PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Trends Clogs - The ULTIMATE RESOURCE

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Since it seems like so many of us are knitting these now, I thought I'd do a KAL. Amp, Ingrid and myself are the ones I know who are working on it for sure... I think Ingrid is waaaaay past where amp and I are though!

I thought this coul dbe an ongoing KAL... so just join when you can. I'm making 5 pairs for Christmas presents, and I think KK is making a million pairs for Christams presents, so someone will always be knitting these, at least for the time being.

I'm going to post links here, too, to the other threads on the forum that deal with the F.T. clogs. (just not tonight, because i actually want to get past row 5 before bedtime), and links to places online that sell the pattern. (agin, not tonight)

Anyone who's making them, please join in! People who have made them before, please frequent this post to help us clog virgins when we have problems.

Advice I got from KK:
Just do it. You won't know what you're doing, and you'll be like, "WTF?!?!". Just trust the pattern, go line by line... then, all of a sudden, it'll look like a clog!

amp926
07-14-2005, 12:48 AM
I just made it to row 5 with the help of Hilde!!!! THANK YOU Hilde!!!! :notworthy:

This is really a fun pattern (so far)!

I feel so proud of myself! :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-14-2005, 12:54 AM
yayyyyy amp! glad I could help. Try to post a picture soon! (so will i!)

amp926
07-14-2005, 01:06 AM
I hope KellyK is right.... because this sure as heck doesn't look anything like a clog! :thinking:

I will try and post a picture in the morning. I have to get DH to help me!

KellyK
07-14-2005, 07:10 AM
It will start looking like a clog soon after you switch to the second color.

I PROMISE!!

Ingrid
07-14-2005, 07:44 AM
I can't find my tapestry needle, so I couldn't finish the second clog last night. I put it in a safe place but the cat thinks it's her responsibility to knock all small things on the floor and hide them under the couch. I'm a little anxious about felting, but I'll do these before I make the other, larger 2 pairs I'm going to make.

amp926
07-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Hilde, youre not going to beleive me! I don't know what got into me last night but I just kept knitting and knittting..... :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX:

And before I knew it I had a clog in my hands. :XX: I casted on for the second sole and knitted the first row. I looked up at the clock and it was 7am (my time) :shock:

It sounds more crazy than it really is. My husband is a police officer that works night shifts so I often will stay awake all night and sleep during the day with him. :zzz:

I am so proud of myself. I can't believe I actually did it! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Yeah me!!!!!

InterNette
07-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Whose pattern is the clog and where can I get one?

KellyK
07-14-2005, 10:33 AM
The Clog is by Fiber Trends (http://fibertrends.com/viewer/V5_accessories.html) and, unfortunately, its not a free or downloadable pattern. Check your LYS or there are online vendors that will mail it to ya.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-14-2005, 10:54 AM
omg amp that's awesome!!! My husband works second shift, so I knitted until about 2am then went to bed, and a bit more this morning. I finished the "extra rows" part and now i'm working on the right colum of directions. DH goes "that doesn't look like a clog to me!" So I folded the sole down, and he's like WHOA!!!! I'm so gald this thing is symmetrical.

Ingrid, my cats took my row counter last night :shock: It was under the couch. They must be in cahoots with your cat!

KellyK
07-14-2005, 11:12 AM
I really wanna hurry up & finish my tank so I can get in on this action with yous guys!!! I have the child's pattern now, too. AND, I still have WOTA left over from my sis' bag. I was gonna make a bag for myself, but decided to use it for clogs instead. For the little girls on my list (My niece Ella & by brothers' girlfriends' dtr) Im gonna do a hyacinth sole, a cherry blossom upper and a daffodil cuff. Wont that be CUUUUUTE? :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-14-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm done with the upper. Now I'm going to work on the second sole.
Two ideas:
1. Can I make the second sole for both clogs at the same time? It seems silly to do the same directions at the beginning, do them again halfway through, do them again for the beginning of the second clog, and then do it again for the second sole #2. I think I'm going to try it.
2. Now that I'm getting into it, I think I want to chart out everyone's name and add that across the top of the upper in a contrasting color. OR I was thinking I could add a picture--like my brother is into computers, so I could do a fair isle computer. (naturally I won't do it on mine, because the one upper is already done.) I'm worried about the decreases in the middle of the upper--how will it affect the chart.... maybe I shouldn't be??

I'm thinking now that I'll be able to finish this pair today and felt them tomorrow night (i have a crafty date planned with a friend from school during the day). I want to get started on the next pair soon (DH's). I *Am* taking that embellishment class next week, so I could wait until after that to "add" anything in--maybe I'll learn something extra cool. I don't want to add names or pictures to 1 person's and not another, though, but I don't want to wait until after the class to start the next pair.

HILDIE!!!!!! STOP OBSESSING!!!!! GO MAKE THE DAMN THINGS!!!!!!!!

KK, have you made woman's medium? How much WOTA did you use? i bought 2 balls for the upper and 4 for the soles, but for some reason i'm worried that I won't have enough (it works yardage-wise, but I'm obsessive anyway).... :help:

KellyK
07-14-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm done with the upper. Now I'm going to work on the second sole.
Two ideas:
1. Can I make the second sole for both clogs at the same time? It seems silly to do the same directions at the beginning, do them again halfway through, do them again for the beginning of the second clog, and then do it again for the second sole #2. I think I'm going to try it.

NO. :fingerwag: I TOLD YOU TO JUST FOLLOW THE PATTERN, HILDEGARD!! :shifty: Im saying no because you attach the second sole with a three-needle bindoff, so it has to stay on the needle.

I knit one sole/upper combo, then the other sole/upper combo, then the first 2nd sole & attached it, and THEN the second 2nd sole & attached it.

KK, have you made woman's medium? How much WOTA did you use? i bought 2 balls for the upper and 4 for the soles, but for some reason i'm worried that I won't have enough (it works yardage-wise, but I'm obsessive anyway).... :help:

That amt will work just fine. I promise. TRUST THE PATTERN!!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-14-2005, 02:36 PM
I trust the pattern, it's just slow! Can't i do 2 on one needle, do the 3NBO with one, and leave the other on the spare needle until I need it?

don't yell at me :help:

KellyK
07-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Sorry I yelled. But, I feel like Im talking to my DH....

:mad: "Will ya just read the friggin directions, HUNEY?!?!? And, STOP OVERTIGHTENING! You're gonna strip the screw again!" :mad:

I WUV HILDIE!

Here are the WOTA colors in which I've made clogs so far....

The first ones are snickerdoodle and evergreen
DH's are Mist and Coal.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-14-2005, 04:08 PM
omg! i was going to DB's in snickerdoodle and evergreen!!!! But i really like the maple syrup tooooooooooooo.

:figureditout: ooo! Stripes!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

are stripes allowed? :shifty:

KellyK
07-14-2005, 04:13 PM
OK - Im letting it go. They are YOUR clogs and you should knit them they way you want to. You bought the pattern and the yarn...its all yours. Im gonna stop being a control FREAK.

I just thought for your first pair, you may just want to follow the directions exactly so that for the next ones, you'll have a better "feel" for how they work.

:roflhard: <---- crying and sobbing on the floor
WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! I WAS ONLY TRYING TO HELLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-14-2005, 06:07 PM
well I'm following the pattern for the first pair. Maybe I will "experiment" with my brother's pair...he won't care anyway. He probablly won't even wear them. OR I could experiment with any pairs that I make sor my SIL; she deserves whatever happens to her.

thank you KK i :heart: you and your thoughtful advice :inlove: muah!

cmk
07-14-2005, 06:59 PM
KAL! Okay - I'll think of the colors and place an order. I guess I'll go with WOTA - I've only used Cascade220 and Lamb's Pride for felting. Still have tons of purple left from all the FMB's I was going to make.

Hildegard - how many do you have to have finished by Sept?

Carolyn

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-14-2005, 07:23 PM
well, I want to get all 5 pairs done, if possible. Know what I said to DH today? "Wow, I wonder if I should make these for The Brats (niece and nephew) too?" He looks at me, perfectly straightfaced, and says "Why not just make them for Dad (FIL), Shirley (FIL's g/f), The Morons (BIL and SIL, parents of the brats), Beastor (Barb, my MIL) AND The Brats?? Then we won't have to buy anyone presents!" :shock: I'm like, yeah, why don't you learn how to knit, smarty.

IF i make them for The Brats I'd have to make them for the Morons too. Then Beastor will want a pair, and feel all left out and and turn into Psycho Grandma. we do NOT want that.

Can you tell i love my inlaws?????? I wonder what thaey call deano and I behind our backs...

Ingrid
07-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Its so precious that you have such a close and loving family. :inlove:

carollovesyarn
07-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Kelly - your clogs look great! I have the pattern, but I need more yarn. Guess Knitpicks is the way to go... I made fuzzy feet last year using Cascade 220 and Peruvian Wool from Elann, but these clogs take so much more, I'd go broke trying to use these brands again.

I like KALs. It's about time I did one here!

Carol

amp926
07-14-2005, 09:10 PM
I need some pushing! My needles are still sitting in the same place that I left them this morning. SOMEONE motivate me!!!!!! :help:

Ingrid
07-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Imagine Rod Stewart singing "Tonight's the Night"....... Ingrid's going to felt her clogs..........She just has to sew one more sole seam..........Cross your fingers. . .....

KellyK
07-14-2005, 09:20 PM
The WOTA is just SO cheap & it felts up SO nicely!

AMP.........GET GOIN!!!!!!!! :mad:

Ingrid
07-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Imagine Rod Stewart singing "Tonight's the Night"....... Ingrid's going to felt her clogs..........She just has to sew one more sole seam..........Cross your fingers. . .....

Ahem, imagine Annie singing "Tomorrow, Tomorrow"

Can you imagine the nerve of my daugher using the washer for laundry! Some people!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-14-2005, 10:23 PM
oo yay ingrid! you can do it! Just go slow.

I wonder how these would work in the knitpicks merino. It's so much softer and less fuzzy. It's also less sturdy.... hmmm........

COME ON AMP!!!!! I have done at LEAST a row and a half since I got up this morning :rollseyes:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-15-2005, 01:20 AM
*anxiously awaits a felting update from Ingrid* :waving:

amp926
07-15-2005, 01:28 AM
I finished one of my clogs! :happydance:

I am so impressed with myself. I didn't think I was capable of doing it. The only other "real" pattern that I have done is the Booga bag. :oops:

Thank you guys for convincing me I could do it!

I'm going to try and finish the sole on the second clog before I go to bed..... goodnight!

rebecca
07-15-2005, 01:28 PM
ok, ok, ok,.....I want to play....what online vendors has this pattern and I have to order my yarn and I have a gazillion things to do 1st....BUT I LOVE THOSE CLOGS!!!!......SOMEBODY tell me which online vendor and how much yarn I need.....please....now!!!!
i'm impatient.........

amp926
07-15-2005, 02:20 PM
I got mine from www.knittingzone.com (per silvers reccomendation) and I was sooooooo pleased with them. I ordered it on a friday night (really late) and I got it on Tuesday morning at like 8:30am! :happydance:

It is really such a fun pattern to do.

THANK YOU KELLYK!!!!!! (you are the one who started this whole craze!) :balloons:

Silver
07-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Kelly!! Your clogs look fantastic! So what was all that mumbo jumbo about mine looking so "perfect"? Yours are perfect too, so there!
:cheering:

Now.. go knit YOUR heavenly potholder!

KellyK
07-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Eh....phoo on BOTH of ya! :oops:

Hildie was brilliant enough to make a KAL out of it, and Al's clogs are lumpy.

blueslady
07-15-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm the newbie here.
You ladies are doing a fantastic job. Those clogs are beautiful. I finally got my pattern and been reading it. I decided to type up the size for me which is the smallest. This way I don't have to look at all the other sizes, might make it easier for me to follow. I bought only 1 of each of the yarns in cascade 220. I might have to buy more. I will make the smaller size 6. I will keep reading your messages to learn from your experiences. Hope I don't have a problem. I'm still working on my luster sheen cap top. I just finished the front.
Good luck girls. Rebecca :)

amp926
07-15-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm making the size 6 too. I think you are going to need 3 hanks of the cascade 220. I am doing the two colored and I am using 2 for the sole/cuff and one for the upper part.

The pattern looks really overwhelming but if you just read one line at a time its ok. (I think KellyK told me that!) I use blank pieces of paper to cover up everything except for the line that I am working on so that I don't start looking ahead and get frustrated!

Ingrid
07-15-2005, 08:45 PM
The pattern looks overwhelming until you realize that there are so many short rows.

Felting coming soon--as soon as I put away the groceries. 8:45 pm here, sheesh!

blueslady
07-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi
I'm also going to make the clogs in two colors, the dark gray and the light. Thanks, yes Silver told me I would need more but the lady at the yarn shop told me to start with one of each and if I needed more to get more. I also have the magnetic board and the magnets to cover the line I work on. I hope I typed it right or I will make a mess for sure lol. It's hard for me to read the pattern with that dark blue background. I will ask my hubby to check to make sure I didn't type extra stuff for trying to make my life easier. It's my first attempt and I'm terrified. Is this yarn easy to unrevel? in case of screw ups.

I have a little story to tell. About 8 years or so, I finally decided to get a computer and the reason for it was to get online and find ladies that knitted, crochet, did crafts etc. Well I signed up at different sites and the only ones that responded for some reason were Survivors of Domestic Violence. They begged me to write, I guess they were just looking for friends. Well, I was lonely also and being that I'm a Survivor myself, I wrote back.

After several months of emailing this lovely ladies, I found out how many people out there are or have been victims. I ended up very depressed to say the least, and they convinced me to make a site for Domestic Violence Survivors, and I had to learn. Took about a year but I got them up. That was a long story made short. Sorry guys. But wanted to share this.

Now that I was not looking for ladies that knit, I found this lovely site. I'm so happy and excited to have found such a lovely group and the videos that Amy has and for FREE. I couldn't believe my luck. I'm so greatful. Rebecca :)

Ingrid
07-15-2005, 09:36 PM
Welcome to the party! Its a happy place with people who are more than happy to help every step of the way!

I just finished my first clogs last night and their in the wash now. The pattern was not at all difficult, and the yarn and needles are large enough to take out if you need to. Once you are working on the top part its very easy to tell if you are doing it correctly, you'll see.

I'll be back in a few with an update. :pray:

cmk
07-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Blueslady - Do you have a scanner or photocopier? I was able to photocopy mine because in the lighting that I use when knitting, it was very difficult to read with the blue background.

I made a couple of size 6's and in both cases needed more than 1 skein of each color. Are you not going to double the yarn? If you're not, you might be okay.

Good luck! (I'm looking at colors right now - so difficult for me to make a decision!)

Carolyn

Ingrid
07-15-2005, 11:02 PM
:happydance: :happydance: I've got clogs!! :happydance: :happydance:

It took a while and I had a few hairy moments, but they're done and they're magnificent! Well, almost, just a Seinfeld thing.

I think they took longer than I expected because the first batch of water in the washer wasn't as hot as it could have been. (Room temp. water in the pipes, I guess.) Then when I opened to check the first time, my pillow case was empty--didn't tie it tight enough. They had escaped.

So I took them out, drained and refilled the washer, added more clothes, tied the case tighter and voila! :D

I really need to get a digital camera. :?

So one down, definitely two more to go, maybe four.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-15-2005, 11:22 PM
:cheering: yay ingrid :cheering:

get a digicam so we can see, PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm still on clog #1. I neglected my knitting today *sigh*

Ingrid
07-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Yes, its definitely high on the list!

KellyK
07-16-2005, 12:17 AM
I think it should be a requirement of KH membership to have (or have access to) a digital camera.....It drives me NUTS not being able to see everyone's beautiful FOs!

(just kidding Ingrid....we wuv you!) :heart:

blueslady
07-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi CMK
No not going to knit them single. I haven't found the needles yet. Found the size 13 but in 29 inches and longer. Was looking for the 24 inch like the pattern calls for.

Yes I do have a scanner, I tried and tried to get the background lighter and I did but then the print comes out lighter also. That's why I decided to type my size out and make it also bigger and darker so that I can see it easier. Yes I also a digital camera. I'm working on the back of a sweater I started last night on it, hoping that by the end of the week I will have it done, dying to get started on this clogs. By the time I get done I'm hoping to find those darn needles. Wal-Mart has them in 13 but longer and half the price.

Did you use the 24 inch needles or did you get longer. I'm wondering if the longer wouldn't be to long for that small project. I will scan the cap sleeve sweater I'm making in luster sheen peach color as soon as I'm done with it. It better fit. I charted it myself. Thanks for responding. I better get more yarn before it's gone. Rebecca

Ingrid
07-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Longer needles won't work on these clogs, at all. I had to do some running around to find them, too. I had every other size BUT 13. Oh well.

If you have access to a copying machine, if it has a 'photo' button or color button, it will make the background lighter. You can also enlarge it and adjust the contrast.

blueslady
07-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks Ingrid.

cmk
07-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi Blueslady -

I used the 24" circs - it's Profi made by Skacel. When I was purchasing the pattern, a customer that had knitted several clogs highly recommended that I get the correct length of circs. At times, I found that the knitting was a bit stretched with size 6 clogs.

I'm impressed that you're typing out the pattern! I found out that 2 of the clogs I'll be making are size 8 - I know that I'm going to have to circle the numbers for that size or I'll be making a lot of errors!

Hope you can find the correct size circs!

Carolyn

blueslady
07-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi CMK
I just got done typing it. Now I'm trying to make sure it's correct lol. If not will end up screwing up the clog. My husband didn't want to help me proof it. I think once we have it typed up for the size we want will make it much easier and with a white background. The reason this patterns are sold in this dark paper is so we don't copy it I guess. But makes it harder for the honest people, we only want to be able to read it. The print is small also. I'm going to make it larger and bold if I have to. Didn't take long to type it it's just time consumming to proof it. The insert is easy to print and make larger. Hope I get to see your clogs soon. Better get back to my pattern. Rebecca :doh:

Ingrid
07-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Well, my son came for a visit and he nor his girlfriend would like clogs. So one for my sister and one for her daughter, I guess.

But I get to knit a shawl for my son's girlfriend--more her style. I think Cozy from Knitty. Silk!

blueslady
07-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Hi Ingrid
I'm sorry to hear that, after all the work you have done. But not everyone appreciates knitting, I have one of my daughters that has 4 kids. Since they were little I used to knit things for them and when I went for a visit I would find the items, even the barbi clothes I knitted torn by the dogs.

Now I only knit for me and my mother. They don't appreciate nor like knitted things. My heart would break when I would find barbi doll clothes I had knitted for the kids outside like trash. I'm sure your clogs are lovely. :(

Ingrid
07-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Actually, the clogs I finished are for my oldest daughter. She doesn't have a choice :D . I wasn't sure if my son or semi-DIL would want them, so I'm glad I haven't started yet. I know my sis will like them, so I'll make them for her and her daughter.

I'd like to have an opportunity to do some lacy work, but I can't see myself with a shawl--but now I have someone who I know will wear it.

So, its all good. :happydance:

blueslady
07-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Hi Ingrid
I have tons of shawl patterns I have collected online. If you need one let me know. Rebecca :thumbsup:

Ingrid
07-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks. Being the OCD that I am, I've already ordered the yarn for Cozy and printed out the pattern. I've only done lace as a part of another pattern, so I think this will be a good intro for me. :D

cmk
07-18-2005, 02:23 AM
I was looking through my stash, and found some WOTA. I purchased some Snickerdoodle and Pumpkin because in the catalog, it looked like it would go together. They don't. The Snickerdoodle is much more subdued, less yellow than the photo. The pumpkin is brighter and has more red in it. Has anyone used the Chestnut? Is it close to the color in the catalog? What about Maple Syrup?

TIA
Carolyn

KellyK
07-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Carolyn, you may want to knit a swatch with the snickerdoodle & pumpkin together & felt them.....Ive found colors tend to get muted with felting...you may like them better together then!

cmk
07-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi Kelly,

I had thought of just going ahead and knitting the two up then decided against it. The recipient is so good with colors - probably the best that I know. When I'm uncertain about color combinations, she can immediately spot why something will/won't work. Once she points out that a color has too much gray or blue, etc., I can see it! I'd better go pick hers out in person! I also have some gift certificates getting very tattered sitting in my purse.

BTW - did you see that satchel in the last Interweave mag? A person would use a lot of different colored yarns in that, so with the colors that are not what one expected...(another project!)

Carolyn

cmk
07-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Does anyone think it would be tacky to take WOTA to LYS to find a coordinating color?

Carolyn

Ingrid
07-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Absolutely NOT! Would you hesitate to bring a pair of shoes to a different store to match a dress? They should welcome you with open arms every time you're coming in to make a possible purchase.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-19-2005, 01:01 AM
You might want to look at a color wheel, too. You may be able to find a blue-ish color to go with the pumpkin (they're opposites on the color wheel, so they should go together). If you don't know much about color theory, check out this site (http://knitting.about.com/library/weekly/aa081097.htm) which also has some good links, and this article (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATcolor.html) from knitty.com. (www.knitty.com) My favorite color book is Color Magic for Quilters (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0875969852/ref=sib_rdr_dp/103-8047659-3405445?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books) Which i bought when i did quilts more than I knitted... it explains color theory in normal language AND offers some "color harmonies" based ont he color wheel. I think it's invaluable for quilters and knitters alike.
My best friend teaches art, and I was a color-moron before she explained it to me. :-) I bought the quilt book at her suggestion, and i LOVE it.

On another note, I am using eitehr snickerdoodle and maple syrup or snicker doodle and pine OR maybe all three for my DB's clogs. I think they look manly together. (he's a neutral kind of guy, anyway).

KellyK
07-19-2005, 08:01 AM
I am using eitehr snickerdoodle and maple syrup or snicker doodle and pine OR maybe all three for my DB's clogs. I think they look manly together. (he's a neutral kind of guy, anyway).
MY clogs are snickerdoodle and evergreen. IM not manly... :(

Here are the colors I have chosen my eleventy-gogool pairs of clogs in order of sole/upper/cuff:

For girls:
Hyacinth/cherry blossom/hyacinth
Hyacinth/cherry blossom/daffodil

For boys:
Mist/Hyacinth
Winter Night/Grass

All of the adults are getting Mist for sole and cuff. Here are the various upper colors:

Women: Cranberry, snickerdoodle, grass, Mulled Wine
Men: Winter Night, Hyacinth

cmk
07-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Thank you for your suggestions! I really wanted to use the Snickerdoodle because my friend makes so many cookies! Now I have some options for the sole and cuff. If I take my WOTA yarn into the LYS, I'll let you know what type of reaction I get - apparently some LYS don't like companies like KnitPicks.

Thanks for the links, Hilde. I'll go check out the sites about the color wheel. I know the basic theory, but when you're actually looking at the yarn or fabric it's sometimes hard (for me) to see the subtle greys, reds, etc. added to the color.

Gotta work - it's pretty obvious that's I'm playing with all those emoticons on the side!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Carolyn

KellyK
07-19-2005, 11:58 AM
If I take my WOTA yarn into the LYS, I'll let you know what type of reaction I get - apparently some LYS don't like companies like KnitPicks.
Just take the label off before ya go in.... ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-19-2005, 02:17 PM
I thought my LYS would be wierd about it, but I just took my stuff in and sat down and started knitting. I even got out the FTC pattern which I bought at ANOTHER STORE and plopped that on the table too. What are they going to do, tell me to leave? But they didn't, and actually, we talked about the other store and it's good point and bad points (there were many of us there). My LYS ladies were super nice about it, but I know the other place woul dhave been snooty about it. I guess it depends on the store.

my clogs are coming soooooooooooo sloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww. I just started the first round of upper on the second pair. sheesh. I suck. If I could only knit ALL DAY and not do anything else I'd be good. I was thinking I could hammer these out 1 clog a day....nope :rollseyes:

KellyK
07-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Well, its only because of stupid SCHOOL and your stupid DOCTORATE program and the fact that you have to stop knitting and stupid EAT and SLEEP and stuff! GAWD! :rollseyes:

metalsgirl
07-19-2005, 04:35 PM
forgive me - i know i've read this before, but there is soooo much on KH right now about felted clogs that i have no idea where i read it to go back to it......

i'm a size 8.5 - should i do the pattern for 10? that's how it's written right? i'd want to do the next size up and felt down??

also, how much WOTA do you all think i should order?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-19-2005, 04:39 PM
no no, do the patterns for the womans 8. that's what i'm doing, and i wear an 8.5. If you do the pattern for size 10 you'll be felting for days!!!!

Ingrid
07-19-2005, 04:41 PM
The pattern is written in women's s, m, l, which is listed as 6, 8, 10. That's the finished size. Also have men's 11 and 13. I did the women's medium and they were big enough to fit Shrek before felting! There is a huge difference between the knitting size and the felted. I'm sure someone can direct you to a picture. Make sure you're where you can laugh w/o getting in trouble!

Each pair calls for 550 (600, 650) yards for the women's, and 750, 850 for the men's.

KellyK
07-19-2005, 04:43 PM
NO NO NO....knit the size that's closest to your own...the pattern takes the felting & shrinking into account. You will just felt them until they fit you right. I think you will wanna kit the size 9 or 8.

metalsgirl
07-19-2005, 04:46 PM
what am i missing KK - i don't see the pattern written for 9???

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-19-2005, 04:47 PM
AND I ordered 4 balls of the sole/cuff color and 2 balls of the upper color, and I have PLENTY left over. I wouldn't get less though, you never know....

Ingrid
07-19-2005, 04:48 PM
It's not written that specifically, just for 6, 8, 10. You have to decide bigger or smaller, I guess.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-19-2005, 04:48 PM
it's not written for 9... didn't you say you wear an 8.5?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-19-2005, 04:50 PM
and they're going to be HUUUUUGE anyway, you will have plenty of room to felt them down. to your correct size.

metalsgirl
07-19-2005, 04:50 PM
i wear 8.5 - no, KK said i'd want to do the 8 or 9 - i thought i was just being dense b/c i didn't see 9 listed

thanks for the color breakdown hilde - just what i was looking for

metalsgirl
07-19-2005, 04:51 PM
ok, i'll trust your expertise and make the mediums for myself at least

how large do you think feet would have to be to merit making the w large?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-19-2005, 05:00 PM
i would say a size 10 shoe would go with the womans large directions.

KellyK
07-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Im sorry...you are right...there is no 9 listed. My bad. MAKE THE 8! I promise, they will be HUGE!

cmk
07-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Looks like you guys have been having fun all day!

I took a long lunch - the LYS lady touched the skein of Snickerdoodle, she didn't say much. There was nothing that sang to me, so I went to AC Moore and got some Paton's in Deep Olive. (As I was looking at the colors, I wondered whether or not it would be masculine) I sure hope WOTA and Paton's felt at the same rate. (Lopi and Paton's do not - Paton's felts a smidge smaller)

BTW - how many inches is a size 8 foot?

TIA
Carolyn

MaggieL
07-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Well, I ruined my first pair. :crying: I will call them slippers instead of clogs. I forgot the second bottom. :shock: How stupid can you get? :doh:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-19-2005, 09:53 PM
what do you mean ruined??? how bad is it? it can't be so bad thatthey're unusable... ?

MaggieL
07-19-2005, 10:05 PM
They are usable. They just look like genie shoes without the pointy toe. They don't look like clogs. I'm just so mad at myself. I got so excited about felting (my first project), that I didn't read carefully.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-19-2005, 10:31 PM
this was your first project???? Or your first felting project??/ Well, who cares, you did it and you can still use them! Felting is wierd. My first felting project was a cloche hat... I spent weeks laboring on this thing, only to have it felt down to minchkin size. :mad: I bought more yarn to make another, kint 2 rounds, and there it sits, on the needles, as it has for about 6 months now. Oh well! Can you post a picture of your slippers?

snephenie
07-19-2005, 11:01 PM
AND I ordered 4 balls of the sole/cuff color and 2 balls of the upper color, and I have PLENTY left over. I wouldn't get less though, you never know....

You knit this double stranded right? I think I'm making my order this weekend. I want to make sure I order enough.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-19-2005, 11:41 PM
yep, double strand!!!

Maggie, what do they look like? Did you follow all of the directions except for the second sole? Missing the second sole shouldn't make them not look like clogs...

amp926
07-20-2005, 01:58 AM
I FINALLY finished my second clog! :cheering:

Hopefully I will felt them tomorrow! I am so excited! :happydance:

I still need to figure out how to post pics! :thinking:

MaggieL
07-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Hildegard,

This was my first felting project. They look like the clogs without the bottom. I was just disappointed that they didn't look like everyone else's lovely clogs. I will dig out the camera this afternoon and take a picture.

MaggieL
07-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Hildie,

Below is an example of the way my clogs look.

I give :D ... they are not ruined. They just aren't what they are supposed to be.

KellyK
07-20-2005, 01:27 PM
:roflhard:

Hildie has started quite the trend with the MS Paint program!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-20-2005, 11:40 PM
hmm... well, you're right, they're not ruined. Did you attach the second sole with the bumper? That might have made a difference. I'll bet that if you get some of those slipper bottom thingies they will look perfect!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-21-2005, 12:08 AM
okay, I had a slight fiasco with my clogs. Here's the short version:
1. I forgot how to count. several times. Which required several unknittings
2. I forgot that 3NBO means you actually have to bind off ALL the stitches, not just whenver you remember
3. I randomly got a hole where the upper joins the sole right at the back of the heel , which i noticed after my first cycle of felting.
4. I fixed it with KK's help :heart: but the fix didn't felt away completely...
5. In trying to get the fix to felt, I felted too much, so they were too small
6. i streeeeetched them to fit, which worked great, in the process getting my birks wet.
7. I purposefully added some extra short rows to the back of the heel (in addition to the extra they suggeted) because I hate heel backs that are too low, however, it wasn't enough, so the heel is STILL too low.
8. somehow I ended up with purple fuzz on everything, but the yarn i used was a dark blue and a rosey color. (do yarn colors blend without bleeding?)

BUT the do look good! I think these are going to be my SIL's pair... she won't give a care anyway. (and she'd better be damn thankful to get them, regardless). I'm going to do mine and DH's last so they're the best :-)

Stuff I learned with this pair:
1. Having to do the same sole FOUR TIMES is a pain, but there is no way to do them at the same time without taking longer to figure out how to do it than it would just to do it four times singly anyway.
2. In my washer, there is a very small window of "perfect size" between way too big and munchkin size.
3. Knots do felt away (mostly)
4. Using a sticky tab to mark on the pattern sheet which row I'm reading was a good idea i discovered AFTER knitting row 4 of the second sole in place of row 6.
5. Counting is important, but should be done when necessary only. For instance, once I started counting, I got into this counting mania and even though I was supposed to stop at 33 and do something different I just kept knitting and knitting and knitting annnnnnd knitting annnnnnnndddd knittingggggg(use a peewee herman voice there). Since I got the pattern down in my head, and how the #s of Ks and Ps correspond to where to decrease in relation to the previos row, I'm not going to count stitches unless I am doing one of the funky extra decrease rows.
6. Do not wear leather birks when felting. It's asking for trouble (I just immediatly wiped up the splash, and you can't even tell. I was lucky: don't let worse happen to you)
7. I have looooooooooooooots of mosquito bites on my feet! Stop tromping around barefoot outside.

Okay. so that's a lot of good things I learned. Here are some pictures... a few befores, a "during" and a few afters. One down, 11 to go!

amp926
07-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Yeah Hilde! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

They look so Purty! I like the color combo! Is that Mulled Wine and Hyacinth???? :thinking:

I finished mine yesterday but have yet to felt them.

So far I think I will need only 8 more pairs before christmas. :XX:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-21-2005, 01:43 AM
mulled wine and winter night :-)

AND, i can't belive i left this out of my fiasco list,
ONE OF MY DENISE CABLES BROKE!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

And, of course, it's the most medium sized one, the one I used most. :mad:

I guess I'll just send it in to get fixed! stupiud needles. The same thing happend to mine as yours KK: the thingy broke off right IN the needle. :shock: CRAP! so I guess that means i have to send in for a new needle then, right? *i want to cuss REALLY bad, now*

oh well. my clogs look cool. guess i need a notehr project until I get a new needles :mad: *grumbling*

amp926
07-21-2005, 01:46 AM
..... my boyes haven't broke yet.....

*amanda ducking as Hilde throws broken needles at her*

amp926
07-21-2005, 01:48 AM
On a serious note.

I'm sorry about your needles. That really sucks! But think happy thoughts... your clogs look so pretty! :D

KellyK
07-21-2005, 07:23 AM
HILDIE THEY LOOK GREAT!!! :cheering: I love the mulled wine/winter night combo! Let's call them "mulled night". Mine will be "Snicker-green" (or "Ever-doodle"?)

DAMN your feet look nasty! :? What've you been trying to do....start up the Flintstone-mobile??? :roflhard:

I think you could probably remove the little piece from inside the needle...use a tweezer or a needle-nosed plier or something. That way you can start on other clogs while awaiting the arrival of the new cord. I bet after all you went through last night, you cant WAIT to get started on another pair!!!! :mrgreen:

kitkat
07-21-2005, 09:24 AM
THATS IT! I am ordering the pattern tonight! And I want to order my WOTA.....would any of you mind peeking at your pattern and tell me what I need for the following sizes:

women size 6 (me)
women size large (#1 son inherited my fairy feet)
mens size medium (#2 son)

OH OH OH OH I want my pattern and I want my WOTA right now!

KellyK
07-21-2005, 09:28 AM
What size shoes do your sons wear?

kitkat
07-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Kyle wears an 8 1/2 mens and skinny too....
Adam wears a 9 1/2 mens, fred flintstone fat....

KellyK
07-21-2005, 09:45 AM
I would make the women's large for Kyle (650 yards total....440 for the sole/cuff color, and 220 for the upper color)

and the men's medium for Adam. (750 yards total...500 in the sole/cuff color, 250 in the upper color).

kitkat
07-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks! How much yardage do I need for my dainty toes? (size 6)

KellyK
07-21-2005, 10:30 AM
OH CRUD...I forgot about your footsies. Now Im at work & my pattern is at home. No worries...I just emailed Bev at Fibertrends...she'll get back to me soon, Im sure. ;)

mshelton
07-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm waiting and waiting and waiting for the pattern that I brought from Ebayer to come in so I can join in. I should have sent a money order or something instead of the check as I'm sure they are waiting for the check to clear before sending me the pattern. I also plan on making several pairs for Xmas gifts. I have some Paton UpCountry wool that I brought for a sweater but realized (after knitting the back which I had to ripped out) that I wouldn't have enough for the sweater so I thinking about using it to make the clogs. The skeins come in 78 yards in 3 1/2 oz skeins (13 sts=4 in on 10 1/2 needles). Do you thing that would work if I didn't use double thread? Maybe I should just get some WOTA? A couple of questions--Are the clogs slippery when walking? Any hints when I tackle this project? I'm new to knitting so hopefully I can actually read the instructions. I'm impressed with what you guys have been doing, and have enjoyed your pictures!!

kitkat
07-21-2005, 01:13 PM
I have some of that Elann Peruvian stuff (which is not nearly the wunderbargain that the WOTA is), and I have some of that Patons classic wool, also not enough for clogs and also pricey......hey....maybe I could combine the two LOL!

Nope, going to get the WOTA....I dont think my boys would like pale pink, burgundy, and denim together for their clogs :rollseyes:

Julie
07-21-2005, 01:37 PM
So Hildie, what would you say the F-Factor (http://knitkittyknit.blogspot.com/2005/07/f-factor_09.html) of the FT clog pattern is? (warning: strong language ;) )

cmk
07-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi mshelton

Is the Paton Upcountry bulky or chunky? If that's the case, it might be alright, but if it's worsted, you might not have the body when felted. I hope you get your pattern soon. Have you e-mailed the seller (the only reason I ask is because DS1 has been "burned" a few times this past year.)

Kitkat - I purchased the Patons classic at AC Moore yesterday for $4.99/sk which I thought was a reasonable price.

I look forward to seeing your clog photos!

Carolyn

cmk
07-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Hi Blueslady

Any luck in finding the 24" circ?

Carolyn

mshelton
07-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Thanks Carolyn--The Patons UpCountry is listed as Bulky but it seems to be on the heavier size (which is why I didn't have enough for that darn sweater.) It was at Elann for 3.28 each. I plan of using WOTA at some point but I'm trying not to buy anymore yarn until I use some of the yarn I have already purchased. I think the Ebayer is okay as she has 100% rating and noted that she has received payment so I think I will get the pattern any day. Right now, I'm knitting some of those hanging fingertip kitchen towels for gifts with cotton blend yarns I found discounted at Tuesday Morning Dept. store. Marlene

cmk
07-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi Marlene

It's going to be so hard not buying yarn once you get your pattern! I know what you mean - yarn taking over house. I didn't know Tuesday Morning sold yarn. A Tuesday Morning opened up just before we moved - now there's not one nearby.

I'm now off to attach the second sole on the second clog.

Carolyn

kitkat
07-21-2005, 11:19 PM
LYS had the pattern! I bought it hip hip hooray!!!!! Too late tonight to order WOTA.....hopefully tomorrow!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-22-2005, 12:44 AM
:roflhard: the f factor for the clogs would be...maybe F2. If you were ME knitting the second of the 2 and trying to get it finished, it was a temporary F4 or 5. But F2 is realistic.

**I learned something about the clogs at my class tonight!!!!

If you knit the second sole on with a "bumper" it's important that you knit it the same way on bnoth clogs, otherwise they will turn out funky. If you want the bumper to curl up, you have to attach the second sole and knit the bumper with the sole facing up. If you want it to curl down, knit with the sole down. It didn't occur to me to do it one way other the other... thankfully I did mine both the same, because there was a chick at my class who did them, but one bumper was curled up and the other was down, and they looked REALLY funky. AND they can't be fixed after felting, you'd just have to make 2 new clogs, making sure to do 1 up and 1 down, so you have 2 matching pairs.

cmk
07-22-2005, 01:05 AM
That's good advice about attaching the bumper. I didn't knit a bumper, but when attaching the second one, I was attaching it from the outside and that was looking different from the first - so tinked it back and BO from the bottom (sole side). I wondered if the clogs would look different even without the bumper.

I really do not like the tacking (F4) - it takes me as long to tack as to knit the second sole. I think I've put in way too many stitches - each time I've made this, I wonder about how far apart the tacking can be (is this from quilting?)

Kitkat - you'll need 550 yards for women's size 6 (same ratio 1/3 upper, 2/3 sole/cuff)

Carolyn

jodstr2
07-22-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm going to look for this pattern this weekend at the Fiber Arts Market.
I have a feeling tho that these are beyond my skill level.

DH bought me felted clogs last yr for Christmas. I decided later I wanted one in every color, so I'm going to attempt to make them.

kitkat
07-22-2005, 08:15 PM
I got the pattern last night at LYS!!! WEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Ingrid
07-22-2005, 08:21 PM

DH bought me felted clogs last yr for Christmas. I decided later I wanted one in every color, so I'm going to attempt to make them.

They are not difficult at all. The pattern looks a little overwhelming because there are so many rows, but most are short rows. After you do a few, you can easily see the st that you need to ssk or purl together.

twiggyann
07-23-2005, 12:29 AM
mind if I join? I just got the pattern today and I'm already stuck. *laugh* On row 2. heheheh

Off to read the rest of the thread, just in case.

KellyK
07-23-2005, 12:31 AM
You can join in at any time...this thread will be ongoing until EVERY SINGLE MEMBER of KH has made at least two pair of these clogs, Im sure!

Did you figure out row two?

twiggyann
07-23-2005, 01:02 AM
You can join in at any time...this thread will be ongoing until EVERY SINGLE MEMBER of KH has made at least two pair of these clogs, Im sure!

Did you figure out row two?

Well I *think* I did. Still working on it between reading. And it doesn't seem like it would be the right thing to do, but in perusing this thread, I saw someone insist we TRUST THE PATTERN so I am. *laugh*

gimmesanity
07-23-2005, 08:47 AM
well, y'all have sold me...I ordered the pattern and some WOA to make myself and DH and pair. Depending on how they come out, I may add them to my xmas gift list. Hopefully, they'll be here tuesday-ish.

I'm gonna be harrassing everyone here about the pattern. It sounds like people are having issues reading it?? hrmm....I'm looking foward to it, though. :D

Mer
07-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi guys! I'm going to be making a pair of these for my dad's birthday, and I'm not sure about the size. He wears a size 12 shoe, and the pattern says men's medium is an 11 and large is a 13. I know I saw some of you saying that it stretches--would you recommend that I make the 11 and let it stretch, or just go for the 13? It's going to be difficult to felt since he's not here to try it on, I think.

MaggieL
07-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Hey kk,

My clog/slippers have dried and I tried them. I MUST use the paint. Me + clogs + hardwood floor = problem. :rofl: Thanks for the solution!

Ingrid
07-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Hi guys! I'm going to be making a pair of these for my dad's birthday, and I'm not sure about the size. He wears a size 12 shoe, and the pattern says men's medium is an 11 and large is a 13. I know I saw some of you saying that it stretches--would you recommend that I make the 11 and let it stretch, or just go for the 13? It's going to be difficult to felt since he's not here to try it on, I think.

I would go with the 11 for a 13 foot. You can watch them frequently while they're felting, and they will stretch from what I understand. Wait till you see how HUGE the knitted one is!

wildforyarn
07-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Hilde, I love yours. The colors are great! I finally ordered the adult and kid patterns off of Ebay a few days ago and now I am waiting for them to come. I have the yarn I will use for mine at home and hopefully enough for one of the kids too. I am sure my DD will want some outrageous color like pink or orange. And will want to wear them all summer long, like she does her almost too small suede boots. Picture a 2.5 year old in purple suede boots with shorts and a tank top. :roflhard: Oh, and I forgot to add the purple swimming goggles that she must wear because they match the boots. :eyebrow: Oh well, pick your battles I always say.

Anyway, I got off topic. I can't wait to start my FT clogs. But, by the time I start them, this knit-along will probably be done. :(

Ingrid
07-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Its only July. I imagine this will go on until the holidays are upon us. And we've all completed the 2 pairs that Kelly assigned. :?eyebrow:

KellyK
07-23-2005, 10:25 AM

I would go with the 11 for a 13 foot. You can watch them frequently while they're felting, and they will stretch from what I understand. Wait till you see how HUGE the knitted one is!

I agree. My DH is a 12, too, so I made the 13 and ended up washing them about 12 times! :shock:

I am sure my DD will want some outrageous color like pink or orange. And will want to wear them all summer long, like she does her almost too small suede boots. Picture a 2.5 year old in purple suede boots with shorts and a tank top. :roflhard: Oh, and I forgot to add the purple swimming goggles that she must wear because they match the boots. :eyebrow: Oh well, pick your battles I always say.

:roflhard: OMG I love the outfits that 2.5 yr olds pick out for themselves!! Just make sure you take lots of pics of those ensembles so you have some good blackmailing material when she's a teenager!

jodstr2
07-23-2005, 12:59 PM

They are not difficult at all. The pattern looks a little overwhelming because there are so many rows, but most are short rows. After you do a few, you can easily see the st that you need to ssk or purl together.

thanks Ingrid :D!

kitkat
07-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Its only July. I imagine this will go on until the holidays are upon us. And we've all completed the 2 pairs that Kelly assigned. :?eyebrow:

(slinks into her corner and sulks)....AS IF!!!! I am counting on you guys and girls to be there when I get done with my LYS noro sweater and can get er done!!! In the meantime, I am going to go ahead and place a WOTA order!!!

Ingrid
07-23-2005, 02:55 PM

(slinks into her corner and sulks)....AS IF!!!! I am counting on you guys and girls to be there when I get done with my LYS noro sweater and can get er done!!! In the meantime, I am going to go ahead and place a WOTA order!!!

Wait--don't slink! I meant that when the holidays are upon us we'll have completed the two pairs. Not now! I've done one out of curiosity, but now that I've seen how they work and know how fast I can do them, I have a feeling that the other two I want to make will be done somewhere around December 15. Maybe sooner if I need a quick project. I've switched to a shawl for my semi-DIL because she doesn't want clogs. It's a nice switch.

blueslady
07-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi everyone. I have been knitting my cap sleeve top with luster sheen I just finished it and now I started on the clogs. I have a question for everyone that is knitting them. After the first sole... Where it says

BEGIN UPPER PART OF SOLE: I don't understand this part I will type it out so someone can please explain it to me.

BEGIN UPPER PART OF SOLE: Chge. to upper color for 2 color clogs. I get that but next is: knit 1 row and mark as right side do not turn. where do I knit the one row? since I just finished the first sole. Do I continue knitting on the first sole without cutting thread just changing thread color?)

Bring the beginning of the last row up onto the point of left needle. Place a marker on needle and knit one. Comple round, joining work at heel in the process. Help.... Rebecca :(

Ingrid
07-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Yes on the first question. Just change color and knit one row.

Then you're placing a marker and joining in the round to knit the rest of it in the round. The bringing the of the stitches to the point of the left needle is just bringing them around so you can knit in the round. This joins the heel automatically.

OK?

blueslady
07-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Hi Ingrid
Thanks so much. I thought I had to make one sole and then start a second one separate from the first them put them together. So you're saying that I finish the first one and I continue on the first one to start the second one? I will have two of them together? Will they both have an opening in the center? then I sew together in the middle to close each?

Ingrid
07-23-2005, 10:40 PM
You knit the first sole, then the top, all connected. You close the first sole bottom, pick up stitches along the side with a spare needle and set the slipper aside. Then you make a second sole and join it to the slipper.

twiggyann
07-23-2005, 10:50 PM
I gotta tell ya. I'm repeating Kelly's Mantra "Trust the Pattern" but it's certainly not easy to imagine that this is a clog.

Just sayin'

cmk
07-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi Blueslady,

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, but you first knit a sole, (ends at row 7). If you're using 2 colors, you will then attach the second color for the upper part of the clog and continue knitting until the end of the page. On the page that says "Cuff", you change back to the sole color and follow those directions. After that is bound off, etc., you make another sole (rows 1 to 7). Go back to the page that says "Cuff" and follow the instructions that pertain to your style of clog.

Yes, both soles will have an opening which will be down the center and each will be sewn closed.

Is this what you were asking? If not, post again. The pattern instructions really are very good - just go row by row.

Carolyn

blueslady
07-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Ingrid
It sounds so complicated. I think I will sleep on it and try tomorrow. Maybe after I finish the first sole I will get the picture. Right now I'm totally lost. Thanks. If I can't get it maybe I should go to Fiber Trends. Do they have support system for us? If I would have typed that pattern I think I would have taken a picture of several steps to make it easier for dummies like me. I normally am pretty good with patterns but I think she wrote this one more complicated then it really should be. Thanks Ingrid. Will keep you posted, I hope I don't have to bother you again. Rebecca :crying:

blueslady
07-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi CMK
Thanks for the responce, yes I think that is what I was trying to say. That sounds easier to follow. Will let you know if I get it. I'm so tired now I have to get offline and rest my eye balls. THANKS AGAIN. Good night ;)

Ingrid
07-23-2005, 11:19 PM
It's not really complicated. Really, really, really, it's just a matter of following the pattern and doing what they say. You don't need to go anywhere but here. We've done them, it worked, and done them again.

You knit a slipper starting with the sole. You knit the upper (with a different color if you choose), then you knit the edge in the sole color , a little complicated here, but not horribly so, then bind off.

After finishing the slipper (sans second sole) they have you pick up stitches in readiness for the second sole to be stitched on. You set that aside while you knit the second sole, exactly like you did the first.

Both soles have a slit down the middle which will need to be stitched up.

Hang in there. You can do it!

snephenie
07-24-2005, 01:21 AM
I just went to my LYS for the first time to get the pattern...OH BOY...thank goodness I am a member here and know about knitpicks otherswise my clogs would be worth $70.

They has some beautiful stuff but my goodness...$$$$$

I hope to be joining in on this within the next few weeks.

twiggyann
07-24-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm right on gauge (believe it or not) and I'm using a double strand of worsted weight wool but the fabric feels a bit loose and airy. Is that normal?

Ingrid
07-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Yes. It is loose and airy and will be enormous. It all tightens up when you felt.

jodstr2
07-24-2005, 09:08 PM
I bought the pattern yesterday and will buy the yarn on Friday.

twiggyann
07-24-2005, 09:18 PM
I just showed my husband the first one before felting. He laughed and said, "It looks like a clown shoe"

metalsgirl
07-25-2005, 04:08 PM
I am waiting for my yarn to arrive from knitpicks and can't wait to start!!

blueslady
07-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Oh my God
I started the clogs and I'm already confussed. No problem with the first row since it's just a knit row. But on second row where it says W&T
I followed what I understood on her note about W&T to work to turning point, slip next st. purl wise onto right needle, bring yarn forward between needles, return slipped st. to left needle, turn to work in the other direction. Wow. I worked to the end which to me is the turning point, but then it says you go to the other direction, so that means you start on 3rd row and 3rd row is a knit row. I'm lost. decided to turn my pc on and ask for help. Doesn't seem right. Plz help. I'm so sorry I'm lost so soon. Rebecca grrrrrrrrrrrr :(

Ingrid
07-25-2005, 09:32 PM
It is right. Welcome to the world of short row shaping. You did the wrap and turn correctly, now you're knitting in the other direction. Trust the pattern.
Just make sure you keep track of your stitches. I had to start over on this row because it's so long. You keep going back and forth. It doesn't become row 3 until you finish the infinite row 2.

cmk
07-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Blueslady - I'm happy to see that you didn't give up! As Ingrid says, Row 2 seems to go on forever. I'll do you row 2's if you do my tacking! (lol)

Happy knitting
Carolyn

blueslady
07-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Hi Ingrid
You come to my rescue as always, thanks so much. I do know about short rows but her inst. are very confussing, why doesn't she just say start short row here lol.
Ok so then the turning point is exactly where she typed W&T right? That's where the short row starts. Please don't go offline until you read this. I'm waiting until you answer so I can go back to the clogs. Thanks so much Ingrid. I TRULY appreciate your help. :)

blueslady
07-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi CMK
What is tacking?
I have to get this darn pattern, even if it kills me. I will never give up. As long as I have you guys to help me. I'm so thrilled and thankful for this site. It's like knitters died and went to heaven. I love you guys. Rebecca :happydance:

Ingrid
07-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Yes, she says wrap and turn. So you turn. You knit for the next 33 (or your size) stitches, wrap and turn again. Knit back in the other direction and continue to the end of row 2.

I have a feeling if she said "Now we have the short row shaping, people would be yelling 'What! What's short row shaping!" This way you just follow blindly and trust the outcome.

I'll be around.

blueslady
07-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Thanks Ingrid
Now I can get offline and get to my knitting. It's hot and humid here and this cascade has my face itching already. Good nite and thank you again.
Will keep you posted tomorrow if I got it or didn't. I think this is the worse row though, seem's like it. The rest to the 7th row seem easy. Will see you after that lol for sure. nite. Rebecca :)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-25-2005, 09:47 PM
omg knitpicks should be giving us a discount for all the money we're send to them!!!!

I wonder how these woul dbe in the merino style...I LOVE how soft and flexible, and non-fuzzy, the merino is after felting. It might not be sturdy enough for clogs though... :thinking: hmm... if i didn't have 10 more pairs to make (yeah I haven't started #2 yet, I needed a break!) I'd do some experimenting.

KellyK
07-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Trust the pattern. Just make sure you keep track of your stitches.

Maybe some hypnosis will help everyone?

TRUSSSST THE PAAAAAATERRRRRNNNNNNN!!!!

twiggyann
07-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Wow, that was a quick knit. I finished the knitting of the PAIR in less than 48 hours (did a single sole on purpose). Felted them today and I LOVE THEM so much more than the Donna Wellman pattern.

snephenie
07-26-2005, 03:40 AM
Wow, that was a quick knit. I finished the knitting of the PAIR in less than 48 hours (did a single sole on purpose). Felted them today and I LOVE THEM so much more than the Donna Wellman pattern.

Come on Twiggy...you know we want to see a pic! :)

blueslady
07-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Good morning Ingrid
I did it. But when I changed color after the 7th row. On the toe and instep shaping... I followed the pattern when she says turn I thought she meant wrap and turn if not it would leave a hole right? should I have just turned lke she says? does she want a hole there?

Either way I wrap and turn after each row, looked like I was doing it right, but some how since I had to be counting to make sure I had the right sts on the needle I must have turned the wrong way, lol....oh my God. What an idiot. The front of the foot was done right though lol. But didn't know where I went wrong so had to rip.

I went as far as row 33 and decided to see what it looked like. Well you can imagine. All the knitting was on the side and nothing on the other. Had to rip it all out. My husband turned the darn TV on so I have to blame it on that. How can I be that stupid. Now since I had to rip to where I changed the color of yarn. I might as well find out if on the instep I just TURN at each end or WRAP AND TURN. I'm starting to hate this pattern. I have to spend the day with mom today, she is 86, but when I get back this afternoon I will check my mail before I get to my clogs. I'm not going to stop to count sts. this time. Thanks for being there for me. I should have taken a pic of it and send it to you so you could have a good laugh. Rebecca :doh:

KellyK
07-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Rebecca....you really have to trust this pattern. It MAY look like there is a hole at first, but you will pick up that next stitch and close it on the next row. When you say all the knitting was "on one side" did you mean the FRONT side? Because, that is the way this pattern works. You end up knitting back & forth across the top of the foot. Just do EXACTLY what it says, and I promise it will come out looking like a HUGE slipper.

blueslady
07-26-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm still here lol. Heard the email come through. Thanks for responding. ok so I just turn. That's easy enough.

What I meant is that the front of the foot that increases for the toes was done right. But I think I must have done the rest wrong because I had a lot of knitting on the right side of the foot and nothing on the left. Didn't look right. Darn I should have taken a pic of it. Instead of looking long like it was at first, it went sideways. Remember I retyped it? I went back to double check but the typing was correct so I must have made a wrong turn, either way it's been ripped sadley enough. But it doesn't take long. The make 1, was a little tight, that was the only place I had to go slow. Did you use two needles to cast on? Rebecca

Mer
07-26-2005, 11:19 AM
This is a fast knit! :shock: Though I'm not sure I'll be able to get both done for my dad's bd. Would it be strange to give him the unfelted slippers if I can finish them on the plane on the way to visit him? Then I can show him how they felt and it'll be a custom fit!

Rebecca, I wouldn't worry about the holes when you turn the work, I assume felting takes care of that anyway!

Ingrid
07-26-2005, 11:32 AM
As you knit the top, those gaps where you turn come in handy for knowing where to purl two together and ssk. I think its ssk. I don't have the pattern here.

If it says wrap, wrap. If it says turn, just turn.

blueslady
07-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks. Time to go now. Have to be there by 9:am.
Have a wonderful day ladies. Thanks so much for your help. I will be happy to get back knowing I have the answers before I start up again. Wish me luck. lol :thumbsup:

KellyK
07-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Would it be strange to give him the unfelted slippers if I can finish them on the plane on the way to visit him? Then I can show him how they felt and it'll be a custom fit!

I think it would be HYSTERICAL to give them unfelted...that's the way Im giving ALL of my Xmas clogs! I think seeing the process will be FUN for the recipients, and, of course, there's the custom fit factor!

I think you wrap for the short rows on the soles, but I dont remember a wrap for the upper.

twiggyann
07-26-2005, 06:53 PM
They're outside either (a) drying or (b) soaking up the humidity. I had them last night in the basement near the dehumidifier and the outsides were nice and dry but the inside was SOAKING wet still. I'll get a picture of them when I bring them in for the night.

I can't wait until I can start on my second pair.

blueslady
07-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Well I think I might be doing this right. I'm sending a picture of the clog I'm knitting. I now have to knit the cuff. I wanted to show the nice ladies that have been helping me through this. Did I get it? lol. Rebecca :)

Ingrid
07-26-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't know. . . . mine didn't look like that. Hmmm.... mine was purple.

Its PERFECT so far. See!? Told ya! :cheering:

wildforyarn
07-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Okay, okay, I have the patterns for the kids and adults. Got them in the mail today! Yea! I have the yarn at home to start working on them. I think I will start this weekend. Are you all knitting them in the round, or flat and then seaming them. I quickly looked at the pattern and it appears, if I remember right, that you can do them either way. I would think in the round would be easiest. Now, if I can remember to knit them right side out not in this time! :doh: Last time when I was doing the felted tote, I was knitting right side in. Mine are going to be a dark blue and a light blue with Reynolds Lopi, because I have it at home. I will have to sneak an order to KP this week and get some merino wool. :D

Ingrid
07-26-2005, 08:39 PM
There are directions for knitting flat, but the pattern is really written for in the round. Plus you won't have to seam. The soles are knit flat, though.

KellyK
07-26-2005, 09:34 PM
:cheering: YAYYYY Rebecca!!! :cheering:

blueslady
07-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Ingrid
Yours didn't look like that? It better be lol. It looked good to me, I just finished the cuff. Picked up the sts. for the second sole. I took some notes for next time. Thanks thanks. :happydance:

blueslady
07-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Kellyk Thanks much for your help. Will finished them and hopefully will felt by this weekend so I can post them. But if they look ugly will be my last pair. :)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-26-2005, 11:08 PM
they won't be ugly!!!! they look great to me!

twiggyann
07-27-2005, 12:21 AM
*drum roll please*

I did a single sole on these because I wanted to compare the look. I like them even with the single sole.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-27-2005, 12:47 AM
ooooooo purty!!!!!!!!

:cheering:

KellyK
07-27-2005, 07:09 AM
They look GREAT! :cheering:

Ingrid
07-27-2005, 07:44 AM
Fantastic! Congratulations! :D

wildforyarn
07-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Twiggy, those look great! I am starting mine this weekend and looking forward to finishing them and putting them on my feet! :D

Carol_OH
07-27-2005, 11:22 AM
I love these clogs you are are doing - my question is though (and probably an odd one) is that do they end up smelling? I had some LLBean felted clogs once and if they get wet/sweaty they STINK. I guess because these are all yarn (including the sole) you can wash them easily enough, but the ones I had had a hard sole so I had to toss them.

Odd question for the morning - sorry! :oops:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-27-2005, 02:04 PM
When I was felting the WOTA clogs last week, my whole (tiny) basement smelled like a wet dog! But once they were dry they didn't stink at all.

blueslady
07-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Your clogs are beautiful. Mine are not felted yet but I can tell by looking at yours that I did them right, mine has a roll in the cuff which I thought I did wrong. The second sole looks weird though, hopefully after felting that goes away. Got it done last night with all this heat. Will start the second one hopefully they will be the same size lol. Have to get to it before I forget how I did the first. My pea brain you know lol.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-27-2005, 06:23 PM
blueslady did yousee my post earlier about knitting the second sole? If you don't knit them both the same way they will come out looking funky after felting. YOu either knit them both with the first sole facing UP, or facing down... but ifyou do one of each your bumper will be wierd looking. If you remember whatyou did for the first one, make a note or whatever so you do the same thing for the second clog!

blueslady
07-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi Hildigard
The pattern said to make the second one exactly the same so I did then since they have you pick up sts. around the first one, then I followed how to knit them using both circular needles without casting off. Then you do another row right? and that last row then casting off is what looks weird.

MaggieL
07-27-2005, 06:28 PM
I like them twiggyyann. I did the same thing on accident. Yours look great. :thumbsup: I :heart: the color.

blueslady
07-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Hildegard
I guess you would call it a bumper? that last row for the second sole???

KellyK
07-27-2005, 06:29 PM
The pattern calls it a bumper.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-27-2005, 06:33 PM
well then if you did them both the same all will be well!!!!

blueslady
07-27-2005, 06:39 PM
You know where you sew the cuff together that looks like a roll. The sole was not put together that way, so will it lay flat with that one row and cast off? it looks like a half roll since it's open. Is that right? it looks weird to me. I thought the sole would be flat like the first one

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-27-2005, 06:43 PM
yes, i think so. it's hard to tell for sure without a picture! But the cuff should be rolled and the sole should NOT.

blueslady
07-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Pic coming up just remember it's not felted yet.

blueslady
07-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Well here are the little darlings everyone is crazy about. I can put my husbands size 12 into mine. I'm only a size 61/2
Can you tell where the bottom wants to roll? is that correct?

blueslady
07-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Here is the top part

Ingrid
07-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Well here are the little darlings everyone is crazy about. I can put my husbands size 12 into mine. I'm only a size 61/2
Can you tell where the bottom wants to roll? is that correct?

When you say roll, do you mean the bumper? I did a bumper and there was no rolling, per se. It kind of stuck out before felting, but now it looks kind of like a felted icord.

It'll turn out fine. Don't worry!

blueslady
07-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Yep that's what I mean. Since it's not close up like the cuff it's just open it sticks out. Looks ugly but after felting I guess it shrinks down. It's hot as hell and humid here, but have to get started on the other one. I'm dying to see them felted. I think next pair I will make them same color

KellyK
07-27-2005, 07:34 PM
That clog looks GREAT to me and Ive already made 3 pairs!!! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
07-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Exactly. It kind of looked like a little flap, but it looks good now. I really should get that dumb digital camera so I can post pictures. I just bought a woolyboard a few minutes ago and a bunch of books yesterday. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a camera? ( I know its the wrong place, but since there are a lot of pics here I'll throw it out there!)

snephenie
07-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Exactly. It kind of looked like a little flap, but it looks good now. I really should get that dumb digital camera so I can post pictures. I just bought a woolyboard a few minutes ago and a bunch of books yesterday. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a camera? ( I know its the wrong place, but since there are a lot of pics here I'll throw it out there!)

I have the Olympus Stylus 500 (5.0 MP) I love it, I am very partial to Olympus though.

Mer
07-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Those of you who used puffy paint on the soles for traction, have you had any problems with it coming off? I told my mom my plans for my dad's slippers, and she was concerned that the paint would come off and stain her carpeting. :rollseyes:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-27-2005, 09:52 PM
i have used puffy paint on other things besides the clogs--extensively, in fact, when I was in middle school, and it never stained anything. It really SHOUDLN"T come off... but if it does it'll just be like little colored glue boogers. Will NOT stain unless it's wet.
you could use some white-but-dries-clear fabric glue, too.

I just had a vision of the sticky things that you put in the bathtub so you don't slip.. i wonder if there's something like that.... and how it could be attached....

Ingrid
07-27-2005, 09:53 PM
glue boogers! :roflhard:

blueslady
07-27-2005, 10:16 PM
I Can't believe I just finished knitting my second clog in the past 2 hours I was away from my PC. It went so smooth. Nothing like knitting without panic and frustration. Thanks ladies for all the help. You guys are wonderful. Without your help and support I wouldn't have been able to make them. Rebecca :happydance:

KellyK
07-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Again....YAYYYYYYYY Rebecca! :cheering:

snephenie
07-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Quick question before I go bankrupt at knitpicks. When this is felted, is it soft or scratchy?

KellyK
07-27-2005, 10:58 PM
I wear mine with no socks.....no problem!

MaryS
07-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Both my DDs are dancers, and I've occasionally had to have "grips" put on their toe shoes if they were performing on an especially slippery or highly polished wooden stage. I took the toe shoes to a shoe repair shop and they put a rubber-like substance over the toe box and about 1" onto the sole of the ballet shoe.

This might be something that could be done to alleviate some of the slipping problem. :thinking: If I remember right it cost about $2 / pair for the ballet shoes. A shoemaker might have some other ideas too. I think whatever they used was clear in color.

Mary

Mer
07-28-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestions for the soles, everyone! I'll just leave the paint off for now and give them the options so they can decide. Then I won't get in trouble. ;)

twiggyann
07-28-2005, 12:25 PM
I've started on my second pair. This time in olive green hand dyed chunky wool. I'm really going to have to start getting my wool at KnitPicks if I keep knitting these. This pair is going to be expensive but I love the color!

blueslady
07-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Hi Kellyk
I'm at the Coffee Shop it's only 10:am but I get excess to the internet with my wireless card, it just hooks me up with the owners network. I love it. Just got your email from last night and wanted to thank you for the cheer. I got both clogs to be the same size thank God.

After my 4 hour visit with mom I get home in the afternoon ready for dinner. Then I will get the clogs ready for the washer. My washer is about 12 yrs old if not older but I'm sure it will do the trick. I found 2 pair of short jeans I can throw in there, did someone say we also need a pair of tennis shoes?

Another question plz. Should I add a tsp. of woollite to the washer?
Have a great day. Will check mail when I get home this afternoon. I'm thinking of stopping by and getting a new color for the next pair.

Forgot I have a 3rd question sorry. Kellyk, after the wash, I check for size and if it looks like mine get them out? Do I have to try them on wet to check the size??? with this heat and humidity will take a week to dry. Take care. Rebecca ;)

Ingrid
07-28-2005, 02:28 PM
I think they recommend a little soap added to the water, the Woolite would be good. I think someone with a front loader used tennis shoes. I don't think they're necessary. I didn't use them. I stuck my feet in mine just to see if they were ok. Then I stuffed a plastic grocery bag in them (Silver's idea) to hold the shape when they dried. It did take a few days.

Good luck! :D

blueslady
07-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks Ingrid
Just got home going to put them in the washer now. Was waiting for a response. I'm nervious. Feel like I'm having a baby lol.

Ingrid
07-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks Ingrid
Just got home going to put them in the washer now. Was waiting for a response. I'm nervious. Feel like I'm having a baby lol.

I understand your nervousness. Mine were my first felting, too. I found that my water wasn't very hot the first time because of the water that was left in the pipes. I had to take them out and drain the washer to refill it with "fresh" water. I also didn't tie the pillowcase tight enough and one escaped.

It all worked out in the end. And trust me--it was a LOT less painful than childbirth! :lol:

mshelton
07-28-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey I just received my pattern and can't wait to get started. :happydance: I know I should finish the project, I'm currently working on but think I will put aside to start the clogs. I'm nervous as it looks more complicated then anything else I've done (of course that's not much considering I've just started knitting recently). I will have to try to find the 24" 13 needles. Do you guys think I could do it on 29" size 13 needles which I already have, or is it important with circulars to use length recommended? I really like all the posts and pictures you guys have been sharing.

Ingrid
07-28-2005, 08:03 PM
You could get away with the first sole, but you really need the right length. They wouldn't fit on a bigger needle I don't think.

The one size needle I didn't have was the 24". :rollseyes:

blueslady
07-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi Ingrid
I just got done. I added a little bid of woollite and it made a lot of suds. I think I'm going to buy the no rinse type where can I get it?
Also it took 3 cycles to get my size. I tried them and they fit, the length is ok but they are too wide for my foot. Do they shrink a little from the width while drying? They look beautiful. I'm proud of myself. Thanks to you guys of course for holding my hand. Wow.... glad they are done.

The first clog was a nightmare but the second was a breeze. I found out they don't have a lot of colors for the cascade.
By the way, am I suppose to try them on before they dry or just let them do their thing. Rebecca :doh:

Ingrid
07-28-2005, 08:18 PM
*Trumpets playing fanfare*

:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

You did it! See? It wasn't so hard. Now how about a Fair Isle sweater?

Seriously, mine are a little wide, too, but they're comfy. Too bad they're not for me, though. :rollseyes: It's good to know though, because the next ones I'm making are for narrower feet, so I'll make the smaller size and maybe felt them longer.

I can't really tell if they're tighter than when I took them out because they were so wet and I was afraid I would mess them up. They did take a few days to dry, though.

Kudos to you again. :D

blueslady
07-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Fairisle sweater?
I did a couple a looooong time ago. Don't know if I have the patience to make them now. All this money this clogs cost to make, I want to make at least another set. I had some yarn leftover. I decided to knit and felt a small purse for a cell phone for my 11 yr. old granddaughter. They are so cute.

I do need a new project for next week though. Have to stay busy or will go nuts. I stress out easily so have to keep my hands and mind busy busy. Better then pills anytime. Are you working on a project now? :)

Ingrid
07-28-2005, 08:41 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Am I working on a project! Am I working on a project? Am I working on A project?

But of course, which one would you like to hear about! :rollseyes:

Actually I'm working on Cozy from the Knitty pattern until I finish it. I like the feel of the silk in the heat, it's portable, and its a nice change of pace. As long as I pay attention, that is.

I have a Fair Isle that needs just some finishing touches, a Dale ski sweater and a sweater from Latvian Dreams need sleeves (really cool patterning, though). Its just too hot to have them in my lap. Plus, plus, plus.

blueslady
07-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Cozy from the Knitty pattern? Haven't heard about it. I'm new here so I didn't read about what the pattern is. Sweater? describe it. I have never knit anything on silk yarn. Sounds beautiful already.

You must be an experienced knitter for sure.

Ingrid
07-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Its a wrap, kind of a lace pattern. Not difficult as lacy patterns go. I'm doing it in a purplish red tweedy color. Its basically a long rectangle. My son's girlfriend didn't want clogs and I she's the only one in the family who'll wear a wrap or shawl. I wanted to knit one, so there ya go. Problem solved. The pattern is at www.knitty.com in the archives under shawls and wraps.

blueslady
07-28-2005, 09:13 PM
it's beautiful. She will love it. It's old fashion but they are back. My girls won't wear them, but I have 2 granddaughters 9 and 11 that love them and I made them one for christmas and also a poncho. They go see plays for children about once a month and they like to dress up.

Ingrid
07-28-2005, 09:16 PM
I have two grandsons. They like dragons and lizards on their sweaters!

blueslady
07-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Ingrid
I have a stupid question. Did you make a swatch for the clogs? I didn't.

Ingrid
07-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Nope. I don't think I'd ever bother to swatch for a felted thing. I often don't for other things. Usually if I'm using a totally new yarn and fit is critical.

twiggyann
07-28-2005, 09:46 PM
OK, stupid question time.

I'm making the current pair with the double soles. How do I pick up the stitches on the sole of the slipper? Do I just pick them up all by their lonesomes onto my spare needle? Or do I use yarn to pull them through? Could someone give me step by step for that?

Thanks.

Ingrid
07-28-2005, 09:52 PM
I just picked up the loops and put them on my needle. No yarn pulled through. I just found the top loop. The one that looks like an inverted u and slipped the needle under and up all along. After a few, I pulled my needle so that they ended up on the cord. Easier to manipulate the needle that way.

twiggyann
07-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks Ingrid!

blueslady
07-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Ingrid and kellyk are the experts lol.

But maybe I can explain it. You turn the clog over, at this time you have already closed the first one right? You pick up the stitches where the last ripple (ridge) of garter sts. all around. Leave them on the needle until you knit a row with the 13 inch needle.

KellyK
07-28-2005, 10:13 PM
I did pull yarn through to pick up.

twiggyann
07-28-2005, 10:16 PM
I did pull yarn through to pick up.

What yarn Kelly? That's why I didn't. I wasn't sure where the yarn was going to come from. *laugh*

This sole is beating my ***, btw. I'm going backwards and before too long I'm going to be screwed.

Ingrid
07-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, then I guess you can do it either way! :thinking:

You know when they say pick up and knit? This is the pick up part. The yarn is the knit part.

KellyK
07-28-2005, 10:26 PM
You use the yarn that is still attached to one of the soles.

twiggyann
07-28-2005, 11:48 PM
It took me nearly as long to attach the second sole as it did to knit the entire slipper! I have to do the second slipper so hopefully I'll have these ready to felt on Saturday. Thanks for the help during my OMG moment.

edited to add: I ran into all sorts of counting problems so I'm just now finishing slipper 2 of pair #2. WOOHOO! I did my two pairs so now the felted clog police won't come after me.

I love the way it looks with the double sole.

blueslady
07-31-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks Carolyn
I found out they don't have too many colors in cascade 220. The next pair will be started probably tomorrow. The clogs are still drying, been 3 days?? maybe this is the 4th and still a little damp.

KellyK
07-31-2005, 11:19 AM
Stick 'em in the dryer for a half hour....they'll be fine!

blueslady
07-31-2005, 11:25 AM
Are you sure they won't shrink more? They fit me now. Rebecca :thinking:

KellyK
07-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Maybe just a SMIDGEN more, but they will stretch a bit with wear, too...

blueslady
07-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Ok will trust you.
By the way good morning to you. :D

snephenie
07-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Blues, what kind of yarn did you use? I figured the cost to be $14 or less depending on size, Im using the WOTA yarn though.

Your clogs look BEAUTIFUL!!!

Ingrid
07-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Twig, I love the color of yours. What did you use?

KellyK
07-31-2005, 12:16 PM
I AGREE! The tiger-stripey effect is AWESOME!!! :cheering:

mshelton
07-31-2005, 12:36 PM
I really like the color of Twig's clog too!! What brand of yarn?

I am ready to sew the seam in the slipper sole but what is an overcast stitch? I guess you just go back and forth between the edges? Obviously, I don't sew. One other thing, what do you guys do if you get off count? I was off by one stitch too many and probably spend 3 hours trying to fix it.

I counted so much that when I decided to take a break from knitting and started unloading the dishwasher, I couldn't stop myself from counting the dishes as I put them up :D In fact, I think I'm counting in my dreams-- geez

Ingrid
07-31-2005, 12:38 PM
If I find I have an extra stitch, and I'm sure it won't make a difference, I knit two together. Shh don't tell anyone. :shifty:

mshelton
07-31-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks Ingrid!! You are so helpful!! I ripped out about 5 rows but with all that turning back and forth, I was sure I would mess up worse. I finally just stitched two together as it didn't seem to affect the sizing section. Ingrid -- do you know if you just whip the thread around and around thru the loops to bind the sole together? Is that the overcast that is recommended?

Ingrid
07-31-2005, 12:50 PM
I just kind of sewed them together. Probably like mattress, just to hold them. I figured with the felting, it wouldn't matter too much. And it didn't.

KellyK
07-31-2005, 12:53 PM
I ended up with an extra st now & then, too....felting is SOOO forgiving...so I k2tog'd too!

And, I had no idea what they meant by an overcast st, either, because I am the worlds WORST seamstress! SO I just whipstitched LOOSELY down the length of the seam. Not so loose that you have big loops hanging off, but I didnt really "snug" the sts, either.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-31-2005, 01:06 PM
i am taking an inordinate amount of time finishing the embellishments on myfirst pair... but they are SPECTACULAR. At this rate, I'll get maybe 3 more pairtrs done before christmas *Sigh*

I have too much work to do.

KellyK
07-31-2005, 01:18 PM
I cant wait to seeeeee themmmm!!!!!! :cheering:

blueslady
07-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Hi snephenie
I was watching tv just got back online. I used cascade 220

blueslady
07-31-2005, 01:34 PM
twiggyann
Your clogs are beautiful. I love the color. What yarn and color did you use. Rebecca :heart:

twiggyann
07-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure if I would like the color changes in the yarn but as I started knitting it up, I decided I did.

It's Araucania Nature Wool Chunky. I bought it at A.C. Moore and supposedly it's hand dyed. It's the yarn that came in hanks that caused my hubby to make me a swift. I liked using it because I used only one strand and two hanks will make a pair of slippers with about 29 g of wool left over. But it's not as affordable as WOTA.

cheesiesmom
07-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Well after reading this entire thread last night, I decided I couldn't live without making the obligatory 2 pairs of clogs. I ordered WOTA from Knitpicks (winter night, hollyberry, mist and mulled wine). Should I worry about the reds running into the other colors? I've never used WOTA before, but I couldn't resist at that price. Today I went to my lys to buy the pattern and they were CLOSED!! :( So, I came home and ordered it from an e-bay store. I assume $4.25 + $1.00 p/h isn't outrageous. When I get an idea, I hafta follow through.

I certainly hope ya'll will be around for all of my faux pas'z. If I only learned one thing from all the posts it's "Trust the Pattern." So, in the pattern I will trust (and keep my fingers crossed, for good measue).

As a thought, I'm a little nervous at the idea of walking on slippery floors in felt clogs. I know someone mentioned puffy paint as a skid reducer, but what about that stuff that you paint on the back of rugs to make them slip proof? Think that would work? (I don't know why I'm worried about wearing them at this point, I have to get the yarn, the pattern and make them; but at my age, I don't want to chance a broken hip.)

I loved everyone's show and tell pix. Hope my turn out as good.
:pray:

KellyK
07-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Well after reading this entire thread last night, I decided I couldn't live without making the obligatory 2 pairs of clogs.

For the record, I am not REQUIRING 2 pairs of clogs from anyone...I only said:

By which I meant that this thread was going to be VERY popular and long-lived!

GEESH! :rollseyes:

twiggyann
08-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Well after reading this entire thread last night, I decided I couldn't live without making the obligatory 2 pairs of clogs. I ordered WOTA from Knitpicks (winter night, hollyberry, mist and mulled wine). Should I worry about the reds running into the other colors? I've never used WOTA before, but I couldn't resist at that price. Today I went to my lys to buy the pattern and they were CLOSED!! :( So, I came home and ordered it from an e-bay store. I assume $4.25 + $1.00 p/h isn't outrageous. When I get an idea, I hafta follow through.

Most places sell it for $5.00 plus p/h. Did you order from lwf1985? That's the ebay seller I bought it from at the same price you did. She's fast! I ordered about noon and had a shipping confirmation by the end of the day! No wonder she has a 100% favorable ebay rating!

cheesiesmom
08-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Yep lwf1985. I already have a shipping confirmation from her and from knitpicks, too. Ooo-oo, I'm getting excited! (Simple pleasures for simple people, I guess.) :happydance: