PDA

View Full Version : OT: I quit today! (Updates added on first post)

Silver
10-05-2005, 06:00 PM
SMOKING that is! I quit smoking today!!!

I've been mulling over quitting for MONTHS. But I knew that I wouldn't until I was ready. Well, today, I went to Walgreens to pick up some smokes, and came home with Nicorette gum instead. I guess I made up my mind.

Please, I need all the encouragement I can get. DH still smokes, but he said this will definitely encourage him to quit too. *crosses fingers*

*telling myself*
go on.. hit submit... submitting the post and telling everyone is committing to quitting.

It's day 19. Still quit.
Join me in The No Smoking Zone (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4766) for updates and encouragement.

amy
10-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Wow Sil!! You've made a huge step in making the decision. Congratulations!
...Make sure you've got a good knitting project on the needles to keep down the figits!

Go Silver Go!!!

http://img140.exs.cx/img140/1526/toot0vz.gif

foldedbird
10-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Good luck, Silver!!! Maybe knitting will keep your hands busy!

KellyK
10-05-2005, 06:10 PM
YOU HAVE A WILL OF STEEL!
YOU CAN DOOOO EEEEEEEEEEET!!!!

*need a muscle flexing emoticon*

LisaD715
10-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Silver!!! I am so PROUD of you!! I know what a hard decision it is to quit. I have a gf who did the same thing and decided one day it was her time to quit, and she has never smoked since. I KNOW of all people YOU can do this!!!!!!

Silver
10-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Thank you!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I know I can do it. Both times I found out I was pregnant, I quit THE same day, cold turkey. And didn't start again until they were at least a year old. This time, I have the gum to fall back on. I have complete faith in myself that I can quit.

I just hope I never start again. :doh:

hedgehog
10-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Good luck, Silver!

When i quit - many, many moons ago - i did it on a whim too. I was thinking that i needed to stop, looked at my last two and thought, "well, when i finish these i'll just not buy another pack". There was no ceremony, just the resolution to simply stop.

Reward your decision and focus your attention by starting a really fun project just for YOU. It'll help, i'm sure!

*fingers crossed*
-hh

Julie
10-05-2005, 06:34 PM
You can do it!! nd you have needles to keep your hands busy... :thumbsup:

margie
10-05-2005, 07:08 PM
That is great news, Silver!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!! The faith in yourself is the most important thing. Have something to fall back on- in those really, really bad - I need one right now or I'll go crazy times- something that you can do to try to push through it. I quit cold turkey the day I met my husband. I had a few times that I thought I'd go back, but I didn't.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

gimmesanity
10-05-2005, 07:31 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
Yay, Sil!!!!

You can do it, chica! You're stronger than those little cancer-sticks, and, more importantly, you are worth it!!!! Quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself and your family. Good luck, momma!

~Sharon

Jeremy
10-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Think of all the money you'll save that you can spend on knitting :thumbsup:

Sara
10-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Your children need you to be there for ALL their special occasions. Your future grandchildren and great grandchildren want to hold your hand and get knitted gifts from you. This is the greatest gift you can give to your family. :heart:

I know this because I lost my father almost 17 years ago to tobacco related illness. I was 20 years old.

Be strong. Get help if you need it. We're here for you. <<hugs>>

SoapDoc
10-05-2005, 08:17 PM
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! That's great news, Sil!!! You can do it, my DH still smokes and I have been smoke free for 14 years....if I can do it, you can do it too!!!

CONGRATS!!!! Just have a ton of knitting projects ready and waiting for you to keep your hands busy. I am sure you will succeed though!!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

ETA: You might find it easier and quicker NOT to even bother using the gum too. I did.

Rorshach
10-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Excellent, Silver, in the decision to quit. It's pretty much one of the toughest decisions to make. first couple of weeks is usually the toughest, but if you make it, then it won't be too much trouble after that.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-05-2005, 08:28 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

The first week sucks! But then it gets better. I quit in january, cold turkey, and every one in a while the FIENDING hits me... then i smell some stinky smoke and I'm like Noooooooooooooooooo thank you!

Congratulations!!!!!!

shellebelle216
10-05-2005, 08:32 PM
I admire you so much! I need to find the will you have found. I hate everything about it but can't seem to find it in me to quit.

mintdee
10-05-2005, 08:44 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
Allright Sil! You Can do it. Knitting the gum and determination are all you need :D

You will feel so much better. You go girl.

feministmama
10-05-2005, 11:38 PM
~~~~~~~~~ :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: ~~~~~~~~

Silver
10-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Thank you everyone! It's day two and I feel fine! :thumbsup:

KellyK
10-06-2005, 08:41 AM
You feel FINE??? That's AWESOME!!!! :cheering:

MaryS
10-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Yay Silver!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Congrats on your decision. We'll give all the moral support you need!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mary

ebrperk
10-06-2005, 09:42 AM
I am so proud of you. Good luck, you will be great.

Robin

brendajos
10-06-2005, 09:57 AM
:happydance: :cheering: :happydance: woo hooo!!!! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Silver
10-06-2005, 09:57 AM
You feel FINE??? That's AWESOME!!!! :cheering:
Yeah! I really do feel FINE. When does the craving and crabbiness kick in? :?? I've had urges to go smoke, especially after eating or when I'm on the phone, but nothing major. I just think to myself, "No, you don't smoke anymore" and it goes away. That's about it.

Maybe it's because of the sheer JOY in my kids' faces when I told them that I quit smoking. You woulda thought I told them we were going to Disney World. :heart:

brendajos
10-06-2005, 10:06 AM
and i was thinking that the ability to reeeeeeeally smell the wool would be motivation....that look on your kids' faces has to be all the motivation you would ever need! Congrats!

1to1
10-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Maybe it's because of the sheer JOY in my kids' faces when I told them that I quit smoking. You woulda thought I told them we were going to Disney World. :heart:

That brought tears to my eyes.

Hope you have another FINE day!! :thumbsup:

Carol_OH
10-06-2005, 11:44 AM
YAY Silver - I still haven't quit :( I get to day three, which is the hardest. Last time around it was the death of one of our cats that got me smoking again. Actually it was ME that got me smoking again. I'm tapering off and am using my upcoming birthday (next week) as my total quit day as I do not want to be 46 and smoking!

I'm so proud of you!!!! :) :thumbsup:

Joel
10-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Go Silver! Go Silver!

yarnpiggy
10-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Way to go, you've made an awesome decision!

May I recommend www.quitnet.com. There are message boards, etc. But I really just use it for the free counter thing. When I start to feel my motivation wavering, I log on and see how many days I've been "smober" and how many cigarettes I haven't smoked. I also like to see the days of my life and dollars saved. It's very encouraging.

~ Michelle

Time smoke free: 67 days, 13 hours, 52 minutes and 15 seconds
Cigs NOT smoked: 676
Lifetime saved: 5 days, 3 hours
Money saved: $144.50 :shock: Thinking of the yarn I should by myself...if only I could find where that money went! lol

KellyK
10-06-2005, 12:29 PM
"smober"
:roflhard:

Silver
10-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks for that link Michelle, that site is great!!

I took the "how addicted are you" test, and the results are indicative of why it's going easy for me so far.

The Fagerstrom test is a rough estimate of your physiological addiction to nicotine. It can give you an idea of where you stand in relationship to other smokers in terms of how physically dependent you are on the active drug in tobacco.

Your score was 20% (2/10 points) on the questionairre.

What does this mean?
Your score on this questionnaire was considerably lower than average. This may mean that you will have less difficulty with physical withdrawal symptoms (cravings, difficulty concentrating and so on) than others. You will still have to concentrate on your triggers to smoke and other "habit" related issues.

That bolded part IS the only issue I'm having right now. It's all about the habit... smoking when I'm on the phone, driving, after meals. THAT'S when I want to smoke. We never smoked in the house... ever. So when I go outside, I wanna smoke... cause it's just habit. What's worse, is staying inside on purpose is making me crave just being outside! :shock:

But all in all, I'm doing fine, but then, it hasn't even been a whole day yet. 5:30 pm will be 24 hours.

Carol_OH
10-06-2005, 02:17 PM
quitnet is GREAT! I'm violet_lemonade there so if you see say hello!

margie
10-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Silver, I think that it is fantastic that you are doing so well!! When I quit smoking, there were those certain triggers that set me off- mainly driving, and after meals. It is amazing how habits are formed like that. For years afterwards, getting in the car could still make me want a cigarette- for about 5 seconds- and then I realized that I really didn't WANT one, it was just that habit kicking in. Congrats again for making such a difficult decision and doing so well so far!! :thumbsup:

kemp
10-06-2005, 04:11 PM
That is fantastic!!! You go, girl :)

suziehomemaker
10-06-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm so proud of you. Your kids are proud of you too.

My parents quit when I told them that I could never lose my dad in a department store because I can recognize his smokers cough. It must have been a good reality check for them because that was it - no more smoking for either of them. Plus I was getting to be a teenager and picking up enough bad habbits on my own!

You're doing a wonderful thing! As a non-smoker I just want to say thank you for quitting. We can all breath easier now!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

LisaD715
10-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Sil....my co-worker told me today she picked Monday as her day to stop smoking (she, her hubby and her MIL are all quitting the same day), another co-worker is quitting on the 17th. (I work for bankruptcy attorneys and the 17th is the day the laws change.....life has been VERY STRESSFUL lately...we cannot squeeze anyone else in for appointments.) I am amazingly proud of both of them, as I am you!! I told them both that you had just quit too, so maybe I can hook all of you up!!!

Andrea
10-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Congratulations on quitting!

I quit April 1st, 2000, so I know how hard it is.

Motivation: your hair will smell like shampoo all day and your yarn won't smell like smoke!! :happydance:

Keep it up!

Silver
10-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Thank you all for the continued motivation!

I've been smoke free for 24 hours now. And I still feel pretty good! :heart:

beldaraan
10-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Very awesome decision Silver!!! Twenty four hours down and a lifetime more to go. *ahhh, breathe deeply*

Silver
10-08-2005, 10:52 AM
DAY 3 UPDATE

Today at 5:30 pm, it'll be 3 full days.

I'm not crabby, not in a bad mood, nothing. I haven't had any cravings, uges out of habit, a bit.. but still they're easy to ignore. Even riding in the car with my DH while he smokes is not a problem! He's not insensitive, mind you. I TOLD him he could smoke. He smokes a different brand than I did anyway. ;)

The only real issues have been that I've been coughing more (as my lungs cleanse themselves), and my throat and sinuses have been dry. Oh.. and I've been snacking more. But hopfully that will pass soon too.

I can't believe how easy this has been for me. I should have quit years ago. :doh:

Ingrid
10-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Way to go Silver!!!

Carol_OH
10-08-2005, 11:07 AM
keep on truckin' on, Silver!!!! :happydance:

KellyK
10-08-2005, 11:16 AM
:notworthy:

mintdee
10-08-2005, 11:57 AM
:balloons: :balloons: :cheering:

Awesome Sil! You deserve some yarn ;)

AidanM
10-08-2005, 12:09 PM
DAY 3 UPDATE

Today at 5:30 pm, it'll be 3 full days.

I'm not crabby, not in a bad mood, nothing. I haven't had any cravings, uges out of habit, a bit.. but still they're easy to ignore. Even riding in the car with my DH while he smokes is not a problem! He's not insensitive, mind you. I TOLD him he could smoke. He smokes a different brand than I did anyway. ;)

The only real issues have been that I've been coughing more (as my lungs cleanse themselves), and my throat and sinuses have been dry. Oh.. and I've been snacking more. But hopfully that will pass soon too.

I can't believe how easy this has been for me. I should have quit years ago. :doh:
Careful of the snacking, though. Nicotine supresses appetite, which you probably know. Make sure you snack healthy! Fruits and veggies and such!

And, yeah, the lungs-clearing thing is pretty amazing. I think I heard somewhere that after about 11 years your lungs will be mostly cleaned out, though never quite the same.

feministmama
10-08-2005, 04:43 PM
And, yeah, the lungs-clearing thing is pretty amazing. I think I heard somewhere that after about 11 years your lungs will be mostly cleaned out, though never quite the same.

11 Years!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

Go Silver Go Silver Go Silver Go Silver Go Silver Go Silver Go Silver :happydance:

AidanM
10-08-2005, 05:01 PM

11 Years!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

Go Silver Go Silver Go Silver Go Silver Go Silver Go Silver Go Silver :happydance:
That's to be almost COMPLETELY cleaned out. You do make lots of progress in between ya' know! :D

Silver
10-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Well today is day 4 so I'm .1% of the way there. :|

Crap. I wish I had never started. :wall:

AidanM
10-09-2005, 02:59 PM

What's happened stays happened. But you've taken the important step of changing what can happen and what will happen in your future. :thumbsup: That's the best thing. Not that you never started, but that you're stopping now.

suziehomemaker
10-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Any luck with getting your DH to quit too? Then you could go thru all of this together.

rebecca
10-11-2005, 10:29 AM

I wish I had never started either...BUT... I quit 17 years ago! If I can do it...YOU CAN DO IT!! I am so very, very proud of you :cheering: :cheering: Perhaps DH will see how easily you are doing and how happy the kids are, and you will be and he will do the same :D
4 days...that is simply WONDERFUL :happydance: :happydance: If you are doing this well 4 days in...you've got it, girl ;) !!!

foldedbird
10-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Keep up the good work for you, Silver...I'm rooting for you!

KellyK
10-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Howarya feeling today, Sil??? :heart:

knitting4babybear
10-11-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm SO jealous. I have a pack and a half a day habit that I just can't kick.

WTG SILVER! KEEP GOING!

Carol_OH
10-11-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm in it with you, Silver! I quit (again) today - my birthday - as I'm sick that I started smoking so late in life (I didn't smoke until I was 40!!!) and now that I just turned 46 enough is enough. I smoke between 6-10 cigs a day and never smoke inside - it's my special 'break' to go outside and have a minute to myself and smoke. So now, I'm gonna try to go outside and have a HEALTHY break and just swing on the porch swing or something for those few smoking minutes.

Day one for me! Let's beat this together!

:thumbsup:

MaryS
10-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Carol,

What a great birthday present to give YOURSELF!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Mary

Joel
10-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Keep on going Silver!!! :thumbsup:

Fantastic Carol! Excellent choice of birthday gift I think.

mintdee
10-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Yea Carol! That is so wonderful :D

Just remember you can do it!

Go Sil keep up the marvolous work!

wildforyarn
10-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Way to go Silver! Keep up the good work. I, like you, quit smoking back in May, 1996. I was a person who did not smoke in the house and only about 1/2 pack a day. It was a habit that I had to break. Time will go by pretty fast. The hardest part was being around those habit times, like driving, being on the phone, etc. Now, I have a craving every once in a while, but now when I have a cigarette most of the time, I hate it!

Also, good for you Carol to get on the bandwagon and quit as well. You and Silver will have to be support for each other!

javede
10-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Congrats for Quiting and keep going Silver!
And don't worry about the long time it will take to almost completely clean your lungs. You will feel better after a few weeks! Like more breath and such.
Atleast that's what my dad says. He quit smoking early this year when he had to stay some time in hospital(heart problems). For him it was habbit problems as well, especially at work where almost anyone smokes. But he's sticking to it!

Congrats to you Carol too!

[What? me quiting? sometime in the future...maybe]

Silver
10-12-2005, 10:08 AM
HOORAY CAROL!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I'm still doing great. Today makes one week since I quit! :)

Smoke free for Six Days, 16 Hours and 37 Minutes.
I've not smoked 100 cigarettes and saved $14.01.
I've saved 8 Hours of my life.

MaryS
10-12-2005, 12:20 PM
WAY TO GO SILVER!!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

KEEP IT UP :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mary

rebecca
10-12-2005, 12:25 PM
:cheering: :cheering: WTG Silver, happy 1 week anniversary :balloons:
It looks like you have gotten others inspired to quit, too....YAY FOR ALL OF YOU!!!! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Joel
10-12-2005, 12:58 PM
HOORAY CAROL!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I'm still doing great. Today makes one week since I quit! :)

That's fantastic Silver!!!! Keep it up!

Here's an additional thought.... on savings. It's not just the cost of the cigs... it's also the reduced number of docs visits for you and family too.... a number that may be hard to quantify but definately is there.

dustinac
10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Way to go!!! :thumbsup:

kemp
10-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Awesome! :happydance:

Joel
10-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Silver... its been 2 more days since you last posted on this thread.... what's going on with you? You still kicking this habit?

And Carol what's up with you too? You havent posted on here in a while either.

SoapDoc
10-14-2005, 04:13 PM

EXCELLENT, Silver! I knew you could do it when you were ready!!

Do you know that if you lived in NY, you would have saved over $50.00! That is what a carton of cigs. cost here now. Pretty sad the price you pay for the pleasure of killing yourself, isn't it??

Keep up the great work.

SoapDoc
10-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Day one for me! Let's beat this together!

WTG, Carol!!!! This is excellent news too!! Wish I could get my hubby to quit...sigh....

Silver
10-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Still 100% smoke free!

Smoke free for 11 days, 15 Hours and 16 Minutes.
I've not smoked 175 cigarettes and saved $24.36.
I've saved 14 Hours of my life.

KellyK
10-17-2005, 09:28 AM
AWESOME news, SIl!!

Joel
10-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Still 100% smoke free!

Smoke free for 11 days, 15 Hours and 16 Minutes.
I've not smoked 175 cigarettes and saved $24.36.
I've saved 14 Hours of my life.

:cheering: :balloons: :cheering:
:balloons: :cheering: :balloons:
:cheering: :balloons: :cheering:

Julie
10-17-2005, 11:17 AM
That's fabulous Silver!! WTG!!! :cheering:

dustinac
10-17-2005, 11:53 AM
:happydance: Thats wonderful!!! Congrats :cheering:

LisaD715
10-17-2005, 12:00 PM
AWESOME JOB, SIL!!!!!!! I am so happy for you!! Are you going to save up all your money saved to buy yarn?!?!?!?! :XX: :XX:

foldedbird
10-19-2005, 02:01 AM
14 more hours of knitting, and $25 you can spend on yarn! woot woot. That's 12 skeins of WOTA!!!

Silver
10-24-2005, 01:57 PM
bumping

Julie
10-24-2005, 04:47 PM
How's it going, Silver??