PDA

View Full Version : Go now to tuesday morning...YARN!

kemp
09-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Trendsetter, Gedifra, etc. Great wools 80% and some good stuff for snuggly scarves.

KellyK
09-13-2005, 10:39 AM
NICE haul, Kempy!

dustinac
09-13-2005, 11:15 AM
:crying: another store not around me... I wanted country life :rollseyes:

rebecca
09-13-2005, 11:16 AM
WOW....VERY COOL!! What a bunch of goodies!! I had recently heard that Tues morning (or some of them) started carrying yarn...looks like!! I must go Sat.!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: Because I NEED, I NEED, I NEED yarn....don't ya'll, too?! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

koolbreeze
09-13-2005, 11:33 AM
the closest one to me doesn't! :evil:

kemp
09-13-2005, 11:40 AM
bummer! I have 8 of them within a 20 mile radius...and the one I went to closest to me is one of the crappier ones. Imagine what they might have at the others!!! It was all I could do to resist the urge to drive straight to the next closest one, about 25 mins away. But I DO have enough yarn!!! Need to stop!!!

Oh, I also (finally) bought a sewing machine while I was there, but I haven't decided if I'm keeping it yet.

Mer
09-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Kemp! I just picked up a few balls on my lunch break. They didn't have many of the same color, but I got some blue and purple bulky-type wool and blue boucle of some sort (gedifra). Now, what to make? :thinking:

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-13-2005, 02:44 PM
NO WAY! Last time I was there they only had some wool ease and cotton ease. That is some sweet yarn you got!

akwolf
09-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Boy your Tuesday Morning is better than mine. I went over there at lunch and they had a handful of the most pathetic looking yarn I ever saw. :o I passed on it. Guess not all TMs are created equal. :rofling:

ekgheiy
09-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Dudette, I found a whole bunch of LionBrand at my Tuesday Morning a couple weeks ago!! :thumbsup: I must go back to see what new yummies they have... :drool:

kitkat
09-13-2005, 05:14 PM
But I DO have enough yarn!!!

Is there ever "enough" yarn????

Julie
09-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Kemp, how much do they cost??

rebecca
09-13-2005, 11:24 PM
We went over to ours right before closing and got a few balls of grey Gedifra in bulky wt for me to make Lonnie a very warm bike riding hat for cold weather :D ! He :heart: :heart: to ride his bike, so he rides to work about every day & this will be just right for cold days ;)

kitkat
09-14-2005, 07:23 AM
OH WOW! I just did a store search and evidently one has opened about 10 minutes from here! I am so going to have to check it out!

KellyK
09-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Ya know, I have seen a Tuesday Morning around here somewhere, but I had looked at their website once & didnt see any yarn.....

kitkat
09-14-2005, 08:00 AM
Their inventory is constantly changing. You just never know what you will get.

kitkat
09-14-2005, 05:36 PM
)(&%#(*^%@#(&(%*^##(%^#)%&(#^#(

NO YARN!

KnittinKitten
09-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Hey Kemp - I saw the online ad for the sewing machine at TM this week and am thinking about going over there tonight to see it. I've never had a sewing machine before and this price looks good for a beginner. Did you get the Brother one? I only want a machine to use for some of my knitting projects ... like sewing cording, ribbon, etc. on pillow covers and such. I've also knitted a couple of eyeglass cases with fabric (NOT easy work!) and want to sew them with up a machine, rather than by hand.
:XX:

kitkat
09-14-2005, 06:05 PM
No sewing machines at the one by me either.......just remember, when they are out of stuff, they are out!

kemp
09-14-2005, 06:14 PM
I did get the brother, but I haven't decided whether to keep it or not. I want to check around online first to see what people have to say about it. When I went, it was the last one so I had to make a "snap" decision. If you are going to make a special trip, I would call them first. I went to two other TM today to see if they had more yarn, and they DIDN'T have any sewing machines...said they had sold out on Tuesday morning.

Ingrid
09-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Is Tuesday Morning a store like Joanne's or more like Michaels and AC Moore? I'm just curious. The only Tuesday Mornings we have around here come after Monday nights.

KellyK
09-14-2005, 07:01 PM
http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/

Ingrid
09-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks. The nearest ones to me aren't so near. Looks like a good place to have around, though.

KnittinKitten
09-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Well, I did make the trek to TM to buy the sewing machine and found out they sold out of all of them the first hour they opened. I should have waited to read your email and call first. Lesson learned. They only had one little basket of yarn and it was all marginal. The stash remains static.

After going to Tuesday Morning I couldn't resist a stop at Hobby Lobby - all needles and accessories were 1/2 off! I bought 4 more pair of bamboo needles, a thimble thingie for Fair Isle knitting, a yarn end weaver, the cute little sheep measuring tape, and a few other goodies I can't even remember - all for $20.00. Score!
:XX:

kemp
09-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Is Tuesday Morning a store like Joanne's or more like Michaels and AC Moore? I'm just curious. The only Tuesday Mornings we have around here come after Monday nights.

It's kind of more like a TJ Maxx or Stein Mart??? Except almost no clothing. It is a prety good place to have around...sometimes they have really interesting or designer/designerish stuff.

KnittinKitten...at least you didn't come home empty handed! I hit Hobby Lobby on Monday for that sale too.

InterNette
09-15-2005, 09:30 AM
I always hear things about Hobby lobby, none here sniff sniff. I guess it is just as well the way I buy fabric and yarn. We do have a tuesday morning I will have to go in there for sure.
I dont know if your ladies who are looking at brothers sewing machines have a costco near you? Ours has them on display for $199.00 and the stitch patterns are amazing.

KnittinKitten
09-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi Kemp,

I was wondering if you decided to keep the Brother sewing machine and, if you did, what do you think about it? I'm looking for a small, portable, relatively inexpensive machine to help with finishing up some of my projects and I have no idea where to start.

Julie
09-26-2005, 11:56 AM
KnittenKitten, do you have a sewing machine repair shop near you? That's where I got my machine -- it's an older model, but they had refurbished it. IMO, they just don't make 'em like they used to, so I was looking for an older machine.

I just walked in, looked around, and said, "I'd just like a sewing machine that sews back and forth, with zigzag if at all possible." The went into the back and pulled this one out -- it's a Singer and has about 30 stitches as well as an automatic buttonhole feature. It even still had the groovy manual from the 1960's! All for $50. How can you go wrong? :D

KnittinKitten
09-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Wow, Julie -- that's zackly what I'm lookin' for. Thanks for the great idea.

:::looking for sewing maching stores online & phone book. STILL not working today!:::

koolbreeze
09-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Walmart and target hove sewing machines i got my Singer regular 199.00 on clearance for 98 @ Target.

kitkat
09-26-2005, 05:56 PM
I don't know if I posted this before (and if I did, please excuse the brain fart), but you can get a nifty portable little sewing machine that is pretty heavy duty at Sears for $99, often on sale for &79. Many ladies on one of the quilt lists I belong to, including myself have bought these little machines....they do great and they fit into a 24 pack cooler!!! We called it Baby Blue because of the light blue color, I think it also comes in pistachio green. Well worth the money IMO!

koolbreeze
09-26-2005, 06:02 PM
i saw a little sewing machine at Hobby Lobby. it was about 6 or 7 inches tall and about 4 to 5 inches wide!! it was so cute!

KnittinKitten
09-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the ideas for a small, portable, inexpensive sewing machine. I checked with our local used sewing machine/vacuum store (why are these two items always sold and repaired together!?!?) and they have used ones starting at $100. I think I'd rather have a new one from Sears or Target for about the same price. Guess I know where I'll be this weekend - IF I can wait that long!

:waving:

Sara
09-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Don't think that a sewing machine will be automatically better because it's new. The ones made in the sixties and seventies are metal and sturdy. You can still get parts for Singer models that are over 50 years old. My machine is a 1961 Singer (older than I am) and it runs like a dream.

I'm not telling you to avoid new ones, just be sure of the quality of any machine you get. DD bought a new White brand machine two years ago, and I really like hers, too. She has a really cool function for doing hems. We do lots of apparel sewing, so we appreciate the bells and whistles. ;) Someday, I will have a serger.