PDA

View Full Version : Do knitting needles and airbags create a danger?

Rennagayle
07-18-2005, 10:44 AM
As we were cruising down the interestate at about 65mph toward Dallas yesterday (dh driving, me knitting), I had a sudden mental image of what might happen if we wrecked and my airbag deployed. :shock: I didn't have to worry long, as traffic all but stopped soon after that, and we spent the next hour alternating between being stopped and moving at 10mph. :mad:

My ds's response was that it's pretty much a given that it's not safe, considering the near simulated "explosion" which takes place when an airbag deploys.

Since that thought, though, I've not been able to get the idea out of my head. Just how safe, or unsafe, is it to knit if you have an airbag? :??

kemp
07-18-2005, 10:45 AM
hmmm....well at the very least no metal needles in the car!!??? Interesting thought.

Rennagayle
07-18-2005, 10:50 AM
hmmm....well at the very least no metal needles in the car!!??? Interesting thought.

And there I sat, clicking away with my metal 14" number 10's. :help:

kemp
07-18-2005, 10:53 AM
AAAGGGGHHHHH! That is a little scary! maybe some nice flexible plastic fragile needles are in order for your next :XX: purchase. :) Maybe circs would be better since the needles are much shorter and the cord can't impale you!

Rennagayle
07-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Maybe circs would be better since the needles are much shorter and the cord can't impale you!

Yup, that's what I'm thinking. Either that or sit in the back where there are no airbags, and let dh chauffer me around.

Home, James! :rofling:

kemp
07-18-2005, 11:11 AM
For some reason when you said that, I got a mental image of a woman knitting in the pope-mobile. It would probably be safe to do it in there!

brendajos
07-18-2005, 11:15 AM
eh...while i rarely get a chance to RIDE and knit (yeah i knit and drive....well sit at stoplights and knit actually) i wouldn't think the chance that the airbags could go off would deter me from doing it too much. Can't help but thinking that if it is s'pose to happen it will happen so i might as well be knittin' when it does! :D

Rennagayle
07-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah, but what if I don't "go", but just get blinded by a needle in the eye or something. I'd hate to no longer be able to knit. :shock:

brendajos
07-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Yeah, but what if I don't "go", but just get blinded by a needle in the eye or something. I'd hate to no longer be able to knit. :shock:

lol...well i spose that could be an issue but couldn't that happen when ya get knittin' like crazy anyway?!?! :lol:

beldaraan
07-18-2005, 11:42 AM
I don't get how everyone can knit in the vehicle. I would get sooooo car sick. I can't read, or play one of those little hand held games or anything as a passenger. I'm so bad I can't even tolerate sitting in the backseat of a vehicle.

VickiIL
07-18-2005, 12:02 PM
I don't get how everyone can knit in the vehicle. I would get sooooo car sick. I can't read, or play one of those little hand held games or anything as a passenger. I'm so bad I can't even tolerate sitting in the backseat of a vehicle.

I get really car sick as well. But I can knit as long as the pattern isn't very complicated and I don't have to read a pattern. You know the mindless knitting you can almost do by feel without looking.

KellyK
07-18-2005, 12:04 PM
I dont think it would be unsafe at all...you dont hold your knitting needles with the tips pointing AT you when you are knitting....they are horizontal to your body, no? the only thing that I can imagine happening would be squished hands & knitting.

brendajos
07-18-2005, 12:08 PM
lol...well that's what i was thinking but i figger i prolly knit funky so what do i know...i can see rupturing the airbag but by that point it should have already done its job anyway! :thinking:

Nuno930
07-18-2005, 12:09 PM
I dont think it would be unsafe at all...you dont hold your knitting needles with the tips pointing AT you when you are knitting....they are horizontal to your body, no? the only thing that I can imagine happening would be squished hands & knitting. That is what I was thinking... unless you had those suckers aimed straight at your heart I don't see a fatality happening.

Ingrid
07-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Last year I went on a long trip and had the same thought. I was using number 1 straights. I figured that if they somehow ended up in my body, I'd really have to chuckle about it at some point because of the absurdity. If I died, well, I went out doing what I love to do!

kemp
07-18-2005, 12:21 PM
This whole senario IS pretty unlikely, but with the force of an airpag who knows what they would do. Enough force might make the non-pointy end dangerous. :shock:

Rennagayle
07-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Though I did have concerns, and seriously could see the possilibity of danger in the situation, I did knit on the return trip home; at least until it got too dark to see what I was doing. I have simply GOT to buy a headlamp before our next trip! :X:

brendajos
07-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Though I did have concerns, and seriously could see the possilibity of danger in the situation, I did knit on the return trip home; at least until it got too dark to see what I was doing. I have simply GOT to buy a headlamp before our next trip! :X:

you goin' for that spelunker look that is all the rage this season?

kemp
07-18-2005, 01:02 PM
:D You are fire today, bj!

brendajos
07-18-2005, 01:05 PM
:D You are fire today, bj!

well of course cuz i am saving all my working brain cells to post on here! heaven knows i am not getting any work done! :rollseyes:

punkhippiemom
07-28-2005, 03:58 PM
LOL who woulda thunk it? I googled knitting related injuries + car accidents and came up w/nothing... you're probably safe, but stick w/circs in the car just to be sure...

I knit while riding as a defensive measure - DH thinks he's Dale Earnhardt Jr, and if I don't look at something other than the road, I am constantly gasping and bracing myself and stomping on the imaginary brake pedal on the passenger side :roflhard: :roflhard: DH gets a bit irritated w/me, needless to say...

When I clicked on this thread I thought the main concern was the needles popping the airbag and rendering it useless... something else to think about...

Rennagayle
07-28-2005, 04:00 PM
When I clicked on this thread I thought the main concern was the needles popping the airbag and rendering it useless... something else to think about...

That also crossed my mind. :??

BinkyKat
07-28-2005, 04:06 PM
I had a gal friend that got a cut on her forhead from her airbag (she was driving), but that obviously is better than the alternative. I think the likelihood of airbag injuries due to the deployment itelf is more than it sending anything flying to hurt you. I don't think you'd be holding the needles tight enough to render the bag useless by poking it either.

I knit on a baby blanket in the backseat while my brother in law drove my sister in law and i to a wedding. It got dark and I took out my handy dany LCD book light I got at Target and clipped it to my shirt and aimed the light at my knitting... VIOLA! :thumbsup:

Rennagayle
07-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Dh and I are planning on traveling this fall, pulling our travel trailer. I plan to buy a headlamp before we go. There's no way I'm wasting all that riding time. :X:

Rorshach
07-29-2005, 01:54 AM
well I suppose if you lost your eyes in an accident, you could always learn to knit blind. A family friend of mine does exactly that, she was robbed of her site a couple of months after I met her, so she learned to knit blind. Granted, she's not the world's most speediest knitter, but that's not what was important.

KellyK
07-29-2005, 07:27 AM
It got dark and I took out my handy dany LCD book light I got at Target and clipped it to my shirt and aimed the light at my knitting... VIOLA! :thumbsup:

I WANT ONE!!!!! :(

Carol_OH
07-29-2005, 09:01 AM
For some reason when you said that, I got a mental image of a woman knitting in the pope-mobile. It would probably be safe to do it in there!

:rofling: :rofling: :rofling: :rofling: :rofling:

kemp
07-29-2005, 09:50 AM
I know, silly me! :)

Carol_OH
07-29-2005, 10:29 AM
hey kemp- that esp tickled my funny bone since after the Pope died, I got all catholic again for a minute, and subscribed to all these free magazines - :shock: what was I thinking! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

*no offense to any catholics out there...there is a lot I do still respect about the church though there's things I do disagree with, and I don't wanna be a 'cafeteria' catholic*

brendajos
07-29-2005, 10:31 AM
okay darn it...no disclaimers so small i hafta open another program so i can enlarge them! ;)

Carol_OH
07-29-2005, 10:33 AM
hey I edited it to a larger smaller font!

:D :lol: :D

brendajos
07-29-2005, 10:49 AM
yeah sure do it now after i did all that strenuous clicking/copying/pasting...sheeeeeeeesh :rofling:

BinkyKat
07-29-2005, 10:50 AM
KK, and any other interested parties... here's my booklight I use in the event I knit in the dark. It has a bendy neck and an LED light. I clip it to my shirt and it lights up my lap for knittin' :thumbsup:

suziehomemaker
07-30-2005, 09:29 AM
That light is the coolest! Have you tried using it up front in the passenger seat? My DH mentioned trying to find me one but I don't want the light to distract him or be too bright where it makes that reflection in the windsheid.

Jackie M.
07-30-2005, 09:40 AM
:shock: YIKES! You drove towards Dallas???? Isn't that scary enough?

punkhippiemom
07-30-2005, 12:07 PM
That light is the coolest! Have you tried using it up front in the passenger seat? My DH mentioned trying to find me one but I don't want the light to distract him or be too bright where it makes that reflection in the windsheid.

I have an even smaller one that I clip onto the visorwhen DH is driving - he's really sensitive to glare, and it doesn't bother him at all... but being so far away from my lap, it is a little dim - I'm gonna try what BinkyKat did and clip it to my shirt instead for our next roadtrip.

BinkyKat
07-30-2005, 12:39 PM
My dh doesn't mind it. In fact, there are times before I had that little light, that I flipped on the dome light. Our car has two, one aimed at the driver side and one at the passenger, up front. He suggested it and it wasn't too bad. honestly, his majesty is more sensitive to lights when his eyes are closed and i am trying to read in bed. the man has his eyes closed and is facing away from me and he gets all harumpfy when i have any light on, as dim as i can without going blind... :rollseyes:
i wonder for those that wear hats with bills like a visor or ball cap, you could clip it to the bill? :thinking:
I know there are tons of different booklights out there, but this one was just right, i believe i got it for less than 10 bucks. i wanna say something like 5.99. it was in the book section of target.

Rennagayle
07-30-2005, 04:17 PM
:shock: YIKES! You drove towards Dallas???? Isn't that scary enough?

Isn't THAT the truth! We had two dangerous near misses on our last trip. I was so thankful that my dh is a conscientious driver. His lightening quick reactions saved us from a bad wreck both times. Then there was the fact that we sat for probably an hour, not moving, due to a traffic back-up.

About the time I first came here (March), there was a thread going about lights to knit by when traveling. Several mentioned wearing those headlamps like campers (or miners) use, and how great they worked. I think I remember Amy saying she wears hers around her neck.

joyt
08-01-2005, 12:36 AM
It is not safe to knit and ride in a car. A sad fact "I am going to kill so time knitting" can be so true.

:(