PDA

View Full Version : Should Off-Topic posts get their own forum?

amy
07-24-2005, 10:12 PM
I've thought that having the OT posts mixed in the general forum makes for a friendly, chatty main room. But I know there's a lot lately, and I'm wondering if people think it's detracting from the general room at this point.

My general theory is that less forum categories creates a closer-knit community, and that too many forums might make us feel scattered. Other forum categories will be added at some point, so we need to choose new categories only when absolutely beneficial. Is this one of those times?

EDIT: For more accuracy, I've added a neutral option to the poll, and changed wording. Previously the neutral was grouped with option #2, so the first 10 votes for #2 includes neutrals.

LisaD715
07-24-2005, 10:15 PM
I think the OT's add a bit of fun! Keep them here!

brendajos
07-24-2005, 10:16 PM
i agree with your assessment. i think that the "general" forum is a good place for off topic discussions. there may be other topics that need their own forum at some point but i think moving the OT stuff could potentially "kill" the general forum. i would leave it.

Ingrid
07-24-2005, 10:17 PM
I voted to keep them as they are for the same reasons you said. I like having different things pop up here and there. If it were all in one category, I don't know that I would always go looking, and would miss some pretty interesting stuff. If a topic is not one that is of interest to me, I just don't follow it. It's presence is in no way negative, though.

Nuno930
07-24-2005, 10:42 PM
I agree. I like them all together. I think this happens a lot on a forums... you come together for a "reason" and eventually you start to get comfortable with the people and share more. I also think if you seperate the OT and the General section up some of the newer people might feel a little uncomfortable jumping right in. I think if you keep the thing we have in common at least others can jump in with a little more ease.

knitqueen
07-24-2005, 10:48 PM
I belong to another, non-knitting related, web forum and there are.......let's see, I'm counting as we speak......FORTY-EIGHT different forums broken up into seven different forum categories and I don't like it at all. Everytime someone suggests a new forum, it is created. It is MORE distracting to have that many forums than it is to have a few OT discussions in the general forum. I like this forum because it is simple and easy to follow.

Silver
07-24-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm totally FOR an OT forum.

Although I do enjoy OT topics, I don't particularly like sorting through to find the knitting topics. I also think that if there were a forum dedicated to OT, it would encourage more people to post new topics. I think when you have to designate a topic as "OT", it gives the impression that it's not necessarially supposed to be here, and therefore may discourage someone new from posting. At least that's what I felt at the beginning.

OT forums are my favorites at other forums I've frequented. It's kinda like a coffee house, where everyone can talk about whatever they want, from their new puppy, to complaining about a husband, without feeling like they're intruding on a "Knitting" forum. OT totally brings together the friendly atmosphere, even creating a family like feeling.

Rennagayle
07-24-2005, 11:12 PM
I have to say, I'm in agreement with Silver. I hesitate to post OT threads, especially if I see a few (or more) already there, fearing others might reject the emphasis being taken away from knitting. I think a forum for chatty type subjects, or even serious ones, would keep the knitting forums about knitting.

I don't have as much time to spend here as I'd really like, so when I am here, I often find myself trying to locate the knitting threads. I do think being able to talk non-knitting is good, and a good avenue for helping everyone to get better aquainted, but I think I'd enjoy it having it's own place.

However you decide to do it, though, I'll be pleased. This place is fantastic! :thumbsup:

BinkyKat
07-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Although the OT threads aren't interrupting to me, heck I've posted a few of course... I sometimes feel that my OT's might be distracting to someone else. I'm kind of a person that is very interested in what everyone else has to say, but worried that my blather might not be interesting to someone else, :oops: even if I have the guts to post anyway. I will try to perhaps keep my off topic items to my blog, that would help I bet.
Soooo, I would be fine with a seperate OT forum. Heck, it would still be easy to go to it for that reason. I have explored other forums on other sites, and I agree, they are really confusing and overstimulating in a way. I find this one the best and most comfy to visit! :heart: :heart:
I usually hit refresh from time to time and have myself set on "view posts since last visit" so I get all the recent posts and they're mixed anyway. If I want a particular topic, I search for it.
Ok, that is definitly my 342 cents! Thanks for listening!

KellyK
07-25-2005, 12:16 AM
I would LOVE to have an OT forum! Especially since there seems to have been an explosion of OT posts lately....

And, Im all for the close-knit (hee hee) community. ;)

Julie
07-25-2005, 02:15 PM
I think an OT forum would be fabulous. :thumbsup:

Joel
07-25-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm totally FOR an OT forum.

Although I do enjoy OT topics, I don't particularly like sorting through to find the knitting topics.

I have to agree with this assessment. I love reading the various topics but with the number of OTs increasing, I find myself sorting through more.

At the same time, I also agree with some of the others that I wouldn't get excessive about adding forums either... meaning I wouldn't break down the OT into sub-forums anymore than I would break down the main knitting forum into machine knitting vs hand knitting. It's knitting. The way I see it, an OT forum would be act like our Blog forum.

Personally, I love hitting the blog threads. But I'm glad I don't have to sort through them while looking for knitting specific topics.

Given the group we do have here, I don't think we will lose the "close-knit-family" feel by adding an OT forum anymore than we do with Blogs.

Just my two cents.

KellyK
07-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Joel, I LOVE the way you articulated that!

Rorshach
07-25-2005, 10:41 PM
While I can see a need for putting OT conversations in a seperate cache, it brings to mind, Just what IS the general knitting forum for? Obviously talking about knitting, but you have another main forum for that, the Patterns help. From where I sit, I see that in of itself, would constitute help for all your knitting needs. Of course on the other hand, you have different fingers. :roflhard: Seriously though, if the two are intermixed it presents a more friendly atmosphere.

Having an OT forum could possibly kill the General knitting forum all together, since technically you can't have knitting, without the knitter. I guess I'm going ride the fence on this one, unfortunately. I can see both sides, and it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

I'd offer my two cents, but all I got is a lint ball and a little bit thread, so I guess that'll have to work.

Joel
07-25-2005, 11:40 PM
I'd offer my two cents, but all I got is a lint ball and a little bit thread, so I guess that'll have to work.

Only reason i got two cents is Friday is payday and i raided the bunny bank.... no piggies here. lol

j/k

kitkat
07-26-2005, 08:32 AM
I do agree that the fewer subcategories the better, but I think we are getting big enough to where an OT forum would be great. However, whatever works for the group works for me!!!

dustinac
07-26-2005, 09:18 AM
:thinking: I voted for it to stay as it is... then I read the posts and what Silver said made sense to me cause I do worry if it will be OT and so I don't post alot of new topics... or would it go better under help topics... then as Rorshach said what is general knitting then?? LOL Cause we have topic for patterns if ya want to share a pattern.. if ya need help with something then that would be under help topics... if ya need to buy something then we have that too LOL so I will keep my vote as stay as it is just because I"m lazy LOL and cause being a sah mommy I have to make quick looks on here during the day and another topic to look under would not go over well with my babies :lol:

Jan in CA
03-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Hmmmm... I hate having too many categories to sort through personally. In other sites where they have lots of different categories I find people tend to hang out more in one area and they tend to not get as involved.

I actually thought that was what the general category was for anyway. We've got a forum for WIP and FOs, Questions, Patterns, Knit-a-longs, Blogs, spinning and buy/sell...what else would go in general if not OTs, hellos, help not related to knitting, etc?????

jhelanee
03-08-2006, 09:03 PM
I voted to keep things like they are. As others mentioned, we already have several knitting-topic specific forums and I worry about sub-dividing things too much. I have always viewed the General Forum as the discussions that would be going on if we were all knitting together at some ginormous LYS or coffee shop. So to me the OT posts are just a part of that discussion and I am not bothered by them. Also, since I usually use the "display posts since last visit" feature to do my forum browsing the differenc catagories are all mixed up anyway.

That being said, if the number of OT threads continues to increase to the point where they are over half the posts in that forum it may be time to split them off. But for now I like it the way it is.

Jan in CA
03-08-2006, 09:35 PM
I have always viewed the General Forum as the discussions that would be going on if we were all knitting together at some ginormous LYS or coffee shop. So to me the OT posts are just a part of that discussion

EXACTLY! Very well put! :happydance:

brendajos
03-08-2006, 09:41 PM
did i miss something? are we thinking about doing this again? I don't mind either way if we do really but the more forums i have to click on, the less likely i am to click on them. it is the true definition of lazy when clicking becomes too much work! :rofling:

geekgolightly
03-08-2006, 09:52 PM
im from a forum that grew from a very tiny community to one of the largest on the web. im a mod there. its interesting to see a forum grow and change, some ideas you try and they dont work out, some you try hesitantly and they are fabulous.

i think that an off topic forum wont make this particular community scattered because that will be the coffee hangout/breakroom area, but none of us would be here without knitting. we will alwqays visit the knitting sections. now if you further subgroup off topic discussions, to say arts and entertainment and music etc etc etc then i can see fragmentation, but making an off topic area is an excellent idea, IMHO.

CateKnits
03-08-2006, 10:08 PM
I didn't read through all the responses, so forgive me if this has been said, but I agree with the thought that less forum categories makes for a closer-knit group. Also, some off topic categories aren't entirely off topic. It's sometimes hard to make that distinction. If I mention something knit in my post about something unrelated, is it on topic or off? Are crochet and weaving and other craft things on topic or off? Is talking about what I like to eat/watch/listen to while I'm knitting on topic or off?

njknitter
03-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Keep them in general...I don't think I'd spend time perusing the off topic forum and would certainly miss out!!

Lynn

bjc1050
03-09-2006, 10:18 AM
I like the General Knitting forum just the way it is...incuding OT subjects. There are already forums for more specific topics...Patterns, FOs, etc. The General Knitting seems friendlier with OTs. I also belong to the GardenWeb forums although I hadn't visited for quite a while until yesterday. They've expanded topic categories so much that I'm not sure I'm interested in visiting as regularly as I used to.

nicolethegeek
03-09-2006, 10:30 AM
I voted to keep the forums as they are. I find that the General forum is like a coffee klatch, where knitting is the reason we got together, but not the only thing we talk about.

As with any forum, list or whatever, I find that good subject lines are the most critical. I scan the subjects and omit the ones I have no interest in, or know nothing about.

knitncook
03-09-2006, 11:47 AM
I voted to keep them as is. Here's my reasoning. I've been on other hobbyist forums before that have eventually gotten larger and the OT threads ended up in their own forum. The sense of community was lost and the OT forum always seemed to get nasty. Lots of political, religious, social debates formed and soon I had no interest in reading the OT forums and then lost interest in the forum totally because I didn't feel like I knew people. For some reason the forums where OT discussions remained in the general area they seemed to stay polite. I've seen this forum broach some possibly explosive topics yet maintain a sense of respect. NO name calling, flaming, ridiculing, etc. It also seems that the majority of the OT topics tend to stay towards the personal when in the general forum. For instance more about babies, partners, relationships, health, jobs than politics, religion, and whether or not we should buy yarn at walmart :roflhard: Even the ethical wool conversation remained peaceful while still showing both sides of the issue.

I would hate to lose this peace.

feministmama
03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
I think what Randy says answers it all

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10355&highlight=

VictoiseC
03-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Ummm, I think Silver stated it very well.

I like to look at just knitting things sometimes and I would go to the OT forum if I wanted that. Maybe Amy, if it gets to be more and more OTs then you would like to do it. :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX:

Jan in CA
03-10-2006, 04:48 PM
I don't understand. If you like to read about knitting only stuff just go to the dedicated forums for that. IMO the general should be like a fun knitters chat...like we are sitting around together talking about knitting, etc. http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif

brendajos
03-10-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't understand. If you like to read about knitting only stuff just go to the dedicated forums for that. IMO the general should be like a fun knitters chat...like we are sitting around together talking about knitting, etc. http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif

I have a silly question...i have been trying to figure out what made you bump this thread originally. Did something come up that got you to thinking? Someone say something?

feministmama
03-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Something.

brendajos
03-10-2006, 08:25 PM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroan :rollseyes:

CateKnits
03-10-2006, 08:29 PM
I didn't notice it was old until I went back and looked at the original dates. :shock: It's pre-me! :roflhard:

Jan in CA
03-11-2006, 12:01 AM

I have a silly question...i have been trying to figure out what made you bump this thread originally. Did something come up that got you to thinking? Someone say something?

Huh. I think now, looking back, that it must have come up on a search for something and I didn't see the original date. I'm sorry. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I better learn to keep my mouth shut. :oops:

Ingrid
03-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Oh, Jan! You didn't ruffle any feathers--just created a little confusion, that's all! :heart:

brendajos
03-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Oh Jan no...I am so sorry...I didn't mean to make you think that. I read Randy's blog and the fact that this got bumped and all that so i thought maybe I missed something and someone was upset about all the OTs. I really am sorry! :heart: :heart: :heart: