PDA

View Full Version : OT: Thanksgiving

beldaraan
10-09-2005, 07:10 PM
I made homemade pumpkin pie without using dairy. I made it with diluted tofu and all of the guys liked it. :shock:

Eat well and rest well :thumbsup:

Ingrid
10-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Happy Thanksgiving!!

amy
10-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Happy Thanksgiving Beldie, and to all you Canadians!! :heart:

Beldie, isn't the official day tomorrow? That's what my (apparently international) calendar says.

Glad you had such a nice meal!

Joel
10-09-2005, 11:32 PM
I made homemade pumpkin pie without using dairy. I made it with diluted tofu and all of the guys liked it. :shock:

Eat well and rest well :thumbsup:

I'll be right over! :roflhard:

Luckily, my wife does the same thing for me...

koolbreeze
10-10-2005, 10:05 AM
ya'll had me confused for a minute.

Ingrid
10-10-2005, 10:15 AM

Did you think you forgot to cook the turkey? :rofling:

jodstr2
10-10-2005, 10:28 AM

Did you think you forgot to cook the turkey? :rofling:

:roflhard:

dang close! I was like, oh no... what are we supposed to be doing... who's coming over... oh s***...

koolbreeze
10-10-2005, 01:07 PM
me cook on Thanksgiving??? you have got to be kiddin me! i don't do big meals. i let someone else half kill themselves!

but i was thinking its not Nov.

rebecca
10-10-2005, 01:11 PM
me cook on Thanksgiving??? you have got to be kiddin me! i don't do big meals. i let someone else half kill themselves!

but i was thinking its not Nov.

I'm with you on the 'not cooking' Carmell...we all pitch in & everyone cooks, there's no one person that does all of the cooking ;)

Happy Thanksgiving, Belie and all Canadians!!! Sounds yummy, yummy...did u tell them after they ate it that there was no dairy?!

MaryS
10-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to Beldie and knitqueen, their families and friends, and all our other wonderful Canadians. :cheering: :cheering:

I'm in the Detroit area, so lots of Canadians around and as co-workers!

Happy Day!

Mary

Virtuella
10-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Please, could anyone tell me, in easy language, what is thanksgiving? Of course I have heard of it, and know it has something with pumpkin and tukey to do.. but what?
What do you celebrate, and why? :??

Ingrid
10-10-2005, 03:15 PM
In the US, the Thanksgiving feast is supposed to represent a feast between the Pilgrims that first settled here and the Indians that were here already (OK for political correctness--Native Americans).

There is some question that such a feast really took place--some sources say not, some say it lasted a week.

But it is our tradition to have a large, family-filled meal of traditional foods--turkey, pumpkin pie, etc. on the third Thursday in November. It is a time for us to give thanks for all the things we have--family being the most important.

Then next day we start Christmas shopping in earnest!

To be perfectly honest, I don't know what the Canadians are thankful for--except maybe that they ARE Canadians! One of them will have to fill us all in on the meaning of Thanksgiving in Canada.

beldaraan
10-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Yes, Monday is the actual day, but most people I know celebrate on the Sunday. The guys were funny. I asked them how the pie was and they all said it tasted great and just like pumpkin pie (see, it was my first attempt at baking a pie). I said, "Oh good, because I had to make it with tofu to replace the milk." They were good about it.

knitqueen
10-10-2005, 10:32 PM
To be perfectly honest, I don't know what the Canadians are thankful for

:fingerwag: Ingrid that sounds so meeeeeean!!!! Actually, I just wanted to use the finger wag enoticon...never have before, and it was FUN!!!

If you want to know the history of Canadian Thanksgiving, here's a little website I found that gives the brief story: http://www.kidsturncentral.com/holidays/thanksgiving.htm

HAPPY THANKSGIVING CANADIANS!!!! :D

We had turkey dinner on Saturday and today. Mmmmmmmmm! :happydance:

Ingrid
10-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Oh, no, no, no--I said I don't know what Canadians are thankful for except that they are Canadians! That's a good, prideful, nationalistic thing. I was going to say they were thankful they aren't Americans, but that might offend someone! ;)

LisaD715
10-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Here I am late again......Happy belated Thanksgiving!!! I hope it was a peaceful, reflective, relaxing, and joyous time for you!

knitqueen
10-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Ingrid, ya know I was just joking, right?? ;)

Something I, as a Canadian, am thankful for?.........'knowing' so many of you crazy knittin' ladies, Americans and all!!! ;)

Ingrid
10-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Of course! :happydance:

Virtuella
10-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Thank you all for answering me!