PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Trends Clogs - The ULTIMATE RESOURCE

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

Ingrid
05-07-2006, 11:19 AM
I found that there was a day last week when it was too hot to wear them, so I don't think I'll wear them in the summer except in the mornings, probably.
If I have had cold ankles, I just put socks on, too.

I love the fact that when I get home from work and my feet are tired and maybe a little damp, I put on my cushy slippers and my feet can breathe and get to the right temperature. I have to say my feet have never gotten hot in them unless it was over 75 degrees.

I didn't expect to really wear them because I hate hot feet, but they've proven to be my favorite.

momwolf
05-07-2006, 06:29 PM
I got one slipper done except for 2nd sole :happydance: I cramed it in my scanner seeing as how I have no camera yet so it's not to good but I haven't had any trouble yet.Fairly easy actually

Ingrid
05-07-2006, 06:42 PM
That was fast! :cheering: I love those greens.

momwolf
05-07-2006, 07:17 PM
has anyone found a paint or spray on sole that works yet? I bet they'll last longer too!!!!!!!!I think Jan knew of a spray.I'd like to try that.Thanks Ingrid I fell in love with these greens.Of course green is my favorite color :heart:

Julie
05-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Hee, love how you crammed it in the scanner! :roflhard: Great job, loooove the greens...my favorite color too! :cheering:

Andrea
05-08-2006, 03:59 AM
I agree with Julie--it just looks so cute in your scanner!! :D

Jan in CA
05-08-2006, 03:09 PM
has anyone found a paint or spray on sole that works yet? I bet they'll last longer too!!!!!!!!I think Jan knew of a spray.I'd like to try that.Thanks Ingrid I fell in love with these greens.Of course green is my favorite color :heart:

I haven't tried this, non-skid rug backing (http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82328&PRODID=111806&source=search), but because it's meant to make rugs non skid and they are made of yarn or fabric it seems like a logical choice. I also found this stuff (http://www.plastidip.com/industrial/supergrip.html), that sounds promising. Spray on sounds neat, too. I wonder if someplace like Home Depot would have it.. :thinking:
Other's have used puff paint, hot glue and other things with mixed results.

momwolf
05-08-2006, 10:46 PM
THE CLOGS ARE IN THE WASHER AS I TYPE. tThanks Jan ,I think I'll try the rig backing.Got to go check the CLOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mulene
05-09-2006, 12:22 PM
I finally got my pattern - from an ebay seller. It would appear to be a copy of the pattern though *grumble* (I swear this month on ebay has been my hell month with bad sellers - really freaky) and I now have the wool (from another seller who charged me THREE times the actual cost of postage to get the wool to me) and I have the washer thingy sitting at my mothers. Two projects I have to finish first and then BAM I'm joining the clog trend ;)

Actually before I go ranting on my blogs about this and other things, what does the original pattern look like? Is it like a green sheet of paper printed on both sides, with a photo printed on photo paper glued onto the pattern and an additional little grey fleck piece of paper where the pattern continues?

Sara
05-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Yes, that is the actual pattern. They print it that way because it's cheaper for them and harder for unscrupulous people to copy. Never fear, you haven't been cheated. (except on the shipping :( )

mulene
05-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks Sara! I am so mad about the shipper booster I've ended up reporting him. He admitted that he was boosting postage so he could make profit and not have to pay ebays fees! I have a bunch of long lonnnng stories to tell about my last month on Ebay - I've been quite stunned, all my ebay bad luckers came in the last month lol

I quite like how this pattern is presented but it was so unusal that I was thinking "uh oh is this a copy?"

KnitKath
05-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I love your clogs!!! They're beautiful. I have just two little questions...Are they difficult to make And...where can I get the patteren? My niece would love these!

Ingrid
05-12-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't think they're difficult. The pattern is well written, and as long as you have a quite place to work, they go rather quickly.

The pattern is made by Fiber Trends and is availble many places for only $5.

KnitKath
05-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks, Ingrid. I went back to your blog and got the info. I was able to purchase the pattern from KnitWitts.com. I can't wait to get it...when my neice sees them, I know she'll want a pair! If I have any questions, can I contact your blog? Again, thanks so much. I'm so excited!!! :happydance:

KnitKath
05-12-2006, 03:08 PM
These are beautiful!! I was able to get the pattern from KnittWitts.com. I can't wait for it to come! Are they hard to do? What kind of materials are they knit with? I know that when my niece
sees them, she'll want a pair too! I am soooo excited! :happydance:

Ingrid
05-12-2006, 04:06 PM
You can contact me, or pretty much anyone else here. So many people have done them. I think KellyK has done hundreds :rofling: and even taught a class on them. There's help everywhere.

KnitKath
05-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi, Rebecca:
I know...I love these clogs too! I ordered my pattern from KnitWitts.com today :happydance: I can't wait to get it so, I can make a pair of my own! :XX:

KnitKath
05-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks, Ingrid

Jan in CA
05-12-2006, 05:57 PM
I just ordered the clog pattern...and a few others. :shock: :cheering:

Andrea
05-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Jan, I didn't know you hadn't made a pair of clogs yet! You'll love them!! :cheering:

Ingrid
05-14-2006, 09:39 AM
I decided to start a new pair last night since mine are in such bad shape and managed to get all but the second sole completed on one. I'd forgotten how quickly they can knit up.

cindyln
05-14-2006, 11:25 AM
I have finished my first 2 pair of the clogs and love them! I can't wait for my pair to finish drying so I can start wearing them. I used WOTA for both pair and love that yarn. One question though. Is there any wool that you could use a single strand?

winter night & chambrayhttp://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/cindyln/2006_0514sarahgraduation060016.jpg

hush & tuliphttp://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/cindyln/2006_0514sarahgraduation060011.jpg[/img]

Ingrid
05-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Pretty colors!! I think you can use bulky yarn one stranded for the clogs.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-16-2006, 11:16 PM
I already posted this in the general forum, but...........

:cheering: GLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (http://www.mybagatelle.com/store/album/Embellishments%20Class/index.php)

Hazelgil
05-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I've just managed to purchase the pattern for this, but am stuck with finding some suitable wool,

Does anyone know where i can get some nice, cheap wool from that will ship to the U.K?
I really like the WOTA but they don't ship here,

Thanks
Hazel x

sherimosher
05-21-2006, 11:33 AM
I did it! Completed my 1st pair of clogs - and 2nd and 3rd! I just couldn't stop! :heart: :XX: The 5 year old wool worked up beautifully and this pattern ROCKS! One line at a time. Pics attached. First time for pictures, here, so I hope they work!

Sheri in Beautiful Northern Callifornia

Danielle
05-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Great job on all of them! I especially love the colors of the top pair! :thumbsup:

cindyln
05-21-2006, 10:51 PM
beautiful clogs. I really like the colors of the first pair. What wool did you use?

sherimosher
05-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks! The pink ones are Cascade Quatro 9440 for the upper and Cascade 220 for the bottom. The label says 7801 - but I don't know if that is right. Says Rogue Red, and it is more magenta. I love those colors together, and wish I had remembered to take the felted pictures. Late breaking Mother's Day present!

Eloewien
05-30-2006, 10:14 PM
I've actually been making these for a bit now, and I'm trying to make it all the way through 135 or so pages of this thread, and I'm sorry if this has been asked, but has anyone been able to figure out how to scale this pattern for kids? I was asked to make a pair for my friends daughter, and although I know the five sizes on the existing pattern by heart, I'm not quite sure how to scale them down... any thoughts?
Also-- here's a shot of my first pair part way through felting, using the patons classic wool, which I've found works well. As you can see- one of them snuck out of the pillowcase I used and didn't quite felt as quickly- it got tossed back in for another 2 minutes and came out fine in the end. :D

Laura

Julie
05-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Fiber Trends sells a children's version of the pattern -- definitely worth the $5 to me, to avoid all that math! :rofling:

(Actually, kids' clogs are the only ones I've made...I have the adult pattern but haven't made them yet.)

KnitKath
05-31-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi, Ingrid
I love the color combos of your clogs! I'm currently making my first pair! :XX:

spooky
06-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Hello all ! I just got my pattern and yarn the other day to make a pair of clogs !!! And I am soooooo excited !!! Plus a little nervous because I have never felted anything before and I am all thumbs when it comes to sewing. I bought some WOTA and I have what probably would be considered a minor question.
The pattern (as you guys all know lol) says to knit with 2 strands together. I have done this before but the strands always kind of twist around each other while I knit. Will this pose a problem for me when I felt? Does this happen to everyone ;) ? Is there any way I can keep this from happening (If there is a way and I need a way :lol: ?)
Thank you so much!!! I am so ready to start! This is the 1st thing EVER EVER that I have made just for me !

Momof4Greys
06-01-2006, 12:38 PM
OK, I may be dumb, but what is: WOTA??

I'm not used to all the abbreviations yet. :oops:

spooky
06-01-2006, 12:40 PM
W (wool) O (of) T (the) A (andees) ----- yarn lol

Momof4Greys
06-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks!!

I was just looking at KnitPicks because I'm planning on making everyone a pair of these clogs for Christmas and I wanted to find a good yarn but one that wouldn't send me in the poor house. I think WOTA is the way to go. I'm in the process of making my first pair as the test pair, I've got one down and one to go. Had some minor mistakes but I'm hoping the felting with hide them. I used a multi-colored yarn so I didn't have to switch colors but I'm thinking of trying the two colored ones next.

Momof4Greys
06-03-2006, 11:34 AM
I have a question. The clogs I'm making now are multi-colored so I didn't have to worry about the two different colors. For Christmas I had everyone tell me their favorite colors and I'm making each pair according to that. How do I order the sole/cuff and main color for the different sizes??

I'm mostly making Women's small and Men's Medium. I also ordered the childrens pattern but it hasn't come in yet.

spooky
06-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Did I make a boo boo?

I have been working on the clogs pattern all morning and up until now and I am afraid to go any further.

I am doing this on straight needles and am stumped at the end of the Toe and Instep shaping part.

The straight needle directions state: Follow instructions in main pattern for your size until reach row 33 (that's for my size).

And then it has directions for the next row....

My question (and oh gee i hope i did this right) is Do I knit row 33 that is on the pattern and then do the next row that is states in the straight needle directions ????? Or do I knit row 32 on the main pattern and make the "next row for straight needles" my row 33?

I am really confused by the next part for straight needles where it looks like I will be knitting on the wrong side.
Rows 1,2,4,6 ====knit
Rows 3,5 =======purl

Lol ... Is that right ?

Please help cuz I'm afraid to go any further.

THANK YOU THANK YOU :lol:

Ingrid
06-03-2006, 04:14 PM
The only difference between the patterns is just that for circs you knit every row to get the stockinette stitch when you start in the round. For the straights, you just knit the knit rows and purl the purl rows as you have been.

Eloewien
06-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the kids pattern- I ordered that and the ballet slippers with some cascade 220 in a wonderful shade of pink for my friends little sister :) I also see another pair in my future for my 4 year old neice... Thanks again!

spooky
06-03-2006, 05:10 PM
That is where it is confusing me lol..... Maybe I'm just making this harder than it seems.

OK this is what I did:
The odds numbers are knit rows and the even rows are purl rows (I know duh lol)

But this is where is really confuses me:(Toe and Instep shaping)
I knit row 33
then I went to the next row part on the single needle part of the toe and instep shaping directions.
That was a purl row (which would make it riw 34 [even] if you are counting it) so I thought I had to be doing it right and I was left with 41 stitches on my needle. OK good good ... right? And all the stitches are on one needle. Made sense.

So, now I go to the cuff part.
Rows 1,2,4,6 (mainly even here) knit
Rows 3, 5 purl (now they are odd)

Won't that mean the stst will be on the inside now ?

Or is that the way that it is suppose to be?

I'm sorry... I just don't understand, yet :oops:

Ingrid
06-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Yes! The cuff shows the purl side as the right side! :thumbsup:

spooky
06-03-2006, 06:16 PM
LOL woohoo I did it right!!! I am soooo nervous about making these. I don't know why because I am making them for meeeee!!! But my husband can be a very hard citic and since they will always be near me I thought I should make them as best as I could to avoid hearing things such as "So, what are those suppose to be?" lol

Thank you so much for the answer!!! :XX:

Ingrid
06-03-2006, 06:29 PM
When he sees them unfelted, he's going to think you made a huge mistake! :rofling:

Momof4Greys
06-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Hi Spooky,

I'm knitting my first pair also, I had finished one and it wasn't quite right. I started the second one and I breezed through it, it's much easier the second time around. I just finished the second one and it's perfect, so now I'm taking the second one, making it the first one and I'm going to knit a new second one so I'll have a really great looking pair. I'm making these for me also which is my practice pair becaue I've decided to make these for everyone as Christmas Presents this year.

This was also my first time using circular needles so I blame the bad first one on that also. I was so nervous to use circular needles, I don't know why, but I love them now. The second one just went so much faster and I was so confident because I had the practice with the first one. If your first one doesn't come out quite right, just make three and take the best 2 looking ones to make the pair. Don't forget, they say that felting hides alot of imperfections also.

Good Luck!!! I'll post a picture on my "good" one if I can find the camera.

spooky
06-03-2006, 06:53 PM
I would have used circulars but DOH I only had size 13-- 29 inches and I thought... hmmmmm.... I'll just use my straight ones lol. I'm so cheap. The next time I get outta the house I think I'll probably break down and buy me some 24 inch needles. The closest I have been to needles was Wal-mart and they didn't have the right size or the right length. Gas prices are just totally killing me here so I thought straight ones would make do for now lol.

This is the first pattern I have ever done that has had this many instructions. It's really overwhelming me :?? . But I'm getting through it. Slow and steady. I thought this would be the most perfect day to try to knit clogs because my husband and son left for the weekend to visit family. (1st time I have been alone in almost 6 years :shock: lol) So, I;m gonna try my darndest to get one done by Sunday before they get home.

:thumbsup: Thank you for the support!!

spooky
06-04-2006, 12:48 AM
OK it took me about 12 hours and I got one clog done !!! Wohooo I actually did it !!! If you guys weren't here to help me and this KAL didn't exist I would probably still be scratching my head lol. Tomorrow is Operation: Get the other clog done before the family comes home!

Ingrid
06-04-2006, 01:21 AM
:cheering: :cheering: It looks great! And believe me, the more you do, the faster they go.

Momof4Greys
06-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Spooky,

That Clog looks AWESOME. Way to go girl!!!!!!! :happydance: Doesn't it feel so good when you finish something and it actually looks they way it should!!!! I love the color also. :thumbsup: I still didn't find the camera, but as soon as I do I'll take a picture and post it also.

Momof4Greys
06-04-2006, 01:08 PM
OK, here is my finished Clog:

Julie
06-04-2006, 01:18 PM
:cheering: It looks fabulous!!

Ingrid
06-04-2006, 01:34 PM
It looks wonderful! Love the colors!

spooky
06-04-2006, 10:49 PM
My secong clog only took me around 7 hours today. Wohooo I got a little faster lol. Plus, it helps when you know where this and that goes and what this and that is going to look like hehe. I am sooo nervous about felting. I just feel like somehow some way I'm going to mess it up. I really wish I knew someone (who lived nearby :lol: ) that knew how to felt, that could stay with me though the process.

YOU GUYS BE NEAR YOUR COMPS LATE TOMORROW MORNING :roflhard: !!!!!!!!

I hope to have some felted pics to post tomorrow night ;) .

Ingrid
06-04-2006, 10:53 PM
I was nervous about my first felting. It's just shrinking on purpose. The only real concern I've heard from people is that it can take longer than expected, so don't panic. As I said, as long as you see some changes, it's working.

spooky
06-04-2006, 11:14 PM
OK this is tooo funny !!!! My hubby is now calling my clogs galoshes and when I told my brother over the phone what I was making he thought I was carving them out of wood !!! :roflhard:

Ohhh ... Isn't family wonderful :rofling: ????!

Ingrid
06-04-2006, 11:21 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

spooky
06-05-2006, 01:28 PM
LOOOK !!!! I did it !!! I actually did it !!!!

Ingrid
06-05-2006, 04:30 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: The look GREAT!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

spooky
06-05-2006, 05:36 PM
I have all my friends and family ordering yarn, so I can make them all clogs now lol. Oh what did I get myself into!!!!????? :roflhard:

Andrea
06-05-2006, 06:10 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
Great job!!

Ingrid
06-05-2006, 07:10 PM
I have all my friends and family ordering yarn, so I can make them all clogs now lol. Oh what did I get myself into!!!!????? :roflhard:

Ask Kelly. She's been there, done that! ;)

catownedanna
06-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Okey, so I'm supposed to be working... But I have the pattern for the clogs at home and I just thought I'd check out the different colours of WOTA on KnitPicks... Now, I'm sort of itching to order but as I don't have the pattern right by my side, I have no idea how much yarn I need for one pair. And how much I need for the two different colours...

Anyone around to help? :heart:

NinaT
06-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi Don't know if this is too late but I'm happy to help! The yardages are as follows:
Woman's
Small (6):550 yds
med(8):600
lg(10):650
Men's
(11):750
(13):850

Remember, divide the number by three. One third is the upper color and 2/3 is the sole color.
Have fun!

CarmenIbanez
06-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Well I ordered all my yarn today. I ordered about 40 skeins of WOTA in various colors. Went to buy the pattern and the ladies at the LYS which is supposedly the only place locally to buy the pattern had no idea what I was talking about. :shock: But I did find a back-issue of VogueKnitting, so all was not lost.

Now I have to find the dang pattern somewhere else. I can't wait to get started! Yarn should be here next week, which is just enough time to finish the last two projects that must get done. :-)

NinaT
06-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Carmen, I'm not sure where you live but here (http://www.fibertrends.com/sources1.html) is a list of stores that carry Fiber Trends patterns.

Emeraldcutie
06-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Well after all my excitement of getting the Clog pattern from my amazing secret swapper.
I read all 139 pages of posts incase there is something odd I need to know.
I love all the creative clogs, and can't wait to knit my first pair this week coming up.
One curiosty question. Do you think the smallest size of ladies would felt to a size 4 or 5?

Can't wait to share and see more clog action.

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't think they'll get that small with the yarn called for. I suppose if you used thinner yarn, they'd get smaller, but I made the small size and I don't think they got below a 7.

Emeraldcutie
06-08-2006, 08:48 PM
So I couldn't contain myself any longer. I went to my lys and got the wool for my clogs. Iam a little leary about the yardage. But as the professionals remind us. Trust the pattern. I did buy one extra of the upper colour cause I was concerned..lol

Anyhow here's the outcome. I was thinking wild and wacky, but being the jeans and t-shirt kinda girl and love blue. I went with my trade mark.

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 09:24 PM
They're going to be pretty! :inlove:

Julie
06-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Emeraldcutie, is it you who has tiny feet? Or someone else? The kids' pattern goes by inches instead of shoe sizes, and I'd be glad to check it for you if you can tell me how many inches long a size 4-5 foot is. :D

boohboo
06-08-2006, 11:24 PM
I am just starting my first pair of the Fiber Trends felt clogs. I have used Fiber Trends felt purse pattern in the past. Count me in on the KNIT ALONG for this clogs project. Linda

CarmenIbanez
06-09-2006, 11:45 AM
I am going to Los Angeles next week, so I'll buy the pattern there. My yarn won't be here till then either.

I feel like this KAL has come full circle. Wasn't it just a year ago or so that it started with people making them for christmas? I am going to do a bunch of pairs!

Emeraldcutie
06-09-2006, 08:52 PM
I was thinking of them for my daughter, but I thought the childs size might be a little small.
I got my first clog knitted this evening, it is a fun and very easy pattern with some creative shaping.
I didn't know what to expect, but wow is it ever a mutant slipper at this point. Can't wait to felt on the weekend.:)

Hope everyone has a great day

Laura

KnitKath
06-16-2006, 03:43 PM
To Momof4Greys
I had the same problem LOL...My first clog didn't come out right either. But, I refused to give up! I really wanted a pair for myself, so I made my first clog over (it went a lot faster the second time and I was more comfortable with the pattern). Anyway, my clog came out fine and now I'm working on my second clog (I'm working on the cuff). I can't wait to felt them! I will post a picture when they're done. :D

CarmenIbanez
06-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Okay! Went to LA and the first shop I went to (yes from the FiberTrends list) only had the child pattern. But have no fear! Google for your mobile phone is here for you! Looked up yarn shops and the next one I tried had the adult pattern, and HEY! what is that? A pair of size 13 24" addis? I'll take them!

Now I am feverishly finishing mom's sweater and anxiously awaiting my deliver of 40, yes 40 skeins of WOTA! Yippee! Dad's pair is first.

Andrea
06-16-2006, 05:56 PM
:happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Emeraldcutie
06-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I got my clogs finished and it was fun, I don't think fun enough to knit 33 pairs but I really liked it. All my family (non-knitters) thought I was insane. They thought they were smurf hats and everything else imaginable. They took about 3 cycles on the heavy duty, super wash cycle. but were well worth it, after I ringed them out, stuffed with plastic bags, it took about 3 days to dry. Now everyone is like oooh ahhhh, can I get a pair, even my daughter who thought they were the ugliest things on earth is converted...lol..
Might be knitting a couple of more pairs.

Will post a pic as soon as my camera batteries finish charging.

CarmenIbanez
06-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Here it is peeps! All the WOTA I can handle. Hello Clogs here I come!

spooky
06-18-2006, 11:04 AM
OMG that's alot of yarn :inlove: !!! Wish I had the space for that :crying: . Good Luck on your clog journey :thumbsup: !!!!!

Ingrid
06-18-2006, 11:08 AM
I love the colors you chose! You'll have fun making them. The first 15 pair, anyway. :rofling:

KnitKath
06-18-2006, 02:02 PM
I :heart: the colors! I finished my first pair of clogs yesterday...I can't wait to felt them :happydance:

Marni
06-18-2006, 04:51 PM
YEAH! :cheering: :cheering: I FINALLY finished my clogs! I'm a weeeee concerned by their enormous size, but seeing every one elses shrink up nicely helps put me at ease. Heck if they don't felt enough I have a friend with a size 13 shoe... don't think purple is his color though :rollseyes: . They are 15" long after all!!! Here's a before picture.

They're on the way to the washing machine now... this is gonna be fun!

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/6855/dscn013610sf.jpg

knitqueen
06-18-2006, 04:55 PM
That picture is AWESOME!!!! :roflhard: I'm sure they will turn out just great! :thumbsup:

Emeraldcutie
06-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Here's my finished clogs, not bad for my virgin pair..lol

snephenie
06-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Here it is peeps! All the WOTA I can handle. Hello Clogs here I come!

Woah...for at first I thought I opened the Swap thread!!!

That looks like so much fun!!!! I just ordered the children's pattern should be coming soon :)

catownedanna
06-19-2006, 03:18 AM
I think these clogs might get me into trouble... I decided to make myself a pair and thought I might surprise my mother with a pair for Christmas. My BF saw the pattern and immediately asked for a pair. I told my sister about knitting our mother a pair of clogs and now my sister wants a pair too!

So, without having done a single pair, I already have a list of four names... Luckily I haven't promised them anything but have kept to "I'll do it if I like the yarn, the pattern and the process"... Smart! :D

And how I am supposed to be able to pick out colours for them? I can see so many great combinations of colours and have a hard time deciding.

Ingrid
06-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Emeraldcutie--your clogs turned out great! Matching clogs and matching cats! :happydance:

CarmenIbanez
06-19-2006, 10:21 AM
All y'alls clogs are awesome. I am totally inspired to jump right in!

Marni
06-19-2006, 09:32 PM
OMG, I :heart: my clogs!! The felting process was simple and fun and exciting. This first felting project was accompanied by many an outloud breakout of "hee-hee-hee" (like a school girl at recess).

The inside sole was a mixture of black and gray rows which turned into a pleasantly mixed salt and pepper after felting but it's kind of hard to see in the photo. This is a great project!

My before pic is a few posts earlier.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/5149/dscn013815ao.jpg

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/5843/dscn013913fb.jpg

Sara
06-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Marni, which yarn did you use for that white cuff? It felted really well, didn't it? Odd, white isn't supposed to felt very well. Ooh, that's exciting!

Emeraldcutie
06-19-2006, 09:41 PM
everyone notices my matching cats, when the man from animal control came to collect the fee for cat id tags, he was like, how the heck do you tell them apart. I explained well one is long and sleek and reminds you of a race car. The other one is just plain puffy and comfortable like your favourite pillow..lol...

I love the purple clogs those are too fun.
My daughter wants light blue and pink for hers (maybe after I get her afghan done)..lol

Marni
06-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Wellllllllll, ummm it's recycled yarn. It use to look like this...

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5977/postsweater7ul.th.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=postsweater7ul.jpg)

The tag says it's 100% pure wool made in Iceland. The tag also said "natural colors" though I've never seen a purple sheep so I don't know what that's suppose to mean.

While it's fun to morph one item into another on the cheep ($1.73 to be exact), unraveling is a pia. And it's quite time consuming. I wanted to try a felted project without spending a bunch of bucks though so it was worth it for the first time. I might have enough for one more pair from that sweater; maybe only a child size. I haven't looked yet. Now if I had Carmen's stash I wouldn't have to worry about it!! Holy cow!

Yeah, I read that white isn't as feltable too, but I tested a small sample of the white and purple by hand at the kitchen sink and they seemed to react about the same. I'm a little suprised that the clogs are "hairy" like; I only noticed one other pair that was posted as looking like that. Maybe it's the yarn or that the pics weren't close in enough.

Those are a very pretty pair of blue clogs too. The pair of kitty cats are awfully adorable as well.

Ingrid
06-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Marni--your's really felted nicely! Great use for that sweater, too. :thumbsup:

KnitKath
06-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Your Clogs came out great! :cheering: :cheering: I just finished my first pair of clogs on Saturday, and I felted them this morning....they're drying as I type this. The felting process went quickly for me (30 minutes), and it was sooooo exciting!!! This pattern Rocks!!! I :heart: my clogs....I can't wait to wear them! I will post a pic soon (my niece has the camera). I know I'll be making her a pair soon. :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX:

Andrea
06-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Marni, I :heart: :heart: :heart: your fuzzy clogs :cheering: :happydance:

CarmenIbanez
06-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Cloggies! Cloggies! I can't wait to get started. I might have to start before I'm done with the sweater. Right? Someone convince me!

Ingrid
06-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Go for the clogs! You can't wear a sweater for a few months, at least!

HollyP
06-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Go for the clogs! You can't wear a sweater for a few months, at least!
What she said :thumbsup: !!!

CarmenIbanez
06-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah, you're probably right!

Marni, great job on the recycling. I have six sweaters of various stuff that I have bought to recycle. It can be a pain, but like you said, clogs for $1.73.

Besides, you don't want to know what kind of "payment" my dh is extracting from me to make up for all the $$ I spent on yarn!!!

DragonTush
06-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Oh man! I really want to try these clogs out. I wish I could get the pattern here *sigh* :( ..Maybe I can convince my LYS that it would be a good idea to order it. Wish I used my credit card online....must. resist. temptation.

feministmama
06-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Marni yer clogs are awesome!!!!!!! I'm so jealous. starts eyeing stash for clog colors

CarmenIbanez
06-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Wish I used my credit card online....must. resist. temptation.

I don't know what kind of credit card you have, but I use my citibank card to purchase online, as they will generate a "one time use" credit card number that is only good for that purchase. This makes it so that you don't have to use your own number, safeguarding your account.

snephenie
06-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Has anyone done the childrens sized ones? If so what are the sizes and yardage? My pattern should be here anyday but I'm thinking of placing my yarn order tonight.

NinaT
06-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi! Hope this isn't too late.
Sizes are: 5"(6",7",8",9")
yardages: 210(245,285,335,355)

for 2 color: 145(175,185,225,240) of sole/cuff color
65(70,90,100,115) upper color

Have fun!
Nina

Julie
06-26-2006, 12:57 PM
The kids ones are sooo quick and fun! You'll love knittig them! (you know, after the first one) ;)

Eloewien
06-27-2006, 11:21 PM
I also tried the felted ballet slippers from fibertrends- they came out wonderfully as well :) They take a little longer than the kids clogs since they use a single strand of yarn, but the result is wonderful. I'll post a picture on my website when I get a chance.

snephenie
06-27-2006, 11:22 PM
I am almost finished with one of the kids clogs, I need to do the bumper. The pic is on my blog.

DoulaLyndsey
06-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Can I join ya?

My LYS FINALLY had the pattern instock. They can't seem to keep it on the shelves! But, I went in there today and they had just gotten some more, so I snagged one and some Plymouth Galway in blue and black to make my husband a pair of clogs :thumbsup: . I'm going to do my gauge swatch in a bit, then I'll be on my way!!

DoulaLyndsey
06-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Ok, question already. Just did my gauge swatch. I double standed the Galway and started with the size 13 needles but was getting less than 9 stitches to 3" (supposed to be 9sts to 4"). So then I moved up to size 15 needles and barely got 9sts to 3". I know I'm not THAT tight a knitter and size 15 needles are the biggest I have. Why am I having such a hard time with the gauge (I've never had trouble with gauge on any other pattern)?

CarmenIbanez
06-29-2006, 01:46 PM
I am starting my first one today after I lay out the pieces to the sweater I need to block! Yippee!

snephenie
06-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Ok, question already. Just did my gauge swatch. I double standed the Galway and started with the size 13 needles but was getting less than 9 stitches to 3" (supposed to be 9sts to 4"). So then I moved up to size 15 needles and barely got 9sts to 3". I know I'm not THAT tight a knitter and size 15 needles are the biggest I have. Why am I having such a hard time with the gauge (I've never had trouble with gauge on any other pattern)?

I'm not sure...maybe the yarn weight is different that that used in the pattern?

I'm bad...I don't get my guage (especially on felted item) and I used WOTA, mine came out ok on 13's.

Julie
06-29-2006, 10:03 PM
I've never swatched for any of my clogs...and I've made a lot of them! I just figured that I could make any size adjustments during the felting process. :D

DoulaLyndsey
06-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Hmm, not sure, the lady at the yarn store said that the owner had just made a pair in Galway and they turned out nice, so I don't know. I went ahead and started them in size 15, so I hope they fit. It's really neat to see the toe shaping! :thumbsup:

snephenie
06-30-2006, 03:49 AM
Ok...here they are, kids clogs before and after. I made a mistake on the upper cuff, I didn't bind off during the join..so there is an extra row there...something about the bumper doesn't look right either...oh well practice makes perfect (at least that's what mom used to say)

Andrea
06-30-2006, 09:25 AM
:cheering: They look great!! And they will only get more "cloggy" looking with wear, so don't worry about any wonkiness you see (which I don't!) Weren't they fun!!

I have the kid's pattern, I haven't made any for kids yet though.

DoulaLyndsey
07-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Aww, how cute!! I love the little children's clogs! Beautiful colors too!

I finished the first clog :cheering: . I had a small mishap, I ran out of the sole color yarn, not quite sure how I miscalculated so much yarn, but I made another stop at the LYS today and got what I needed so I'm well into the second clog now. Had to take a break because my fingers are going numb :shock: . But DH cannot wait until they're done, so he's cheering me on to get them done ASAP :lol: .

KnitKath
07-02-2006, 04:33 PM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9026/clog16qy.png

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1662/clog25do.png

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/7256/clog38pq.png

Here are my clogs, finally finished! They are made from Lion Brand yarn, the colors are flower garden and rose. I can't wait to wear them!

snephenie
07-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Those look great! Which lion brand wool will felt?

KnitKath
07-02-2006, 10:06 PM
I used Lion Brand -- Lion Wool. It felted very quickly, the process only took about 30 minutes. However, this yarn is $$$$. My clogs cost about $50.00 to make. Counting in the costs of the pattern, needles and yarn.
I will use WOTA from KnitPicks, the next time I knit a pair!! :XX: :XX:
K

boohboo
07-03-2006, 08:00 PM
KnitKath, what does WOTA stand for?

NinaT
07-03-2006, 08:22 PM
World Association of Tasting Animals Yum Yum...

Just kidding...Wool of the Andes from KnitPicks.com! Amazing site

boohboo
07-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Nina, have you felted the Wool of the Andes yarn in the past. Do you dye it yourself since it comes in white. And if you do dye it, how does that work in the hot felting water? For sure, the price is right.

Julie
07-03-2006, 09:00 PM
WOTA comes in gobs of colors and it felts wonderfully. Dyes well too, though, if you want to do that instead! :D

NinaT
07-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Boo,
WOTA comes in LOTS of colors. They do sell it in a natural colorway that is REALLY fun to dye (see their Kool-Aid dying tutorial). I have not yet felted my home dyed yarn but I have read that it felts beautifully.

DoulaLyndsey
07-06-2006, 08:25 AM
I finished DH's clogs on Sunday, but I'm being lazy about uploading the pictures. They were a quick, easy knit, I was surprised because when I first picked up the pattern, I was shocked at the sheer length of the instructions :shock: . But I've got enough yarn left over from DH's to make DS a smaller, matching pair, so I'm going to get to those eventually, plus I'm planning on making these for Christmas gifts, so I need to order some WOTA and get to work!

sugarbeth
07-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Hello everybody! I'm new to posting here, but I've been lurking for awhile - this is the best knitting site EVER! :thumbsup:

So I've always wanted to try these clogs, so I'm about to place my order for WOTA. Can you experts give me any idea if my quantities are about right?

I'll list it as sole/cuff color, then upper color

My clogs (size 7.5 shoes) - 4 chestnut, 2 stream
I picked stream as I wanted a peacock blue, and that's the one that looked the most peacock-y on my screen, but if someone who's seen those blues in person knows for sure which one is the most like peacock, then let me know!

Husband's clogs (men's size 9.5 - any idea which pattern size to use?)
5 carrot, 3 iron ore (he wanted orange and red ones)

Daughter's clogs (she's 5) - 2 violet, 1 tulip (what else is a 5 year old girl going to pick? ha ha ha!)

Toddler son's clogs (almost 2) - 2 winter night, 1 chestnut

I've only got size 13 circulars in 29". Should I pick up the shorter length needles for these? If so, what should I get - especially for the toddler-sized clogs?

Thanks for your help! :)

Julie
07-15-2006, 09:33 AM
I had to laught because I made two pairs for 5-y-o girls this year (DD and her best friend) in violet and tulip :roflhard:

You can knit the clogs flat on 29" circs, but if you want to knit them in the round, you'll need 24" for the adult ones, and 16" for the kids'.

CarmenIbanez
07-17-2006, 06:08 PM
I finished my first pair of clogs yesterday! Can you believe they felted in 15 minutes! I used WOTA. I'll upload pics soon! YAY! I love them. It is such a fun project!

MMK
07-30-2006, 10:52 AM
KP has come out with WOTA in bullky. Do you think that would work as a single strand for the clogs? I don't use bulky very often and don't know how it compares.

boohboo
07-30-2006, 11:50 AM
what is KP?

Julie
07-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Knit Picks (http://www.knittinghelp.com/dynamic/php/metro/acl.php?bannerid=10&zoneid=3&source=&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.knitpicks.com%2FCart%2FPartn erRedirect.asp%3Fpid%3D51%26kid%3D363%26media%3DKN ITTINGHELP) -- a fantastic yarn source :D

cecile
08-02-2006, 12:53 PM
KP has come out with WOTA in bullky. Do you think that would work as a single strand for the clogs? I don't use bulky very often and don't know how it compares.

I saw that, too. nice colors.

Usually, bulky is only a bit heavier than worsted. I wouldn't think it would work as a substitute for a double strand of worsted. But if you use the bulky, you could pair it with a strand of that DK weight wool you've got in your stash... (oh, that's me. never mind... :))

Hope this helps...
Cecile

ctmax
08-02-2006, 02:31 PM
My sister in law knit them using bulky, and she said you need to knit one size up. They would felt smaller than when holding to strands. Hope that helps.

Lucy Fan
08-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Sorry, I took a several month hiatus from these clogs when I messed up on the first pair and threw a fit. Finally picked them up last week and finished the second pair tonight. I have them in the washing machine right now!! I'm so excited. So far so good when I check them. I can't wait to see the finished product. :cheering:

Lucy Fan
08-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Here they are...before and after pictures

Next to an ugly slipper that Mike's mom bought for Mike at a craft sale.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid211/pc830cf687269a9e985aa09e21825219c/eda308bd.jpg

With Mike's feet.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid211/p6f0a2fe381a75b17ca896af33f9f14ca/eda308ba.jpg

Finished next to ugly slipper
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid211/peafb93c92b552b8137382a0226f83d91/eda306a9.jpg

Side view. Mike decided not to wait up for the finished product so I can't get a picture with his feet. The socks are holding the form while they dry.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid211/p4936a9d6ae9665ad5a3ccba6d17f0920/eda30718.jpg

MMK
08-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Usually, bulky is only a bit heavier than worsted. I wouldn't think it would work as a substitute for a double strand of worsted. But if you use the bulky, you could pair it with a strand of that DK weight wool you've got in your stash... (oh, that's me. never mind... :))

Hope this helps...
Cecile

No, it's not just you. I think I will give it a try. I have some great vibrant green DK that I will never use. I think it would be a great clog color.

Ingrid
08-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Since this thread has become so huge, and people are expressing an interest in making them for the coming winter, I've opened a new clog thread where you can direct all new questions.

Fiber Trend Clogs 2006 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16982&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=)