PDA

View Full Version : Calling all knitters!!

punkhippiemom
08-01-2005, 10:28 PM
{EDIT- I no longer need test knitters - thanks to all who helped me out :thumbsup: If you would like to knit this top, the pattern is posted here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35115#35115). }
HI!
I am trying to fine-tune the pattern for this top (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2391&start=15) and I would love it if someone would like to test-knit for me...pretty please? If she wants it, I am going to give the pattern to Amy for this site.
It's a child's top, and knits up really quickly - although it was on needles for two weeks, I only worked on it (not counting frogging and all that) about 8 hrs.
I am more of an intuitive knitter, so I hardly ever read patterns, let alone write them! This is my first written pattern, and all questions and comments are welcome-feel free to PM me if you need help.

I'd love it if people knitting this have convenient access to a little girl that would fit in the size they want to knit, so you can see if it actually fits her!
Please please test out the size 4 and 5, if possible, and let me know if they fit or not! I mentally estimated for the sizes, for my 3, 4, and 6yo(skinny!) nieces, but all kids are shaped different - I want this to be as usable by as many people as possible.
Thanks in advance, and let me say that if it hadn't been for this site, I wouldn't be knitting at all... so Amy, here's proof that you're doing a great thing!!
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

~edited because I was so excited last night...and also half braindead from all that thinking...
~edited again because I am a complete computer idiot...

rebecca
08-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Hey Other Rebecca... :roflhard: :roflhard: , sorry...I won't do that again!! If you are about to publish, allow me to share with you a couple of guidelines that my tester gave me about writing a pattern which proved to be invaluable. It's good knowledge to have whether publishing or not, I suppose, because it teaches you the correct way to write a pattern...of which I found to be a bit of a challenge....nothing like scribbling notes on pieces of paper...lol.
She is LYS owner and has been in the knitting biz in one way or another for 28 years and has had several patterns published. She told me of the 2 magaizines that she thought used the industry 'standard' in the way the patterns are written in their publications. Those are simply "Family Circle Easy Knitting" and "Vogue" (not the new Vogue magazine that is relatively new & small in size). I did as she said and studied the way the patterns were written and as a result of her tutelage not a word or abbreviation of my pattern was changed; all thanks to this wonderful lady that was willing to help....so I pass her knowledge on to you ;)
My apologies :blush: for not saying so sooner.... :heart: :heart: the top; you have done an EXCELLENT job, my friend. Sorry, I can't test knit, though...but I'm sure you won't have a problem finding someone :thumbsup:

KellyK
08-01-2005, 10:57 PM
I have an almost 2-yr old niece and some leftover Knitpicks Shine....do I qualify???

punkhippiemom
08-01-2005, 11:24 PM
:happydance: I'll PM you with the pattern! Don't forget pictures, too!

punkhippiemom
08-03-2005, 11:57 AM
OK, I have two knitters - anyone else??

Ingrid
08-03-2005, 12:06 PM
I would be happy to knit it but I don't think I have the word program you mentioned. If you want to print and mail me a copy, I'll do it.

kemp
08-03-2005, 01:41 PM
I wish there was a pattern for "big girls". Maybe you'll adapt it someday?

bekahdrmom
08-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Ooh, ooh, me, me! Pick me!!! I have a baby sister (3 going on 4) who would LOVE this top! I think I have that program...all those programs that start with "W" kinda blend in to me :oops: Hmm, but if that doesn't work...maybe fax? :D Aaaah, I reeeeeally wanna knit this pattern! And I have the perfect yarn for it too!

punkhippiemom
08-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Ingrid and Bek -
I will copy and paste the pattern into an email for you and send it off! Have fun!

I wish there was a pattern for "big girls". Maybe you'll adapt it someday?

I am actually in the process of it - my l'il sis is expecting, and since she lives in FL, most of the maternity clothes are just too hot for her - she's about a 36-38 D, but I'm trying to make it as adjustable as possible above and below for the last months of her pregnancy - and so anyone can make - and wear - it. (I caught myself thinking about how comfortable it would be too, so I may actually make one for me!!). I will keep y'all posted...

Ingrid
08-03-2005, 08:57 PM
I received it, I have a trunk full of Sugar & Cream and lots of down time at work tomorrow. I'll be a nice switch from the 4 1/2 feet of Cozy I've been lugging around. I'll let you know how it goes. And I have a camera coming so I'll be able to post a pic! :happydance: My cousin's son has two of the cutest little girls, so I'll probably make one for each. One's name is Violet, so that's not a color problem. The other's name is Apolonia. :|

franna724
08-04-2005, 08:24 AM
I have a 5 year old girl and I love the top. PM me if you need another test knitter.

Anna

bekahdrmom
08-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the pattern! I'll start it this weekend once I get the yarn, and post pictures along the way. Oh, and here's my disclaimer: I'm basically still a new knitter, so it'll take me a lil longer than the others. But I'll get it done:) And I can't wait to give it to Sissy!

Ingrid
08-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Except for the straps, I'm done with the top. It's really cute and was obviously a quick knit. I did find some discrepancies in the pattern, but because it was obvious what it was supposed to look like, I forged ahead and it looks like it's supposed to.

When I get my camera, I'll post a pic. I did it in purple.

punkhippiemom
08-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Thank you thank you thank you ladies!
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Ingrid, our resident speed-knitter, has sent me some good feedback, and I will be updating the pattern today...
HeatherFeather, KellyK, bekahdrmom, franna724 - you guys are awesome for helping , and since I haven't had any panicky PMs, I assume everything's going well...
I can't wait to see some pictures (specially yours, Ingrid, purple is my favorite color!!) and I am working on the "big girls" version to distraction... so much so that I haven't even started my August KAL :oops: but I will, I swear...

KellyK
08-05-2005, 11:08 AM
:oops: I havent exactly started yet...I have to finish Traveling Vines first.

punkhippiemom
08-06-2005, 09:25 PM
:XX: Git going, girl!
Just kidding ;) , take all the time you want - I am just so thrilled that so many of you want to make it... I think I bored my husband to tears telling him how excited I was... :cheering: :cheering:

- update on the grown up version- after knitting and frogging about 15 different pieces, I think I have perfected a "cup" design... Now I just have to finish the other side and fine tune the written pattern (I keep ending up with too many or too few sts.. god bless people who deal with this aggravation for a living!) and then I can start on the bottom part. That will be a PITA, but it's a labor of love... :angelgrin:

Ingrid
08-06-2005, 10:00 PM
If you can get the cup part done, the bottom should be a breeze! I couldn't imagine trying to do something like that! :notworthy:

punkhippiemom
08-07-2005, 01:16 PM
It should go pretty simply once I finish this darn top - after all, it's just acres of stockinette with that bow pattern.. but the problem I'm running into is - leave the back open, or go all the way around? And whichever way I go, how should it fasten? The top will tie with straps like the little one, but for those who are more endowed, would a bra - type closure in the back be better? :?? I've been pondering doing the back sideways in garter stitch so it's stretchy (at least as stretchy as Sugar n Cream can be) and can just be slipped on, but then there's always the chance of your - er - "assets" coming loose... :roflhard:
Well, back to the drawing board... well, my knitting anyway :XX: :D

Ingrid
08-07-2005, 05:41 PM
My 2 cents here. The best bathing suit I ever had in terms of support without a big old bra inside was criss-crossed in the back. Something to ponder.

Carolyn407
08-09-2005, 04:26 PM
I have Word 2002, and it will open files created with MS Works (.wps files). I believe earlier versions of Word will do this also. :D

Carolyn

VickiIL
08-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey Rebecca,

I love the pattern. If you need another test knitter let me know. I have a 4 yo that would love it. If you don't need anyone else that's ok too :(

punkhippiemom
08-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi Vicki!
I actually have a newly-tweaked version of the pattern that I would love to have you try - I think this is the final version, so I'd like to make sure I've ironed out all the wrinkles for good. I have a little polishing to do, and I'll PM it to you tonight.
If all goes well, I'll post it to the patterns page in a week or so , and I'd like to invite everyone who's finished it to post their comments and pictures to that thread once it's up.
You all had a hand in it, so you should get some credit, too :cheering: :balloons: :cheering:
The grown up version now has two cups (FINALLY!!)and I am working on the waistband... the good part of this design is that it will be fully adjustable, because every part is made separately - I'm really excited about it, but I still have so much work to do, I don't think I'll be able to have an actual pattern for quite a while yet...
Thanks again everyone for all your help and support and encouragement.I have Word 2002, and it will open files created with MS Works (.wps files). I believe earlier versions of Word will do this also.
:oops: Sorry, I didn't even see that earlier when I replied...kids were trying to sit in my lap and type, too, lmao...
I am completely lost with all this computer stuff - I just got a new one, and I have no idea how to do anything anymore - I went from Windows98, which I was just starting to learn my way around, to XP - I am so lost i can't even zip files correctly anymore, so I've just been pasting the pattern into emails or PMs and sending it that way... I need to edit that part out of my original post, actually... :doh: I should have thought of that...

punkhippiemom
08-10-2005, 12:08 AM
OK, now I really feel like a goof... Carolyn, did you want me to send you the pattern??(I know it's late, but Vicki, yours is on its way :happydance: )

Carolyn407
08-11-2005, 04:00 PM
OK, now I really feel like a goof... Carolyn, did you want me to send you the pattern??(I know it's late, but Vicki, yours is on its way :happydance: )
I would like very much to receive the adult pattern when you have finished it. Thank you.

punkhippiemom
08-18-2005, 12:47 PM
OK, I finished (Trinity's mom) Elysia's top, and I am working on a pattern for that, too, but it will be a while... This was the first thing I've made for an adult, and it ended up being a lot more complex than I thought it would be. I still have some alterations to make, lengthening the bottom part, lining the cups, etc (note the not-weaved-in ends in the back :oops: ), but Elysia graciously let me take a picture, even though she is 6mos along with my 8th neice (more baby clothes - yay!) as long as I agreed to cut out her bottom. Consider it done.

Ingrid
08-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Way to go!!! It's looking good! I can't tell you how impressed I am with your ability to pull this stuff out of thin air! :thumbsup: :notworthy:

punkhippiemom
08-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Hey, don't be so modest - I've seen the stuff that you do, and I have no doubt that I would not be able to pay attention to detail and be as painstakingly accurate as you are (: :notworthy:
Besides, you helped w/this one - that suggestion you made about criscrossing the straps gave me the idea for the corset-type lacing in the back, which was what I was really stuck on!
Trinity's Top has now been posted on the patterns forum :happydance: and, aside from tweaking this and my doubleknit checkerboard (that was obviously a creation of :twisted: this guy and I SWEAR IT WILL NEVER END!!! AAAAHHHH) I am *gasp* project-less!!
~twiddles thumbs~
What to do next, what to do? :??

KellyK
08-18-2005, 02:47 PM
That looks GREAT!!! She looks supported and well-covered! GOOD JOB!

(I really cant wait to start testing (although sounds like you dont need me now) the baby version....Im sorry Im so late getting started, but TWO birthdays popped up on me....I never remember these things until the last minute.

punkhippiemom
08-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Things just pop up all the time, don't feel bad - I still can't wait to see the final product, I like seeing all the different colors (and models, too! Don't forget them cute little girls, people). Whenever you get done, just post it to the pattern page. (By the way, I would suggest using the pattern posted here instead of the one I sent you. I added the link to the first post on Page One of this thread. It's much more polished and accurate :thumbsup: thanks to all the great input I got here)
You will kind of have to kick it up a notch, though. Summer is almost over, y'know... :oo:

Ingrid
08-18-2005, 03:37 PM
I couldn't get Ryan to 'model'--5-year-old boys do have some pride, but hopefully this shows the color a little better than my other post.

punkhippiemom
08-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Awww, that turned out so pretty!!! :cheering:
I loooove that color - in the other pic it looked like plum almost, but that's really nice (:
I couldn't get Ryan to 'model'--5-year-old boys do have some pride,
:rollseyes: Ain't gotta tell me about 5yo boys...sheeesh! :rollseyes:
I think the only reason my son shows such an interest in my knitting is because it's something he's not allowed to touch - if he knew it was a "girl" thing, he'd prolly avoid it like the plague!

Great job, Ingrid - specially reading that first draft of my pattern!!! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
08-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Ryan can't wait until I teach him to knit. His older brother Jacob, who's 7 1/2, has learned, though hasn't really stuck to anything long enough to make anything real. I think its because I keep giving him the crummy yarn. :?

punkhippiemom
08-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Well, you gotta do something with the crummy yarn once you move on to the good stuff, right? :eyebrow:
I'm trying to teach the 5yo, but his attention span is almost comically short...although he has retained the little rhyme about Jack... he sits next to me and chants it as I knit...I was working on a project w/a woven stitch, and he got mad at me - - - "Mommy, you didn't 'off jumps Jack', you're doing it wrong!" :roflhard:

Ingrid
08-18-2005, 09:19 PM
:roflhard: Nothing like being told by a 5-year old that you're knitting wrong!! I have to wait until MY attention span is longer before trying to teach him! ;)