PDA

View Full Version : Clan Arans

ekgheiy
08-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Wow! I just clicked on one of the advertising links and found Clan Arans (www.clanarans.com). What beautiful sweaters! Wowwie! Excuse me, whilst I ponder from whence and/or whom I can sequester 110 bucks for my kit ... :verysad:

snephenie
08-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Wow I think my mom would pass out if I knit hers...McCarthy. It is quite beautiful.....one day

Sara
08-18-2005, 08:29 PM
I would knit Sweeney sweaters for my elder brothers, but I don't think they would take such good care of them. Or I could make one for my nephew, but he's 6'8" and I would be elderly before I finished a huge sweater like that! :lol:

ekgheiy
08-19-2005, 10:24 AM
I hear ya Sara! ;)

1to1
08-19-2005, 10:37 AM
WOW! Those are some awesome designs but I'm not into making sweaters yet though. :crying:

ekgheiy
08-19-2005, 10:40 AM
WOW! Those are some awesome designs but I'm not into making sweaters yet though. :crying: Aww ... no worries deary!! You WILL get there ;) Besides, there's nothing wrong with expanding your "Things to Knit" list. I expand mine all the time ... :study: *sigh*

rebecca
08-19-2005, 10:50 AM
WOW...those are VERY COOL!! But..I am very English, Scottish and my husband French...couldn't even find an ancestor name in the bunch...which is a good thing bc I would want to knit it and I've just gotten my book on knitting sweaters & I don't start out quite that complex ;)!
Now...if it were a sock..no problem!

ekgheiy
08-19-2005, 11:05 AM
...which is a good thing bc I would want to knit it and I've just gotten my book on knitting sweaters & I don't start out quite that complex ;)! ...I know what you mean ... it's a good thing I can't start one b/c I've patterns for sweaters at home that have been on THE LIST for quite some time. But hey - I've got room on My List for more ... Let's see ... *ekgheiy writes in her fat notebook*

... 3,675,849: Pullovers for Her, Chunky Sweater
... 3,675,850: Second Knitty Kyoto Sweater, choose different colors.
... 3,675,851: Pullovers for Her, Relaxed Weekend (first one too big; gave away; make one that fits!)
... 3,675,852: Lionbrand's Autumn Throw
... 3,675,853: Clan Aran's (which one? tba...)
... 3,675,854......................................... .................................................

Silver
08-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Those are gorgeous! Makes me wish I was Irish, instead of Italian/German and married to a French Canadian. LOL

Ingrid
08-19-2005, 12:09 PM
My mother's family was/is from Ireland, but I'm not crazy about the sweater for her maiden name. :(

ekgheiy
08-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Those are gorgeous! Makes me wish I was Irish, instead of Italian/German and married to a French Canadian. LOL Why would wish that? :thinking: Do you have to be Irish to make one of the sweaters?? :( Hm...well foo-ey with da rulez ... I have been know to break a few ... one more won't hurt :eyebrow:

punkhippiemom
08-19-2005, 01:58 PM
:happydance: That's right - phooey to the rules, and a neener neener as well! (DH is of Irish descent, but we've only found his clan name in one place, apparently they weren't a very big clan or something!) :roflhard:
I was just thinking to myself - self, I says...I have to come up w/a system so that non-Irish persons can enter their last name and come up with an Aran design...Something like designating a stitch pattern to each letter of their name... :thinking: hmmmm...

ekgheiy
08-19-2005, 02:01 PM
I was just thinking to myself - self, I says...I have to come up w/a system so that non-Irish persons can enter their last name and come up with an Aran design...Something like designating a stitch pattern to each letter of their name... :thinking: hmmmm... :drool: :drool: :drool: I just know that you will post it whence this system is unearthed... :mrgreen:

Silver
08-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Why would wish that? :thinking: Do you have to be Irish to make one of the sweaters??
Uh no... but I'd be knitting some stranger's family aran instead of my own. :(

punkhippiemom
08-19-2005, 02:12 PM
:thumbsup: Oh yeah - I'm good like that! Considering that most of my inspiration comes from this site, it's only fair that I share ;)

Nuno930
08-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Why would wish that? :thinking: Do you have to be Irish to make one of the sweaters??
Uh no... but I'd be knitting some stranger's family aran instead of my own. :( Yeah, that would kind of be like wearing another families crest. I suppose if you liked it you could... but why?

I am of Irish descent, but I don't like them at all.

rebecca
08-19-2005, 02:56 PM
...which is a good thing bc I would want to knit it and I've just gotten my book on knitting sweaters & I don't start out quite that complex ;)! ...I know what you mean ... it's a good thing I can't start one b/c I've patterns for sweaters at home that have been on THE LIST for quite some time. But hey - I've got room on My List for more ... Let's see ... *ekgheiy writes in her fat notebook*

... 3,675,849: Pullovers for Her, Chunky Sweater
... 3,675,850: Second Knitty Kyoto Sweater, choose different colors.
... 3,675,851: Pullovers for Her, Relaxed Weekend (first one too big; gave away; make one that fits!)
... 3,675,852: Lionbrand's Autumn Throw
... 3,675,853: Clan Aran's (which one? tba...)
... 3,675,854......................................... .................................................
:roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: so true, so true!! My project list is HUGE

ekgheiy
08-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Uh no... but I'd be knitting some stranger's family aran instead of my own. :(
Yeah, that would kind of be like wearing another families crest. I suppose if you liked it you could... but why?
I am of Irish descent, but I don't like them at all. Excuse me whilst I hem&haw and kick&scream and throw a general hissy fit. What if I make one and only wear it on St. Patty's Day. Isn't everyone a little Irish on St. Patty's Day. ***giggle*** Just joshin' ya guys! :mrgreen:

But I do agree with ya Nuno, I too don't like all of them. But of the one's that I do like ... :eyebrow: St. Patty's Day here I come ... :lol:

Nuno930
08-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Isn't everyone a little Irish on St. Patty's Day. ***giggle*** Just joshin' ya guys! That reminds me of a dirty pick up line I used to get all them time ;)

ekgheiy
08-19-2005, 03:45 PM
That reminds me of a dirty pick up line I used to get all them time ;) Well dang! That's superfoul .... how can you leave with a cliffhanger like that?? :shock: Do tell ... my eyes are glued to the screen ... :angelgrin:

Nuno930
08-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Oh c'mon! that is the oldest one in the book...

ekgheiy
08-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Oh c'mon! that is the oldest one in the book... *nervous giggle* Well, what can I say ... I'm pretty young ... :mrgreen: hehe ... why not educate a young gal ... :oops:

punkhippiemom
08-19-2005, 07:03 PM
my DH loves this one :rollseyes: what can I say? he's male

Him - "Do you have any Irish in you?"
You - "No" (all innocent like)
Him- "Would you like to?" :eyebrow:

Nuno930
08-19-2005, 07:33 PM
my DH loves this one :rollseyes: what can I say? he's male

Him - "Do you have any Irish in you?"
You - "No" (all innocent like)
Him- "Would you like to?" :eyebrow:
Circle gets a square! ;)

foldedbird
08-19-2005, 11:01 PM
There's talk going around that there being an official family crest/stitch might be a myth, and that sweaters like these might be more of a tourist item than a legacy.

I have read that stitch patterns were passed down in families, but that sweaters weren't really worn until the 1920s and 30s. There's another myth going around that certain stitch patterns were knitted into sweaters to identify sailors lost at sea that's now believed to be untrue, as well.

Read more here, if you like:
http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/AEmblem/Sweaters.html
http://www.diynet.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3502276,00.html
http://www.achillknitwear.com/aranknit1.html

However, cables and aran knitting is VERY versatile. If you're concerned about knitting something that one family has used for a long time, why not change it up. There's lots of good resources out there for aran knitting. The sweaters are designed to be altered for sizing and versatility!!! I'm seriously getting hooked on cables and aran patterns myself. I'm more Native American and German than much else, but there is a wee bit of Irish on my grandmothers side. I just like the stitching because I HATE stockinette, oh so so boring!

:)

ekgheiy
08-22-2005, 11:05 AM
OOoooo ... a myth .... :eyebrow:

foldedbird
08-22-2005, 11:35 AM
LOL ek...I heard a myth about you, too. It went something like "ek can't chat anymore because she's raising a pack of wolves..."

ekgheiy
08-22-2005, 11:41 AM
:oops: Aw crap - I thought nobody saw me howling at the full moon over the weekend!!! What kind of role model am I for these young wolves o'mine? :lol:

foldedbird
08-22-2005, 12:27 PM
I was howling at the moon, too!