PDA

View Full Version : knitted bottle holder

koolbreeze
07-23-2005, 10:35 PM
would be cool to have for those when baby is being REALLY fussy but you just can't sit and hold the bottle. something that would hook onto the carrier or what ever the baby is in. :thinking:

foldedbird
07-25-2005, 03:29 AM
Do you mean something that would hold up the bottle for the baby, or just something to attach the bottle to the carrier?

I've made a water bottle 'cozy' with a strap that I adapted from the SnB yoga mat case...it was pretty simple. You could do something like that, but attach velcro to a smaller strap to attatch the bottle for carrying, and to make sure the bottle doesn't fall out as your walking around...however I wouldn't advocate something to prop the baby's bottle.

koolbreeze
07-25-2005, 03:33 PM
yeah i know about not propping the bottle but everyone has done it at one time or another. trust me i have 4 kids i've done it all even some of the stuff they tell you not to do... for instance.. all of my babys have slept on their stomach.. but yeah i was wanting something to prop the bottle up. ;) :oops:

Silver
07-25-2005, 03:47 PM
yeah i know about not propping the bottle but everyone has done it at one time or another.
I beg to differ. I have two kids, and I NEVER propped their bottles up when they were feeding. I always held them... baby AND bottle. I don't think the risk of them choking is worth the convenience to be able to do something else.

*Wearing my Moderator Hat now*
I'm sorry, but I would really hate to see a pattern for this. And if someone does find a pattern, or creates one, I kindly ask that you not to post it at knittinghelp.com. Thank you.

Stonington
07-25-2005, 04:04 PM
:( I am afraid I am with you Silver... I was told I was overprotective.. but I just could not prop...

foldedbird
07-25-2005, 04:25 PM
I agree with you, Silver and Stonington. I wouldn't like to see such a pattern, either.

By the time you design/find the pattern, and knit it, I wonder how many times you could hold the baby and her bottle.

koolbreeze
07-25-2005, 04:39 PM
alrigh alright... so i'm a bad mom. thanks a lot

just delete it.

Silver
07-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Now now.. no one said that you were a bad mom. I'm sure you love your children very much!

These replies are more of a response in defense of your statement that everyone does it, when apparently, not everyone does. But to each her own.

koolbreeze
07-25-2005, 05:25 PM
well i'm sure everyone else is not at home all day and night with no one there to help or when they are there they still don't help. i am over worked and overwelmed. i do hold my child and i hold her often. my house is proof of that. thats why i'm on her all the time because i'm holding my baby not getting anything done! all i was looking for is something to help ME out. it wasn't for anybody else. you try pushing a cart and hold a bottle at the same time w/ 2 other kids hanging off it! this thread just made it painfully eveident how overwhelmed i am. :crying:

i wasn't asking anyone to find me a pattern either. it was just me thinking on the computer. next time i'll keep it to myself.

amy
07-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Gosh it sounds like a great idea! But there's a safety issue about it? Too bad, sure sounds practical for a busy mom dealing with a baby that feeds for hours every day!!

I remember talking to a Grandmother that said her grandaughter would cry and cry and was a horrible sleeper for weeks until they finally tried letting her sleep on her stomach, and she then slept totally peacefully. So the gramma decided to let her sleep on her stomach, and take the (very small) increased risk for SIDS, as I understand it. It sounds like common sense to me! Some would judge that, and I understand why folks get sensitive about this stuff, but I didn't judge it!

I think it's good that you moms are expressing what you think is important. I don't know enough about bottle propping to have an opinion, so I won't offer one.

Ingrid
07-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Please, koolgirl, don't take all this personally. It is overwhelming to take care of 4 children, etc. etc. Back when my children were babies it was the recommended practice to have them sleep on their stomachs, so they wouldn't choke when they spit up. As soon as they flip themselves over it's a moot point anyway.

I know of one mother who propped the bottles all the time. I thought it was wrong because she was putting house cleaning and dinner prep ahead of the baby. But when you're in a pinch, and the other three are tearing the house or each other apart, you gotta do what you gotta do. That's why God invented binkys and thumbs.

I tried to prop the baby's bottle once, but my boob kept coming with me as I tried to leave the room! :rofling:

Please don't let this keep you from joining us. Your posts are always refreshing!

koolbreeze
07-25-2005, 08:31 PM
thanks Amy and Ingrid. i think i just needed a laugh. and you did it for me with the boob comment. i used to nurse my baby but she is lactose intolrent and would have bad gas and cry for hours. so i can't nurse her anymore. i was just having a bad day. and it feels like hell (to damn hot) feeling a little better. thanks :lol:

amy
07-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Glad to hear it, Carmell. :D

I tried to prop the baby's bottle once, but my boob kept coming with me as I tried to leave the room! :rofling:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Nuno930
07-25-2005, 09:40 PM
thanks Amy and Ingrid. i think i just needed a laugh. and you did it for me with the boob comment. i used to nurse my baby but she is lactose intolrent and would have bad gas and cry for hours. so i can't nurse her anymore. i was just having a bad day. and it feels like hell (to damn hot) feeling a little better. thanks :lol:
I don't want you to think I am attacking ... but I am just wondering what being lactose intolerant had to do with breastfeeding? Is she so sensitive to it that even if you eat dairy she is still effected by it?

MaggieL
07-25-2005, 09:53 PM
koolbreeze, I don't have children but I sympathize with you. I don't know how I would feel if I had children. But, fouuurrrrr children? You have your hands full.

Sara
07-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Some babies are allergic to breastmilk. I was allergic to most formula, too. Mom would have given me away if anyone had asked, I was a miserable baby.

foldedbird
07-25-2005, 10:59 PM
I certainly wasn't trying to attack you 'on the sly'. I'm much too bold and brash for that. I responded directly to your statement i know about not propping the bottle but everyone has done it at one time or another. .

Again, your statement well i'm sure everyone else is not at home all day and night with no one there to help or when they are there they still don't help. i am over worked and overwelmed. isn't all together true, either.

My children are 6, 5, and 2. I've been married to someone who went out to sea 6-7 months a year, leaving me home at 18 years old trying to figure out how to raise two babies. I got divorced 3 years later and married a Marine who fought in OIF1. I had a baby alone, and he didn't come home until she was 5 months old. He was gone for almost a year. I lived in a place where I didn't know anyone and without much support for quite a while...on top of the kids, the divorce, and everything else, I was waiting for men in dress blues to knock on my door to tell me my husband was dead. I got sucked in by the media and would watch the news for 10 hours a day, hoping he would be alright. I didn't realize my folly until I contemplated putting a cooler next to the TV for drinks & luncheon meat.

Then, he finally came home, abused me, got a girlfriend and now we're divorcing. So, yeah, I know about hardship with kids. I know about scumbags. I'm not perfect by any means, but I do have my standards.

Not knowing how old baby is, I'd guess that she's teething. Give her a frozen waffle to gnaw on, that will keep her quiet for at least an hour without risks of choking.

Good luck with your kids, cherish them. Childhood is fleeting...

Denise

koolbreeze
07-25-2005, 11:08 PM
I don't want you to think I am attacking ... but I am just wondering what being lactose intolerant had to do with breastfeeding? Is she so sensitive to it that even if you eat dairy she is still effected by it?

shes allergic to me and to milk base formula. and constipated. shes miserable, which rubs off on me... go figure. Doctor gave me something new today so maybe things will get better. everythings fine. thanks for your concern.