PDA

View Full Version : Yarn Sale

Jackie M.
08-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Went to Joann's yesterday and they had a sale for Lion Brand Wool Ease for $1.89 per skein. Of course I couldn't pass it up so bought serveral skeins. Then found some TLC amore' that I loved so bought that (wasn't on sale), then some other colors that were pretty, but I didn't need them, then I bought some needles I didn't have, then some cable needles because I want to learn to do cables. I couldn't stop myself! Anyone else have this problem? I spent about $65 total, and only went in to "look".

Jackie

Ingrid
08-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Going into a yarn store to 'look' is like going into the ocean and not getting wet!

koolbreeze
08-23-2005, 02:06 PM
theres no such thing as "to look" at Joanns or a LYS!!! We aregetting a bigger JoAnn's out here sometime next year!!! :cheering: no maybe i can get my cart though an isle without knoking haft the stuff over! :rollseyes:

JLC
08-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Lucky you!! My nearest Joann's (about a 1/2 hr away) never has any needles or anything. I can usually find some yarn, but that's about it. I wish the store had the ball winders so I could just go get it and use my 40% off coupon, instead of doing it online. Maybe I'll search for a larger Joann's in Maine...there must be one...

Stonington
08-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Where in Maine are you looking? If you don't mind me asking?

anne

brendajos
08-23-2005, 02:56 PM
yeah i don't have too much trouble just looking at joanns unless i have something specific to look for. they don't have any needles but straights and i have never used those and some yarn that just isn't anything i like. usually when i go it is to look for fabric and that is about it...or funky buttons....so usually i have a reason for being there. kinda makes me sad cuz i would reeeeeeeally like it to be a store i could spend hours browsing in...ooooh well...lol. i have enough of those anyway! ;)

JLC
08-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Anne - I live in Madison and work in Skowhegan. The Joann's I was talking about is in Waterville. Is there a larger store down your way? I can't picture one in S. Portland, but maybe there is????

brendajos
08-23-2005, 03:10 PM
here's a list (http://credit.net/search_results.asp?si=47832200106308&VendorID=200000&reccount=6&check_name=business_name&try_harder=) of all the joann's stores my company has listed in Maine. Can't really tell how big they are but at least you will know where they are! ;) :thumbsup:

Stonington
08-23-2005, 03:11 PM
JLC,
There is one in Auburn--and in the same mall there is a Craftmania I believe. One in Westbrook (that did not impress me lol) Here in South Portland there is AC Moore, Craftmania and Michaels. I have had really good luck in AC Moore as far as yarn, but usually have to shop around for needles. There is also a really nice :cheering: Joanns in Bangor on Stillwater Ave. :thinking:

JLC
08-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks Anne and brendajos - I didn't even think of Bangor. That's way closer than Portland. Maybe I'll call to see if they have the ball winder, and I can go to the mall, too!! There's also a yarn store - Cityside (I think is the name) in Bangor that I want to check out as well.

Anne - have you been to Halcyon yarn in Bath? That is my absolute favorite yarn shop.

Stonington
08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
JLC,

No I have not been there yet. I love Bath/Brunswick. Maybe on my next free Friday afternoon I might go exploring. :cheering: Is Halcyon easy to find?
anne

JLC
08-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Anne - check out this link to Halcyon's site - it has the directions:
http://www.halcyonyarn.com/howtogethere.html

Definitely a "must see"!!!

feministmama
08-24-2005, 09:51 AM
If you ever feel like making a yarn pilgrimage, my cousin says there is a fantastic yarn store in Lexington,Mass. I think its called Wild and Wooley.