PDA

View Full Version : I just bought my first....

knitqueen
08-17-2005, 02:57 PM
....Addi Turbo circ!! :happydance:

I had bought a cheapo, $4.99 circ the other day, and used it for a while but it sucked. The join was so bad, the stitches were catching on it constantly. I'm using it for magic loop so the stitches are coming off and on the needles a lot and I just couldn't stand it. I went back to the LYS to see if I could replace it with something else, preferably reasonably priced, but once there and realizing that the size I needed didn't come in the cheaper brands, and the turbos come in ALL conceivable sizes it seems, I decided to just scrap it all and go with the expensive one!! $19 :shock: :shock: Canadian, that is, if it makes you feel any better, but still. I had better like it!!! :lol:

Ingrid
08-17-2005, 04:04 PM
For what it's worth, I :heart: my Addis. I can't tell you the frustration of trying to get the yarn to come around over a bad join (or probably don't need to, either). My feeling is, and I know I've said this before, is that a needle will last you for years and years, why not go with a good one?

BinkyKat
08-17-2005, 08:12 PM
I looove my Addis! :heart:
I am reminded of a funny saying that relates to buying a quality item when you can... "You should always buy a good bed and good shoes, because if you aren't in one, you're in the other."
I feel if I have some good tools on hand, using the more economical one's at times doesn't seem so bad...

knitqueen
08-17-2005, 08:50 PM
And I DO have quite a few other circs that are much much cheaper that are fine and I like them, but that one I bought a few days ago was a piece of garbage. Seriously. I wonder why my LYS sells them if they're that bad??? It's quite an upscale store so I was really quite surprised.

I have been using the turbo now all afternoon and it is FANTASTIC. The cord is so flexible and soft and the needles are nice and slippery which I love.

A question though, or maybe more of a comment.....it says on the package that it's a US size 2, but it also says that it's a 3mm. Normally a size 2 is listed as a 2.75mm :thinking: I asked the lady at the LYS about it and she said that they are made measured in the metric system and that it is a true 3mm, but that doesn't quite add up to a US2. Hmmmm.

dustinac
08-17-2005, 08:51 PM
I know someone that this is all she will use.. I haven't bought any but she keeps telling me they are wonderful :thumbsup:

rebecca
08-17-2005, 09:18 PM
Love my addi's..only use them in 12"...all my other circs are Inox pearl grey or Susan Bates Quicksilver...those that are not...will be; I'm loving these 2 brands with all needles; they have a teflon type coating that allows the yarn to glide smoothly along AND the joins rival my addi's!

knitqueen
08-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Yep, the other ones that I have are inox and susan bates. They are great. The joins rival that of the addi turbos. What I can't get over with the turbos is how soft and flexible the cord is. Really great for doing magic loop, I don't feel like I'm wrestling with the cord all the time.

punkhippiemom
08-17-2005, 11:29 PM
:drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:
~in my best Homer voice~
MMMMMMMMMMM.....tuuuurrrrrboooosss.....

BinkyKat
08-17-2005, 11:43 PM
I love my Addi's most for the cord too, the needles are so smooth. I can't really say what yarn they are best for.. it seems when I feel a certain yarn I lean toward using my Addi's for it. I did pick up one or two Addi Natura's but haven't used them yet... I am curious as to how their bamboo feels. I also have one set of Crystal Palace bamboo circs that I really like cuz the joins swivel... neato frito! :thumbsup:

amy
08-18-2005, 02:58 PM
I love my *one* pair of addi's too. (Guess what I'm asking for for Christmas? :mrgreen:)

I remember thinking, "How much smoother could they possibly be than other metal needles? I mean, cummon? It's just another pair of metal needles, right?" If you take a strand of yarn and loop it over the shaft and slide it up and down to feel the resistance, you can actually totally tell the difference compaired to regular metal needles like my beloved Boyes.

But as I've said, they're sort of like having satin sheets. A luxury, but I also love my cotton sheet Boye set, and the GREAT convenience of having all sizes with me at all times. Having more Addi's would be a wonderful indulgence though. I've decided to aim to collect a set of 16", since my Boyes don't go down that size, they'll fill in the gap quite nicely. ;)

Ingrid
08-18-2005, 03:35 PM
:roflhard: This is why you'll never hear me chime in on a discussion of Denise's! This picture, of course, does not include the dozen or so that are "in project", so to speak. :rollseyes:

brendajos
08-18-2005, 03:40 PM
i just got me one of those in the mail the other day! This weekend i will try to get it organized. considering how long you have been knitting and how long IIIIIIIII have been knitting i am going to hope and pray mine isn't as full as yours cuz that will mean i have moved from inspired to obsessed! :pray:

Ingrid
08-18-2005, 03:42 PM
There's a line between experienced and obsessed, and I believe I crossed it a loooong time ago!! :rofling:

brendajos
08-18-2005, 03:46 PM
I've decided to aim to collect a set of 16", since my Boyes don't go down that size, they'll fill in the gap quite nicely. ;)

that is what i am working on too! and if Mr. Wonderland sends me the ones i ordered from Ebay in good order i will probably be getting most of them from him. I did get some "plastic" Boyes from Joanns.com that i really liked when i used them but their selection was already slim and then they backordered half my set. Since the addis from wonderland were only sightly more expensive i think i will try to fill in there! now let's just hope i don't eat the $20 i spent....him changing his store name still worries me! :pray:

Julie
08-18-2005, 06:58 PM
I bought two sets of Addi 16" circs from Mr. Wonderland...they are sooo wonderful! And they arrived much faster than I thought they would...I wasn't even stalking the mailman yet. :thumbsup:

snephenie
08-18-2005, 07:51 PM
I bought two sets of Addi 16" circs from Mr. Wonderland...they are sooo wonderful! And they arrived much faster than I thought they would...I wasn't even stalking the mailman yet. :thumbsup:

Doesn't he ship from overseas? How fast do they usually come?

brendajos
08-18-2005, 10:38 PM
says 7-10 days on the site. hopefully that's true cuz i am an impatient package waiter...lol

1to1
08-19-2005, 11:04 AM
I have several sizes of Addis because my 10yoDD and I :heart: them!!

The other night we were looking to make some dishclothes for charity and could only find one #8. :shock: We looked in all our bags and couldn't find them. She even called a couple of her friends cause I couldn't remember if in a moment of weakness I let someone take them home. We have loaned out several needles but I couldn't believe I'd let a 10yo take ADDI TURBOs home. :wall:

Guess where they were?! In her bookmark bag with her #3 Addis in her closet--she hasn't made bookmarks in a while and put it away.

I think I will start a checkout system to keep track of them. That was a sick feeling thinking we lost our beloved Addi Turbos.

punkhippiemom
08-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Was lurking on ebay last night and saw - yes, that's right - GOLD PLATED ADDI'S!!!
:rollseyes:
I couldn't decide if that was completely ridiculous... or if I really really really wanted them.... :blush:

GlenBoRTR
08-19-2005, 12:13 PM
I was told by my LYS manager that all Addis are guaranteed for life. You should be able to take them back and exchange them at any store that carries them.

Julie
08-19-2005, 04:27 PM
I believe they are shipped from Hong Kong...mine got to the US in less than a week though! :D

brendajos
08-23-2005, 12:12 AM
okay so i was pretty worried about ordering from this guy. i rarely buy from someone who has such a low rating ...with such few ratings i should say. i had had a whole bunch of needles in my watch list and i decided that i wasn't willing to take that much of a risk from this guy who had so few ratings and had just changed his name. that just makes me suspicious ya know. well so i picked the two i wanted the most and rolled the dice. ordered them on the 16th and expected that they would take about two weeks to get here from hong kong. let me tell ya...i came home tonight and there they were in my mail box! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

now i can go buy the rest of my sets of needles....i swear it feels like i practically got them for free...especially with 2 bucks shipping! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

carlaf
08-24-2005, 10:40 PM
I've decided to buy more Addi Turbos for my next project because I :heart: :heart: :heart: using size 13/32in needles for my current project. What length should I get if I'm going to have a max of about 104 stitches? The yarn I'll be using is Beroco Cotton Twist. Thanks for your help.

CarlaF-circular needle convert

Ingrid
08-24-2005, 10:44 PM
I think you'd be safe with 16".

carlaf
08-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Ingrid,
What brand(s) of needles do you have in that picture?
Carla-the curious

Ingrid
08-26-2005, 11:26 AM
The silver ones are Addis (one day they all will be :pray: ) The colored ones are probably Susan Bates, and the gray ones are I think Inox? I'm not sure. I've had many of them for years and throw away the packaging right away.

There're two bamboo pairs in there, too. Clover. Nice, but I like slick.

brendajos
08-26-2005, 11:31 AM
ooooh i love my silver addis. i love it when they clank together too...they make such a perdy sound...and they are so pretty and shiny! i just ordered 4 more sets from wonderland! ;) :thumbsup:

Carol_OH
08-26-2005, 11:33 AM
I need to find out about these Addis!

*oh darn, gotta go to another LYS*

:lol:

Ingrid
08-26-2005, 11:35 AM
I need to find out about these Addis!

*oh darn, gotta go to another LYS*

:lol:

Quite the sacrifice, huh! ;)

jodstr2
08-26-2005, 11:41 AM
yep... I love my Addis!!! :heart:

knitqueen
08-26-2005, 11:41 AM
I've tried to find Wonderland on ebay and I can't find it. Anyone help me??

brendajos
08-26-2005, 11:47 AM
you betcha...he is in my favorites! ;) Got four sets yesterday for $31.50 including shipping! :happydance:

My.BestShop (http://stores.ebay.com/My-BestShop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm)

and the last ones i got from him where here in less than a week, from hong kong!

carlaf
08-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Wow,

Thanks for the post. Excuse me while I go shopping :heart: :heart: :heart:
Addi's come to mama

Carla

you betcha...he is in my favorites! ;) Got four sets yesterday for $31.50 including shipping! :happydance:

My.BestShop (http://stores.ebay.com/My-BestShop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm)

and the last ones i got from him where here in less than a week, from hong kong!