PDA

View Full Version : Circular or Straight Needles?

Jackie M.
07-17-2005, 05:48 PM
How many prefer circular needles to straight needles? Are circular best for knitting a hat and is it too hard for a beginner? I just bought circular needles but I'm afraid to try them right now. Should I try knitting a hat with straight needles first?

brendajos
07-17-2005, 05:51 PM
well i haven't tried knitting a hat but knitting on circs in the round has been very easy for me. i started using circs as straight needles from the first stitch...i think they are great...no having to find a needle that fell on the floor!

watch amy's video for knitting in the round. it really is very easy....ya just keeeep goin...

BinkyKat
07-17-2005, 06:00 PM
I like circs for larger items... so far I have only used them for flat projects, not in the round yet. But I like straights in shorter lengths for quick scarves, etc. :thumbsup:

Nuno930
07-17-2005, 06:13 PM
I knit in the round when I can because I am lazy. I don't want to seam stuff up. I like them for knitting flat too because there is much less motion involved.

KellyK
07-17-2005, 06:38 PM
I use my interchangeables for pretty much EVERYTHING...even flat stuff. Having one longer needle is alot less cumbersome than 2 straights.

Nuno930
07-17-2005, 07:19 PM
I use my interchangeables for pretty much EVERYTHING...even flat stuff. Having one longer needle is alot less cumbersome than 2 straights. Oooh plus you don't lose the needle. I am really bad at losing the one with no stitches on it :oops:

Mer
07-17-2005, 07:20 PM
A basic hat isn't too hard for a beginner, I think! Try a simple roll brim hat-it's a great project for your first circular experience. ;)

rebecca
07-17-2005, 07:55 PM
How long are the circs that you bought? You are golden if you bought 16" circs; but if you got 24" or anything that will be larger than the circumference of whatever u r knitting (head) then they won't work. I say go for it if you got the right size; it's really very easy & nothing to be afraid of & there's always somebody around here that can answer a question if u get stumped.

cmk
07-17-2005, 08:57 PM
I use the magic loop method with circular needles for knitting hats. I just checked and there's a video on this site - click on "Advanced Techniques".

Good luck.

Carolyn

Jackie M.
07-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Well poo.....I did get the 24" circular. I didn't even know they came in sizes like that. Tells you how new I am at this. I only bought the size of needles the same way I would buy straight needles. Oh well, on the next trip to the store, I'll pick up the right ones. In the mean time I will practice with these.

brendajos
07-18-2005, 09:34 AM
usually the pattern will tell you what length circs you need (remember that the length is tip to tip) if it doesn't though, take it with you to your LYS. If they are like most LYS they will be happy to tell you which one is right for your project.

Ingrid
07-18-2005, 09:39 AM
I do a lot of circular knitting (avoids seams), but when I'm doing something small I like the feel of my straights. I think it's because for so many years I only used straights and there's a "comfort zone" there. To be perfectly honest, sometimes when I'm stressed, just holding a knitting needle helps to calm me. I'm so weird.

Jackie M.
07-18-2005, 09:54 AM
I To be perfectly honest, sometimes when I'm stressed, just holding a knitting needle helps to calm me. I'm so weird.

That's not weird Ingrid! Any kind of stitching that you love is a comfort zone. It's good therepy. Except for beginners who want to throw everything in the trash in the beginning.

Ingrid
07-18-2005, 09:56 AM
I To be perfectly honest, sometimes when I'm stressed, just holding a knitting needle helps to calm me. I'm so weird.

That's not weird Ingrid! Any kind of stitching that you love is a comfort zone. It's good therepy. Except for beginners who want to throw everything in the trash in the beginning.

Ingrid
07-18-2005, 09:58 AM

Not the stitching--that I know is therapy. Holding the empty needle. I know its not really weird, its a tactile thing with fond associations. HERE it's not weird, my family thinks I'm going to poke someone!

1to1
07-18-2005, 10:17 AM
I learned to knit using circulars and use them for everything.

Ingrid, I find that if I'm knitting at my kids' games that I'm more calm. I'm generally pretty vocal (ok, LOUD) :rollseyes: but while knitting I'm not so wrapped up in the game and am so much more relaxed.