PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Trends Clogs - The ULTIMATE RESOURCE

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

leapinfrog
11-20-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't think I'm getting this ( please excuse me for repeating this if it's already been covered)...I finished felting my first pair which has a bumper, but for some reason, I can't see the bumper. The directions say to "place the outer sole over outside of slipper sole', so wouldn't that mean the bumper row ends up between the inner and outer soles?
Also, for the directions for finishing, it says "sew seam of outer sole"... isn't this the seam down the middle? Then it says to tack the two soles together. Weren't they already tacked together when I joined the soles for the bumper? :?? I don't think I'm doing this right :(

Ingrid
11-20-2005, 09:00 PM
The bumper comes in when you knit that extra row when you attach the outer seam. It's just a small kind of flap on mine.

The seam in the soles is the one you have to sew down the middle.

Then you have to stitch the inner and outer soles together a bit on the foot part so they'll felt together.

Danielle
11-21-2005, 05:18 PM
I bought some puffy paint yesterday at Michael's. I plan on using it for the bottom of the clogs. I tested it on a rag last night. After it dries, you use an iron and lightly steam it paint side down. Do you all think that the puffy paint will work on the clogs? Will steaming the wool make them felt more? Has anyone done this before?

jcmom
11-22-2005, 12:56 PM
I think you HAVE to make more than one pair of clogs just to make up for the frustration you went through on the first pair. Once you get the hang of the pattern, it's worth it. It is hard to get a mental pic. of what your end product is though until you actually see it. There are pics. that others have posted that are helpful.

Julie
11-22-2005, 08:52 PM
SOS!!!!!

I just ran out of WOTA...so I need just a bit of my color to make it to the end, or I have to place a $30 knitpicks order!!

Does anyone have a partial skein of WOTA in Grass??? I'll PayPal you for it!!

(I'll post on the buy/sell/swap forum too, but I thought I'd have the most luck amongst the Clog People.) :mrgreen:

Jeep_Girl
11-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Oh Julie - the same thing happened to me - I was really upset that mine didn't have the same yardage- I'm sorry I don't have any grass

Ingrid
11-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Oh Julie - the same thing happened to me - I was really upset that mine didn't have the same yardage- I'm sorry I don't have any grass

Yeah, sure! That's what they all say! Besides, this is not the forum to be looking for that kind of stuff. :roflhard:

Angelia
11-22-2005, 11:47 PM

Yeah, sure! That's what they all say! Besides, this is not the forum to be looking for that kind of stuff. :roflhard:

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Ingrid, you are ON this evening...or are you ON something this evening??

KellyK
11-23-2005, 01:10 AM
I just ran out of WOTA...so I need just a bit of my color to make it to the end, or I have to place a $30 knitpicks order!!

Does anyone have a partial skein of WOTA in Grass??? I'll PayPal you for it!!

Ive got some, Jul....AND Im within picking-it-up distance!! :cheering: I answered you in the BSS forum, too.

Jeep_Girl
11-23-2005, 09:29 AM

:roflhard: :roflhard: I ran out - but I KNEW Kelly would have a bigger statsh of grass that I would.....

Angelia
11-23-2005, 09:40 AM

:roflhard: :roflhard: I ran out - but I KNEW Kelly would have a bigger statsh of grass that I would.....

It explains a lot, doesn't it?!

KellyK
11-23-2005, 09:52 AM
DUUUUHHUUUUUHUUUUUUDE!!!! 8-)

:roflhard:

Angelia
11-23-2005, 09:56 AM

:roflhard: :roflhard: Kelly! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Jeep_Girl
11-23-2005, 10:26 AM

I mean - just look at that avatar?!

Ingrid
11-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Explains a lot, huh! :roflhard:

Edit--great minds think alike!! :roflhard:

Ingrid
11-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Back to clogs--ahem--I pulled out the ones I made for my daughter and decided they were too lumpy and really should be felted more. However, this morning my feet were cold and I slipped them on. Boy, are they comfy! I don't like having hot feet, but these are just right, and the bottom in cushy. I have wood floors and ceramic in the kitchen and I don't find them slippery at all. (Except when I choose to sliiiiiide those last few feet! Wheeeee!) They're still bit big and floppy, but they're mine, now. Maybe I'll make her a better pair.

KellyK
11-23-2005, 12:15 PM
And, you were all like "IM NOT A SLIPPER PERRRRSONNNNNN!!" :P

They really ARE comfy! And they are nice and toasty warm without getting SWEATY..EW.

I cant wait to make ME a pair in Lambs Pride....MMMM MMM!

Ingrid
11-23-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm definitely a convert, now! ;)

margie
11-23-2005, 06:26 PM
I missed most of today online due to Thanksgiving prep- it's amazing what goes on here when you're not looking!! :roflhard:

Ingrid- I'm glad you decided to keep those clogs for yourself. Aren't they so comfy? I wear mine almost constantly. I have to remember to hide them tomorrow when my sister comes over- don't want her finding out about her Christmas present!!

Ingrid
11-23-2005, 06:27 PM
I have not taken these things off all day! I even went down to the mailbox with them. Not too comfy on the gravel driveway, but my feet stayed warm in the 30 degree weather!

Jeep_Girl
11-24-2005, 11:26 AM
I finished my clogs!!! I just took them out of the washer and set them up to dry - I was afraid to leave them in too long but I think they'll be fine! I took before pics but my camera ran out of batteries. Once I get the after pics I'll post them all! I'm so excited! They are cuter in person!!!

Angelia
11-24-2005, 12:26 PM
I finished my clogs!!! I just took them out of the washer and set them up to dry - I was afraid to leave them in too long but I think they'll be fine! I took before pics but my camera ran out of batteries. Once I get the after pics I'll post them all! I'm so excited! They are cuter in person!!!

:cheering: :cheering:

Yay!!!

I cannot wait to see them!!

margie
11-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Here are some clogs I've finished lately- my sister's are for Christmas, and then the little ones are the ones that I am selling to someone. They are almost indentical to ones that I made for one of the babies I watch. I used WOTA (winter night) and cascade for the little ones, and Lamb's Pride for my sisters.

Ingrid
11-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Beautiful, as always. I just love the little ones--so cute.

Ryan came in while I was looking at them and got all excited because my slippers were on the computer!

KellyK
11-25-2005, 01:30 PM
OOH! How do the lambs pride ones FEEEEL? I think I have decided that I want to make myself some after Xmas....Hildie showed me her lambs pride wine tote....it was SO thick & DECADENT!

Angelia
11-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Those are beautiful, Margie! :heart: :heart:

I'd love to try Lamb's Pride; I really like the way it looks!

Of course I'm still WOTA-less and in desperation have begun to wonder about the feltablity of cat hair...Got tons of that.

margie
11-25-2005, 04:31 PM
OOH! How do the lambs pride ones FEEEEL? I think I have decided that I want to make myself some after Xmas....Hildie showed me her lambs pride wine tote....it was SO thick & DECADENT!

Kelly, they feel really nice- fuzzy and thick. I plan on making myself some with the lamb's pride after Christmas too!!

Indygirl
11-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Here are some clogs I've finished lately- my sister's are for Christmas, and then the little ones are the ones that I am selling to someone. They are almost indentical to ones that I made for one of the babies I watch. I used WOTA (winter night) and cascade for the little ones, and Lamb's Pride for my sisters.

Now I know I want to get started on clogs. I love those. You did an great job :cheering: After spending two days on here(cause I been too sick to be around people) :( I have many projects to get busy with. I'm ashamed to say what all I already have on needles now.
Happy knitting :happydance: [/code]

Indygirl
11-25-2005, 05:10 PM
I need some advice, I screwed up big time and now I don't know what to do. I misread the cuff and the joining of the soles part. Where it said to knit the two needles together, I for some stupid reason in my brain saw knit one needle and then knit the other. I thought that the cuff looked a little strange, but it came out alright and then I did the two soles together and didn't realize my mistake until I was working on the bumper and realized that I had way too many stitches on the needle. I panicked and then started crying and tearing the whole thing apart. I wound up throwing the clog halfway across the room and crying into my hands. :oops: I'm trying to calm down now and salavage what I have. I'll have to reknit the second sole, but the first sole looks okay. I'm pretty sure if I reknit the second sole I can reattatch it to the first sole with no problems. My concern is the cuff. Should I try to undo the cast off and go back to fix it, or should I just leave it be? I can't believe I did this. :crying: What a mess. DO NOT FEEL ALL ALONE when you do something like this. We are all in this together ;) ;) I should know. :rollseyes:

Jeep_Girl
11-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Here are a few pictures of my clogs

These are pre-felt
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Jeep99_Girl/Knitted%20Things/IM000881.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Jeep99_Girl/Knitted%20Things/IM000879.jpg

Post-Felt
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Jeep99_Girl/Knitted%20Things/IM000884.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Jeep99_Girl/Knitted%20Things/IM000886.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Jeep99_Girl/Knitted%20Things/IM000887.jpg

Indygirl
11-25-2005, 06:56 PM
those are great. Did I see doggie paws in one picture? :lol: I can't wait to get out and get my stuff to make my first clogs :happydance:

Jeep_Girl
11-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Yep - Those are Cricket paws! After I took the picture - I had to laugh! It was like he was doing the same thing I was!

You'll love the clogs - I'm a newbie so I can relate to everyone who is/was having trouble - my advice is to take it slow and really read & follow the pattern - putting a piece of paper under each row you are doing helps A LOT!

I also asked a ton of questions. Kelly constantly reminded me to follow the pattern - which of course was the right thing to do

margie
11-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Lisa, those look GREAT!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Angelia
11-25-2005, 08:29 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Wow, Lisa!!! Those look fantabulous!! :heart: :heart:

Fantastic work, buddy!!

KellyK
11-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Lisa...they're PERFECT!!!!!

Racerkatie
11-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Those are terriffic clogs .... We saw felted clogs at the YS we visited today and I do believe my husband went "hmm, wouldn't those be nice!"

Andrea
11-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Those are beautiful, Margie! :heart: :heart:

I'd love to try Lamb's Pride; I really like the way it looks!

Of course I'm still WOTA-less and in desperation have begun to wonder about the feltablity of cat hair...Got tons of that.

I can't wait til you get your WOTA!!

Andrea
11-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Yep - Those are Cricket paws! After I took the picture - I had to laugh! It was like he was doing the same thing I was!

It does!!!! Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!! :cheering:

Ingrid
11-25-2005, 11:50 PM

It does!!!! Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!! :cheering:

He wants a little pair of doggie-cloggies of his own!!

foothills
11-26-2005, 02:08 PM
I finished one of Dawson's clogs with the exception of tacking the 2 soles together...do I do this from the inside or outside of the clog and with one strand or two? I had almost finished the second clog and since I was staying at my Mother's house all of last week, my SIL walked in and started talking..therefore, I lost my place and ended up frogging the second one...since I just returned late yesterday, I haven't restarted it yet...plan to do that tonight!!

BTW...EVERYONE'S CLOGS ARE LOVELY ;)

Joyce

Ingrid
11-26-2005, 02:28 PM
I only used one strand to tack the soles together. On the pair that has the same color soles I just went through both, up and down. On the ones with different color soles, I used the outer sole color and just went through and grabbed part of the inner sole so the different yarn wouldn't show through.

With the felting, though, I don't think it really matters.

kitkat
11-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Question for you felted cloggers - about how long do these take? (ie the first pair, not the 20th pair, KELLY!)

Julie
11-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Kid or adult clogs?

KellyK
11-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Why's everybody always pickin on me??? :roflhard:

I cast on my Director of Development's Notre Dame clogs (Winter Night & Daffodil) today.....Im about to BO the first one's cuff.

kitkat
11-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Adults - my kids will wear adult sizes (dagnabbit!)

margie
11-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Kitkat, If I get a few good days of solid knitting time, I can finish a pair of clogs in in a few days. It all depends on what else is going on . Sometimes it might take a week or so............although the first pair I did took longer, I'm sure!

jodstr2
11-26-2005, 04:36 PM
:cheering: great job, Lisa :cheering: !!!

2 more Christmas pairs to go, and I hope to finish one this weekend.

I should've felted them as I finished them. I hope to mail them all on Fri the 2nd. maybe I need to felt today, too.

Julie
11-26-2005, 05:46 PM
aaaaahhh...I've only made kids' clogs, and let me tell you, they are sooo fast. If I'm not interrupted too much I can finish a pair in about 4 hours now. :thumbsup:

Angelia
11-26-2005, 06:07 PM
aaaaahhh...I've only made kids' clogs, and let me tell you, they are sooo fast. If I'm not interrupted too much I can finish a pair in about 4 hours now. :thumbsup:

:shock:

Julie
11-26-2005, 08:04 PM
They're very wee!! The sole only has 4 rows!

Angelia
11-26-2005, 08:19 PM

Maybe I should make some just so I'll get that great sense of having actually completed a knitting project. I've forgotten what that's like! :D

Indygirl
11-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Well I have found three new pairs of needles :cheering: . I was looking through my stash and found a scarf 1/4th done, I finished that :D I found two socks that do not match they both had a mate about 1/2 done. I finished those. I'm soooooooooo happy with myself. I have finished projects and needles I forgot I had. :happydance:
I have to go back to work on Mon. so I guess I need to spend a little time on my house but it's been so nice in the craft room the last 4 days. :XX:

Andrea
11-26-2005, 10:57 PM

Maybe I should make some just so I'll get that great sense of having actually completed a knitting project. I've forgotten what that's like! :D

You need yarn first!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Ingrid
11-26-2005, 11:04 PM

Karma is going to get you, young lady!! Watch out!!! :rofling:

Angelia
11-26-2005, 11:12 PM

I knew the moment I posted that it was fodder for you, Andrea :D

And Ingrid's right: karma will get you!!

Andrea
11-26-2005, 11:20 PM
I know, but it's just too easy to pass up!!! ;)
Shall my yarn get into a tangled mess, I will know why :D

Angelia
11-27-2005, 08:11 AM
I know, but it's just too easy to pass up!!! ;)
Shall my yarn get into a tangled mess, I will know why :D

May your clogs not felt...just like mine! Muaaahahaha!

kitkat
11-27-2005, 11:32 AM
My biggest issue is when I do them, I have to do two. Not one. I don't dare have them for one boy and not the other! Teenagers get cranky too!

foothills
11-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Ok...I'm confused :?? (so what else is new?) :roflhard:

I've almost finished the 2nd clog without even being short ONE stitch (that is the GOOD NEWS)...since I have frogged them so many times I've lost count :lol:

Now, the directions for finishing them...I done everything to the clog with the exception of the seams...do I sew the center of the bottom of the clog the same as I did for the inner sole AND WHERE DO I DO THE TACKING because the instructions say to work down center of sole to tack the 2 soles together...HELP!!!

Thanks-Joyce

Ingrid
11-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Sew the center of the seam like you did the first. Then just run a yarn between the two to hold them together, so they'll felt together. Nothing fancy. I just ran big stitches up and down through the soles.

foothills
11-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Do I run the yarn through the center seam AFTER I sew the center or BEFORE? I think what is confusing me is looking at the sewn on suade soles such as Margie did on a pair or two of hers...it looks like there is a vertical stitch sewing the "bumper" to the top of the sole.

Ingrid
11-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Now I'm confused.

Are you putting on a suede bottom?

I didn't do that. I made the second sole, knitted it on, sewed the seam in the middle closed, and then tacked them together. I don't know about the added-on leather/suede soles. I imagine you sew them along the bumper.

foothills
11-27-2005, 08:48 PM
This photo may be too dark, but I do NOT run the vertical stitch where my finger is located to sew the bottom sole to the top, right?

foothills
11-27-2005, 08:50 PM
No...I'm sorry to confuse you Ingrid...I have done the two soles...if I sew up the center seam on the outer sole, I'm trying to figure out how to tack them together after the seam is already sewn down the center because the pattern tells me to work down the center of the seam to tack them together.

Ingrid
11-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Right. That's already connected. Just give the two soles a running stitch around the foot part between the outer edge and ceter of the sole to connect them a bit. They'll felt together.

foothills
11-27-2005, 08:56 PM
I think I have it...so actually, you seam up the center of the bottom of the clog and that's it as far as the bottom. Then, tack around what I call the edges where the blue meets the gray with a strand of yarn using a vertical stitch through the top and bottom.

Julie
11-27-2005, 09:04 PM
From what it looks like to me, in the photo you're holding the bumper. You don't need to stitch that to anything! It's supposed to stick out!

Personally, I just stitch loosely down the center of the sole to tack them together.

foothills
11-27-2005, 09:06 PM
While I'm stitching down the center of the bottom, can I just pick up a thread from the other sole at the same time?

margie
11-27-2005, 10:10 PM
Joyce, all you are doing is sewing the 1st sole and the 2nd sole together, down the center of the sole- all I do is a loose backstitch, from the toe to the heel. Right through both soles. Sorry that my other ones were confusing- the suede soles are totally different from the regular ones.

foothills
11-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks Margie, Julie and Ingrid....as long as they end up with the appearance of clogs, I really don't care anymore :roflhard: :roflhard:

They are quite challenging ;)

Indygirl
11-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Well knitters, I thought I'd get busy on some clogs, but after spending the day with the Cabled Beret Hat pattern :frog: I don't feel it would be good for my sanity to start those just yet :roflhard:
I had this thing started two years ago, put it away, tried it last winter, put it away, got it out and I almost burned the pattern today :doh:
No one said life woould be easy :lol:

KellyK
11-28-2005, 12:44 AM
From the sound of that hat, maybe cloggies would SAVE your sanity! :roflhard:

I finished my friend's "Notre Dame" cloggies tonight....I ran out of daffodil when I was about 15 sts away from completing the BO of the 2nd cuff! :doh: So, a few of those sts had to be done in winter night. I dont think he'll care....he's a "big picture" thinker. :lol:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/ft_clogs_for_kevin.jpg

volmel
11-28-2005, 12:50 AM
I have knit several of these clogs and I'm doing something wrong. When I attach the outer sole I'm attaching it in the wrong place because mine look "lower down" than others on here. I'm attaching it to the end loops of the inner sole. The directions said to pick up the top loops of the last ridge of garter st. There doesn't seem to be a little upside down "u" that sticks out. Are you supposed to dig it out? Is it visible when looking at the knitting or more inside? Also do you attach it to the row of stitches right beside the inner sole, or do you attach it to the top of those few rows of garter st? Sorry to sound so dense, I'm just really confused.

Mine don't look terrible, just not as finished and sharp as everyone elses. I'm still giving them as presents. I just want to make the next ones better.

Thanks in advance,

Melissa

volmel
11-28-2005, 12:59 AM
Also, I wanted to share the way I've found to felt using a front loading washer. Mine have all turned out just right. I have a Maytag Neptune front loader. It is possible to open them after they've locked, you just have to turn it off then wait a few minutes for it to unlock, then you can check it.

I've found that 15 minutes in a front loader is equal to about one minute in a top loader. So I start it in the hottest water, along with a pair of jeans and a big towel, and set a timer for 15 minutes. When the timer goes off I move the dial back to the beginning of the cycle and set a timer for 15 more minutes and so on. I do this 5 times, which is equal to 5 minutes in a top loader. Then I turn it off, let it sit to unlock and check the clogs. I never let it go through the spin cycle. When I get it the right size I remove it and then just let the cycle run out.

It takes much much longer than a top loading machine, but if you don't want to go to the laundry mat or a relative's house, it is doable.

Julie
11-28-2005, 01:46 AM
Kelly...I had to laugh when I read your post because that's the exact place I ran out of Grass...with about 8 stitches to bind off the second sole. (Of course I still had to join the 2nd soles & knit bumpers too...) I wanted to get it off the needles so I used Andean Silk in Olive to finish it...not even close to the same color. :roflhard: But you know, felting really does cover a multitude of mishaps!!

Angelia
11-28-2005, 06:52 AM
Love the ND clogs, Kelly! I can't wait to see them felted!

This is not a dig on you Kelly, just my musing: Am I alone in thinking there should be some green in those?...I know what ND's colors are--blue and gold--but crikey, they're the Fighting Irish! :D

KellyK
11-28-2005, 08:08 AM
I wouldnt think that's a dig on me......I am no where NEAR old enough to have chosen NDs colors! :roflhard:

I was actually thinkin the same thing.....I actually checked their website to make SURE there was no green!

metalsgirl
11-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Has anyone attempted to do a vertical stripe on the upper part of the FT clogs? When I did the men's medium clogs, I noticed that the pattern naturally left a nice vertical row of three stitches inside any increases in the pattern (if that makes sense) for the upper part of the clog. I'm now doing a men's large, and I'm wondering how I figure out where these stitches are (and maybe someone who has knit the men's large before could tell me if I get the same pattern with the vertical row of three stitches or if it is more stitches)....I've done the obvious, which was to knit the first row of the upper in the new color but knit the center three stitches in the stripe color, but when the short rowing begins, I can't make it line up. This is the first project that I've done with short rowing... Any ideas? :thinking: :thinking:

foothills
11-28-2005, 05:22 PM
PRAISE THE LORD...I THINK I'VE FINISHED :happydance: with the exception of felting....

Before I waste alot of water, do these look normal? :roflhard:

Joyce

Julie
11-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Yes, they look just right! :cheering:

Ingrid
11-28-2005, 05:41 PM
As "normal" as monster feet can look, anyway! :rofling:

Metalsgirl--I think a stripe would look cool, too. Kind of a racing stripe as you sliiiiiide across the kitchen. ;) I think, though, that you would really have to just experiment. The thought of doing the math on that makes me want to cry.

MaryS
11-28-2005, 05:58 PM
metalsgirl,

I've done 3 pair of mens large, and there is the three stitch "center" on them as well. I think if I were trying to put a "racing stripe" on them I'd mark the center stitch, then do that center stitch and the stitch just left and right of it in the stripe color. I haven't tried this though. One possible problem that might come up is that a lot of the M1 are on either side of the center stitch. I'm not quite sure how that would work out. It'd be fun to try though - lots of new possibilities!!

Happy improvising!! :XX: :XX:

Aren't we a creative bunch!! :thumbsup:

Mary

foothills
11-28-2005, 06:23 PM
:rofling: I'd have to paint the stripes on these things...there's no way I would attempt to get too creative on them having frogged the first pair a multitude of times :lol: I hope they fit Dawson after I felt them!!

Joyce

margie
11-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Joyce, Dawson's clogs look GREAT!!!!! :cheering:

volmel
11-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Kelly and Joyce, both your clogs look great. I can't wait to see them felted.

I made one clog as an experiment not using the bumper. Just binding off as I join with the 3 needles. You know, I think I like it better. For some reason on mine that bumper looks wonky.

Melissa

metalsgirl
11-29-2005, 09:48 AM
exactly like a racing stripe! good to know that the three stitch pattern actually exists on the men's large... mary s - what you are suggesting is what i've tried, but with no luck yet - the m1 stitches keep messing me up - i'll let you all know if i come up with it.

i WAS a math major, and this still makes me want to cry :D i just keep thinking that it would look so perfect on my boyfriend's manly size 13 clogs!

DotMom61
11-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Oh, my, it really is tough to get caught up on this thread when one doesn't pay attention.

You guys are doing *fantastic* work on your clogs, especially those of you who are newbies!!! I can't wait to get past all these bags I'm making so I can make some more clogs!!

Keep clogging away, ya'll. I love seeing all the different color combinations!

foothills
11-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Finally felted Dawson's clogs...they are now drying...now, that was an felting undertaking like none I've done before ;) The task was trying to make sure they were sized according to his feet and with him being almost 3 hours away, putting them on his feet is impossible right now and his feet just DO NOT appear to be a size 8 to me!! After I removed them from the felting process for the umpteenth time, I decided to put them back in and they did shrink a little more :cheering:

I checked them after the first 5 minutes and the cuff on one had unraveled a bit, so I repaired it and threw them back in...can barely tell that they had surgery :roflhard:

These clogs WOULD NOT exist without the help of Ingrid, KK, Margie, and Julie and probably others that I may have failed to mention, so THANKS to all of you for help with the easiest (they are a quick knit unless you must frog a multitude of times), most challenging project I have completed to date!!!

One question, will the rug backing I bought awhile back be ok for the bottoms, or should I buy some of the flexible glue? My concern is that Dawson would slip (if he can wear these clogs ;) ) on their hardwood floors because he doesn't "walk" very much...he's into running....and I wouldn't want whatever I put on the bottom of them to ruin their new floors.

Joyce

margie
11-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Joyce, they look FANTASTIC!!! Great job!! :cheering: :cheering:

I hadn't thought of using rug backing- I don't see why it wouldn't work. I did try the flexible fabric glue on one of my pairs- it didn't seem as though it made a lot of difference, but I only put on one coat. I've been meaning to try it again with another pair- I gave away the other ones.

foothills
11-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks Margie...I do see flaws in person, but even store bought shoes have flaws and Grandma didn't knit them!!!! I read about using rug backing someplace online, but have no idea of the end result and sure would hate to ruin these clogs!!

I ordered the 2 piece soles from Elann and they haven't come in yet...I didn't think I'd be able to use them on this particular pair, but perhaps some that I make once he outgrows these. Aren't they for use if you don't knit the outer sole?

margie
11-29-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure, but I think that you would use the 2 piece sole the same way that I used the one piece. You would still make the 2nd sole, but attach it without a bumper. The 2 piece soles would make it easier to fit than the one piece- I had to be really careful that I didn't felt mine too small or I wouldn't have been able to use the suede.

Angelia
11-29-2005, 03:06 PM
I am pleased to report that my WOTA arrived today, day 9 after the re-ship. I almost hugged the mailman. (Oh, he did look suspiciously like Newman...)

Anyway: :cheering: WOO HOO!!! :cheering:

Of course I cannot begin the clogs for a bit, but that's okay: now the delay is entirely MY doing!!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Andrea, you'll have to find something else to make fun of me for. I'm sure there's something... :rofling:

margie
11-29-2005, 03:33 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Andrea
11-29-2005, 03:37 PM
I am pleased to report that my WOTA arrived today, day 9 after the re-ship. I almost hugged the mailman. (Oh, he did look suspiciously like Newman...)

Anyway: :cheering: WOO HOO!!! :cheering:

Of course I cannot begin the clogs for a bit, but that's okay: now the delay is entirely MY doing!!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Andrea, you'll have to find something else to make fun of me for. I'm sure there's something... :rofling:

I am soooooooooo happy!!! Why delay with clogs???!!!! I'm going to LYS in a few minutes to get child's pattern. And I gotta get thinking about what else I can make fun of?? :??
Seriously, I am soooooooooooooooooooooo happy for you!!! :D

Angelia
11-29-2005, 03:56 PM
I am soooooooooo happy!!! Why delay with clogs???!!!! I'm going to LYS in a few minutes to get child's pattern.

I need to finish the dh's socks, and then final exams happen. :(

And I gotta get thinking about what else I can make fun of?? :??

Aw, I knew you wouldn't let me down! :thumbsup:

Seriously, I am soooooooooooooooooooooo happy for you!!! :D

Thanks, me too! Now I can submit another order...more sock yarn...more clog yarn...and some yarn for a Lucy (or three)!!

Julie
11-29-2005, 05:34 PM
New use for the clogs.... :roflhard:

Angelia
11-29-2005, 05:37 PM
New use for the clogs.... :roflhard:

OMG...that is the freakiest, scariest thing I've ever seen! :shock:

Julie
11-29-2005, 05:55 PM
It's a coooozy bed for your favorite freaky baby... :roflhard:

Ingrid
11-29-2005, 06:03 PM
The Mummy's kid! :roflhard:

Dawson's clogs look wonderful! Even if they are a bit big, you at least know that they'll fit him in the future! ;)

I didn't put anything on the bottom of mine. I'd planned to, but I don't find them slippery. But then again, I rarely run around the house and I enjoy the little sliiiiiide I can get going for those last few feet.

Angelia
11-29-2005, 06:14 PM
What happened to clog baby's arms?

Andrea
11-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Thanks, me too! Now I can submit another order...more sock yarn...more clog yarn...and some yarn for a Lucy (or three)!!

Ahhhhhhhh the Lucy! Yes, the bag from hell!! :D I still haven't felted that bag!! I'm afraid of what it'll look like. Maybe tonight I will just do it!!

I would hope that ordeal with shipping would be a rare occurance and I'm glad you are going to give them another shot :D
Now you need to put stash pic in your blog young lady!!!!

Julie
11-29-2005, 06:21 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: I'm positively CACKLING, here, in danger of waking the baby....

They're inside the clog, tucked in all nice and cozy, of course! ;)

Angelia
11-29-2005, 06:39 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: I'm positively CACKLING, here, in danger of waking the baby....

You're afraid of waking the clog baby?!

They're inside the clog, tucked in all nice and cozy, of course! ;)

If you say so... :shock:

margie
11-29-2005, 06:46 PM

Love the clog baby!!!!

KellyK
11-29-2005, 08:55 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

How will I decide?? I know so MANY "freaky babies"!! :??

Indygirl
11-29-2005, 08:57 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

How will I decide?? I know so MANY "freaky babies"!! :??

Well Lets see, we know you have two clogs so you can at least bed two down :lol: :lol:

Julie
11-30-2005, 12:24 AM
waking the clog baby :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-30-2005, 11:48 AM
I decided today that since it's nov 30 I need to start knitting FAST if i expect to finish all these damn clogs in time for christmas... and FASTER since I need to mail 3 pairs of them!!! crapola!

DotMom61
11-30-2005, 12:16 PM
I enjoy the little sliiiiiide I can get going for those last few feet.

I can just see you Ingrid ... waiting for that rare moment when everyone's out of the house, you crank up the stereo ("Take those old records off the shelf ...") ... and there you are sliding down the hall with nothin' on but an old shirt, undies and your clogs. http://static.flickr.com/6/68684453_55c18dfa55_o.gif

Andrea
11-30-2005, 12:20 PM
I enjoy the little sliiiiiide I can get going for those last few feet.

I can just see you Ingrid ... waiting for that rare moment when everyone's out of the house, you crank up the stereo ("Take those old records off the shelf ...") ... and there you are sliding down the hall with nothin' on but an old shirt, undies and your clogs. http://static.flickr.com/6/68684453_55c18dfa55_o.gif

After reading Ingrid's blog, I'm pretty sure it would be her Karaoke scarf and clogs and NOTHING ELSE :rofling:

DotMom61
11-30-2005, 12:23 PM
After reading Ingrid's blog, I'm pretty sure it would be her Karaoke scarf and clogs and NOTHING ELSE :rofling:

You're right! How could I leave out DK (Dear Karaoke!)? :shock:

kemp
11-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Well it has certainly taken forever...but I cast on last night for my 2nd pair of FT clogs. I have yarn I KNOW will felt well this time! Boring colors though, but on the upside it is all from my ever growing stash :)

margie
11-30-2005, 02:05 PM

margie
11-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Well it has certainly taken forever...but I cast on last night for my 2nd pair of FT clogs. I have yarn I KNOW will felt well this time! Boring colors though, but on the upside it is all from my ever growing stash :)

:cheering: I just made some clogs with stash yarn, too! Unfortunately, I need to make 2 pairs of pink little girl clogs, and I only had enough pink yarn for one pair. Now I have to buy more pink yarn. Oh well, another trip to the LYS........................... :happydance:

Angelia
11-30-2005, 02:55 PM
:cheering: I just made some clogs with stash yarn, too! Unfortunately, I need to make 2 pairs of pink little girl clogs, and I only had enough pink yarn for one pair. Now I have to buy more pink yarn. Oh well, another trip to the LYS........................... :happydance:

YAY!!! :cheering:

Ingrid
11-30-2005, 05:16 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

VickiIL
11-30-2005, 05:49 PM
After watching all the fabulous clogs all of you have made I finially got my but in gear and made some too! I was suprised at what a quick knit they are. The adult pair are for my brother and they are going to be given for Christmas unfelted. I can't wait for his reaction! And the little ones are for my kiddles. They picked out the colors so They know they are getting them but have been warned to act surprised on Christmas morning.

VickiIL
11-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Here they are felted. (well at least the kids).

KellyK
11-30-2005, 05:52 PM
OOH! Pretty! What colors did you use for those pinky-purple ones?

InterNette
11-30-2005, 05:53 PM
very nice colors, looks like your ready for the holidays.

VickiIL
11-30-2005, 05:56 PM
The pink ones are hush and tulip.

margie
11-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Beautiful, VickiIL!! :thumbsup:

Angelia
11-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Wow! Those look great! :cheering:

Julie
12-01-2005, 12:01 AM
I finally felted the bitty clog...this is definitely going on the Christmas tree. :D

Angelia
12-01-2005, 12:04 AM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Oh Julie, that is adorable!

That settles it. I've got to go get the wee pattern.

Ingrid
12-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Every time I see one of those I melt! :heart:

KellyK
12-01-2005, 12:21 AM
:heart: WANT TO HUG THE BITTY CLOGGGGG!!!! :heart:

VickiIL
12-01-2005, 12:31 AM
That little cloggie is soo cute! That has to be tinier than the smalles FT pattern size...How in the world did you figure out how to size down THAT pattern?

KellyK
12-01-2005, 12:34 AM
She knitted the smallest size single-stranded on sz 6 needles!

Indygirl
12-01-2005, 06:05 AM
I finally felted the bitty clog...this is definitely going on the Christmas tree. :D OMG.......Those look great. love thr color too. you did a very nice job :cheering: :cheering:

DotMom61
12-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Vicki & Julie -- All of those look FANTASTIC!! I'm going to have to try some of those little bitty ones. I know I'm going to have little bits of wool left over after I get done w/ my Booregon Bags. What cute little ornaments those would make!!

I also thought I could make some tiny little clogs for the babies whose Mom's are receiving the Booregons. At the rate I'm going, though, those kids are going to be a year and half old before I'm done!! Focus ... I must FOCUS!

margie
12-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Julie, that is the cutest clog ever!! I love it!

VickiIL
12-01-2005, 11:17 AM
She knitted the smallest size single-stranded on sz 6 needles!

Ahh so smart! I may just have to try that for fun! Maybe dolly clogs....Or as Julie a Christmas Ornament....Fun!

kemp
12-01-2005, 05:41 PM
I am on my 2nd pair of clogs (the first was a while back) and the first time I didn't do the bumpers. For those of you that have done both, can you comment on which version you like better? Thanks!

VickiIL
12-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Honestly I don't think either is better. Actually when I knit my husband's pair. I knit the first one without a bumper. And then didn't get to the other until months later and forgotten which I did. I knit the second one with the bumper. I noticed the mistake when I was checking them during felting. Now that they are finished you can only tell the difference on close inspection. You can't see the difference while he is wearing them unless you know it is there. He has NEVER noticed and I am not telling :oo: Shhhh....

KellyK
12-01-2005, 07:39 PM
I like the bumpers. They are cute.

margie
12-01-2005, 10:09 PM
I like the bumpers better- I made my BIL's clogs without the bumper, since I was adding the suede soles. I think they look more "cloggish" with the bumpers. The ones without didn't look as finished to me.

KellyK
12-01-2005, 11:00 PM
I finished Baby Bro's pair tonight....Winter Night and Mist. Im almost done with the first sole for my DBoss.

Indygirl
12-02-2005, 05:43 AM
I finished Baby Bro's pair tonight....Winter Night and Mist. Im almost done with the first sole for my DBoss. Kelly, You did a nice job on those. I'm still working on that beret hat :XX: after I get that done I'm going to start my first clogs. :cheering: I'm about 1/3rd the way done with the hat. I think I got it this time. I must have had a mental block before with that patern :blush: I'd like to see those clogs after felted too.
happy knitting

KellyK
12-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks, Indy....

Im going to have to take a pic of all these unfelted clogs when they are all done. they're gonna look funny lined up on the bed. Im giving them all unfelted so I can felt-to-fit, and also so I can get a giggle out of everyone's reaction!

silveridger
12-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Ahhhhhhhh the Lucy! Yes, the bag from hell!! :D I still haven't felted that bag!! I'm afraid of what it'll look like. Maybe tonight I will just do it!!

What happened with the Lucy? I am a fairly new knitter and didn't have any trouble... it's a neat bag, people ask me about it all the time.[/quote]

jodstr2
12-02-2005, 12:05 PM
I finally felted the bitty clog...this is definitely going on the Christmas tree. :D

ohhh :inlove: how SWEET! good job, Julie :heart: !

kemp
12-02-2005, 02:40 PM
I went ahead and did the bumper this time. Now I'll be able to compare the two to see which I like better. They're in the washer right now!

allegra918
12-02-2005, 04:55 PM
ok, so now i'm inspired to make some clogs for xmas presents. how long (average) does it take to make a pair? i have the fiber trends pattern. where do you buy the soles? any recommendations on yarn? anything from knitpicks.com? i just "found" that website, so i want to take full advantage of their great prices!!!

kemp
12-02-2005, 04:57 PM
They took me two evenings in front of the TV and about an additional 3 hrs today. Hopefully someone (KELLY) who has made a ton of them kept better track of exactly how long they take.

A bunch of people here use Wool Of the Andes from Knit Picks for these.

Julie
12-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Wool of the Andes felts great :thumbsup:

You can get the soles from www.patternworks.com

Andrea
12-02-2005, 07:21 PM
DH clogs prefelted, in WOTA snickerdoodle/evergreen:

humblestumble
12-02-2005, 07:22 PM
so pretty! :shock:

KellyK
12-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Those are the same colors as the ones I made for ME! :cheering:

Ingrid
12-02-2005, 09:56 PM
They remind me of peanut butter cups! Yum! Good job.

DotMom61
12-02-2005, 09:57 PM
First of all, I'm putting this little lambie from PatternWorks on my list for Santa for Christmas:

http://static.flickr.com/20/69532847_71cbee5d5a_m.jpg

Secondly, those clogs are gorgeous! I really like the colors. I just mentioned to DH that I could make him some clogs w/ suede bottoms for Christmas. The man just does not get excited about knitting. :|

VickiIL
12-02-2005, 10:22 PM
First of all, I'm putting this little lambie from PatternWorks on my list for Santa for Christmas:

Secondly, those clogs are gorgeous! I really like the colors. I just mentioned to DH that I could make him some clogs w/ suede bottoms for Christmas. The man just does not get excited about knitting. :|

Ahhh...Cute lamby.

Julie, My DH didnt get excited about knitting. And he was super skeptical about the clogs. Now they don't come off his feet (he even pondered if he could get away with wearing them at work)and he brags about them to EVERYONE. My advice go ahead and make a pair for him and let the clogs speak for themselves! You'll have a convert too!

DotMom61
12-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks, Vicki. I may just take your advice on this one - I ought to knit some for my BIL that has been hassling me so badly about knitting as well. I have lots of pink yarn left over from my last Booregon. :roflhard:

Andrea
12-02-2005, 11:12 PM

I gotta get me one of those lambs!!!
And thanks for the compliment!! My DH was (surprisingly) very excited about his clogs!!

Andrea
12-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Well, now I have to get these too!
http://www.patternworks.com/PWShopping/IMAGES/parts/300283.JPG

http://www.patternworks.com/PWShopping/IMAGES/parts/300284.JPG

KellyK
12-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Are those PATTERNS for stuffed animals??? Or are they just the animals?

DH loves his clogs but he says he has to wear socks because they make his feet sweaty....I find that hard to believe....mine are so NOT sweaty!

Ingrid
12-03-2005, 12:18 AM

DH loves his clogs but he says he has to wear socks because they make his feet sweaty....I find that hard to believe....mine are so NOT sweaty!

But Kelly, you don't have big MAN feet! :rofling:

KellyK
12-03-2005, 12:45 AM
EW! :? And Im SO GLAD!!!

Andrea
12-03-2005, 10:59 AM

They are just stuffed animals...and they relatively cheap---between $6 and $9. Gotta get me 3! (I'm such a kid!!)

kemp
12-05-2005, 03:16 PM
I think the men's sizes are designed with wider feet in mind....they have those extra short rows.

Has anyone experimented with making the men's less wide? My DH has somewhat narrow feet for a man and he has requested that his NEXT PAIR should be narrower and with a higher back. He is size 12-13 though so it still needs to have the length.

VickiIL
12-05-2005, 06:30 PM
I made the large women's size for my dad and brother who have narrow small feet for men. I haven't felted them yet but I'm not worried about them fitting.

knitknut
12-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Hello Fellow Cloggers! I'm new to posting, but have been reading about your adventures in making the clogs for a couple of months. If someone has already asked this - sorry - I didn't see it. Has anyone made any clogs larger than men's large? I have a son and nephew that wear 14 & 15. I'm not sure I could get the math right to change the pattern up to XL. What if I used larger needles? :thinking:

Ingrid
12-05-2005, 08:21 PM
My concern with using larger needles is that it will still felt down too small. :thinking: I wonder if you tripled the yarn? I don't know how much of a difference this would make, mind you, but I do think that knitting it looser won't keep it big once you felt it, or it will be floppy if you felt it to the size you want.

KellyK
12-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Has anyone experimented with making the men's less wide? My DH has somewhat narrow feet for a man and he has requested that his NEXT PAIR should be narrower and with a higher back. He is size 12-13 though so it still needs to have the length.

Someone suggested that you make the CO row into row 1, instead of knitting that first row. I suppose you could also skip one of the knitted odd rows?

Julie
12-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Kemp, mshelton altered the pattern for width -- it's on pg 63 of this thread, if you want to see the pic...here are her instructions:
I felted my 7th pair. On this pair, I wanted size 12 and 1/2 and triple A in width. So I made adjustments and they worked out well. I will tell you the changes I made in case anyone else wants to make a narrower width for a men's large. Following the men's large size, the following were changes made in the first 4 rows of the soles.
I casted on 73 instead of 67 and used the cast on stitches as row 1. (If I had wanted AA instead of AAA in width, I would have casted on 73 stitches and then knitted row one as instructed.) Row 2--changed K29 to knit 32 and k31 to k34 ending with 81 stitches instead of 75.
I removed the short row in men's row 4, which is the main change used to narrow the sole. Here's the changes: Row 4:[k1 m1] 2 times, k32, [m1, k3] 2 times, m1, k1, m1, [k3, m1] 2 times, k32, [m1,k1] 2 times (91 stitches). Then procede as instructed in pattern.

kemp
12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks Julie! That is exactly what I need.

kemp
12-06-2005, 10:55 AM
I just ran across a suggestion for slipper bottoms here: http://www.knittingzone.com/mysocks.htm Scroll to the bottom. It's a product you can buy at Home Depot.

mshelton
12-06-2005, 12:22 PM
I just completed a couple of more pairs of clogs. I have lost count, let's see that makes 9 pairs. I think I only have a few more to do. :lol: I have learned a few things and thought that it would be nice if others also pointed out things that makes making the clogs easier.

1. On the bottom sole, I switch to 29 inch circulars on the medium and larger sizes for both men and women. It makes it easier to join with a bumper.

2. When you are doing the toe and instep shaping, you don't really have to count after row 3 as you can tell where you left off on the other side by the separation caused by when you slipped the last stitch and you always p2tog or ssk there. But on row 29, you should start counting again as you k or p 2 instead on 1 before turning. This probably doesn't make sense but maybe it will help.

Any other suggestions?

kemp
12-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Good point on 2 except there are increases in row 5 and 7 then decreases every 4 rows beginning with row 15

knitknut
12-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Ingrid. That is what I was thinking too. Good idea on the triple yarn. I'll make some swatchs and try it!

MaryS
12-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi Kemp,

I've made a higher back on most of my clogs. Here's what I did:

After the joining round, but just before the two extra rounds for the higher heel I: K5, W & T, P10, W&T, K5. This puts you back at the center of the heel to do the next two rounds, but you've added two short rows right at the back of the heel. It works GREAT! and doesn't add any extra bulk around the ankle and instep.

Happy Clogging! :XX: :XX:

Mary

margie
12-07-2005, 06:54 PM
here's the latest crop of baby clogs.........I am done with clogs for now- there are a few pairs that I'd like to make, but that will have to be with all that spare time that I seem to have misplaced............... ;)

Ingrid
12-07-2005, 07:06 PM
I love them! :inlove: What a great idea with the little girls' cuff! Any little girl will love them. I also like the way the multicolored cuff and sole look with the solid clog. You're so creative! :cheering:

KellyK
12-07-2005, 07:21 PM
They look ESPECIALLY great all lined up in a row!

InterNette
12-07-2005, 08:10 PM
they do look great all lined up, i love em and envy them. I am not going to look in this thread anymore till i figure this out.

jodstr2
12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
they do look great all lined up, i love em and envy them. I am not going to look in this thread anymore till i figure this out.

:( aw Annette. *hugs* you'll do fine! I've made SO many mistakes and I had to frog a few of mine but I just keep on going. the mistakes left in are fine, luckily felting is so forgiving ;) !

lotsakids
12-07-2005, 11:43 PM
woohoo..I just read through all 96 pages..am I a legend in my own lunchbox or what..hehe..I have the needles, the pattern is in the mail and I am right at this moment unravelling a motheaten woolen jumper that came from the op shop so I can 'rebirth' it into clogs...not sure what size yet depends on what I end up with wool wise.
You ladies have created yet another clog monster..look out...your clog influence has reached far shores..hehe..janine

ps..great work everyone...

Ingrid
12-08-2005, 12:04 AM
96 pages? Wow, you are dedicated!!

lotsakids
12-08-2005, 12:10 AM
dedicated?..mad?..is there a difference?..hehe

Ingrid
12-08-2005, 12:11 AM
I guess if you can manage with eight children, you can do just about anything!

KellyK
12-08-2005, 12:50 AM
WOW! Im impressed...although, you will now be able to tackle these clogs with NO PROBLEM, as you have now read the ULTIMATE CLOG RESOURCE!! :mrgreen:

lotsakids
12-08-2005, 04:31 AM
yep..should be able to fly through them without a second thought..i have itchy knitting fingers..but dont want to start anything else til the pattern arrives..that wont be before next week cos our postal service is a bit slow..and we live out in the sticks..BUT I know its on its way [along with a heap of others] so thats fine..I will sit on my fingers til then..janine

DotMom61
12-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Welcome, Janine!!

You're living in my #1 Place I Want to Visit in My Lifetime. What area are you in? My son has been studying the Eastern Hemisphere this year, and we've already been through Australia. (We homeschool.) It was fascinating.

We all look forward to seeing your clogs -- sounds like you're going to have a whole LOT of 'em to make!! Woo hoo!

And, Margie, those are absolutely *beautiful* ... I LOVE the fun fur on the cuffs. I'm waiting 'til I get done w/ my Booregon bags and the never-ending shawl so I can see what wool I have leftover to put into clogs. I'm definitely going to be looking @ yours for inspiration!

lotsakids
12-08-2005, 09:47 AM
hi there..well if you ever decide to visit..look me up..

we are in south australia at the top of the yorke peninsula, in a little town called moonta. This used to be a boom copper mining town when it was first discovered back in the 1860's but is now a small tourist town and since it is about 100 miles from the capital city [adelaide] it makes a good weekender for all those city folk who like to visit the beach for a few days. Our local school has a very good website

http://www.moontaas.sa.edu.au/the_area/location.htm

which will show you where we are..and if you go to the homepage there is some about the history of our area etc.

great thing about having a tribe like mine is that if a pair of clogs doesnt fit right..there is always someone with another sized foot that its bound to fit on..hehe..janine

DotMom61
12-08-2005, 09:50 AM
great thing about having a tribe like mine is that if a pair of clogs doesnt fit right..there is always someone with another sized foot that its bound to fit on..hehe..janine

Ah, Janine ... that's funny. What age range are your kids?

And thanks for the link!! I'll have DS take a look @ it!

lotsakids
12-08-2005, 09:52 AM
toby is 15, riki 13, kacy 12, robi 10, indy 7, cori 5, elly almost 3, and kodi 11 weeks..so a pretty good size range there..lol..janine

kemp
12-08-2005, 11:33 AM
love the cuffs on the pink ones. Great idea!

dana_renay
12-08-2005, 11:48 AM
I posted the pics of my clogs in FO, but I wanted to post here also to ask all you clog experts a question. In the pic below, you can see that there are lines running up the upper of the clogs vertically (like, between the stitches, not between the rows). They looked totally normal on the top before felting (I forgot to take a pre-felt pic). I used WOTA. I stopped felting when I did because they fit just right - any longer and they would have been too small.
Did anyone else's clogs have lines in them after felting? Any ideas on why this might have happened? I'm going to be making another pair and I want to avoid this if I can.

kemp
12-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I think that is just the point they are in the felting process. With more felting, that totally closes up. If you want them to be more closed next time, you'll need to felt more which might mean you'll want to make the bigger size.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-08-2005, 12:29 PM
i thnk the stripes look cool!!!!! Maybe you could sew in some contrasting thread so it's more defined, and it will look like you did it on purpose!

margie
12-08-2005, 12:35 PM
My sister just stopped by unexpectedly- she brought me a Starbucks coffee and a magazine. How sweet- except that I had clogs all over the house!! I have not shared my clog making powers with her, since she and her husband are both getting clogs for Christmas!! I thought I had done okay by taking my clogs off and throwing them in a drawer. Then I noticed my husband's clogs in the middle of the living room floor, my son's in the hallway, MY SISTER'S on the bottom stair, and all those little baby clogs are on the piano, waiting to go the the person who ordered them!!! I don't think my sis saw any of the adult ones, but she did see the baby ones and said "Did you make these? Wow, I am so impressed- you could sell these for a lot of money! All you need to do is put something on the bottom of them and they could be like the ones from LL Bean!!". I played dumb and said "Uh huh, yeah, you are right!". :rofling:

kemp
12-08-2005, 12:39 PM
that is too funny. My DH has been saying the same thing...."these are so cool...you should sell these!"

Jazzmatazz
12-09-2005, 03:45 PM
People are always telling me I could sell booga bags, or sell clogs, whatever. The only person who has ever "gotten" it is my 30 year old son. He saw my first pair of socks and said, "What do you charge for an 8-pack, $1200? Smart man, my son. :oo:

Ingrid
12-09-2005, 03:48 PM
People are always telling me I could sell booga bags, or sell clogs, whatever. The only person who has ever "gotten" it is my 30 year old son. He saw my first pair of socks and said, "What do you charge for an 8-pack, $1200? Smart man, my son. :oo:

:roflhard: Yes he is!! People assume since you are 'just knitting' that you'd be willing to work for 50 cents an hour.

KellyK
12-10-2005, 11:57 AM
I finished my DBoss' FUN cloggies last night, and sole & upper no. 1 of mom's boring snickerdoodle/mist ones, too.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/ft_clogs_for_dennis.jpg

I think I am gonna have TONS of Mist left over. I mean a whole BAG of 10 plus a few skeins. I never wanna see Mist WOTA EVER AGAIN! :doh:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-10-2005, 12:19 PM
oo i like the mist!

KellyK
12-10-2005, 12:24 PM
I should be done with cloggies SOON...wanna work out a TRADE?? :eyebrow: Do you have any green or purple or blue Lambs Pride that you are sick of?? :pray: 4 skeins of WOTA for 1 skein of LP??

margie
12-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Those are FUN clogs, Kelly!! I like them!! :thumbsup:

KellyK
12-10-2005, 01:17 PM
THANKS, Margie!

Looks like Im gonna have about a dozen skeins of Mist WOTA left....I would have 14-15, but changed some plans and am using some of it to "heather" out a couple pair....for my sis & nephew.

SO- sis is getting mist soles with cherry blossom uppers and CB/Mist cuffs & bumpers. DN is getting mist soles & bumpers with hyacinth/mist uppers and hyacinth cuffs.

Whaddaya think?

jodstr2
12-10-2005, 03:31 PM
okay you ladies with the bicolor uppers -

THOSE ARE SOooOOoooOOOOOO RAD!!!

:inlove: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :inlove: !!!!!!!!

:cheering:

all that Mist left over? felted bag!!! felted bag!!! felted bag!!! felted bag!!! seems like everyone likes grey in their felted bags. we sold a bunch of bags at our holiday fair. how about a Buttonhole Bag? French Market Bag? a bigga Booga? or of course my favorite - Vintage Bubble Bag?

jodstr2
12-10-2005, 04:06 PM
oooh, I just remembered - I posted this in my blog thread but thought I'd mention it here too:
something I thought won't hurt to warn all of youses about - in felting the Christmas footsies yesterday, either the WOTA Spruce or the Mist bled, like, a LOT, into the water. something to consider if you ever pair those with a light color.

Sara
12-10-2005, 04:36 PM
I have 6 skeins of snickerdoodle that I was going to use for a Lucy bag until I saw the one Andrea just finished. (The finished bag DOES NOT look like the picture on the pattern! :mad: But that's another story...) Does anyone want to trade a complimentary color with me for clogs?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-10-2005, 07:28 PM
mist bled, huh..... hmmm.....

KK I have a buttload of purple LP! And some blue too. Not that I'm tired of it, but I've had it for a while.... Next time we get together I'll remember to bring it.

jodstr2
12-10-2005, 07:31 PM
mist bled, huh..... hmmm.....

coulda been the Spruce. not sure which.

Andrea
12-10-2005, 08:16 PM
I have 6 skeins of snickerdoodle that I was going to use for a Lucy bag until I saw the one Andrea just finished. (The finished bag DOES NOT look like the picture on the pattern! :mad: But that's another story...) Does anyone want to trade a complimentary color with me for clogs?

WAIT! I don't understand!! You don't want to make Lucy b/c of the way mine looked?? Because there are soooooooooo many sizes you can knit of Lucy so others may look more like the picture...I think the reason mine looks different is the way I shaped it after it was done. PLEASE don't let the shape of mine discourage you!! Lucys are FUN!!! :cheering:

KellyK
12-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Ive made a million zillion clogs with Mist and its never bled....neither did spruce... :thinking:

Andrea
12-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Ive made a million zillion clogs with Mist and its never bled....neither did spruce... :thinking:

Hmmmm I always thought you only made about 14 pairs...hmmmmm :thinking: :thinking:

Sara
12-10-2005, 10:04 PM

WAIT! I don't understand!! You don't want to make Lucy b/c of the way mine looked?? Because there are soooooooooo many sizes you can knit of Lucy so others may look more like the picture...I think the reason mine looks different is the way I shaped it after it was done. PLEASE don't let the shape of mine discourage you!! Lucys are FUN!!! :cheering:

No, No! I bought it because I liked the way the top of the bag looks in the picture! See how the top seems to curve in? I saw yours and thought, wait a minute, the top is WIDE on Andrea's and I don't think you made a pattern modification. I think that they tucked those top edges in for the pic. I want it to do that all the time and I don't think it will. So you really saved me from making the bag and then finding out what it really looks like. I probably would have had a stroke after doing all that work! Your bag looks great and I admire it. The color is really me, but that shape wasn't what I wanted.

Although, it just ocurred to me that I could fold the edges and sew them like that.... :thinking:

OR---I could steek it, so that it wouldn't be bulky... :thinking: :thinking:

Okay, I'm retracting the snickerdoodle offer for now. Sorry for hijacking!

margie
12-10-2005, 10:05 PM
THANKS, Margie!

Looks like Im gonna have about a dozen skeins of Mist WOTA left....I would have 14-15, but changed some plans and am using some of it to "heather" out a couple pair....for my sis & nephew.

SO- sis is getting mist soles with cherry blossom uppers and CB/Mist cuffs & bumpers. DN is getting mist soles & bumpers with hyacinth/mist uppers and hyacinth cuffs.

Whaddaya think?

I think that is a great idea!! I have a bunch of WOTA too- I ordered some with the intention of making clogs for my MIL and SIL, but after I got it, my DH said he didn't think that they would wear them if I made them- and there was no way I was going to take the time to knit them in that case! I figured I will find a use for it eventually.........

amy
12-10-2005, 10:58 PM
I just want to say:

Holy Maceral! :shock: This thread is nearly 100 pages long!!
I NEVER thought we'd see that on a single knit-along!
It's fantastic!!

Y'all rock.
(and I still haven't tried making these. Although one day I'm SURE I will. In fact my Fuzzy Feet Slippers now have holes in the soles, so maybe after the Christmas hubbub!)

KellyK
12-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Amy...they are ADDICTIVE. MAKE SOME NOWWWW!!!! :lol:

I finished Mom's snickerdoodle/mist cloggies this morning!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/ft_clogs_for_mom.jpg

volmel
12-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Kelly, I have to say that you knit the prettiest of anyone I've seen.

KellyK
12-11-2005, 05:31 PM
AW, SHUCKS. :blush:

Andrea
12-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Finally felted my DH's pair (my first one)---he LOOOOOVES them!! And today is his birthday so he's EXTRA happy!! :cheering:

Andrea
12-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Although, it just ocurred to me that I could fold the edges and sew them like that.... :thinking:

OR---I could steek it, so that it wouldn't be bulky... :thinking: :thinking:

Okay, I'm retracting the snickerdoodle offer for now. Sorry for hijacking!

I think when it's wet you could definitely fold them in!! You should try it!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
12-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Andrea....they are PERFECT!!!! :cheering:

Are those snickerdoodle and mist? or coal?

Andrea
12-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Well Miss KK, they are snickerdoodle and evergreen, just like yours!! (the colors just don't show well on pic)... :D

Ingrid
12-11-2005, 07:27 PM
All the cloggies are looking so great! No wonder this thread has gotten to long. Way to go everyone!!

lotsakids
12-11-2005, 07:33 PM
ooh i cant wait..my pattern should be here today...trouble is the mail doesnt get to my house til evening time so I have to occupy my itchy knitting fingers til then...hmmm....housework maybe?..[hey..I AM desperate]...janine

KellyK
12-11-2005, 08:03 PM
OK - do you all wanna know how nuts I REALLY am??

I just spent the last half-hour scanning through ALL 98 PAGES of this thread to find out how many clogs we have collectively created.

*drumroll please*

78 PAIRS!

(at least 78 that folks have posted pics of! There may be more with no pics lurking out there!)

And, I have made another discovery that will be of interest to all of you that make fun of me and my measly clog collection....MARGIE MADE ABOUT HALF OF THAT 78!! :roflhard:

margie
12-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Huh??? Me??? ;) I think I made 14 pairs. Mine are wearing out, though! I wear them every day, almost all day long. I guess I'll have to make another pair for myself after Christmas!! :happydance:

KellyK
12-11-2005, 08:36 PM
YES YOU, Miss CLOGGY-PANTS!!!! :rofling:

Which ones are wearing out? the WOTA? I do get what Im gonna call "yarn warts" :?eyebrow: that rub off on the inside sometimes. But they are holding up SO much better than ANY store-bought slippers Ive ever owned! Id be curious to see which yarn makes the longest-lasting cloggies!

margie
12-11-2005, 09:18 PM
YES YOU, Miss CLOGGY-PANTS!!!! :rofling:

Which ones are wearing out? the WOTA? I do get what Im gonna call "yarn warts" :?eyebrow: that rub off on the inside sometimes. But they are holding up SO much better than ANY store-bought slippers Ive ever owned! Id be curious to see which yarn makes the longest-lasting cloggies!

Mine are cascade and plymouth. The bottom sole is plymouth, and has actually worn a hole in it. I have been really hard on them, though. I have worn them out to the mailbox, the bus stop (although it is just at the end of my driveway!), and all around the house. :D

allegra918
12-12-2005, 11:29 AM
I just finished one clog for my dad for christmas. I can't get over how HUGE it is!!!! I wish I had a camera to add to the collection of pics, but you'll just have to imagine a very large evergreen clog (size 13). I must applaud the pattern, how clear! i hardly had any questions, just when i started the three needle bit. but now for clog two it will be smooth sailing (i assume!)

KellyK
12-12-2005, 11:40 AM
:cheering: YES IT WILL! :cheering:

kemp
12-12-2005, 12:07 PM
yep, every pair gets easier.

Here are some more from this weekend. All the sudden I have many clogs to make...after my little sis saw them she had to have some. She picked WOTA fog and mist (one down, one to go). The other pair are "playoff slippers" for my friend Lisa. Her DH is getting a pair too. They are big Bengals fans and have season tickets. The WOTA coal and carrot colors are perfect for that! I don't have a color card so I just guessed...luckily their colors show up pretty true on my screen. I was going to do duplicate stitch in coal over the carrot to make Bengals stripes...but then I decided I was too lazy for that :oops: I did try it though on a few stitches and it would look cool.

KellyK
12-12-2005, 12:22 PM
They look GREAT, Kempy!! And now that brings our grand total to...

:cheering: 80 PAIRS Of CLOGGIES! :cheering:

kemp
12-12-2005, 12:28 PM
That is a lot of warm feet! I have been wearing mine a ton. Can't wait to make more for myself.

I bet there are even a few pair that have been left out of the count. I'm sure some people aren't as anal um I mean, good about posting their progress.

volmel
12-12-2005, 01:13 PM
I have made a "practice" clog, a pair for my son, on the needles for my son-in-law, and am making my 4th pair for my husband. I cannot get his right for the life of me. The first two times the yarn didn't felt right. The third try was cascade. It felted okay, but left a few lines. This pair I'm using Lamb's Pride, which I used for the other pairs and they felt to perfection. That yarn is my favorite for felting.

I'm STILL having trouble deciding where to pick up the stitches when I attach the second sole.

margie
12-12-2005, 02:12 PM
I already posted a picture of these clogs- they are the ones I made for my sister, using Lamb's pride. I found the 2-piece suede soles this weekend, and put them on this morning. I'm really glad that I got them- my sister has MS, and I didn't want to give her the clogs without something on the sole, in case of slipping- but I didn't want to use the one piece suede on hers- I like the way the clogs look without it. I think this will work great! :D

MaryS
12-12-2005, 02:54 PM
KK,

If you're adding up cloggies add on five pair for me.
No camera 'til Christmas, (if Santa got my letter - :happydance: ),

but I've done (all in WOTA): Bluebonnet / Rain for me, Mist / Cranberry for DSO, Mist / Voilet for Dad's GF, Mist / Stream for Dad, Coal / Mist & Coal together for DS. DS are going to have suede soles, rest are plain.

Happy Clogging :XX: :XX:

Mary

Jazzmatazz
12-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Those two-piece soles are just perfect! I am loving my clogs without the soles, but I have a lot of carpet.

Add another pair for me, since I didn't post pictures of my pumpkin/avocado ones.

I like the way my clogs have a definite right and left footedness after wearing them for a while. Y'all told me it would happen, but I had my doubts. :thinking:

volmel
12-12-2005, 05:46 PM
I've taken a close up of the current pair I'm knitting. For the outer sole join, do I pick up the stitches where the red oval is, where the blue one is or where the green one is.

Many thanks!

kemp
12-12-2005, 05:52 PM
I pick up the stitches through the first line of bumps there on the garter st part of the sole...I can't tell much difference between the blue and green, but I think that woud be green. Hope that helps :) Oh and I go through the tops of the "bumps" so that the stitch is oriented as a knit stitch for the 3 needle join.

Ingrid
12-12-2005, 05:53 PM
I never posted a pic of my first pair, either.

KellyK
12-12-2005, 05:57 PM
So that makes 87!!! :shock:

lotsakids
12-12-2005, 06:17 PM
make that 87 1/2.....almost got my first one finished last night..mens size 11 on straight needles borrowed from my neighbour cos no one here has the right size..

mailman came about 5pm yesterday and the kids went to getthe mail..no patterns.. i was disappointed..BUT..my son took the garbage out later and found an envelope on the ground..had blown out of the letterbox..yippeeeeee got my patterns, so in between feeding and settling the baby, and getting other kids ready for bed I snuck some knitting in. Have to do the cuff and second sole..its easier than i thought it was going to be, cant wait to see if they felt up ok because i am using recycled wool from an old jumper....janine

DotMom61
12-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Amy...they are ADDICTIVE. MAKE SOME NOWWWW!!!! :lol:

I finished Mom's snickerdoodle/mist cloggies this morning!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/ft_clogs_for_mom.jpg

OK, this was really weird. I scrolled down, and your message came into view w/ only 1/2 of the clogs showing. In my peripheral vision the "tops" of your clogs looked JUST LIKE those eyes you drew on that cone of Christmas yarn. It made me jump. :|

BTW ... the clogs are LOVELY, I just wish they'd quit looking at me like that. :oo:

DotMom61
12-12-2005, 06:49 PM
I already posted a picture of these clogs- they are the ones I made for my sister, using Lamb's pride. I found the 2-piece suede soles this weekend, and put them on this morning. I'm really glad that I got them- my sister has MS, and I didn't want to give her the clogs without something on the sole, in case of slipping- but I didn't want to use the one piece suede on hers- I like the way the clogs look without it. I think this will work great! :D

Margie --

I love those two-part soles!!! It makes me think you could go to Joann's and just buy some suede & cut it the way you want it. Think that would work?

margie
12-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Julie, I think that would work just fine. The soles that I got had holes already punched in them, which made it easy to stitch them on. You would either have to punch the holes in yourself, or use a heavy-duty needle, but I don't see why that wouldn't work- and it would probably be cheaper, too!!

knitknut
12-13-2005, 12:37 PM
:cheering: Count me in for a pair!

wyoknitter
12-13-2005, 06:46 PM
I love these clogs. I have the pattern, ordered WOTA from Knitpicks ( not here yet ) and am sort of freaked out by the pattern. I'm a brand new knitter ...but my LYS owner and knitting guru says it's " only knit and purl stitches and what you do with them" ! She is encouraging me to try the clogs ~ she said I could come sit at her shop and she would help me along. So....right after Christmas...I am going to jump in !

They are wonderful...and I've looked at all the pictures here ( that's a lot of clogs ! )

Laura

KellyK
12-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Sounds like you are SET, Laura! You have the help of your LYS chick AND the most COMPLETE clog resource RIGHT HERE! A hundred PAGES worth! :roflhard:

knitknut
12-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey Wyoknitter, I'll be driving thru your town on my way to Montana next week. Umm, it is legal to drive and knit in Wyoming, isn't it? ;) I have one set of clogs done, another will be finished tonight so that leaves only 4 more to go! Woot! :cheering: If I can make 'em, you can too! I'm pretty new at knitting as well.

Only 11 knitting days until Christmas!

wyoknitter
12-13-2005, 09:05 PM

Why not knit and drive in Wyoming....the natives get away with it but the Highway Patrol likes to ticket out of state plates so be careful. Where in Montana? I'm from there and love it !

Laura

knitknut
12-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Going to Billings to be with family for Christmas. Know if there is a good LYS? I wasn't a knitter when I lived there.

allegra918
12-14-2005, 01:56 AM
So I just felted my first pair (evergreen size 13 mens) and i am knitting my second (mist size 11 mens). it hardly took any time to felt!! how exciting!!
anyway, after doing these clogs and a bag i am wondering how to get rid of the "pilling".....where can i get a fabric shaver or whatever those are called? any suggestions?

KellyK
12-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Allegra...I think you can just "pick" them off....but if you REALLY want a fabric shaver, Id try Linens and Things or Bed Bath and Beyond.

Here's a list of Montana LYSs:
http://www.woolworks.org/stores/mt.html

MaryB
12-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Add 4 more pairs from my house-----too busy knitting to take pictures.

I have used disposable razors to clean up felting fuzz.

KellyK
12-14-2005, 09:47 AM
92....92 PAIRRRRS OF CLOGS! HA HA HA HA HAAAA.....