PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite yarn

blueknitter
08-13-2005, 07:56 AM
What is your ultimate favorite yarn to knit with. Is it a certain name brand? A certain kind of fabric (wool, acrylic, cotton, etc)? A certain color? ....you get the picture...(I hope) :lol:

Now, with that in mind - what is your favorite yarn shop?

kemp
08-13-2005, 08:04 AM
:thinking: I like wool, but I'd really like to knit with qiviut someday. :heart: :heart:

blueknitter
08-13-2005, 08:08 AM
what is quivit?

KellyK
08-13-2005, 08:27 AM
So far, the lovliest yarn Ive knit with is Jaeger extra fine DK merino...SO soft and SO drapey....I made teh Aibhlinn cowl with it for my mom. There's a pic of it somewhere around here...

Silver
08-13-2005, 08:50 AM
I have to choose just one? :shock:
Merino, Angora, or Cashmere. Eeeny Meeny Miney Mo...

Julie
08-13-2005, 09:07 AM
I looooove Alpaca. Always have. Since I was a kid I always wanted my mom to knit me an alpaca sweater....now that I'm all grown up and I learned to knit, I guess I'll have to knit it myself. :D

More specifically, I am in LOVE with Catalina Baby Pima (http://www.catalinayarns.com/our%20yarns/baby%20pima/index.htm)...60% baby alpaca, 40% pima cotton. YUM.

Vendie
08-13-2005, 10:17 AM
I love me some Merino, oooh or Cashmerino, oooh or alpaca (but not the alpca silk that I'm fighting with on a scarf), oooh or angora :inlove:

Ingrid
08-13-2005, 11:00 AM
what is quivit?

It's very expensive yarn made from fur plucked from a Musk Ox. ;)

blueknitter
08-13-2005, 03:26 PM
what is quivit?

It's very expensive yarn made from fur plucked from a Musk Ox. ;)

Plucked?! :shock: That must be one made ox! And one mighty expensive yarn.

feministmama
08-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Manos, Debbie bliss cashmarino, Lambs Pride painted thingy, Jo sharp DK, Heliotrope, Yukon multi, and there's lots of yummy mohairs out there. Not a big fan of Noro or many cottons. maybe a Debblie Bliss cotton. I miss Berocco Pleasure. And of course the sock yarns from Knit picks.

feministmama
08-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Ya know I should clarify that I love these yarns but I cannot afford them. I just like to go into yarn stores and drool. :drooling: Every once in a while there's a sale or some kind of cheaper look alike yarn but one can always dream..........

rebecca
08-13-2005, 10:09 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: merino. BUT, my :inlove: sweet, :heart: sweet :inlove: husband bought all of the skeins of this SWTC 100%soy silk yarn (http://www.knitpixie.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=863) called "phoenix" when we were in Charleston last week...and I KNOW that I am going to :heart: :inlove: :heart: this yarn way too much, it's just yuuummmy. I plan on making him a scarf and perhaps hat to match...then after my sweater tutorials with Kelley and I'm ready to make a very yummy sweater...I will have to save for a while to get the yarn for a sweater for him to complement the scarf!!
I'm telling ya'll this yarn feels wonderful; can't describe it, it's just so YUMMY :drooling: . All that said to say...I bet that will be my fave after I've knitted with it ;)

MaggieL
08-13-2005, 10:21 PM
The nicest that I've knit with so far has been Alpaca. I also liked the feel of merino, but it was a pain to knit with - mine kept "unwinding" (where the strands seperated). I have some cashmere, but haven't knit with it and don't know how I will like it.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-14-2005, 01:11 AM
i REALLY like merino style from knitpicks--it's soft, gorgeous colors, and it felts SO NICE--thick, flexible and not fuzzy! I've also knit a lot with catalina baby alpaca (the blend, not the 100%), and I love that too. Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride is another favorite--gorgeous colors, affordable, felts great-- and I am in the process of falling for cascade 220 superwash. Wool of the Andes fromknitpicks is nice--thank god they got more colors!-- I like how it knits up, but it's really fuzzy after felting.

needles54
08-15-2005, 07:47 PM
i am in love with SWTC Optimum DK which FLying Fingers recently had on sale, love Cashmerino, lambs pride and cherry tree hill 100% laceweight merino