PDA

View Full Version : Booga Bag and noro yarn --Help!!!

krnaslterp
07-20-2005, 01:50 PM
I am a relatively new knitter...taught myself everything from this website...but I have picked it up relatively quickly. If I could get my digital camera working, I would post a pic of the purse I made and designed myself (as I was knitting it) to show you all.

Anyway, I want to make the Booga bag for myself and as gifts for family and friends for Christmas The pattern calls for Noro yarn...where can I buy it? Is there a good online source for it? Or what other yarn could I sub for it? I am still new to this, so I am still learning about yarns.....

KellyK
07-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Lots of folks here have found their favorite online sources for Noro. If you click the search button above, and search on "Noro Kureyon" I bet you'll find PLENTY of resources! :thumbsup:

koolbreeze
07-20-2005, 03:07 PM
But you can use any 100% wool

kemp
07-20-2005, 03:56 PM
www.woolneedlework.com

brendajos
07-20-2005, 04:02 PM
www.woolneedlework.com

wow their prices look really good. have you ordered from them before?

Have you checked out Knitpicks.com yet? People around here really seem to like Wool of the Andes and you can't beat that price.

the only think that keeps me from ordering from them is that i can't decide on the colors!!

amp926
07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Alot of us have used Wool of the Andes (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420103) for our booga bags.

This (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1519&start=0) is Knitqueens Booga bag that inspired me to make my first one! She also used Knitpicks Wool of the Andes.

brendajos
07-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Alot of us have used Wool of the Andes (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420103) for our booga bags.

This (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1519&start=0) is Knitqueens Booga bag that inspired me to make my first one! She also used Knitpicks Wool of the Andes.

ooh i am so glad you posted that cuz i was looking for something in an orange and pink kind of look!!

rebecca
07-20-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm doing my booga bag right now in Wool of the Andes from KnitPicks.com and everything seems to be going well. It's not self-striping; I'm making a pink bottom with a pink 'edge' around the top & pink handles with a blue body & will felt flowers for decoration...all from WOTA ;)

koolbreeze
07-20-2005, 06:51 PM
how do you do stripes??? i have 3 colors for my booga and i'm not sure if i want odo stipres or if i want to blend cause the are the same color just different shades of pink... :thinking:

brendajos
07-20-2005, 06:57 PM
i would guess you would just knit for as many rows as you want your strip to be and then change yarns.

rebecca
07-20-2005, 07:07 PM
BUT....when you are knitting in the round and change colors there is a certain way that it should be done or it will be noticeable! Scroll about 1/2 way down this article in this link & read 'avoid the jog' and it will describe the technique

brendajos
07-20-2005, 07:51 PM
BUT....when you are knitting in the round and change colors there is a certain way that it should be done or it will be noticeable! Scroll about 1/2 way down this article in this link & read 'avoid the jog' and it will describe the technique

psssst....what article?

rebecca
07-20-2005, 09:33 PM
:oops: OOPS.... http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTtiptoe.html
sorry about that :blush:
Okay, this a a very cute pattern for socks...BUT, you scroll about 1/2 way down and it will have a couple of paragraphs entitled something along the lines of "Avoiding the Jog" ..... the directions for perfect striping in the round.
WOW, glad I looked back in tonite :doh:
:zzz: good evening all.....

brendajos
07-20-2005, 09:46 PM
lol...so am i cuz i am near to getting ready to change colors on my bag that i am working on and i would have just picked up and went on with a new color. I woulda been mad if it looked all funky when i was done.

rebecca
07-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Well...you woulda been mad at me...bc you would NOT have liked that little obvious color change...it might not even show up when it's felted...but then again...maybe it will. Anyway, it's a good tip to stock away in your 'tip' file....forgive :blush: me?!

brendajos
07-20-2005, 10:28 PM
it certainly isnt' your fault silly. there was no way i was going further after you mentioned the article so i could make sure i was doing it right! I am just glad you said something at all!! :inlove:

rebecca
07-20-2005, 10:55 PM
You are too funny :roflhard: :rofling: !! I wasn't gonna take the blame...lol!! I'm messing with you....the good thing is, as we said...now you have a very, very good tip!! As you read about my faux pas with my zig and zagging scarf on your pm :lol: :lol: . Happy to keep you from doing that.... :thumbsup:

kemp
07-21-2005, 10:16 AM
bj...I think Hilde has ordered from woolneedlework before. You might want to ask her for more info.

yarn_newbie
07-21-2005, 01:30 PM
If I were to use WOTA for the booga bag instead of the noro kureyon, do I need to change needle sizes, number of knitted rows etc or does WOTA felt to the same size like noro kureyon?

thanks,
Subha

koolbreeze
07-21-2005, 03:26 PM
:oops: OOPS.... http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTtiptoe.html
sorry about that :blush:
Okay, this a a very cute pattern for socks...BUT, you scroll about 1/2 way down and it will have a couple of paragraphs entitled something along the lines of "Avoiding the Jog" ..... the directions for perfect striping in the round.
WOW, glad I looked back in tonite :doh:
:zzz: good evening all.....

thanks I forgot i asked the questtion, but i'm glad it got answered!! thanks

krnaslterp
07-21-2005, 08:41 PM
I scouted out a yarn store in the next town over...and bought the Noro yarn for my bag! Woohoo...gonna work on it tomorrow. Of course I got the one with lots of green (I have to make a "test" bag for myself first, right?)

Any tips on this project would be greatly appreciated....

Kelly

kemp
07-22-2005, 09:46 AM
yay! its pretty easy...have fun!

just in case you haven't heard this already, the booga turns out smaller that what people expect.

JLC
07-22-2005, 09:57 AM
yarn_newbie: I have used WOTA in booga bags. Two strands held together makes a stronger bag, but one strand works ok, too. It felts really quickly, so if you use it, just check it often! I used the same size needles, but I make them bigger than what the pattern says, only because I like them a little larger.