PDA

View Full Version : Color Waves blanket pattern question

hillerkim
08-30-2005, 11:15 AM
:D Hello all you experts out there!!

I have an incredibly silly question.

I have a pattern that I am working on that is a diagonal knit blanket. The pattern is super easy using 2 different colored yarns to make waves/stripes.

Here's my silly question. You are supposed to make left and right diagonal patterned panels. It explains the left diagonal panel but for the right is says: "work as for left diagonal panel, reversing shaping". huh? That's where it loses me. What the heck does that mean exactly??? :blush:

Thanks for the help guys!! :D

Ingrid
08-30-2005, 11:18 AM
What does the pattern say for the left side, specifically? Then we can help you reverse it. ;)

ekgheiy
08-30-2005, 11:23 AM
When patterns tell me to reverse shaping, I just read the pattern backwards. ;) Just keep in mind to sub knit & purls to keep the rs & ws consistant. Hope that helps. :mrgreen:

hillerkim
08-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Ok, here we go:

cast on 2 stiches (with color A)
Row 1 (RS) knit
Row 2 (WS) knit into front & back of each st. (4 st)
Row 3 Knit row with color B
Row 4 K 1, K into front & back of next 2 stitches, k 1 (6 st)
Row 5 With A, knit
Row 6 K 1, inc 1, k to last 2 sts, inc 1, k1 (8 st)
Row 7 Knit with B
Row 8 Repeat row 6 (10 st) continue maintaining stripe sequence and inc 2 sts every WS row until side measures 13 ", ending with WS row.
New row: change color, knit
Next (Dec Row) (WS) K1, inc 1, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1.
Next (change color, knit
Next Repeat dec row until long edge measure 54", ending with RS row.
Next row (WS) k1, k2 tog, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1
Continue as established, until 4 sts. remain ending with RS row.

That make any sense whatsoever???? I get this part, I just don't get how to REVERSE the shaping.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Ingrid
08-30-2005, 12:14 PM
I think that when you get to the 54" side, you then start decreasing at the same rate you increased to get to the 54".

hillerkim
08-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Oh I understand that part. You are decreasing until you finish the rectangle.

I just don't understand how I would "reverse" the whole pattern to make the left panel. :??

Ingrid
08-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Maybe the colors? Is there any way to post a pic or link?

hillerkim
08-30-2005, 01:15 PM
I have the whole pattern above a couple of posts up. This was a pattern I purchased so I don't have a link to it. Sorry.

The pattern continues after what I typed above like this:

Right diagonal panel:
"Work as for Left Diagonal Panel, reversing shaping"

This is the part I don't understand. I'm so confused. :thinking:

It's a neat pattern and I'd love to follow the pattern for the oposite panel but I just don't get it. I understand what to do for the left one with the instructions written out, that's not a problem. I just don't know what to do for the next panel.

Thanks for your paitence with this beginner. :D

Ingrid
08-30-2005, 01:53 PM
I think I get it, now. I can be dense. As you were doing the first piece, you were starting small and getting bigger, then decrease along one side, yes?

To reverse shaping, you do the same thing, increase to a certain point, but dec along the other side. Make sense?

hillerkim
08-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Oh, I think I get it. So instead of increasing one stich at the begining and knitting 2 together at the end of the rows, I should do the opposite or am I still confused. :shock:

You really have to wonder who's being dense here. I'm thinking it's me. :D

Thanks for putting up with me.

Ingrid
08-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Yes, switch around where you decrease and increase. It will become clear as you do it. :cheering: By jove, I think we've got it!

hillerkim
08-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Awesome, thank you so much for the help!!! I'll let you know how it goes. :D

Ellen Edwards
08-31-2005, 09:56 PM
Is this like the diagonal dishcloth that was going around for a while?

hillerkim
09-01-2005, 09:50 AM
:thinking: I don't think so. I haven't actually looked at the dishcloth pattern.

This one has diagonal, striped (2 colors) panels that you knit then attached together to make the blanket.

I can snap a picture of what I have so far and post it if you'd like.

hillerkim
09-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Here are a couple pictures for you to see the pattern for this blanket. This is made with Lion Brand Color Waves in Carribbean, and TLC amore, black. Very soft and pretty.

Ingrid
09-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Love the colors!!!

hillerkim
09-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks. You know how you see a yarn you like without really knowing what you are going to do with it? Well, that's what happened here. It is sooooo, soft. I saw, I liked, I bought. :D

I think it would be really nice as a baby blanket too.

I'll post again when I get it done. :XX:

Thanks again for your help with the pattern !!

Have a great weekend!

Kim

Ingrid
09-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks. You know how you see a yarn you like without really knowing what you are going to do with it?

More than you'll ever know. That's why yarn is taking up every storage space in the house!! :rofling:

hillerkim
09-02-2005, 10:51 AM
:lol: Hee hee! I'm pretty sure we aren't alone there! For my family's sake I try to keep it in check but it's soooooo hard to do!

I have a couple of skeins of Polar Spun in tropical colors (orange, hot pink, lime green, mango) and I have no clue what to do with it. I liked the colors and the texture so I bought it. I'm just itching to make something other than a scarf with it. I was going to do a blanket but then I couldn't really find anything to coordinate the colors. I'll figure something out. :D