PDA

View Full Version : Announcement An Almost-Official KH Retreat

Licensed2Cook
08-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Heartland Knitting Retreat

After messaging with Amy she gave me her blessing to attach the KH name to the retreat I am planning. (Thank You Amy!!!!)

Here are the quick details, you can view further details at www.kneatles.com

Dates: December 2nd, 3rd & 4th, 2005
Place: Lake Lawn Resort, Delavan WI
Cost: $450.00 for a single room; $375.00 for a double room when you sign up with a friend. This includes all lodging, food, seminars, taxes and gratuities.

Reservations are on a first come first served basis, I have 20 ladies signed up so far with capacity for 30 more. This means that KH will be the majority if you ladies fill the vacant spots.

Due to the impending September 1st deadline I must request that the entire cost be paid for rather than just the deposit. The reason for this is that I need to protect myself by making any changes with the resort as to the number of rooms reserved by that deadline.

Just a few fun details to help you decide...

Knitting with beads and wire with Annie Modesitt
Bohus Knitting with Jan Becker
Spindle spinning with Toni Neil
Door Prizes
Friday night "pajama party"
Saturday lunchtime "introduce yourself" fashion show where you model your favorite knitting project.
Saturday in house fiber market, "shop on the spot"!

This is a labor of love for me, I am putting my heart into planning a terrific weekend for all in attendance. Thank you for your consideration and now let the reservations roll in.

KellyK
08-10-2005, 08:30 AM
OMG I wish I could go, Dee!!!! Ill have to be with you there in spirit and hopefully plan for the 2nd annual!!

kemp
08-10-2005, 09:17 AM
How fun! Wish I lived closer. Hope you get it filled :)

amy
08-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Hey everyone, the reason I'm liking this particular knitting retreat, is because it's in driving distance by all of our Illinois area folks!! (Which, for some reason, we have a rather astounding number of!) And the price for this retreat is GREAT. With the cost of instructors and hotel and food, Dee is clearly not doing this for the money.

I think this location has the best potential for being the largest KH gathering we could possibly do, since we happen to have so many people in that area! But of course, they have to attend in order for it to make sense!!

Hildie? Vicky? Julies? ;) .....

Silver
08-10-2005, 01:30 PM
*in her best whiney voice*
Nobody ever does a knitting retreat or even a yarn show in the southeast. I'm tired of being left out!! WHAAAA!!! *pout*

Nuno930
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Nobody ever does a knitting retreat or even a yarn show in the southeast. I'm tired of being left out!! WHAAAA!!! *pout* Well that is easy... just move north :roflhard:

Silver
08-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Well that is easy... just move north :roflhard:
Well aren't you cute. HAHA.

;)

Debbie
08-10-2005, 05:10 PM
I agree Silver!

rebecca
08-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Nobody ever does a knitting retreat or even a yarn show in the southeast. I'm tired of being left out!! WHAAAA!!! *pout*

*sniff*sniff* :crying: I know

kemp
08-10-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm all for a southern road trip...especially if its in the middle of winter! Maybe we could plan an overnight KH thing for beginning of '06??? Somewhere warm...

misstialouise
08-10-2005, 07:20 PM
:( We never have cool knitting retreats in Australia (at least not with women who are sub 70)...

:crying::verysad:

MaggieL
08-10-2005, 08:34 PM

*sniff* Does that now make it an offical pity party? :mrgreen:

Licensed2Cook
08-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Hello again,

Please do consider attending, you don't have to live close by to attend, one of the currently registered retreat attendees is flying in from North Carolina. A year or so ago I flew to VA for one.

Retreats are great fun, knitters are some of the nicest people on earth. You will be surprised how welcome and comfortable you will feel. Your time is not all scheduled for, so expect there to be plenty of downtime to relax and chat while working on your current WIP. You can even schedule time in the spa at the resort.

Although I live in Chicagoland I am planning the retreat in scenic Wisconsin, so it's not really in my backyard either. Of course I do not suggest that the Aussies make the trip, that would be stretching things quite a bit. I just thought WI was an easy flight for most ladies in the US (you can even fly into O'Hare) and yet still manageable for me to plan as well as being close enough for the number of Chicagoland knitters which seems to be plentiful.

rebecca
08-11-2005, 12:13 AM

*sniff* Does that now make it an offical pity party? :mrgreen:

Maggie, Honey, 'pity' is not a word that exists in my vocabulary ;)

FYI, L2C...what a great idea; were I closer and in the physical condition...I would be there in a minute; I hope ya'll have a FANTASTIC time!! It's extraordinarily nice of you to do this :thumbsup:

misstialouise
08-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Of course I do not suggest that the Aussies make the trip, that would be stretching things quite a bit.

LOL :roflhard:

No, didn't think you *were* suggesting that :D But it would be cool to go!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-11-2005, 10:13 AM
POO!!!! I want to go so bad!!!!

I was planning on going, Dee, after you told us about at the yarn store last month, but I have to fly to Texas in January to do a residency :mad: I just can't afford two trips :verysad:

It's only 90 minutes away from me!!!!!!!!

Nuno930
08-11-2005, 11:19 AM
That sounds like so much fun! That time of year just won't work for me. Good-luck with it!

MaggieL
08-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Rebecca,

It was a joke. :D

rebecca
08-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Girl....I know it was a joke...I was joking, too ;)

Licensed2Cook
08-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I am just about ready to open up registration for a Saturday program option.

It will include the seminars for the day which are Knitting with Wire with Annie Modesitt, Bohus Knitting with Janice Becker and after dinner Spindle Spinning with Toni Neil. Also included is the luncheon and dinner as well as the on site fiber market. The cost for the day trip is $100.00 but if you are an early riser you can meet us for breakfast add on another $10.00 ($110.00 total).

There are a limited number spots for the Saturday only option.

And I still have 5 rooms available (potentially 10 people - double occupancy) for the entire weekend.

If you would like to attend the Saturday portion please email me and I will send you an application, as this option is not currently listed on the www.kneatles.com website.

Thank you.

Licensed2Cook
08-30-2005, 07:35 PM
You know one of your wonderful forum members (SHM) just brought something to my attention that I hadn't really thought about before. I just want anyone that is considering attending the retreat to know that this is not an advanced knitters retreat, it's actually VERY low key.

These are seminars where we all sit in one big happy group and work together, helping one another along. It's kind of like a kindergarten mentality where we will all get there together or not at all. These are not the intense classes like you'd find at Midwest Stitches. I have picked these instructors mainly because they are beginner friendly and very lovely to be around.

For myself, I teach knitting part time at my LYS and I was really kind of hoping that there will be some true beginners in the group that can be nurtured by some of the most experienced knitters, myself included. I am a true believer that no matter what the skill level we can all learn something from one another.

All this being said I really hope that some of you will consider the Saturday option, you will have a great time. Lunch will be very fun and we'll get to model our greatest or not so greatest knitting accomplishments. There will be plenty of time to work on your individual projects during the day and you can also choose to just to listen to the seminars and not participate in making the project if that suits you. Anything goes here, it's all about you having a great time and making terrific new friends

Make it an early present to yourself, come on, you deserve it!

Licensed2Cook
09-19-2005, 06:43 PM
The retreat website has just been updated and I am currently taking reservations for the Saturday only portion as well as trying to fill the last 6 rooms with interested knitters.

I hope to see some of you take this great opportunity to relax, meet new people, learn a few new skills and rejuvenate for the hectic holiday days ahead.

Licensed2Cook
09-26-2005, 07:31 PM
For those of you sitting on the fence I just want to let you know I am down to 4 rooms left available.

I have received many lovely items from yarn companies to be used as door prizes. In today's mail I received a KnitPicks gift certificate :cheering:

Licensed2Cook
09-27-2005, 04:59 PM
I just received a great package from Berroco, 16 skeins of their Foliage yarn in shade 5939 and the Berroco Book 237 to go with. They also sent 2 of their Handeze gloves! Wow what a great company!

I am also down to 3 rooms today!

Licensed2Cook
09-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Only 2 rooms left!

KellyK
09-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Dee, Im glad your retreat is going to be SO SUCCESSFUL!! What KHers are coming??

Licensed2Cook
09-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Kelly, no one that has signed up has identified themselves to me as a KHer so I have no clue.

I did have to reduce the number of rooms I reserved by half in August to (protect myself) 20 rooms but even with that I will still have about 30 knitters in attendance (double occupancy helps) and I can always try to book more rooms as I receive reservations. So I guess I am saying it's never too late to join in the fun until the resort says it is.

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Oh, boy this sounds like so much fun. Lake Lawn is only about 60 miles from my house, too. DH is out on a motorcycle trip this weekend. I might just spring this on him when he gets back on Sunday and see if I can sneak away at least for that Saturday.

I'm terrible at committing to stuff right now, though, because of the situation w/ my DS (he's under cancer treament); but if everything continues to go well, I could probably sneak away for at least a day then.

Any other IL knitters out there still thinking about going?

Licensed2Cook
09-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Julie,

I'd love to have you, even if it gets late I will try to squeeze you in.

Licensed2Cook
12-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Well this is the weekend ladies, the one I have been working so hard to put together. I hope it will be a great success. I am sorry that none of you are able to make it but please wish me well none the less.

I have 25 ladies attending which I feel is a great turn out for a first timer like me, as if to put some icing on the cake the resort called today to see if I could help them out with a bit of a problem, it seems that the group that had the lower level lake view room with the vaulted ceilings needs a bigger space and well they need the room that we are in because it connects to two others making the space large enough to accommodate their large number. Ah shucks, I had to say yes and now we have to see that beautiful lake view all day plus we never have to leave the room we can now eat in there and have our shopping in there... wow!!!!!!!

I didn't make any money at all on this but I almost broke even which is okay with me I am pleased with that. So again wish me well and pray that all my efforts will enable everyone have a terrific time. :D

Vendie
12-01-2005, 10:37 PM
It sounds like it's going to be such a wonderful weekend. I hope it goes really well for you!!

KellyK
12-01-2005, 11:16 PM
I KNOW you'll do well, Dee....and with all the word of mouth, next year will be HUGE!!!

DotMom61
12-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Dee --

Have a FANTASTIC time!! I wish I could join you, and I had considered it seriously, but it's just not going to work out this year. Hopefully, next year a bunch of us KHers will be able to book w/ you and get there. What a blast *THAT* would be!!!

I can't wait to hear how it all went!

Licensed2Cook
12-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Thank you for your kind words ladies. The retreat was awesome! I am so very very pleased. There are only a few minor changes that I would make but essentially it was perfect. Everyone that came said to sign them up for next year which is great, so perhaps there will be a 2006 retreat afterall. You can view the details at my blog and check out the yahoo photo album while you are there too.

http://360.yahoo.com/licensed2cook

I am one very happy lady right now :D