PDA

View Full Version : KH Monthly Challenge: September

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-03-2005, 11:02 PM
In celebration of the autumnal equinox, johnny appleseed's birthday, and back-to-school, your challenge this month is to knit the forbidden fruit... an apple!!

For inspritation:
The modern tradition of tossing rice at the happy couple evolved from an ancient practice of throwing apples at weddings likely to the relief of the newlyweds

Greek and Roman mythology referred to apples as symbols of love and beauty.

The world's larges apple peel was created by 16-year-old Kathy Wafler Madison on October 16, 1976, in Rochester, NY. It was 172 feet, 4 inches long.

saac Newton was supposedly sitting under an apple tree when he thought up the law of gravity

Apples are fat, sodium, and cholesterol free

In Latin, "apple" and "evil" sound the same... perhaps this is how the apple became central to the Garden of Eden.

I will be knitting Eve's Bag (http://www.mybagatelle.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=60) by Mary Bruner from my bagatelle (www.mybagatelle.com). The pattern isn't available ont he website, but I bought it at Wool and Company (www.woolandcompany.com). I actually purchased the pattern months ago--I'm using manos in an earthy-looking colorway instead of black-- and as soon as I have time to knit, I'm starting this!!!

Remember, you don't have to change your current project to join in the challenge! The challenge is to incorporate the KAL into whatever you are currently knitting... add an apple to your clogs, knit an apple-shaped dishcloth... you can use a part of the apple for your inspiration, like the color red, or the star-shape of the seeds in the apple's cross section. Be creative!

Happy Knitting!

Ingrid
09-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Great idea Hildie! Thank you for taking the time out to do this for us. I live in apple country, so there is always inspiration. Maybe I'll start potholders or washclothes for the kids' teachers!

D
09-04-2005, 01:01 AM
Unique assignment/project! Hmm.. maybe i'll give something a try. That means I'll have to go back to a yarn store. :happydance:
(I'm still happy about all the stuff I just got at JoAnn's and spent less than $25)

dustinac
09-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Hildie what a great purse!! :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-04-2005, 11:13 PM
yes, and we all know how much I need another bag...

knitqueen
09-04-2005, 11:43 PM
There are a few other apple patterns that I could find.....
The Apple Hat (http://www.knitlist.com/96gift/giftapplehat.htm)
Knitted Apple Cloth (http://www.knittingknonsense.com/applecloth.html)

rebecca
09-05-2005, 10:39 AM
yes, and we all know how much I need another bag...

Hilde, honey, we KNOW that there's no such thing as 'too many bags' just like there's no such thing as 'too many birks' ;)

ekgheiy
09-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Knitted Apple Cloth (http://www.knittingknonsense.com/applecloth.html) This is kewl! And I have some red stash yarn too!! Astashination, here I come! :happydance:

Ingrid
09-05-2005, 11:35 AM

Thanks for posting the washcloth site! I think I printed out every one. :D

gimmesanity
09-05-2005, 11:48 AM
That apple hat is TOO cute! Thanks, knitqueen! Maybe I'll be joining y'all this month. I'm a monogamous knitter, so it may be a challenge trying to figure out how to squeeze that hat in... :thinking:

foldedbird
09-07-2005, 08:40 PM
A monogamous knitter? I had no idea there were such people on this forum! :rofling: :roflhard:

gimmesanity
09-07-2005, 08:51 PM
OMG, foldedbird, you don't even know. I have this strange obsession with working on one project until it's done...I can't seem to juggle more than one at a time. I'm sooo envious of all those who can have several needles going at one time. :mrgreen:

foldedbird
09-07-2005, 08:56 PM
See, I'm more envious of the monogamous knitters. Not only do I have many projects going on at one time, but I have little patience to complete some knitting projects...I always seem to find one better, hehe. I think it's mostly because I have a limited yarn/needle supply!

InterNette
09-08-2005, 11:18 AM
oh rats I returned nicky epstein for the home knitting book yesterday at the library . it had the cutest felted apples in it.

feministmama
09-09-2005, 12:25 AM

Hmmm.... ya think this could be modified to fit a 7 year old? :thinking:

knitqueen
09-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Personally, I'd just use a bigger needle and/or a chunkier yarn.

MaryB
09-09-2005, 08:39 AM
I think you could use any rolled brim hat pattern and add the stem and leaves. It seems to be a pretty simple pattern. You could always add a few stitches to make bigger leaves and longer stem. Just an idea! :thinking: :thinking:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-10-2005, 12:09 AM
so many bags.... so many birks.... too little time.... too little money *sigh*

I actually *thought* about knitting today! yay!

ekgheiy
09-10-2005, 12:27 PM
so many bags.... so many birks.... too little time.... too little money *sigh*

I actually *thought* about knitting today! yay! *bigs hugs* No worries Hildie! You'll be knittin' and a'purlin' in no time. ;)

Mer
09-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Yay, I'm the first apple poster! :happydance:

So I wanted to learn intarsia, and I just got my copy of Knitting Over The Edge (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931543755/qid=1126653625/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4861552-4122364?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) and it had a cute little apple chart in there, so I came up with this little guy. Not perfect, as I got kinda confused with so many strands of yarn, but a good learning experience!

Ingrid
09-13-2005, 07:31 PM
:thumbsup:

InterNette
09-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Looks great to me, I certainly knew it was an apple. Have you entered a new world with this ability? I can only imagine one day trying it, for now I am still struggling with the basics.

Mer
09-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Looks great to me, I certainly knew it was an apple. Have you entered a new world with this ability? I can only imagine one day trying it, for now I am still struggling with the basics.

Thanks! I'm not sure I'll be doing a lot of this yet, but it's really not too bad. Just a matter of switching colors at the right time and not getting all tangled with all of the yarn strands! Amy's intarsia video is quite helpful. :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Yay mer!!!! :cheering: It looks great! I'm glad you used the challenge to learn a new skill!! That's a fabulous no pressure way to participate :thumbsup:

How is everyone else coming????

ekgheiy
09-14-2005, 10:26 AM
[...] How is everyone else coming???? *ekgheiy whistles* :oops: Well ... um ... my apple cloth pattern is printed, my red stash cotton and size 7's are awaiting me ... *whistle, whistle* :shifty: hehehe

gimmesanity
09-14-2005, 07:06 PM
I made the apple hat, and all I have left to do is make the %^&* leaves and stick them on. I tried it last night, but I'm stuck. Here's the pattern:

Leaves (make two of these)
With green cast on 3 sts and work two rows in garter st

Continue in garter st increase at each end of next and following alt row (7sts)

Work 5 rows straight decrease 1 st at each end of next and following alt rows (3 sts)

Next Row: sl1, k2tog, psso and fasten off

Sew leaves to hat at stem base

OK, what's a garter st decrease and a straight decrease?? I'd like to finish tonight, so I may just try to wing it...but, I would :heart: to know how to do this.

tks!
~Sharon

Ingrid
09-14-2005, 07:11 PM
What you're missing is , and ,

Continue in garter stitch , increase at each end. . .

Work five rows straight , decrease 1 stitch . . . . .

gimmesanity
09-14-2005, 07:58 PM
DOH!! :doh:
Thanks, Ingrid! You rock!! :thumbsup:

gimmesanity
09-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Yay!!! My leaves are FINALLY done...stupid commas. :evil:
The pic of DD with the hat is from tonight, before the leaves were made. Our little hat model is fast asleep, so the bookshelf will have to do for the hat with leaves.

This hat was my first time using dpn's, and it wasn't as skeery as I thought it would be. I also learned some new increases and decreases. :XX:

gimmesanity
09-14-2005, 09:45 PM
OMG :shock: I just realized what book is in the background....haha, too funny. :oops: Ahh, what would Achebe say if he knew who he was sitting next to?

Ingrid
09-14-2005, 10:08 PM
I think I'm in love :inlove: The hat looks cute too! She is going to be the talk of the town in that hat!

ekgheiy
09-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Yay!!! My leaves are FINALLY done...stupid commas. [...] Yay!! :cheering: Nice job!!! It's soooo cute!!!

ekgheiy
09-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Update:
Okay okay - I started my apple cloth last night!! :cheering: I'm on row 37!!! Hehehe - I think it will be done by end of this month :lol:

aprildavis99
09-15-2005, 07:07 PM
I am going to try the Apple cloth. Looks very cute. I may make a few it the 1st one turns out good.

**There I go making plans for more projects...just say no...just say no...aww what the heck. I must knit to fulfill the destiny of all that yarn out there in the world. :XX:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-15-2005, 08:46 PM
i LOVE the apple hat!!!!!!!!!! Fabulous job with the dpns, too--that's greata that you learned a new skill :-)

One thing.... I don't geth the book thing... I can' t read the titles... :??

I'm so happy everyone is so into this month's challenge! yay!

DotMom61
09-15-2005, 11:00 PM
oh rats I returned nicky epstein for the home knitting book yesterday at the library . it had the cutest felted apples in it.

Thank you! Thank you! I remembered seeing those somewhere, but I couldn't remember where. I love that pattern!

Mer
09-16-2005, 10:06 AM
That is the cutest apple hat! :heart: Good job!!

ekgheiy
09-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Update:
Okay okay - I started my apple cloth last night!! :cheering: I'm on row 37!!! Hehehe - I think it will be done by end of this month :lol: Boo-Yah Babie!!! I finished my apple last night and it's ready for sudzville!! :happydance:

gimmesanity
09-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks, everyone! DD seems to like the hat...she tries to eat it everytime I put it on her melon.

The book thing...Tropic of Cancer is in the background. hehe...smut lit. I got it after watching that Seinfeld episode about it.

aprildavis99
09-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Hey. Dotmom!
I love Veggie Tales. Larry Boy Rocks. :cheering:

I am off from wrok today. I think I will get started on my apple cloth and watch the Veggie Tales movie containing this quote:

"Would you like poking or non-poking." :roflhard:
Can you guess which one?

aprildavis99
09-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Well, I got to row 43 on the Apple Cloth. :happydance:

I would probably be finished if :frog: hadn't happened about half way through.

So, the movie I was watching was Jonah, A Veggie Tales Movie. I love it. So funny. I especially love the song at the end that goes something like:

"I'm sleeping with fishes now...I'm one of the dishes now...I'm highly nutritious now...They say I'm delicious now (In the belly of a whale)

Cracks me up everytime. I know...I need to watch more non-animated movies. :oops:

DotMom61
09-20-2005, 07:02 PM
I finally did a KH Challenge!!

DS and I came home from the hospital this afternoon, and I decided that sitting on the couch and knitting was in order for the afternoon. So, here's my Apple Dishcloth!

http://static.flickr.com/29/45145438_57707ee54f.jpg

I used a Garter Slip-Stitch border instead of garter stitch, as the pattern (http://www.knittingknonsense.com/applecloth.html) suggested. It's working out fine, but seems to be buckling ever so slightly. Oh well ... it's just gonna be wet and soggy most of the time, anyway!!

KellyK
09-20-2005, 07:06 PM
VERY cute, Jul!

Ingrid
09-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Very nice!

gimmesanity
09-20-2005, 09:25 PM
:thumbsup: very cool

Ennormir
09-20-2005, 11:26 PM
I was gonna make the apple hat for a friend, but she's having a boy...so I might make it for my uncle's soon to be girl. But there is no way I'd get it done by the end of this month.... :(

aprildavis99
09-21-2005, 02:48 PM
NIce Julie.
I finished my cloth as well. I don't have any way of uploading pics but I am quite proud of it. I almost don't want to use it at all. :blush: I made mine in a raspberry color. Turned out great and since it was my first finished knitting project ever, I got to practice weaving in ends. It wasn't as difficult as I had thought. :balloons:

DotMom61
09-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Congrats on your first knitting project, April!! You picked a fun one!! And go ahead and use it ... you'll love using a knitted dish cloth; they're so much better than store bought! I'm completely spoiled by them now, and I don't like using my other ones at all.

Of course, you could always knit up two more in complementary colors, frame them in a deep frames, and hang them up as decorations in your kitchen!

aprildavis99
09-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Oooh! Now that's an idea!

ekgheiy
09-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Update:
Okay okay - I started my apple cloth last night!! :cheering: I'm on row 37!!! Hehehe - I think it will be done by end of this month :lol: Boo-Yah Babie!!! I finished my apple last night and it's ready for sudzville!! :happydance: Updated for pic (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46881#46881)...

Ennormir
09-26-2005, 11:19 AM
wow! That looks really good! I can't wait till I finish at least one project...I feel like I'm actually DOING something. lol

Sabrina
10-27-2005, 12:52 PM
A kitty and apple cloth are on the list to knit.... :cheering: I'm excited about knitting! Oh, but it didn't say on the patterns what size of needles to use. What size did you use?

All those dishcloths are lovely! Everyone is so talented here.

*edited to say: I'm a boob. Of course the needle size is specified on the yarn. I don't look at the paper after I unwrap the yarn. I guess I get too excited. :oops:

DotMom61
10-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Sabrina --

I don't always follow the needle size stated on the yarn -- I guess it just depends on what you're making. Most of the dishcloths I've knit call for needles anywhere from size 7 to 9. It all depends on how tightly you knit.

Can't wait to see your finished projects!! Good luck!