PDA

View Full Version : Gift Ideas for a 5 yr old boy?

Aello
08-07-2005, 05:11 AM
Hello everyone :D
My sister just had a new baby, her second boy :cheering: and I am knitting a baby blanket, etc for him. But when I give gifts to a child I always include their siblings as well. I was going to buy him something, but then I got to wondering if there was anything I can knit for him as well. I'm stumped though I must admit. Is there anything that can be made for a young boy other than a sweater?
I just can't come up with anything, maybe it's too late to think lol. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks :thumbsup:

KellyK
08-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Just find out what his favorite colors or cartoon character are....
blanket
hat (maybe a jester-shaped hat?)
stuffed toy (dinosaur? Ive seen patterns somewhere for those)
superhero cape
slippers (those Fiber Trends clogs are AWESOME)

Mer
08-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Here's the dino pattern that Kelly was probably thinking of. I've made it--very cute!

http://www.xtreme-knitting.com/photos-dinosaurs.htm

MrsBear87
08-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Good ideas from all. Some quicky knit items could be a felted soda can sleeve in favorite colors, a washcloth, hand puppets/finger puppets (doesn't Knitty have some?) or mittens.

I agree, it is always nice to give siblings a gift too. Perhaps I say this because I was the oldest and would have benefited from such generosity, but I like to think it's cause I am a thoughtful person!

Ingrid
08-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Another track you could take with this if you're going to be visiting, is to bring a crafty type thing with you that the two of you can work on. This way he gets your undivided attention, gets to do a big-kid thing, and mom gets a break.

knitqueen
08-07-2005, 12:36 PM
How about a hand-knit pair of socks in some funky yarn?

Aello
08-08-2005, 01:47 AM
Oh I could just hug you all for your ideas:D

Kelly, you're brilliant, love the ideas. I think I am going to do more than one of those :cheering:

Mer, thank you for the link. I'm partial to "Mr. Stegs" myself lol, and they seem rather simple.

MrsBear, I agree. I wouldn't feel right watching the fun a child is having when a brother and sister has nothing to recieve. Well you know what I mean ;) Thanks for your ideas as well.

Ingrid, I wish I could visit.. they are clear across the country from me. I won't be able to visit for some time and it is killing me let me tell you lol.

Knitqueen, wonderful idea as well thank you... but shhhhhh don't tell anyone ok.. I have never knit a pair of socks.. shhhhhhh I don't want to get kicked out of the club lol. This may very well be the perfect opportunity to learn though wouldn't it :happydance: they have been on my to do list. and he wouldn't mind if they weren't perfect!

Thank you all soooo very much I really appreciate it.. now here comes the fun part... time to go yarn shopping:D
:XX: :XX: :XX:

Ingrid
08-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Psst. . . I've never knit socks, either!

kemp
08-08-2005, 02:21 PM
those dinos are so cute! I think I'll have to make a couple for the twins.

and *GASP*, Ingrid, no socks!!!???? I think knitting at least one pair should be required for a "golden needles" winner. :)

Aello
08-08-2005, 02:48 PM
As long as I don't get kicked outta the club:D

I swear the socks are right up there on my to do list lol... I just always come across something that I just must start on and never get to it.. honest :oops:

(though I must admit the socks are intimidating to me right now too lol) shhhhhhhhhh

Thanks again all of you
:thumbsup:

Ingrid
08-08-2005, 03:34 PM
I've never been intimidated by socks, or dpns, and I have knit booties. I just know that I'll make one sock. I won't want to put in the effort for socks when they go into shoes and under pants legs. I know some people wear them with sandals, but me? No, I don't think I could get away with it.

kemp
08-08-2005, 03:59 PM
that's why you should definitely start by learning magic loop with 2 socks at once. I can reate...I have one sock finished right now that has been alone for about 2 months!

Aello
08-08-2005, 04:01 PM
that's what I want to learn to do... I honestly believe and know that when I am done with one sock I will cast it aside lol.. I am doing a pair of slippers right now and I am already thinking that when the first one is done (should be by today :happydance: ) I am not going to want to cast on for the second lol.. I am gong to make myself though.
So I figure when I start my socks I have to do them both at once.

kemp
08-08-2005, 04:18 PM
This link has been posted before, but if you want to learn to do 2 on one long circular: http://webdesignsbybarb.com/tostetoes/twosocksoneneedletoeup.htm

Also, Rebecca says she like knitting 2 socks at once by have 2 sets of dpn's.

Ingrid
08-08-2005, 04:27 PM
This is why when I have to knit sleeves flat I always do them both at once. Before the body of the sweater if I can, too. I figure that once the sleeves are done, there's now way I won't do the body! However, I have a couple of sleeveless bodies awaiting my attention! :rollseyes: They need to be knit on the sweater, and it's too hot, so I do have a good excuse. ;)

kemp
08-08-2005, 04:56 PM
I like that tip! Next sweater I will have to try that.