
11-07-2005, 02:02 AM
Julie, it depends on the size, but for the kids' clogs I wouldn't go smaller than a 16" (personally). You can just knit them flat though...the seaming is only like 4 stitches at the end, and it's much more pleasant than tugging all of those stitches around a slightly-too-big circ, IMHO. That's how I did the bitty one! :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-07-2005, 01:17 PM
I agree with Julie! The flat instructions aren't that different.

Liz, I don't know about the ribbon... that is a cool idea! You might end up with the ribbon too long after felting.... hmm.... I'd do a swatch.

KK DON'T READ THIS PART
*actually, my real suggestion is to knit in an eyelet row right before the cuff, thread through some thick cotton so the holes don't close during felting, then put the ribbon in afterwards. But I don't want to say it in front of KK, she doesn't like it when I suggest changes! She's a little "retentive" IYKWIM. ... but then again, she's the person I complain to when my changes make things harder, so I guess I dont' blame her.

OKAY,, KK, YOU CAN START READING AGAIN

Julie, are you going to make mini clog christams ornaments???? that would be key-yooooot!

I think I'm going to give the clogs to my friend Carlie... she's a 7.5 EEEE and I think they will fit perfectly. SIL can have a scratchy ugly scarf!

DotMom61
11-07-2005, 01:49 PM

Liz, I don't know about the ribbon... that is a cool idea! You might end up with the ribbon too long after felting.... hmm.... I'd do a swatch.

KK DON'T READ THIS PART
*actually, my real suggestion is to knit in an eyelet row right before the cuff, thread through some thick cotton so the holes don't close during felting, then put the ribbon in afterwards. But I don't want to say it in front of KK, she doesn't like it when I suggest changes! She's a little "retentive" IYKWIM. ... but then again, she's the person I complain to when my changes make things harder, so I guess I dont' blame her.

Pssst ... Hildie .... I think you're eyelet idea sounds really cool! I'll be interested to see if anyone tries it.

I think you could also use a heavy tapestry needle to add ribbon after felting, don't ya' think? I would be afraid that the felting process would simply destroy the ribbon, but it might be fun to knit a swatch like Hildie suggested & see what happens.

AND ... I'll give the flat instructions a try, perhaps. I was shopping on eBay for 16" circs, and I found a pair for less than $10 + $1.50 shipping. That's a pretty good deal considering my LYS sells them for $15. I guess I need to decide if I want to wait for them or not.

Does knitting them flat eliminate the problem of the sloppy joining? I haven't read through this whole thread to see what others have done to prevent that, but my joins were really bad. I ended up stitching them up anyway.

Oh! I almost forgot! Pictures:
http://static.flickr.com/25/60919302_87d19f2556.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/24/60919303_ccae0d1ab5.jpg

See this post (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=63656#63656) for my description of the anomalies of this first pair.

margie
11-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Dotmom, the clogs look great!! They almost look like terrycloth in the picture. Love that color! I didn't bind off one cuff on one of my pairs either.
:thumbsup:

KellyK
11-07-2005, 09:26 PM
WOW, Jul! THose are PREEETY!! What did you use???

*KK whistles, looks around & rocks on her heels innocently, having no idea what else is going on in this thread......*

DotMom61
11-07-2005, 09:53 PM
WOW, Jul! THose are PREEETY!! What did you use???

*KK whistles, looks around & rocks on her heels innocently, having no idea what else is going on in this thread......*

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/265.gif
Kelly? KELLY!!

Geez ... pay attention, will ya'?

Anyway, I used Paton's Merino in Paprika. (Can you say that 3 times fast?)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-07-2005, 10:01 PM
no no no we don't WANT her to pay attention, remember????????? She'll yell at me! :help:

DotMom61
11-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Oh! {slapping my hand over my mouth} What was I thinking???!!!

DotMom61
11-08-2005, 01:18 AM
I almost forgot! I got a pair of Size 13 16" bamboo circs @ Joanne's today ... for $6.38! I had a 40% off coupon.

Now ... the letdown of the day: I knit up a swatch of the Karaoke that I bought & tried to hand felt it. It felted up w/ holes in it. :mad: I'll have to run it through the washing machine to see what it will really do. I just didn't want to waste the electricity & water for one little bitty swatch.

I guess I'll wait 'til my next Booregon is finished & throw the swatch in with it. Only 1-2/3 i-cords to knit onto the bag & both handles, and then I can finish testing my Karaoke. It's such a pretty color, I hope it works.

KellyK
11-08-2005, 01:21 AM
http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/265.gif
Kelly? KELLY!!

Geez ... pay attention, will ya'?

:mad: HILDEGARD LOUISE VON KNITTIN!!!! :mad:

HOW the heck did I miss this PATTERN BLASPHEMY?!?!?!

Silly ladies.... :roflhard:

DotMom61
11-08-2005, 01:29 AM
Oh, MAN! I'm sorry, Hildie. I went and ratted you out, and now you have to listen to Kelly use your middle name! :doh:

amy
11-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Hildie, the butterflies are AWESOME!!!! :cheering: Cheesy and girly, and totally awesome because of it! Girl, you should NOT give those to a SIL you can't stand. Find someone who'll APPRECIATE them, seriously! And someone you LIKE, lol. (Oh Hildie, have I told you recently how gorgeous you are? :angelgrin: )

Dotmom, wow, those clogs have such great looking texture! What yarn is that? (I know I could read back, but --OMG this thread has gotten HUGE!)

KK, I love how Loise is now everyone's middle name. (Le'see, there's Joel Louise, Hildie Loise, and Ingy Loise....did I miss anyone? :roflhard: )

KellyK
11-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Dotmom, wow, those clogs have such great looking texture! What yarn is that? (I know I could read back, but --OMG this thread has gotten HUGE!)

KK, I love how Loise is now everyone's middle name. (Le'see, there's Joel Louise, Hildie Loise, and Ingy Loise....did I miss anyone? :roflhard: )
Yes....You missed Amy Louise. :thumbsup:

DotMom61
11-08-2005, 11:28 AM

{Julie says in here best sing-songy kindergarten voice:} Thank you, Miss Kelly!

Yes....You missed Amy Louise. :thumbsup:

Can I be a "Louise," too? I'm not especially fond of my middle name. :(

MichelleS
11-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi! New knitter here. I've read every page on this KAL, and I'm still left with a question (or two :thinking: ).

I'm about to embark on the outer sole of my first clog, and I intend to do a bumper. I'm having a hard time envisioning the final product. Is the bumper really just a little bit of stockinette stitch that sticks out from between the upper and the soles? Is that why we're worried about it curling up/down? Also, which way is the indended way for it to curl? I'd like to see the bumper all the way around, which seems to me a reason to have it curl UP?? so it doesn't get folded underneath with the sole. Or am I totally envisioning this incorrectly?

I'm anxious to finish this and move onto the second clog, which you've all promised I'll be able to do much more quickly. I am quite proud of myself for having gotten this far (with the correct # if stitches, no less, thankyaverymuch!) My LYS owner told me to come in if I needed help, but it's a 50 minute drive (not so L, I guess), so I thought I'd ask here first...

Thanks so much for your infinite wisdom,
Michelle

Julie
11-08-2005, 12:46 PM
The bumper is really just the bind-off row, which sticks out. If you do both clogs the same way, you don't really need to worry about the up/down business....I bind mine off with the bottom of the clog facing me and I think that means my bumpers face down. They look great to me! :thumbsup:

margie
11-08-2005, 01:32 PM
I don't know if this will help you or not, but I have a finished, unfelted clog, so I tried to get a picture of the bumper. The red stitches are from my 1st sole- it is red, and the outer sole is gray. The bumper is the part between my fingers, under the red stitches.

KellyK
11-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Can I be a "Louise," too? I'm not especially fond of my middle name. :(

Well, according to my theory, EVERYONE's middle name should be Louise! :mrgreen:

I've made up-bumpers and down-bumpers....I like the downs better.

CateKnits
11-08-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't want to be Louise...I'm quite fond of MY middle name. :P

MichelleS
11-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks so much for the input, all! I am going to take a stab at it, and I suppose that as long as I count correctly and keep the sole facing me, they'll at least both turn out matching, and if not....well, it wouldn't be the first time I've frogged on this project!

It is a fun thing to learn all these different skills on these clogs, but it's quite a step up from the Booga bags and Buttonhole bags I've been mass producing so far!

Onward...

Michelle

jodstr2
11-08-2005, 04:10 PM
I like down-bumpers. like Julie, I join the 2 soles and knit the bumper with the sole facing me.

MaryS
11-08-2005, 04:27 PM
I agree, I always knit my bumpers down.

I need to knit clogs in womens size 8 for a VERY narrow (like AAA) foot.
Any suggestions I should take into account? :??

I did womens size 8 for me, and I have a really WIDE foot (DD), and mine fit just fine, so I'm thinking if I don't "narrow" this up a bit, my niece will be able to put BOTH feet into the same clog :rofling:

It would be funny, but not terribly usable.

Thanks for the help.

Mary

liznwillow
11-08-2005, 04:59 PM

KK DON'T READ THIS PART

OKAY,, KK, YOU CAN START READING AGAIN

Julie, are you going to make mini clog christams ornaments???? that would be key-yooooot!

I think I'm going to give the clogs to my friend Carlie... she's a 7.5 EEEE and I think they will fit perfectly. SIL can have a scratchy ugly scarf!

Ok... now you need to tell me how to do an eyelet row. :lol:

Julie
11-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Depends on how many/how close together you want the eyelets....if you want a ton of them, it would be *K2tog, YO* all the way around. A little further apart: *K1, YO, K2tog* or *K2, YO, K2tog*...you get the idea.

liznwillow
11-08-2005, 07:00 PM
ahhh... ok. So, would I do that row after I completed all the rows in the pattern for the upper part? So I would basically be adding on a row?

KellyK
11-08-2005, 08:10 PM
I wonder if you could just thread a tapestry needle with your ribbon and push it through the felted fabric even WITHOUT the eyelets? The instructions for the felted booga bag have you make BIG holes for the straps after felting, I dont see why you couldnt just make small, sewing-sized holes for ribbon.... :??

liznwillow
11-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Maybe I'll try that first on my first pair of clogs. I'll see if it works and then I'll felt the second pair. :D

foothills
11-08-2005, 09:27 PM
In my unworldly opinion, Fiber Trends could have left the M1's out of this pattern :roflhard: I officially casted on at 6:50 p.m. EST and have already found the M1's to be a real official pain :wall: Do we have a screaming emoticon?:rofl: I'm doing a little backtracking and hope that it all comes out in the wash :lol: ...only on row 2 because I had never done an M1 and the video seemed to be cutting off Amy's hand motions near the bottom...

KK...if Dawson gets these clogs before he enters kindergarten, he will be one lucky little boy :rofling: When he grows out of them, Grandma thinks she will get them bronzed ;)

I am officially :frog: at 8:43 p.m :roflhard: and casting on with concentration :lol:

Joyce

KellyK
11-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Dont cry, Joyce!! :heart:

My advice about the M1s is to knit fairly loosely. Makes it easier to get the right needle through once you've picked up the st in between.

And, I PROMISE, on behalf of Clog People everywhere, that the 2nd clog is EASIER!!

KellyK
11-08-2005, 10:05 PM
OH...and, BTW.....I washed my original clogs for the first time tonight since their original felting....

They snugged up just an iota of a smidgen, and I even threw them in the DRYER! Took 'em out WARM and put 'em on my POOR COLD feet.....HEAVEN!! :inlove:

foothills
11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the encouragement KK...a couple of weeks ago, I probably would have cried...now that the W2W program is apparently helping and I have no pressure of a festival to warp my mind, I'm taking it all in stride with patience ;)

The M1's aren't too bad once you figure out the technique...there's just seems to be so many stitch changes that concentration is a necessity ;)

Sure would love to sink my cold feet into some warm clogs :drooling:

Joyce

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-08-2005, 10:36 PM
for my first pair, I did KFB instead of M1 and they turned out fine. It just took more concentration... I do NOT recommend this technique, BTW, b/c it's confusing. But if you like confusion, it works with the same results. On the pair I am doing now, I am doing it the "right" way.

About the bumpers... it doesn't really matter if you have them up or down, just that you have them both the same way. If you knit one with the toe part up towards the ceiling and facing you, make usre that you do the seond one the same way. You can't really tell once they are knitted, but it is VERY obvious after felting.

bubba
11-09-2005, 01:04 AM
I doubt anyone might see this tonight, but....

I have knitted the first seven rows then the next row for the upper part of the clog...however, I don't understand what I do where it say bring the beginning of the last row up onto th epoint of the left needle etc.....what is that sentence telling me to do?? In semi-beginners language please!

pat.

KellyK
11-09-2005, 01:18 AM
You are going to bring the other end of the needle up from the left side and join to work in the round. Have you ever worked in the round before?

bubba
11-09-2005, 01:59 AM
Thanks Kelly....I got it. I am sitting here at work knitting this and it was a bit busy and I wasn't reading clearly at the time. I have worked in the round before and I think I have it right now....at least it is starting to look like a slipper for the wife of the jolly green giant...ho ho ho!!!

Thanks again,
pat.

DotMom61
11-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Well, Hildie, you must have read my mind. When I read Joyce's post re: the M1s, I thought, "Why not just do a KF&B?" And now you've answered that, but I'm confused as to why it would be confusing. Explain, please??

I didn't do a bumper on my first pair, but now I'm curious to try it.

Julie
11-09-2005, 12:06 PM
:?? Julie, it sure looks like there is a bumper on your first pair....am I seeing things??

DotMom61
11-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Well, I think you might be seeing things. ;-) I didn't put the bumper on, but the sole is definitely "separate" from the body. Not quite bumperish, though. It may be because I didn't felt them much???

lisak
11-09-2005, 03:46 PM
I am working on the cuff part of my very first clog. Things have gone so well, but I'm kind of stuck now. I've picked up stitches and am getting ready to do the 3NBO, but it's so awkward with the two circs. Which way should the working yarn be coming from? It doesn't seem like I will be closing the circle the way I've got it. And the spare needle end is so in the way. Any tips on how this is supposed to go? :??

Thanks!

Ingrid
11-09-2005, 03:59 PM
You should be able to hold the two needles that need to be bound off parallel to each other in your left hand. An extra needle or other point of one of your needles, if it reaches, can be used in your right hand to bind off.

mshelton
11-09-2005, 06:38 PM
I agree, I always knit my bumpers down.

I need to knit clogs in womens size 8 for a VERY narrow (like AAA) foot.
Any suggestions I should take into account? :??

I did womens size 8 for me, and I have a really WIDE foot (DD), and mine fit just fine, so I'm thinking if I don't "narrow" this up a bit, my niece will be able to put BOTH feet into the same clog :rofling:

It would be funny, but not terribly usable.

Thanks for the help.

Mary

Mary-- On a women's narrow foot, I can only recommend that you use the cast on row as row one, then follow instructions. It leaves out one row which makes the sole more narrow. I have done this on a couple of clogs pairs. It helps a little. It is a is a little more difficult to do row two on the cast on row but it is doable.

MaryS
11-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks, mshelton! I'll give it a try :XX: :XX: :XX:

Mary

liznwillow
11-09-2005, 07:39 PM
In my unworldly opinion, Fiber Trends could have left the M1's out of this pattern :roflhard: I officially casted on at 6:50 p.m. EST and have already found the M1's to be a real official pain :wall: Do we have a screaming emoticon?:rofl: I'm doing a little backtracking and hope that it all comes out in the wash :lol: ...only on row 2 because I had never done an M1 and the video seemed to be cutting off Amy's hand motions near the bottom...

KK...if Dawson gets these clogs before he enters kindergarten, he will be one lucky little boy :rofling: When he grows out of them, Grandma thinks she will get them bronzed ;)

I am officially :frog: at 8:43 p.m :roflhard: and casting on with concentration :lol:

Joyce

I absolutely agree with you Joyce! It is such a PITA!!! I cringe every time I see an M1 coming... :doh:

Indygirl
11-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Sorry I yelled. But, I feel like Im talking to my DH....

:mad: "Will ya just read the friggin directions, HUNEY?!?!? And, STOP OVERTIGHTENING! You're gonna strip the screw again!" :mad:

I WUV HILDIE!

Here are the WOTA colors in which I've made clogs so far....

The first ones are snickerdoodle and evergreen
DH's are Mist and Coal.

GREAT CLOGS. I have never felted. Gotta try it :XX:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Well, Hildie, you must have read my mind. When I read Joyce's post re: the M1s, I thought, "Why not just do a KF&B?" And now you've answered that, but I'm confused as to why it would be confusing. Explain, please??
I thought it was confusing just because I had to count some of the stitches twice. :doh: I don't have the pattern at school, but I remember a specific place where I screwed up and had to frog... anyway, when I get home, I'll look.

Julie
11-09-2005, 11:26 PM
I totaly credit the FT clog pattern with getting me used to doing M1s. In the beginning they were suuuuch a paaaaaain and now, six pairs later, I don't mind them at all. :D

KellyK
11-09-2005, 11:45 PM
I use the right-hand needle to lift the bar up on to the left needle...maybe that'll help ya.

foothills
11-10-2005, 07:56 AM
I'm to the point where it's time to join into round on upper part of the clog... :?? I know how to join into round, but the pattern seems somewhat confusing to me in that I knit continental, so looking at this blurred pic, do I have the RS marked on the correct side...it's the red yarn...(I have not turned my work), do I have the marker in the correct position or should I join before placing the marker?, and if so, the pattern tells me to bring the beg of the last row up onto the point of the left needle, place marker and knit one complete...this part is confusing me...I would normally knit the join beginning with my right needle...can someone explain exactly what the pattern wants from me :roflhard:

Joyce

KellyK
11-10-2005, 08:17 AM
YES...that looks right, as long as that's your working yarn coming off of the right needle. When they talked about bringing the "beg of the last row up onto the point of the left needle", I think they just mean to scoosh the sts up to the point so that you can reach them with the R needle to join & knit in the round. If you pretend that ALL of that work is just a cast on row, then you are really doing what you ALWAYS do when you knit in the round. And, there really is no real point in "marking" the right side....It doesnt come up again in the pattern.

foothills
11-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks Kelly...they are just trying to confuse a semi-confused person who is branching out beyond bags, scarves, shawls, etc :lol:

I woke up at 4:30 this morning...my internal clock hasn't adjusted to the time change yet...began working on the clog and DH woke up and naturally, I started talking and lost my place in the pattern...recovered...but decided that I needed to keep my mouth shut while working on this pattern :rofling:

KellyK
11-10-2005, 08:33 AM
:lol: Yeah......we all need a sign that says "Clog in Progress....QUIET, PLEASE!!"

margie
11-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Remember the itty bitty baby clogs that I made? Well, the mother of the baby that they were for emailed a pic of them to a friend. She wants to order some from me!!!! I told my friend to get shoe sizes and colors. How would I go about figuring out what to charge for them?? At this point she wants kids clogs. I'm kind of excited about it, but a little nervous too!!

Angelia
11-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Wow, Margie! Congrats to you! (Of course they were adorable, so I'm not surprised someone's requested an order!)

As to how to calculate a price for such a thing...gee. I dunno. Cost of yarn, obviously, but how does one put a price on this kind of work? :thinking:

liznwillow
11-10-2005, 02:40 PM
That's awesome that you're getting orders for your clogs. How exciting! I would factor in the cost of the supplies and mark it up 25% for your time. Just a suggestion.

Also, did you ever take a pic of the felted itty bitty clog?

Ingrid
11-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Charge what they're worth!!!!!!!!! Don't base it on the cost of materials. Don't sell your time short. Tell them that they're at least $40 for kids' hand-made, hand felted clogs. If you sell them for cost of materials and just a few bucks, you're making a dollar an hour!

Sorry for the rant. It's just too easy for us to minimize what we charge for our things. They're worth a lot and since you can't find these clogs out there, people will be willing to pay. Don't sell yourself short. I've seen hats on sale at wool shows for $35. It probably took two hours to knit.

liznwillow
11-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Cloggies #2 done!

Unfortunately, these were made for a daycare kid who I had to kick out this week. She's a biter/hitter/pusher/mean little girl who even hits tiny babies. So, they're all done and still wet for her to take home today. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/liznwillow/Misc%20Pictures/RachaelClogs2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/liznwillow/Misc%20Pictures/RachaelClogs.jpg

Angelia
11-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Cloggies #2 done!

Unfortunately, these were made for a daycare kid who I had to kick out this week. She's a biter/hitter/pusher/mean little girl who even hits tiny babies. So, they're all done and still wet for her to take home today. :D

Those look great! :inlove:

I'm not so sure she should receive such goodies, though. Therapy, yes, but not pretty clogs.

Maybe you could embroider "Be Kind to Others" on the tops so that she can read it over and over and over....

DotMom61
11-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Unfortunately, these were made for a daycare kid who I had to kick out this week. She's a biter/hitter/pusher/mean little girl who even hits tiny babies.

And you made these for her because ... ????

liznwillow
11-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Cloggies #2 done!

Those look great! :inlove:

I'm not so sure she should receive such goodies, though. Therapy, yes, but not pretty clogs.

Maybe you could embroider "Be Kind to Others" on the tops so that she can read it over and over and over....

:roflhard: That was a good one! I wish I had time!! I would rather put: BE NICE!, as that is my mantra.

And you made these for her because ... ????

She's only 18 months old and I am making all the daycare kids the clogs for Christmas. PLUS, I had them pretty much done before I decided to give her the boot. She has had 4 incidents (3 with my own daughter) within the past 2 weeks. The last incident was when she walked up to the 5 month old in the jumperoo and whacked her over the head with a wooden flute several times. :roll:

HeatherFeather
11-10-2005, 08:35 PM
beautiful work everyone...it is nearly painful however to see such beauties....lol....I can NOT even STEP into the yarn shop/online shopping until at least mid December....but hopefully I'll be able to with some Christmas money...but for now, I'll salivate over your projects!!!!!!!!!!!

humblestumble
11-10-2005, 10:35 PM
oh my goodness! Cute clogs! Sorry bout the little brat :(

Ingrid
11-10-2005, 10:51 PM
At least when she kicks someone, the clogs will soften the blow! :rollseyes:

Angelia
11-10-2005, 10:53 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard:

amy
11-10-2005, 11:23 PM

It's so great seeing everyone get into this project! I still haven't made them, and listening to you talk about the pattern, a part of me goes: "Geeze, how on earth are these made?" They sound COOL.

KellyK
11-10-2005, 11:33 PM
We're SUCKIN YOU IN, Aimola!! JOIIINNNNNNN USSSSSSS!!

OR, you can wait until January and see the ones that Im making!

OH! That wont work....they will have all been given away for Christmas by then!

You're just gonna have to knit 'em yourself!

DotMom61
11-11-2005, 01:19 AM
She's only 18 months old and I am making all the daycare kids the clogs for Christmas

Oh, geez, Liz. Now I feel awful. I thought we were talking about an older child!!! How cool that you made all your little people clogs! I'm sure they loved them!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-11-2005, 05:55 AM
DM, why feel awful???? I tell my kids all the time... I don't reward inappropriate behavior! You're the only kid who doesn't get candy because you're an ass? Stop acting like an *** then, ***!!!!!!!! (well, something like that anyway!)

okay, the m1/kfb issue: In rows 2, 4 and 6 of the sole, when you have to k a bunch, then it says m1 k3 4 times, or whatever, I ended up doing, for instance, kfb k kfb k k kfb k k kfb k k k or something, and on subsequent rows, my increases weren't all lines up like they're supposed to be... or they were lined up and they're not supposed to be.... anyway, since I an't even type it out without being confused, i just concluded that i'd better follow direction :-)

margie
11-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Liz, I have a biter too. I watch 3 kids, and he started biting the other 2 about a week or so ago. It is frustrating!!

The clogs are really cute. I thought of making clogs for my babies that I watch, too. I'm not sure if I'll get the time though. Christmas is coming faster and faster!!

Ingrid
11-11-2005, 10:33 AM
[quote="liznwillow"]Cloggies #2 done!

Unfortunately, these were made for a daycare kid who I had to kick out this week. She's a biter/hitter/pusher/mean little girl who even hits tiny babies. S :D

Do you know what folks at my school call these kinds of kids?

Job security! ;)

Sara
11-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Liz, I think her clogs should say "NO KICKING!"

DotMom61
11-11-2005, 11:04 AM
DM, why feel awful????

Hildness ...

I just felt bad 'cause I didn't realize she was as young as she was, and while she shouldn't be allowed to do the things she was doing, I also don't feel that she should be held entirely accountable because she's too young to know better unless she's getting consistent discipline at home, and so it's more her parents' fault than hers, and she should still get the cloggies. {gasp} I said all that with one breath ... :D

liznwillow
11-11-2005, 12:27 PM
DM, why feel awful????

Hildness ...

I just felt bad 'cause I didn't realize she was as young as she was, and while she shouldn't be allowed to do the things she was doing, I also don't feel that she should be held entirely accountable because she's too young to know better unless she's getting consistent discipline at home, and so it's more her parents' fault than hers, and she should still get the cloggies. {gasp} I said all that with one breath ... :D

OMG! :shock: Those are my thoughts straight out of my head... I SWEAR! The reason I had to let her go was because she was getting MORE malicious. When she first started acting out, it was just typical toddler behavior. Last week she bit my daughter 3 times; once in the face, drawing blood, once in the upper arm which is still bruised and once on her back leaving a tiny tooth mark. Most people would have let her go after the 3rd bite, but she had been sick, so I let it go thinking maybe she was just feeling crappy. She's a very angry child and I don't know why. It makes me sad. She is always putting dolls in the timeout chair and yelling, "NO!" So, I have a feeling she's in timeout A LOT at home.

Sorry we got off topic there!

margie
11-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Oh, that is sad. Poor angry baby. My biter does so when he is angry- if someone is trying to take a toy from him or pushing him, etc- he knows it is wrong, and cries when you tell him NO and put him in timeout, but is too young to be able to control the impulse. He hasn't bitten hard enough to draw blood- yikes.

My grandmother's clogs are in the washer felting right now!! :happydance:

MaryS
11-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Margie,

Where did you get the soles for your clogs?
My DS wants a pair for Xmas, but I'll need soles for his.

Thanks!

Mary

DotMom61
11-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Liz --

You're apologizing for being off topic!! :lol:

I'm really sad to hear about the little girl -- it makes me angry to see parents in stores and such that "create" behavior in their children like that. I suppose it's a cyclical thing, though, and the parents were probably raised like that, too. It's too bad that those who really need the parenting classes seldom get them unless something horrible enough happens, and they are mandated to. :(

I'm curious about how the parents reacted to you "excusing" her from your daycare. Were they suprised?

Oh, and, um ... Margie, Yay for Grandma's clogs!!! Can't wait to see them!

There ... back on topic.

margie
11-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Mary, I ordered my soles from Patternworks. They were 13.99. They have both lined and unlined soles- I ordered the unlined ones. I couldn't see the point of the lined ones, since the clogs have the soles on the bottom already. My BIL's clogs are done, but I haven't sewed the soles on yet, because when I put them on the bottom of the clog, there is an "air pocket" where the felted clog sole doesn't fill in the space of the suede sole. I am going to go out this weekend and buy some of that fleecey stuff that you can buy by the yard, and cut it out to fit in the bottom of the suede sole. I don't see why it won't work that way, but if I was doing it again, I think I'd order the lined soles. I will post picures after I get the suede on these ones.

liznwillow
11-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Liz --

You're apologizing for being off topic!! :lol:

I'm really sad to hear about the little girl -- it makes me angry to see parents in stores and such that "create" behavior in their children like that. I suppose it's a cyclical thing, though, and the parents were probably raised like that, too. It's too bad that those who really need the parenting classes seldom get them unless something horrible enough happens, and they are mandated to. :(

I'm curious about how the parents reacted to you "excusing" her from your daycare. Were they suprised?

Oh, and, um ... Margie, Yay for Grandma's clogs!!! Can't wait to see them!

There ... back on topic.

Dotmom, they were very surprised! And they acted as though it was something I had done. :roll: After one of her biting incidents, her father asked me if I spanked her. I clearly explained that I am not allowed to spank. After the next biting incident, he again asked me if I spanked her. I said, "No. 1) I am not allowed to spank her, 2) I don't believe a spanking is what she needs. That would be reinforcing violent behavior. I am here to set an example and hitting is not the example I want to set." He continued to try to convince me that spanking is all that is going to work with her. GRRRR... After having that conversation, I knew that it wasn't going to work out. If what they're doing at home is spanking, anything positive that I do is going to have zero affect. Now, mind you, I do believe that spanking can be effective, in the right scenario, but 18 months is far too young to start that.

foothills
11-12-2005, 07:52 AM
(Sorry about the last pic...it was dark outside...it's light now and cold as the dickens, so I snapped another pic ;) I think it's a little more clear...

PLEASE TELL ME WHETHER I'M DOING THIS CORRECTLY :roflhard:

I am in the pattern to using a spare circ to pick up the back loops of round 1 of cuff and the needle in the center of the pic is a size 11 circ (have picked up 3 of the back loops of stitches off of the left needle...do I pick up ALL 31 stitches and put them on the size 11 circs and do a 3 needle bind off with the size 13 circs? AND, DO I HAVE THIS CLOG WITH THE CORRECT SIDE IN THE CORRECT POSITION....the garter bumps are now on the outside of the clog (the dk. blue)...if not, I'll have to start over, won't I??

THIS MUST GET MUCH SIMPLER WITH THE SECOND CLOG...THIS FIRST ONE IS A YARN OF KNOWLEDGE :shock:

Joyce

KellyK
11-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Joyce....its hard to see your pic because of the dark colored yarn. :(

margie
11-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Joyce, I agree with Kelly- it is hard to tell from your picture- but, you want the right side of the clog to be facing out- that is, the blue part of your clog should be "knitted" side facing, so that when you turn the cuff and do your 3 needle bind off, you've got the contrast of the knit upper and the purled cuff. Hope this makes sense- and.........THE 2ND ONE IS EASIER!! I PROMISE!

foothills
11-12-2005, 08:48 AM
I think the knitted side would be facing each other when doing the 3 needle bind off...of course, I'd then have to turn the clog inside out for the knitted side to be on the outside...have I confused anyone yet? :lol:

KellyK
11-12-2005, 09:13 AM
The knitted side of the CUFF sts should be facing with the purl bumps out, but the knitted side of the clog upper should be facing out.

Did you use the 11s to pu the sts INSIDE the clog?

I use the right needle of my sz 13 circ to DO the 3NBO. The right side of the 11 just kinda hangs there.

I wish I had a pair on needles right now to show you because its still hard to see what yours is doing!! :(

Angelia
11-12-2005, 09:18 AM
We need webcams and some kind of setup for instant demonstrations!

"Come, cloggers, to KellyK's Klog Room! Showing now: the 'Knitter of a Thousand Clogs' will demonstrate picking up back loops on the spare circ!"

foothills
11-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Ok...let's see if I can explain what I've done :rofling:

I chose as my spare needle a size 11 circ..I HAVE TAKEN THE 3 STITCHES WHICH I HAD STARTED PICKING UP THE BACK LOOPS FROM THE LEFT NEEDLE OFF....so, this pic shows my stopping point before going to the spare needle and in the direction of how I would pick it up to start picking up the stitches from my left size 13 circs to place onto the size 11's...or spare needles (if that's what the pattern is telling me to do)

If I were to pick up the work and just begin knitting, the yarn is coming from the right needle and the bumps of the cuff are on the inside....

If this is correct, wouldn't I pick up all of the stitches and put them onto the size 11 cirs, then do the b/o with the 13's?

margie
11-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Joyce, right now your clog is inside out. If you turn it right side out, you will then pick up the stitches from round one of cuff- on the inside of the clog. Then, if you hold the size 11 needle and your size 13 needle together in your left hand, you can use the other end of your size 13 to do the 3 needle bind off. The working yarn will be coming off of the needle in your right hand.
The cuff should be purl side out, with the top of the clog being knit side out.

I hope this helps!!

foothills
11-12-2005, 11:49 AM
After reading Kelly's explicit explanation, I had just figured out that I had it wrongside out when your response came through...now, round 1 of the cuff would be from the bottom where the gray (cuff) begins, right?...because if I pick up and start the b/o where my stitches are currently on the needles, I would close up the top of the clog Hey...if I mess up, I'm not beyond restarting this thing :roflhard:

Thanks for making an effort to help...it's kind of confusing, but once I get it, shouldn't be a problem...I think :roflhard:

Here's a pic of what I think I'm supposed to do...but again, probablyWRONG!! The needle I'm holding with my thumb is the size 11 to pick up loops from the bottom of the cuff or what I think is the first round. Is this picking up the same as picking up stitches for anything else or do I have that wrong too and need to be picking up from the other
side? :??

margie
11-12-2005, 01:42 PM
That looks right!! You just pick up those bottom gray stitches where they meet the blue. Then hole both needles together the way that you are in the pic, and knit with the right needle, going in to both stitches that you have in your left hand. Hopefully, I'm not confusing you even more! I have one clog on the needles right now- I was knitting away this morning, hoping to get to the cuff in time to take a picture to show you!! I haven't quite made it yet though- several more rows to go. If you are still having trouble when I get to it, I'll take a picture of my cuff and see if that helps.

foothills
11-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks Margie...I may just wait to continue when I see your pic because I'd really hate to frog at this point unless I must ;)

Is the purpose in doing this so the clog cuff will be rolled and by the back loop, I'm assuming I go in and pick up the center of the V or the whole stitch?

Sorry to be a pain today...but this has stumped me really well this morning.

margie
11-12-2005, 02:19 PM
I've gotten to the cuff, but I only have row 1 done and now I have to leave- we are taking the kids to the movies to see Chicken Little. Yes, the cuff will roll and be along the edge of the upper part of the clog. When you do the 3 needle bind off, you are putting your right needle into each of the stitches on the left needle exactly the same way as you do regularly, you just do 2 at one time- one from the 13" circ. and one from the other that you used to pick up the loops from round one of cuff.

You aren't being a pain- I was equally as stumped, if not more, on my first pair too.

I'll check back in when we get home from the movies!!! :thumbsup:

margie
11-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Back from the movies!! Here are a few pictures, although it is hard to get them to show what I'd like. I don't know if this will help or not- if there's something else I can take a picture of that will help, let me know. I'm not going to be finishing the cuff until after the kids go to bed, most likely!

foothills
11-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks Margie...I thought I had it all figured out and ended up with 34 stitches on the needle rather than 31 as the pattern said I should have in number of loops and :frog: the whole thing...and started over...I'll tell you one thing though....the 2nd time around is SOOOOO much easier than the 1st on that 2nd row....I've gotten to the point where you add the 2nd color to begin the upper part of the clog....

I think what was really confusing me was trying to figure out what the pattern means by "back loops of round 1 cuff"...aren't these just the loops at the bottom of the cuff that sort of lay there horizontally and I'll pick them up onto the third needle and do the 3 needle b/o with the larger needle? If this is the case, it doesn't really seem like I'd be "picking up stitches" in the customary way...oh, well...I'm trying to make this more complicated than it actually is...the proof is in that row 2 was a breeze this time :roflhard:

Julie
11-12-2005, 07:36 PM
You're right -- you're not picking up stitches in the traditional way -- just picking up the loops & using them for the 3NBO. Though you *can* pick up stitches through the loops if that is easier for you -- someone has mentioned doing it that way.

foothills
11-12-2005, 07:51 PM
I just hope my little Dawson loves these clogs and holds onto them for his child one of these days :rofling:

I'm sure I'll be back because the saga continues......

InterNette
11-12-2005, 09:03 PM
On the sole of these clogs, what is the top loop>? I dont see exactly what they mean by this? Can someone explain in baby talk to me?

Ingrid
11-12-2005, 09:17 PM
The widdle bumpies on top of the widdle stitchies.

Just look for the top of the stitches all the way around-- the inverted u part and slip your needle into each one.

margie
11-12-2005, 09:29 PM
The widdle bumpies on top of the widdle stitchies.

margie
11-12-2005, 09:32 PM
My sister is coming over- you wouldn't believe all that I just went through!! I am giving both her and her husband clogs for Christmas. I don't want her to see ANY clogs- so I just had to hide mine, her husband's since I was getting ready to sew on the suede sole, my kids, and my grandmother's and my husband's since theirs were sitting out drying! I ran out of easy places to hide them- the last two pairs went in the tupperware drawer! :rofling:

KellyK
11-12-2005, 10:01 PM
On the sole of these clogs, what is the top loop>? I dont see exactly what they mean by this? Can someone explain in baby talk to me?

If you take a close-up pic of the underside of your clog and post it, Ill snatch it & use MS Paint to try to circle the sts you should pick up....

Ingrid
11-12-2005, 10:43 PM
My sister is coming over- you wouldn't believe all that I just went through!! I am giving both her and her husband clogs for Christmas. I don't want her to see ANY clogs- so I just had to hide mine, her husband's since I was getting ready to sew on the suede sole, my kids, and my grandmother's and my husband's since theirs were sitting out drying! I ran out of easy places to hide them- the last two pairs went in the tupperware drawer! :rofling:

:roflhard: :roflhard: Like hiding your drugs, or empies!!

Jouf
11-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Margie, have you done any others with the suede soles? Can you post a pic?

margie
11-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Jouf, I haven't done the suede soles before. I was hoping to sew my first pair on tonight, but after my sister left, I got everything out and realized that I don't have a needle that is big enough for the yarn and small enough to go through the holes on the soles!!! How frustrating. So, tomorrow I will go get the right sized needle. I will definitely post pics when I do them. I am going to put suede on my BIL's and grandmother's clogs.

margie
11-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Here are the latest clogs I've done- my husband's Ohio State University ones- hence the scarlet and gray.......

Also, my grandmother's clogs. Hers will get gray suede soles on, but the clogs are still too damp to put the soles on. On her clogs, I did the higher back- but I don't think it made much of a difference. You just knit 2 extra rounds before knitting the cuff.

Jouf
11-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Margie, they look great! I think those two rows may make a big difference and I might try that. I like my slippers to stay on and I think those two rows might do it. Where did you buy your soles from?

margie
11-12-2005, 11:25 PM
I bought the soles from Patterworks. They were 13.99. Hopefully I'll be posting pictures of them tomorrow!

Julie
11-13-2005, 12:44 AM
Not sure how well this shows up...but this is what it will look like once you have picked up the loops...

Andrea
11-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Margie

I am in :heart: with the pink and grey!! bea-u-ti-ful!!

KellyK
11-13-2005, 05:03 PM
I agree! That soft pink & gray are SO pretty! Good job!

margie
11-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks, guys!!! I sewed on one of the suede soles for my BIL's clogs. I really like the way it turned out- I think he is much more likely to wear them this way. The picture isn't that great- I need a size 13 model!!

Ingrid
11-13-2005, 06:06 PM
That's the first I've seen with the sole on it. I like it!

InterNette
11-13-2005, 06:35 PM
I love your clogs with the soles, they are terrific. I would love those.
I wanted to take a pic for kk to show my but camera is being charged. One came out well and the second one is a Bast&**(

jodstr2
11-13-2005, 08:18 PM
very nice work, all of you :inlove: !

I have yet to felt my Christmas pairs. hoping to do this before Dec. 1 and get the pics up.

Angelia
11-13-2005, 08:42 PM
That sole looks great!

In fact, the clogs look great--nice work!

I, too, like the pink and gray, and the felting makes them blend so nicely together.

Andrea
11-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Not quite ready to start knitting them up, but here's the yarn!! :D

Mine are Hollyberry/Snickerdoodle and Hubby's will be Snickerdoodle and Evergreen! I can't wait to start them!

Angelia
11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
:crying: :crying:

Oh, they're just lovely!

Some day my WOTA will come...Snuggle yours for me!

liznwillow
11-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Ohhhhhh, I LOOOOOOVE the pink and grey. Why didn't I think of pink and grey? I have a pink and grey scarf that I made myself (the only thing I've ever knitted for myself). What kind of yarn is that? I just love the shades!!

foothills
11-14-2005, 05:51 PM
NO, I HAVEN'T GIVEN UP :roflhard:

I have frogged the infamous clog about 4 times though due to coming up short a few stitches at the end of the last round before beginning the cuff...NOW, THE STUPID TELEPHONE RANG while I was being so very careful (I thought) and I missed a purl one....I'm off one stitch at the end of row 23 (for the med. children's clog)...DO I NEED TO FROG THIS *%&^*)*^%^%@%# AGAIN? :wall: :roflhard:

This is enough to drive a sane person insane...sure is good practice though ;)

Julie
11-14-2005, 06:48 PM
NOOOO!!! Don't frog it!!! Just knit the cuff! A few stitches shouldn't make a difference...felting covers a multitude of screw-ups!!

foothills
11-14-2005, 06:51 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...I WAS BEGINNING TO REEEEEEEALLY GET FRUSTRATED :roflhard:

margie
11-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Ohhhhhh, I LOOOOOOVE the pink and grey. Why didn't I think of pink and grey? I have a pink and grey scarf that I made myself (the only thing I've ever knitted for myself). What kind of yarn is that? I just love the shades!!

Liz, I used Lambs Pride in grey heather and victorian pink. I love Lamb's Pride! It is 80% wool and 20% mohair- nice and fuzzy!!

margie
11-14-2005, 08:11 PM
NOOOO!!! Don't frog it!!! Just knit the cuff! A few stitches shouldn't make a difference...felting covers a multitude of screw-ups!!

I agree, I agree!!! You'll never notice the difference of those few stitches. That's why I love felting so much!! :happydance:

Lucy Fan
11-15-2005, 12:22 AM
Yay, for small achievements! I just started the clogs and made it safely through row 2!! I did my first M1's and my first W&T's and came out with the correct number of stitches at the end.

Ingrid
11-15-2005, 12:28 AM
You managed to go over the top of the mountain on your first try! Good for you!

Lucy Fan
11-15-2005, 01:49 AM
Well I just finished row 4 and I thought I was doing well but when I counted the stitches when I finished I was one stitch short. I counted 3 times and each time come up one stitch short. It didn't make sense to me because usually when I make a mistake the pattern won't fit with the number of stitches I have left on my needle as I'm finishing. But this one did. With all of the M1s and W&T's I'm not sure I'll be able to go back and fix my mistake. I'm not even sure where my mistake is. I'm going to set the needles aside for the night I think and then look at it tomorrow.

Lucy Fan
11-15-2005, 01:54 AM
:thinking: Thinking about it now since it worked so perfectly with the pattern at the end, I must have accidently skipped one of the M1s. Going to see if I can spot it.

Edit*** Okay, yeah, I couldn't spot any of my M1s *lol* So, since I have read that felting is so forgiving. I just undid my last stitch, made one in front of it and then reknit the last stitch :oops: Hopefully it won't make much of a difference. I just thought that it probably wasn't worth the hassle of trying to frog back.

Okay, now I'm really putting down the needles for the night.

Lucy Fan
11-15-2005, 02:28 AM
:doh: I'm such an idiot. I'm relooking at the pattern before bed and realized that I used the wrong color to start off with. I wanted beige for the sole/cuff color and dark blue for the rest of it, so now I don't know what to do. I can either A)frog it and start over in the right color, B) Go buy more of the dark blue and just do one color for the whole thing (even though it might not be the same dye lot) or C) go pick a new color for the main color and use the beige for something else. Sigh.

KellyK
11-15-2005, 08:23 AM
These clogs HAVE taught me how to spot M1's.... it helps to stretch your work out a bit lengthwise as you move along to count. M1's look kinda like an "awareness ribbon". You'll see the biggest difference just above the garter ridge.

foothills
11-15-2005, 12:03 PM

I HAVE BEEN KNITTING THE MOST EXPENSIVE CLOGS IN HISTORY :roflhard:

Here I have....almost finished the %^$$& first clog...and while working on the sole, realized that I have been following the pattern for a size 8 (which would be correct since Dawson wears a 7 1/2 shoe right now...but the pattern calls it a LARGE and I stopped the upper at the medium before starting the cuff...I'm NOT frogging...I've frogged this yarn so many times that I think it's now bad luck :shock:

I'm going downtown to buy some Cascade because I can't wait for Knitpicks due to persistence...I now MUST do this correctly the first time and will not CUT any yarn until I'm finished :oops:

Joyce

margie
11-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Keep on keepin' on, guys!! You can do it!!!! :thumbsup:

foothills
11-15-2005, 01:46 PM
That's right...don't let one woman's senility deter anyone :rofling:

I went to the lys and bought Cascade 220 to get these finished; however, the blue is not as dark as the KP color I had chosen...but if Dawson ever gets these on his little feet, they'll be darker with soil anyway ;)

lisak
11-15-2005, 03:59 PM
So, has any one made some clogs in any blue color combos? I am just finishing up my first pair of clogs (just have the second sole to do) for my MIL. She has a lot of black and khaki color clothes, so I used coal and snickerdoodle for the pair. Very plain, but her excuse for all those color clothes is that she's getting old and she wants to match when she picks out her own clothes. Silly.

Anyway, I want to make another pair for my SIL and she likes blue. However I am so bad at matching colors (how hard is it to match blue and blue, really?!) and I can't decide what to get. I'm dying to place my order so I can have my stuff before traveling for Thanksgiving! I really want to do the two colors also. Does anyone have any suggestions or pics? I swear I'll get some of my own pics up soon!

THANKS! :D

Julie
11-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Danielle made some blue/blue ones...there's a pic on this page:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619&start=2505

lisak
11-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the link Julie! Danielle's clogs look great. I think I may have a winner! ;)

liznwillow
11-15-2005, 04:34 PM
I am working on a pair for my niece that are in WOTA Chambray upper and Winter Night sole and cuff. They look really good!

DotMom61
11-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Well, I'm starting to panic a little ... I bought a bunch of Karaoke yarn, if you'll recall, to knit some clogs for my DD. I did up a swatch & tried to hand-felt it, and it didn't really felt very well.

So, today I finished another Booregon bag, and I threw the Karaoke swatch in with it to see if it would felt some more. So far, after two cycles, it doesn't seem to have made any progress. :crying:

Off to check it again ... after the 3rd cycle. :pray:

liznwillow
11-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Uggghhh... sorry to hear that! Is it 100% wool? or is it a blend?

DotMom61
11-15-2005, 05:10 PM
It's 1/2 wool & 1/2 soy silk, and they say it will felt on their web site, and the guy @ the LYS where I bought it said he'd heard it felts "wonderfully."

I guess the good news is that it's a terrific yarn, otherwise, and it's really soft and would make a nice scarf or something. But I really wanted to make clogs, with it. :mad:

MaryS
11-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi lisak,

I did a pair of clogs in Knitpicks WOTA using Rain for the uppers and Bluebonnet for the soles and cuffs. They came out wonderfully!

When I first got the yarn, I thought maybe I should have ordered Cambray with the Bluebonnet, but after they were knit and felted I really like the way they look together.

The Bluebonnet is a bright blue, and the rain a softer blue.

Have fun!!!

Mary

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-15-2005, 07:27 PM
DM, it might felt "wonderfully" but that doesn't mean quickly! Keep trying!

DotMom61
11-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Thanks, Hild. I threw it in the dryer w/ my "felting jeans." I haven't gone to check on it since, then, either ... it's probably turned into a little ball of fluff by now.

Lucy Fan
11-16-2005, 03:13 AM
Finished row 15 tonight. Still have lots more to do, but I love to see how it is coming together. So neat. I have to write everything down though when I do it or I'll lose track. I'm thinking about trying to make a copy of this tomorrow at work. Highlight the parts that are for the one I am making and check them off as I do them.

margie
11-16-2005, 01:48 PM
My grandmother's clogs are completely finished!! I really like the way these ones turned out with the suede.

KellyK
11-16-2005, 02:02 PM
REALLY pretty!

humblestumble
11-16-2005, 02:07 PM
oh wow! You used the slipper bottoms! Great job!

bubba
11-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Now I am grumbling.......I just ran out of yarn as I was knitting the sole of the second slipper (I have two rows to go before joining), and I ran out of yarn! Unfortunately, in the color, I only bought the two skeins. I guess maybe I was knitting too loosely? I was paranoid, so i made certain it was not tight, but it looks like everyone elses on here. Maybe they were short skeins or something......

pat....who is still waiting for November 26 and will now be placing a Knit Picks order as well!

liznwillow
11-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Margie, those clogs look so great! I love the soles. I tried using puffy paint on my dd's and it didn't really help the slickness. :thinking: Are the soles difficult to sew on? And do they come in kids' sizes?

MaryS
11-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Hi Liz,

I don't know yet how hard the soles are to sew on, (mine are in the mail now), but I ordered mine from the same place as Margie, www.patternworks.com.

The soles come either lined or unlined, and are sized by the number of inches of the sole. They come in grey and brown, the brown ones are lined and the grey ones are unlined, but with the double soles on the clogs already, I'm not sure you'd need any extra padding. Margie did say she got an "air pocket" between the sole and the clog sole when she first tried to sew them on, and did add some extra fiberfill lining to the sole to make up for this. I ordered grey unlined soles for DS clogs which are black and grey, so I'll probably be doing this too.

I think a tapestry needle will work well to sew the soles on, and I'm going to use a single strand of WOTA to do the seam.

Hope this helps!

Mary

margie
11-16-2005, 03:45 PM
The soles were not hard to sew on- a little time-consuming, but not difficult. I found that I did not have the problem with the air pocket between the suede and the wool on my grandmother's clogs. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that my BIL's clogs were size 13- I was trying not to felt them down too much, since I wanted to make sure they were big enough. My grandmother's are from different yarn (lamb's pride) and were felted longer.

I used flexible fabric glue on one of the pairs of kids clogs that I made, and I didn't think it made much of a difference.

margie
11-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Here's a pair for a friend of mine for Christmas. I'm not going to felt hers before I give them to her, 'cause I'm not exactly sure what size she wears. We exchange gifts when we bake Christmas cookies together, so I'll just felt them while we are baking! The picture doesn't show the color very well- the soles and cuffs are purple, and the upper is purples/greens varigated.

Angelia
11-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Oooh...love those colors! I do wish I could see the varigated bit, though!

Jazzmatazz
11-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Those colors are GORGEOUS!

Lucy Fan
11-17-2005, 01:05 AM
I'm on one of the row in the mid 20 range...can't remember which one. So far so good. I wish that I had more time to knit though...stupid work. LOL

foothills
11-17-2005, 09:16 AM
I have been slowwwly and carefully working on Dawson's clogs while trying to gather things for our Thanksgiving travel "home"...here's a funny...my DDIL asked Dawson if he wanted Grandma to put lights in his new slippers (so they would light up when he takes a step) and he said "UH-HUH" with emphasis on the HUH....IF HE ONLY KNEW....they may have the light shining all through them by the time I'm finished :roflhard:

Joyce

Ingrid
11-17-2005, 10:05 PM
All in all they didn't take an actual amount of knitting time, but were abandonded for part of a sweater and the rest of a large shawl. I picked them pack up last night--just had to finish the second sole of the second clog and attach it. These felted up nicer than my first pair.

I made them with Cascade 220.

KellyK
11-17-2005, 10:09 PM
I wish I would've chosed those colors for my Notre-Dame loving Director of Development!! they look GREAT!

Ingrid
11-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks, Kelly! I'm really pleased with how firm they turned out. I'll be proud to give these to my sister.

Jeep_Girl
11-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Ingrid - great clogs! University of Pgh colors !!! :happydance:

jodstr2
11-17-2005, 10:27 PM
oooh :heart: pretty, Ingy!

I'm finishing clog # 10 tonight.

Ingrid
11-17-2005, 10:31 PM
10!!

At the end of the year, we should really try to figure out how many clogs were knit on this knit along!

margie
11-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Beautiful, Ingrid!! I'm sure your sister will love them!! :thumbsup:

I just started a pair for my sister tonight!

Angelia
11-17-2005, 11:24 PM
:inlove: :inlove:

Ooooh, Ingrid, those are gorgeous! The colors show so well!

jodstr2
11-17-2005, 11:43 PM
10!!

At the end of the year, we should really try to figure out how many clogs were knit on this knit along!

10 ain't nuthin!

KK is probably up to 563 :shock: !

Ingrid
11-18-2005, 12:57 AM
10!!

10 ain't nuthin!

KK is probably up to 563 :shock: !

But I thought that was because Kelley was insane! :thinking: :roflhard:

KellyK
11-18-2005, 01:00 AM
OH Fer CRYIN OUT LOUD :rollseyes: Ive only made 10 pair! Ive got 7 to go for Christmas.

Ingrid
11-18-2005, 01:09 AM
Like I said. . . . . :roflhard:

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 01:41 AM
First of all, Ingrid: I love the colors ... beautiful!

Secondly, Kelly: I thought you were knitting *fifteen* pairs, not SEVENTEEN. Yes, you are insane.

KellyK
11-18-2005, 01:45 AM
Four of those Ive made before for birthdays. I meant Ive only knit 10 EVER. Im no nuttier than anyone else here! That's my story & Im sticking to it!!

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Im no nuttier than anyone else here! That's my story & Im sticking to it!!

Yeah, you ARE!

{said like that guy on the commerical for something 'er other where the snake is chasing the gopher around in their natural habitat -- please tell me I'm not the only one who's seen this commercial.}

mshelton
11-18-2005, 11:09 AM
I like the way your clogs came out ingrid. Do you felt in warm vs hot water? I was just wondering because when I felted a blue/yellow pair, they came out lime green and blue (but they had more blue then yellow and was WOTA). I even brought one of those washer's cloths to absorb colors on my last pair but the grey ended up with a hint of the other color of green. I'm about to start of my tenth pair. I have a two or three more of women's sizes to do and then a couple of children. I just have to take breaks between the pairs of clogs with other projects or boredom (no emoticon boredom?)

Ingrid
11-18-2005, 11:14 AM
I felted in the hottest water I could get. I even filled the washer and drained it so the water coming in wouldn't include the stuff standing in the pipes. They took three go arounds of about 12 minutes each. I kept forgetting about them and having to run in before they started to rinse.

There is a greenish appearance overall--much more than pre-felting, but I can live with that. But I think the greenness is a result of where the yellow and blue fibers felted together. The yarn itself didn't run at all. The inner sole is yellow and stayed that way.

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Ingrid ... How much of each color did you use? I want to make myself a pair, and I really like the look of the two colors together. I also like your idea of using the yellow for the insole. You're so clever. ;)

Ingrid
11-18-2005, 11:37 AM
I wish I knew. I knew that I had plenty to cover it, so I just rolled balls and knit. Sorry! I imagine that since they take the same yardage overall, that you could get away with the same amount of yarn. ??? Especially if you make the soles different colors.

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 11:44 AM
... and leftover yarn is a GOOD thing, anway! :-)

I'll just get the same amount of each.

Ingrid
11-18-2005, 11:45 AM

If leftover yarn is good, then things sure are GREAT around here!!

margie
11-18-2005, 11:58 AM

If leftover yarn is good, then things sure are GREAT around here!!

I came home last night with some moda dea "sassy stripes" yarn- my husband said (half jokingly) "You can't buy any more yarn until you use up all that yarn over there!" I explained to him that leftover yarn does not count towards my stash!!

Angelia
11-18-2005, 12:11 PM
I explained to him that leftover yarn does not count towards my stash!!

Your dh and mine must share brainwaves or something...MEN.

Lucy Fan
11-19-2005, 06:37 PM
I need some advice, I screwed up big time and now I don't know what to do. I misread the cuff and the joining of the soles part. Where it said to knit the two needles together, I for some stupid reason in my brain saw knit one needle and then knit the other. I thought that the cuff looked a little strange, but it came out alright and then I did the two soles together and didn't realize my mistake until I was working on the bumper and realized that I had way too many stitches on the needle. I panicked and then started crying and tearing the whole thing apart. I wound up throwing the clog halfway across the room and crying into my hands. :oops: I'm trying to calm down now and salavage what I have. I'll have to reknit the second sole, but the first sole looks okay. I'm pretty sure if I reknit the second sole I can reattatch it to the first sole with no problems. My concern is the cuff. Should I try to undo the cast off and go back to fix it, or should I just leave it be? I can't believe I did this. :crying: What a mess.

Ingrid
11-19-2005, 06:40 PM
First of all, you're talking about a clog here. A slipper. It's certainly not worth crying over! Deep breaths!!!!

You could probably redo the cuff if you don't like the way it looks, or do the second clog like the first so they match. If it looks ok, I'd leave it.

Lucy Fan
11-19-2005, 06:47 PM
First of all, you're talking about a clog here. A slipper. It's certainly not worth crying over! Deep breaths!!!!

You could probably redo the cuff if you don't like the way it looks, or do the second clog like the first so they match. If it looks ok, I'd leave it.

Oh, I know a slipper isn't worth crying over...it was my time that I was crying over. All of that work and I was frantically pulling and ripping at it. I overreacted...just a bit... :doh:

I think I'm going to put it away for the night and take a break. When I'm ready to come back to it, I'll decide what I want to do. I can't see frogging the whole piece over the cuff...ya know.

Ingrid
11-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Yes, I do. Hang in there. ;) :heart:

Lucy Fan
11-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Yes, I do. Hang in there. ;) :heart:

Thanks Ingrid. :D

margie
11-19-2005, 08:52 PM
I ripped out a clog yesterday- I messed up somewhere, and was trying to "push" my way through, by doing a k2tog here and there to get the right number of stitches on the needle. I got all the way to the cuff, and couldn't decide whether to do the cuff or not- the upper of the clog looked okay- I could see where I had made the mistakes, and I'm sure it wouldn't have shown once it was felted, but I decided to rip it out and start again. As much as I hated to, I will feel better about it knowing it is right.
You'll get it- as frustrating as it is!! Hang in there!! :D

DotMom61
11-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Oh, L.F., hang in there! I am the *queen* of ripping stuff out -- hence the name of my blog thread here: "Dotmom's Lilypad."

I spent a whole day a couple of months ago ripping out some early projects that I didn't want to finish or that didn't turn out right.

My guess is that when you get started back on it, you'll be so much better at what you're doing that you'll wonder why you had trouble in the first place. It's all a learning experience. Consider it a lesson learned and move on!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!! :happydance:

mshelton
11-20-2005, 12:26 PM
I just ripped out the same 4 beginning rows three times on a poncho I'm making. It's frustrating but I was making stupid mistakes because I was too tired to be trying to knit a new pattern. But I will say that anytime I come up with the wrong number of stitches (99% of the time anyway), I'm going to rip until I get it right. For me, ripping out has been a great way for me to learn. I think I ripped the first clog about 5 times as I would rip and lose my place and rip more to try to find out where I was in the pattern. It did teach me to recognize the stitiches and now I can quickly figure out what I did wrong and how far to rip out. I'm trying to make myself stop knitting when I get too tired as I always end up ripping out whatever I knitted. :frog: But that finished project :cheering:

Angelia
11-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Ribbit here, too.

I've been :frog: :frog: the same sock for the last two days. It doesn't help that I skipped an entire line of the pattern once....then lost count in a row because I was watching football...then lost count because I am a spaz. All of the other :frog: were for mistakes that occured for unidentifiable reasons...

*sigh*

KellyK
11-20-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm going to rip until I get it right. For me, ripping out has been a great way for me to learn.

THAT is the KEY!! Ripping and unknitting are GREAT ways to REALLY learn stitch anatomy!