PDA

View Full Version : a question for male knitters

Miss_Knit
07-19-2005, 04:55 PM
do u knit in public? do u carry your stuff in knitting bag, even if it looks girly? what made you start knitting? ive been trying to explain to my friends that knitting isnt just for girls, like how football isnt just for guys. i have gotten some skeptical looks from that

Icyshard
07-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Perhaps you can tell your friends that knitting was originally a male-only occupation, waaaay back in the 1500s or so. How things have changed since then, huh!

KellyK
07-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Show them all the pics of Russell Crowe knitting. They are linked to on a thread here somewhere.....do a search on Russell Crowe (search button above) and you'll find it!

dustinac
07-19-2005, 07:15 PM
I found a website using google and searched History of Men Knitting that brought up several. You could show these to your friends I have it pulled up for my dh LOL ... Are we allowed to post links to other subjects?? :thinking: if so I'd just post it for ya there is another website that has more info but I keep getting its shut down for a few days try again...

wooaaa bad english thar... edited..

Rorshach
07-19-2005, 08:31 PM
To answer your questions, Yeah, I knit in public. I even carry my stuff in my own knitting bag, though to tell you the truth it doesn't look like a knitting tote. but yeah, I'll bring all along. and get questioned by just about everybody :D As far as what got me started. Well it was primarily due to the fact that nobody else in my family knitted since my grandmother, and I felt like I needed a new afghan. (don't worry all, it's coming, 14 squares left).

Joel
07-20-2005, 02:40 PM
do u knit in public? do u carry your stuff in knitting bag, even if it looks girly? what made you start knitting? ive been trying to explain to my friends that knitting isnt just for girls, like how football isnt just for guys. i have gotten some skeptical looks from that

Here's my answers as well...

1. Yes, I knit in public.
2. I carry my stuff in a backpack.
3. I wasn't getting crochet down. I was trying to do an activity I could share with my wife (she crochets). Plus it's a constructive thing and allows me to make gifts (once i get good enough to do so).

As for your friends, if they are guys... tell them to get some cahunas and get over it. They can try it and if they dont like it, fine. But they won't know until they try it.

JGM
07-20-2005, 09:07 PM

1. All the KIP I've done is in the lunch room at work so far. But I just started KIP. I plan to do more KIP. I like saying KIP. :)
2. As of now, I keep my knitting in the horrid grocery bag. I plan on making a satchel (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTsatchel.html) eventually but I'm cheap and don't want to buy the recommended yarn.
3. I started crocheting in college and when I got good at that I wanted to try knitting.
4. KIP!

Miss_Knit
07-20-2005, 11:06 PM

1. All the KIP I've done is in the lunch room at work so far. But I just started KIP. I plan to do more KIP. I like saying KIP. :)
2. As of now, I keep my knitting in the horrid grocery bag. I plan on making a satchel (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTsatchel.html) eventually but I'm cheap and don't want to buy the recommended yarn.
3. I started crocheting in college and when I got good at that I wanted to try knitting.
4. KIP!

omg! i wanted to make that satchel too, but i saw this awesome pattern with skulls so im gonna make that asap!

Norman
07-20-2005, 11:17 PM
I do KIP.. I have a knitting group I go to on Saturdays and sometimes Wednesdays..

I also knit at the theater.. :)

I started knitting cause my dad did.. and I loved the stuff he did.. :)

My bag is a duffle bag.. but even if it did look girly.. I think I'd still use it.. I'm secure enough.. been picked on all my life about other things.. I can handle this :)

KellyK
07-21-2005, 08:00 AM
I plan on making a satchel (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTsatchel.html) eventually but I'm cheap and don't want to buy the recommended yarn.

OMG, J!!! You havent discovered WOTA from Knitpicks (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420103)!! CHEAP and felts BEAUTIFULLY!!! You can make the large bag for not quite 30 bucks! :thumbsup:

foldedbird
07-21-2005, 07:04 PM
I was trying to do an activity I could share with my wife (she crochets).

Tell those close-minded women Joel said that. I tell you what, I'm so sick of women getting this look of horror on their face when they hear a guy does something sensitive or trying to take interest in something the gals are doing...and then get pissy when their husbands have the blank stare while the wife is talking about shoes. *sigh* some women just don't know what they want!

Dollars to doughnuts, these are the same types of women who complained that a woman couldn't get in pro baseball, basketball, combat, or on a submarine. You don't need a uterus to knit, and you don't need a pointy doodah to shoot a hoop.

Rorshach
07-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Tell those close-minded women Joel said that. I tell you what, I'm so sick of women getting this look of horror on their face when they hear a guy does something sensitive or trying to take interest in something the gals are doing
Yeah, no kidding, it's just more of your stereotypical nonsense, only thing that women can do better than guys, is have kids. And the only thing that men can do better than women, is get the women pregnant. heh, almost everything else seems to be pretty much on equal footing.

*sigh* some women just don't know what they want!
hehe I take it that this is part of the feminine mystique, but I jest.

Dollars to doughnuts, these are the same types of women who complained that a woman couldn't get in pro baseball, basketball, combat, or on a submarine. You don't need a uterus to knit, and you don't need a pointy doodah to shoot a hoop.

Amen, Sister. :roflhard:

dustinac
07-21-2005, 08:40 PM
I want my dh to learn but he won't.. I've showed him the pictures of Russel Crowe, I showed him the article on the Marine, I showed him the website where knitting began, I tivoed Jane Pauley today so he could hear them mention Russell crowe and still :crying: he won't... When I first started he let me show him and he tried... and gave up since then he won't pick them up..

Rorshach
07-21-2005, 08:55 PM
heh, from what I've found out is, as long as somebody has a picture in their head that something is "Female" or "Male" only, then nothing is going to persuade them otherwise. Once they drop that idea, there won't be any stopping them.

JGM
07-21-2005, 09:17 PM
OMG, J!!! You havent discovered WOTA from Knitpicks (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420103)!! CHEAP and felts BEAUTIFULLY!!! You can make the large bag for not quite 30 bucks! :thumbsup:

I was planning on asking if there was somthing I could substitute, but I was gonna wait until I started working on it. Now I'm going to want to buy yarn!