PDA

View Full Version : Blanket (needle size) question

JessicaR
10-07-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm making my first blanket, made out of sewn together squares. The needle size calls for 10, but dang are they small! It's going to take forever. Can I sub size 15 needles or would the weave be so large that the blanket wouldn't be warm? Thanks!

JessicaR
10-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Or size 13? Anything but these teeny tiny tens!

Ingrid
10-07-2005, 11:17 PM
It's hard to tell. Knit up a swatch and see. Or you could double the yarn, use the 15's and it would realllllly go fast!

JessicaR
10-07-2005, 11:20 PM
I hate swatches :D I did one for the 15, not happy with it, I'm going to try 13 next.

JessicaR
10-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Ok, it looks really good doubling the yarn and using the size 15 needles, however, am I using twice the yarn? Kinda a dumb question, but if you use a bigger needles on a project are you using less yarn? If I am using twice as much I'm going to have to go with a cheaper yarn, I have $30 worth into it as it is.

Ingrid
10-08-2005, 12:20 AM
You'll be doubling the strands, but your blanket will get bigger faster. I'm not sure if you'll have to do half the stitches to get the same size or not. I suppose you could check the gauge of the pattern compared to the gauge you're getting on the doubled yarn and big needles and see? Sorry, I don't really know how to compute this. :??

I'm pretty sure that you won't use twice the yarn. I would go as far as I could and see if it's big enough, but that decisions up to you.

JessicaR
10-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Confusing, you're right. I guess just go for it and I can always scrap it later. Everything would work out better if I just used those darn 10s, but I just don't have the patients just yet. Not for something this big :rollseyes: