PDA

View Full Version : Yarn pricing

JGM
07-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Thus far I've bought my yarn from Meijer and WalMart :shock: and it's all been acrylic, worsted weight.

Well after reading this board for a week I decided that I need to expose myself to the finer things in the knitting world. So, I researched and found a LYS by my house. I stopped by today and was totally overwhelmed. It seemed like they had a lot of nice stuff, but how was I really to know? There were a ton of different yarns, needles, books, etc. It was busy and I'm a shy guy so I didn't want to bend anyones ear to have it all explained to me. Plus I know what helpful people lurk here :)

So I guess my question is, how do I know what is a reasonable price for a skein of yarn? I understand that it depends on what kind of yarn I'm looking for (figuring that out would help a lot) but are there certain standards? I'm totally confused on where to begin. :?

Silver
07-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Oh boy... the prices of yarn differ as much as the selection. The only sure things I can say are:

100% cashmere and/or angora will be very, very pricey.
Acrylic blends will be much more affordable and even they are lovely.
You'll find a lot more variety of yarns, tools and patterns.
You'll find nicer yarns at a LYS than anywhere else.

Most importantly, a LYS is as addicting as knitting itself. Be careful, or leave the credit cards at home! ;)

Julie
07-14-2005, 09:55 PM
I know it helps me to do some math when I'm looking at yarn, as in, "hmmm, would I pay that much for a sweater/hat/pair of felted clogs?" I try to think of it in terms of price of the entire project, vs. price of one skein of yarn.

brendajos
07-14-2005, 10:15 PM
honestly, i like to feel it and squeeze it, and as my friend said....fondle it. at an LYS it seems like it is ALL eye candy so the look isnt a huge deal to me, it is all about how it feels and of course the cost. I do find that a lot of times my LYS has yarn that looks and feels better than the stuff at Hobby Lobby and it costs the same or only slightly more. There is a lot that is 30-50 dollahs a skein but as much as i love it, it isn't in my price range so that is no big deal. i would say just buy what you like and can afford...and yeah, leave the credit card at home....lol

Ingrid
07-14-2005, 10:28 PM
I've found that the longer I knit, the more I'm willing to pay. Not really exhorbitant, but more. It really depends on what the final product is going to be and for whom. If I knit anything for babies or kids, I use Encore. If its for one of my adult kids, I still go for machine washable because, well, I know them.

If its for me, and the more elaborate Fair Isle type sweaters have been, I'm willing to spend more because putting all the effort in to a garment and not loving the materials and colors defeats the purpose. I probably wouldn't rush to spend $70+ for a sweater in the store, but I will knit one for that price. There was a time I wouldn't think of it.

But then, tolerance is a symptom of addiction, also. ;)

suziehomemaker
07-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I would say it completely depends on the project. I've used Walmart/Meijer yarns for the cotton dishcloths and Michael's/Joann yarns for baby yarns and Wool Ease for socks and scarfs. I go to my LYS anytime I have a project that's special or something that someone will actually wear. Don't be shy and ask them as many questions as possible. Go on a slow night if you're worried about bothering them. They're the experts!

kemp
07-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Now that you've seen the "fun" stuff, don't forget about internet sources. Almost any of the yarns you would buy at your LYS are online somewhere discounted.

That said though, I like to support my LYS. The people there are usually very friendly and they are the ones that offer classes, will help you with your "unsaveable" project, etc. etc.

feministmama
07-16-2005, 05:34 PM
SO I spend about $5-8 a skien on something like Lambs Pride or Borroco or Lopi. I've seen some Noro for $8.Those are 100% wool, use size 8 or 9 needles. Then for DK or sport weight there's Dahlgren (I think that's how you spell it) that is about $5 skein. but it is smaller and has less yardage than say Lambs Pride. So I look at yardage, weight and compare prices that way. Then theres something like Manos that is just lovely but it's $12-14 a skein. Sometimes I can find a heavy worsted on sale so I stock up on that. But if I want to make baby cloths or a cell phone holder or something that doesn't require wool then I'll get some cheapo TLC from the mall. 2 or 300 yards of acrylic for 2 or 3$ is very elchepo. But it all depnds on what it's for. If you have $50 and want to buy a few skeins of Manos for a nice scarf for someone special then go for it. If yer just goofin around just get some TLC from the malll.

feministmama
07-16-2005, 05:35 PM
PS. I sell books adn tapes and CD's and stuff I don't read or listen to or use anymore on ebay. Then when I get a suffcient enough pot in my paypal account I go buy yarn. That way I spend money or really quality good stuff.

LisaD715
07-16-2005, 08:33 PM
PS. I sell books adn tapes and CD's and stuff I don't read or listen to or use anymore on ebay. Then when I get a suffcient enough pot in my paypal account I go buy yarn. That way I spend money or really quality good stuff.

That is a good idea, it is like "found money." I use my mystery shopping money for e-bay purchases.....never leaves paypal...lol