PDA

View Full Version : OT: Word for the day

feministmama
07-26-2005, 12:38 PM
mucilaginous

adj : having the properties of glue [syn: gluey, glutinous, gummy, pasty, sticky, viscid, viscous]

Go here to see how its pronounced http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=mucilaginous

I just wanted to share

Carol_OH
07-26-2005, 12:50 PM
ooh I love Word of the Day! thanks!

KellyK
07-26-2005, 03:13 PM
YAYY! Thanks, Femmy! I vote you post to this thread EVERY day!

Stonington
07-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Can I play? :pray:
Loquacious

Main Entry: lo·qua·cious
Pronunciation: lO-'kwA-sh&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin loquac-, loquax, from loqui to speak
1 : full of excessive talk : WORDY
2 : given to fluent or excessive talk : GARRULOUS
synonym see TALKATIVE
- lo·qua·cious·ly adverb
- lo·qua·cious·ness noun

KellyK
07-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Can I play? :pray:
Loquacious

Main Entry: lo·qua·cious
Pronunciation: lO-'kwA-sh&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin loquac-, loquax, from loqui to speak
1 : full of excessive talk : WORDY
2 : given to fluent or excessive talk : GARRULOUS
synonym see TALKATIVE
- lo·qua·cious·ly adverb
- lo·qua·cious·ness noun

3: See KellyK

Stonington
07-26-2005, 03:26 PM
:hiding: well that thought did cross my mind.... but in the most wonderfully good way of course! :cheering: phew! :D

rebecca
07-26-2005, 03:58 PM
:fingerwag: HONEY, what did you step in?! Look :shock: at your shoe imprints, you've undoubtedly stepped in something that is mucilaginous and your shoe is picking up bits of grass and gunk!! Now it's being tracked all over :evil: MY CLEAN FLOOR!

BinkyKat
07-26-2005, 05:47 PM
isn't the word for the day a bit like Phlegm?
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
here's one...
Sphygmomanometer. Try to guess what it is without looking it up!
I'm off to a picnic and would like to see your guesses when I get back!
:thumbsup:

KellyK
07-26-2005, 05:50 PM
That's a blood pressure gauge....I was in nursing school once upon a time.

Ingrid
07-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Does anyone remember Mucilage (sp)? It was a glue in a brown glass bottle with a rubber tip that had a slit in it. I remember using it in school, so it wasn't a "serious" glue. I still remember the smell. Well, anyway, now I know where the name came from. Only took about 40+ years. Thanks :D

rebecca
07-26-2005, 05:59 PM
I remember seeing my brother or sister using that glue when I was really little, they are 12 & 10 years older than I; I don't remember using it...but I distinctly remember that bottle...that's so funny!

Ingrid
07-26-2005, 06:01 PM
isn't the word for the day a bit like Phlegm?
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
here's one...
Sphygmomanometer. Try to guess what it is without looking it up!
I'm off to a picnic and would like to see your guesses when I get back!
:thumbsup:

I'll have you know that I won a spelling bee in sixth grade because I had been sick the week before and read the medicine box. That's how I learned to spell P-H-L-E-G-M.

I knew it was for blood pressure, too. :D

koolbreeze
07-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Does anyone remember Mucilage (sp)? It was a glue in a brown glass bottle with a rubber tip that had a slit in it. I remember using it in school, so it wasn't a "serious" glue. I still remember the smell. Well, anyway, now I know where the name came from. Only took about 40+ years. Thanks :D

my great grandmother had some gl;ue like that!

Ingrid
07-26-2005, 09:24 PM

Now your making me feel REALLY old! My kids are about your age.

KellyK
07-26-2005, 09:59 PM
I'll have you know that I won a spelling bee in sixth grade

I DID TOO!!!!!!!! I took 10th place at district. :mrgreen:

Ingrid
07-26-2005, 10:16 PM
I'll have you know that I won a spelling bee in sixth grade

I DID TOO!!!!!!!! I took 10th place at district. :mrgreen:

I took sixth at the next level. I don't know if it was district or not. It was in 1965. I barely remember what I had for dinner last night! I won a pen with my name on it. Somebody stole it. :( THAT I remember.

koolbreeze
07-26-2005, 10:25 PM

Now your making me feel REALLY old! My kids are about your age.

sorry :oops: i used it too. does that help?

Ingrid
07-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Much better! Thanks!

Rorshach
07-26-2005, 10:36 PM
hehe Good words, not that too many people will be using those anytime soon. though it's like the word Plethora, meaning many, don't ask, I can't remember for the life of me what the etymology on it is. I've heard this word used a few times, but I figure why use an obscure word, when a known word will do just as well?

Speaking of which, here's another poser for ya'll: why is the word monosyllabic 5 syllables?

BinkyKat
07-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Good job on the blood pressure cuff! I knew somebody would get it... with all the heads we got on the site that know stuff. The nurse that took my blood pressure at the dr. the other day didn't know that word though :shock: . I made some sort of silly chatter talk with her and it came up...

Rennagayle
07-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Don't forget this definition:

Mucilaginous: Relating to or secreting mucilage.

Now, who wants breakfast? :rofling: