PDA

View Full Version : Can someone convince me...

Ladybug
10-09-2005, 08:14 PM
that I am *eventually* going to get better? Man, I am sooo bad at this right now...crooked, too tight stitches. I know practice makes perfect, but I feel like I'm not getting the least bit better.

Any words of advice or encouragement would be SO appreciated...

Ingrid
10-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Good lord!! Our Kelly started to knit in January of this year. Have you seen her stuff? So many of our knitters came here to learn, and now the work that's posted here is phenomenal! Does anyone learn to play the piano in one week? Learn anything, really?

The more you knit, the better you'll get. Just keep on and on and on and on, and you'll develop even stitches and tension. In fact, put away something that you knit now. Just for a couple of months. Then pull it out. If you've stuck with knitting, you'll be laughingly amazed!

Vendie
10-09-2005, 08:30 PM
You WILL get more comfortable with it, trust me! Just keep practicing and suddenly it will all just come together! And then you'll wonder why you thought it was so hard :thumbsup:

Silver
10-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Your fingers need to learn what to do just like they did when you learned to write.

You got better at writing, right? :)

AidanM
10-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Knitting is like riding a bike. Your stitches may fall off, you make scream and curse a lot, and you may even hurt yourself a little. But eventually you'll be able to do it without even thinking!

Ladybug
10-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks!! :) I just needed to hear that I wasn't the only one who had a slow start

:XX:

margie
10-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Lesley- I CRIED the first night I tried to learn to knit!! Now, although I wouldn't venture so far as to say I am "good"- I have come a long ways from then, and I've been knitting for about 3-4 months. It will get easier the more you do it. Keep trying!! :cheering:

aprildavis99
10-10-2005, 09:05 AM
So true. It took me months of starting then stopping when the frustration got to me. I tried so many times and gave up. :shock:

I can honestly say that this site has been the best thing I stumbled upon. I picked it up after watching these videos over and over and over while I practiced. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

I used to have to think to myself, "loosen up your shoulders, this should be relaxing!" over and over to myself. :doh:

Now, of course, I have come to love knitting and have started my stash of needles and needles and needles..etc! :rofling: :rofling:

Keep at it and remember to keep those first swatches and projects. It's so funny to go back and see how much you have improved. :thumbsup:

:XX:

franna724
10-10-2005, 09:17 AM
You will get better TRUST ME ON THIS ONE....

I just started knitting in October 2004 and I've seen a dramatic improvement in a little more than a year.

I knitted all the pieces to a stuffed monkey for my 5 year old daughter shortly after I learned to knit. She's been begging me to finish it, so I picked up the pieces and had to force myself to work with them. I saw too tight cast ons and bind offs, changes in tension...it was horrid. I finished it anyway, and she loves it. I'll just try to hide it when company comes over--it would ruin my reputation. :rofling:

Ingrid
10-10-2005, 09:32 AM
*Quick! Someone's at the door! HIDE THE MONKEY!* :roflhard:

knitting4babybear
10-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Lesley- I CRIED the first night I tried to learn to knit!! Now, although I wouldn't venture so far as to say I am "good"- I have come a long ways from then, and I've been knitting for about 3-4 months. It will get easier the more you do it. Keep trying!! :cheering:

Awww I did too....
I think it's so neat when people cry when they want to. :)

I'll get there right along with you. I'm exactly where you are now. In a few months we'll look back at these posts and laugh. Keep going! We'll get there! :XX:

franna724
10-10-2005, 10:20 AM
*Quick! Someone's at the door! HIDE THE MONKEY!* Rolling On Floor Laughing Hard

Seriously, that's how it is. I said to her over the weekend, "Now, Francesca, there's no need to show Auntie and Uncle your monkey."

:roflhard:

Anna

jodstr2
10-10-2005, 10:20 AM
you will be fine. just stick with it. all great advice in the posts before me.
I started in Dec '04. I threw my needles down a few times, swore at the cat just for walking in the room a few times (sorry kitty :(), and almost gave up many times. it took me 4 months to do a purl stitch, I just COULDN'T get the hang of it. now I love knitting it so much I can't go a day without a few stitches and am knitting for everyone on our Christmas list. I saved my very first piece, a garter stitch scarf made with Lion Homespun that's uneven and tangled and knotted and varies in width from 3" to 7" (unintentional) just to remind myself that I can improve at stuff if I stick to it.

Joel
10-10-2005, 10:46 AM

Oh geez Ingrid.... :rollseyes: You know damn well with this group where a statement like that can be taken....

:shock: :roflhard:

Ingrid
10-10-2005, 10:48 AM

Oh geez Ingrid.... :rollseyes: You know damn well with this group where a statement like that can be taken....

Do you actually think I didn't think of that!!! :roflhard:

sogrammatical
10-10-2005, 10:53 AM
From what I've figured out, knitting has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with patience.

I learned to knit back in February because I was too sick to do homework, and I ended up making this hideous lop-sided potholder that I gave to my mother (she keeps it in the back of a drawer). And now I just finished my first sock!

So stick with it. Your fingers need to learn how to do it - it's all about muscle memory. You will get better!

Joel
10-10-2005, 11:01 AM

Oh... I suspected that's exactly why you said it.

So.... do we need to find a banana for the hidden monkey?

Joel
10-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Ingrid.... just for you....

It's sorta work safe....

http://www.funfilesandsmiles.com/pictures/monkeysboogers.htm

Ingrid
10-10-2005, 11:14 AM

brendajos
10-10-2005, 11:15 AM

Oh... I suspected that's exactly why you said it.

So.... do we need to find a banana for the hidden monkey?

oy you two...and then it was compounded with...

Seriously, that's how it is. I said to her over the weekend, "Now, Francesca, there's no need to show Auntie and Uncle your monkey."

you people are just naughty!...lol. we sure are a dirty bunch for a buncha little ol' ladies in rocking chairs aren't we? ;)

Ingrid
10-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Shame on us all!

Joel
10-10-2005, 11:28 AM
you people are just naughty!...lol. we sure are a dirty bunch for a buncha little ol' ladies in rocking chairs aren't we? ;)

And now I'm getting a sex change apparently too.... :shock:

Ingrid
10-10-2005, 11:30 AM

And now I'm getting a sex change apparently too.... :shock:

SURPRISE!

I think she was talking about knitting stereotypes--none of us fit them!

franna724
10-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey, I wasn't trying to be naughty. I was talking about an actual monkey...the animal...

Oh, boy, no matter how you word it, it just doesn't sound good.

Anna

Ladybug
10-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Oh my god.

You guys are killing me!!!! :roflhard:

Joel, if you get a sex change..you won't have to do much to your name..just add a Y to the end and you'll be all set :roflhard:

Ladybug
10-10-2005, 12:50 PM
I saved my very first piece, a garter stitch scarf made with Lion Homespun that's uneven and tangled and knotted and varies in width from 3" to 7" (unintentional) just to remind myself that I can improve at stuff if I stick to it.

Jodi, that is EXACTLY what I am working on now and I think the description of yours fits mine to a tee. LOL. You, along with everyone else, have given me much hope :happydance:

Ingrid
10-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Oh my god.

Joel, if you get a sex change..you won't have to do much to your name..just add a Y to the end and you'll be all set :roflhard:

He's already adopted 'Louise' as his middle name!! :roflhard:

Joel
10-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Oh my god.

He's already adopted 'Louise' as his middle name!! :roflhard:

i thought about mentioning that.... :D

For those of you wondering what the hell she's talking about... click here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3472&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=joel+louise&start=0)

rebecca
10-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Lesley, I started knitting in June 04 & have my 1st scarf saved for 'memory' to see from whence I came, so to speak...it's all curvy from picking up sts where i wasn't supposed to & dropping sts where I didn't need to!! But, with practice knittingh will actually become very soothing and zen like. I am in constant pain bc of a disability (lots of hip replacement, hip surgeries, yada, yada, yada) that I have had for years and am very, very thankful to have discovered knitting and it's therapeutic properties bc it's the only thing that I have ever run across that I can do that helps me to keep my mind off of the pain. I'm telling you this to let you know that you are going to very quickly reach a point where the knitting is 2nd nature and very, very soothing & relaxing & extremely enjoyable and...you will LOVE IT ;)

brendajos
10-10-2005, 02:01 PM
lol...look at rebecca trying to bring order back to this madness! :rofling:

Leslie you will find yourself soon amongst all of us who can never find enough moments to knit and we will knit at any moment we can find. As has been well chronicled here, i knit at the movie theatre all the time. in fact i think that it is the biggest reason i go to the movies so much anymore. it is 2 hours where i can sit and not have to get up to do anything else. i don't work on hard projects there ...just stuff i can pretty much just knit in the round so i can do it by touch. i also knit at stop lights. anywhere i can get a couple of stitches in. Going to mom's next weekend and will make her drive where ever we are going so i can knit there too. i work 14 hours a day between the job that pays the bills and the one that pays for the yarn!....i have to sneak those moments in and i have NEVER been obsessed with any hobby that i have started like this. i was even knitting standing in line at target yesterday!...lol

you will join us soon i am sure...mwahahahaha

(and yes, i was talking about the stereotypes...sheeeesh)

mintdee
10-10-2005, 02:18 PM
i also knit at stop lights.
Yea I did that once. Cop saw me, pulled me over, made me put my stuff in the trunk :shock: and then made promise to never do it again. :roflhard: :roflhard:

Ingrid
10-10-2005, 02:20 PM
That is tooo funny!

That reminds me of the joke:

A blond is knitting as she's driving.
The cops yell, "Pull over!"
She says, "No, cardigan!"

mintdee
10-10-2005, 02:26 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:
thoes silly blondes! :P

brendajos
10-10-2005, 02:35 PM
i also knit at stop lights.
Yea I did that once. Cop saw me, pulled me over, made me put my stuff in the trunk :shock: and then made promise to never do it again. :roflhard: :roflhard:

i think i would be confused as to how i am suppose to drive from the trunk!...lol as it is, if i were in motion i would expect him to pull me over but if i am at a stop light he better let me knit or i will start honking at eveybody who is in front of me!

dustinac
10-10-2005, 04:06 PM
:roflhard: You guys!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

I just learned in May/June of this year and made several things just hang in there and practice practice... although I did alot better when Brendajos told me to stop ripping it out and just keep knitting it!! Then I had a goal of something to make.. My first dishcloth has a corner that goes uppppppp but it was my first LOL just keep trying!!

I knit while waiting for dr's appt, hair cut, or while dh is driving... the rest of the time is when the kids allow it ROTFLOL :XX: :XX: