PDA

View Full Version : OT-WILLY WONKA

Contiknitter Kelly
07-15-2005, 07:51 PM
I saw Willy today, took the rugrats we love the original and we love this one too. Anyone see it yet? What ya think? Johnny Depp or Gene Wilder?
Original Oompaa Loompas or the new? Gonna see it again soon but we'll take dad this time...

snephenie
07-15-2005, 08:01 PM
oooh how was it? How old are your kids? I was debating taking the boys tomorrow...(5 & 4)

They got toys from Wendy's (I think) and the new oompa's I didn't much care for. Johnny Depp is such an awesome actor. We LOVED him in Pirates.

dustinac
07-15-2005, 08:09 PM
I love the original!! I wish this had come out during our date night... now I'll have to wait till prolly its on DVD..Can't wait to see it I hope its as good as the original :D

Silver
07-15-2005, 08:58 PM
The original is my all-time favorite kids movie.

I can't wait to see the remake! I :heart: Johnny Depp.

Rennagayle
07-15-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm glad to hear it's good, though I fully expected it would be. I mean, after all, it's got Johnny Depp in it! :inlove: Willie Wonka's one of my "kids" (21 & 29) all time favorite movies. In fact, I bought my 29yos a tee shirt for Christmas which reads "Honorary Oompah Loompah". :mrgreen:

Nuno930
07-15-2005, 10:07 PM
"Back off you little freaks" :rofling: I can't wait to see this!

I think that Christopher Walken would have made an awesome Willy Wonka though! But who can deny watching Johnny for 2 hours?!?!

Rennagayle
07-15-2005, 10:10 PM
The first time I saw a commercial for the movie (before I knew it was JD), I thought it was Jim Carrey! :shock:

tab
07-15-2005, 10:44 PM
If it was Jim Carrey, it would have ruined any chance at all of me going to see it. That man's antics get on my nerves, and I imagine he would really have felt the opportunity to cut loose with them, what with it being a children's story and all.
I really really loved Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka. I thought he was absolutely perfect. In fact, he and Johnny Depp are both right at the top of my 'favourite actors' list. They're both so talented, and easy on the eyes to boot. :inlove:

brendajos
07-15-2005, 10:55 PM
okay i can say i have never once in my life considered Gene Wilder easy on the eyes and i must confess i think Johnny looks creeeeeeepy in this movie...but i think it is the perfect role for him!

i agree though, this type of movie, there is very little chance that i would have seen it with Jim Carrey. I like his more serious roles (and the premise of Liar, Liar cracks me UP!) but most physical comedy annoys the peewaddlin's outta me! I can stand it for about five minutes but then i am done with it....same with people who do impersonations.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

aaaaanyway....still can't wait to see it!! :D

Contiknitter Kelly
07-15-2005, 11:31 PM
My kids are 11, 3 & 5. The 3 year old held out but wanted to go about 20 min. before it was over. A couple of years ago when I first heard about a remake believe it or not but Marilyn Manson :oo: was in the running. Could you imagine?! It would of had to have been rated R or higher ...

KellyK
07-16-2005, 12:27 AM
I watched the Willie Wonka "making of" special the other day....I was getting the feeling that JD was missing that CREEPINESS that Gene Wilder had down SO well. JD LOOKS creepy, but GW's demeanor in the original, I think, cant be duplicated. And Veruca Salt's golden geese have been replaced by SQUIRRELS! :??

BinkyKat
07-16-2005, 01:04 AM
I wanna see it but I already know the original will be THE one. I'm sure others think that of remakes of their old faves.
I saw a program a few weeks ago, I think on VH1 about child stars and the kid that plaiyed Charlie in the original never made another movie, and went on to college and is a well respected veterinarian and lives on a farm. He says he sees the movie once in a while on tv and gets "that old bug" about having been an actor, but then gets back to everyday life. Seems like a happy fellow that didn't hit the skids after his brush with fame... :D

Aby
07-16-2005, 08:55 AM
And Veruca Salt's golden geese have been replaced by SQUIRRELS! :??

True to Dahl's book. The geese that laid the golden eggs were cool, but not original to the story.

KellyK
07-16-2005, 09:56 AM
OOOOOoooooooh! I should read the book one of these days.

dustinac
07-16-2005, 10:09 AM
"Back off you little freaks" :rofling: I can't wait to see this!

I think that Christopher Walken would have made an awesome Willy Wonka though! But who can deny watching Johnny for 2 hours?!?!

I agree think Christopher Walken would have done a really good job in this!!

I'll have to get that book and read it the squirrel part was confusing to me too :thinking:

feministmama
07-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Christopher Wlaken? Squirrels? Marilyn Manson? What have they done to my beloved Charlie and his factory? Well the movie version anyway. I'm going to see it tommorrow with my 9 year old and his 3rd grade class. Evene though school is out his teacher is a total Dahl head and is gathering kid sin his class to go see it (They read three Dahl books in class this year)

LisaD715
07-16-2005, 08:47 PM
I wanted to see Willie Wonka yesterday, but majority ruled and we saw Wedding Crashers instead. I think I may go one day next week by myself to see it. From the trailers, it seems at though JD is a bit quirky in this, I was hoping for a sexier version (kind of like him in Chocolat....my oh my) but no matter what, I am sure I will love it........the original is one of my favorites!!

brendajos
07-16-2005, 08:52 PM
I wanted to see Willie Wonka yesterday, but majority ruled and we saw Wedding Crashers instead. I think I may go one day next week by myself to see it. From the trailers, it seems at though JD is a bit quirky in this, I was hoping for a sexier version (kind of like him in Chocolat....my oh my) but no matter what, I am sure I will love it........the original is one of my favorites!!

OMG :roflhard: i gotta say there have been very few times in my life that i have found Johnny Depp sexy but Chocolat was a WHOLE different thing! :shock: But seriously, i think it would creep me out if he was all sexy in Chocolate Factory!! eek! Sexy Willie Wonka i think would be toooo much....lol

Nuno930
07-16-2005, 08:55 PM
But seriously, i think it would creep me out if he was all sexy in Chocolate Factory!! eek! Sexy Willie Wonka i think would be toooo much....lol Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking! A sexy Willy Wonka would be just so wrong. Morally and artistically.

LisaD715
07-16-2005, 10:55 PM
I know, but it is Johnny Depp......

brendajos
07-16-2005, 11:04 PM
I know, but it is Johnny Depp......

:roflhard:

Aby
07-17-2005, 08:47 AM
I found Gene Wilder extremely sexy in the original version. I was what... 5? 6? then? I wanted to marry him... and not just for his chocolate :inlove:

And Johnny Depp... rrrrrrrrrrrowwwwwwwwwwww.. DH KNOWS of my mad love for that guy. I think he is such a TRUE artist. His ability to just become a completely different person. Outside of maybe, the first Nightmare on Elm Street or Crybaby(everyone is entitled to a bad idea.. although if you are a John Waters fan, you'll get that movie.), I don't ever recall him ever looking like he was acting. I'm completely psyched that he is wrapping up the Pirates sequels and moving on to the Rum Diaries. Hunter S. Thompson was one of my favorite writers and Johnny blew my mind in Fear and Loathing(my favorite movie).

JGM
07-17-2005, 10:20 AM
I saw Wonka last night and I thought it was HILARIOUS! I love the sarcastic way Depp played the character. It really comes across that he doesn't like the children or people in general. Which kind of is how I feel sometimes (working in retail until recently has warped me). The Oompa Loompas are FREAKING AWESOME! I loved the songs, they were modern and not cheesy like songs in musicals can be sometimes.

I've only seen the original a few times, but I thought it was cool. I like the new one completely separately from the old one. I think Tim Burton kind of reimagined it (but not like Planet of the Apes!) and it turned out AWESOME!

KellyK
07-17-2005, 11:52 AM
I found Gene Wilder extremely sexy in the original version.

Sorry....that whole rowboat scene took Gene Wilder directly off of my little-girl-dream-husband list.

There's no earthly way of knowingggg.
Which direction we are goinggggg.
There's no knowing where we're rowingggg.
or which way the river's flowingggg.
Is it raining, is it snowing, is a hurricane a-blowing.
Not a speck of light is showing.
So the danger must be growing.
ARE THE FIRES OF HELL A-GLOWING?
FOR THE ROWERS ARE STILL ROWING!
AND THEY'RE CERTAINLY NOT SHOWING
ANY SIGN THAT THEY ARE SLOWING!!!!

:oo: SCARY!!!!! :oo:

kazfam
07-17-2005, 01:03 PM
I really dig that JD and Tim Burton bring so much artistry into their craft of acting and film-making. DH wasn't that thrilled w/ the movie, but he's not that into anything Tim Burton has done. My daughters, 6 & 10, loved the movie. Watching it, I felt like I do when knitting a fine hand dyed yarn - surprises around every twist of the yarn.

~ Jen ~

koolbreeze
07-17-2005, 10:33 PM
JOHNNY IS SO FINE!!! :heart: :inlove:

kemp
07-18-2005, 10:52 AM
I have to go see this after hearing the comments. I always loved the original as a kid. Funny though, I never remember Gene being creepy/or that I was afraid of him??? :doh: I'll have to rent that again first so I can compare and refresh my memory.

brendajos
07-18-2005, 11:00 AM
I have to go see this after hearing the comments. I always loved the original as a kid. Funny though, I never remember Gene being creepy/or that I was afraid of him??? :doh: I'll have to rent that again first so I can compare and refresh my memory.

yeah the only scene i remember being remotely creepy is the scene on the boat but it never really bothered me much more than just being an annoying scene. i always skip it when i watch it again now cuz it annoys me so much.

thehomelessguy
07-20-2005, 07:53 AM
I didn't really enjoy all the back story of willy wonka - the message of which has been done so many times in other movies, it didn't fit the story, or the pace of the movie. And I thought the moral lessons concerning each of the kids came off as vague, and the ompa songs, though great, didn't seem to convey the intended message very well.

The first movie was better made. But, Hey, Mr Depp has got a couple more Pirate movies coming - one of his best rolls to date.

Phretys
07-20-2005, 02:12 PM
The movie was hilarious -- I loved it! Except for the backstory, it is more true to the book than the 1971 movie which had changed the squirrels to geese and converted Willy into Charlie's father figure. Danny Elfman's music was fabulous, as usual, the only problem being that it was hard to understand the lyrics half the time. But the Bollywood production numbers with different music genres each time were entertaining.

humblestumble
07-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Well, Johnny Depp was creepy to me in this movie, but in a different way thatn the first Willy (gene)...We all thought it was strange that he had a greenish hue to him though. I don't think he is at all "sexy" in this movie...but he is a great actor.

I loved this movie, and I love the original. There were parts missing from this movie than the first, but that's okay. it makes them seem more different, like completely different movies. It's exactly like different artistic approaches to puss in boots and stuff like that. You may like one version better but you still like the story.

They did add a backstory, and I remember watching something on VH1 the other day and I think they said that wasnt in the book at all. But it does make sense.

Depp is sarcastic, and childish, with a creepy smile. The oompas are completely different and the songs sound more choir-ish in this one, and have a more 70-80s feel of genres that they sing. At least that's how it came across to me. I liked the oompas tho, it was just as if I was watching a completely different movie.

Also, some of the parents that go with the kids are different than the first movie (IE...a dad goes instead of a mom) And Violet is a gymnastic bubble gum champion? The original she was kinda plump to begin with, now she's really tiny and she looks like a wannabe barbie along with her mom.

It was a cute movie, and you could definitely tell it was Tim Burton's work. I saw a preview of another movie that he's coming out with too, called the Corpse Bride. looks just like Nightmare Before Christmas. And Johnny Depp is in that as well.

:happydance: I begged my boyfriend to take me to Charlie and the Choc Factory, and I'm glad he did.

feministmama
07-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Johnny Depp. Can you say Micheal Jackson? He had that same whispering thing going on. And he was so impish and nervous I didn't think it was funny at all. I thought it was annoying. And the oompa loompas, a group of colonized brown people? (And all men?) Don't get me started. I didn't get the backstory with the dad. It didn't seem to reveal anything to me. I thought the other kids and there parents were too surface. Thier stories didn't seem deep enough for Charlie to get the moral of the sory like the original film or the book. The book was creepy as hell (we read it as a family and my son read it in school. He's been reading a lot of Dahl in school) and the Gene Wilder movie was a lot more creepy and Wilder had a lot more sinister quality to him. Depp was just too light. Like he was walking on eggshells the whole time. If I had never read the book or seen the first version, I guess this movie would still just be OK. I was dissapointed.

amp926
07-21-2005, 01:41 AM
That is so funny Femmy... My husband was just saying the same thing about Jonny Depp and Michael Jackson!

dustinac
07-21-2005, 09:03 AM
:roflhard: My dh and I were just talking about this the hair and other similarities :roflhard:

punkhippiemom
07-21-2005, 01:37 PM
The whole Michael Jackson thing is one of the reasons I didn't want to see the movie ( and I am a huge fan of Roald Dahl), Depp just looked a little too creepy to me, but once you get past the resemblance he actually does really well.

I wish they had left out all of the Wonka backstory, it didn't make much sense to me to go so closely with the book (and thank goodness they didn't add that bit with Charlie and Grampa Joe drinking the soda - to me, as a kid, that was really confusing - Charlie did something he wasn't supposed to, why didn't he get kicked out and get an Oompa Loompa song too? That would have only been fair...) and then add the backstory that really contributed nothing to the movie, except maybe a reason why Wonka loved chocolate so much, but who needs a reason to love chocolate???

But, then again, I am one of those obnoxious people who wants the movie to be exactly like the book - otherwise what's the point? (I've seen too many good Stephen King books get ruined the minute they were turned into a movie...biggest exceptions being the Green Mile and Stand By Me, of course... oh yeah, and Shawshank redemption... but anyway...)

I was a little leery of taking my boys to see it (3 and 5) because the original scared the pants off of me... I had nightmares about getting stuck in the chocolate tube...brrr...) but they actually responded pretty well, better than I thought they would.
Re the Oompa Loompas... It was cool that they were a little more hip this time around, but who can resist the catchy tune from the original OL's...
"Oompa - Loompa - doobity doo - here's another - lesson for you..."
It just sticks in your head.

brendajos
07-21-2005, 01:48 PM
here is something i have never understood from the first movie (and believe me ...i love it and watch it about as often as i watch my HP movies...which is a LOT!)

How does mom NOT get peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeved at Grandpa Joe, who lays around for YEARS in bed suckin' her dry with his tobacco habit and inability to do anything productive around the house to help her out, when he suddenly jumps outta bed and is able to walk around like a normal old man so he can go to the chocolate factory? sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh

:rollseyes:

punkhippiemom
07-21-2005, 02:00 PM
How does mom NOT get peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeved at Grandpa Joe, who lays around for YEARS in bed suckin' her dry with his tobacco habit and inability to do anything productive around the house to help her out, when he suddenly jumps outta bed and is able to walk around like a normal old man so he can go to the chocolate factory? sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
You have to check this out
Grandpa Joe Is Evil (http://www.saynotograndpajoe.com)

brendajos
07-21-2005, 02:08 PM
lol...that is EXACTLY what i am saying. (i just read the "slacker" part of it!) and yet they are all excited about this.

If i were mom i would be beatin' the other ones while charlie and grandpa joe were gone to see if the others were holdin' out too!

okay no i wouldn't but i would certainly be givin' them the look!

Aby
07-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Here's a thought. I would suspect that a person living in a bed for twenty years without the use of their legs would likely have severe muscle atrophy and would be physically unable to stand, no matter how excited or full of energy, they became. But, then again, it's just a fantasy. We really could sit and nitpick every book/movie, ever made. mmmm knitpick... um gotta go :hiding:

Silver
07-21-2005, 03:48 PM
I think you're all nuts.

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of my all time favorite movies.
(plus)
I love Johnny Depp
(plus)
I love Tim Burton movies
(plus)
Johnny Depp works well in Tim Burton movies. Hello, did you see Edward Scissorhands??
(equals)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a great remake.
(therefore)
You're all crazy.
(and)
It's ok if I live in my own little world. At least the voices agree with me.
:mrgreen:

Aby
07-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Wait a tic... I'm also a huge Dahl fan(loved James and the Giant Peach and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator and The Witches and Matilda and on and on) and LOVED the original movie and can't wait to see the newest one, and I think Tim Burton is a GOD! I've loved every movie he's ever made.. (did you know he was a disney animator and worked on Fox and the Hound as well as The Black Cauldron?) And I adore Johnny Depp and have been hot for him since his Nightmare on Elm Street role AND 21 Jump Street... Now... does that exclude me from being crazy, oh exhaulted Queen of Knitting??? :roflhard:

thehomelessguy
07-21-2005, 07:35 PM
It happens all the time - old folks prematurely giving up on life, just waiting to die - oh, the power of chocolate!

JessicaR
01-29-2006, 02:11 PM
I pulled this up to get an opinion on this movie and I've found that people a basically split down the middle. I bought it yesterday, Target put it in their $13.79 line up. I don't know if that's good or bad seeing that it just came out! I'm hesitant to open it. I hate buying a movie I don't know whether I'll like or not.

brendajos
01-29-2006, 02:39 PM
they put a lot of stuff at that price quickly actually. I would say that if you are married to the Gene Wilder version you will probably not like it...however i loved that version too. As much as i miss the music of the "original" i really do like this one better. i would say it is a version more for grownups? hrmm...maybe...lol. i don't know, if you don't want to open it maybe rent it first?

i have been watching it to help me go to sleep the last several nights. that's how i know i like a movie...if it can relax me enough so that i can sleep it is a keeper! :thumbsup:

dustinac
01-29-2006, 04:21 PM
I love the original so everyone was telling me you won't like this one.. but I knew going into it would be different.. and I really really liked it.. Johnny Depp is just good in anything lol... so maybe thats why I really liked it.. my dh didn't he said the first was better and thought Jim Carey should have played the role.. he didn't think Depp's expressions were very comical when they were suppose to be.. I have it saved on my tivo where I ordered it through directv and find myself watching parts now and then.. really good I think.. :thumbsup:

brendajos
01-29-2006, 04:24 PM
you tell JD NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I woulda been mad mad mad if Jim Carrey was in it cuz i can't stand him!! hmph! ;) :rofling:

ItsBecca
01-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka, the amazing chocolatier! I love this movie, and the kids totally do! I bought it for them a few weeks ago! :happydance:

punkhippiemom
01-29-2006, 07:37 PM
rofl - my kids sing it "the amazing chocolate tears" - no amount of explaining will get them to say it differently... so I started teasing them by singing "the amazing chocolate ears" :roflhard: :twisted:
Personally, the movie still creeps me out a bit - the burning puppets, the odd new Oompa Loompas, and a couple of 'Wonka's' mannerisms that are kind of strange - but the kids love it, and don't seem bothered by it, so what the hay??

gardenmommy
01-29-2006, 08:08 PM
We saw it this summer at an IMAX theater, and all I kept thinking was "Johnny Depp is wearing purple contact lenses..."

Lindsey H
01-29-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm sorry I missed this thread when it started. Dh and I saw this when it came out in the theaters and we :heart: it. I was a little concerned when we were the only ones laughing when the puppets caught on fire though. I think Tim Burton's movies are pure genius and if I get to see Johnny Depp in the process, all the better. I love my guys to be a little off (know what I mean???). Guess that's why I love dh so much. I grew up watching the original and I always hated the part when Charlie and his grandad floated in the bubble thingy. As it turns out that scene is not even in the book. We let ds age 7 watch it when it came out on DVD and he said it makes more sense than the original movie. Did I mention that I just :heart: Johnny.

knitncook
01-30-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm sorry I missed this thread when it started. Dh and I saw this when it came out in the theaters and we :heart: it. I was a little concerned when we were the only ones laughing when the puppets caught on fire though.

YOu should have been sitting with us. We were rolling through the whole film. I'm a big Johnny fan, have been since the 21 Jump Street days. (Did I just age myself)