PDA

View Full Version : strongest stitch

koolbreeze
08-15-2005, 05:00 PM
if you were knitting on big needles and you want what you are knitting tobe able to hold some weight... what stitch would be the strongest? :thinking:

Silver
08-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Probably garter stitch. Since it's the same on both sides, it will distribute the stress evenly. However, stockingette would be a very close second.

koolbreeze
08-15-2005, 05:08 PM
ok, i was doing garter stitch because i hate to purl, but i kind of thought stockingette would be stronger! thanks Silver! :thumbsup:

javede
08-16-2005, 12:42 AM
I would also say, that garter is stronger than stockinette.
However, I think the strongest stitch pattern would be a woven kind of stitch. I've made a purse with one of those and it's really strong http://orangmerajut.blogspot.com/2005/04/sturd-is-finished.html. Of course it depends on your project.

ekgheiy
08-16-2005, 02:17 PM
I also think the woven variety is pretty strong. I've used the plaited basket stitch (http://knitting.about.com/library/blplaitedbasket.htm) before; it was quite sturdy. Just be really mindful of your tension; this st is pretty tight. :thumbsup: When I started w/ it, it was very easy for the sts to get stuck on the needle they were so tight. :lol:

koolbreeze
08-16-2005, 03:30 PM
:oops: thanks for the links... only problem is... i'm not very good at following patterns!!! thats why i stick to gater and stockinette!!! i know i know. you can't knit if you can' follow a pattern!!! my mom and the lady @ the LYS told me that when i started! i'm getting there! :thumbsup:

ekgheiy
08-16-2005, 03:35 PM
:oops: thanks for the links... only problem is... i'm not very good at following patterns!!! thats why i stick to gater and stockinette!!! i know i know. you can't knit if you can' follow a pattern!!! my mom and the lady @ the LYS told me that when i started! i'm getting there! :thumbsup:*gasp* Sure you can follow a pattern!!! If you can knit, purl and YO, then YOU CAN FOLLOW A PATTERN!! :thumbsup: *hugs*

koolbreeze
08-16-2005, 04:24 PM
ha ha! i tell you i have very few brain cells left and those are alittle slow!!!
i lose brain activity everytime i speak baby talk and with every child i get dumber! my 4 and 2.5 year old talk to me and i'm like "What? :shock:

punkhippiemom
08-17-2005, 06:18 PM
OMG so true! :roflhard:

koolbreeze
08-17-2005, 08:11 PM
:roflhard: