PDA

View Full Version : OT Discussion...No, seriously

bekahdrmom
09-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Have you ever noticed how these topics start about one thing and end up on something completely not even in the same universe as what it started out as? (Yeah, you have...admit it.)

Well, I'm starting another running thread on just that...let's see how many topics we can cover in one thread. I really like this because it really drives my OCD up a wall when I change the subject, or keep a tangent going. This way, my OCD gets a nice kick in the hiney :D

Okay, so have fun with this. Or bear with me, depending on your perspective.

Let's say the first topic is...what's your OCD habit?

(BTW, mine's continuity, if you couldn't tell.)

jodstr2
09-20-2005, 05:39 PM
I have to check my stove/fridge/doors like 347560273608767557 times before I leave the house. *I* don't want to be the one who left stuff on or unlocked if anything happens to the house.

bekahdrmom
09-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Yeah, see, I'm the one who doesn't check them, and then I swear that I didn't do it. So it drives me nuts til I go home to make sure. (Then I wanna kick myself when I see that it's done and I came all the way home for nothing.)

Do you have a number habit? My number is 4. Everything is in 4's. Hey, maybe THAT'S why I love patterns that repeat in 4's :shock:

I :heart: having an epiphany!

Mer
09-20-2005, 06:03 PM
I have to check my stove/fridge/doors like 347560273608767557 times before I leave the house. *I* don't want to be the one who left stuff on or unlocked if anything happens to the house.

OMG! I thought I was the only one who did that.

Ingrid
09-20-2005, 06:10 PM
I'm OCD about having my socks match my pants. :rollseyes: I've been known to change pants if the socks I want aren't available.

koolbreeze
09-20-2005, 06:29 PM
dumb question... what does OCD mean? :oops:

Danielle
09-20-2005, 06:33 PM
OCD means obsessive compulsive disorder I think...

Ingrid
09-20-2005, 06:33 PM
OCD translates to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Anything that you just HAVE to do or you feel anxious about it.

(The true disorder is much bigger.)

Anne
09-20-2005, 06:38 PM
obsessive compulsion disorder.

Before i go to bed each night i check to make the doors and all windows are double locked.

I know my DH often times will check before i do but i still have to check things for myself.

KellyK
09-20-2005, 08:29 PM
I organize my dishdrain EXACTLY the same way every time I do dishes.

I cut my food into the same sized pieces before I eat it. I actually get a train of thought running through my head about how to EQUALLY divide a particular piece of food. French Toast works VERY well for this.

I tend to eat my food in "layers" whenever possible. I eat the chocolate off the outside of a Snickers bar first. I eat the frosting off the cake separately.

I wont even START talking about how i do laundry. :rollseyes:

I tend to only obsess about things that dont affect anyone else. I like to control the little things in life so I can handle the BIG ones with ease! ;)

Carol_OH
09-20-2005, 08:32 PM
*looks at KK* is your last name Monk by any chance? ;)

how much is TMI? ("too much information")

errr, I have to go to the bathroom immediately before I go to sleep, which means if I don't fall asleep after a trip to the bathroom, I'm waking up my DH to go again, and if then I don't fall asleep - you get the idea!

:rollseyes:

Carol_OH
09-20-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm OCD about having my socks match my pants. :rollseyes: I've been known to change pants if the socks I want aren't available.

same here - but eerr I have to have my underwear match my outfit as well. Sigh.

Ingrid
09-20-2005, 08:35 PM

same here - but eerr I have to have my underwear match my outfit as well. Sigh.

My underwear is on it's own!! :roflhard:

dustinac
09-20-2005, 08:35 PM
My needles are kept in a case I made organized by size...
All Knitting items have their space...
The placemats on my dinning table have to be placed equally apart from the center, each other and edge of table.. dh loves to move one and then see me set the whole table again...
My children's playroom is organized in bins.. so when they are done playing each toy goes in its correct bin...
All movies are put up ABC order...
Your shoes come off at my door and are place neatly on a shoe rack...
The clothes in my closet go from dark to light
My shoes are arranged by color too..
My dressers are color arranged..
So are my kids.. edited their clothes
If I don't finish something it drives me crazy...
I will then drive you crazy...
I have to check all doors and stove as well before I leave the house and before I go to sleep...
The cushion on our futon has to be a certain way...
Our pillows on our bed do too..
The dishes and all groceries are put away properly...
uuuumm.. think I'll stop now sure dh keep ya going he likes to do something and then try to break me of my OCD!!!!

Roo's baby afghan he made me leave the mistakes cause I caught them so far up he said its your first just leave them so I had to go rearrange my towels and wash rags (by color and everything is folded a certain way)... I then made flowers and butterflies to cover the mistakes although I still know what they hide grrrr

:oops: :oops: :oops: :rollseyes:

My children don't do this neither does my dh although I have noticed my little boy is picking up on the toy thing...

KellyK
09-20-2005, 08:38 PM
So are my kids.....
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

dustinac
09-20-2005, 08:39 PM
:roflhard: ooppssss I meant their clothes :roflhard: :roflhard:

misstialouise
09-20-2005, 08:41 PM
I honestly can NOT think of any ocd like habits....

Ingrid
09-20-2005, 08:52 PM
dustinac--there's medication for what ails you!

InterNette
09-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Ingrid i was wondering , dont they make a medicine for that?

The only thing I can think of is my cats have to be in bed when lights out or I cant sleep without them,

Vendie
09-20-2005, 10:01 PM
When I go to the grocery store, I have to go up and down the aisles in a very particular manner - every aisle, in the same direction everytime. If I go down an aisle in the opposite direction it UNERVES me. Drives my husband absolutely crazy. We can't go to the store together. But - if I am allowed to shop this way, I don't need a list, I can remember everything. It's when I'm forced to go a different way that I forget half of the things on my list (even when it's right in front of me)....

I'm also VERY obsessive about not dusting... :roflhard:

koolbreeze
09-20-2005, 10:07 PM
my ocd is not cleaning... and i obsess about what i didn't do and how my DH deserves to come home to a clean house... but i spent ALL day on here talkin 2 u guys! :thumbsup:

feministmama
09-20-2005, 10:22 PM
I'm also VERY obsessive about not dusting... :roflhard:

I was gonna say that about washing dishes. Especially silverware. I HATE washing silverware but I expect it to be crytally clean when I pull out something from the drawer. (and glasses too. Dontcha hate having real thirst and getting ready to pour your favorite drink you notice some old food stuck to the glass? EEEWWWWWWW!!!)

feministmama
09-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Actually I hate cleaning period but I always WANT everything to be clean. It's like I'm really OCD about being clean but since I don't really have OCD then I am not motivated to clean it. So stuff gets unorganized and messy and then I get all edgy and nervous but there's either not enough time to organize EVERYTHING or really what happens is I just don't want to do it so I just live with the stress of it.

Ingrid
09-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Actually I hate cleaning period but I always WANT everything to be clean. It's like I'm really OCD about being clean but since I don't really have OCD then I am not motivated to clean it. So stuff gets unorganized and messy and then I get all edgy and nervous but there's either not enough time to organize EVERYTHING or really what happens is I just don't want to do it so I just live with the stress of it.

Oh, you speak to my heart! That's exactly how I feel about cleaning. I could have written those exact words! I feel validated! ;)

dustinac
09-20-2005, 10:45 PM

:shifty: whoo meeee???

:rofling:

Ingrid
09-20-2005, 10:49 PM

:shifty: whoo meeee???

:rofling:

Actually, I think you should pay a visit to feministmama's house and my house and get it all out of your system. Then we can relax in our clean, organized houses, and you'll be so spent you might even put the white washclothes in with the blue! :happydance:

dustinac
09-20-2005, 10:51 PM
:roflhard: honestly I wish I could be laid back more like my dh.. he keeps me grounded I think I'd enjoy things more if I was :D

koolbreeze
09-20-2005, 10:54 PM
femi you are my other twin!!!!! thats how i feel i want a clean house i just want somone else to do it!!!! i stay home ALL DAY and can't get a dang thing done!!! sad ain't iT!!! :rollseyes:

LisaD715
09-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Ok...my turn....oh boy, I have to actually admit this stuff.

First of all...I cannot leave work with a messy desk. All the files on my side table are organized by what needs to be done, and order recieved. All my pens and paper have to be put away, I even organize how and where they are put. (I went to Wal-mart and bought one of those three drawer bins that is teeny tiny so it fits neatly on my desk. Everything has a place and everything has to be in it's place before I leave for the day. If I come to work and my desk is messy, I cannot get organized all day.

I cannot stand being late for ANYTHING...I will call my hairdresser/doctors/family members/etc if I am going to be a few minutes late. If I am late to work, I feel rushed all day. (I lived with a man who was late for EVERYTHING...I would tell him we needed to be there 30 minutes before we actually needed to be there, so he would be on time.)

Dishes have to be washed in a certain order...glasses, silverware, plates, plastics then pots and pans, and if the water gets lukewarm inbetween, I change it...has to be hot water (red hands hot).

I will not drink out of a can, it has to go into a cup or glass.

I have to have something hot to drink every morning...could be tea, coffee or hot chocolate, but it has to be hot...and no I don't sing.

I can's sleep without the dog next to me (on the floor).

I never leave my knitting on the sofa or table (just put it down), it is always put away in a bag.

Ok....I think I freaked everyone out enough for one day.....

Ingrid
09-20-2005, 11:32 PM
None of that is freaky. Now if you said you have to turn the light switch on and off exactly 7 times as you entered the kitchen or your dog would get sick, and that if you didn't lock and unlock the door exactly 11 times the neighbor would burn your house down, and if you had to chew each bite exactly 37 times or you would get a pimple on your nose, then I'd say your were really freaky and needed help.

This is what REAL OCD looks like.

You guys are neat freaks! :rofling:

mintdee
09-20-2005, 11:36 PM

Oh, you speak to my heart! That's exactly how I feel about cleaning. I could have written those exact words! I feel validated! ;)

I just fit in more and more everyday :roflhard:

I am not all that OCD. My DH on the other hand? :shock: hehehe

MaryS
09-21-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm with Ingrid and Femmi on the cleaning.LOL
I WANT everything to be clean and in its place, but I just CAN'T make myself take the time to actually DO it. There's so much else I'd rather do - knit, read, knit, sleep, knit, take a walk, knit, visit my kids, knit. You get the idea.

I think right now the only thing I'm really OCD about is KNITTING! :roflhard: :roflhard: (and KH!) :cheering: :cheering:

Mary

margie
09-21-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm not REALLY ocd about anything- I can be a leeetle particular about some things- like, I can't stand the way my husband loads the dishwasher- it's all "wrong"! Although, if he loads it, I'm just glad to not have to do it myself!

I used to have all my kids toys organized in bins- the cars went in one bin, the balls in another, etc.-- but that one went by the wayside a long while ago. :rollseyes:

knitwit
09-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Let's seeeeeee......
I check, double check and sometimes triple check to make sure that doors & windows are locked (esp. in the basement at night!)
When I leave the house in the AM- I wait in the driveway to make sure that the garage door goes all the way down.
Everything in the closet is for the current season, lightest to darkest - left to right in like kind order (t shirts, skirts, pants) and then each season is rotated out to be replaced with the next season.
My silverware drawer is neatly organized, spices are in alpha order and pantry is in meal order (bkfst items on one shelf, lunch, dinner items on other shelves)
The dishwasher has to be loaded a certain way- DH is not allowed to load it because he puts the silverware in wrong side down and the glasses aren't lined up.
The bed has to be completely made before I will get into bed- if the bed isnt made and I climb in, I cant sleep.
I wont leave work until everything on my desk is put away.
I wont bring junk mail into my house - it immediately goes into the trash can.
I've been told that I am borderline OCD - but I like to think of it as particular!
;)

jodstr2
09-21-2005, 01:13 PM
When I leave the house in the AM- I wait in the driveway to make sure that the garage door goes all the way down.
Everything in the closet is for the current season, lightest to darkest - left to right in like kind order (t shirts, skirts, pants) and then each season is rotated out to be replaced with the next season.

:thumbsup: :cheering:

I do the garage door thing too. sometimes, like this morning, I will actually pull a U-turn at the end of my street to go back to see if I really closed it.

and my clothes in the closet, tho not season-keyed, are arranged in a sort of spectrum - starting with green and ending with black.

margie
09-21-2005, 01:43 PM
OKAY you guys, you are starting to make me feel like quite the unorganized slob!!! I'm glad you can't see my house........okay gotta go clean now! :waving:

bubba
09-21-2005, 02:18 PM
And, like me....when you put an envelope in the mailbox, do you reopen the slot to make sure it went down??? My husband laughs at me everytime I do it!

pat.

jodstr2
09-21-2005, 02:21 PM
OKAY you guys, you are starting to make me feel like quite the unorganized slob!!! I'm glad you can't see my house........okay gotta go clean now! :waving:

no no no noooo margie... no worries. my house is messy. DANG messy. papers all over the place, junk mail all over the place, cat hair all over the place, books, yarn, you name it. the closet, only IF clothes are actually on hangers (big IF there), is arranged by color.

rebecca
09-21-2005, 04:19 PM
:thinking: Gotta be the monogamous knitter thing. I only knit one thing at the time until it's complete, then begin the next project. If it's a particularly large project like an afghan, I will do a fun, quick project about 1/2 way through, then finish said project.
My sister has reminded me that I have been like that about all things 'arts & crafts' that I have ever done; x stitch, needlepoint, painting, whatever the particular craft, I would complete one project before beginning the next, never more than one at the time going.
Other than that...I'm really laid back about most everything ;)
Of course, I'm laid back in my knitting...just one project at the time :D

AidanM
09-21-2005, 04:36 PM
My routine. Ohhh boy, if you get in the way of me mananging my time..Woe Be You! I hate when people tell me "You're running late!", because I'm PERFECTLY AWARE of how "late" I may be - In fact, my routine is designed to accomodate weird things like lateness.

Another thing I'm totally OCD about is lights. They go on when I enter the room, they go off when I leave. I HATE when people leave lights on all over the house and they're just sitting in one spot.

And that leads me to wastefulness. I am such an INCREDIBLE pack rat because I cannot help but think, "What if I need it?" or "I'd like to use this for something someday." I hate to waste. I always eat all of the food on my plate, even if I'm full. So I usually get lots of seconds and thirds because I take small portions. Leftovers must be eaten before anything new is cooked. I know, I'm weird.

koolbreeze
09-21-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm with Jodi except instead of cat hair i have dog hair once a year in the summer for one month.
Aidan~ that is a good conceot about not making anything eles till all the leftovers are cone!!!

mintdee
09-21-2005, 06:36 PM
This is the most on task that I have seen a thread! c'mon ladies and gents lets mess with bekahdrmom's OCD! Wheres the unorganization?! :roflhard: :devil:

Ingrid
09-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Boobs!

mintdee
09-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Where!?

:roflhard: :roflhard:

misstialouise
09-21-2005, 07:56 PM
HERE!!

<flashes>

koolbreeze
09-21-2005, 08:04 PM
see we just had to go there!!!!!

KellyK
09-21-2005, 08:22 PM
And, ya didnt even need ME to do it! :P

mintdee
09-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Kelly... Why is your WWW a retirement home site?

Inquireing minds want to know :P

KellyK
09-21-2005, 08:28 PM
THat's where I work! :heart:

mintdee
09-21-2005, 08:31 PM
I thought so just thought that I should clarify incase there was some other strange reason that needed to be known...:??

Yea I know I need help :rollseyes:

punkhippiemom
09-22-2005, 01:51 PM
pssst...it's not really a retirement home... it's KK's own personal sweatshop... she tricks these nice little old ladies into knitting stuff for her, and then she passes it off as hers... haven't you ever wondered how KK can post thousands of times, watch the birdies, spend time with her DH, work a full time job and knit so fast??? She's got them knitting away on her dozens of pairs of clogs right now...

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

in case of any confusion,
I AM ONLY JOKING!!
We all know Kelly :heart: WUVS :heart: her folks at the home!!

KellyK
09-22-2005, 02:20 PM
:roflhard: Sorry...I cant verify that because of HIPAA laws. :roflhard:

rebecca
09-22-2005, 02:35 PM
pssst...it's not really a retirement home... it's KK's own personal sweatshop... she tricks these nice little old ladies into knitting stuff for her, and then she passes it off as hers... haven't you ever wondered how KK can post thousands of times, watch the birdies, spend time with her DH, work a full time job and knit so fast??? She's got them knitting away on her dozens of pairs of clogs right now...

in case of any confusion,
I AM ONLY JOKING!!
We all know Kelly :heart: WUVS :heart: her folks at the home!!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Rebecca, you've got it!! And I always thought it was the KK clones.
FYI, for those who are new & not aware, Kelly is a very fast knitter, poster on the site, etc. We :heart: :heart: KK and she's very fun to mess around with bc she gives as good as she gets ;)
And she has clones

mintdee
09-22-2005, 02:55 PM
I knew there was a reason other than the innocent ol I work there excuse! And here she looks all kind and "innocent" *cough cough* in her picture.

KellyK
09-22-2005, 03:00 PM
:shifty: *shuffles feet while looking up & around and biting my fingernail*

Ingrid
09-22-2005, 03:35 PM
*sigh* Those poor, old British women, with their arthritis and cramped fingers, sitting in their wheelchairs, knitting for supper. Shame on you Kelly Louise, or whatever your real name is!

mintdee
09-22-2005, 03:47 PM
I bet she all sweet and loving while the family is there and then switches personalities as soon as the family leaves.
The nerve :shock:

The things that you put up with Kelly :roflhard:

Ingrid
09-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Too bad Joan Crawford isn't around anymore. She could play her in the movie, "Nursing Home Horror" :roflhard:

KellyK
09-22-2005, 03:57 PM
We dont like to say "Nursing Home". We prefer "Retirement Community".

mintdee
09-22-2005, 03:58 PM

misstialouise
09-22-2005, 06:59 PM
In Australia, Nursing Homes & Retirement Communities are VERY different things...

VERY

seriously.. they are.

Ingrid
09-22-2005, 07:02 PM
They generally are here, too, but a nursing home was a better setting for my movie! :rofling:

AidanM
09-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Or "Retired In Hell"

KellyK
09-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Well, "retirement community", to me, means a place with several different care options....like ours, ranges from Independent Living to Health Care and Rehabilitation. That LAST part is what folks think of as a "nursing home".

AidanM
09-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Hmm, interesting. So, how did you become a nurse?

KellyK
09-22-2005, 09:15 PM
I did not become a nurse...I am the Executive Assistant and half of the Resource Development team (fundraising).
;)
Actually, I went to nursing school right out of HS and didnt finish...I kinda "fell" into this after a NUMBER of years...

Ingrid
09-22-2005, 09:16 PM
So I take it we're officially off the OCD subject?

KellyK
09-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Yes, Ingy...now we're talking about my place of employment and my career development. :P

Ingrid
09-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Excuuuuuuuse me! :shifty:

jodstr2
09-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Yes, Ingy...now we're talking about my place of employment and my career development. :P

what? you moonlighting on us? :??
this place of employment you speak of - is it otherwise known as that pesky chore you have to do which interrupts your whip-crackin' Wine Goddess-ness?

KellyK
09-22-2005, 10:19 PM
That's the one, Jod!! :doh:

Ingy...I wasnt being snippy! I dont know HOW to be snippy! At least not SERIOUSLY snippy.... :shifty:

mintdee
09-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Muahaha

I am the cause of the thread derailment! :thumbsup:

:?? Is it sad that makes me happy?

Ingrid
09-22-2005, 11:35 PM
That's the one, Jod!! :doh:

Ingy...I wasnt being snippy! I dont know HOW to be snippy! At least not SERIOUSLY snippy.... :shifty:

I know! It was a Steve Martin 'Excuuuuuse Me!' :lol:

KellyK
09-23-2005, 12:24 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooh! I get it!

:??

Joel
09-23-2005, 10:41 AM
KK would please explain your sig to me... I totally got the marathon thing (it was an action compared to an action - knitting) but what's up with the marble? I've been puzzling on this for days.... yeah marble is hard but how does that compare to knitting?

bekahdrmom
09-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Oh, I'm SO lovin this thread! So many different topics! My OCD is definitely goin haywire. I may actually develop a twitch :?eyebrow: (That's my eyebrow twitching there)

Okay, so at least the truth has finally come out about Kelly's knitting. And to think I actually felt like a slacker b/c I couldn't keep up. Shame on you Kelly :fingerwag:

Haha, just kidding...you know I love ya! And I, like Joel, totally did not understand the marble thing...until he brought it up. And then... :figureditout: I GET IT! HAHA, that's hilarious! You're such the joker :thumbsup:

So, I was thinking, when are you gonna link a blog???

feministmama
09-23-2005, 02:00 PM
KK would please explain your sig to me... I totally got the marathon thing (it was an action compared to an action - knitting) but what's up with the marble? I've been puzzling on this for days.... yeah marble is hard but how does that compare to knitting?

yeah I don't get that either :??

LisaD715
09-24-2005, 02:42 PM
A slab of marble is VERY hard......that is what her siggy means....knitting is easy compared to how hard the marble is.

Am I right Kel?

KellyK
09-24-2005, 07:09 PM
I know...the marble reference is LAME. But, with the links in my sig, it was too long, so I had to come up with a shorter "thing". Maybe since I took out the David Sedaris link, I can put in something else now...lemme try it.

My only blog is HERE, Bek! :lol:

Edited 5 minutes later...
THERE! How's THAT?? :mrgreen:

Ingrid
09-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Touching your ear with your tongue isn't hard, nor difficult--it's impossible!!

KellyK
09-24-2005, 07:15 PM
*MumbleGrumbleMissPickyPantsMumbleGrumble*

Ingrid
09-24-2005, 07:16 PM
But I imagine if you could do it you'd be real popular with the gents!

KellyK
09-24-2005, 07:19 PM
:shock: INGRID ELIZABETH LOUISE!!! :shock:

Ingrid
09-24-2005, 07:22 PM
:roflhard: :eyebrow:

KellyK
09-24-2005, 07:24 PM
You amused yourself a little there, didntcha? :rollseyes:

Ingrid
09-24-2005, 07:26 PM
What can I tell you, I'm bored. I guess I'll go do the dishes. :verysad:

koolbreeze
09-24-2005, 07:29 PM
dang it... i was gonna invite you to do mine but i did them earlier! :doh:

mintdee
09-24-2005, 07:33 PM
What can I tell you, I'm bored. I guess I'll go do the dishes. :verysad:
If you feel the same way about dishes that I do you MUST be bored!

Poor Ingy :lol:

KellyK
09-24-2005, 07:38 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!! COME BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Yer FUNNY! :heart:

Ingrid
09-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Just how long does it take to throw a few plates in the dishwasher? I've been back for a while. The boys are taking turns talking to my oldest daughter on the phone, so I probably have an hour or two. :rofling: Between the three of them :rollseyes:

LisaD715
09-24-2005, 08:51 PM
So when did everyone get Louise names and where was I?!?!?!?!

Ingrid
09-24-2005, 08:53 PM
So when did everyone get Louise names and where was I?!?!?!?!

I'm not sure exactly when. Maybe you should go ask Joel Louise!! :rofling:

LisaD715
09-24-2005, 08:58 PM
Yeah, leave it to my bud to leave me out.......lol

I have a friend who calls me Lisa Marie.......my middle name is not Marie, but it makes her smile

Ingrid
09-24-2005, 09:01 PM
I can't remember whose blog or what thread it started in. I do remember that Kelly started it!!

I don't have very good luck searching for things here. I always get 733 finds.

koolbreeze
09-24-2005, 09:09 PM
ME TOOO! What is up with that?

KellyK
09-24-2005, 09:41 PM
I have a theory that EVERYONE's name sounds good with Louise...

Lisa Louise
Ingrid Louise (I throw in an Elizabeth when Im REALLY shocked!)
Joel Louise
Alan Louise (DH)
Madilyn Louise (my dog, who started me going on this theory)

LisaD715
09-24-2005, 10:22 PM
I am not sure Lisa Louise sounds all that good..... :roflhard:

MaryB
09-24-2005, 10:25 PM
OK----------I object! I have two names and I hate it! It took me many years to drop the Beth from my name. I like being Mary or Mar. I will not be Mary Louise. You can't make me----nah nah nah ah boo boo! :P

Leaves the room stomping her foot!

koolbreeze
09-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Lisa~ then you would be LL!
i got you all beat with Louise sounding bad... Carmell Louise yuck!

Ingrid
09-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Yeah, sounds like Carmell Ouise!

AidanM
09-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Aidan Louise sounds weird.
My real first and middle names sound decent enough together, but danged if any of you find them out! :P

punkhippiemom
09-25-2005, 10:25 AM
OOOOOH :shock:
That sounds like a challenge to me....
But if we guess one you have to be honest and say so... :fingerwag:

KellyK
09-25-2005, 11:58 AM
I will not be Mary Louise. You can't make me----nah nah nah ah boo boo! :P
Leaves the room stomping her foot!

But,.....I mean it AFFECTIONATELY! :shifty:

And, yeah...Carmell Louise may be the only one Ive come across that does not have a ring to it...

Aidan Louise and Lisa Louise sound FANTASTIC! What are you 2 talking about??? :?eyebrow:

jodstr2
09-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Yeah, leave it to my bud to leave me out.......lol

I have a friend who calls me Lisa Marie.......my middle name is not Marie, but it makes her smile

I'm Jodi Marie.

I was almost Annabelle Marie. Mom and Dad wanted to name me after the neighbor's cow :rofling:.

punkhippiemom
09-25-2005, 12:19 PM
:roflhard: That has got to be the funniest thing ever :roflhard:

jodstr2
09-25-2005, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't have minded the name Annabelle, but not if they wanted to name me after the cow :roflhard:.

AidanM
09-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Yech. Aidan Louise. I'll never understand you completetly, I tells ya's.

KellyK
09-25-2005, 01:15 PM
We just IS who we IS, darlin! :rofling:

LisaD715
09-25-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm Jodi Marie.

I was almost Annabelle Marie. Mom and Dad wanted to name me after the neighbor's cow :rofling:.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: omg, you got me beat

bekahdrmom
09-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Okay, I'm gone for 3 days (power outage...AGAIN...thanks a LOT, Rita!) and this thing is just ... :roflhard:

So tell me...how does Rebekah Louise sound to y'all? :eyebrow: Hmm, might have to retire that one before I even use it. :thinking:

Hey, Jodi, did your parents wanna name you after the cow cuz they liked the name, or the cow? jk ;) I named my son (Drake) after a restaurant I went to once. But it wasn't cuz I liked the restaurant (which I did even though it was ridiculously expensive). I just fell in love with the name. But I'm still trying to think of another story before DS gets old enough to question me about his namesake :lol:

Joel
09-26-2005, 02:29 PM
OK.... as to how this whole "Louise" thing got started.....

go look here! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=38402&highlight=ingrid+louise#38402)

Sorry Lisa about not bringing you up to speed on that, it happened like over a month ago and I thought you had already caught it.

LisaD715
09-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Joel...I was teasing.....you know I love ya!!! I just had to laugh about the whole Louise thing. I really don't think Lisa Louise sounds good.

Whatcha working on?

KellyK
09-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Rebekah Louise sounds GREAT! I think its a syllabic thing...Im not sure. Im not saying Louise is the prettiest name in the world, Im just saying it "works" somehow with 99.9% of first names! (that 0.1% contains the name Carmell.)

bekahdrmom
09-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Syllabic :thinking: That's just fun to say ;) Ooh, kinda like antidisestablishmentarianism :D

Okay, this is one of those moments when I realize I have way too much fun with some things

punkhippiemom
09-26-2005, 04:40 PM
I love saying this word - syzygy (http://aolsvc.merriam-webster.aol.com/home-aol.htm). Sounds so neat...
And it's one of the few words in the English language with no (traditional) vowels in it... like rhythm.

I like words, what can I say....

Joel
09-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Ooh, kinda like antidisestablishmentarianism :D

Okay, this is one of those moments when I realize I have way too much fun with some things

OK... so can you say that backwards? :roflhard:

bekahdrmom
09-26-2005, 05:02 PM
OK... so can you say that backwards? :roflhard:

:thinking: Well, it was hard enough to spell it forwards, but here's a shot...

msinairatnemhsilbatsesiditna

:roflhard:

koolbreeze
09-26-2005, 06:09 PM
HA HA KK!!!

i have an Aunt Louise, and Cousin Louise and a younger cousin named Louise Lucelle or the other way around... i forget which way we just call her LL!

KellyK
09-26-2005, 06:56 PM
I love saying this word - syzygy (http://aolsvc.merriam-webster.aol.com/home-aol.htm).

That looks like a POLISH word!

Ingrid
09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
According to the dictionary, it's from the Greek for whatever that's worth!

KellyK
09-26-2005, 07:03 PM
I know...I saw that, but Polish words have ALOT of Y's in them...most of them next to S's or Z's

bekahdrmom
09-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Really?? I didn't know that! At first when I saw "syzygy", I thought it was a joke! Haha, boy do I feel sheepish :blush:

So do Polish words sound in Polish the way they look like they'd sound in English? If so, man, that'd make for a crack-up of a conversation!

Ingrid
09-27-2005, 04:37 PM
So, I bet in your wild dreams, you never thought this thread would end up discussing syzygy, now did you??

KellyK
09-27-2005, 05:25 PM
The Y's sound like short i's..
the i's, on the other hand, sound like long E's.

there are lots of ZH and CH sounds....

bekahdrmom
09-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Hehe, speaking of dreams...I just realized something.

(Quick background, my mom died after being in a coma for 5 days when I was 18. The last time I talked to her was hours before my high school graduation, and she died less than a month before my (then) only sister's wedding.) I am constantly having dreams about me, my sister (who has lived in Utah for the last 5 years), and my mom doing normal day-to-day things that pertain to things going on in my life. Aaah, that's confusing, huh? In other words, when I went to Australia to marry DH and meet his family, I was having dreams that the 3 of us were there. When I found out I was prego, I had a dream that the 3 of us were celebrating about it. And this type of thing happens ALL THE TIME! And I only just realized it!

What kinda dreams do u have? :D

Andrea
09-27-2005, 06:46 PM
I love saying this word - syzygy (http://aolsvc.merriam-webster.aol.com/home-aol.htm). Sounds so neat...

But how do you pronounce?? I've been sounding outloud and I know I sound like a 4 year old

KellyK
09-27-2005, 07:37 PM
SI-zi-gee
(both are short i's)

punkhippiemom
09-27-2005, 10:13 PM
*ahem* Don't you mean short Y's????

[...]And this type of thing happens ALL THE TIME! And I only just realized it!

What kinda dreams do u have?[...]

I think Bek has made a breakthrough in her need to stick to the topic and now gets upset if we go too long w/o changing the subject!!! :roflhard:
:thumbsup: Good for you!!

I have very weird dreams, that always seem so enlightening when I'm asleep, and like a bad Monty Python routine as soon as I wake up. Or they're completely nonsensical at all times, and I'll catch myself (while I'm dreaming!!) asking 'WTH?? What is that all about??'

I had very scary, bad bad nightmares when I was pregnant. Ugh. Not cool at all.

Ingrid
09-27-2005, 10:19 PM
The weirdest pregnancy dream I ever had was that I gave birth to a spiced ham sandwich. My biggest concern was how to have it put back. :rollseyes: :rollseyes:

And even though my mother died in 1990, I still dream that I find her alive and well and am so angry at myself for not remembering that she didn't die, and missing out all these years. But then I see how well she is and realize that I have lots of time. I always wake up kind of sad.

I almost erased that because it's kind of a bummer, but WTH you asked.

mintdee
09-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Weirdest pregnancy dream for me... Reoccuring every time I got pregnant I would have it over and over. I would dream that I am out and about when all of the sudden the baby kicks so hard that his/her foot breaks out of my stomache and while I head to the hospital I am holding the babies foot and singing to it. funnily enough I am not scared or worried at all. :thinking: :?? odd. :roflhard:

punkhippiemom
09-27-2005, 10:38 PM
The weirdest pregnancy dream I ever had was that I gave birth to a spiced ham sandwich. My biggest concern was how to have it put back. :rollseyes: :rollseyes:

And even though my mother died in 1990, I still dream that I find her alive and well and am so angry at myself for not remembering that she didn't die, and missing out all these years. But then I see how well she is and realize that I have lots of time. I always wake up kind of sad.

I almost erased that because it's kind of a bummer, but WTH you asked.

I was bummed out, but then I looked back at your spiced ham sandwich and started :roflhard: ...

It's hard having dreams about people that have passed... I can see why you'd wake up sad, but how wonderful to see your mother well. ((hug for Ingy))

Ingrid
09-27-2005, 10:40 PM
You know, it's really reassuring that in my dreams I remember her in such detail. Sometimes I dream about my kids when they were little, and it just shows that it's all in there, just waiting to be pulled back out.

beldaraan
09-27-2005, 11:58 PM
According to the dictionary, it's from the Greek for whatever that's worth!
I love baclava!!! Drizzly honey running down my face makes it even better!!!

bekahdrmom
09-28-2005, 10:02 AM
I think Bek has made a breakthrough in her need to stick to the topic and now gets upset if we go too long w/o changing the subject!!! :roflhard:
:thumbsup: Good for you!!

:shock: EUREKA! I think you're right! WooHoo :happydance:

Although I must say it was worth it for the ham sandwich visual ;)

{{Hugs}} Ingrid...I understand. I've had that kinda dream too about realizing she was still alive, a few years ago. I had it a few times and every time I kept waking up wishing it were real.

AidanM
09-28-2005, 10:44 AM
So. How 'bout them Yankees?

koolbreeze
09-28-2005, 10:54 AM
i'm with u Aidan...
i don't have a clue as to what they are talking about!!!! :??

KellyK
09-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Aidan...... :roflhard:

dustinac
09-28-2005, 12:11 PM
:roflhard:

When I was expecting Isaiah I don't remeber any weird dreams just kept waking up with charlie horses but with Roo I would have nightmares about Isaiah.. they were awful wake up crying and dh would have to get Isaiah and put him in our bed I was soooo glad when the dreams stopped.. If I didn't dream about him then someone in my family died it was horrible...

bekahdrmom
09-28-2005, 02:12 PM
:rofling: :rofling: Okay, since you brought it up, what about them Yankees? Seriously. I don't keep up with baseball, although I am curious :D

punkhippiemom
09-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Evil Empire :evil:
But hey, hockey season's coming up!!! Pre-season has started, we're almost to the point where they might actually show a couple games on TV once in a while! :thumbsup:

DotMom61
09-29-2005, 12:50 AM
How in the world did I miss this thread?

I wonder if I can hit on all the topics so far w/out going back to look. Lets see ...

OCD -- can't think of anything I'm totally OCD about, but I bet there are some. They're just so ingrained that I don't realize it. It does kinda drive me nuts when people don't put dishes in the "right" place in the dishwasher; I have to have only a certain kind of coffee cup -- coffee *is* all about the cup, you know; I guess I'm a little obsessed about my email -- I have to check it a couple of times a day just in case something "important" comes in :rofling: ; the TV can't be too loud; and I hate to be interrupted, although I tend to be an interrupter. :oops:

Housecleaning -- love a clean house; not great at keeping it that way.

Louise -- I missed this one, too. Julie Louise ... rolls off the tongue rather nicely, I guess, and there is absolutely NO WAY you will ever hear my *real* middle name. (I was named after my *grandfather* :rollseyes: ) I do tend to agree with Kelly that it does seem to go along w/ most names: Saddam Louise, Elvis Louise, Martha Louise, Gilligan Louise. See! It works!

Dreams -- I tend to have very detailed & symbolic dreams, when I have them. I don't have dreams that much anymore. It seems like I go on a dream drought for a while, and then I have dream dumps. When I was pregnant, I had a dream that I took the baby out one night so we could play with him, and then we put him back. (We *did* have a boy, by the way, and we didn't know ahead of time.) I remember having more really bizarre dreams when I was pregnant w/ our 2nd child, but durn if I can remember 'em!

The Yankees -- blech. Go Cubbies ... next year. :verysad:

OK, and now it's *my* turn to change the subject! :figureditout:

I had this really weird dog when I was growing up. He was definitely not the sharpest tack in the box. Because of familial allergies, he lived outside (with his Mom), and when it would rain, he would take his food dish inside his nice dry dog house and sit outside in the rain and cry. It was quite heartbreaking.

KellyK
09-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Louise -- I missed this one, too. Julie Louise ... rolls off the tongue rather nicely, I guess, and there is absolutely NO WAY you will ever hear my *real* middle name. (I was named after my *grandfather* :rollseyes: ) I do tend to agree with Kelly that it does seem to go along w/ most names: Saddam Louise, Elvis Louise, Martha Louise, Gilligan Louise. See! It works!
Im SO glad you agree!!! And, funny that you tried ELVIS Louise...as I was reading that you were (middle) named after your grandfather, that's the first thing that came into my head... Julie Elvis! LOVE IT! :thumbsup:

DotMom61
09-29-2005, 09:11 AM
:doh:

bekahdrmom
09-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Busted! :lol: Although that really wouldn't be that bad. My grandfather's name was Vories. How do you think THAT would've sounded?? Rebekah Vories. Hmm :thinking: Uh, NO.

My favorite pet growing up was this cat we acquired...somehow. His name was Ty. He was grey with dark grey stripes. The thing I remember the most about him was that he had this ball at the end of his tail, as if something traumatic happened to it. And any time anyone touched anywhere near the ball, he'd attack em.

Ooh, and we had a miniature snauzer named Madison, but we called her Maddy. She was so fat! Like a small wombat (assuming you've seen one):D She was soooo spoiled. Seriously one of the family. Then oneday shortly after Mom died, she ran away and we never found her. I think she ran away to die :( But man, we loved that dog!

mintdee
09-29-2005, 05:09 PM
I have an algea eater that eats gold fish :?? Really very gross.
so needless to say I only own the old alge eater.

AidanM
09-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Busted! :lol: Although that really wouldn't be that bad. My grandfather's name was Vories. How do you think THAT would've sounded?? Rebekah Vories. Hmm :thinking: Uh, NO
...That is almost verbatim the name of a woman who works in my school district. Except she spells it differently. O.O

Mer
09-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Ooh, so back to the dreams topic...

I had the weirdest dream many years ago and I still remember it vividly. I was eating brunch with The Brady Bunch family in a sunroom when the doorbell rang. I went to answer it and a giant lobster was standing at the door. He started chasing me around the house. I also remember that in the dream I was wearing this pink and blue skirt that I really liked.

So what does that dream mean? ;)

Vendie
09-29-2005, 10:56 PM
:thinking: a giant lobster chasing you... :figureditout:

it means you have a fear of boiling water! :roflhard:

no clue!

I used to have this dream when I was little girl about this house, and I could picture it so clearly. There was this wizard and creepy magical things, and it wasn't a very pleasant dream...and I kept having this dream over and over again...

Then when I first moved to Buffalo (or Indiana, shoot I can't remember now), I (well not me, I was too young) drove past a house that looked EXACTLY like the one in my dream. It was SOOO weird, it really freaked me out! BUT I never had the dream again. *insert Twighlight Zone theme here* :shock:

Mer
09-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Oooh, freaky. My DH always dreams about tornadoes, and they're always happening at this spot right near where he grew up. He said it's always weird to drive by there.

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Ooh, so back to the dreams topic...

I had the weirdest dream many years ago and I still remember it vividly. I was eating brunch with The Brady Bunch family in a sunroom when the doorbell rang. I went to answer it and a giant lobster was standing at the door. He started chasing me around the house. I also remember that in the dream I was wearing this pink and blue skirt that I really liked.

So what does that dream mean? ;)

I think it means you have a deep longing for a large family environment, but you're afraid that someone(thing) is going to come and snatch it all away from you while you're wearing your favorite clothes.

Either that, or you ate too much lobster while you were watching TV Land right before you went to bed.

Yeah ... it's gotta be one of those things. :??

AidanM
09-30-2005, 12:57 AM
I dreamed last night that there were more people my age in the show I'm in and then all of our parents became poor and these uber-scary, ultra-religious people in really tacky, bright, white-trash/touristy clothes came and tried to round us up and I told them to p*ss off.

:?? Freud would have a field day inside my head.

jodstr2
09-30-2005, 12:57 AM
you ate too much lobster while you were watching TV Land right before you went to bed.

:roflhard: :thumbsup: :roflhard: :thumbsup:

KellyK
09-30-2005, 07:39 AM
:?? Freud would have a field day inside my head.
Freud is FULL OF IT. :thumbsup:

Mer
09-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Yes, I think I was watching too much TV Land. :D

bekahdrmom
09-30-2005, 10:34 AM
The only visual I'm getting with the lobster is the Lizzie Mcguire (sp?) dad wearing a lobster suit chasing somebody around the Brady house. (He was dressed in a lobster suit on a Disney Channel Movie I saw last week.) Hmm, that's pretty funny actually :lol:

I just thought of another dream I had once when I was a little girl that always scared the bajeebies out of me. My mom was dressed up as a scary witch (as she had done for the Halloween a couple months before) and she was trying to convince me to leave my family to go somewhere with her (she apparently wasn't my mom in this dream). Anyway, the part that freaked me out the most was that I distinctly remember her long sharp nails. At one point, she knelt down next to me and pulled me closer while she pointed to my dad. But when she did, I could actually feel one of her nails digging into my underarm. And when I woke up, I could still feel it.

So my point...I will never be dressing like a witch for Halloween, especially not for my kids to see ;)

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 10:44 AM
OMG, Bek!! That is terrifying!

bekahdrmom
09-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Yeah. I never told my mom about it, but looking back on it, I'm glad I didn't! She would have felt terrible for traumatizing her little girl! :shock:

DotMom61
09-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Yeah. I never told my mom about it, but looking back on it, I'm glad I didn't! She would have felt terrible for traumatizing her little girl! :shock:

You're a good daughter. ;)

bekahdrmom
10-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Aww thanks :blush:

Okay, so I really wanted to post to tell you I LOVE the Chicken Little Guy!!! How on earth do you find those kinda things? I want one :crying:

feministmama
10-03-2005, 11:14 AM
So here's my scary dream: I'm inside a house and all the lights are on. And I have a feeling that "it" is going to get me. And "it" has this heartbeat that is pounding and pounding and the closer it gets to me the louder the pounding. The only way to stop it is to turn off all the lights so I run around truing them all off, up and down stairs, in closets and stuff and everything all the while the pounding gets louder and louder. I finally get to the last light in the house and as I reach to turn it off "it" gets me and I wake up.

DotMom61
10-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Aww thanks :blush:

Okay, so I really wanted to post to tell you I LOVE the Chicken Little Guy!!! How on earth do you find those kinda things? I want one :crying:

Well, I kind of ran across him by accident. I was watching "Holes" on Disney after putting the kids to bed, and they ran a trailer for "Chicken Little" w/ the Numa Numa song on it. My kids *love* the Numa Numa song. So, I popped over to the Chicken Little web site to see what they had to say about it. While I was there, I found some downloads from the web site, and this was one of them.

And, speaking of Numa Numa, I guess this would be as good a place as any to post something Kelly asked me to share with everyone -- click below to see our parrot dancing to Numa Numa:

Maggie (http://www.brimanr.com/numamag.htm)

My 11yo DS took this video of her. She was actually dancing to the song, although he dubbed a better quality loop of it over the video on his web site. She has since learned how to sing the refrain of the song, but we've yet to catch her on videotape doing that.

And Femi -- your dream scares the bejeebers out of me!! Sounds like one of those where you wake sitting straight up w/ your heart pounding. :shock:

mintdee
10-03-2005, 02:17 PM
:inlove: That was the cutest thing ever! I have never heard that song before.

DotMom61
10-03-2005, 02:27 PM
:inlove: That was the cutest thing ever! I have never heard that song before.

Well, then, you simply must revisit the original post (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32081#32081) I made. We were trying to get the Llama Song out of our heads, I believe ... enjoy. ;)

koolbreeze
10-03-2005, 03:20 PM
i can't see the video!! :(

i don't have bad dreams! if i have a dream. a lot of my dreams are me fighting with someone.i had one of DH and BD (baby daddy) last night. no fighting but i know who would win DH all the way!!! :cheering:

but ya'll got some creepy dreams. :shock:

bekahdrmom
10-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Oh that was fun...sitting around on the internet looking at tons of different Numa Numa videos...as if I have no work to do. At work. :doh:

Hmm, you know what else was fun? (I promise, the Disney connection is not intended.) This morning, a co-worker and I got into a discussion about the Doodlebops (yes, I realize how sad that is), and I was determined to find a pic of the three minus all the makeup.

Ahh, the lengths we go to just to goof off at work. It might actually be easier to...work :thinking:

KellyK
10-03-2005, 05:17 PM
i can't see the video!! :(

I had to download it with the button at the bottom....stupid SECURITY software!!

YAYYYYYYY! MAGGIE ROCKS!

AidanM
10-03-2005, 07:05 PM
:rofling: I am terribly amused at how many people don't know the real name of that song.

Vendie
10-03-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm just terribly amused at dancing birdies...my birdie used to do stuff like that too. :roflhard:

DotMom61
10-04-2005, 09:15 AM
:rofling: I am terribly amused at how many people don't know the real name of that song.

Oh, I know what it is, I just can't say it or spell it, so "Numa Numa" will have to suffice. I understand it was a huge hit in Europe, but most of us dull and boring Americans only found out about because of the smash-hit video Gary put out. Go Gary! ;)

I wonder how many copies of that song O-Zone sold because of Gary's video.

DotMom61
10-04-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm just terribly amused at dancing birdies...my birdie used to do stuff like that too. :roflhard:

FG ..what kind of birdie did you have? Did I miss this somewhere?

KellyK
10-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Birdies are CUTE. Im keetsitting for my mom right now (that makes FIVE keets in my household!) and she is SOOOO sweet...weird thing, though....she wont step up on or sit on your finger, but she LOVES fingers...as soon as you put your hand in the cage, she runs over and dances and chirps and kisses on 'em!

DotMom61
10-04-2005, 11:22 AM
That's too funny ... birdies are *weird*, too. :-) You'll have to come out and visit us sometime, Kelly, so you can hold a birdie! Maggie will be your friend.

KellyK
10-04-2005, 12:53 PM
AWWWW! I WANT Maggie to be my friend!!! :cheering:

bekahdrmom
10-04-2005, 05:54 PM
I had a parakeet onetime. I named him Pongo after the dog on 101 Dalmations. He was MEAN! The second you got even remotely close, he'd bite your finger. And the one time I decided to let him out of his cage was a HUGE mistake! Picture a little girl in a teeny-tiny bathroom with a lunatic bird on the loose! Suffice it to say, I NEVER let him out of his cage again! He died a few months later but, as bad as I feel to admit it, I wasn't upset :oops:

Vendie
10-04-2005, 08:39 PM

FG ..what kind of birdie did you have? Did I miss this somewhere?

I had a cockateil named Dr. Peeper. My parents got him for me when I was 6 years old, and he just died a couple of years ago (he was 21!). I was the only person he let touch him, even after I moved out of the house. He eventually let my mom get him out of his cage, but she couldn't pet him like I could. I could tickle him under his wings, under his chin, on his belly, and he would just chirp like he was giggling. He was my little buddy! I miss him terribly, but when I see other birdies like yours, I think about him and smile. Sometimes I want to get another one, but we already have a full house.

DotMom61
10-05-2005, 10:48 AM
With birdies, you really have to work hard to socialize them to lots of people. Before I was married I had a yellow-naped Amazon. Because I lived by myself, and my BF of the time (now my husband) traveled all the time, the bird was not good with anyone but me.

With Maggie, we've made sure that everyone that comes in the house (pretty much) picks her up and holds her. The biggest thing is that she understands what "step up" means. So, even though she gets a little stubborn about it with certain people, she knows she's not gonna win that argument. ;-)

She *has* gotten a little nippy @ times, but we pick her up & make her do several "step ups" in a row to get her to pay attention and not bite.

She is definitely the best birdie I've ever had, even though lots of people will tell you that Quakers tend to get aggressive. Her biggest vice is that she's *very* noisy @ times. She *loves* water, and whenever I have water running in the kitchen, she goes bananas. If we take the time to let her take a shower in the sink & splash around a bit, it usually is enough to keep her happy for the rest of the day. She certainly lets us know, though, when she hasn't had enough playtime in the water!

punkhippiemom
10-22-2005, 01:53 AM
This morning, a co-worker and I got into a discussion about the Doodlebops (yes, I realize how sad that is), and I was determined to find a pic of the three minus all the makeup.

Did you find one???
:rollseyes: Yes I realize I am pathetic as well. :roflhard:

AidanM
10-22-2005, 02:49 AM
Tell me I'm not crazy for thinking that ballet slippers that need to be replaced every month or so are just sh*tty slippers?

KellyK
10-22-2005, 08:47 AM
You are not crazy at ALL, Aidan, that's why the FT clogs are such a godsend!

AidanM
10-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Sadly, I don't think I could dance in them. :rofling: I can just imagine my teachers reaction if I were to walk into class in them, though. Something along the lines of becoming completely unhinged. :roflhard:

KellyK
10-22-2005, 02:59 PM
OH! For some reason I wasnt picturing ACTUAL ballet slippers....I was picturing those Isotoner ballet-style house slippers! :roflhard:

AidanM
10-22-2005, 03:09 PM
:rofling: Nope nope. Aidan is going to be taking ballet classes starting next month, and he is researching shoes. Apparently, a month is considered a normal lifespan. :rollseyes: Whatever, bugger that! There is one brand that lasts a long time, according to the dancers I've talked to, and I'll be buying from them I think.

KellyK
10-22-2005, 04:17 PM
My GOODNESS, Aidan...how in the UNIVERSE are you going to fit dance lessons into your schedule?? :shock: Oh...I forgot....you are young and never need to sleep. :roflhard: That should be LOTS of fun!

Male dancers have nice butts. :shifty:

AidanM
10-22-2005, 04:39 PM
My schedule will have plenty of open nights once Chicago opens.

MaryS
10-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Aidan,

Both my daughters are dancers, and your ballet shoes should last more than a month! Since guys don't use toe shoes, but just flat shoes I'd say you should be able to get AT LEAST six months use out of a pair. The toe shoes are the ones with the really short life. A month to six weeks is average for TOE shoes, even shorter for professional dancers. (And this gets really expensive at about $75 and up per pair!)

I assume you're not going to be dancing five or six hours a day, (then you might use a pair a month) but more like four or five hours a week.

Capezio and Grushko (sp?) both make good ballet shoes that should last for awhile. The leather last longer than the canvas. Both my girls prefer split sole over the normal sole because there is a bit more stretch to them.

Happy dancing :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Mary

DotMom61
10-24-2005, 01:04 PM
First of all: Aidan -- I think you *should* walk in to class in a pair of felted clogs. It would be worth the laugh, don't you think? :roflhard:

Secondly: This forum is a fine example of how important connections with other people are, and how you can *always* find someone who can help you out if only you ask.

MaryS ... your knowledge of ballet shoes ... unbelievable!! This is why people really need to talk to each other! I love it!

There is a woman who runs these seminars about improving your life and doing what you love and all that stuff, and her main theory is that you have to get people together and get them talking, and there will *always* be someone in the group who can help someone else, or know someone who can help someone else. It's all about connections. I wish I could remember her name. I saw her on PBS a while back, and she was incredible. She calls these gatherings "Idea Parties" or something like that. Does anyone know what I'm talking about??

:thinking: Hmmm ... maybe I dreamt this, and *I* should start doing this. I'll be a millionaire! :figureditout:

InterNette
10-27-2005, 08:25 AM
Dotman that could be so true

Aidan congrats and have a wonderful time dancing. I think that is so great. Life is so short and deserves as many experiences and adventures we can have. I think a dance class would feel fabulous. I am a secret admirer of ballroom dancing and am more than thrilled to see it on tv finally. I looks like so much fun.