PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

Jaxhil
10-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Hello, my name is Hilary-I have been knitting sporadically for a few years. I learned about 5 or 6 years ago but didn't keep it up. I taught myself the Continental style knitting from the book "Knitting in Plain English" by Maggie Righetti. It looked like less effort than English style, and I was afraid to let go of the needles for even long enough to throw my yarn over, lol!

My first "big" project (not including a few dishclothes and baby booties), started at least 5 years ago, and quite possibly more, was just finished a couple weeks ago. Its a plain old vest with garter stitch borders and stockinette stitch everywhere else. Not terribly attractive, and its way too big too-but I was so proud that I actually finished it! I love the yarn color though so I may rip it out and redo it. Someday. ;)

I am so happy to have found this site, what an incredible learning source Amy's videos are!! Thank you for them, they are wonderful!! Not to mention so many great knitters-seeing y'all's projects is a great motivator!

I am really enjoying seeing what everyone's making. I am a sewer also and I can't wait to make my own knitting needle cases. I am currently working on a sweater for my two yr old daughter, Grace. Its the baby sweater from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts". I'm using a pretty lavendar baby yarn from my LYS and its making such a soft fabric :D I want to knit my DH a sweater too, but I thought I'd start small, LOL!

I already have a very bad yarn addiction...and this in addition to a *truly* massive fabric stash :rollseyes: I'm in big trouble :D but I love it!! I (not so) secretly wish I lived in a nice cold Northern climate so I could have an excuse for making a whole wardrobe of warm beautiful sweaters. On the other hand, short sleeve lightweight sweaters must be faster and cheaper, right? South Texas is not bulky sweater heaven, *sigh*

Anyway, I am really glad to have found this great place!

:XX:

happy Knitster Hilary

Ingrid
10-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Welcome Hilary! You sound like an addict, just like the rest of us. I agree that kids' sweaters are a great way to start--all the techniques in less time.
I live in the northern climate, and love making nice wooly sweaters. I would really think twice about moving south, even though I'm really tired of snow!

jodstr2
10-11-2005, 05:17 PM
:waving: welcome, Hilary! :waving:

you will :heart: :heart: :heart: it here!

Joel
10-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Welcome Hilary... glad to have you join us.

:thumbsup:

liznwillow
10-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Welcome Hilary! I have the Last-minute knitted gifts book too. I love it! I got it as a gift last year for Xmas. Are you doing the orange pullover with the green buttons (pictured)? I love that sweater!!! Let us know how it's going!

BTW: I really want to make the sweater on pg. 112 for me!

Mer
10-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Hi Hilary! Welcome. Where in south Texas are you? Further south than me? I know what you mean about the climate--but you can knit tank tops year round! And you might need a sweater for 10 days out of the year. :D

Jaxhil
10-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Wow, thanks for such a warm welcome!! I already luv it here :D

Liz, yes that's the one!! Isn't it cute? I've got about 4 inches knitted so far, and I started yesterday-it's going fast! Well so far-I'm really nervous about the sleeves and the placket, though! I've never gotten too far on DPN's, but I guess I gotta learn someday! I made two of the mohair and wool ribbed scarves, too, using some Rowan wool and a fluffy mohair type I had, and also one from Lions brand thick and quick plus Paton's Divine. I will try to post a pic if I can figure out how! I was going to send them to my DMIL in Montana and now I found out she's coming back to Texas! Don't know how useful they'll be now, but they are purty!

Mer, I'm in San Antonio-its actually "cool" today, at about 74 right now-I'm lovin it!

Oh, Willow is soooo adorable!! She reminds me of my DD who loves to run off with my yarn and sewing stuff :D

Hilary

KellyK
10-11-2005, 07:10 PM
WELCOME! Dive on in!! :waving:

Vendie
10-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Hi Hilary!! :waving: We're happy to have another knit addict here!

liznwillow
10-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Hilary, I just took a trip to San Antonio in June! Whaddya know!!! :lol: My DBF has a lot of family in Texas (San Antonio, Austin, Kingsville, Houston) and we went there to bury his parents. :( Not the best reason to visit, but it was good to meet that half of the family. I'll have to let you know when we travel through there again!!

SoapDoc
10-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Welcome, Hilary! You are going to fit right in here with the rest of us addicts :) Hey, at least it's a healthy addiction, right??

About the DPN's, don't be afraid of them. They look intimidating, but it's really just like regular knitting when you're working with them (IOW, you only use two needles at a time) and knitting socks was my third project EVER (thanks to our own Silver and her most excellent tutorial http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm) when a couple of weeks before that I could not even cast on (learned how to do that from this WONDERFUL site, I will be forever grateful to Amy too!!)!

All I am really trying to say is YOU CAN DO IT!! Go for it and if you run in to trouble, there are great people here that are more than willing to help you along every step of the way. It's a pretty awesome place!

Happy :XX:

aprildavis99
10-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi Hilary. Nice to meet a knit-a-holic. This is just the place for you.
:XX: April

dustinac
10-12-2005, 04:26 PM
:cheering: Welcome!!! :D

rebecca
10-12-2005, 06:22 PM
:waving: Hey from down South and welcome!! Look forward to getting to know you :D ! I have to go look thru my LMKG book and find the sweater that you are working on. AND...WTG finishing your vest :cheering: :cheering: