PDA

View Full Version : Finished my 2nd hat

susies1955
10-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Today is my ONE WEEK anniversary of knitting. :)
I finished my second hat "early" this morning. I had intended to make it for my daughter in law BUT it will fit my 3 year old grandson.
The first hat I did said to knit for 8 inches and it was huge yarn. I thought it was funny that this pattern said to go 6 inches and it was very small yarn. I was thinking the teacher should have known that it would be very small. HUM! :)
The photos are the last two.......the blue hat:
http://community.webshots.com/album/465294739WjNesT
Susie

mintdee
10-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Good lookin' hat! Funny how things turn out sometimes isn't it. :D

KellyK
10-08-2005, 02:32 PM
GREAT job!

Was your gauge the same as the pattern called for? Sometimes you have to go up or down a needle size to get it to match, depending on your personal knitting habits.

liznwillow
10-08-2005, 02:46 PM
GREAT JOB! I can't believe you've only been knitting for ONE WEEK! I just started making hats (because I was scared before) and I've been knitting for almost 3 years. I guess I'm just a chicken. :lol:

susies1955
10-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Sandra, Kelly and Liz,
Thanks for liking my hat. The teacher is the one who suggested doing a hat after I practiced for about an hour. I was thinking a dish cloth. LOL.
She had me pick out the yarn. The pattern she gave me is a Multi Gauge Beanie Hat for teens and adults. You just follow the pattern according to the stitch per inch chart.
The teacher gave me the needles she said I would need and showed me on the pattern which to follow.
Oh well. Hopefully Drew will like it. LOL.
Thanks,
Susie

Ingrid
10-08-2005, 03:07 PM
One week and two hats!! Impressive first projects. :thumbsup:

earthchick
10-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Very cute! I'm so impressed. I'm still trying to get up the nerve to try a hat....

susies1955
10-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Ingrid,
Thanks for liking my hat and for all of your help,
Susie

Ingrid
10-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Very cute! I'm so impressed. I'm still trying to get up the nerve to try a hat....

It takes nerve to jump out of an airplane. A knitted hat is yarn and needles. No nerve needed! ;)

susies1955
10-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Earthchick,
Give a hat a whirl. Seeing you know how to knit it will be a breeze for you.
Susie

KellyK
10-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Earthchick, what's there to be scared of?? What's the WORST that can happen.....Im sending you some BRAVERY!! :pray:

rebecca
10-08-2005, 05:01 PM
:cheering: :cheering: WTG...wonderful work!! LOVE, Love the hat!! I thought that I would pass along my favorite hat tutorial (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm), which simply gives very simple (once you read them over once ;)) directions on how to make a hat with any size yarn for anyone's head...I use it for all of my hats...works like a charm ;)
earthchick...give it a go, knitting hats is fun, fun, fun :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

susies1955
10-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Rebecca,
Thanks for liking my hat and for the hat tutorial. It looks like Greek to me right now but I'm sure one day I'll understand it. I saved it.
:)
Susie

rebecca
10-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I promise once u read over it a few times...perhaps after knitting a bit more...it will be a great reference ;) ! You are doing a fantastic job :happydance: :happydance:

susies1955
10-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Rebecca,
I'm sure it will seem VERY simple one day soon and I'll give it a try. Math really has always been hard for me and anything with numbers intimidates me.
I grabbed my yarn and practiced a slip knot to see if I remember how to do it and I practiced casting on and even tried a few rows of knit and then purl. :)
Fun, fun, fun.
Thanks,
Susie

rebecca
10-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Girl...u sound like me..I detest #'s....yuck!! I'm happy to hear that you are having fun knitting...that's the most important thing ;)