PDA

View Full Version : Starting Big Block Afghan

Jivewhistle
08-18-2005, 12:25 PM
I am determined to start on this today.

http://frugalknit12330.goeserv.com/homepage/bbafghan.htm

I've got hunter green yarn and the blankets going to be for my dog :)

But...I have never, ever done a gauge swatch before. How many sts should I cast on for a swatch and how many rows? I've always been scared of gauge and it's time to learn!

Ingrid
08-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Personally, I wouldn't bother to swatch for a blanket. An inch or two isn't going to make a difference for a dog blanket, but it would, of course for a sweater.

If you really want to, though, check what it says for the gauge directions and cast on maybe 10 more stitches. Then knit for a few inches and measure your stitches.

I don't think I've every knit a full 4 inches for a swatch, since row gauge can only really be adjusted by knitting more/fewer rows. I check out what I'm knitting and decide what to do about it.

Jivewhistle
08-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Thank you! I think I'll skip the gauge :thumbsup:

1to1
08-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Hey, I've got one of those started with camo yarn to use in our camo camper. I haven't worked on it for awhile but hopefully will get it done before winter.

One thing that has helped me is that I put a stitch marker everytime you have to switch between knitting and purling. Place one color for knit and one for purl. Trust me this will save your sanity. Some people may :roflhard: but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

I agree with Ingrid--a swatch isn't necessary.

Jivewhistle
08-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Thank you! I'll definately do that.

rebecca
08-19-2005, 12:01 PM
That is going to be lovely!